Video: Bush says goodbye

posted at 1:00 pm on January 12, 2009 by Allahpundit

Five and a half minutes of nice-nice with the press corps from this morning’s last hurrah. CQ has the transcript. I omitted the bit where he all but invites Obama to ask him for the second half of the TARP money — which The One duly did, shortly after this ended.

Not omitted: His concession that he “chucked” his free-market principles upon being warned of a looming depression. On that note, Kevin Hassett at Bloomberg looks ahead to the aftermath of the stimulus:

The Federal Reserve could print enough money to accommodate all of that debt, in which case the dollar will collapse and the U.S. will be looking at a South-America-style run on its debt.

Or the U.S. government could get its fiscal act in order with higher taxes. For that to happen, income taxes would approximately have to double.

While advocates of Keynesian-style stimulus are correct that this economy is terrible enough to warrant dramatic action, it is hard to understand how such a fiscal path might help. So what if second-quarter gross domestic product blips up a little bit? What business is going to expand its operations with the mother of all tax hikes peeking over the horizon? If government spending provided such a wonderful boost to the economy, we would be in Nirvana already.

Also not omitted are Bush’s thoughts on how the GOP can expand its appeal. Note his polite ambiguity as to whether “Republicans don’t like immigrants” is a fair statement or not.

Comments

Not Caroline Kennedy, you know.

Entelechy on January 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Illustrious leftie

Entelechy on January 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Hopefully this difficult lesson will temper enthusiasm for the ditz from Alaska, at least among the more rational members of your party.

benny shakar on January 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM

You just went full retard. Never go full retard.

LimeyGeek on January 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM

And Kerry is an intellectual even though he pronounces idea “idere” while looking down his patrician nose. ::eyeroll::

Sue on January 12, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Don’t forget about Jenjis Khan, lol.

macblanegirl on January 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM

You just went full retard. Never go full retard.

LimeyGeek on January 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM

That is too funny, LimeyGeek.

macblanegirl on January 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I like noo-kyoo-lar myself. I think I’ll adopt it.

LimeyGeek on January 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

macblanegirl on January 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I’m getting a lot of mileage out of that quote. Worth the price of admission for that one scene alone. Downey rocks.

LimeyGeek on January 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

One of the best Prez we ever had…..never called his political bashers names, never attack anyone personally,
and always friendly, accept to the folks who want to
kill Americans.

GW is up there with Abe Lincoln….and Winston Churchill.

He got the job done in wiping out Saddam, freeing 50 million
and held back any 9/11 repeats…..

Even when we warned the Dems about Fannie Mae, he never
said a unkind word to those who defended and was responsible
for the bad loans.

7 years of economic growth….

Thank you GW, history and God know you did good.

And future generations will praise your name….and

shove GW basher’s memories in the dust bin of history

where they belong.

BTW

Palin 2012……:D

dec5 on January 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM

LimeyGeek on January 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

That wasn’t from Iron Man was it?

macblanegirl on January 12, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Yes, he made mistakes, but good lord, the hate is really undeserved.

MadisonConservative on January 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Oh really? I beg to differ. Bush spent close to a trillion dollars on Iraq. With not a hell of a lot to show for it. Yeah , yeah I know, they had elections. Woo hoo! But that I could overlook, and did overlook for a while.

What I can’t overlook is the fact that he spent 2-3 trillions of dollars on bailout after bailout after bailout his last year in office. Not conetnt with just bailoust he also thhew in a $150B stimulus check give-away.

He did more to advance socialism in this country than Gore or Kerry could ever have dreamed of. And for that in my book the hate being thrown at him is more than justified. Had Bush had a “D” next to his name you would be screaming bloody murder. But he’s a Republican so we’re all supposed to play nice and say JOB WELL DONE DUBYWA. Well screw that, he was a complete and utter failure and to hell with party loyalty.

angryed on January 12, 2009 at 3:39 PM

macblanegirl on January 12, 2009 at 3:28 PM

No. From (the now infamous) “Tropic Thunder”.

LimeyGeek on January 12, 2009 at 3:39 PM

GW is up there with Abe Lincoln….and Winston Churchill.

Thank you GW, history and God know you did good.

Palin 2012……:D

Either this is brilliant trolling or I want to party with you, Lee Harvey!!!

Palin 2012 – hahaha!.

Vernon Hardapple on January 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM

LimeyGeek on January 12, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Oh, ok. Didn’t see that one.

macblanegirl on January 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM

He actually gets way to much credit on the war on terror.
Who is to say that almost any republican in the office would have done very simalar things
Attack afghanastan
Tighten up homeland security just like he did.
If Eric Cantor or just any run of the mill Repub had been in office they might have done an even better job and most certainly would have been able to defend these policy postions better in the media.

But even on this he mostly sucked leaving our southern border mostly open for seven years after 9/11 and his inability to move the masses.
Bush sucked, the republican party is in tatters and we have have Obama as president and dems all over the house and senate.
He and Paulson come out a month before the election an announce to the world if you don’t give us 700 billion are economy will tank. Disaster for Mccain. Disaster for us.
I don’t care anything about this man and it doesn’t have anything to do with hate. Just calling it like it is.
He is the Republican Jimmy Carter.
Compassionate Conservativism needs to die a violent death.

kangjie on January 12, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Either this is brilliant trolling or I want to party with you, Lee Harvey!!!

Palin 2012 – hahaha!.

Vernon Hardapple on January 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM

IMO, GW is one of the best, regardless of his critics.

I disagreed with him on the bailouts, and immigration,
but over all he didn’t raise taxes, and held firm on
Iraq.

Palin, if she does run as Reagan Conservative and holds
to her beliefs, will be our Maggie Thatcher…

I hope….

But it’s not just the person or personality. It’s their
ideas and core understanding that I vote for. I don’t expect
them to be perfect, but I do expect them to stick to their
announced plan when they say they will and as best they can.

dec5 on January 12, 2009 at 4:19 PM

He is the Republican Jimmy Carter.

kangjie on January 12, 2009 at 4:08 PM

No way, Jimmy was timid when it came to Iran….

GW is no Jimmy…..50 million freed thanks to Bush.

7 years of tax cuts.

A strong military…..

A enemy drained of resources and too week to attack the
US.

We still have low interest rates, 93% employment,and
economy in spite of the bail outs, still mainly private
enterprise and intact.

Under Jimmy, we had a stronger Soviet Union that was growing. Double digit inflation, gas lines, 7.5% to 11.3%
unemployment, a misery index, and a military on food stamps.

dec5 on January 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Bush was spot on about the shift in tone, from “why didn’t you connect the dots?” to “why are you connecting the dots?”.

Completely wrong about what the Republican party needs to do now, but we knew that. Bush himself first threw conservatism under the bus with the whole “compassionate” thing. (I’m still waiting to hear why liberalism is compassionate. 50 million dead babies and counting, guys. Real compassionate.)

My disagreements with him aside, he’s a good man, he protected this country, he freed two nations, and I will miss him.

Still wish Ramos and Campeon would be freed, but I think the lady has sung on that one. A disgrace.

Hawkins1701 on January 12, 2009 at 4:47 PM

President Bush is wayyy to nice to the scum called MSM!!!

christene on January 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I caught the press conference by accident. Bush was nice to the press. The press wasted this last press conference with the normal bloviating, badgering Bush to concede his errors on a day when he did not have to concede a thing

I was not impressed by the moment of exit when a few gave Bush some applause but others obviously sat on their hands. They could not resist acting like scowling adolescents

Wonder of these same churlish children will give Obie a standing O for his first Presidential press conference?

As they say, a video lives on forever, and the performance of the press in a historic transition was not a proud moment.

I watched a lot of Bush press conferences especially after 911 and he always handled himself with dignity. If Bush had not lived in a bubble he might have understod the other side of open borders, and illegal immigration, and unfettered trade with tyrannical enemies who do not mind sitting on a trillion dollar surplus if it successfully kills the American economic cycle.

Bush might have made a mistake to put the ‘mission accomplished’ banner on the aircraft carrier, but he did not make a mistake to pilot the jet. I was very proud of him at that moment. When he stood up at the WTC site and addressed the rescuers after 911 he spoke to me and for me in a manner for which I will always be grateful. I agree with Bush on Iraq. Saddam had months to remove his WMD’s and the caravans to Syria suggest he did just that. It took the war to make Saddam bail on his WMD’s. I am certain Bush made a very good move

In this last skirmish between press and Bush, Bush had nothing to lose and he won. The press had nothing to gain and they gained even less.

I thank Bush for his efforts for my nation and the relatively terror free life I have lived in his presidency

entagor on January 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Thank you President Bush for keeping us safe.

Where did I hear this, “He might be the only person to have someone stick their foot out to trip him and then stand back an accuse him of falling down.”

Don’t forget he tried 21 times to reform fannie and freddie. People should not be blaming him for the melt down. We should be uniting to build our party to defeat the liberals in congress. Prez does not matter hear. We need fresh new leadership in congress. We need term limits.

To ED and Allah, this site over the past two years has become so disrespectful. The post on hear have started to get mean and vicious. From the top down.

Show some respect for a man that kept you safe, and would be a better choice to lead this country over the next four years than Obama.

kara26 on January 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Amen to that. . . Hot Air is becoming a crybabys comment
Bush bashing dreamland.

I’ll show the same respect to the new President that the current one has received over the last 4 years. – Ann Coulter

Texyank on January 12, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Hawkins1701 on January 12, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Yep. Meant to add that one to my list of disappointments in him. Unless there is something we don’t know, I will never understand his seemingly absolute refusal to even discuss them, let alone consider them for pardons.

macblanegirl on January 12, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I didn’t vote for the man in 2000 (nor did I vote for Gore) but I did in 2004 and might have again. He is a man of his word, as much or more than a politician may be, and steadfast as young Americans put their lives on the line for U.S. policy in Iraq and Afghanistan. He failed as a fiscal administrator, big time, and perhaps that will bite us all in the rear, or perhaps this recession is just going to be like any other.

Sheerq on January 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Someone needs to explain to Bush that the debate was about ILLEGAL ALIENS, not immigrants. Nice of him to take a McCain-like shot at conservatives (with misinformation) before he goes.

Bush oversaw the absolute destruction of the GOP and the conservative movement. I hope he’s prooud of himself, because I am disgusted with him. I take back any good things I had to say about him yesterday (when I was just trying to be nice to the guy). He should spend his retirement in Mexico, since he places the needs of Mexican citizens above those of Americans.

That was a sickening press conference. Bush can’t be gone soon enough. The idiot messiah is going to be even worse, but that doesn’t let Bush off the hook for what he was.

progressoverpeace on January 12, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Bush says goodbye

Man, after eight years it’s nice to see that. Can’t wait to hear some news announcer say “former President George W. Bush.”

factoid on January 12, 2009 at 5:53 PM

factoid on January 12, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I can’t wait to hear some news announcer report the facts about Barry.
I can’t wait to hear some news announcer report the yellow cake found in Iraq.
I REALLY can’t wait to hear some news announcer apologize to President Bush after more documents are unclassified.
I can’t wait to hear some news announcer report on Barry certificate of birth.
I can’t wait to hears some news announcer say ” Impeached President obama”

christene on January 12, 2009 at 6:18 PM

shove GW basher’s memories in the dust bin of history
where they belong.

That’s not going to happen. He’s stuck with that in his history.

sethstorm on January 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM

I can’t stand to see President Bush go!
I think he’s been a wonderful President–history will mark this, too–and I deeply dread the presidency of “The One.”
I slept well knowing that Bush and his well-chosen team of advisors and a military that was deeply devoted to their Commander-in-Chief was keeping us all safe.
Now, I don’t know what to think, but I am very, very afraid.
As for those who never waste an opportunity to trash the man, it’s not for nothing that the Bible tells us not to cast pearls before swine.

Jenfidel on January 12, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I’m gonna miss GWB. He is an honorable man who lead our nation through some very bad times. I forgive him for the things he did wrong. He was preoccupied saving with our lives.

kanda on January 12, 2009 at 8:12 PM

sorry shouls be “with saving our lives”.

kanda on January 12, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Mr Presdent as a person who voted for you in 2000 & 2004 .I must say that you were a great disapointment.You let the libs and dems roll you more than a few times.You would not fight back whem they called you everthing in the book.You tried to play nice with them and the press it got you no were.You did nothing about the borders with mexico.You are letting 2 good men who were just doing ther job rot in fed.prison just because you don,t want to make you good friend Johnny Sutton look bad.You fell for this bailout that Sec. Palson said we had to have.You had a chance to become a great Pres.but for some reason you would not stand up and fight the Libs.You were just content to just get along with Kenndy and the rest of the Libs even calling Kenndy a good and desent man after he said you lied about the war.We don,t need a nice man or women for pres. we need someone anyone that is not afraid to fight the Libs and call them out on all that they stand for.No more Mod.no more rino no more mr nice guy no more McCain/Huckabee/Bush types.The future of our country is at risk

thmcbb on January 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Republicans don’t like immigrants…. and gays, blacks, hispanics, secularists, evolutionists, poor people……

Noneya on January 12, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Democrats Republicans don’t like immigrants…… gays, blacks, hispanics, secularists, evolutionists, poor people……

Noneya on January 12, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Fixed.

christene on January 12, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Time to leave, you piece of crap.

Why does almost everyone here hate McCain but some are loyal to Bush?

The Dean on January 12, 2009 at 9:40 PM

while i say goodbye for he is a good man
I also note he probably is the last real president we will have for a long long time to come..

I saw a good write up on the presidents 10 GOOD things he acomplished..

jcila on January 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM

I have to say, that video made me very sad.

I have tremendous respect for President Bush on so many levels. I disagree with him on many issues, but he was so gracious there. He always was gracious.

I don’t like to see him maligned here or anywhere else after what he’s been through and what he tried to do to help this country in so many crises.

Summer on January 12, 2009 at 10:15 PM

That’s not going to happen. He’s stuck with that in his history.

sethstorm on January 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM

His bashers will been seen on the wrong side of history,
like the anti-nuke pacifist folks against Reagan…IMO.

Both misguided, and blinded by childish emotion.

dec5 on January 13, 2009 at 12:38 AM

2. Bush makes the statement that “Some people thought Republicans didn’t like immigrants” as if this was a reasonable assumption. The reason “some people” thought that is that the media invested heavily in twisting the arguments of conservatives to that end, and unfortunately, neither Bush nor McCain ever bothered to stand up to them and say “Bullshit”. I don’t know whether that was because they didn’t understand what conservatives were really saying themselves, or they were just not prepared to take a stand on the issue, but they didn’t and ultimately that alienated (!) much of the support they should have had.

Not only did Bush and McCain take a stand on the issue of illegal immmigration, they both took a deeply principled and heart-felt stand on the issue: that immigration restrictionism stems entirely from racist and nativist sentiment. To that end they pushed legislation to alleviate the racist burden placed upon illegal immigrants who may be unfairly discriminated against.

aengus on January 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Goodbye Mr. President. I thank him for keeping us safe since September 11, 2001. I wish his predecessor had done so before and that his successor does in the future but I am not optimistic. His Presidency certainly hasn’t been one of the greatest ever but it is far from the worst. Thank you George W. Bush for returning decency to the office.

Mistakes were definitely made but not with malicious intent. The only malice in this country has been coming from the MSM and the Democrats. The left couldn’t find anything to agree on him with. Even when he took up their causes it was never enough. They couldn’t just say “thank you, Mr. President.” He was doomed from the moment he became the President-Elect. The left was hell bent to undermine him every step of the way and they achieved their goal with startling success because no one called them on their crap.

The party was ineffective in their defense of this President these last 8 years, I can’t remember anything the spineless jellyfish in Congress or at the RNC said in defense of any policies other than when they were on the campaign stump for their own re-election.

Bush is not solely responsible for the losses in 2006 and 2008. This was a collective failure of the entire party. Poor leadership from the House and Senate during his first 6 years lead to the last two election cycles as much as anything he did. This was a charlie foxtrot of massive proportions and there is plenty of blame to go around.

rmel80 on January 13, 2009 at 2:53 AM

rmel80 on January 13, 2009 at 2:53 AM

oops! The left couldn’t find anything to agree with him on.

Surely, there are other grammatical blunders in my post but that one was the most obvious to me. lol

rmel80 on January 13, 2009 at 2:56 AM

Bush wishing compassion and respect to a man who’s views are radically different than his – even though he never received an ounce of respect from anyone else. That’s just the man that he is.

YoungAmerican on January 13, 2009 at 5:22 AM

Can’t wait to hear some news announcer say “former President George W. Bush.”

I’m hoping that it won’t take 8 years to hear Obama called former.

katiejane on January 13, 2009 at 9:03 AM

bye

argos on January 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM

He actually gets way to much credit on the war on terror.
Attack afghanastan
Tighten up homeland security just like he did.

He is the Republican Jimmy Carter.
Compassionate Conservativism needs to die a violent death.

kangjie on January 12, 2009 at 4:08 PM

I also want to add Hariet Myers and Alberto Gonzales and Jerry Bremer as more crucial mistakes Bush made.
I just heard him say one of his mistakes was that he pushed to hard for social security reform and not hard enough for immigration reform. Even now he doesn’t get the conservative arguement on this matter
I could go on and on. It’s not bush bashing to state opinions and facts. I think conservative defend him so much because of the way he was attacked by the left and the MSM.
The MSM was brutal to him but even now he refuses to take the gloves off and slam them back and when one of our own gets attacked he remains silent.
Why hasn’t he pardoned Scooter Libby btw.

kangjie on January 13, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I watched him talk for a few minutes, but, sad to say, I turned off the President on the last time we will hear him talk as President.
Washington got to him. I hate to say it, but the proud warrior of 2002 looking out for the world’s interests…became a figurehead shill looking to expand big Government.
Blaming Wall Street for the evils inflicted on us by the Democrats.
Remember the old Corman movie “The Little Shop of Horrors”? With the plant which ate people, and then their faces would pop up in flowers? Washington got him.

Doug on January 13, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Actually President Bush nominated TWO excellent Justices(Roberts and Alito-both solid conservatives) and has kept us safe.
Though I haven’t always agreed with his choices-I voted for him twice and would vote for him again.
My thanks and gratitude to President Bush-a real mensch-for his service to our nation.
Thanks to his family as well and purr-ayers for India now that she’s at the Rainbow Bridge.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2009 at 2:52 PM

The fact that the POTUS actually uses ‘words’ like that in the first place are evidence of his incompetence. He’s a dope – but you’re a bigger dope for defending him.

Vernon Hardapple on January 12, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Is “uh”, and “you know”, a sign of incompetence? You know.

Johan Klaus on January 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Goodbye and good riddance. IMHO his personality was too affable to be president and his policies too LEFTARD. Which is why McNumbnuts lost.

We don’t want a libtard light. (I’m sure there’s some Dr Seuss in there.)

dogsoldier on January 13, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Good god almighty,where have you GOPers been the last 8yrs?
The Bush lovers in here are beyond belief. This guy has the stones to stand up there in that press conference(that wasn’t even filled with reporters,they had to order the White House interns to fill the last 2 rows)and defend his great response to Katrina when everyone that’s alive today
KNOWS it was a total failure

But you still have brain dead people like this:

WHAT?? This administration has been run like the NY mafia since it strong armed it’s way into power and STOLE the 2000 election. These are the people who:

(1) Outed and exposed a undercover CIA agent because her husband didn’t play ball with Bush and Rove

(2) Started a war with a country who didn’t have ANY ties with 9-11 even though Bush still believes Iraq did,sent over 4,200 soliders to their deaths and god knows how many injured and we probably will never know how many Iraqis were killed.

(3) Had some cake with McCain and played the guitar in CA while a major US city drowned and thousands of people died in the streets after Katrina,and all he can do is say “Brownie,your doing a heck of a job”

Kayne West was right on when he said “George Bush doesn’t care about black people”. It’s funny to remember how after just hours after Katrina went over Florida,food,water and aid was on the ground within hours but it took days and weeks for the same aid to reach New Orleans but I guess since NO is poor,democratic and black,sending help to them wasn’t on his list of priorities
and then,like GOD himself Bush appeared in Jackson Square 2 weeks after the storm passed,standing there like Michael the Arch Angel,with the church in the background all lit up like everything was fine.

Note:80% of the city was still without power and I wonder if those generators that were used for Bush’s photo-op could’ve been used somewhere else like a hospital where they save people lives instead of someone trying to save his ass.

George Bush has FAILED as president
Democrats and Republicans alike are happy to see him go.
He has tarnished America’s image with his policies on tortue,his aggression against other nations and his outright defiance and arrogance to everyone else that’s not Republican or a part of the Christian Taliban. So don’t tell me we’re safe thanks to Bush because we are at more risk now than ever before. The next 7 days couldn’t get here soon enough

DcMike2K on January 13, 2009 at 10:02 PM

“Aye, Laddie – MMMBUT DO YA HAAATE BOOOOOOOOSH?!”

The strategy of the Enemies of Freedom, Liberty and America (also known as “Liberals”) – since they cannot win any arguments on merits or substantiated facts – is to Demonize the leader of their opposition. This is called the strategy of “Cut off the head, and the body will die”. They are not interested in the logic – only the perjoritives.

They do this by slinging smear after smear of lies and calumny against the walls of their opposition’s leader. The Media is ALWAYS with them – so they ALWAYS get SOMETHING to “stick”. They wait in their Lairs of Lies breathlessly awaiting just ONE member of their Opposition to say something demeaning or denigrating about their Leader or the ideas of their Leader so that they can ALL shriek in SHRILLNESS: “SEE — even the CONSERVATIVES (or REPUBLICANS) AGREE with US —– that MAN (or Woman) is THE DEVIL!!!!!” THIS is what Pelosi and Reid stand for: naked, unadultered and limitless POWER. Power for power’s sake.

If one of us DON’T say something negative about our leader or The Good Guys — The Liberals MAKE UP Something and LIE about who said something and WHAT was said, and use it against us. The MEDIA proceeds to use their power to ring these lies off of the walls of the Media echo chamber again and again to reinforce it. This was proven in the last election. Who did Obama run against? – George W. Boooooosh! The Mainstream Terrorist Media made SURE of this. THAT is why they HATED Palin so – they could not paint HER as George W. Bush, so they had to create a WHOLE NEW slew of slanders, lies and smears to try and bring HER down. They did NOT succeed – though after McCain actually HELPED the Media by helping to smear himself, it was too late for him.

THAT is why I DON’T help them by chiming in with the “HAAAATE BOOOOOOOOSH!!!!” perjoritives and lies.

THAT is why it is important to remember that everytime you bellow about how much you “HAAATE BOOOOSH” or “HAAATE PAAALIN” or how “WORTHLESS” Bush or Palin is —– you’re ONLY Helping THE ENEMY!!

Let’s STOP helping the Enemy, and let’s STOP helping The Terrorists by giving them soundbites that they and The Media can use to beat their message of hate into the world so loudly and longly that they drown out any whisper of the truth.

grtflmark on January 13, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Bush let the country down at the end by caving to his liberal economic advisors and killing capitalish with one stroke of his pen.

He is a good man who let the MSM and uber-libs wear him down, and they siezed their opportunity is his last days.

Now we are a socialist country.

notagool on January 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM