Man with stressful job forced to live with mother-in-law

posted at 6:15 pm on January 9, 2009 by Allahpundit

As if the guy didn’t have enough problems.

“She is here to help them get up and running,’’ said Katie McCormick Lelyveld, a spokeswoman for Mrs. Obama. “She will determine in the coming months whether or not she wants to stay in D.C. permanently.”

In some ways, Mrs. Robinson’s decision to move – at least temporarily — is no real surprise. During the presidential campaign, Mrs. Robinson was a family mainstay, caring for the Obama girls, Sasha and Malia, while their parents were on the road…

“I’ve never lived outside of Chicago, so I don’t know,’’ said Mrs. Robinson, hesitating a bit as she considered last year whether she was willing to move into the White House. “In the end, in the end, I’ll do whatever. I might fuss a little, but I’ll be there.”

They said McCain couldn’t be trusted with the button, but take away The One’s cigarettes and Blackberry (maybe) and dump this on him and, well — let’s just say I’m increasingly optimistic Iran will be dealt with “harshly” when the time comes.

I’m looking forward to the inevitable Eddie Murphy takeoff, with Murphy playing the characters of the president, the first lady, and of course the “sassy” matron in a fat suit. Exit question: Did I miss any hacky mother-in-law jokes here? Something involving a rolling pin and hair curlers, maybe?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I think the “slut” remark is beyond the pale.

Delete!

PattyJ on January 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM

PattyJ on January 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I think comments only get deleted once Allahpundit gets emailed. Someone has to email him.

terryannonline on January 9, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Have we had a beta-male president before, or will Barry be the first?

califcon on January 9, 2009 at 9:41 PM

PattyJ on January 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Well Patty,

Until Allah responds to your e-mail. I don’t think my comments are beyond the pale and far more tame than some of the crap that Laura Bush has had to endure.

Michelle Obama, IMO, comes off as a gutter slut who attached herself to the right sugar daddy. I know she is an Ivy League educated lawyer but she is very rough around the edges.

highhopes on January 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM

And here’s to you, Mrs. Robinson,
The one loves you more than you will know…

beancounter on January 9, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Yep, Paul Simon’s gonna have a field day. Well actually, both Paul Simons – the singer and the former Senator from Illinois.

Bigfoot on January 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM

highhopes on January 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM

You gotta keep repeating that? Put down the freakin’ crack pipe and have a little class. Fake it if you have to.

califcon on January 9, 2009 at 10:00 PM

highhopes on January 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM

I don’t like Michelle Obama and I suspect that she will harm the image of ‘First Lady’ But unless you know personally of her sexual habits, calling the woman a “slut” is out of bounds and the epithet says more about you than it does about her.

Have you been peeping in her bedroom?

baldilocks on January 9, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Or perhaps “highhopes,” you’ve kept too much company with sluts and cannot tell the difference between a woman who has an unpleasant personality and one who is promiscuous.

Words mean things.

baldilocks on January 9, 2009 at 10:03 PM

You gotta keep repeating that?

califcon on January 9, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Yeah I do, so long as a woman who made the statement that she hated America until her sugar daddy husband was nominated goes to Washington. Sorry if it offends you that I am willing to call a gutter slut a gutter slut.

highhopes on January 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Well, I suspect this also is a first, that the taxpayers house a mother-in-law, but when you are on welfare, everyone in the family sups at the trough, don’t they? Never been there meself.

Seriously, what possible reason could there be for the mother-in-law to attach herself to the President except to enjoy the perks of his position? Not like she could not be supported by Bama on his salary, these people are millionaires. Surely some pay-to-play doofus could spring some money to maintain the mother in Chi. What are those SEIU dues for, anyway?

Maybe Michelle needs the mother to keep her out of trouble…sort of like an ADA “service animal”.

Bullshit. Low grade, but class shows.

Harry Schell on January 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Have you been peeping in her bedroom?

baldilocks on January 9, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Rationalize all the crap Laura Bush has been called before you attack me.

highhopes on January 9, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Rationalize all the crap Laura Bush has been called before you attack me.

highhopes on January 9, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Dude, you’re not making any sense. How would the name-calling of one woman justify the name-calling of another?

baldilocks on January 9, 2009 at 10:24 PM

highhopes on January 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM

That’s not a “gutter slut.” That’s an America-hater.

Words mean things.

baldilocks on January 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Correction: How would the unjustified name-calling of one woman justify the unjustified name-calling of another?

baldilocks on January 9, 2009 at 10:24 PM

baldilocks on January 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I suspect “highhopes” only wishes he knew what an actual slut was . . . probably never met anyone desperate enough to give him a real-life demonstration.

califcon on January 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM

You sound amost like a jilted lover, highhopes–the same way many people on the right sounded when Obama’s association with Jeremiah Wright was “revealed.”

It’s pathetic.

baldilocks on January 9, 2009 at 10:28 PM

That’s not a “gutter slut.” That’s an America-hater.

Words mean things.

baldilocks on January 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM

An Irish daughter had not been home for over 5 years. Upon her
return, her Father cussed her.
“Where have ye been all this time? Why did ye not write to us, not even a line? Why didn’t ye call? Can ye not understand what ye put yer old Mother thru?”

The girl, crying, replied, “Sniff, sniff….Dad….I became a prostitute…”
“Ye what!!? Out of here, ye shameless harlot! Sinner! You’re a disgrace to this Catholic family.”

“OK, Dad– as ye wish. I just came back to give mum this luxurious fur coat, title deed to a ten bedroom mansion plus a $5 million savings certificate. For me little brother, this gold Rolex. And for ye Daddy, the sparkling new Mercedes limited edition convertible that’s parked outside plus a membership to the country club…………………… (takes a breath)…………. and an invitation for ye all to spend New Years Eve on board my new yacht in the Riviera and… …”

“Now what was it ye said ye had become?” says Dad.

Girl, crying again, “Sniff, sniff….a prostitute Daddy! Sniff, sniff.”
“Oh! Be Jesus! Ye scared me half to death, girl! I thought ye said a Protestant. Come here and give yer old Dad a hug.”

MB4 on January 9, 2009 at 10:31 PM

MB4 on January 9, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Almost always entertaining, you are.

baldilocks on January 9, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Sorry if it offends you that I am willing to call a gutter slut a gutter slut.

highhopes on January 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Knock it off, highhopes.

Allahpundit on January 9, 2009 at 10:41 PM

And if you’re one of those individuals who are hoping for a depression worse than in the 30’s, congratulations to you, for the patriotism oozes through my computer screen.

sandman on January 9, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I get the distinct impression that the only ones hoping for that are Democrats.

ddrintn on January 9, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I am late to this thread, but my dear husband “joked” that he got his m-i-l for his December birthday… not entirely true . My mother (of an only child) stayed with us over many Christmas’ and thanks to her needing to be busy, did all my housework, laundry, ironing etc. so that I could spend those weeks baking hundreds of cookies, quick breads, cheesecakes, and potluck dinners, which I loved for the folks I loved. The first Christmas after she had gone to her reward was unbearable, I so missed her saying “What can I do next?( subtext..to show my love for you). What a darling!!

I’m glad that Michelle will have her Mother and more importantly that the girls will have their grandmother to care for them in Michelle’s necessary absence.

YankeeinCA on January 9, 2009 at 11:26 PM

The only thing worse than a Klingon wife is a Klingon mother-in-law.

Jim62sch on January 10, 2009 at 12:20 AM

And here’s to you, Mrs. Robinson,
The One loves you more than you will know…

beancounter on January 9, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Wow, that’s the highest you can get!
They are, in ascending order: Jesus, the Beatles, Obama.

Tzetzes on January 10, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Have we had a beta-male president before, or will Barry be the first?

califcon on January 9, 2009 at 9:41 PM

“The One” beta-male metrosexual president, Barry-O.

maverick muse on January 10, 2009 at 6:28 AM

1:15 a.m.

There is a huge differentiation between the idolization of the Beatles vs. Obama.

The Beatles fans mobbed the Beatles to touch or grab hold of a Beatle.

Obamas fans mob conservatives in order to cleanse the world of opposition.

The assassin of John Lennon was his fan.

Chapman shook hands with Lennon and held out a copy of Lennon’s new album, Double Fantasy, for him to sign. Photographer Paul Goresh was present when Lennon signed Chapman’s album and took a photo of the event.

[Upon sentencing] When Chapman was asked if he had anything to say, he rose and read a passage from The Catcher in the Rye. “Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody’s around – nobody big, I mean – except me. And I’m standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff – I mean if they’re running and they don’t look where they’re going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That’s all I do all day. I’d just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it’s crazy, but that’s the only thing I’d really like to be.”

WIKIPEDIA

Does Obama see himself as the catcher in the rye?

maverick muse on January 10, 2009 at 6:44 AM

Fact is, the mother-in-law has been the one taking care and raising the Obama children. The mother-in-law is the children’s day-to-day, take care of the kids, mother.

Michelle and Barack are absentee parents – always doing something else….except when a video camera or photographer or reporter is around.

albill on January 10, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Re: The mother in law moving in with the Obamas:

The 3:00 am phone call
ring..ring..ring..ring…ring..ring…ring…ring…ring….
…a sleepy Mrs. Robinson picks up and whispers into the phone)
“Shush up the family is asleep call back at a more respectable time” (click)

philly_PA on January 10, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Man with stressful job forced to live with mother-in-law

Well, times are tight, and a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.

abcurtis on January 10, 2009 at 9:11 AM

RACIST!!!!

sandman on January 9, 2009 at 9:09 PM

It was ONE (1) person who wished for a depression worse than the 1930′s, and he got smacked down for it. Given the last 8 years where people on your side wished for similar circumstances to happen to Bush, and the resulting approval/”seconding” (if that’s a word) of the comments from others, I don’t think you have any room to talk. I want Obama’s presidency to be successful. My particulars of what constitutes success might be different from yours, but I want to see strong economic growth, low crime, no terrorist attacks, etc.

Andy in Colorado on January 10, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Sorry, but I think some of you are off the rails on this one.

I think it’s better for the Obama girls to have their grandma, who loves them and is probably a stable influence, help them transition to the zoo that has become their life.

I say this as someone who fought hard to NOT have Obama as president.

The girls are off the range, boys. Let the Obamas do what they think is best for them.

And not all mothers-in-law are nightmares. I know my mother-in-law was the best thing that ever happened to me, and I know many other people (male and female) who happen to think the same.

Mommynator on January 10, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Anyone check to see if his mother in law is here legally? Most of the rest of his family wasn’t…..

bullseye on January 10, 2009 at 9:50 AM

mb4 – that was a great non politically correct joke.

The article in the Aisian times threaded earlier in this stream was spot on, and I urge you all to read it.

From the children’s viewpoint it is good that the grandmother is there, but this raises my big beef – if you have kids, YOU should raise them, not someone else! I agree with the assessment that the kids are used as photo ops by both parents.

Lastly, I want to advance the notion that Michelle O is going to be another HIllary in that she will emerge from her husband’s presidency wanting to further her own political career. Mark it down, she is going to run for an office, be appointed to a cabinet post , not in Barry’s administration, mind you (I think that she learned the lesson presented by the Clinton’s) but after he is through wrecking this country.

On another thread, did the Pelosi hate driven House repeal the rules that Newt instituted with Contract with America? Did that vote go through? I could not find out what the results were – knew there was a vote this week – why arent’ we raising hell about this?

catlady on January 10, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Mommynator on January 10, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I do agree but wouldn’t it be nice if the Palin-haters extended the same curtesy to the Palin children? They reap what they sow.

katiejane on January 10, 2009 at 11:17 AM

It would be. But there is zero benefit in responding in kind.

Mr. D on January 10, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Maybe Obama’s aunt from Kenya can move as well. Maybe the whole clan from Kenya can be given one of the wings too.

markytom on January 10, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Sorry, but I think some of you are off the rails on this one.

I tend to agree, but come on, if we can’t find some bit of humor in this, then we all need to lighten up. The mother-in-law joke is the oldest, hackneyed one in the book. The fact that this is happening to the leader of the free world makes it extra funny.

InCali on January 10, 2009 at 5:53 PM