Open thread: Obamapotheosis

posted at 9:56 am on January 20, 2009 by Allahpundit

Here’s your thread, two hours early as crowds fill the Mall, talking heads chatter about the miracle of peaceful transfers of power, and the media runs through its checklist of superlatives for the speech. “President-elect Barack Obama’s inaugural address is one of the most anticipated speeches in decades, with many expecting his words to be chiseled into marble some day,” declares CNN, already plotting a location for the Obama Memorial. See also Steve Kornacki at the Observer, taking the Lincoln comparisons a step further by imagining the Obama presidency as the second term Honest Abe never got to have. I’ll settle today for one memorable line, which will also be the first memorable line The One’s ever delivered.

I’m giving you the MSNBC feed, partly because their video player’s superior to Fox’s and CNN’s and partly because Olby’s and Matthews’s emoting will inevitably end up as a story all its own. Might as well watch while it happens. I’m not sure yet if we’re liveblogging this thing; if so, the widget will appear beneath the clip as game time approaches. While we wait, here’s Jonah Goldberg looking on the bright side by celebrating what Obama brings to conservatives.

Congrats and good luck to the new president. I hope he knows what he’s doing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10

I’m white and I AM right.
F@*K YOU Odopey Hussein~!

dinkyjackson on January 20, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Ben Franklin was right “A Republic… IF you can keep it”

I almost puked watching the newsheads and the people they were interviewing…

And as far as Barack’s racist preacher.. Can you imagine if it were palin and her preacher made a statement 1/10000000000 as racist???

Well, it was a great Republic while it lasted….

bullseye on January 20, 2009 at 4:07 PM

OMG, he just ditched Michelle in the middle of the street and got in the car. You’d think if he’s gotta take cover, he’d want to shepherd his wife to safety, too.

That was weird.

califcon on January 20, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Good Luck, Mr. President. It is a great day for the greatest country on earth. I didn’t vote for you, Mr. President, and I will most likely not vote for you in 2012. But I will pray for you and your family, and I will be rooting for you to do well. In short, I will not treat you like others have treated the former President, George W. Bush. It’s a conservative thing…

RedSoxNation on January 20, 2009 at 4:28 PM

The parade route doesn’t seem as crowded with people as I thought it would be. Not that there’s not a lot of people, but it doesn’t seem any bigger than any other inauguration. Is it just me? Maybe everybody’s getting coffee and warming up for a few minutes on the way over from The Mall?

meltenn on January 20, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I don’t have any problem rooting for the candidate Obama to fail. That’s the guy who sat in a racist church for 20 years, then babbled out a series of cowardly evasions for it, instead of taking responsibility for his actions; the guy who kept silent while the leaders of his party were comparing American troops to Nazis and openly predicting their defeat; who thinks the blood of thousands of Americans are worth less than one of his speeches, and the only problem with Fannie Mae was that it was underfunded by a trillion dollars. The crook who disabled the safety features of his website to rake in hundreds of millions in shady campaign donations, dispatched squads of ACORN operatives to defraud the electoral system, and sent his minions to destroy an Ohio plumber who didn’t like it when a leading American political candidate quoted Chairman Mao at him? I want that guy to fail. Utterly and totally. And I don’t think I have to hope for it… I just have to wait for it.

The president who was sworn in today may prove to be a different person. They usually do, to one degree or another. Of course we can take it as a given that he won’t be attending any sermons from lunatic con-artist priests during his term of office, or getting caught up in any shady land deals. Much of what he pretended to be during the campaign has already evaporated – I doubt half of his philosophy on foreign policy survived his first national security breifing. He’ll learn, as Clinton did, that the half of the country which voted against him cannot be ignored, a lesson the presidents of both parties should keep in mind. He might be the guy who has to confront the utter bankruptcy (literally) of liberal economic policy, and begin to pull the country out of its nose dive, despite himself. Sometimes presidents are forced to do things the other party favors, but which its own politicans have difficulty accomplishing. Clinton gave us welfare reform, George W. Bush added the prescription drug program to Medicare… maybe President Obama will end up doing some things I can honestly view as successes. The prognosis isn’t encouraging, but hope is the defiance of a prognosis.

Doctor Zero on January 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM

The mistake was Roberts, he said the phrase incorrectly.

DeathToMediaHacks on January 20, 2009 at 12:50 PM

They BOTH messed up. Obama forgot what to say and waited for Roberts to repeat the phrase and Roberts botched the repeat.

conservative pilgrim on January 20, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Whatever; all Obama had to do was repeat what Roberts was saying. Deer-in-headlight moment while you’re taking the oath isn’t a good omen.

ddrintn on January 20, 2009 at 5:15 PM

As for Obama’s speech, it sounded like he spent 2 days splicing together the same old stump speech I’ve been hearing for months. Bleagh.

ddrintn on January 20, 2009 at 5:24 PM

So I guess Patrick Fitzgerald had better be getting his bags packed… Firing in 3…2…1…

bullseye on January 20, 2009 at 5:43 PM

My thoughts on his inaugural speech:

Halfhearted, weak, and in some parts it was completely disconnected from reality (the “warming planet” schtick and his remarks on the size of government) Some of his statements were very naive – including his insistence that terrorists and others intent on destroying the American way of life will just join hands with us after a nice chat and an “unclenching of the fist.”

Other than that, it went in one ear and out the other.

Ryan Gandy on January 20, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I think the new http://www.whitehouse.gov website looks creepy. I’ll be working on a photoshop on that :eg:

mindhacker on January 20, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Wow, they have already changed it and took PBHO’s picture off! Wonder why?

mindhacker on January 20, 2009 at 6:09 PM

43.6—Not my President.

Here’s to praying he fails miserably, but MY COUNTRY weathers his brief, hideous tenure.

Joseph Farah is right. AND white.

seejanemom on January 20, 2009 at 7:09 PM

So we inaugurated a half Kenyan. What’s the big deal?

jediwebdude on January 20, 2009 at 7:14 PM

I don’t have any problem rooting for the candidate Obama to fail. That’s the guy who sat in a racist church for 20 years … The crook who disabled the safety features of his website to rake in hundreds of millions in shady campaign donations, dispatched squads of ACORN operatives to defraud the electoral system, and sent his minions to destroy an Ohio plumber … The president who was sworn in today may prove to be a different person. … The prognosis isn’t encouraging, but hope is the defiance of a prognosis.

Doctor Zero on January 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM

What a great post, Doctor Zero. Looks to me to be the correct and/or definitive analysis of the way most McCain voters either should, or are likely to, treat Obama and his administration. There’s both a fairness and a seriousness of tone that I’ve not seen matched on the left WRT Bush, from 2000 forward.

And what a contrast in tone from dakine’s admonitions to the rest of us to stop discussing Obama freely, with his/her cavalier, “Yeah, I voted for McCain, so what? I don’t see why all of you can’t just STFU already.” You both cover the same subject area but the contrast in your respective credibility[ies] is night and day (to say the least… :-).

Whatever; all Obama had to do was repeat what Roberts was saying.

ddrintn on January 20, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Not if Roberts screwed up the line to begin with, and Obama *knew* that Roberts had screwed it up. In that case, he’d wait patiently for Roberts to figure it out, and say the *correct* line.

Which is what *looked* like happened. (Doesn’t mean it *did*, I admit that readily :-) – will have to hunt for the post-game breakdown by various commenters online…)

Deer-in-headlight moment while you’re taking the oath isn’t a good omen.

Agreed, most definitely :-)

RD on January 20, 2009 at 7:52 PM

CBC radio had a comment from Belgrade,he he,priceless,
last time a Liberal President was in power,they bombed
Belgrade,nothing ever good comes from Liberals in power
he said!

canopfor on January 20, 2009 at 8:07 PM

The hangover starts tomorrow, Barry.

profitsbeard on January 20, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Whatever; all Obama had to do was repeat what Roberts was saying.

ddrintn on January 20, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Deer-in-headlight moment while you’re taking the oath isn’t a good omen.

Agreed, most definitely :-)

RD on January 20, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Yeah, it’s not really that big a deal either way. Human error. I’m more put-off by the humdrum speech and the poet and the benediction. Weird.

ddrintn on January 20, 2009 at 8:53 PM

And look, now Americans are on the same exalted plane as every ones most respected diversification experts.

BL@KBIRD on January 20, 2009 at 9:51 PM

B.O.
Your Poet
Stunk.

tmq on January 20, 2009 at 9:54 PM

B.O.
Your Poet
Stunk.

tmq on January 20, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Gee I thought she was on a par with Robert Frost, Shakespeare, Walt Whitman and Poe…

Yeah right… Whatever drivel she was spewing should get no more than a D- in a remedial english class.

I was in an office with a couple fo obama supporters.. Even the said “WTF…she sucks”

bullseye on January 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM

bullseye on January 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM

I write poetry…. I was embarrassed to listen to that…

jerrytbg on January 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I’m afraid the hangover is not going to wait till morning. Obambi has this evening told the military tribunal that is trying five of the 911 planners to ask for a 120 day halt to the trials. Three of them have already said they are guilty. Way to go. If I were that judge, I’d tell him to go pack sand. Presidents don’t have a right to insert themselves into any trial in this country. The only applicability he would even have is in the case of battlefield illegal combatants. And if he admits that’s what they are, aren’t they in the right venue already???

If you decide to take criminals off military battlefields and put them into civilian courtrooms, how far off are we from mirandizing before you shoot at the enemy?

Bikerken on January 21, 2009 at 12:49 AM

I’m white and I’m already right too! What’s he want white’s in back of the bus now? That kind of crapola’s been out of style since before my time. Sorry, am an affirmative action child. I’ve given all I’m gonna give in this lifetime thank you.

johnnyU on January 21, 2009 at 5:24 AM

I had my pity party last night, overeating appropriately. Today it’s back to reality (which will suck by the way).

Mojave Mark on January 21, 2009 at 7:53 AM

Oh, to be a fly on the wall in the Oval Office, when “President” Obama struts in… and finds George Soros sitting behind the desk.

Mr. Wednesday Night on January 21, 2009 at 8:12 AM

A poet
Looking at a sea of hope
Speaking the truth
Seeking the truth
Awaiting the truth
We won, you lost
What is right isn’t white
Just putting words together
Doesn’t make it poetry
This sucks, I suck
But it doesn’t matter
I am right, you are wrong
We won, you lost
And you are afraid to speak the truth
You will be a bigot if you do
Man this sucks
But it doesn’t matter
We won, you lost
What you feel…doesn’t matter…we won, you lost

right2bright on January 21, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I informed my wife yesterday that most of the tv media failed to show the dismal numbers for the DOW yesterday. She got angry and told me that they were just “ENJOYING THIS HISTORIC MOMENT.”

For me, I see no COLOR. I see no gender. What I do see is a new POTUS. I see a media who will most likely do EVERYTHING in their power to make sure that Obama is “successful”. I see Obamzies who’ve been Barakzinated by an empty suit. I told my wife that I’m willing to give this guy a chance. I’m willing to HOPE for his success. But, I am very suspicious of his record and his cabinet picks. To me, it’s seems as though someone else is running the Obama Show. Why would such a fresh, new, innovative guy bring in so many folks who are plagued with scandal? I’m just asking.

squasquashi on January 21, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Someone needs to rename this site “Sour Grapes.”

cornfedbubba on January 21, 2009 at 1:01 PM

change we can believe in

If any network engineer came up to me and said
Oh dont worry about it were just going to change it
and i asked them HOW???

For exact details..

If he didnt have them i would physically throw his ass out of my room..

but with obama i listened last night to michael savage asking a caller what do you feel hope or fear
When he said hope for the economy
he was asked “Ok HOW” is obama going to do this..
The caller could not give any answer.

Because everyone knows that the slogan
Hope n change means anything to anyone
Who doenst have a CLUE as to what they are doing
or they dont have a plan ..

Like i said obama is a completly empty suit
the difference is he wears it so well..

jcila on January 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM

ddrintn on January 20, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Yeah, that poet was somethin’ awful. I’m sure whatever post-modern IQ score it was supposed to measure, I flunked miserably. ;)

RD on January 21, 2009 at 9:08 PM