Quotes of the day

posted at 10:35 pm on January 19, 2009 by Allahpundit

Obama amnesia is a fairly common condition. A quick poll of colleagues reveals that the only saying of the new president that has incontestably lodged in our collective brain is: “Yes we can.” A few others mentioned: “Change we can believe in.” There was broad agreement that Mr Obama had made an excellent and profound speech on race in America, although nobody could remember the precise details.

On Tuesday, when he makes his inaugural address in Washington, Mr Obama will doubtless once again blow his audience away. He will also have the chance finally to give a speech whose phrases will resonate through history. But, perhaps, he would be wise once again to pass up the opportunity.

For with Barack Obama, the man is the message.

“What the phenomenon that we’ve seen with Obama is the ‘Obama the politician,’ ‘Obama the political candidate’ sales are over but it’s been replaced with ‘Obama the pop culture icon,’” she said, pointing out that since the election, the number of Obama products for sale has continued to grow.

“It’s almost like what you’ve seen with Che Guevara or Eva Peron, when a political leader has this coolness factor that goes well beyond their political beliefs. They represent something even bigger.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Week, Jan.20, 2009

Robert Schrum references

THE BATTERED LIBERAL SYNDROME

Serve them golden fried with slaw.

maverick muse on January 20, 2009 at 8:17 AM

OK. It’s 8:20am on Inauguration Day. The President that I voted for twice in victory and terrorism and war is leaving office after being assaulted virtually non-stop for 8 years by a partisan press and a hateful left. But he’s done.

I will have a new President in two hours. I don’t like him, and I didn’t support him, and I will almost certainly vote for his opponent in 4 years. But he’s going to be my President. And he’s says he’s “a black guy”, which seems to make every one of my black friends very, very happy.

And that makes me happy. So be it. Today is inauguration day, and that’s all I have to say about that.

Jaibones on January 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM

What tax cut for 95% of Americans? Will Barry even mention this ever again since the media hasn’t since November? Or will this be Bill Clinton in ’93 talking about how hard he worked but couldn’t cut taxes. And in fact raised them.

Seriously people… we need to take a page from the Alinsky playbook regarding ridicule / agitprop. I take it as my mission to bash leftists / Democrats over the head with the “tax cut for 95% of Americans” for the next 4 years.

burnitup on January 20, 2009 at 8:28 AM

No Obama Doll On My Shoulder In Mason, Ohio?

The Dayton Daily News (Ohio)
TH. Jan.15, 2009

Mason Superintendent Kevin Bright:

“Inappropriate comments that may make other students, staff or families feel unwelcome or uncomfortable in school or on the bus will not be tolerated.”

Dayton Dragons Director of Operations:

“It’s like a piece of rubber,” said Ottmar while bending over to readjust the fake [predator] torso.

He grabbed the similarly fabricated [prey] that was in the [predator's] mouth. “You don’t really need this,” he said. “We thought it looked more real… the rubber [doll], his furry prey and their cardboard friends are real enough.”

The key, experts said, is not to destroy the population, but instead train the entire group.

“If you kill the [opposition], they can’t tell their buddies not to come back,” said Dave Kogan, marketing manager for Bird-X Inc., a Chicago-based company.

The idea is to make that area a very uncomfortable area.”

Persuasion.

maverick muse on January 20, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Remember this day…….In years to come your children and grand children will ask you where you were on one of the saddest days in American history. And you wont have to say….”Well, I was swooning over the worst person EVER to be elected to the presidency of the United States of America.”.

csdeven on January 20, 2009 at 8:42 AM

When I was young and taking piano lessons, I had a book called, “Teaching little fingers to play” Everytime I look at Obama, I think: “Teaching little idiots to Govern”.

anniekc on January 20, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Barack Obama.

Sec State Hillary. con Bill Clinton, Whitewater
Att Gen Eric Holder. con FALN Mark Rich see above also.
Press Sec David AxelRod con Chicago rezo and the rest
COS Rahm Emanuel con Blago Chicago
Etc etc etc.
I can go on and on with his selections
Is there anyone who does not have a clean record that he is hiring???

SAMIAMJAX on January 20, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Obama has established himself as cool, for now, but continued coolness isn’t guaranteed.

Will Obama lose his cool?

Disturb the Universe on January 20, 2009 at 8:47 AM

I intend to be taking a cr*p at noon so I can at least have a small chuckle every time I think about the innauguration

BTW – has anyone noticed that most of the local trolls are missing in action??? Most likely scenario is that they are all at the DC Droolfest today

bullseye on January 20, 2009 at 8:53 AM

On this Inauguration Day, Obamageddon has arrived in America. Global Warming has stormed Washington with a gripping, massive, oppressive heat wave of 31 degrees. The Potomac is rising from the Arctic glaciers melting. But do not lose “hope-n-change” the coming of The Messiah shall calm the tides and bring our Planet into harmonic convergence. The thronging hordes of cultists have descended upon our once great Capital to bear witness to these and other miracles. Many hoping to be healed of disease and have their mortgages paid off. All these people, not working to feed their families, not at work to better the Nation or contribute to America but instead, during a time of so-called economic disaster are at a party costing the working tax payers 175 Million. Ready for The Chosen One to address the moronic idiots that have voted for “Change” the MSM waits breathlessly, “tingles” running down their legs, probably pee also due to lack of Port-O-Potties. But having successfully fooled a foolish people with slogans and bumper stickers the traitorous Media in America have, at last, proven their ability to “select” their hero, their radical leftist and with lies and distortions elevated a empty suit to the most powerful position on Earth. While real Americans, the ones with a profound understanding of History, of American Pride, work ethics, morals and family values are hard at work or in homes paying for this Obamanation, the rest suck off the teat of welfare. The ones that gather for President Hope-n-Change take a perverse pride in electing a man who we know little about, no school transcripts, no college transcripts and gaps in his life history that little is known about. A man who always played cut-throat politics, destroying opponents, even in his own party. A man who voted “present” hundreds of times to avoid his radical tendencies.

Yes folks, it’s all true. It would be laughable if it wasn’t so pathetically factual. We have now become a Nation of idiots, almost 65 Million of them. Spurred on by our public, union owned, radical schools that have brainwashed our children, foisting far left Socialist Liberalisiam upon our young impressionable skulls full of mush.“Change” to what is the question I constantly ask former, yes former friends that voted for The Leader. A “change” from a free Nation to a Socialist collective? A “change” from a Nation of laws to one that subverts personal freedoms and The Constitution? A “change” from a Nation that supports its wonderful Military to one that calls its soldiers murderers and torturers? A “change” from a Nation that rewards hard work and personal responsibility to one that pays for all a person’s “needs” and creates a dependency on “Big Brother”? Ah, the wonderful Nanny States of America.

Mark Garnett on January 20, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Well, Gang, here we are. Every morning I pray for America and I pray for Barry. I won’t watch today. I feel like we’ve been the victims of the biggest con job in the history of this country. I believe this election has been a victory of style over substance. I hust hope that he is forced by circumstances to govern somewhere around the middle of the political spectrum. Gird your loins. It’s gonna be a long four years.

kingsjester on January 20, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Speaking of Global Warming:

Dr. Takeda Kunihiko, vice-chancellor of the Institute of Science and Technology Research at Chubu University in Japan:

CO2 emissions make absolutely no difference one way or another. … Every scientist knows this, but it doesn’t pay to say so.

The extent to which global warming alarmism is driven by the economic self-interest of alarmists is one of the great untold stories of this scientific scandal.

Ummmm, you think…….

Keemo on January 20, 2009 at 9:14 AM

After watching how easily 65 million (and counting because many more have gone to the dark side) “sheep” can be duped, I see that if indeed an antichrist is waiting out there somewhere, he’s gonna have an easy time of it deceiving the world.

Mr_Magoo on January 20, 2009 at 9:18 AM

although nobody could remember the precise details

This has always been the way with the greatest demagogues – the listener’s response is emotional and primal, not reasoned.

pussum207 on January 20, 2009 at 9:25 AM

*sigh* I’m missing the class and dignity of President Bush and Mrs. Bush already. So I will say, once more with feeling, “Thank you, President Bush!”

stoutcat on January 20, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Jaibones on January 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Although I understand your point. I almost wonder if we’ll all be singing the same tune when:

-Gitmo closes, and Obama frees all the terrorists
-The economy gets even worse, and you’re unemployed for a year or more
-An ammo ban occurs, and reduces every law abiding gun owner to carrying a little peashooter .22
-Drilling bans, oil bans, and all those other “green initiatives” take place, and gas shoots up past $4.50/gallon
-Taxes shoots up for EVERYONE in an effort to control the national debt that stems from the lovely $825,000,000,000 stimulus (I added all of the zeros so that everyone can visualize how much money that really is).

I know you didn’t vote for him. I know you probably don’t agree with his policy either. The fact still remains that we’re (we being conservatives) all a little too quick to inherit this factor of trust from a man that hasn’t proven that he’s trustworthy, or even a believer/defender of capitalism.

leetpriest on January 20, 2009 at 10:04 AM

President Barack Obama: “Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.”

kiakjones on January 20, 2009 at 10:05 AM

I hope for America that his “coolness” is enough, cause there ain’t nothing else there. Calling him an empty suit does a disservice to “empty”. Even empty spaces contain matter. Does ego have matter?

SKYFOX on January 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I’ve listened to Barack Hussein Obama try to explain his unique qualifications for the presidency for what seems like forever. I have a pretty good idea what he stands for and what his plans are for our country.

I didn’t vote for him. I don’t like him, I don’t like where or how he intends to lead the U.S., and I don’t trust him to keep us safe. But he is my president.

I hope he fails…the sooner the better.

Barb Dwyer on January 20, 2009 at 10:18 AM

GOD BLESS AMERICA. PEACE BE WITH THEM. WITH US ALL.

seejanemom on January 20, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Mom thinks Michelle ma belle is wearing protective body armor. If true, that’s heartbreaking. She should be allowed to enjoy today with no other baggage, other than the sobering reality that her husband has to stop campaigning for office and actually do some hard work.

leetpriest on January 20, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Pardon my lack of clarity (you must be new year!) – I don’t know of a single thing Obama has ever said that I agree with, and I will vocally oppose his every leftist policy.

But I’ll support the moves he makes that are correct, and when he is attacked by our enemies, I will stand beside him. He is my President.

This is the difference between conservatives and the leftists who go to Europe and Africa and insult our country and our President. If you wish to be like them, I will be your enemy.

Jaibones on January 20, 2009 at 10:33 AM

It was never a victory of Style over Substance. McCain had no substance at all. It was style over stylesness. It was words over a bumbling idiot. Could Romney have done better? Not likely, but he wouldn’t have gotten blown out so badly because he’d have had answers to the question: are we in a recession? His answer would have been yes and turning it over a a person just out of the Ill State Senate is catastrophic and stupid.

Jan 20, 2012 can’t get here fast enough. Obama is a one termer once all the regular voters figure out he was foisted on them by elite liberals.

JP1986UM on January 20, 2009 at 11:39 AM