Huckabee to Coulter: Why’d you call me stupid?

posted at 1:48 pm on January 11, 2009 by Allahpundit

Again and again and again she hammered him during the primaries, and again and again he repays her here by putting her on the spot. “There’s an ugly yet fascinating dynamic brewing between these two,” I wrote in one of those old posts about the identity politics dance they were doing at the time. Watch this tango between two of the most famously nasty-yet-charming Republicans in America and tell me I was wrong.

Here’s the column in which she accused him of being pro-sodomy. Exit quotation: “Liberals adore Huckabee because he fits their image of what an evangelical should be: stupid and easily led.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Don’t dish it out if you can’t take it, Huck.

Just sayin’.

Hawkins1701 on January 12, 2009 at 4:09 AM

Why’d you call me stupid?

Hey, was I the only one horrified when Huckabee gave that press conference in front of a gathering of Latino journalists and was warming up to them by talking about how white guys like him will be a minority soon in the US?

Maybe someone will ask him if he thinks it’s a good idea for whites to become minorities in countries where they are currently the majority. Obviously he wasn’t merely joking because the Census Bureau has already confirmed that it will happen within the next couple of decades at current trends, and that doesn’t include any amnesties or immigration increases.

Buddahpundit on January 12, 2009 at 5:06 AM

So don’t take me seriously – your choice. Do you think I really care about what some Ann Coulter worshipper thinks of me? Don’t waste your time thinking about it or answering.

Thankfully Huckabee exposed her for what she is, bravo to him.

AprilOrit on January 11, 2009 at 9:13 PM

What a telling response. From a request for specifics, you glean insight into what I believe about Ann Coulter. If Mr. Huckabee is indeed what you think he is, I should think he would quietly ask you to stop defending him.

DrMagnolias on January 12, 2009 at 5:06 AM

Huckabee has the luxury of never actually hearing what he has said. Wish the rest of us could be that lucky.

Tommy_G on January 12, 2009 at 5:11 AM

Huckabee did not serve himself well by inviting Ann Coulter on to confront him regarding the truth. His attempts at damage control, for his future political ambitions, failed miserably.

We need a strong socially and fiscally responsible conservative president who can think on his feet and who actually possesses a backbone.

RINOS need not apply. They have destroyed the Republican Party. Thank God Ann Coulter presents the facts and shares the truth and is not intimidated by the good old boys (and they certainly work overtime in her case). She is a gem.

sinsing on January 12, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Huck shies away from the pro-sodomy tag the same way that pro choice people shy away from the pro-abortion tag.

It would be easy enough to checkmate him on this by asking him “do you think pro-choice people are pro-abortion?”. If I know my Huckabee, he would refuse to answer that question. Refusing to answer would cause him trouble with his base but not as much trouble as actually answering the question would cause him.

Buddahpundit on January 12, 2009 at 5:31 AM

Ann is hawking her book again. Yawn…

Bradky on January 12, 2009 at 6:04 AM

I like Huck… so long as he isn’t running for office. I’d vote for Ann for Senator or VP, and I’d vote for Huck to have his own TV show.

petefrt on January 12, 2009 at 8:10 AM

It bugs me that American politics continues to shift leftwards. Democrats have become socialists and Republicans are well on the way to becoming Democrats. Pretty soon, the only home for conservativism will be in libertarianism. While libertarianism is, to my mind, closer to the mindset of Washington and Jefferson it has become marginalized by the increasing role of government in the care and feeding of its constituency.
^
I love Ann Coulter. She seems to bring out the best and worst in people. While I respect her research I don’t always agree with her conclusions. Still, it’s fun to watch people get all twisted up in a knot over her opinions. I guess some people think she makes Republicans look bad or something.

jakabok_botch on January 12, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Support your conservative Sharp Edges~!

Serr8d on January 12, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Huckabee 2012. I put my money down in Vegas and got 5 to 1.

marklmail on January 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM

I love ANN and what she has done for REAL CONSERVATIVES, she has voiced and written HARD HIITING, in your face TRUTHS about the horrible, hate America, far left, “Progressivies”. They hate her and here we have supposedly our own side trying to harm her…

Stupid morons.

And we ask why we can’t and don’t WIN elections… ROFL!

It’s because our so called leaders DO NOT copy people like Ann and Rush and Mark Levin and HAMMER the stupidity and insulting way Liberals treat Conservatives, the Constitution and American in general. If we all voiced and fought agaist the Dems as much as we hate on Ann and Palin, we’d kick the Commie Libs out of office and take America back from the brink of Socialisim and despair.

But we won’t, we are too scared to be “labled” racist or Conservative. We are too scared to be PROUD OF AMERICA anymore and fight for freedom and morals and values.

So continue to sit back, hate on Ann and other true voices calling us to arms, calling on all of us to fight back and stand up. You will get what you deserve… An America weak, imprisoned by political correctness, with moral decay never before seen and rampant Socialisam.

Mark Garnett on January 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

For some reason or the other, I thought part of being a Christian was about being forgiving and letting bygones be bygones? “Blessed are the Peacemakers for they shall be called the Children of God”, and all that.

Yet here is a self-proclaimed “Christian leader” unwilling and/or unable to just let things go.

Well, it sells books and attracts viewers, I guess.

Marking Time on January 12, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Aaaaaawwwwww, poor Huckabee. *sniff sniff* I really cannot stand this clown.

Jockolantern on January 12, 2009 at 9:36 AM

petefrt on January 12, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Exactly. I don’t think I’d want Huckabee as President, but having a TV show — that’s an entirely different situation.

Aronne on January 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Think of her as the Far Right Wingnut version of a Jayne Mansfield or Pamela Anderson without any T & A but an Adam’s apple.

AprilOrit on January 11, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Think of Aprilorit as a Huckabee nuthugger.
These are the facts of life
1. Ann rules and is the best conservative writer there is.
2. you suck
3. Huckabee will never be president.
Get over it

kangjie on January 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Mark Garnett on January 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

+100, and the status quo on here reeks of Guilt, Guilt and more Guilt.

jay12 on January 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM

^

jakabok_botch on January 12, 2009 at 8:11 AM

I came to that conclusion the past few months.

Hilts on January 12, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Huckabee is a GAME SHOW HOST.

jake-the-goose on January 12, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Now Mitt Romney needs a show to invite Huckabee to make some more “clarifications.”

shick on January 12, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Huckabee is a GAME SHOW HOST…. who eats SQUIRRELS!

jake-the-goose on January 12, 2009 at 11:26 AM

There, fixed it.

ctmom on January 12, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Tune into The View and listen to all of them attacking her – including Elizabeth.

AprilOrit on January 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Angry Dumbo on January 12, 2009 at 11:56 AM

who eats SQUIRRELS!

ctmom on January 12, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I believe in eating what I shoot. So I eat them too. Not a lot of meat, but they will regain the place they had on the depression era dinner table within the next 4 years.

warden on January 12, 2009 at 12:05 PM

^

jakabok_botch on January 12, 2009 at 8:11 AM

What’s really scary about the shift leftward is how difficult it will be to reverse, even if the public decides it wants to. One of the McCain campaign’s biggest mistakes was their failure to explain this to voters who think they can give Obamanomics a try, then try something else in 2012 if it doesn’t work.

Moving the center of gravity back to the right will require a change in the electorate, rather than merely a change of leadership. That will require increasing the conservative influence on the culture, which has been so thorougly dominated by leftist ideology that virtually every single Republican vote is a battle. The problem with small-l libertarianism is that it lacks passion – it presents itself as a dry philosophy with little to say on the cultural issues, and is largely ignored by a shallow electorate that has little interest in discussing abstract theory, especially when they think they’re teetering on the edge of an economic abyss.

On the other hand, the problem with Huckabee’s brand of social-conservative populism is that it has no consistent economic principles to illuminate its governing philosophy. It concedes most of the major arguments about the scope of government to the Left – people are hurting, government has to help them, capitalism is unfeeling and motivated by greed. Huckabee only quarrels with the Left about exactly which direction the leviathan government should be plodding, and whom it should stomp with its trillion feet.

2012 will only be won with a combination of passion and reason, and a will to improve the electorate until they’re convinced they should elect the kind of leader they deserve.

Doctor Zero on January 12, 2009 at 12:07 PM

AprilOrit on January 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Is this supposed to be surprising? Elizabeth is sweet but hardly a warrior for conservatism. Of course she doesn’t approve of Coulter.

As for the rest of the people on The View, I’d be surprised if you could find a person on the Right they haven’t attacked.

Esthier on January 12, 2009 at 12:13 PM

AprilOrit on January 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM

So you are a ‘VIEW’ watcher and stupid enough to admit this in public. We are supposed to give some weight to your opinion or these ninny’s on the view. Please..
They don’t like her and this proves what?
You give idiots a bad name.
Step away from the computer and get back on the meds and STFU.

kangjie on January 12, 2009 at 12:25 PM

AprilOrit on January 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM

No intellectual would tune into the View, except to rip them on HA.

Elizabeth is a mental midget compared to just about any professional woman. Ann, in a mental dual would kill her fast, thought I’d suggest she play with her for a bit. The entertainment value would be incredible.

Entelechy on January 12, 2009 at 12:34 PM

And now Obamabi has gay bishops for prayers—welcome to ROME

Would Huck have done this? NO

John The Baptist on January 12, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Well said, well said.

John The Baptist on January 12, 2009 at 1:55 PM

It is comforting to know that Huck has a high rated TV show and McCain & Mitt are sitting ont he sidlenes where they belong.

Huck clarifies conservative ideals–he is the social Con Rush—-he is a good spokesman in more ways than one, while the RINOs and Fiscal cons only type all day on the internet.

I am also glad that Ann is out there writing best selling books–wish she didnt have to attack him thouhg, they would make agood team in mnay ways, but Ann attacks EVERYBODY–its what sells.

Everytime I get depressed with all the anit-social conservatism here on HotAir ,I take comfort in these facts.

John The Baptist on January 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Bets are now that the stinking media conspired with the RHINOtards from the Nixon wing of the party to foist that douche bag Cain (killer of his Conservative brothers) on us so as to assure a O/Commiecrat victory, we will now have them do it to us again in 2012 with Huckleberry. Dammit, I’m getting sick of this crap!!

Annie (while ALWAYS over the top) was right about the Huck – talk about your bold-faced liars!! We all know what he said and it’s too bad she couldn’t do a play-back on his commentary during the interview – not to mention his bizarre pathetic empathy with serial killers!

Huck is a member of the “screw-Americans, Pro-Mexico” wing of the party no matter his sudden denials. He’s from Arkansas and is only about 1/2 degree different than Bill Clinton (that being abortion and the military – his only decent stances).

babylonandon on January 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM

As much as I disliked Huck as a candidate, I’m warming up to him as a talk show host. I hope he has a long…and yes…successful career in television.

ElectricPhase on January 12, 2009 at 2:27 PM

What soured me most on Huckster was his running traffic for
Mccain and his underhanded shot on the Mormon faith.
His mealy mouthed response to illegal immigrants turns me off as well.
The way he pops up on liberal talk shows(Hardball) and does kissy make nice.
The way he gives far left idiots like Richard Dreyfus a platofrm to spew drivel for 5 minutes is annoying.
Even though nobody can make any sense of what richard Dreyfus says.
He is good on many questions though, his response to evoultion and abortion questions from media was first rate.
He is proably one of the best debaters we have in poltics

kangjie on January 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM

and I’d vote for Huck to have his own TV show.

petefrt on January 12, 2009 at 8:10 AM

At least that way, I can turn him off.

Johan Klaus on January 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM

warden on January 12, 2009 at 12:05 PM

They are really good with dumplings.

Johan Klaus on January 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM

AprilOrit on January 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Elizabeth is on there because she’s not a debater. If she were, she could easily destroy the lightweight, mealymouthed libnuts like Babs and Whoopie.

And thanks for telling us you watch “the View”. We won’t forget.

Squiggy on January 13, 2009 at 5:42 AM

Well done, Mike! You done real good standing up for yourself in that interview. Calling out, ahem, (phrase ommitted as I’m trying to be nice) one of the “people” who condemned you during the primaries and helped sabotage your almost-a-miracle campaign. I gotta tell ya. That felt good. Real gooood! Watching Coulter spin on her head on that one was amusing to say the least. If you’re reading Ann, you were one of my favourite conservatives before you attacked Mike the way you did. You were wrong to do it and that’s why you lost my support and the support of other Bible-believing Christians. I’m trying to be nice, but there is no other way to say it other than you lied when you called Mike the “Republican Jimmy Carter,” said that he was a “stupid Christian,” that he supported a federal smoking ban in people’s homes (it was in work places because of second hand smoke issue) that he supported raisng taxes (he’s for the fair tax all the way) that he supports sodomy (puh-leeze!) and that he was against school choice, the immigration issue, etc, etc, the list is pretty long and absurd. You’re better than that Ann. And then you rub salt in the wound by supporting Romney (who is not a Christian — sorry, but that matters when it comes to the security of America!!). Anyways, before I get too carried away. Here’s the deal in a nutshell Ann. Get on board with us and start supporting the real conservative Huckabee and you will start gaining our trust again. Of course, nobody is perfect, but Huck is the brightest candidate we have (he would have destroyed Barack in the debates) and with all of us supporting another run by him we can begin to change this nation and fix the damage done over the last several decades. The choice is yours. You can go the credible route – or the path of many neocon secular Republica elite anti-God conservatives who make derogatory comments about religious candidates and their supporters. Taking the second route will not lead to good things for the nation nor your soul. Thank you. My prayers are for you.

apacalyps on January 13, 2009 at 5:44 AM

Well said

John The Baptist on January 13, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Good Grief don’t you ever get it, apacalyps. He’s dead meat and should never see the light of an election again. It’s OK for him to say his biggoted way on Romney, but it’s not OK for someone to call him out on his stupidity.
The revelation one of you had was from the wrong side. He was not the nominee and did not become president.
Good to know your still out there supporting this buffoon.
I don’t think allah could close the thread until he heard from you.
Have a good day, work beckons.

Bambi on January 13, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Oh Bambi
Anytime you need a ruling on who is christian and who is not just ask dipshit(er apacalyps). He is the referee in this matter. He is standing in for God these days while he is on vacation I guess.
Ann is telling the truth about Huckster on those issues and then this guys calls her a liar. This makes apacalyps a liar or at least a moron. I think most likely its both.

kangjie on January 13, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Well said

John The Baptist on January 13, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Not sure if this was meant for me as there are alot of messages, but if it was, “cheers” and I’m glad you see the truth about this whole matter. Thank you.

apacalyps on January 13, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Bambi on January 13, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Ah, there she is! Good ol’ Bambi. Right on time! Always there to attack me, lol. I can literally feel the hate oozing off the screen.

It’s OK for him to say his biggoted way on Romney

*Yawn*. This was disproven a long time ago. You demonize the guy to the point of absurdity.

Good to know your still out there supporting this buffoon.

So helpful you are. Let me write this down so I don’t forget. B-u-f-f-o-o-n. Yep! Got it! Thanks.

Have a good day.