Estimates for inaugural attendance drop

posted at 8:00 am on January 21, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

When Barack Obama won the election in November, estimates of the inaugural crowd soared.  Some suggested that as many as five million people might descend on Washington DC to participate in the festivities, dwarfing the record set by Lyndon Johnson’s 1965 inaugural crowd.  In reality, the Obama inaugural may not have even broken that record:

More than a million giddy spectators convened on the national mall to watch Barack Obama take the oath of office today, but it is unclear if the crowd surpassed the record believed to have been set three and half decades ago at Lyndon B. Johnson’s 1965 inauguration.

Though early estimates Tuesday ranged as high as 2 million, satellite images of Obaam’s swearing-in suggested the actual size of the throng may have been closer to half that, according to Clark McPhail, a sociologist who has been analyzing crowds on the mall since the ’60s.

“It was sparser than I thought,” said McPhail, an emeritus sociologist from the University of Illinois. “There were lots of open spaces.”

The National Park Service — long relied on to calculate crowds for large Washington events — is expected to provide a firmer estimate later in the week, according to a spokesman.

That the NPS will provide an estimate is in itself interesting.  As the Chicago Tribune reports, Congress ordered the NPS to stop providing crowd estimates for events on the Mall when a controversy broke out over the 1995 Million Man March.  The NPS reported a number significantly less than a million, angering Louis Farrakhan and his supporters.  Barack Obama participated in that same march, and it would be an interesting bookend to the moratorium on crowd estimates.

No one doubts that this inauguration attracted a large audience, but the early predictions were flat-out ridiculous.  The entire state of Minnesota has a little over five million people in it.  Washington DC and its environs could not possibly have absorbed that many people at the same time.  These kinds of silly expectations started a mini-boom in house rentals, followed by a mini-crash when the demand never materialized.

We can all agree that Obama drew a historic crowd on a historic day.  That should be good enough.

Comments

I heard that there were, at least, 31 gazillion people there.

progressoverpeace on January 21, 2009 at 8:02 AM

progressoverpeace on January 21, 2009 at 8:02 AM

I heard there were more

theguardianii on January 21, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Yeah it was interesting because everybody in the early morning was pronouncing how the Google Satellite was going to take overhead pictures of the historic event to show the throngs of crowds.

And then I only ever saw ONE picture from it on the local paper’s website and now it’s not even there.
(although I now note that the website is advertising how you can “mark the historic election” by buying memoribilia and photos from their website)

I’d like to know what Bush’ crowd estimates when he got back to Texas were…

Skywise on January 21, 2009 at 8:09 AM

I heard there were more

theguardianii on January 21, 2009 at 8:07 AM

You’re right. I was thinking about the new denominations that we’ll need on our bills after BHO gets his economic program up and running.

progressoverpeace on January 21, 2009 at 8:11 AM

But way more private jets flew in for Obama than did for Bush’s inauguration. That’s gotta count for something.

BrideOfRove on January 21, 2009 at 8:14 AM

But, but, but, there were 5 million people there! Bush is just lying to make democrats look bad!

BOOOOOOSH!

Enoxo on January 21, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Not the inaugural crowd he knew.

Mr Purple on January 21, 2009 at 8:14 AM

the real question is how many ‘whites wanting to choose right’ were there?

The PC coverage of crowds and groups watching from around the country was rediculious. Sure, he got something like 104% of the black vote in MN and elsewhere, but it would have been nice to see non-black supporters interviewed as well.

gatorboy on January 21, 2009 at 8:16 AM

I personally know of several hundred people who were not there

gatorboy on January 21, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Sorting fact from fiction will be one of our major challenges with this new Marxist regime.

rplat on January 21, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Obarfy’s ego didn’t leave room for as many people as they thought; ran out of space, plain and simple.

Bishop on January 21, 2009 at 8:18 AM

I heard that there were, at least, 31 gazillion people there.

progressoverpeace on January 21, 2009 at 8:02 AM

BrideOfRove on January 21, 2009 at 8:14 AM

They all had their hands out for the bail out money!

grapeknutz on January 21, 2009 at 8:18 AM

progressoverpeace on January 21, 2009 at 8:11 AM

like the trillion dollar bill Zimbabwe just released?
Maybe I should take Beck’s advice and invest in wheel barrows.
Going to need them to carry the load of cash necessary to buy a load of bread.

theguardianii on January 21, 2009 at 8:19 AM

One million zombies, two million zombies…Eh, who cares.

therightwinger on January 21, 2009 at 8:20 AM

We can all agree that Obama drew a historic crown on a historic day. That should be good enough.

Paging Dr. Freud…

trubble on January 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM

How apropos.
The Presidential dud celebrates an inaugural dud.

My collie says:

“Where is the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!”
— Marvin the Martian

CyberCipher on January 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Most of those in attendence were Obamazombies, they don’t count.
Only a few in attendence had a brain, such as Bush. You notice he was smart enough to leave early and go to Texas.

izoneguy on January 21, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Who cares about the numbers, I’m simply ecstatic that Obarfa, not even 24 hours in office, has already suspended Gitmo terrorist trials. It’s begun.

If you think this man isn’t dangerous for our nation, you need to get your skull trepanned.

Bishop on January 21, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Many more people wanted to show up but all that hope took up too much space.

NeoKong on January 21, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Thanks for the update, but at this point, who cares?

Let’s turn to the AG and Secretary of Treasury hearings and to the bailout nonsense.

Two other things. First, I’m all for improving American; I’m not for remaking it. That pisses me off. Second, where’s the left’s outrage at Obama’s attending a traditional prayer service this morning? I suppose it’s not worth their political capital to complain when throngs aren’t in attendance.

BuckeyeSam on January 21, 2009 at 8:24 AM

What I know is that the Phillies championship parade in October was well over 2 million people…..

RWLA on January 21, 2009 at 8:24 AM

As is every overstated sycophantic prediction concerning O. The rude awakening that millions of people around the world will eventually face when reality sets in has me convinced that a new disorder, something along the lines of “post-Obama-trauma” will be diagnosed. Whether or not it will be treatable/curable is a different question altogether.

beachgirlusa on January 21, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Paging Dr. Freud…

trubble on January 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Heh. Oops. Non-intentional; it’s fixed now. Thanks!

Ed Morrissey on January 21, 2009 at 8:26 AM

It’s the economy stupid.

Tommy_G on January 21, 2009 at 8:28 AM

This is really great news – it gives you guys something to hang onto today to make your bitter tears taste a little less bitter.

Dave Rywall on January 21, 2009 at 8:31 AM

It was bitterly cold and they turned a lot of people away because the security lines were getting too long.

I drove back from Pennsylvania on Monday night and there was NO one on I-70, I-270 and even the beltway was pretty sparse. I’ve never seen that little traffic on a holiday weekend Monday night.

Most overhyped inaugeration ever for the most overhyped President ever, how appropriate.

NoDonkey on January 21, 2009 at 8:34 AM

What buckeye sam said.

The MSM whorebags will spin the crowd size just as they will spin the suicide-inducing speech that Obarfa gave.

It’s over so let’s move on to topics that are useful such as the best generators to have, what sort of food keeps the longest, how to construct a bunker, methods to throw the Obarfy Internal Security Force™ off your track, etc.

Bishop on January 21, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Dave Rywall on January 21, 2009 at 8:31 AM

I’m just happy that I don’t share nationality with you.

Bishop on January 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM

I’m sure the number of people in attendance far exceeded Obama’s actual accomplishments.

backwoods conservative on January 21, 2009 at 8:38 AM

The MSM will probably use the “Million Man March Crowd Counting System”.
Where are they going to put the Gitmo detainees? In the Blair House?
Dave, do you have some spare rooms?

kingsjester on January 21, 2009 at 8:39 AM

There was a record 7,000 porto-potties for the event, so Obama can put that on his paper thin resume.

Most crap generated/collected in a single day and that’s even after his speech, well done.

NoDonkey on January 21, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Purple People Pissed

According to this some people couldn’t even get in.

Though I like the tone of the article at the end –

folks hadn’t gotten in, he should note that thousands of people had not gotten in, and, worse, there was apparently no attempt at security or crowd control. It was an extremely dangerous situation–a mob catastrophe waiting to happen–that was both foreseeable and preventable.

Now that’s irony from a leftist… “Waaaahh!! There were no police there to keep me in line! Waaaah!!”

Skywise on January 21, 2009 at 8:40 AM

CyberDipher, I like your collie. :-)

Gina on January 21, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Racist! There were 5,237,148 people there. Anyone who says less is a racist and is divisive and doesn’t want to get with the program. Fortunately there will be a nice re-education resort in Cuba where such people can go to reflect upon their needless divisiveness.

rbj on January 21, 2009 at 8:42 AM

1 million = 1/3 of 1% of the total pop.

Large crowd, yes.

But let’s keep this in perspective.

How many millions live within a 1 hr drive of DC?

artist on January 21, 2009 at 8:42 AM

like the trillion dollar bill Zimbabwe just released?

theguardianii on January 21, 2009 at 8:19 AM

You’re behind the times. That was last week. Now they’re printing 100 trillion dollar notes.

progressoverpeace on January 21, 2009 at 8:46 AM

My oldest kid was there, managed to get a ticket for the seated area below the podium from our Republican congressman (the Democrats never returned phone calls/emails from the teachers in their group); but they got stuck in that tunnel fiasco, so they ended up in an area with no screens or sound system. She didn’t care, she said talking to people around there was entertaining enough – said that overall, people were really cordial, even when she told them she was a Conservative and didn’t care for Obama’s politics – they seemed to be pleased that she was there, as a part of history.

And she did say that once the speech started, a fair number of people left with confused looks on their faces; guess the speech wasn’t what they expected or something.

Oh Dave, were you at the airport up there waiting for Ayers? Must have been so sad for you that he was denied entrance.

Blue-eyed Infidel on January 21, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Now factor in population growth, ease of travel, etc

– The Cat

MirCat on January 21, 2009 at 8:52 AM

There’s still too many people there…too many that like Obama.

ballz2wallz on January 21, 2009 at 8:56 AM

As with other events where there’s something else going on to boost attendance, we have to factor in that half the people probably thought they were going to see Abraham Lincoln.

econavenger on January 21, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Of course they are going to overhype it, they wanted as much funding as they could get. Ask the guy who sold pepper spray to the government for the RNC Convention and he’ll let you in on the secret.

LevStrauss on January 21, 2009 at 9:10 AM

I was in DC, and it was a pretty staggering crowd, more than I ever saw in 20 years of living there. The exact number isn’t relevant. Driving home last night on I-95 was not nearly as bad as I had feared, but the rest areas were jammed with hundreds of charter buses. I’ve never seen that for an Inaugural.

I did feel sorry for the folks who decided to go to the parade instead of the swearing-in. They waited all day in bitter cold, and the idiots in Congress ran their self-congratulatory luncheon an hour overtime just to bask in the presence of The One. By the time the President’s motorcade finally came by, people were frozen solid and they all left. The people who actually marched in the parade ended up with almost no audience to see them.

rockmom on January 21, 2009 at 9:11 AM

That’s not the only bubble bust for Barry.

The Inaugural Party Bubble Bursts

christene on January 21, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Everything about Obama is oversold.

People will grow weary of it soon enough.

chalons on January 21, 2009 at 9:12 AM

I wonder how many will be reported at the March for Life tomorrow. (Although, strangely, it never gets coverage.) I pray it is the largest yet, and wish I was going to be there.

pannw on January 21, 2009 at 9:16 AM

chalons on January 21, 2009 at 9:12 AM

True, but then they will riot.

MikeA on January 21, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I’m surprised there was not one arrest. In a large crowd after any event, sports or protest, usually something untoward happens.

I didn’t watch the coverage, but flipped in every now and then to see if a stampede or riot broke out at some point.

tru2tx on January 21, 2009 at 9:22 AM

tru2tx on January 21, 2009 at 9:22 AM

You know they had at least a few arrest.
MSM wont report anything negative about Barry.

christene on January 21, 2009 at 9:24 AM

BrideOfRove on January 21, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Nobody came to Bush’s inauguration.

Monkei on January 21, 2009 at 9:26 AM

The Politburo of the People’s Democratic Party have spoken! How dare they be questioned!

CP on January 21, 2009 at 9:27 AM

christene on January 21, 2009 at 9:24 AM

You’re probably right. I just listened to my local news this morning and they said there wasn’t a single arrest. Oh, and it was the local NBC affiliate.

tru2tx on January 21, 2009 at 9:27 AM

There’s still too many people there…too many that like Obama.

ballz2wallz on January 21, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Yes, in America we call that the “majority”.

Monkei on January 21, 2009 at 9:27 AM

NoDonkey on January 21, 2009 at 8:34 AM

I was afraid that my husband would hit traffic on 95N on his way back from down here in Va Beach on Monday night(he lives at Ft. Meade). He had several alternate routes planned if he hit traffic… but it never materialized. I thought he was just lucky until reading this.

Anna on January 21, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Silence! All of you!

“And Lo! for ten bazillion people came down upon the plains to watch THE ONE deliver his speech, and the waters parted to allow them access for yea! they had been blessed!”

Mock not the scripture! =)

Summer on January 21, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I forgot to mention, though, that my husband did encounter throngs of (very rude) people returning from the inaugural activities last night. This was after 9pm, and they were just leaving the city… so we may never actually know how many people were there over the course of the day.

Anna on January 21, 2009 at 9:43 AM

The Obama supporters are children and racists. Now that the orgasm of the election is over, they are like horny teenagers who just got their nut. They never thought past that point and are now realizing that they forgot to use a condom and there might be some repercussions ahead.

csdeven on January 21, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Summer on January 21, 2009 at 9:37 AM

“And the Democrats swooned over their luncheon plates in his presence. And proceedings at Guantanamo were stilled. Thus endeth the First Day.”

On a side note: Hey Michelle, the Arlington, VA Hiliday Inn is missing a set of Gold Drapes. I’m just askin’…

kingsjester on January 21, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Hiliday=Holiday
Oops.

kingsjester on January 21, 2009 at 9:45 AM

rockmom on January 21, 2009 at 9:11 AM

To be fair, it was delayed because of Kennedy’s seizure.

Skywise on January 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Check my math:
The distance from the steps of the Capitol building to the Washington Monument the Mall is 1.2 miles (6,336 feet) long. And about 200 feet wide (where most of the people were standing).

If the average person takes up 4 square feet of space (2 x 2 feet), then in that area, if totally packed with people, the most people it could hold is:
6,336 feet long x 200 feet wide = 1,267,200 sq. ft. divided by 4 sq. ft. per person = 316,800 people.
From the CNN satellite picture it looked like many of the mall areas were half full.

albill on January 21, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Look at the trash that mob left behind. Yet they claim to be environmentally concerned; the only party who wants to protect the environment.

Those people are pigs. They act like juveniles who expect mommy and daddy to clean up their mess, after the party.

Skandia Recluse on January 21, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Oh, and on a side note, my mortgage payment is still due, and my gas light is on in the car.

Anna on January 21, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Be patient! I have it on good authority from a reliable source that there were in excess of 7 million people there. Obama made sure that Acorn was there counting…

BadMojo on January 21, 2009 at 9:57 AM

All I care about is this: There were no missing “O”‘s or “B”‘s on the computer keyboards. A very different picture from the keyboards of eight years ago, missing all of the “W”‘s!

So which administration was more classy, Clinton or Boosh?

Do you need any help to decide?

Vntnrse on January 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM

This is what they’ve been doing with Obama since the beginning. They’re always pretending he’s more popular than he is. Advertisers are pretending the entire country is celebrating even though Obama received less votes than Bush in 2004, and 48% voted against him.

This isn’t new, and it won’t change. 1984 wasn’t just the year I turned 3.

Esthier on January 21, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Nobody came to Bush’s inauguration.

Monkei on January 21, 2009 at 9:26 AM

How old are you?

I went to Bush’s inauguration. Thousands of others did, too. It was a great day, knowing that after 8 years of debauchery in the White House – literal and political – we had a good man serving us again. Then we got up the next day and read about the stolen silverware and the “W” keys removed from the keyboards and the pizzas left rotting in the trashed desks in the White House offices.

Real nice bunch of fellow travelers you have there.

rockmom on January 21, 2009 at 10:14 AM

No no… it may be a record it was definitely MORE than a million.

And even though congress has banned attendance counting, they’re going to do it ANYWAY!

Crowd more than a million may be record

The park service has not done official estimates in more than a decade, following an order by Congress to stop in the aftermath of controversy over how many people attended the 1995 Million Man March.

Then, estimates varied from 400,000 to over 1 million.

Public affairs director David Barna said the agency would likely produce a number this year because of the historic nature of Tuesday’s events and public demand for an estimate.

“We don’t think anyone in Congress will be really upset,” he said.

Skywise on January 21, 2009 at 10:19 AM

While the physical count may break 1m ppl…..from my perspective the intellectual firepower of that crowd approached slighly less than 200k ppl.

David in ATL on January 21, 2009 at 10:21 AM

If the average person takes up 4 square feet of space (2 x 2 feet),

albill on January 21, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Um, if there were any Code Pink members there, they would need considerably more ground space than that.

Buford on January 21, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Yes, in America we call that the “majority”.

Monkei on January 21, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Yes, and I’m sure you respected the majority the last eight.

Esthier on January 21, 2009 at 10:26 AM

As Rush suggested, the fawning coverage of the inaugural was a byproduct of the liberal need for validation. A secure media or political party would not have any need for such showy displays and parties much less the constant, obsessive media coverage of such events. This constant need to be loved is why these political folks are ultimately so unlovable. They can’t help themselves.

Angry Dumbo on January 21, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Congress ordered the NPS to stop providing crowd estimates for events on the Mall when a controversy broke out over the 1995 Million Man March. The NPS reported a number significantly less than a million, angering Louis Farrakhan and his supporters.

Ha, i remember this quite well as I was living in Maryland at the time. I worked with a guy who went to the march and when it came up one day I said I thought it was funny how it got about 400k people, which was still a freaking ton. He got angry as hell and told me that damnit there were a million of us there that day!

We can all agree that Obama drew a historic crowd on a historic day. That should be good enough.

I agree completely with this. My wife was flipping around before we went to bed last night and happened upon a clip of Denzel Washington at some inaugural ball introducing Obama. He called this “the most historic inauguration ever” which I thought was overdoing it a bit. How could anything ever beat George Washington? There’s no arguing that Obama being inaugurated will always be mentioned in the history books, regardless of how bad a president the turns out to be. That fact should be good enough and can stand on its own quite well. The slobbering masturbatory Olbermann-like crap about how the oceans will begin to fall and how the country is good again is stupid. Just let it be what it is. It’ll hold up throughout history just fine on its own.

hump1201 on January 21, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I was wondering about the parade crowds – around the President’s box at the end no one was there. Even inside his box.

Rockygold on January 21, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Anna on January 21, 2009 at 9:37 AM

It was Y2K all over again.

I live a couple of miles from the White House and I saw a few people walking, biking over, but it was nothing like I thought it could be. We have a lot more traffic during the Marine Corps marathon each fall.

Metro was a cluster of course, but that happens about once a week so that was no surprise.

NoDonkey on January 21, 2009 at 10:50 AM

What happened to all the extra bread and wine made from water?

Wade on January 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Almost $200/obamatron!

Yes, we are in a new era of fiscal responsibility.

jukin on January 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Skandia Recluse on January 21, 2009 at 9:56 AM

The Mall is trashed every weekend.

unclesmrgol on January 21, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Well, I can tell you here in NYC, they showed the inauguration at many locations on Jumbo-trons.

A friend of mine went to the State Building on 125th Street in Harlem, U.S.A.
From her own mouth, she said she was surprised how sparse it was, not many people were there. She was rather disappointed because people didn’t seem very engaged with his speech.

Now, mind you, it is very cold here in NYC, but even I was surprised that there was no sizable crowd in Harlem. I hope people start to realize that Obama has been mostly hype, little substance from the very beginning.

stefystef on January 21, 2009 at 11:26 AM

The Mall is trashed every weekend.

I don’t agree with that. I run down there quite often.

You can tell when the ANSWER rallies are there, that’s for sure.

But the Cherry Blossom festival or a normal weekend, it’s not all that bad.

Generally, most people who visit the mall and the monuments are respectful, but during a protest or lefty rally, property is vandalized and trash is left everywhere.

NoDonkey on January 21, 2009 at 11:30 AM

It doesn’t matter because the truth doesn’t matter. He’s the messiah and he can say or do no wrong. If you disagree with him you are a racist.

roux on January 21, 2009 at 11:41 AM

BrideOfRove on January 21, 2009 at 8:14 AM

I assume the majority flew in from Hollywood.

Dasher on January 21, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I assume the majority flew in from Hollywood.

I’m surprised it wasn’t held there on a movie set.

Would have been more appropriate, given the nature of the election.

Will Smith could have played Obama and Halle Barry could have been cast as Michelle.

Gary Busey could have played Bush.

Tommy Lee Jones as Dick Cheney.

Mike the Wonderdog as Hillary.

NoDonkey on January 21, 2009 at 11:58 AM

CyberCipher on January 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM

It’s that wascally wabbit, he done stole Marvin’s Eludium PU-36 explosive space modulator again. Not to worry, I’m sure the Acme Supply Co. has another on the shelf.

Oldnuke on January 21, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Huh.

Jaibones on January 21, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Didn’t watch, was busy at a car dealership. But the radio was on and we were forced to hear the last bit of the One’s speech. The commentators were projecting their own ecstasy onto not just the crowd, but the whole population. I’m not surprised that the estimates were higher than actual, because the estimates for liberal gatherings are always higher than actual, and the reverse is true as well.

Vanquisher on January 21, 2009 at 12:41 PM

It looked cold as hell to me–20 degree F. weather with the flags showing a lot of wind chill. President Obama and his lovely wife Michelle opted to skip the heavy coats and looked great in a suit and a nice dress–their teeth must have been chattering.
***
It seems impossible to protect a president or other officials in this situation–so many people, such short distances from the crowd to them. I feel a lot better when there is more distance from the crowd to the leaders. The bulletproof limos provided some protection.
***
I’m not an Obama fan–but I hope he stays safe. The horrible John Kennedy assassination videos will stay in my mind forever whenever a president is on T.V. There are a lot of “locos” out there.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on January 21, 2009 at 12:53 PM

HMMM Who gives a shit?????

He needs to watch his back around the Clinton’s. LOL

Rick007 on January 21, 2009 at 1:44 PM

The aerial photo looks like a LOT less people than the Promise Keepers Stand in the Gap event.

Pythagoras on January 21, 2009 at 5:08 PM

I know over 250 million who weren’t there. FBO!

SouthernGent on January 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Let me guess, they hired the same people who came up with the estimate of how many Iraqis died in GW’s war to give an estimate on the inauguration.

Dave_d on January 21, 2009 at 11:02 PM

This is all so childish (on their part). if you dont want to be called on it, DON’T make the statement!…”We are going to get a million people together for the million man march!” Then, when 250K show up, we stop counting crowds because Fear-a-Can was embarrassed? no more crowd counting? Now, Obama can say 10 million showed up!, because we wont be counting crowds!…then he can say No one showed up for Bush!, and we wont know!, no counting!…not fair to count!…ahh…propaganda…gotta love it.

Folks, just have your event, if a turn out is huge, we will report it’s size, if not…we dont even report the event…how is that? that’s what we did in the old days when Men were men.

eplain on January 22, 2009 at 6:20 AM