Video: Hair-helmeted antihero recites poem, goofed on by Shep Smith

posted at 4:45 pm on January 9, 2009 by Allahpundit

The presser was duller than expected — no Bobby Rush this time, for starters — but still impressively disjointed, with Blago joined onstage by an assortment of human shields while he rambled about his legislative accomplishments without any mention of that pesky abuse of power charge he was impeached for. Oh, did I mention the poem? There was a poem at the end, too. Of course.

Dude, I think we should make him governor for life. Exit question: Did the Illinois Supreme Court just breathe new life into the “block Burris” movement? Quote:

Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) have said Burris won’t be seated without [a] certification, and a senior Senate aide said the court ruling bolsters that claim since [Secretary of State Jesse] White now cannot be forced to sign the paperwork.

An 1884 Senate rule says senators must have certification papers signed by their states’ governors and secretaries of state. In a private call to Senate leaders, White renewed his vow not to sign the papers Friday.

Comments

The worst part was that Shep spoke over Blago’s reference to Rahm Emanuel (which Blago stressed). Blago indicated that he is going to spill all the beans if they pursue him on this.

progressoverpeace on January 9, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Who brought the whoopee cushion at 0:19?

Big S on January 9, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Shep was a little over the top! It was funny! Blago is bucking for a section 8

grapeknutz on January 9, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Goodness, if they are going to run a live event they should not talk over the newsmaker!

Sheerq on January 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Oh, a poem talked about by Ted Kennedy. It should go something like this:

Driving along, we made a splash
I got out, quick as a flash
what happened to her, I don’t recall
neither should you, just vote this fall.

MadisonConservative on January 9, 2009 at 4:55 PM

progressoverpeace on January 9, 2009 at 4:48 PM

That was Blago just letting the Obama team know that names will be dropping.

Firebird on January 9, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I hear they have a nice poetry club at Sing Sing.

Glenn Jericho on January 9, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Shep Smith is a Donkey, from head to toe.

PappaMac on January 9, 2009 at 4:57 PM

You had to love how Blago, playing a la Clinton almost to perfection, emphasized that he was elected to, in some such words, do the work of the people of Illinois…blah, blah, blah…and that he was going to stay and do his job. When Clinton said the same, all those years ago, I was infuriated. It’s so schadenfreud-ily lovely to finally see Democrats having to “deal with it” when they’d love nothing more than to see Blago resign…and he’s having none of it! I must admit, something perversely Orville Redenbacher in me is really enjoying this Illinois governor.

marybel on January 9, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Good Rod had a masterful plan
sell a Senate Seat, O yes he can!
And then when he’s impeached
He makes Dems overreach
With racebaiting whores ‘gainst “The Man”

BKennedy on January 9, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Team Obama must be terrified.

Black Adam on January 9, 2009 at 4:59 PM

That was Blago just letting the Obama team know that names will be dropping.

Firebird on January 9, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Oh yeah. But I don’t think it’s lost on the Illinois Senate (along with the Daley machine in Chicago, which pulls in top Dems the nation over, as Daley had been Gore’s campaign manager) that all the names are going to come spilling out.

Frankly, I can’t understand how the Daley machine has been kept out of the headlines on this, as most news anchors have been unable to reflexively talk about “the Chicago machine” when they wanted to speak about Illinois politics.

progressoverpeace on January 9, 2009 at 5:00 PM

He looked like a nine-year old kid who watched a triple feature of monster movies and is whisting as he walks by the graveyard on his way home in the dark.

Dukehoopsfan on January 9, 2009 at 5:01 PM

news anchors have been unable to reflexively talk about “the Chicago machine”

Er … I meant:

news anchors have been unable to stop from reflexively talking about “the Chicago machine”

progressoverpeace on January 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM

“Team Obama must be terrified.”

Nah, they making plans to bump off Blago before the ONE ascends.

izoneguy on January 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Exit Notation: Every press conference by a newly-impeached politician should include references to breast examinations.

amerpundit on January 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Got my Black Jewel premium popcorn, big snow storm tonight & tomorrow. I’m all set.

rbj on January 9, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Sheerq on January 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I caught the press conference live on FoxNews, and believe me, I was dying for Shep to start talking over Blago after about 15 seconds or so. I literally couldn’t take listening to Blago. It was completely surreal to watch him raving about all his accomplishments and doing the poor-me thing where he said “Maybe instead of charging me with all these things I didn’t do, the Illinois House could pass a bill to help these poor people over there…” etc. It was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen.

ThanksMo on January 9, 2009 at 5:07 PM

amerpundit on January 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I’m sorry. I kept thinking of Billy Jeff.

Illinidiva on January 9, 2009 at 5:08 PM

U sure speak sum purty words, boy….

*tosses salad*

The Ugly American on January 9, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Team Obama must be terrified.

Black Adam on January 9, 2009 at 4:59 PM

There once was a prince named Obama
His Governor, so full of melodrama
A pr genius in the field
“I wil not, I will not yield”
O’ bama!

“My prince, this man is a danger” said Rahm
The Clinton’s and now the O’s queen prom
“He knows so much to us related”
“I tried hard to have him abated”
“Diapers we must stock up on, bomb!”

Entelechy on January 9, 2009 at 5:10 PM

It’s more like Blago goofed on Smith. In a strange way Blago doesn’t come across delusional, but rather confident that he has the goods on some big people, and isn’t afraid to use them, at all costs.

Entelechy on January 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Illinidiva on January 9, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Didn’t he pull some similar crap? Didn’t Gore pull out charts or something?

amerpundit on January 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I think they should send Shep out on his next live event. Let the heckling ensue.

- The Cat

MirCat on January 9, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Didn’t he pull some similar crap? Didn’t Gore pull out charts or something?

amerpundit on January 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Not that involved. It’s just every time a politician and breast examinations are mentioned in the same sentence my mind automatically wanders to Billy Jeff and his favorite extracurricular activities.

Illinidiva on January 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM

“Team Obama must be terrified.”

Nah, they making plans to bump off Blago before the ONE ascends.

izoneguy on January 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Poison pork?

grapeknutz on January 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM

I’m starting to like this guy. (Not Shep.)

Y-not on January 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM

There once was an Illinois Gov
Whose Congressmen gave him a shove
When he should have just walked
He just stood there and talked
And now no one is feeling the love

/I’ll stick to my day job, thanks

Snowed In on January 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM

This guy is such a dirtbag. I could barely listen to him – can you believe they’re impeaching him for trying to make sure old women don’t die of breast cancer????? Dirt.Bag.

melda on January 9, 2009 at 5:27 PM

If Shep were there live, he probably would have thrown his shoe!

Blago…what a tool.

I dunno Ent, I gotta disagree with that. To me, he looks scared $#!&-less…and he knows his career is over. Which has been nothing more really than a power trip.

JetBoy on January 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Entelechy on January 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Good…I hope he uses every single one of them. It won’t help his case, but it will hopefully take some corrupt people down with him.

James on January 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM

We have departed from anything even remotely resembling responsible government, much less the lofty government “of the people, by the people, for the people” that Lincoln spoke of at Gettysburg. We have departed from reality and into a special kind of farce.

I can only laugh, now, as liberal nitwits like Shep call for all Illinoisans to be shocked and outraged by this sickening little pimp. But I was outraged long ago, as our regional and local newspapers endorsed filthy Democrap scum like Baloneyvich and Obama for offices that they are unqualified to hold, and ignored their records of corruption and lack of accomplishment, in favor of reckless liberalism and partisan politics.

This is now just funny to me, to see Blago hoist the left by its own petard, too corrupt for them to attack with full venom, because of what he knows. I dare them to impeach and prosecute this piece of garbage, and watch him start pointing at every Democrat politician in view – Burris, Emanuel, Jackson, Madigan, Daley, Obama, Jones, Stroger, et al.

Do you think he’s just bucking for an insanity plea now?

Jaibones on January 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Blah blah blah blahgo

dont taze me bro on January 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM

The foolish American public has no clue what they asked for with a smooth Chicago politician. The whole upper end of the state is nothing but a big rats nest of corruption and back scratching for big money. Obama’s house deal was SOP for Chicago politicians.

His true stripes will show soon enough. The problem is that the demographics of the country are going downhill.

saiga on January 9, 2009 at 5:57 PM

JetBoy on January 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I don’t think he’s scared, at all. He knows that he’s got the goods on everyone and he’s having a grand old time letting everyone know that. He probably thinks that he has a 60% chance of surviving, politically. After all, dems vote in crackheads, incompetent mayors who do nothing about flooding cities, Indonesian kids for Precedent, gay pimps, …

progressoverpeace on January 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I hear they have a nice poetry club at Sing Sing.

Glenn Jericho on January 9, 2009 at 4:57 PM

A dog is barking,
Do he bite?
Kill my landlord.
Kill my landlord.
C-I-L-L
My landlord.

Cuffy Meigs on January 9, 2009 at 6:05 PM

“Is he living in an alternate universe?”

Does a bear crap in the woods, is he an Illinois D Governor?

Speakup on January 9, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Jaibones on January 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM

If he does start dropping names and naming past events/deals, will the investigation just ignore it? I realize it has embarrassment value, but does anyone think Fitz will follow up if Obama gets named?

a capella on January 9, 2009 at 6:28 PM

progressoverpeace on January 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM

+10

You bet he’s got the goods, and all he needs is one crackhead on his jury and he skates.

Knucklehead on January 9, 2009 at 6:36 PM

The Senate’s 1884 rule is understandible, but it can’t mean that there is no other way to verify a governor’s pick. Note for example Murkowski leaving the US senate to be Governor of Alaska and then picking his daughter to replace him as senator — Alaska (along with Hawaii and Utah) has no secretary of state so other means of verification had to be used. Given TV and YouTube, we clearly see the IL governor appointing Burris, and now the IL Supreme Court attests to the act. No more is needed and the senate needs to move on. We shouldn’t let this become a precedent for secretaries of state holding a veto over their governors — MN SoS Richie is probably drafting a bunch of vetoes now.

Mark30339 on January 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Dude, I think we should make him governor for life.

Hell, yeah. It’s not like Illinois will vote in anyone who isn’t crooked. At least Blago is entertaining.

Disturb the Universe on January 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Has anyone heard yet which party he’s a member?

moxie_neanderthal on January 9, 2009 at 7:29 PM

The decision said it was unnecessary. At the time the Senate Rule went into effect all Secretarys of State were required to issue such certification, now they just have to record it. So, a question for Harry Reid. Suppose Gov Pawlenty refuses to sign on for Franken but the Sec’y of State Acorn acolyte certifies the election without the signature of the Governor, would that be enough to seat Frankenfurter under your rules?

eaglewingz08 on January 9, 2009 at 7:36 PM

blago: feel the love.

kelley in virginia on January 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Heh! Scrappleface has a thread today that says that Obama has tapped Blagojevich to be his Mid-East envoy. You have to get up early to beat Scott Ott at the satire game.

onlineanalyst on January 9, 2009 at 9:11 PM

he IS the gift that keeps on giving.

Could he be a secret conservative?

notagool on January 9, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Blago is a Dem. Obviously he thinks if he ignores the charges against him, they’ll just go away.

Geronimo on January 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM

He probably made his teachers happy memorizing all these poems. Who knew he would grow up to be a nut?! I have new respect for my students who just show up and sit quietly.

PattyJ on January 9, 2009 at 9:36 PM

I’m so glad I had today off and could watch this. Pure comedy (save the tragic critique of our government one must take). Hands down the best part was when Shep asked if the shoe-thrower was available.

drmanyee on January 9, 2009 at 10:10 PM

After a few minutes of the narcissist clap-trap, Shep’s comments were welcome and hilarious. He said what I was thinking.

hopefloats on January 9, 2009 at 10:29 PM

There once was a Governor named Blago
Who was cocky as one Ivan Drago.
His presser was strange, his hair stayed arranged,
As he embarrassed eveyrone from Chicago.

cannonball on January 9, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Meh. What’s the real headline here? Shep Smith is absurd. I was watching this live when I got home from work, listening to Shep talk. He reminded me of that guy that has had too much to drink at a party and is trying to impress everyone by saying something witty whenever he sees an opportunity. I found myself shouting at the TV for Shep to shut up. Sad really. HOW DARE A STORY DETRACT FROM SHEPARD SMITH’S TALKING! I’VE GOT MAKEUP ON AND I’M HERE TO DO THE NEWS FOR GOSH SAKES!!1 I hope this is in the news for the next 4 years…

blankminde on January 9, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Entelechy on January 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Waterboard the bastard on Meet The Press, with Gregory doing a dance number in the background for good measure. That’s entertainment!

hillbillyjim on January 10, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Cuffy Meigs on January 9, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Classic. A sad reminder that SNL used to actually be funny.

hillbillyjim on January 10, 2009 at 12:59 AM

I thought Shep was funny. Blago seemed like he had dementia….and I also worry about other countries watching that! ugh Blago is an embarrassment.

becki51758 on January 10, 2009 at 8:01 AM

I also find myself yelling at Shep these days to simply STFU. I don’t care to hear his rants and I don’t understand why management at Fox doesn’t jerk his chain in this crap.

Conservative Ivan on January 10, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I have not liked Shep since Katrina. I did watch part of the Blago show… I gotta admit he has a lot of guts. I really like his in your face technique. He has made fools out of Reid, Obama, Durbin and others. What’s not to like about that.

Dasher on January 10, 2009 at 10:26 AM

I mentioned this story to three people; each had seen the video, and each one said “He said something about Rahm, but I missed it because that idiot Shep talked over it.”

If Shep didn’t want that part out there, why did he even run the video?

Jaibones on January 10, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Conservative Ivan on January 10, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Keep an eye on Drudge. Once a week he posts the week’s numbers for cable news shows. It goes something like this:

O’Reilly 4mm
Hannity 3mm
Shep 2mm
Everyone else – measurably lower.

That’s why.

Jaibones on January 10, 2009 at 10:57 AM

As for RahmObam, I’m actually starting to think they are going to have Blago tossed in the Chicago river. The Illinois GA voted yesterday to impeach him, 114-1. He is flipping everyone off and laughing.

The Senate is going to be stuck with his retarded appointee, Roland the Headless Accountant.

I seriously think that when the Feds get this douchebag in the little room for coffee, he’s going to squeal like a stuck pig. He doesn’t want to spend the next twenty years in jail, and he’s far too in love with himself to believe that he should.

No, he’s going to light Rahm Emanuel on fire, and maybe even Obambi his ownself.

Jaibones on January 10, 2009 at 11:04 AM

“Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose”.

Johan Klaus on January 11, 2009 at 2:33 PM