Is Obama meeting with Rush Limbaugh tonight? Update: Nope

posted at 7:35 pm on January 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

Sounds nutty, I know, but Ambinder breaks news that The One’s dining with “conservative opinion leaders” in Maryland, evidently at George Will’s house. Among the attendees: Bill Kristol, David Brooks, and … anyone else?

Coincidentally, I got an e-mail from a reader shortly after noon noting that Limbaugh had a surprise guest host today who spent the beginning of the show dropping hints that Rush had been called away to urgent business in D.C. and that it might have to do with something he said yesterday about giving Obama advice. I ignored it — but now they’re dropping hints on the EIB homepage, too.

Is this happening? The One’s charm offensive is actually going to beat a path to the golden microphone? What’s next, drinks with Coulter? Exit question: Whither the blogosphere in a post-partisan age?

Update: No Rush at dinner, a source tells HuffPo.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

RUSH was in the ceremony as I said.

jencab on January 13, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Thanks for the update. I wouldn’t have cared if it had gone the other way, so long as Rush didn’t fold, (and I don’t think he would have), but I’m glad it didn’t go that way.

FloatingRock on January 13, 2009 at 11:12 PM

He’s got more class than to fake out his loyal listeners this way.

If he’s not meeting with BHO, then he’s faking us out. We’ll see.

jgapinoy on January 13, 2009 at 8:23 PM

No Rush at dinner, a source tells HuffPo.

Nuff said.

jgapinoy on January 13, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Okay, since Rush wasn’t at the dinnr party, can we quit saying that Obama had dinner with conservatives?

myrenovations on January 13, 2009 at 11:18 PM

jgapinoy on January 13, 2009 at 11:16 PM

You are BRIIIIIILIANT!

katy on January 13, 2009 at 11:37 PM

myrenovations on January 13, 2009 at 11:18 PM

FloatingRock on January 13, 2009 at 11:44 PM

I gotta say it: picking badass Marine General Jones for NSA followed by this meeting with conservatives has given me some respect for Obama.
I remain in opposition to him, obviously, and I can never forget his support for infanticide in Ohio, but on a national security front I feel a lot better.

joewm315 on January 13, 2009 at 11:53 PM

myrenovations on January 13, 2009 at 11:18 PM

My thoughts exactly. I hope he doesn’t really think this little overture is going to “charm” the real conservatives among us.

NoLeftTurn on January 13, 2009 at 11:55 PM

joewm315 on January 13, 2009 at 11:53 PM

You’ll find out later in the thread that he didn’t meet with conservatives, only comservamatives.

FloatingRock on January 13, 2009 at 11:56 PM

FloatingRock on January 13, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Ah, should have read the comments and not just the article. Thanks…

joewm315 on January 13, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Ah, should have read the comments and not just the article. Thanks…

joewm315 on January 13, 2009 at 11:58 PM

No sweat; I was just looking for an excuse to say “comservamative”.

FloatingRock on January 14, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Nothing indicates that Rush was at that dinner. I don’t usually quote Huffington but they have no motive to say Rush wasn’t there. It would be a coup for them to portray Rush as a Benedict Arnold. Arianna couldn’t very well fabricate that Rush was there because quite simply there were probably too many people at Obama’s gathering who would swear on a stack of Bibles that Rush wasn’t there. Having said that I am heartened that Rush wasn’t there.

technopeasant on January 14, 2009 at 12:07 AM

technopeasant on January 14, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Rush Attends Medal of Freedom Ceremony at the White House

FloatingRock on January 14, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Chips and fake cheese is… I mean is that really even an insult?

Esthier on January 13, 2009 at 10:26 PM

For MC, it it the ultimate sell-out of his soul.

Oh, and “hi,” TD! Miss me much? Obviously a hell of a lot mroe than that moron, Madison.

wccawa on January 14, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Sorry I missed the thread. I would have enjoyed laughing at AP for the very suggestion that Rush would be playing patticake with a bunch of nitwit RINOs and the Liar-in-Chief hisownself.

Jaibones on January 14, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Really looking forward to reading the latest from Will and Krauthammer.
I’m sure plenty of kool-aid was served and consumed.
BHO is laughing his butt off right now – Gaaa-rone-teed

JeffinOrlando on January 14, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Sheesh, what a bunch of tools we have in the dextrosphere. The photos of Rush at the Medal Of Freedom ceremony were up on EIB hours ago, and I’m still seeing “wild speculation” on sites, including this one, about Obastard having a cozy confab with Rush. Including Instapundit. I thought Glenn was smarter than this. His second “update” link is flat out wrong and full of leftard comments. Why send anyone down a dead end?

For some reason at least half of our “reliable” conservatives/libertarians have lost their minds and substituted the Barack issue of Tiger Beat for a central nervous system. Brooks, Kristol, even Will… apparently the lure of beltway DC cocktail parties is just too much for these committed “conservatives” to resist. Look for these three spoogebuckets to write carefully nuanced constructive criticisms of The Messiah over the next four to eight years. Or plain bootlicking. I’m expecting the latter.

George Orwell on January 14, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Here’s some kool aid for you guys. The O is a closet conservative. Needed to tell Kristol et al that he’s with us. He flipped from the Left when he saw the results of the Left’s policies on blacks in Chicago. The whole thing has been a huge head fake. He’s coming home, and wants their advice. :) I can dream can’t I?

r keller on January 14, 2009 at 12:59 AM

r keller

I’ll grant you this much: David Brooks is as much of a conservative as St. Barry Hussein O’Guiltwhite.

George Orwell on January 14, 2009 at 1:03 AM

David Brooks, Charles Krauthammer, George Will and William Kristol. It’s stupid to even imagine Rush would be there.

chunderroad on January 14, 2009 at 1:47 AM

There is absolutely no proof that obama is using eriksonian hypnosis techniques. However, after the meeting, George Will has been walking around in a trance like state muttering “O…bam..a…is..my….per…son..al…sav..ior..and…the…sav…ior…of…all…hu…man..it..y….long…live…ob..a…ma..”

bullseye on January 14, 2009 at 2:29 AM

Dinner with conservatives?

I figure probably dined at Wendy’s.

Jim - PRS on January 14, 2009 at 2:54 AM

Dammit, I meant to say, “Peggy Noonan probably dined at Wendy’s.”**

**Memo to self: The Preview Button is your friend.

Jim - PRS on January 14, 2009 at 2:56 AM

Probably just another attempt to set the Right at each other’s throats. Again. If everything goes as planned, these gentlemen will write articles about those pesky social conservatives that just don’t get it and are hurting the nation. What better way to define your opposition than to have them turn on each other? And the people with the columns, after being called everything but a son of God by their peers, will probably be happy to oblige. We are being picked apart and are to stupid to even notice. But by golly, we are right.

Cindy Munford on January 14, 2009 at 6:30 AM

Like a lot of people have already said.Obama DID NOT have dinner with a group of Consev..He had dinner with a few Rinos like Wills, Brooks and Kristol These men are not consev.It would be nice if Hot Air would refer to these people as Mod at best.

thmcbb on January 14, 2009 at 6:39 AM

I think Cindy Munford is right. As I said earlier on this thread this may well be the republican effort to to send the conservatives down a long walk of a short pier. I must say the beltway republicans are getting their ducks in order fast for a quick strike to finally put the conservative beast down. They feel they have to purge religious conservates from the party before the next mid-term elections. It’s not that they mind having social conservatives in the party – they just don’t want them to have a voice.

KickandSwimMom on January 14, 2009 at 7:05 AM

KickandSwimMom

Amen, sister…testify!

SKYFOX on January 14, 2009 at 7:45 AM

It’s not that they mind having social conservatives in the party – they just don’t want them to have a voice. KickandSwimMom
Amen, sister…testify! SKYFOX on January 14, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Nobody cares if you’re a Christian… until you start acting like one.

Mojave Mark on January 14, 2009 at 7:53 AM

Dude, you said conservative’s and then listed a bunch of Democrat lib’s.

Why the hell would Rush be with that crowd?

He would certainly get fleas with dogs like that.

Mercy4Me on January 14, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Too bad Brit Hume isn’t heading up the “ALL STARS” anymore. It would have been great to watch him roll his eyes at Bill Kristol jumping on the Obama wagon. Can’t wait to read the flowery, “Noonish” editorial recounting all the impressive details….

anniekc on January 14, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Another one of you great calls Allah, not.

KBird on January 14, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Rush called out Kristol several months ago, as being one of the so called “Conservatives” who wants to modernize (Liberalize) the movement. It comes at no surprise that Obama has targeted the likes of Bill Kristol.

Keemo on January 14, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Rush Attends Medal of Freedom Ceremony at the White House

FloatingRock on January 14, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Next week’s sequel: President Obama offers Medals of Freedom to Hugo Chavez, Fidel Castro, and Machmoud Achmedinejad, with the ceremony attented by Senator Al Franken, while Rush Limbaugh remains behind his microphone.

Steve Z on January 14, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Does it suprise anyone that Obama would be pandering to the conservative-lite crowd like David Brooks, Charles Krauthammer, George Will and William Kristol?

Let’s face it – Obama is an excellent POLITICIAN. He is good at selling empty promises and vague platitudes that enable those who think they’re better than the knuckle-dragging crowd to “explain” how getting shafted is good for us. Expect to see articles and comments extolling Obama’s willingness to hear us (of course as long as we forget anything he doesn’t really support)

katiejane on January 14, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Rove…………. you magnificent bastard!!!

Seven Percent Solution on January 13, 2009 at 7:45 PM

What are you suggesting that they elected an undercover Republican?

Well, if Clinton was the first Black President…

El Coqui on January 14, 2009 at 9:40 AM

His charm offensive is nothing more than an attempt to lull us all into complacency as he remakes this country inot a socialist/marxist utopia. Count on it. If all the so-called conservative pundits are on his side, if he has Republicans believing he’s strong on national defense, then what will they do to stop him when he nationalizes more industry and parts of the economy, when he requests a constitutional amendment to allow him to seek a third term, etc.???

uncalheels on January 14, 2009 at 9:43 AM

badass Marine General Jones for NSA

Isn’t he a Saudi shill?

ex-Democrat on January 14, 2009 at 9:43 AM

We need to stop trying to throw economic conservatives out of the party just because they don’t agree with social conservative values. Almost any arguement that is made on a social issue can be made in a secular way that can be seen by non-believers. Even as a social conservative I have a problem telling adults how they should live if they don’t agree with me. I am on the record of saying that this in-fighting and name calling is not helpful.

Cindy Munford on January 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Cindy Munford on January 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Cindy, you’re exactly right. The problem I’ve seen, including on this site, is the infighting. Both Economic and Social Conservatives need to join together to fight the False Conservative Beltway Elitists who are trying to turn the Republican Party into a Moderate Democratic Party. You can see examples of them on this site also.

kingsjester on January 14, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Cindy Munford on January 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM

So is your position that the social conservatives – who just might believe that their positions are valid and worthy, even if you don’t – should just shut up and yield the Party to the Beltway boys who aren’t bothered by those principles? And it’s okay for economic conservatives to dismiss social conservatives as being out of touch with everyone?

Just curious as to why you bother identifying yourself as a social conservative if you don’t actually think those principles are better – it seems like that is the reasoning Democrats use for justifying being pro-abortion. I wouldn’t have one but who am I to force my position on others.

katiejane on January 14, 2009 at 10:42 AM

katiejane on January 14, 2009 at 10:42 AM

No, sorry I wasn’t clear. I am saying that most of the things social conservatives believe in are good for society and can be proven on a secular basis. I am sure you have seen the arguements on this site between the different factions of the same religion, not to mention the non-believers. Let me give an example. It has been proven that abortions have gone down with the advent of new medical breakthroughs showing the child in the womb. Why don’t we use these in television ads urging woment to get early pre-natal care? It will encourage people to follow the message and see the human life at a very early stage. I am just saying that we need to be smarter about our battles and cover more ground.

Cindy Munford on January 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM

There are always a few “weak sisters” in any battle. Obama has isolated a few and will try to neuter them with his charm. Based on some reports I’ve seen, this ploy might be working. For the left, conquering the mind is as important as winning a physical fight.

rplat on January 14, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Cindy Munford on January 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Wow, even as hard core as I am, I can see your point and it’s valid. Great post. But we can NOT waiver in our values and principals, but we can be smarter in the ways we voice them.

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Absolutely not, just wrap it in a prettier bow. The things we believe in are not just good for us they are universal.

Cindy Munford on January 14, 2009 at 11:50 AM

It matters not the accusation. I am simply stateing a fact the Rush is no more than a GOP talking points pundit. Oh how I miss his early days. Power corrupts and all that jazz….

melachiro on January 13, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I remember WAY back when he was in Sacramento, CA if I remember right. He had the caller-abortions. Whole different environment. it was more local and had a real conservative edge.

Sapwolf on January 14, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Rush Limbaugh, a true conservative, met with President Bush yesterday.

The despicable David Brooks and George Will met with Obama. These morons have and never will be real conservatives. Throw in Peggy Noonan, Kathleen Parker, Heather MacDonald and David Frum and you a list of people I consider worthless in conservative discussions.

Norwegian on January 14, 2009 at 12:17 PM

kick ‘em out if you want, but no RINOs = no national wins.

okonkolo on January 14, 2009 at 1:08 PM

kick ‘em out if you want, but no RINOs = no national wins.

okonkolo on January 14, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Oh, OK. I guess Red State Secession is the only option left. Could get ugly like India/Pakistan, what 1949?

Sapwolf on January 14, 2009 at 1:27 PM

okonkolo on January 14, 2009 at 1:08 PM

You are so wrong…

Let me fix it for you…

kick ‘em out if you want, but no RINOs = no national wins.

There ya go…

We haven’t had much luck your way, let’s try it like Rush and Mark Levin say… Get back to Reagan, bold contrasts, big, proud, Conservative policies. Strong Defense, Closed Boarders, HUGE Spending Cuts, Tax Cuts, Marriage Between 1 Man and 1 Woman, No Federal Funds for Abortions, Conservative Supreme Court, Tough on Crime, Welfare to Work, God… Do this then get back to me IF it does not win, and big… Maybe 50 like Reagan… Don;t give me the MSM BS about needing to weed hard core Conservatives and make a big tent, kick the RINOS then teach and preach Conservatisiam, show the contrasts…

Internet Warrior

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Cindy Munford on January 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM

What kind of “adults” are you talking about–abortion-loving “adults” or homosexual “adults?”
And Republicans/Conservatives don’t tell adults how they should live; they mostly stop Liberals trying to legislate how we all should live!

Jenfidel on January 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Jenfidel on January 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM

WINNER!

Mark Garnett on January 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Cheers, Mark!;-)

Jenfidel on January 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Jenfidel on January 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Sorry I didn’t reply right away, I was at work and felt really guilty about the posting I had already done. I want to achieve social conservative goals without annoying the fiscal conservatives. (Yes, they can and have annoyed me but I am not leaving). I posted an idea at 10:55 on abortion, not perfect I understand but it’s a start. There is tons of stupid legislation that unduly interferes with our lives but we are not in a position right now to do anything about it and won’t be until 2010 at the earliest. I am just trying to keep us all together. I am just not that great at explaining the point I am trying to make. Do you think all the different factions of the Left have this problem? They whine and complain but they stand by their folks. Why is that?

Cindy Munford on January 14, 2009 at 7:41 PM

He had lunch with the other clown.

w.

getalife on January 14, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Because 10-25% of them are lying and evil (and these are the leaders and the politicians) and the other 75-90% are either incredibly stupid or too intellectually lazy to pay attention to what they really stand for.
Leftoids who don’t march in lock-step are purged from their ranks: witness the post-9/11 treatment of Joe Lieberman.

Jenfidel on January 14, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Jenfidel on January 14, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I think we should go for results rather than rhetoric. I think it would be great if the RNC ran daily commercials using Bill Bennett’s new book. I think there is sad lack of knowledge of our history. I want to be positive. As I noted earlier even within this site there is a lot of disagreement and I would love to find a way to lessen that. My dad use to have a sign on his wall that said, “When you are up to your ass in alligators it is hard to remember that your task was to drain the swamp.” We are up to ass right now.

Cindy Munford on January 14, 2009 at 8:25 PM

That should be We are up to our asses right now.

Cindy Munford on January 14, 2009 at 8:26 PM