Obama Treasury nominee: Hey, sorry for being a tax cheat

posted at 12:55 pm on January 21, 2009 by Allahpundit

A quickie from this morning’s Finance Committee hearing. He made a common mistake, Team Barry assures us. Except that it isn’t true, especially considering that he was reimbursed by the IMF for the taxes he “forgot” to pay. What’s his excuse, then? Simple: He doesn’t have one. Or at least, he didn’t until today, when he kinda sorta blamed … TurboTax. And momentarily sent Intuit’s shares plummeting in the process.

I use TT and pay self-employment tax and have never had a problem, but then I have an incentive to be extra careful: Unlike Geithner, I might face consequences if I make a mistake. Exit question: Should the GOP take Newt’s advice and vote against him? They can’t block him, obviously, so the gesture would be purely symbolic. Do they gain more by standing up for the taxpayer than they lose from appearing obstructionist in the midst of an economic crisis with Obama surfing a wave of Hopenchange goodwill?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

My prediction is that every day that Geithner’s hearing goes on is another day that the turd of his tax avoidance grows bigger. The Senate may approve this guy, but middle America is going to be pissed.

Hell, I just heard two talking heads on MSNBC say that his explanations don’t sound plausible.

The Turbo-Tax-made-me-do-it excuse ain’t flying.

BuckeyeSam on January 21, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I don’t care if Turbo Tax came out of the computer and bit his hand off, he knew he owed and didn’t pay. That’s like saying you made a mistake because your pencil broke. No excuses, axe him.

theotherKate on January 21, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Yes. The campaign to take back Congress in 2010 starts now. The only time the Dems gave Bush any slack was in response to Sept. 11.

Either that, or make paying income tax strictly voluntary.

rbj on January 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Either that, or make paying income tax strictly voluntary.

rbj on January 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM

It is voluntary! Harry Reid said so!

theotherKate on January 21, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Purely hypothetical technical question: is lying in these hearings considered perjury?

Vashta.Nerada on January 21, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Yes, they are sworn in.

Romeo13 on January 21, 2009 at 2:17 PM

So, when I get audited…can I say sorry?
Not a chance.

HornetSting on January 21, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Willie Nelson said that to the IRS. He’ll be touring to pay it off until he dies.

I heard that Billy Joel and Elton John will reprise their “Let’s Pay Off the IRS” Tour this summer also.

This moron should not be our Secretary of the Treasury.
But, since Dear Leader nominated him, he probably will be.

kingsjester on January 21, 2009 at 2:19 PM

They act as though Geithner is the ONLY guy out there who can save us. “They” seem to include both Democrats and Republicans. Can him. Find someone else. The claim that we have to act fast is no excuse (and phony, obviously).

mikelikesit on January 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Either that, or make paying income tax strictly voluntary.

rbj on January 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM

+100

HornetSting on January 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM

kingsjester on January 21, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Willie is paying off his IRS bill and his weed bill.
Ran out of popcorn.
My cornfield has been taken by imminent domain and turned into a field for ethanol production.
Gotta find a new vice, jester.

HornetSting on January 21, 2009 at 2:23 PM

The claim that we have to act fast is no excuse (and phony, obviously).

The bill was $700 billion the last time we heard that.

genso on January 21, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Vashta.Nerada on January 21, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Yes, they are sworn in.

Romeo13 on January 21, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I know where the sarc button is, but not the smirk button…

Vashta.Nerada on January 21, 2009 at 2:24 PM

mikelikesit on January 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Heck, pick me. I’ve got an MBA, plenty of management experience, and have done my own (just as complicated) taxes without ‘forgetting’ to pay for years. Added bonus: I would cancel all federal bailouts. OK, maybe that last reason is why I wasn’t picked first.

Vashta.Nerada on January 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM

HornetSting on January 21, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Just continue to take it out on the Trolls. I swear, I think I’ve seen every single one we have here in the last 24 hours, even monkei-boy…and noneya was soliciting threesomes. I threw up a little in my mouth.

kingsjester on January 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Goodwil does not extend to the Republicans anyway. They might as well oppose him, if the economy tanks the media will target Geithner not Obama. So Republicans voting against him gives then the “better judgement” arguement. They vote for him and they offer no difference then Obama. And we see what McCain’s centrism got us…

Theworldisnotenough on January 21, 2009 at 2:29 PM

kingsjester on January 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM

I’m ignoring my own personal troll, no matter how nasty he becomes.
I think my troll is afraid of strong, opinionated women.

HornetSting on January 21, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Vote to block.

D2Boston on January 21, 2009 at 1:05 PM

But then Obama will nominate someone worse…like Wesley Snipes!

Buddahpundit on January 21, 2009 at 2:32 PM

HornetSting on January 21, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Yeah. I noticed your last exchange. With his name, you would think he would know how to “hang loose”. You need to read the “racist” thread. Baldilocks tore the alternate lifestyle individual up.

kingsjester on January 21, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Contact your senators. They need to know that they’re being watched. Very closely.

pistolero on January 21, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Exit question: Should the GOP take Newt’s advice and vote against him?

Yes! It is essential that we be on the record opposing Geithner (who sounds like a consummate jackass in this video).

The argument that we would be blamed for opposing him if the economy further faltered is idiotic since Geithner will be confirmed anyway. In any case, why are we supposed to be enthusiastic about a tax cheat who was the incompetent at the helm at the failed Citibank? What has he done to deserve our confidence?

Buy Danish on January 21, 2009 at 2:37 PM

kingsjester on January 21, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Baldi does that. She is good.
Yeah, I’m not sure what I did to this troll, but he has a h-on for me and my posts. A nasty character indeed, but no worries.
BTW, I found Grue, he’s eating on the ‘rash’.

HornetSting on January 21, 2009 at 2:41 PM

This is so stupid! It doesn’t matter if this douche apologizes. Whether he deliberately avoided paying taxes or “made a mistake” as he claims, why would we put him in such a powerful position in our economy? Even if we give him the biggest benefit of the doubt (which isn’t even possible, given the facts that are out there) and assume it’s all just a “mistake”… Why would we want to essentially put our economy in the hands of someone prone to financial mistakes?

As I’ve repeatedly said, the day we elected Obama was the day we signed the United States’ death certificate.

RightWinged on January 21, 2009 at 2:42 PM

They should vote against Geithner because A)he’s a tax cheat, who pays taxes whenever he gets caught; and B)he provided poor oversight of the NY banks and financial institutions that helped spur the current economic downturn.

hawksruleva on January 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Democrat, contrition, that makes any sin ok since we are a Christian nation who believes in forgiveness.

It’s ok Mr. Geithner, you meant well, and it’s for the children.

Should, by chance, any of that filthy lucre your Treasury Department will dispense to buy political favor stick to your fingers and wind up in your pocket, we will forgive you for that as well since you are just trying to save the United States from economic collapse.

Skandia Recluse on January 21, 2009 at 2:47 PM

HornetSting on January 21, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Thanks. I’m registered with Manly. Should be a fun site when he gets fully rolling.

kingsjester on January 21, 2009 at 2:49 PM

People who might be qualified as Treasury Secretary:
Wesley Snipes
Al Capone
Martha Stewart
Willie Nelson
Dennis Kozlowski, former CEO of Tyco
Don King
Heidi Fleiss

All of these people have suffered for not correctly paying their taxes. I’m sure they just “forgot” or didn’t understand what they were supposed to pay. Heidi Fleiss is supposed to know more about the IRS code than the head of the NY Fed?

At some point, we need to ATTEMPT, at least, to fill political appointments with honest, forthright, capable people. Geithner’s a greedy tax cheat or too disorganized to handle household finances. Both are EXCELLENT disqualifiers for Treasury Secretary.

hawksruleva on January 21, 2009 at 2:51 PM

He made a common mistake, Team Barry assures us.

They actually think they are fooling us? Too bad no one who can lead us out of this mess is listening.

These threads should start with the Looney Tunes intro.

Mr_Magoo on January 21, 2009 at 2:57 PM

This article doesn’t instill much confidence that Geithner is fiscally responsible in his personal finances.

Sounds as if he’s leveraged to his eyeballs.

BuckeyeSam on January 21, 2009 at 3:00 PM

kingsjester on January 21, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Do you mean ManlyRash?

He disappeared on Election Day, didn’t he?

BuckeyeSam on January 21, 2009 at 3:03 PM

kingsjester on January 21, 2009 at 2:49 PM

He has his blog up and running..

HornetSting on January 21, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Can someone point out to me one of Barry’s nominees that does not have ethical problems? I can’t think of any.

Vashta.Nerada on January 21, 2009 at 1:21 PM

They’re just following the example of Dear Leader. After all, Barry’s the one who bought himself a big house in Chicago at $300k below the list price (in a hot seller’s market) after arranging a crooked deal with his corrupt fundraiser/payola artist and close personal friend Tony Rezko. Obama told us all that that blatantly crooked deal was just a “mistake” — and the MSM was perfectly happy with that explanation. Why should obvious tax cheat and soon-to-be Treasury Secretary Geithner be held to a higher standard than Obama?

AZCoyote on January 21, 2009 at 3:13 PM

As I’ve repeatedly said, the day wethey elected Obama was the day wethey signed the United States’ death certificate.

RightWinged on January 21, 2009 at 2:42 PM

FIFY. Don’t blame me, I voted for Palin!

Steve Z on January 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Vote to block. Political posturing by those on the right who should know better is what has gotten us in the hole we are in right now. From now on, do the right thing. That’s how we get our credibility back.

samuelrylander on January 21, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I personall was audited 3 times by the irs
Now it wasnt because i am some kind of a cheat like this hypocrite..

No the irs asked after i started my business on the second year (i was loosing money)..
they said hey “Prove you bought the equipment”
So i showed up with my little shoe box and they found 1 deducton they wouldnt accept..
Ok i wipped out 4 more receipts i didnt claim hehe
I got 75 dollars back

then 2 years later i closed the business
I went solo and tried to make it by quiting my job
It went under faster than the titanic.
I was a poor businessman (oh well)
the irs then asked for an audit again.
Ok i show up with my shoebox and again they didnt like one of my deductions so i wipped out 5 more receipts i didnt claim.. end result i got another 75 dollars back.

Now i had just got home from that very same audit and
low and behold in the mail box was a request for an audit of this current tax year..

I called up the irs and i said SURE i can bring my shoe box down .. i explained this would be the third time i will get money back..

the irs sent me a letter saying sir we decided to accept your tax return as is..

I did this just using either my tax company ..
or my excell sheet..

Now you mean to tell me i am paying my taxes
been audited twice and threatened with a third
and i can PROVE to the IRS every DIME..

and the man who is going to head the irs CANT!!!

BULL CRAP
he is a cheater..
simple as that.. just like all of obamas cronies..

jcila on January 21, 2009 at 3:24 PM

jcila on January 21, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Hear ya… I got audited three years in a row, because I was a MAN GETTING CHILD SUPPORT!

And funny part? I was Active Duty Military, so my taxes were very straight forward…

Romeo13 on January 21, 2009 at 3:35 PM

The dems are laughing their arses off about this thing. If this guy can get Treasury, what else can they get away with? Get ready folks, the No Standards Administration is in charge now. And the press is lined up in lock step.
Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

JeffinOrlando on January 21, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Where is ManlyRash’s blog? I would like to go there too. Thanks.

theotherKate on January 21, 2009 at 4:13 PM

jcila on January 21, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Good for you!
But my shoebox is an absolute mess. I could do it, but not without a lot of searching around.

Badger40 on January 21, 2009 at 4:27 PM

They are just outright putting crooks in now, and spitting in our faces while they do it.

Any Republicans voting for this guy are just as crooked.

They would be doing it because – and only because – they have similar skeletons in their own closets, and know it.

Alana on January 21, 2009 at 4:29 PM

We have tax cheat and a liar heading the Ways and Means Committee.Charlie Rangel

We have a corrupt,liar,and a thief(still has not released his documents on the corrupt mortgage deals he made) heading the Banking Committee,that sat by while Fannie/Freddie gutted our economy.
Chris Dodd.

Barny “Fannie/Freddie are safe and strong”Frank in the house.

Harry Reid Bragging about how much he loves lobbyist and the
proud work Obama and the democratic Congress will do with them.

The same CEO’s that we are spending billions of our tax dollars to bail out give Obama hundreds of thousands of dollars for their “hope and change”.

Why not put a liar and tax cheat in at the Treasury,then at least the democrats can stay consistent with at least one thing in the Obama administration, lying and corruption from top to bottom.

“Yes we Can”

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Or at least, he didn’t until today, when he kinda sorta blamed … TurboTax.

That does it. I’m firing my CPA. Gonna go get me some TurboTax.

uncivilized on January 21, 2009 at 4:41 PM

“And we’re willing to share everything we’ve got see, if they’d only give it to us.”

Wavy Gravy
Woodstock Music Festival
Bethel, NY
8-16-1969

This fellow should be Treasury Secretary. He totally “gets” Obama-nomics

exdeadhead on January 21, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Geithner uses Turbo Tax?? LOL, thats funny…

jim_collins on January 21, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Looks like you can be as slimy and crooked as you want under the hope and change administration, you will get a pass if you are in the inner circle…..

DL13 on January 21, 2009 at 9:53 PM

I have never had a problem with Turbotax failing to calculate the additional Social Security and Medicare taxes I owe. Either he did not enter the info from his W-2′s and 1099′s intentionally or is too dumb to enter it correctly. Either excuse should eliminate his consideration for Secretary of the Treasury.

JoeW60 on January 22, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Yes, they should have voted against him on principle.

PersonalLiberty on January 22, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Because No one is above the law!

The Dems just gave the Repubs a 50LB sledgehammer to continually beat them about the head with.

Snipes gets the max — 3 years — in tax case
Snipeslong prison sentence should send a loud and crystal clear message to all tax defiers that if they engage in similar tax defier conduct, they face joining him,” said Assistant Attorney General Nathan J. Hochman of the Justice Department’s Tax Division.

Internal Revenue Service Commissioner Douglas Shulman said the law is clear on taxes.

“There is no secret formula that eliminates a person’s tax obligations, nor are there any special exceptions,” he said.

Wanna bet?

“The majority of Americans pay their taxes timely and accurately. Those who willfully violate the law must be held accountable.”

Ya right, by say I don’t know how bout putting em in charge of the IRS!

DSchoen on January 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

…and the Finance Committee just breezes this guy on through. Good work, fellas! If I tried that flimsy excuse, I would be talking to my lawyer through the bars.

gordo on January 23, 2009 at 1:46 AM