Expiration date watch: Obama supports coal?

posted at 10:02 am on January 16, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

My friend and co-host Jim Geraghty often reminds us that all of Barack Obama’s statements come with an expiration date.  Some of them we can cheer, especially the latest expiration on coal.   Obama promised to bankrupt any new coal plants during the campaign, but this week has signaled that coal will play a big role in his domestic energy plans (via Instapundit):

Big Coal is on a roll in the nation’s capital, winning early rounds this week in what promises to be a long fight over fossil fuels and climate change.

Despite a well-funded ad campaign by environmentalists attacking the industry, and a huge coal-ash spill in Tennessee that has led to calls for more regulation, the industry has received positive assurances this week from President-elect Barack Obama’s nominees that the new administration is committed to keeping coal a big part of the nation’s energy source.

On Wednesday, Mr. Obama’s choice to lead the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Lisa Jackson, described coal to a Senate panel as “a vital resource” for the country. A day earlier, Mr. Obama’s nominee to run the Energy Department, physicist Steven Chu, referred to coal as a “great natural resource.” Two years ago, he called the expansion of coal-fired power plants his “worst nightmare.”

The comments indicated the new administration is trying to steer toward the center in the debate over the costs associated with curbing fossil fuels and the greenhouse gases they produce.

A year ago, Obama told the San Francisco Chronicle this:

So, if somebody wants to build a coal plant, they can — it’s just that it will bankrupt them, because they are going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that’s being emitted.

Has Obama flip-flopped?  I’m not as sanguine as Glenn.  Further into the story, a few more details come out about these nominees.  First, Jackson promised to address a recent ruling by outgoing EPA administrator Stephen Johnson that keeps states from imposing their own greenhouse-gas emissions standards.  She also refused to specify under what circumstances the EPA itself would invoke a public-health trigger that allows the EPA to exercise a vast regulatory authority over all emissions in the US.

It’s easy to talk about coal being a “vital resource” in front of Congress.  Obama did that on the campaign trail, too, at the same time he talked about bankrupting people who open coal plants.  The public support now for coal won’t make much difference when Jackson starts invoking the Clean Air Act triggers and starts regulating a naturally-occuring component of air, and when states do the same thing with the EPA’s blessing.  Obama’s promise to bankrupt coal-plant operators will still get fulfilled.

I’d love to see that statement have an expiration date — but thus far, I don’t see one.

Comments

Like every other statement, just words.

Vashta.Nerada on January 16, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Energy is the issue that we could drive a wedge, eventually, between alot of voters and the Dems.

IF, Obama is stupid enough(or the far-left forces him), into a Jimmy Carter like: “turn down the thermostat and put on a sweater” situation.

Left Wing governments are now talking banning Flat Screen TV’s because of Power consumption in Europe and California. There are many americans that “green” appeals to them rhetorically, but if it comes to affecting their lives negatively(see $4 gas), they will raise hell.

jp on January 16, 2009 at 10:06 AM

You can cover a pig in coal, but its still a pig.

blatantblue on January 16, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Does anything this guy says mean anything at all?

NoDonkey on January 16, 2009 at 10:08 AM

also, the GOP has to continue to hit the nail on the Energy issue and ALWAYS tie it into national Security and not just the Middle East but what Putin is doing.

by summer, Putin will have made a major play in Europe, either Ukraine, Georgia or both.

jp on January 16, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I hope traitor Murtha’s constituents will be happy when their coal plants shut down.

becki51758 on January 16, 2009 at 10:09 AM

whats infuriating is the MSM will let a Democrat get away with playing this game, but not a Republican.

basically the GOP is at a huge handicap disadvantage politically thanks to the MSM. The only saving grace has been the idiocy of the Dems combined with Americans generally being conservative. If the majority of Americans move to the Left combined with MSM, we are doomed.

jp on January 16, 2009 at 10:10 AM

This is the way liberals usually work.

They say one thing for public consumption, then set up the beaurocracy to do just the opposite.

This wouldn’t work if we had an independant media.

MarkTheGreat on January 16, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Yeah, dance Obama, dance. I like that screencap.

BadgerHawk on January 16, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Pay no attention to what the man says. Let’s see what he actually does… if we can actually find out.

zmdavid on January 16, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Obama may be playing for a second term, do all the liberal stuff then.

jp on January 16, 2009 at 10:14 AM

and if Obama gets Bush like approval numbers at any point, the MSM will tell us America must be Racist and try to Guilt trip Obama to a 50% or better approval.

jp on January 16, 2009 at 10:14 AM

This wouldn’t work if we had an independant media.

MarkTheGreat on January 16, 2009 at 10:10 AM

That’s why I would vote Republican even if the candidates ere identical. Republicans get challenged by the media, Democrats don’t. It’s too great a temptation to corruption when you can do whatever you want and never be criticized.

zmdavid on January 16, 2009 at 10:15 AM

“Lies…lies…you’re telling me that you’ll be true. Lies…lies…that’s all I ever get from you.”

He’s only lying when his lips are moving. I can’t even watch him anymore. It’s gonna be a long 4 years.

kingsjester on January 16, 2009 at 10:15 AM

becki51758 on January 16, 2009 at 10:09 AM

We’re busy drilling for natural gas.

mred on January 16, 2009 at 10:16 AM

zmdavid on January 16, 2009 at 10:12 AM

His lips moved a lot in his March “race” speech, and then he finally turned the tables on Wright. But he still sat in that church–apparently, deaf, dumb, and blind–for nearly 20 years without objection.

He’s a tool who will point whichever way the wind blows.

BuckeyeSam on January 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM

It is hard to face people freezing their buns off and say, “no coal for fuel to heat your homes, it might cause global warming”.

I WANT MY GLOBAL WARMING AND I WANT IT NOW!

Laura in Maryland on January 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I hope its freezing cold on inauguration day, if any Global Warming garbage is in his speech he’ll look like an idiot.

jp on January 16, 2009 at 10:25 AM

kingsjester on January 16, 2009 at 10:15 AM

“Tell me lies, tell me sweet little liiiiiiess…tell me lies, tell me tell me liiiiiieesss…”

Obarfy is only now realizing that he actually has to…GASP!…make decisions, lead and be the POTUS. That’s right, you dummy, the job really does demand more than mixing and mingling with a gaggle of as$hats at liberal cocktail parties.

Welcome to the Big Show.

Bishop on January 16, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Obama may be playing for a second term, do all the liberal stuff then.

jp on January 16, 2009 at 10:14 AM

I’m still waiting for the other shoe to drop too, but I think he is shrewd enough to know that circumstances beyond his control or fix quickly can make him a one-termer. His bipartisan outreach and middle of the road approach is just cover so he can blame problems on the Republican, conservative policies, and say “We tried it their way”.

Laura in Maryland on January 16, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Umm how is it moving to the center when Obama says it. But as far as i can tell he is saying buisness as usual. So basically he is keeping up Bush’s policy on coal. But when Bush was talking about coal, he was eeeevil & wanted to destroy our lovely planet. So my only conclusion is , a Republican does something its evil & a Democrat does the same thing, and he is a centrist who understands the country.

MDWNJ on January 16, 2009 at 10:26 AM

jp on January 16, 2009 at 10:25 AM

It is supposed to be brutal that day. The news reported that hospitals are on stand-by for hypothermia cases. The new term is “climate issues”, because everyone knows it is always coldest before the warming.

Laura in Maryland on January 16, 2009 at 10:29 AM

In the end… the Dems don’t want to risk OH, PA or WV. Their thirst to grasp and maintain power will trump the enviro-nuts.

mankai on January 16, 2009 at 10:30 AM

it would be fitting if the Temp in Washington is zer0 degrees that day.

jp on January 16, 2009 at 10:31 AM

So far just words…and his words change, and change meaning.
We just have to wait until he is actually the President is actually “present”.

right2bright on January 16, 2009 at 10:31 AM

jp on January 16, 2009 at 10:06 AM

As I recall, they’re referring to plasma sets, not LCDs.

It’s still BS. I use a 24″ widescreen trinitron CRT monitor on my home computer and I will until that thing dies. Helps heat my room while it’s currently 18 degrees below zero outside. Global warming my frozen ass.

MadisonConservative on January 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM

mred on January 16, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I am in central Pa and my town council voted down the wind farms to be installed on Ice Mountain after a vocalprotect over them from locals We have natural gas on the mountain and I would rather see the town council vote to have drilling started there.

I only meant that there are quite a few coal plants in that area and near Pittsburgh…which is part of Murtha’s district.

becki51758 on January 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM

mankai on January 16, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Yes, so if he goes that route(moderate) we have to make life for the Enviro-nazi’s that got him elected miserable and keep reminding them that their Messiah is destroying their planet. Try to get them to rebel and not support him in 2012

jp on January 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM

oops..I meant vocal protest.

becki51758 on January 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM

It is supposed to be brutal that day.

32, which is pretty cold for people standing outside all day.

That’s too bad.

At least it’ll make Stinktown smell a little less putrid and Harry Reid won’t have to be offended by sweaty tourists.

NoDonkey on January 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Bishop on January 16, 2009 at 10:25 AM
Laura in Maryland on January 16, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Being overwhelmed, he has reached out to the Clintonistas who are molding him into “Slickmeister – Part Two”. The only problem is, he doesn’t have the years of political wrangling that Bubba had and it’s beginning to show. Barry’s Obamessiah facade is starting to show some cracks in it.

kingsjester on January 16, 2009 at 10:33 AM

OT: Comcast launches all-Obama channel

Conservative_SAHM on January 16, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Global warming my frozen ass.
MadisonConservative on January 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM

That would make a great t-shirt, Mad. LOL

kingsjester on January 16, 2009 at 10:34 AM

MadisonConservative on January 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM

It’ll be whatever the Govt. defines as too much energy consumption.

Plasma’s using more juice than LCD’s is a bit of a myth also, from test that CNET and Crutchfield have done. Never the less, Panasonic is claiming their new 09 Plasma’s will use half as much Energy.

Problem is down the road they keep adding new features to this tv’s as they incorporate with Computers and the Interent and new 3D tech., my guess is to do this stuff they’ll need to use more Energy.

Decent chance Light Bulbs get banned in some way in coming years.

jp on January 16, 2009 at 10:35 AM

- Does anything this guy says mean anything at all?

- He’s a people pleaser – that’s what happens to guys who grow up without daddies.

- Clinton II – he’ll say anything, at anytime, as long as he thinks it’s what people want to hear at the time.

NoDonkey on January 16, 2009 at 10:08 AM

The Trifecta. My nominee for comment of the year so far.

Jaibones on January 16, 2009 at 10:36 AM

A few freezing winters up north should get the liberals attention. What is everyone going to use there fireplaces to stay warm & cook food? Take about CO2 emissions!! It will be the good old days like back in 1840 when we didn’t have any sinking coal burning power plants and we liked it!! The smell of wood burning filled the air with a blue smoky haze and I thought yes!! this is progress on a grand scale.

izoneguy on January 16, 2009 at 10:36 AM

… it’s currently 18 degrees below zero outside. Global warming my frozen ass.

MadisonConservative on January 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM

- 18 in Chicago, this morning at 6am, confirmed by my car’s thermometer. The news reports – 30 actual air temperature in both Joliet and Aurora. Not a misprint. Coldest recorded temps in my 44 years in Chicago, beating the memorable -25 on Christmas Eve 1984.

Catastrophic Global Warming is killing me.

Jaibones on January 16, 2009 at 10:39 AM

… it’s currently 18 degrees below zero outside. Global warming my frozen ass.

MadisonConservative on January 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM

The punch line is Drudge’s report about Madison developing municipal laws to combat global warming while it’s -18. Idjits.

Jaibones on January 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Decent chance Light Bulbs get banned in some way in coming years.
jp on January 16, 2009 at 10:35 AM

That’s why shrewd fellows nip on down to Home Depot now and then to grab a case of the cheapie bulbs.

And yes I did use the words shrewd, fellows and nip.

Bishop on January 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Conservative_SAHM on January 16, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Damn….I heard Direct tv started this, but Comcast too? ugh I hope this is only to cover this inauguration. In any event I wont watch it.

becki51758 on January 16, 2009 at 10:42 AM

-46 in some places in SD yesterday, according to my relatives. And no, that wasn’t the wind chill; that was the temperature.

Wethal on January 16, 2009 at 10:44 AM

10 degrees with a -4 wind chill a few miles from Graceland this morning. And Al Gore is nowhere to be seen. If Barry says anything in his inaugural speech about fighting Global Warming while you can see his breath in front of him, it will be a great video moment.

kingsjester on January 16, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Let us not also forget the dance Biden did on coal, on Obama’s behalf (because he was his VP candidate at the time). I’m not sure if I can even capture the number of flips and flops, but I recall Biden saying they are opposed to any coal plants in the US, but that if they want to build them over seas they should make them clean. Then he denied it, when he realized this wasn’t (always) Obama’s position. It was the usual nonsense, but I just wanted to mention that this coal saga has gone on with these two morons for some time.

RightWinged on January 16, 2009 at 10:44 AM

becki51758 on January 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Ice Mountain is not that far from me. Howdy, neighbor. Keep up the fight!

petefrt on January 16, 2009 at 10:44 AM

- 18 in Chicago, this morning at 6am, confirmed by my car’s thermometer.

Ha, beat you. -22 at 7am with a -40 wind chill this morning in Minnesota.

If it warms up to around zero degrees, I’m dragging out the inflatable pool and going in for dip.

Bishop on January 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Jaibones on January 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM

…and restrict property rights as well.

Vicki McKenna, the local conservative radio talk show host, bought property in town. I have no idea why. When I’m a property owner, it will not be in Dane County.

MadisonConservative on January 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM

I was talking to a liberal the other and mentioned I love these cold bitter Chicago days if only because it makes Al Gore look like the fool he is. The reply was “Al Gore is very smart, the greenhouse gas emissions are more important than the temperatures”. I stopped talking. You can only bang your head against the wall so much.

sherry on January 16, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Along the coast of NC this morning, 23 degrees, nothing like up north, but about as cold as it here in Wilmington.
I think we are about 20 degrees below average this year…bring in the coal.
Why is global warming so dog gone cold?

right2bright on January 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM

sherry on January 16, 2009 at 10:46 AM

That’s why you can’t win an argument against a liberal…common sense is foreign to them. They just make up stuff.

right2bright on January 16, 2009 at 10:50 AM

petefrt on January 16, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Hey neighbor! Wow..amazing someone who knows Ice Mountain!

The council plans on voting again, but Im not sure when. The whole town is against it. Trust me…we are fighting this like he**.

becki51758 on January 16, 2009 at 10:52 AM

The global warming game.
For Democrats of all ages.
Fun for the whole family.

Its to hot. Global Warming
Its to cold. Global Warming
Hurricanes. Global Warming
Tornadoes. Global Warming
Toe Fungus. Bacteria…ANNHHHHH…You lose stupid…Its Global Warming.

MDWNJ on January 16, 2009 at 10:53 AM

right2bright on January 16, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Sad but very true. And a great summary statement about our liberal biased media. Except they don’t make it up, they just “manipulate it”. Tragic.

sherry on January 16, 2009 at 10:54 AM

I wonder how long till the Kossacs and other libs reach the tipping point and realize that “The One” isn’t their “messiah” but instead just another slickly packaged and presented politician?

wildcat84 on January 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Obama can do anything, say anything….no media watchdogs.

ex-Democrat on January 16, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Obama knew how to get elected. It looks like he knows how to stay in office. If he does well, the Democrats will not challenge him in 2012 and the Republicans will not stand a chance.

Moving towards the middle=electoral success.

Krydor on January 16, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Ha, beat you. -22 at 7am with a -40 wind chill this morning in Minnesota.

Bishop on January 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM

You guys need to move to Arizona. It’s warm and sunny here (mid 70′s this week), and we have lots of houses for sale right now — very cheap! Come and help us keep AZ conservative.

AZCoyote on January 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM

No doubt Stephanopoulos will ask Obama about his pledge to bankrupt new coal plants.

drjohn on January 16, 2009 at 11:23 AM

The whole town is against it. Trust me…we are fighting this like he**.

becki51758 on January 16, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Gamesa wants to turn the mountain wilderness near my place into a wind turbine installation. The Gamesa-hatred around here is palpable. There are Gamesa protest signs from here to Johnstown… in almost every third yard.

Did you see this yet? House Bill To Include Billions In Grants For Wind Projects
NB: That’s gubmit grants. Tax incentives are being replaced by huge gubmit grants.

Wind farms have become more about PORK than electricity. They have no place in an ‘economic stimulus package, as their effect on the economy, especially after their higher energy prices are factored in, is negative not positive.

petefrt on January 16, 2009 at 11:30 AM

We’re screwed.

CP on January 16, 2009 at 11:30 AM

OT: Comcast launches all-Obama channel

Conservative_SAHM on January 16, 2009 at 10:34 AM

How long ’til we get Obama State TV?

CP on January 16, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Two points…

First, one thing you do not want to do is telegraph your moves to your enemy… you lull them into complacency before you strike…

So… really coal industry… you’ll be fine…. don’t mind the man behind the curtain… these are not the droids you are looking for…

And secondly, people do not understand the numbers behind the energy game. If you convert all the energy we use for transportation in gasoline, and convert it to Kilowatt hours, you will see we use approx. 1.4 TIMES the amount of energy every day for transportation, as we do electricity generated in America.

So, for an electric car industry, we’d have in more than DOUBLE the capacity of the grid… and that energy has to come from somewhere…

But coal is evil… Nuke is evil… Windmills only work when the wind blows… can’t build dams for hydro… Solar is only efficient during the day, and in the Southern parts of the country…

But don’t worry, our socialists will keep us warm by rubbing Hope and Change together…

Romeo13 on January 16, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Ahh the lefties will have a such a devastating awakening when they come to realize that their pick is just another politician. Like children at Christmas time when they find out that Mom & Dad are Santa.

Wood Dragon on January 16, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Jaibones on January 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Our local radio host, mentioned by MadCon above, was dicussing these brilliant new laws a couple of days ago.

I like her show more than any other except Rush. She gets some great guest, too. Robert Spencer yesterday, Sen. James Inhofe last week and guys from Heritage and MRC on a regular basis.

BadgerHawk on January 16, 2009 at 11:40 AM

petefrt on January 16, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Wind farms do not even supply much energy…and what happens when there is no wind? It is pork and nothing more. I received a letter from Gamesa and marked it return to sender. ha

Since you are in Pa, have you ever seen the website http://www.dotpenn.com? Hilarious!

becki51758 on January 16, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Wait till the coal companies submit a report that shows the automobile industry generates more Al Gore gasses than users of coal. Then the EPA will be forced to back off CO2 as a health hazard, or put the kabosh on Detroit. After bailing out the auto industry, can any elected official afford to “bankrupt” the auto industry along with coal?

BobMbx on January 16, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I swear if I didn’t know better, I would think that it’s all a bunch of lies. and double talk.

They are against it before they are for it, not wait, they are for it before they are against it. no wait…… darn i’m confused

Mercy4Me on January 16, 2009 at 11:41 AM

becki51758 on January 16, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Good site to know about. Thanks.

petefrt on January 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM

A perfect place for a wind farm would be the US Capitol.

What with the windy, gaseous Democrats we should be able to power several large cities.

The White House alone should be able to fuel the planet, starting Jan 20.

NoDonkey on January 16, 2009 at 11:58 AM

petefrt on January 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM

God knows we need a few laughs trying to get thru the next 4 years.

becki51758 on January 16, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Global warming my frozen ass.
MadisonConservative on January 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM

That would make a great t-shirt, Mad. LOL

kingsjester on January 16, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Don’t mean to rub this in, but it was in the high 80′s this week! So now coal is cool? We will see. The One says so many twisted lies it is hard to tell.

sheebe on January 16, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Obama may be playing for a second term, do all the liberal stuff then.

Obama started running for 2012 on November 5th. The only thing he’s ever done is run for office. He has no other accomplishments.

crazy_legs on January 16, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Who-hoo! El Rushbo was here!!

Darksean on January 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM

When it does happen, it will be real ugly.

They’ll give him a year. They’ll start grumbling at around the 100 day mark, but they’ll give him a full year benefit of the doubt.

Get your popcorn.

crazy_legs on January 16, 2009 at 12:53 PM

The Senate just recently passed legislation designating that multi-millions of acres are national wilderness areas, off-limits to drilling, mining, or timbering. The bill is expected to pass post haste in the House.

Obama can talk all he wants, for rhetoric is cheap.

He will point to Congress’s legislation and allow the EPA, a non-elected agency, to implement all of the “green” policy that the Dems want.

The EPA has way too much power and influence. Its rulings are not subject to the citizens’ will.

onlineanalyst on January 16, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Hey,

I heard the NYT is going to start using red ink when quoting “The One”.

BobMbx on January 16, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Next Christmas, someone should send Obama a stocking with coal inside, with a note saying that if he was a good boy, he should BURN it!

This is a classic example of when Idealist meets Reality, and Reality bites him in the butt. Sure, it sounded great, not to mention “clean and articulate” on the campaign trail to all the greenie enviro-whackos that “He Who Stopped the Seas from Rising” could replace those dirty, EEEEVIL coal plants with a zillion windmills. Until he gets to the White House and finds out we get half our electricity from coal, and the United States is the Saudi Arabia of coal–we’ve got enough to last 400 years! Trying to replace that with windmills brings to mind Don Quixote, and maybe, just maybe, Obama does’t want to be Preident when the lights went out in Georgia and the 57 other states as well.

Still, talk is cheap, and reality bites. Obama has made a career out of talking, telling everyone what they want to hear, and little else. What will he actually DO when faced with a decision between pi$$ing off the clueless, radical left and pi$$ing off the clear-thinking, pragmatic center?

Good question. I really don’t know…yet.

Obama: Hmmm…forgive me while I eat my waffle!

Steve Z on January 16, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I heard the NYT is going to start using red ink when quoting “The One”.

BobMbx on January 16, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I got that. You’re a pretty clever guy.

cjs1943 on January 16, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Osama Obama = King Canute

onlineanalyst on January 16, 2009 at 1:13 PM

What do you expect? Obama’s first act in running for president was to break a promise — the one to Illinois voters that he would serve out his full term as senator. You can’t believe anything he says, only what he does, and he’s hardly done anything. He’s the Null President.

Socratease on January 16, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Obama is a frigging IDIOT..
But whats worse is..

BIDEN is even more so a complete FOOL

jcila on January 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM

But Biden is too stupid to be elected following Obama being run out of town, which ain’t happening anyway.

BTW, The Messiah saved all those people on that plane crash. He walked across the Hudson and saved them…all of them. It’s true. i saw it on CBS.

JP1986UM on January 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Good job Ed, I linked over here from Rush Limbaugh’s daily email!

Zorro on January 16, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Good news! We may be getting global warming in DC. One weather report suggests that it may get down to 5 F by tomorrow morning. I don’t recall it getting that low for over a decade. Unfortunately, it is projected to only get down to 24 F Tuesday morning. Even that would discomfort the crowd (2M?) on the mall. I’m hoping for single digits. It would be so nice to warm up the crowd of global warming slugs.

burt on January 16, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Once Congress enacts carbon taxes why sure they will welcome coal use. Higher taxs revenue for them to buy votes with trumps anything else.

KW64 on January 16, 2009 at 7:22 PM