Video: Unknown state legislator panders for votes on dopey food show

posted at 3:58 pm on January 8, 2009 by Allahpundit

A transmission from the pre-9/11 world to cleanse the palate on the day his election becomes official. Here, talking about johnny cakes, is the man who holds the economic future of America for generations to come in his hands. The title of the show? Only too fitting.

I admit, I’m bummed that he didn’t mention arugula.

Comments

Actually, Check Please is a pretty good show.

Let’s not confuse the message with the messenger. ;-)

aquaviva on January 8, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Just as long as He doesn’t show up on Iron Chef America.

rbj on January 8, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I wonder if the restaurant PAID him to give a good recommendation?…..after all it is Chicago!

grapeknutz on January 8, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I stick with Bourdain and Ted Nugent BBQ segments.

Pasalubong on January 8, 2009 at 4:03 PM

He gots the serious munchies for those johnny cakes, man.

Brat on January 8, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Where I come from, johnny cakes are made from cornmeal. Those were flour pancakes being served.

Sue on January 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Back in 2001, before the first episode of WTTW’s “Check, Please!” aired, David Manilow, the program’s creator and executive producer, realized he had a problem.

He needed willing eaters to review local restaurants. The premise was simple: “Check, Please!” would feature three new amateur reviewers each week; each critic would pick a favorite restaurant and review it, then review the picks of the other two reviewers.

Desperate, Manilow called his friend Barack Obama, a state senator at the time. Obama chose Dixie Kitchen & Bait Shop in Hyde Park. His fellow critics, a local firefighter and a retail buyer, chose Le Bouchon in Bucktown and Zia’s Trattoria in Edison Park.They shot in August 2001—then the episode was shelved.

Until Jan. 16—when it will air as the program’s 100th episode.

Why the almost-eight-year delay? Both Manilow and then-host Amanda Puck remember Obama’s debut as a restaurant critic came at a time when the show was still being tweaked.

And the president-elect was too good—too thoughtful, too articulate, not enough of an amateur. He ended up dominating the conversation.
“It was unbalanced,” Manilow said, “to put it charitably.”

Brat on January 8, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Is he on the Magic Bullet panel here?

“You can make a margarita in ten seconds with this thing!” – Barack Obama

NoDonkey on January 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Actually, Check Please is a pretty good show.

Let’s not confuse the message with the messenger. ;-)

aquaviva on January 8, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Yes, it is a good show. I’m not sure what the format was back then, but now everyone has a favorite restaurant and the other three “critics” review it.

As for some other things, it is a pretty ironic name considering the lack of checking the press did into his background. Amusing indeed. However, I do like the “normal” Obama and think that he’d probably be someone you’d invite over for dinner or ask to pick up your mail and think that before he became the Messiah, he was pretty endearing. Now, he’s just arrogant and creepy.

Illinidiva on January 8, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Somehow this is racist. Has anyone in Illinois’ government seen this? If its in there, they’ll find it.

blankminde on January 8, 2009 at 4:21 PM

They’re showing him with white women!!!!! That’s supposed to be racist.

InCali on January 8, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Not gonna watch the vids. But based on the captures, he sure has the eyebags of somebody who just burned a bowl. Not sure if it’s a dopey food show or dopey guest.

innominatus on January 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Is he on the Magic Bullet panel here?

“Slap Chop! (you’re gonna love my nuts!)” — Vince, the popeyed ShamWow guy.

Cuffy Meigs on January 8, 2009 at 4:30 PM

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARF!!!!!!

crazy_legs on January 8, 2009 at 4:30 PM

He does have a pretty smile…

(SNAP OUT OF IT…AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!)

Kidding

Mommypundit on January 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Nothing about waffles???? Damn!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on January 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM

holy sh*t! i know the girl in the red shirt and the glasses.

eh on January 8, 2009 at 4:36 PM

I fully expected Rerun to appear and yell “What’s happening!”, then break into the dance.

This is Raj, isn’t it?

NoDonkey on January 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I can’t watch.
If Obama shows up, I turn the TV off. My TV will be off pretty much most of the next 8 years.

Even the good shows, like Cavuto, or Fox, when the liberals show up I have to turn it off. I just can’t take it.

I’ll be working in the garden, and cutting firewood, and baking bread, cookies, pizza.

Skandia Recluse on January 8, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Does anyone else have this bizarre, suicide-inducing infliction that I have?

Whenever I see Obama, I smile. I can’t help it. I find him fascinating, in that I truly believe he is only obsessed with himself. I can’t imagine myself hating him to the degree that the left hates Bush. There’s just something about him…

He’s pretty much the opposite of Keith Olbermann for me…I literally can’t watch Olbermann speak for more than…5 seconds, he makes me want to puke. But when Obama talks, there’s just something interesting about it.

Like he’s this possessed being trying to figure out how to be human or something. Its truly strange.

jimmy the notable on January 8, 2009 at 4:38 PM

That’s because he is the anti christ and we are supposed to feel that strange magnetism toward him and then, suddenly, wrench our faces/minds away in horror because of how close we came to the precipice of deceit. Or whatever…

Mommypundit on January 8, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Just as long as He doesn’t show up on Iron Chef America.

rbj on January 8, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Given the absolute flood of Obama themed merchandise in the stores of late, I’m waiting for the Obama cereal.

Hawkins1701 on January 8, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Whenever I see Obama, I smile.

I avoid him at all costs, sort of like infomercials.

Because as with infomercials, it’s all fabricated, too-good-to-be-true crap.

You pay for it, get it home and then find out the damn ginzu knife really can’t cut through a tin can and in fact, it barely slices butter.

Then you find out it’s a big pain in the ass to send back, so you bundle the whole mess up and toss it in the garbage can, vowing you won’t be fooled again.

This country just bought a super deluxe Ginzu knife named Barack Obama and unfortunately, we won’t be able to bundle him up and throw him in the trash on January 21st.

NoDonkey on January 8, 2009 at 4:49 PM

I’m waiting for the Obama cereal.

Sugar coated poofy flakes aren’t already on the market?

NoDonkey on January 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM

The guy is Eddie Haskell.

Typhoon on January 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM

What I really want to know is if Dixie Kitchen is really authentic Louisiana cuisine or one of these places that thinks Cajun and Creole are the same thing. Whenever I visit one of these types of places, I don’t know weather to laugh or be insulted.

“Slap Chop! (you’re gonna love my nuts!)” — Vince, the popeyed ShamWow guy.

Cuffy Meigs on January 8, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I guess Vince didn’t make much money from the Underground Comedy Movie.

Lay-Z on January 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM

This could be o/t but since we are only sort of speaking about food, are there any transplanted southerners living in MA here at HotAir? My oldest Boy Wonder is living there and would really like some fried chicken, greens and sweet tea, any chance of that happening?

Cindy Munford on January 8, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Dixie Kitchen Chicago

SnarkVader on January 8, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Today’s secret ingredient is….messiah essennnnnnnceeeeeeeee.

TheBlueSite on January 8, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Dixie Kitchen….and bait shop?

JetBoy on January 8, 2009 at 5:04 PM

innominatus on January 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Dude – TOO FUNNY!

I actually think the same thing when I see him in some interviews with the press. He has the glazed eyes and sly smile of a teenager who just got baked.

Reminiscent of Billy Jeff, who always smirked when he was asked a tough question. He always seemed to be laughing at the American people.

UltimateBob on January 8, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Cindy Munford on January 8, 2009 at 4:55 PM

You might want to try Magnolia’s Southern Cuisine in Cambridge.

SnarkVader on January 8, 2009 at 5:08 PM

See, he’s quite capable ……. of being a food critic.

And sadly, that’s where he peaked.

fogw on January 8, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Dixie Kitchen sounds bass ackwards to me.

You aggies know what I’m talking about.

txsurveyor on January 8, 2009 at 5:16 PM

SnarkVader on January 8, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Thank you, I will pass it along.

Cindy Munford on January 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Okay, there’s ONE thing that the President-elect and I have in common: we both like Dixie Kitchen. I can’t speak authoritatively on whether it’s authentic but my wife from Louisiana loves the place.

furytrader on January 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM

I admit, I’m bummed that he didn’t mention arugula.

No, but he did manage to do most of the talking. That’s his style.

Tzetzes on January 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Is just me or does the chick with glasses in the first video out of central casting? What a joke!

Branch Rickey on January 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Brat on January 8, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Interesting. He was described as a real stiff dude in his 2000 campaign — couldn’t relate to the folks in Rush’s district.

Did he take acting lessons, or is he just naturally more at home chatting with white folk?

I’d say the latter, since he redrew his own (State Senator) district after losing to Rush to include less blacks and more rich white folks.

Nichevo on January 8, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I can’t watch.

Skandia Recluse on January 8, 2009 at 4:38 PM

or shoving rusty nails into my eyeballs….

Branch Rickey on January 8, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Jonny cakes, huh? Did he ever visit New Hampshire with Vito Spatafore?

JammieWearingFool on January 8, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Seems a little weird to have a restaurant in the same place where you sell worms.

SoulGlo on January 8, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Sue,the Johnny Cakes are made from cornmeal, not flour and I might add that Dixie Kitchen has the best fried green tomatoes I’ve ever eaten! Can’t say there’s much I agree with Obama on but his choice of restaurants is excellent.

robink on January 8, 2009 at 9:52 PM

This is just hilarious.

alex342 on January 8, 2009 at 10:05 PM

And now that unknown quantity is the president of the US.

abcurtis on January 9, 2009 at 10:56 AM