Is Obama a real post-partisan?

posted at 11:00 am on January 14, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama made a lot of noise about post-partisanship during the presidential campaign, but few of us thought it meant more than just campaign noise and centrist credibility-building.  However, last night’s confab at George Will’s house with David Brooks and Bill Kristol just before Obama’s inauguration might indicate that, as George Bush attempted, Obama might try to calm the tone in Washington:

This could ruin their reputation: President-elect Barack Obama Tuesday evening attending a dinner party at the home of conservative columnist George Will, attended by fellow conservatives William Kristol and David Brooks.

The press pool following the president-elect reported that he left his temporary home at Washington’s Hay-Adams hotel Tuesday evening and arrived a short time later at Will’s home in the Maryland suburbs. A press pool photographer shot a photo of Kristol, an editor of the Weekly Standard, and Brooks, a columnist at the New York Times.

I like David Brooks, and he’s about as conservative as anyone with a regular column in the New York Times could be, but I’d classify him as center-right at best.  George Will and Bill Kristol are certainly conservative, but Will doesn’t dig into the partisan warfare, preferring to remain on policy more than politics.  Kristol, though, is a man for the trenches, a stalwart on both policy and politics.

Kristol’s presence impresses me the most.  Had Obama just wanted a conservative “beard”, he could have stuck with Brooks and invited Doug Kmiec.  The entire meeting is somewhat of a surprise, but Kristol’s presence indicates that Obama wanted it to be taken seriously.

Will it change Obama’s direction?  Of course not.  Obama will do what Obama wants to do.  I’d guess that he’s hoping at best to take some of the nastiness out of the punditry to come over the next few months.  It’s not as easy to rip your friends as it is your opponents, and Obama wants a base of goodwill for his first 100 days to give him some breathing space.  It makes some sense, but knowing Kristol as I do (slightly personally, but I’ve read him for years), I don’t think it will work if Obama runs to the left on economics and foreign policy — nor should it.

Allahpundit asked a good question last night in his post on the subject: Whither the blogosphere in a post-partisan age? Post-partisan puts too much into it.  The partisan divide will continue to exist because people have vastly different ideas about the role of government in a free society — and a free society should welcome that debate.  Taking the nastiness out of the policy debate will only improve the process, as it will clarify the actual policy choices and the people who support what, without the distorting factor of party affiliation getting in the way — which to some extent it has with the bailouts and on immigration, to name two examples.

The blogosphere will fare quite nicely under those conditions, assuming they ever exist.  One dinner does not Xanadu make, after all, and not all of the arrows have come from conservatives — which I suspect Obama will discover when some of his putative allies on the Left begin commenting on this meeting.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

crazy_legs on January 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM

“If”? I think you mean “when”.

JohnJ on January 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM

curriculum to teach Americans what conservatism really IS
Sapwolf

I have gotten that for three hours a day, five days a week for the past twenty years.

SKYFOX on January 14, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM

I agree with your assesment of Comrade Barry and thank you for your family’s service. However, I think you are giving Affirmative Action Barry way too much credit here. I agree his intentions for America are to weaken the US militarily and to socialize our economy by creating a permanent minority ruled state. He will try – but he will fail. He will get nothing done and it will be painfully apparant to all within two years that the electorate has made a huge mistake.

Like Jimmah Carter Brainless Barry will not know how or where to use his power as a CIC. As president he will be lucky if he can fix a parking ticket.

DeweyWins on January 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM

curriculum to teach Americans what conservatism really IS
Sapwolf

SKYFOX on January 14, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Yes, I like him too, but we need something that is more structured and can win over people that he can’t win on his own.

We need to win over minds in every avenue.

Sapwolf on January 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM

DeweyWins on January 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM

That statement standing alone should scare the bat-crap out of everyone.

thomasaur on January 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Sapwolf on January 14, 2009 at 12:42 PM

crazy_legs on January 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I do not think I have ODS either. What I do have is a uneasy feeling that this once great Nation will not be the same as our Founders or even our Fathers intended or could have ever believed. The radicals have the keys to the city and they have weak opponents like MadisonConservative who would rather play nice then oppose.

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

You call me weak, I call you a fanatic. Keep it going, Internet Comment Warrior. You keep fight the “war”.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Ed has been my favorite blogger for around 4 years now, and I agree with him 99% of the time (unlike the other writer here).

That said, this whole thread is ridiculous.

The Dean on January 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM

DeweyWins on January 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Please let me correct something. If I hoisted my service or that of my Son as some kind of boast, I’m sorry. I never have used his service to “prove” my Conservatisiam, nor my own service. We both chose to volunteer. We are not heros. We are one of millions of proud Americans, men, women, black, white, hispanic, asian, democrat and republican that have and continue to serve. I never intended for that to be part of my point or argument. My service nor the lack of someone elses has no bearing, zero, on thier right to an opinion or viewpoint. My service does not make me right.

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Obama wins.

Reading (some of) the comment war it is obvious that Obama wins just by sitting down with ‘conservatives’ at an off the record meeting.

Skandia Recluse on January 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Shame on us for not being grateful that Obama took the time to meet with our own elites. They probably all had a good laugh at the foolishness of the Right.

katiejane on January 14, 2009 at 1:02 PM

So, it would have been better for Obama to not have met with those columnists becasue… why?

They’re not as conservative as some of you are? They don’t get as angry as Mark Levin? Would you be happier if he instead met with Maureen Dowd, EJ Dionne, Ed Shultz and Markos Moul… the Daily Kos guy?

Come on. We’ve got four years of things to be grumpy at Obama about, but not this. If the President wants to hear from people who are intelligent conservatives, don’t get all whiny because they’re not conservative enough.

YYZ on January 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM

DeweyWins on January 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM

This is an extremely over-generous estimate. People forget that Jimmy Carter served as a military officer.

Barack Obama CLAIMS that he had a great-grandfather, once-removed, who was in the US military. And as far as I know, that claim’s ever really been checked out.

I wonder how many liberals remember that, just four short years ago, they were screaming about how no one could possibly serve as Commander-In-Chief unless he had personally gutted an enemy soldier. I told a whole bunch of them at the time, “Hey, remember you said this four years from now.” But I’m pretty sure it didn’t stick.

logis on January 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Will from now on be named: FauxConservativeAtBest

More likely a KOS plant or serves Kool-Aid as a Community Organizer in a Liberal urban center.

With folks like him on “our” side, Liberals have no worries.

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I’ve been here a lot longer than you, Internet Warrior. Try again.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM
MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM

You both have tiny penises.

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM

You both have tiny penises.

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Linux still sucks.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 1:16 PM

I’ve been here a lot longer than you, Internet Warrior. Try again.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I love the tag, can I use the name, love it. Thanks.

Your length of time at HA does not prove that your a Conservative or have the best intrest of protecting the Constitution and Bill of Rights in mind or heart.

My point IS valid. With faux Conservatives like you talking down to hard core Conservatives you weaken our offensive against those that intend harm to our Nation. It’s your right to do so, but call it what it is… FauxConservative.

Mark Garnett = Internet Warrior (wow, that rocks)

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM
MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM
You both have tiny penises.

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM

ROFL, true, but don’t spread it around… geez…

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Linux still sucks.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Only if you install the deepthroat module…and even then, calculating the diameter of the virtual adapter plugin to fit your teeny winkie would cause a float underflow.

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Barry can put on a good show.
Smoke and mirrors people, just smoke and mirrors.

christene on January 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Says the guy with the null stashed in his slacks.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Says the guy with the null stashed in his slacks.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Ahhh….penis humor….never too old for it ;)

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM

…and vastly different ideas about whether or not society should be free…

Count to 10 on January 14, 2009 at 1:32 PM

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 1:26 PM

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM

…and vastly different ideas about whether or not society should be free…

Count to 10 on January 14, 2009 at 1:32 PM

and differences in what actualy 9″ looks like…

rofl

(Hijacked Thread)

Internet Warrior

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 1:35 PM

If you need to measure it, it’s too small.

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Don’t let others get you down, dude.

Everyone has their own style of expression, obviously including you but for some reason a few of them feel compelled to attack that style. Usually they are the same people who haughtily point out other’s spelling mistakes, as if they never make any of their own.

And thanks for your service and that of your son.

-Former Boatswains Mate, USN-
USS Flint
USS Vincennes

Bishop on January 14, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Now I have to like you and MG even more.

p.s. all of you, keep your phalli in your pants. You can’t prove the size of either here. No denigrating and no bragging. It’s all meaningless without pics, and please don’t go there.

On topic, might have been mentioned already – those there, that we know so far:

- Will, of course, the host, or the parasite medium
- Kudlow
- Kristol
- Brooks
- Gigot
- Noonan
- Krauthammer

What’s next? Barnes, Lou Dobbs, Michelle Malkin, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham, Drudge, Levin?

Get out of that enticing crotch, those of you already in it. You are being trapped and will never be the same again.

Entelechy on January 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Entelechy on January 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Dobbs is an NAU conspiracy theorist populist, not a conservative. He’s a more tolerable version of O’Reilly.

Drudge also is less a conservative thinker than he is a sensationalist hound.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I was God’s inspiration for this

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I was God’s inspiration for this

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 1:52 PM

You mean that dried out blade of grass in the corner there?

I believe you.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I was God’s inspiration for this

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 1:52 PM

So you’re the blueprint for ‘Big Pr!@Ks”.
(couldn’t resist an opening like that : – ) )

thomasaur on January 14, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Bill Kristol is a real conservative. So is Will, at least on his better days.

Ed Morrissey on January 14, 2009 at 11:11 AM

All due respect, Ed, but if you have to qualify someone’s conservatism with “at least on his better days”, I would have to question how conservative they truly are.

Voice of Reason on January 14, 2009 at 1:58 PM

ROFL!~

We fight, we argue, we insult each others apendages…

I piss off MadisonFauxConservative…

Another great day at HA for the Internet Warrior…

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 2:01 PM

and i haven’t used a BOLD all day on any thread…

DOH!

Poop!

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Dude, if you’ve willingly started using that title, all I can say is…

*snicker* You win.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 2:03 PM

You mean that dried out blade of grass in the corner there?

I believe you.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Well spotted! You have good eyes! Must be all the exercise they get searching for your todger between the pubes.

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Pepsi on computer monitor, ROFLMAO

Knucklehead on January 14, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Must be all the exercise they get searching for your todger between the pubes.

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM

I notice it never takes you that long to find it.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM

I notice it never takes you that long to find it.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM

a) Why are you watching me admiring my tallywhacker?
b) WHY ARE YOU WATCHING ME ADMIRING MY TALLYWHACKER?

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 2:19 PM

YYZ on January 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I fail to see what Obama meeting with pundits who were already quick to fault Republicans accomplishes. Apparently you’re jumping to the unsupported conclusion that meeting with conservative pundits who have been more than willing to diss other conservatives means he’s interested in what conservatives think/want.

He has no need to meet with the Dowd/Daily Kos crowd – they are already in the tank for him. IMO Obama is more likely trolling for more sycophants.

katiejane on January 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 2:19 PM

I was referring to mine. Now that the joke is dead, I suggest we move on.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I was referring to mine. Now that the joke is dead, I suggest we move on.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Yes….I need to speak to someone about getting a restraining order.

FOR MY PANTS!

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Libs need not worry – Obama has met with THEIR pundits:

The group included the Washington Post’s E.J. Dionne and Eugene Robinson, the Wall Street Journal’s Gerry Seib, National Journal’s Ron Brownstein, the New York Times Frank Rich and Maureen Dowd, The Atlantic’s Andrew Sullivan, and MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, among others.

katiejane on January 14, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Drudge has some inside scoop:

KUDLOW OFFERS DETAILS OF OBAMA DINNER

Rae on January 14, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Do I hope Obama is a weak President who p*sses our country away? No, I actually hope he’s successful in keeping us safe from terrorism and helps rescue the economy (based on fair-market principals, of course).

crazy_legs on January 14, 2009 at 12:34 PMD

And that is why the conservative movement is dead. From the day Bush was declared winner in FL, the left’s only mission was his destruction. And it worked very well with 2006 and 2008 (and 2010/2012 most likely) seeing unimaginable success for the far left.

What do conservatives do? Wish Obama well and hope he succeeds. With that kind of attitude you better start practicing the terms “Democrat Filibuster Proof Majority” and “Democrat President-Elect”, they will be with us for decades to come.

angryed on January 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Drudge has some inside scoop:

KUDLOW OFFERS DETAILS OF OBAMA DINNER

Rae on January 14, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Let the sucking up begin continue!

Fixed it for myself…

The Internet Warrior Mark Garnett (geez, that’s too long to type each time)

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM

angryed on January 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM

+1000000000000000000000

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 3:01 PM

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I should have been more specific – meant to say that he’ll try next to get other big categories into his “charms”. Watch out for those charms – they can be incredibly alluring and deceiving.

FOR MY PANTS!

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 2:28 PM

This, plus link, Maddison’s observations aside – anonymour internet braggart! If I wouldn’t already know this not to be true, I’d believe you to be French.

angryed, spot on!!! They’re all vivies, in O’s crotch now. Go to the Gulch, or be entertained, or cry. Just don’t work so hard any more. Our country is a tragi-comedy.

I was right last night calling it a ménage à quatre. Only today I learned that it was at least a ménage à huit. The number will probalby go up.

Entelechy on January 14, 2009 at 3:04 PM

He said in his book the best way to get around some people is to smile a lot and don’t make any fast move lest they become frightened of the big bad Barry. I thought Rush said today that Krauthammer was there also.

Did anyone’s leg tingle?

UnEasyRider on January 14, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Well, LimeyGeek, I invented a word for you, inadvertantly – anonymour – was meant to be anonymous – however, could be from “amour”. Just as good for you :)

Clarification

ménage à huit, or ménage à however many = clusterfark. Just don’t ever forget who does the farking. Like they say “some vaseline doesn’t contain sand”. Keep in mind that your wallets may contain rocks, before you get carried away. You know who you are.

Entelechy on January 14, 2009 at 3:09 PM

This, plus link, Maddison’s observations aside – anonymour internet braggart!

Steady on….jus’ goofin’ around :)

If I wouldn’t already know this not to be true, I’d believe you to be French.

Now them’s fightin’ words….PISTOLS AT DAWN!

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 3:09 PM

CNBC’s Larry Kudlow: THIS WAS AN OFF-THE-RECORD DINNER AND I’M GOING TO KEEP IT OFF THE RECORD IN TERMS OF DEEP CONTENT, BUT PEGGY NOONAN WAS THERE,

Kudlow, Noonan, Kristol, Gigot? So where are these conservatives you all keep talking about?

angryed on January 14, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Limey, I was also just goofin’ on ya. At ease, now :)

Entelechy on January 14, 2009 at 3:11 PM

angryed, see this

Entelechy on January 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Plus, I linked the Drudge piece, later in the thread.

Entelechy on January 14, 2009 at 3:13 PM

That’s OK…I deciphered your subliminal massage.

ménage à huit, or ménage à however many = clusterfark.

I wouldn’t know where to put what, and you know that someone will be the surprised recipient of a ‘shocker’ at some point. It’ll all end in tears.

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 3:13 PM

PISTOLS AT DAWN!

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 3:09 PM

You don’t want to end up dead, at dawn! I was trained by communist Soldiers.

Entelechy on January 14, 2009 at 3:14 PM

That’s OK…I deciphered your subliminal massage.

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 3:13 PM

And they declared Freud dead – just be glad I didn’t call you a paramour. Sorry if we’ve offended anyone…nah, no sorrows at all. If I wouldn’t laugh I’d have to cry.

Entelechy on January 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM

You don’t want to end up dead, at dawn! I was trained by communist Soldiers.

Entelechy on January 14, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I was trained by ninjas.

In a volcano.

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 3:18 PM

angryed on January 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Wow.

Country be damned, the citizens be damned, we’ve got a movement to save? Just work to bring down that bastard who hasn’t even been sworn in yet, before he can even make any decisions?

Enjoy.

MadisonConservative on January 14, 2009 at 3:25 PM

In the following news alert (that I received by E-mail from Newsmax.com), conservative economist and talk-show host Larry Kudlow is now saying that Obama is backing off some of his more socialist proposals, and leaning toward including honest tax cuts in his stimulus package.

Obviously, Obama could not push a supply-side-only stimulus package through a heavily Democrat Congress eager for socialist-New Deal giveaways, and the recent bridge collapse in Minnesota shows that some attention to “infrastructure” is needed. But a two-pronged supply-side plus Keynesian stimulus will probably work better than a strict New Deal approach (which prolonged the Depression in FDR’s time), and Democrats in Congress would have a hard time explaining to the voters why they repealed in 2010 tax breaks they passed in 2009.

Is Obama really post-partisan? That remains to be seen, since he isn’t president yet, and talk is cheap, until he has to persuade a Democrat Congress eager for bear to pass a stimulus package including TAX CUTS. But just maybe Obama might have asked Sweet Caroline what her daddy did to stimulate the economy when Obambi was a toddler in Hawaii, and the toddler might have taken her advice.

Reagan, he’s not, but could Obama be the next JFK, not the next FDR or Carter?

Kudlow: Obama Takes Page from Reagan
Conservative economist Larry Kudlow says President-elect Barack Obama’s huge stimulus plan is starting to look less typically Democrat and more like what Republican icon Ronald Reagan enacted as president in the 1980s.

“Ronald Reagan said government was the problem, not the solution. Dealing with a bad recession like this one, the Gipper lowered taxes and domestic spending,” Kudlow writes in his column.

“Obama on the other hand has offered an $800 billion package, with plenty of infrastructure spending that alleges to create three million jobs.”

Yet it’s interesting, he notes, to see just how much the Obama plan has changed since Election Day.

“The size has been roughly constant. But the mix of tax cuts and spending increases is now totally different,” Kudlow says.

Rather than spending $100 billion on tax credits, Obama now is offering $300 billion worth of tax cuts. This includes a tax cut for business, more expensing for small-business investment, and a restoration of the five-year tax-loss carry-back, which will help banks and home developers.

“This might even result in tax refunds for businesses, and might also allow banks to rid themselves of toxic assets, since the losses will now be spread over many years,” said Kudlow.

Kudlow says Obama’s economic have been bragging that the tax-cut package is very pro-growth. “And you know what? I acknowledge it. People like Larry Summers, Austan Goolsbee, Christy Romer, and Tim Geithner are no left-wing, big-government whackos,” Kudlow writes.

The conservative drift of the stimulus plan is not being embraced by some economists, however.

Noted liberal economist Paul Krugman wants a much larger spending component for the stimulus proposal, he writes in his New York Times blog.

“This plan looks too weak,” Krugman warns.

© 2009 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Steve Z on January 14, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Noted liberal economist Paul Krugman

Comedy gold. How he even has a job is beyond me. Such a pillock.

LimeyGeek on January 14, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Post-partisan? Or did you mean post-menopausal; because he can play the game but can’t produce the goods?

Done That on January 14, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Done That on January 14, 2009 at 4:08 PM

It’s really postpartum.

Nov. 04 the baby was born.

Now, it’s time to nurse it.

Entelechy on January 14, 2009 at 4:34 PM

angryed on January 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Wow. Just… wow.

You know, I thought that to be a conservative meant putting the country first before any ideological squabbling, that America was far bigger and more important than left vs right. I thought that it was the Left that put ideology before everything else. If I’m wrong, and we’ve been reduced to two sides trying to tear each other down and render each other useless, then we truly are done as a country and an ideal.

Look, the bottom line is that taking the Left’s tactics isn’t going to work for us. The Left had the willing compliance of the MSM through the whole Bush admin. We’re not going to have that. And frankly, I don’t want to stoop to their gutter level, because we’re going to come out of it smelling like sh*t. Or do you want to start rumors – like a reversal of the Trig Palin crap. Because if that’s the kind of fight we’re going to get into with Obama, please leave me out of it. I’d much rather wage a battle of ideas.

crazy_legs on January 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

DC insiders meeting with the filthy Chicago bastard. Kristol, Will, and Krautenhammer were all among those that foisted John McCain on the party as being the “new direction” which essentially translates in alienating the GOP base of evangelical and social conservatives. You may be impressed but I see it as a non-event. These are all liberal RINOS who would have supported most of Obama’s social agenda and anti-Iraq agenda without question.

highhopes on January 14, 2009 at 5:55 PM

One other question Ed,

Who ever said that this crowd of DC insiders signaled post-partisanship? Liberals like Will or Brooks don’t speak for the GOP- at best they can be called pundits.

highhopes on January 14, 2009 at 6:04 PM

It appears that the thrill up the leg is contagious…. great, juuuuusssst great. Obama makes slick Willie look like two sided tape.

I will not be charmed, I will not be charmed, I will not be charmed (tapping heels togather).

Hog Wild on January 14, 2009 at 8:09 PM

angryed on January 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM

It only looks dead.

ddrintn on January 14, 2009 at 9:30 PM

If only Obama really were like Lincoln: “[T]he candid citizen must confess that if the policy of the Government upon vital questions affecting the whole people is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court, the instant they are made in ordinary litigation between parties in personal actions, the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent resigned their Government into the hands of that eminent tribunal.” First Inaugural Address

And check this out.

JohnJ on January 14, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Is Obama a real post-partisan?

No. But he is very clearly a post-intellectual. No smarts needed, these days …

progressoverpeace on January 15, 2009 at 12:26 AM

I stand corrected. George Will is a conservative.

JohnJ on January 15, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Don’t kid yourself, this guy is slicker than a greased eel . . . he’d charm and co-op the devil if he thought it would further his Marxist agendas. Relax at your own peril.

rplat on January 14, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Exactly right.

Dasher on January 15, 2009 at 9:20 AM

crazy_legs on January 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

You made my point for me. We (conservatives) play nice and put country first. We lose over and over.

They (liberals) scratch, claw, bite, kick, spit. They win over and over.

If you want to be an honorable loser, so be it. I would rather be a no-so-honorable winner myself. But from what I am reading these days, it looks like conservatives, at least in the media would rather be liked by O-bambi than put up a fight.

In 10 years when your income tax rate is 70%, the 20 million illegals are new citizen and you have to wait 3 months to see a doctor thanks to our “FREE” health care system, you can be secure in knowing you didn’t stoop to their level and make yourself feel better.

angryed on January 15, 2009 at 10:02 AM

angryed on January 15, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Are we Brothers?

If, and I said IF your a Woman, I think I love you!

You tell em’, give em’ hell!

+ 3.7 million (same price going for the virgin)

Internet Warrior

Mark Garnett on January 15, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Hallowed are the Ori, but…

Hollow are the Obami!

Not my best work, but passable.

BoomJunkie on January 15, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Actually, when it’s a true battle of ideas we win, over and over (see Reagan, Gingritch, Bush, the 2002 midterms). It’s when we abandon those ideas that we lose.

They (liberals) scratch, claw, bite, kick, spit. They win over and over.

Because they have the willing compliance of the MSM to run interfereance and distract from the fact that they have nothing of substance. It is going to be real interesting in 5 days when they can no longer be simply against Bush. They scratch, claw, bite, kick and spit because they have no ideas. Now they have to govern. They can’t hide behind “Them eeeeeeevil re-thug-licans” anymore. They own the whole thing and they will have to defend their decisions.

If you want to be an honorable loser, so be it.

When did I say I wanted to lose? All I said was that I don’t want a disasterous Presidency foisted on this country for the sake of political gain.

Do I think Obama is going to be a successful President? No, absolutely not. I think he’ll either be a one-termer, or a very ineffectual two-termer (see Clinton, Bill). Given his Cabinet appointments, he doesn’t represent “Teh Change” that he ran on, but the promised third Clinton term we were going to get with Hillary.

But he’s the President, and that means that he has to run the country. Tearing him down like the Left did to Bush won’t do the country, or conservatism any good. The battle of ideas, the battle that we always win, is how we’ll regain the White House and Congress.

I would rather be a no-so-honorable winner myself.

A safe, secure, and prosperous America is more important to me than scoring political points. But if that’s what you want, then good luck with that. Just don’t come celebrating to me when there’s a crater where Manhattan used to be.

crazy_legs on January 15, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Is Obama a real post partisan?

roux on January 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM

They (liberals) scratch, claw, bite, kick, spit. They win over and over.

One more thing that I’m going to add, and then I’m done with this thread. Liberals, haven’t won “over and over.” They have only one the last two elections, and hadn’t won a Presidential election with a majority since Carter until Obama. That’s not a very good track record for the “scratching, clawing, biting, kicking, and spitting” crew.

crazy_legs on January 15, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Interesting article in the Atlantic.

Seems that post-partisan means post-white (liberal) and post-white is supposed to be a good thing. Post partisan seems to mean only “post-white” liberals can discuss race. Seems this is just another PC trap. Will, Brooks, Kristol, Krauthammer, et al are seeking to be labeled good post-white, conservatives.

Seems the author thinks that all whites are “white.”

OTOH, I would direct you to the infamous Stuff that White People Like.

Is the love of golf or coffee more definitively white?

Angry Dumbo on January 15, 2009 at 5:29 PM