20 dead in two U.S. missile strikes in Pakistan

posted at 3:23 pm on January 23, 2009 by Allahpundit

A candygram from The One to AQ: No change, no hope.

Security officials said the strikes, which saw up to five missiles slam into houses in separate villages, killed seven “foreigners” – a term that usually means al-Qaeda – but locals also said that three children lost their lives…

Eight people died when missiles hit a compound near Mir Ali, an al-Qaeda hub in Pakistan’s North Waziristan region. Seven more died when hours later two missiles hit a house in Wana, in South Waziristan. Local officials said the target in Wana was a guest house owned by a pro-Taleban tribesman. One said that as well as three children, the tribesman’s relatives were killed in the blast.

“I suspect a high-value target may be among the dead,” a Pakistani official tells WaPo, but Roggio hasn’t heard of any big fish being involved. I could have sworn that I read somewhere a few months back that Bush had expanded Centcom’s discretion to undertake these attacks on its own, without approval from the top, but after searching for half an hour I’ve come up empty. Doesn’t matter: Presumably that rule would have been suspended after Obama was sworn in lest a freelance operation spoil his plans for Pakistan, which in turn means he must have signed off on this one. Smells like a message to the other side that he means business. Mission accomplished.

The left, you’ll be pleased to know, is already starting to kick around “non-military solutions” to the good war in Afghanistan. Exit question: Never mind the drone strikes, which anyone to the right of Dennis Kucinich would have continued. How about reinstating this policy, which Bush set and then quickly un-set after Pakistan complained? And while we’re at it, where do we stand on this?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

huh? I am very much a hawk.

Noneya on January 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Does not compute … warning! warning! warning!

darwin on January 23, 2009 at 4:29 PM

as well as three children

Oprah cried, kids died!

I demand that Obama be tried as a war criminal.

mankai on January 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM

You`ve tasted the enemies blood now Obama……You like it, don`t you? :)

ThePrez on January 23, 2009 at 4:32 PM

huh? I am very much a hawk. I always love to take shots at HA but that wasn’t one of ‘em…

Noneya on January 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM

This is the first I’ve heard you say this, or at least the first that I can recall.

Esthier on January 23, 2009 at 4:33 PM

“Obama should do whatever it takes to protect the United States.”
-John17 on Huffington Post

Why is it when the people on the right said this, we were all called bloodthirsty warmongers? Remember the lovely photo of John McCain with fangs and blood dripping out of his mouth? I’m sure we will be seeing the same photo of Obama any day (I am rolling my eyes). The left’s double standard is nauseating.

I picked up my daughter at school and mentioned the airstrikes in Pakistan to her Kool-aid drinking teacher. Teach is confident that this was a standing order from Geo. Bush and that Obama couldn’t possibly have had enough time to learn of this. She is certain if he had been informed, he would have called it off. Obama could personally fly to Pakistan and start picking-off school children with a sniper rifle and the cult would still blame Republicans.

Note to self: talk to husband about parochial school.

ExcessivelyDiverted on January 23, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Oddly enough … if they want to charge Bush with “war crimes”, they’ll now have to charge Obama with the same.

darwin on January 23, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Very clever pun, AP.

DaveS on January 23, 2009 at 4:35 PM

On the front page, I mean.

DaveS on January 23, 2009 at 4:36 PM

This, for me, erases quite a bit of the goodwill we received from the announcement of the closing of GITMO yesterday.

flyfisher on January 23, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Huffington Post is stewing in it’s own Juices, and Obama capped 20 Terrorist in their collective Asses…today was a good day. I feel like Song…”Hey Man Nice Shot” Filter.

Dr Evil on January 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM

It’s wonderful isn’t it. And lest anyone misunderstand Dr. Evil’s post, he was quoting me quoting some tool over at Huffington Post. I’m angry about GITMO!

flyfisher on January 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Esthier on January 23, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I did support Hillary (who talked about nuking Iran and voted for the war) after all…

Noneya on January 23, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Wait! Obama’s military “raiding villages and killing civilians”? Say it ain’t so, Joe!

littleguy on January 23, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Noneya on January 23, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Dude, that was before she confided that the wiley GWB had cleverly duped her into that vote!

littleguy on January 23, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Al Zawahiri smack down in the tubes. Lets get ready to rumble…I don’t know about Pakistan, does anyone really go there for holiday, what have you, would you miss it? I mean there are still a whole lot of Country’s left that names still end in Stan.

Dr Evil on January 23, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Sure it wasn’t an aspirin factory?

PappaMac on January 23, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Smells like a message to the other side that he means business. Mission accomplished. Allahpundit

Smells like BS to me, AP.

Careful with them thar words, “Mission Accomplished”! You must said your 5 prayers today cause you is delusional, boy.

klickink.wordpress.com on January 23, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Here’s a fine example of liberal logic and double standards from HuffPo, of course …

Very simple.

Bush dropped bombs for political capital.

Obama drops bombs to protect his country.

Posted 03:59 PM on 01/23/2009

darwin on January 23, 2009 at 4:14 PM

You’ve got to be kidding me? Where is DeathToMediaHacks and Dave Rywall when the fun starts?

kirkill on January 23, 2009 at 4:48 PM

littleguy on January 23, 2009 at 4:43 PM

If Rumsfeld and Bremer hadn’t bungled it so badly I’m sure she would have stood by her vote even stronger, the war wouldn’t have been so big an issue in the primaries and she’d be president today

Noneya on January 23, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Do not be distracted by the war.

If Obama continues this policy, good for him (for us, actually). But it does not prove that he is less of an ultra-leftist.

The left has never been anti-war. It only uses it to discredit its domestic enemies. The left is interested controlling the culture and the economy at home. If Obama needs to kill a few terrorists to get people to line up behind him while he changes America, he will kill a few terrorists. But the one constant in everything he says and does is that America is the pits and not worth preserving. He´s no Lincoln. Has he ever said anything admiring, respectful or loving about America and its people except in that perfunctory, almost pained way?

That is my conviction after watching him for over a year.

el gordo on January 23, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Noneya on January 23, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Very sincerely doubt it. Your peers on the Left were determined to turn Iraq into Vietnam from day one.

Esthier on January 23, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Noneya on January 23, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Hmm, I completely agree with you. What the hell just happened?

BadgerHawk on January 23, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Esthier on January 23, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Yeah, but imagine if we’d had the post surge success in 2005 or early 2006. It wouldn’t have cost her nearly as much in the primaries and she likely would have won.

BadgerHawk on January 23, 2009 at 4:56 PM

If Rumsfeld and Bremer hadn’t bungled it so badly

20/20 hindsight. It’s wasn’t an easy situation, and we had the MSM 100% against Rumsfeld and Bremer, so that didn’t help. Like Esthier said, the MSM treated it like Vietnam from day 1.

kirkill on January 23, 2009 at 5:00 PM

BadgerHawk on January 23, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I don’t know. Without Iraq being the issue it was, Republicans even had a chance. I just can’t see it, not with Cindy Sheehan and others like her out on this issue by 2003.

Esthier on January 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM

If’s and But’s were candy and nuts, et.al.

Had the media, all of U.S. for that matter, presented a United Front from the beginning of the war in Iraq, we would have been out of there in 3 years or less. The way it was, Iraqi Citizens and Al Quada saw the split in the U.S. Populas.

Iraqi Citizens weren’t sure if the U.S. was going to stay and complete the task.

Al Quada used the media and the bad publicity against us.

PappaMac on January 23, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Where does the left stand now on killing innocent children?

Entelechy on January 23, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Esthier on January 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Yeah, it’s tough to know for sure, and as kirkill points out hindsight is 20/20. The far left whackos were out in force in 1991 also, but no one gives them the time of day when the war goes smashingly. I think it’s fairly safe to say that had Iraq not been an issue we wouldn’t have President Obama right now. And as painful as it sounds, I’d rather have President Clinton than him OR McCain right now.

I still think the financial crisis would have cost McCain big no matter he faced, though.

I’m gone for the night, so I won’t see if you respond to that. Have a good weekend.

BadgerHawk on January 23, 2009 at 5:06 PM

PappaMac on January 23, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Exactly … thank the media and the left for extending the war. If we would have shown a resolved and united front it would have certainly not inspired AQ and Iran to continue. Same thing happened in Vietnam except Bush didn’t give into political pressure and took the heat and venom from the left and the world.

darwin on January 23, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Where does the left stand now on killing innocent children?

Entelechy on January 23, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Apparently it’s not cool, but it’s not bad enough either to bother dissing the Messiah about it. Not war crime worthy in other words.

darwin on January 23, 2009 at 5:09 PM

darwin on January 23, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Why? What’s the difference?

Entelechy on January 23, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Obama lied, people died!

sabbott on January 23, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Why? What’s the difference?

Entelechy on January 23, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Because Obama is a democrat and they worship the ground he walks on?

darwin on January 23, 2009 at 5:13 PM

You have to admit that it’s a nice change of pace to have America attack the right country for a change.

Being redundant is the way Vermin Roadapple is redundant.

Jim Treacher on January 23, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Vernon Hardapple on January 23, 2009 at 4:10 PM

You mean an ally?

Esthier on January 23, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Wow, we’re actually attacking an American ally, Pakistan. Isn’t this one of the things we were warned Obama would do, if elected? This is appalling. I’m appalled.

Alan on January 23, 2009 at 5:23 PM

GASP! The One HAS BLOOD ON HIS HANDS!

GarandFan on January 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Because Obama is a democrat and they worship the ground he walks on?

darwin on January 23, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Vernon H., are these kids’ lives less important than the ones who died under GWB?

Entelechy on January 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM

We’ll see how committed he is to Afghanistan/Pakistan issues over the long haul. If the strikes continue, well and good. If the effort starts to flatten out, we’ll know events like this are a head fake to the right center. Everything he does has a political purpose as top priority, but he can’t masquerade for the full 4 years. He has to satisfy his base more than us, and the Code Pinkos are like angry, loud children. Polls will drive policy.

a capella on January 23, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Most likely these terrorists were killed because Obama couldn’t find the STOP button in time to save them.

If that’s not the case, I can only say “Thank You President Obama!”

DarkCurrent on January 23, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Good to see that one thing that hasn’t changed is our boys’ aim.

token on January 23, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Obama is the Shadow Bush!

Impeach ChimpyMcObamaHitler!

Baby killer! Islamophobe! Terrorist creator! Warmonger!

The madness continues! America is ashamed of its Leader!

How much blood-stained stock do the Obamas own in Halliburton?

Murderer-in-Chief!

/s

profitsbeard on January 23, 2009 at 5:54 PM

If they find that a big name AQ dude was taken out, Obama will take credit for it…if they don’t, it will be blamed on Bush…that’s what the MSM is holding out for…they just haven’t confirmed the talking points yet.

surrounded on January 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM

So the timeline on this appears to be that B. Hussein Obama promised the terrorists [along with the rest of the World] that he would talk first. Then, without so much as a ‘by your leave’ to Pakistan, he blatantly murders at least 13 people, several of who were just kids, and he did so with forethought. We cannot even be certain that any of these folks were guilty of a single damn thing!

Yeah, this is the change we needed … NOT!

DannoJyd on January 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Where is murtha?

Johan Klaus on January 23, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Collateral damage.

Johan Klaus on January 23, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Me likey!

I guess O is going to solve the Gitmo/torture conundrum by simply killing them all right away!

PattyJ on January 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Anyone think about the possibility that Osama bin Laden is one of the dead? Wouldn’t it just be our luck to have that happen on Obama’s watch, right out of the chute!

rockmom on January 23, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Patty J
You have a point,don’t ask, don’t tell, just kill. Way to go O!

rob verdi on January 23, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Where does the left stand now on killing innocent children?

Entelechy on January 23, 2009 at 5:05 PM

They see nothing, they hear nothing, they know nothing. They did not even get up this morning.

OberfeldwebelSchultz on January 23, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Tryin to cheer us up there Bommie? HA! You still suck!

johnnyU on January 23, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Vernon Hardapple on January 23, 2009 at 4:10 PM

You mean an ally?

Esthier on January 23, 2009 at 5:23 PM

http://www.HowObamaGotElected.com LOL

ddrintn on January 23, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Bush Hitler Saddam Hussein Obama!

the_nile on January 23, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Obamamiester air raids his first village, in a country we’re not at war with. Seems a bit Nixonian if you ask me.

Expanding the war and all that, you know. Where’s Ghunga Dan now?

BobMbx on January 23, 2009 at 8:07 PM

BobMbx on January 23, 2009 at 8:07 PM

I can already tell that the whole affair is going to be seared, seared into my memory.

Cicero43 on January 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I am perfectly sure he knew about it and has no problem with it whatsoever. Although even if he did, would it matter? The buck stops with him. I find it amusing how his peace-mongering followers will look for any way to rationalize this. One of the few things I can say about His Excellency that I agree with is that his hawkish position on Afghanistan and Pakistan is exactly the right course. I can only hope he doesn’t get squeamish at some point down the road and back off. And I wish he would man up and take the same hard line approach with Iran and Hamas and other troublemakers.

In the meantime, tho, a check mark in the plus column for O-Hitler the war criminal. ;) He’s got a long way to go before he evens out the balance sheet, but I’m willing to give credit where it’s due. Way to go, Mr. President!

NoLeftTurn on January 23, 2009 at 8:36 PM

If that’s not the case, I can only say “Thank You President Obama!”

DarkCurrent on January 23, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I was thinking along the same lines. Others here would have a better handle on this, but I would think that there were rules of engagement in place. Most likely those ROEs didn’t mention any change if the president changed.. I also would think that with targets of opportunity and the need for quick action, the decision to shoot/not shoot does not go to the whitehouse.

My guess would be perhaps a full bird colonel or a 1 star.

So, Obama the magnificent might just have been a little slow to shut things down. The proof of the putting will be if we see any more of these.

bullseye on January 23, 2009 at 8:55 PM

proof of the PUDDING not PUTTING..

bullseye on January 23, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Hang on… weren’t those on the right complaining when Obama early on said that he would not hesitate to attack AQ targets in Pakistan with or without their permission? The right supported the policy when it turned out the US was doing this anyway secretly and even less secretly in the last year.

I think it is a good thing. AQ should not have a safe haven… I don’t think attacks on the Western Territories are not an attack on sovereign Pakistani soil anyway as Islamabad has little control over those areas and it is where the real war has moved. An attack on Karachi would be a whole different thing unless someone like Osama or the good Doctor were killed.

lexhamfox on January 23, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Here is some interesting stuff.
Robert Spencer at above site has new book out, Stealth Jihad.
There are California specific issues I can post if anyone is interested.
I am a very active member of ACT! for America, so I have current information always.

Our ACT! chapter for example has produced a paper documenting the Islamization of
our California childrens’ textbooks.

Also last but not least. http://www.floridabruce.com/islam_is_the_light.htm You won’t believe this one. This stuff has been going on about two years. The text books and the dolls. I wonder if two or four years will be to late?

sheebe on January 24, 2009 at 12:46 AM

So now Obama has us mired in two wars and we are stuck in the Obama recession! When does the next campaign start? I’m bored with this guy!

sabbott on January 24, 2009 at 6:39 AM

Dr Evil on January 23, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Remember the Bush Litmus test: Is there oil there?

Kafir on January 24, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Remember the Bush Litmus test: Is there oil there?

Kafir on January 24, 2009 at 8:47 AM

There may be no oil, but there are nukes. It would be unwise to help Pakistan teeter over into something like Iran.

ddrintn on January 24, 2009 at 10:24 AM

The bombing differed significantly from his Democrat predecessor: he bombed the right country/embassy and actually killed someone!

PattyJ on January 24, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Where does the left stand now on killing innocent children?

Entelechy on January 23, 2009 at 5:05 PM

They’re ok with it. And if it’s your own kid, they’ll even give you a tshirt.

xblade on January 24, 2009 at 3:51 PM