Has Martin Luther King’s “Dream” been fulfilled?

posted at 9:32 am on January 19, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

A new CNN poll asks the question on Martin Luther King Day, and not surprisingly, the election of America’s first black president appears to have made a big difference from earlier responses.  Last year at this time, only a third of African-Americans believed that we had achieved King’s vision.  This year, two-thirds say we have fulfilled the promise, but surprisingly, whites are more pessimistic:

More than two-thirds of African-Americans believe Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for race relations has been fulfilled, a CNN poll found — a figure up sharply from a survey in early 2008.

The CNN-Opinion Research Corp. survey was released Monday, a federal holiday honoring the slain civil rights leader and a day before Barack Obama is to be sworn in as the first black U.S. president.

The poll found 69 percent of blacks said King’s vision has been fulfilled in the more than 45 years since his 1963 “I have a dream” speech — roughly double the 34 percent who agreed with that assessment in a similar poll taken last March.

But whites remain less optimistic, the survey found.

“Whites don’t feel the same way — a majority of them say that the country has not yet fulfilled King’s vision,” CNN polling director Keating Holland said. However, the number of whites saying the dream has been fulfilled has also gone up since March, from 35 percent to 46 percent.

Glenn Reynolds says the difference between responses from whites and blacks comes from a guilt to which whites cling.  I’m not certain that’s it entirely, although I think some on the hard Left like to use it as a crutch to justify their somewhat totalitarian policy demands.  Without having American society to decry for its racist/imperialist bent, their policies of confiscation and elite control make no sense at all, to the extent they ever did.  Acknowledging that a free-market, democratic nation can make that kind of progress knocks the legs out from under the International ANSWER/World Can’t Wait crowd.

I’d say that the more pessimistic attitude coming from whites may not be pessimism at all, but a sense that whites don’t have the standing to make that call, in a philosophical sense at least.  We don’t live the black experience, and while that gets overstated at times, it still means that we don’t necessarily notice barriers when they exist.  The best we can do is to make sure that we don’t discriminate in government policy, law enforcement, and the marketplace, and hope for the day when racial divisions become as meaningful as the conflicts between the Irish and the Italians a century ago.

Electing a black President goes a long way to proving that we have indeed fulfilled Martin Luther King’s vision of America as a place of true equality.  That doesn’t make me a fan of Barack Obama, mind you, because I’m much more concerned over policy than skin color — and that’s also a fulfillment of Dr.King’s vision.  It just makes me a fan of America.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

My question was not irrelevant. Non-American’s come here and spout off about “rampant racism across America”, so I question the situation in their own countries.

DarkCurrent on January 19, 2009 at 12:17 PM
——–
There’s lots of racism up here. I already acknowledged that.
Measuring a country’s advancement based on its ability to elect a black leader is stupid.
I love how everybody calls Obama black when he’s actually mixed. So, in actuality, you’ve elected your first mixed race prez.
Next.

Dave Rywall on January 19, 2009 at 12:22 PM

[Zaggs on January 19, 2009 at 11:53 AM]

That’s unfair. He would have gotten near 50% no matter what since he ran for the nomination against Hillary. Or are you saying HRC’s ideals and convictions were superior to his?

The bottom line is that for a politician running for office, the content he offered was better than the others and, as is rather becoming rather obvious, some independently defined “content of character” is hardly the predominant measure.

I think the lofty rhetoric of MLK’s Dream speech has to measured within the framework of subject at hand to some extent.

Dusty on January 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Agreed.

Next.

Dave Rywall on January 19, 2009 at 12:22 PM

What country that you are very familiar with (and speak the local language so you know what people are talking about) is less racist than the US?

DarkCurrent on January 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM

MLK B-Day today, BHO as pres tomorrow.
How oxymoronic.
I think “The Dream” of MLK (plus millions and millions of Americans of all colors) will die a little Jan 20th, 2009 at noon.
The importance of a persons Content of Character has been assassinated.
Socialist politics has and will continue to push real American values of FREEDOM thru honor and integrity out the door in the name of ‘equality’.

shooter on January 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Even Rywall admits Obama wasn’t elected for his character.

SO that’s another vote against MLK’s dream.

jeff_from_mpls on January 19, 2009 at 12:22 PM
——-
Uh, no. I admitted no such thing.

Obama got elected for having a seemingly better clue than McCain and for Bush doing a lame job over the past 8 years.

Without doubt there are some votes in the pile cast for him with his race in mind.

Just as there were some votes cast against him because of his race.

Dave Rywall on January 19, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Well if I were polled, I would say I don’t feel good about the country and its willingness to indulge in blank check spending. At least Reagan spent deficits on tax cuts that grew the economy and on military hardware that reversed Saddam’s assault on oil needed for Western economies. Fine, spend a day noticing the color of the President’s skin, then let’s get back to work.

Mark30339 on January 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM

DarkCurrent on January 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM
——

Canada.

Dave Rywall on January 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM

With all his lice as a flawed human being, Dr. King weaps in his grave today. His cause and dream are shattered. 180 degrees of what he dreamed of was realized. Sad for the cause.

DarkCurrent on January 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM

This is a logical question, posed to an emotional, ‘feeling’ person. I can’t wait for the answer.

Entelechy on January 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM

“Canada” – mh? How many black, Muslim, Asian prsidents, MPs have you had? I know “women” is not part of race, but while at it, how many of them?

What do you base your answer on – Canada of today, or Canada of years back, or forever?

Entelechy on January 19, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Rywall, also, please provide how you measure the extent of racism in any country.

Entelechy on January 19, 2009 at 12:39 PM

DarkCurrent on January 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM
—–
We’re more tolerant than you guys, more live and let live, and we don’t have the whole slavery baggage thing – we helped your slaves escape. We’re a mosaic which is very different from America’s melting pot, but in some ways, more respectful and promoting of the preservation of one’s cultural heritage within the framework of being a Canadian and a (whatever you are).

Dave Rywall on January 19, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Muslim isnt a race either Ent.

dogsoldier on January 19, 2009 at 12:39 PM

And the US is hopelessly racist and sexist against white males.

dogsoldier on January 19, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Whilst I think it’s cool that a black man (whether 1/2 black or 1/4 black or whatever) was elected to the Highest Office in the Land, I wish upon wish that Obama would have been vetted more vigorously. I wish that his extremist friends and his extremist views and his wishy-washy answers would have been put to more scrutiny.

Do I think MLK’s dream was acheived? Not so much. Oh a black man is about to take the oath of office, but I fear he’s going to be thrown into the deep ending with a bunch of sharks. And I think he’s ill-prepared to deal with it.

I hope he surprises me with his leadership and whatevs, but I fear that my assessment of him thus far is going to be right.

Hey, Dave Rywall, when is our country o’ Canada going to elect a Native American PM? Or a Chinese one? Or an East Indian one? (FYI – these are the ones who have the racism against them where I come from) Just curious what your take is since you seem to think you know EVERYTHING!!!!!! We’ve had enough bloody French people in charge, it’s about time someone useful becomes PM….

mjk on January 19, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Yes, dogsoldier, admittedly, but they are so ‘tolerant’ up there.

Rywall, again, how do you measure what you said @ 12:39?

Entelechy on January 19, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Entelechy on January 19, 2009 at 12:37 PM
——–

Yawn.

Lots of non-white MP’s.
Non-white premiers.
Non-white mayors.
Non-white cabinet ministers at the provincial and federal level.

Look it up, lazya$$.

Dave Rywall on January 19, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Dave Rywall on January 19, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Dr. King never ran for public office. However, he was a Religious Leader who was instrumental in the Civil rights movement in this country. And I do not require my political leaders to be perfect. Not a one of us is perfect. There was and is only one Perfect Man, Jesus Christ.

kingsjester on January 19, 2009 at 12:43 PM

kingsjester on January 19, 2009 at 12:43 PM
——
Good to hear. I hate it when people have some impossible standard for public service, and then they’re all shocked when a politician turns out to be exactly as human as they are.

Dave Rywall on January 19, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Lots of non-white MP’s.
Non-white premiers.
Non-white mayors.
Non-white cabinet ministers at the provincial and federal level.

Look it up, lazya$$.

Dave Rywall on January 19, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I could claim the same for here. Also, all you claimed @12:39 about tolerance. We all can claim anything. Please provide statistical measures. Otherwise it’s just your opinion.

On the “lazya$$”, I’ll compare mine to yours any day. You’d hate the outcome. Of that, I’m as sure as I exist.

Entelechy on January 19, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I also love the Europeans’ lecturing the U.S. on race relations, when none of them, none have progressed as much as the U.S. has, and none would dream of electing a minority to the highest office. It’s all for thee, but not for me.

Entelechy on January 19, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Let today and tomorrow be the symbols of just how far America has come. Now that a black man has risen so high, can we bolt the doors to the NAACP, LULAC, MALDEF, and all the race-baiting pimps who have hijacked MLK’s dream of a colorless America? The NAACP’s silence was deafening with Condi Rice, Justice Thomas, Micheal Steele, etc…Now with Obama, let their empty arguments finally end.

CapitalistPig on January 19, 2009 at 12:50 PM

White Guilt, alive and well. Who says the public education system isn’t effective?

Disturb the Universe on January 19, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Well good,, I am glad that Dream thing has arrived. Now we can criticize Obama without being called a racist, right?
Cause it’s not about the color of his skin, but the character of his heart.

JellyToast on January 19, 2009 at 12:53 PM

There’s also sadness in there. Especially when it comes to racism in 2009. But maybe you don’t care about racism.

Dave Rywall on January 19, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Actually, I don’t care what race a person is. People are people. And Racism 2009 is light years better than Racism 1963, which was light years better than Racism 1870. Unfortunately though, racism will always be with us, in that Ignorance comes in all colors. And the irresponsible, liberal press will always be there to hyperventilate and make isolated occurrences appear to be “rampant”.

Patrick S on January 19, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Dave Rywall on January 19, 2009 at 12:39 PM

It’s not 1850 anymore Dave, but if you’re thinking of the period you might note that Americans in both northern and southern states did the same.

Btw, I’m not saying Canada is more racist than anywhere else. I just think you haven’t really been out much in the world if you think the US is a rampantly rascist country.

DarkCurrent on January 19, 2009 at 12:55 PM

“We’re more tolerant than you guys, …”

[Dave Rywall on January 19, 2009 at 12:39 PM]

Which really means more intolerant. Your baggage is as deep as Britain’s, which isn’t anything to brag about. BTW, we helped out slaves escape, too, and there were more of us doing it than you.

Oh yeah, and mosaics suck. Being a melting pot assures the best is kept while the less than best is discarded. If your country was a lot older, you’d be lauding the fact that some portion is of your population is still speaks Neanderthal and have square wheels on their transports.

Dusty on January 19, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Dusty on January 19, 2009 at 12:57 PM

“Mosaics” are inherently racist, separate and unequal. Only in a melting pot, mutt, nation can there be anything approaching equality.

Count to 10 on January 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Martin Luther King’s dream was that individuals would be judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. Barack Obama’s victory and especially the media coverage has judged him on the color of his skin. MLK’s vision is not here yet.

We are still a society obsessed with race. There is less prejudice, it is less accepted by society, and shunned by the law, but we are still obsessed with race. This obsession, even the “enlightened” obsession of liberals and the media is proof that we haven’t moved past it. When we elect a black President who hasn’t shown the spotlight on his race when it suits him and who hasn’t received the adulation of the professional media because of his race we will have accomplished something.

JDScott on January 19, 2009 at 1:29 PM

During the 18 month election process, we were told by the MSM, was post racial, Barak was not a black candidate, but a candidate who was black, and now the same MSM is telling us that hey, that Barak guy is black and his election lifts the stain of slavery from our collective consciousness.

Ironically, I took the MSM at their word. The election process was not about race. Barak did not get my vote because he is a liberal, his race was irrelevant. Now I am told by the same media that his race is significant???? How can we learn to be color blind if we constantly obsess about color????

As Rush said this morning, the glowing media coverage is not an inclusive celebration of a new presidency, but a deep collective partisan validation. I don’t celebrate when the other team wins, I give them their due, then work out a plan on how to beat them the next time we play.

All this bogus celebration stuff, back slapping self congratulations of a Congress which continues to run the largest peacetime deficit in American history, with an approval rating of 14% (roughly half of Bushitler), and corruption scandals making daily headlines, boggles my mind.

Mainstream media is dead. Choose your news as you choose your views and choose wisely. Turn em off.

Angry Dumbo on January 19, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I have seen a lot of improvement in race relations in my 67 years of life. I always listen again to the complete Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King’s I HAVE A DREAM SPEECH on this day. We have not reached his goal completely yet.
***
His speech seems to come directly from God through MLK’s thoughts and speech–like something from one of the Biblical Prophets. His vision was far above just protecting and advancing Black People’s rights in our society–it dealt with every decent human person’s value in God’s eyes.
***
MLK was not perfect–but it was a real tragedy when he was murdered. He was one of the consciences of our country. He was the real deal–a great American.
***
John Bibb

rocketman on January 19, 2009 at 2:41 PM

MLK’s dream will NEVER be realized through political action. It WILL, however, finally be realized on the day that the heavens open up and Jesus descends. It’s pretty much THAT simple. Anyone that tells you different is in denial or worse. Obama falls into the worse category. The amount of damage that he will do will be directly proportional to the number of people that he fools and the length of time that he permitted to champion the lie that “yes, we CAN build utopia on earth through government action.”

My collie says:

Politics, self-government, and all the other implements of mankind merely reflect the race of beings that invented them. They always have, and always will be flawed. Only the level/degree of corruption changes — surging or waning over the centuries. It is a consequence of “The Fall”. Get over it, already.

CyberCipher on January 19, 2009 at 4:50 PM

I haven’t been following this, but read Ed’s commentary.

I believe we have yet to learn whether “the dream” is fulfilled. And I say that as someone who sleeps pretty well at night, without a trace of white guilt. In my office in a Federal agency near the White House, I am privileged to work with a racially and ethnically diverse group of people. And yet, there is a black women who walks into the office two hours late every damn day. It’s safe to say she doesn’t leave two hours late. It’s also safe to say that a white male would never get away with this. Fifteen years ago, we had another black woman in the same office, who did the same thing, and even left early. They not only let her get away with it, but promoted her.

When people like this are dealt with, when the situation is based solely on merit, and not on fears of playing “the race card,” it is then — and ONLY then — that a man will “not be judged by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character.”

I would put it another way: to the extent that the election of Obama is the fulfillment of “the dream” of Dr King, affirmative action is no longer necessary.

manwithblackhat on January 19, 2009 at 4:58 PM

But now that you mention it, CC’s collie may be on to something.

manwithblackhat on January 19, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Did 97% of black voters choose their candidate on his “content of character” rather than “color of skin?” I think not. Dr King would be mortified at just how inward black America has become. Perhaps more even then when he was alive.

dartagnansblade on January 19, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Maybe, butfor me seeing a black elected who had both american borm black parents whoworked his way up and distingushed himselfby his work and character not his willingness to sell his soul for each step up theladdrer like Obama has.

A man like J. C. Watts, who yes used his athletic skill for a start in life, but who has become a good conservative christian leader and congressman. He has constantly impressed me with his ability and I would be glad to vote for a manof his character.

Kevin in Southern Illinois on January 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM

It was a bit lower than that. But nearly 90% of blacks vote Democrat anyway. So you’ve got a maximum of like 5% or so of blacks that clearly voted just based on race.

crr6 on January 19, 2009 at 6:41 PM

What none of the pukelicious MSM pundits ever ask is:

What would MLK think of Obama’s character?

(Which was Dr. King’s central point, not the skin color of any person.)

Obama played the race card like a Stradavarius.

And the suckers are weeping over the historical magic of the HopeyChangey melody, ~while ignoring the empty suit sawing on the strings.

profitsbeard on January 19, 2009 at 6:43 PM

The level of racism of a country can be very simply measured by the population flows. When black people leave black countries to come live in the US, that shows what they think about the opportunities here versus other countries.

Black population flow is almost exclusively into the US, with about 0 blacks leaving the US, even for any of the very many black-run countries. That says all anyone needs to know about the true state of “racism” in America, written out in clear numbers that anyone should be able to understand.

progressoverpeace on January 19, 2009 at 6:52 PM

crr6 on January 19, 2009 at 6:41 PM

The point is that the black vote is nearly monolithic, and not at all critical, which is far worse than being merely race-based in its decisions. Our country is based on individualism, the opposite of this sort of silly, and destructive, collectivism.

progressoverpeace on January 19, 2009 at 7:01 PM

I guess this thread begs another question:

Why is MLK the only American who merits a federal holiday? This question is all too often ignored, since its answer is all too obvious and politically incorrect.

progressoverpeace on January 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM

I am going to spend the next four years telling everybody that a vote for Obambi was a vote for racism. Skin color, pure and simple.

I anticipate that being called vile names will be the norm for me. That’s fine.

Obambi is a snake oil salesman. He has no right to claim the heritage of slaves in America because that is not his history.

MLK did not put it all on the line (and give up his life) so an African could come to America and knock up some underage girl while he was still married to someone else.

Obambi is not the first African-American president. That event has not yet happened because African-American is a term reserved for descendants of freed American slaves.

Freed American slaves. What part of that has to do with skin color today?

platypus on January 19, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Perhaps I didn’t read far back enough in the comments, but I think nobody’s mentioned the obvious – The dream was that a person would be judged on the content of their character and not the color of their skin. However:
1. Affirmative Action quotas are institutionalized racism. They explicitly look at the a person’s skin color (and gender). Want to guess how many Caucasian American men are aware that they aren’t going to make the company/municipality stats look better, even if they have every qualification and more?
2. Even if the content of a person’s character is criticized, and the person happens to be a minority, it can be quickly (and too often effectively) implied as racism – whether this is true or not.
3. The fear of being accused of racism (which is as good as being guilty), whether or not true, is so pervasive that Caucasian Americans in daily experience often must consider whether anything they say or do could possibly be considered even remotely racist (i.e if I have a bad day and look at Linda the wrong way – what consequences will it have?). Not sure of the last time I’ve heard of a minority (or woman) lose a job/career over derogatory comments toward Caucasians (or men).

catholic_cowgirl on January 19, 2009 at 10:51 PM

I would love for this to actually be true, so that we could finally get rid of quotas and affirmative action and liberal white guilt that unfortunately has an impact on all of us whether we practice it or not. It would be a pleasure not to have to hear anymore about our “shameful history” from the hand-wringers on the left — especially since MY ancestors were too busy trying to eke out a meager existence in Ireland and Italy to be running slave plantations here in the United States.

Unfortunately, I predict that when they take this poll again in four years, when the bloom is off the rose, the numbers will be closer again to what they were last year. When The One fails to pay off everyone’s mortgage and car note and credit card loans, when urban black youth are still shooting each other dead over stupid, pointless s*** instead of going to school and getting an education and a job and getting OUT — when all of the things that plague the black community today are still plaguing them even after four years of Obama, they will revert to being as bitter and hate-oriented as they were a year ago. Obviously this is a generalization and doesn’t apply to all blacks, but I feel comfortable ascribing it to the majority. Stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason; there’s usual some kernel of truth to them. Until the black community starts demanding that ALL of its members start exercising some personal responsibility, nothing will ever change. Obama may hold some promise as a role model for young blacks, someone who isn’t a sports superstar or a rap singer or an entertainer. But beyond that, I’m not sure his ascension to the throne will change much culturally.

Nevertheless, liberals obviously THINK his election marks a watershed moment in race relations in this country, so I intend to hold them to that — and the next time I hear someone complaining about racism in America, I am going to remind them that when we elected the half-black man, all of that magically went away.

I’d be curious to see the results of the same poll but with Susan B. Anthony’s name substituted for MLK’s. I would bet fully 90% of respondents would claim that gender bias is a nonissue in the 21st century. I bet Hillary and Gov. Palin would disagree.

NoLeftTurn on January 20, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Not fully fulfilled. For it to be fulfilled, the president would have to be a descendant of American slaves. He is not. He barely even looks black. He doesn’t sound black. He doesn’t really have a black family in the US except some illegal immigrant aunt… he is NOT an African American in the way that term sits in the American Public’s psyche.

AlexB on January 20, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Well, got some bad news for Dr. King:

These days, it ain’t about the content of anybody’s character and in most ways it’s all about the color of their skin.

So, sorry, Dude, your successors killed your dream.

Happy Birthday.

SuperCool on January 20, 2009 at 5:08 AM

I thought it had already been accomplished – when segregation ended. Afterward, it was up to the individual to judge a person by the content of their character, and not by the color of their skin. I don’t see why the question is being brought up now that a half black man has become president.

No, quite the opposite has happened actually. The majority of voters and the liberal media (which swayed said voters) chose to look past all of the unsavory aspects of his personality, associations, & policy, and vote for him because he is black.
I’m not saying of course that that is the sole reason, one would vote for him – obviously there are many out there who truly believe in the ideals held by the far left, but rather this is why he was elected and why he won. People chose to judge him on the color of his skin rather than the content of his character.

YoungAmerican on January 20, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Sadly, when people say they believe in equality, they actually mean “equality” for their own group.

In the words of the great George Orwell, “All animals are created equal… only some of us are more equal than others”- Animal Farm

When white people voted for Obama, it wasn’t because they wanted to end racism and create an equality in the country- they were sick of Bush and bought into the Obama media hype that gave them the impression that election a bi-racial man would absolve them of their past sins of racism and discrimination (although misogyny and sexism is alive and well and acceptable in both parties).

The joke is that Obama is not a progressive leftist. He’s a centrist and always was. He co-opted all his opponents messages and themes (especially John Edwards populist stance) and the media let him run on it without so much as a peep. Obama bad mouthed Hillary and made Bill Clinton out to be a “racist”, yet everything he’s done is out of the Clinton handbook.

For those who worried that McCain would be Bush III, they were wrong. Obama = Bush III

stefystef on January 20, 2009 at 12:06 PM