Video: Celebrities moved by new spiritual leader to become better people

posted at 5:21 pm on January 19, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via the Standard. If ever you doubted that Obamamania is fundamentally a religious movement, at least among nitwits like this, watch and note how few of their pledges are tied to Obama’s policy agenda. It’s mostly personal pap about smiling more and being a better parent, forms of self-improvement which, it seems, simply couldn’t be undertaken until the GOP was out of the White House.

And as always with these things, it’s about five times too long.

Update: “We’re all Americans — NOW.”

MySpace Celebrity and Katalyst present The Presidential Pledge

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

If all these things are so important to these a**hats, then why weren’t they involved with them already? Having G.W. as president in no way impeded them from charity work. Does a republican president mean they shut off helping the poor and saving the world? Is it that they spend all of their energy spewing hate against the president that they cannot afford charitable deeds? Why only now can they do this? Makes me sick.

syncrodude on January 20, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I know this is overstating the obvious, but what was stopping them before from dong all the things they now “Pledge” to do?

Are they actually claiming that before Obama they were all moronic imbecilic dolts?

DSchoen on January 20, 2009 at 5:32 PM

“I like the one who pledges to plant 500 trees.
I pledge to chop down 1,000 trees.
Just because.”

If you send me $20.00 per month I will not cut down a tree in my yard and I will send you a receipt for $20.00 of “carbon credits”

Make the check out to
A.G. inc.

DSchoen on January 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM

“The concept seems to be ‘Pay it Forward,’ but with a creepy loyalty oath to our new leader mixed in for good measure:

“We call it a Presidential Pledge. We have gathered a group of individuals who share the courage to pledge to our president,”

Wild guess here, none of these folks are historical scholars?

Pledge of Allegiance
“I promise to do my duty in love and loyalty to Obama and our flag.”

It used to be

Pledge of Allegiance

“I promise to do my duty in love and loyalty to the Führer and our flag.”

DSchoen on January 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM

One of the Obama Pledgers is Jamie Pressly, of “My Name is Earl” fame. This past Dec., there was an “Earl” episode titled “Orphan Earl”, where Pressly’s character mocks charity. Her character, Joy, steals specifically from a guy who wants to help African orphans, Katrina victims and people devastated by disasters.
Ironic that hypocracy can be so artfully demonstrated.

gonnjos on January 20, 2009 at 8:19 PM

And of course, as usual, the ultimate comment from Dave Burge at the essential Iowahawk:

warbaby on January 20, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Another emo music d-bag in a jaunty thrift shop straw chapeau

As with all IowaHawk columns, there comes a line that leaves me laughing helplessly, sometimes on the floor.

Jaibones on January 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Now we know how Joe Stalin got his start. I pledge to be of service to President Obama? These people really do need a messiah. Still, if this is what it takes to motivate them to service, perhaps it isn’t all bad. I just wait for the day when Obama finds out he can’t please everybody and then the fecal matter will hit the fan.

NNtrancer on January 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I don’t know if Obama cultists will ever change. But yeah, scratch an Obamaton and you’ll find a totalitarian-in-waiting.

ddrintn on January 20, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Why is it that liberals have to precede their declaration to do something by 76 trombones and conservatives quietly decide what to do then do it. Oh! I remember now talk is cheap.

davo on January 20, 2009 at 11:01 PM

I guess they didn’t have time to include the celebs who said “I pledge to never fly in private jets any more now that the executives at the American auto companies have been shamed into selling theirs.”

L.N. Smithee on January 21, 2009 at 4:53 PM

These people are pretty scary looking, especially toward the end. This is definitely cultist behavior.

And why couldn’t they have pledged to make the world a better place before now?

ErinF on January 28, 2009 at 3:45 PM