A note on the Weblog Awards

posted at 7:00 pm on January 8, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Allahpundit and I are getting a lot of mail about the 2008 Weblog Awards, for which this blog has been named a finalist for the Best Blog category.  Kevin Aylward and the Wizbang folks do a great job with this every year, and it’s an honor to be nominated.  They deserve a lot of credit for their hard work, which usually results in a lot of griping and not enough appreciation.

I think the best value of these awards is the opportunity it affords us to find new writers and new voices — or at least new to us.  Often we get locked into a small circle of blogs and only access others through link chains.  The Weblog Awards and their large list of finalists allow us to check out fresh sites, and how hard would it be to look at one new blog for each day of the contest?  We might be surprised by what we find.

Feel free to vote for us every day as well, of course.  It’s an honor to be nominated, and it’s fun to win, but we’re having a lot of fun anyway.

Update (AP): I couldn’t care less except to the extent that the world’s foremost Trig Truther is presently in the lead and his ego is such that he will feel validated by winning. Maybe we can get Aylward to add a “Not Sullivan” option and vote en masse for that.

Comments

good luck!

rob verdi on January 8, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Vote every day for HotAir — Best blog around.

tarpon on January 8, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Ugh… Sullivan. Gay toofers untie!

upinak on January 8, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Only down by 1200 votes or so, vote Hotair!

Theworldisnotenough on January 8, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Good idea.

INC on January 8, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Feel free to vote for us every day as well, of course.

………… isn’t that what George Soros told Al Franken supporters?

/sarc

Seven Percent Solution on January 8, 2009 at 7:06 PM

How about “Navillus Werdna” ?

Would that be the opposite?

silverfox on January 8, 2009 at 7:07 PM

That’s why I shot over an e-mail. It’s not about just you and Ed anymore. It’s society vs. Andrea Sullivan. It’s just like jihad, but for news junkies.

malan89 on January 8, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I dislike the idea of multiple votes. After visiting some of the other blogs, it becomes clear, nothing compares to HotAir.

Skandia Recluse on January 8, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Sent to it a few friends to vote on, too.

amerpundit on January 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM

If for no other reason than that it’s worth voting every day on every computer you come across (Hot Air deserves to win too, of course.). I just cannot abide Andi the Troofer winning anything.

meltenn on January 8, 2009 at 7:10 PM

If Andrew Sullivan wins then this whole blog award thing will be worth nothing.

Well, not nothing really. At least we will know that many of Andrew Sullivans readers/fans also spend time on Wizbang so they know to vote for the deranged homo in this contest.

By the way, Wizbang of sounds like some sort of word used to describe a perverted gay sex act. Maybe its fitting that Sullivan get this award then.

TheMightyQuinn on January 8, 2009 at 7:10 PM

No Acorn in this election… vote often.

Zorro on January 8, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Just to rally the troops–from Sully’s OMFGTRIGISPIPERSBABY!!!1!!! blog (I’m not linking out of pure disgust):

The Daily Dish, after a large number of votes, actually has a chance of winning the Best Blog category. Thanks so much for the support. None of this means very much in the grand scheme of things – all the finalists are well worth reading and if every HuffPost reader voted (My note:same goes for HA), we’d be buried. But if you appreciated the insane hours and seven-days-a-week work Patrick and I put into the blog in 2008, an award like this is one way of helping us (and our ad department) keep the whole show on the road. You can vote for any number of blogs here, and the Dish here. If you already voted more than 24 hours ago, you can vote again. Yes we can! (My note:What a douchebag.)

———————————

Skandia Recluse on January 8, 2009 at 7:07 PM

The rules allow you to do so. And if Sully’s boys are doing it, so are we.

malan89 on January 8, 2009 at 7:13 PM

And while you’re there, vote ExurbanLeague for Best Small Blog! We’re getting crushed by a nutroots blog right now, so we need all the help we can get!

Thank you.

ExUrbanKevin on January 8, 2009 at 7:14 PM

I almost forgot–vote from work, school, or any other IP you’re on as well.

malan89 on January 8, 2009 at 7:18 PM

It’s like voting for ourselves…

right2bright on January 8, 2009 at 7:22 PM

You guys should make this a Top Pick, if only for AP’s reasoning.

Vizzini on January 8, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Keep it stickied to the top in Top Picks until voting is over…

The Dean on January 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM

C’mon, you pansies. Excitable Andy is leading Hot Air by a 1000 votes! Get your votes in and withhold sex from your significant other until they vote, too!

flipflop on January 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Also vote for Ace in ‘Best Conservative Blog’…

The Dean on January 8, 2009 at 7:30 PM

You guys are the best blog around and they finally caught on to it where I work and blocked you. Now I have to get my fill at home.
Good luck and it’s extra sweet that you’re beating the snot out of the daily kooks.

Geronimo on January 8, 2009 at 7:33 PM

flipflop on January 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Are there enough women reading HA to make that a viable strategy?

rmel80 on January 8, 2009 at 7:35 PM

I just voted again. I thought I could only vote once.

Rose on January 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Geronimo on January 8, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Thank God they can only vote once a day. I bet the KosKids are staring at the clock salivating (amongst other bodily emissions) for midnight to come.

rmel80 on January 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Are there enough women reading HA to make that a viable strategy?

rmel80 on January 8, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Well, it should work both ways…if you’re any good at it. :-)

flipflop on January 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Ugh, this chaps my ass.

Oh wait, maybe I shouldn’t say that in a post related to hysterical Andrew.

clancy_wiggum on January 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM

rmel80 on January 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I think it goes by 24-hour period. So if you vote at noon today, you have to wait until after noon tomorrow. But either way, you’re probably right.

flipflop on January 8, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Dark, mysterious forces have conspired to place JWF in some obscure Best Large Blog category, resulting in a groundswell of support heretofore unseen since the dawn of hopenchange.

Oh, and no, I’m not granting any interviews.

JammieWearingFool on January 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Jeez…voting would be much less of an ass-ache if the site was a bit more responsive.

flipflop on January 8, 2009 at 7:42 PM

And if Sully’s boys are doing it, so are we.

malan89 on January 8, 2009 at 7:13 PM

I voted, but count me out of anything else they do.

pedestrian on January 8, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I voted, but count me out of anything else they do.

pedestrian on January 8, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I don’t even wanna know what else they do.

malan89 on January 8, 2009 at 7:49 PM

flipflop on January 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM

it’s a good thing you emphasized should.

rmel80 on January 8, 2009 at 7:49 PM

How is that Trig Truther in the lead?

Oh right, liberals have no jobs so they can surf the internet all day and vote for their favorite webblog four thousand times. After voting on People’s “Who wore the dress better: Lindsay or Britney?” poll a hundred times.

Sir Corky on January 8, 2009 at 7:50 PM

JammieWearingFool on January 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Congrats on that. Seems you’ve got a runaway victory.

jimmy the notable on January 8, 2009 at 7:54 PM

flipflop on January 8, 2009 at 7:39 PM

That’s correct, flipflop. At 6:45 each day, I go vote for HA, Ace, JWF (yeah, really) and a few other favorites.

But we have GOT to smite Excitable Andi on this one. He’s insufferable already . . . they’d have to come up with new words to describe that lunatic if he won Best Blog. Ugh.

califcon on January 8, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Oh, and no, I’m not granting any interviews.

JammieWearingFool on January 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Voted for you anyway, just to make you feel bad :)

Entelechy on January 8, 2009 at 8:22 PM

HA gets my vote three times a day. I inadvertently discovered on my laptop that my various neighbors have unsecured wireless. Their security breach is a gain to me an HA. Plus Ace, JWF, and FU Penguin. It’s all good. Good luck guys!

CInAz on January 8, 2009 at 8:33 PM

I voted you up!

Dr Evil on January 8, 2009 at 8:34 PM

i vote for hotair, everyday!

sarainitaly on January 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Oh, and no, I’m not granting any interviews.

JammieWearingFool on January 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Voted for you anyway, just to make you feel bad :)

Entelechy on January 8, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Aw, shucks. I’m humbled. Really appreciate the support, folks.

JammieWearingFool on January 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Unlike Ed and Allah, I do require the validation associated with a strong Weblog Awards finish. I’m a finalist in the Best Business Blog category and your vote will help quell my self-loathing.

flip on January 8, 2009 at 8:56 PM

HA..closing on the ‘trig truther’ very fast now…God Speed!

AUINSC on January 8, 2009 at 9:59 PM

HA is the best blog and that crazy bastid Allah gets my vote as the most creative and outrageously funny headline writer going.

I also find it most interesting that votes for the Kostard site is running waaaayy behind what I recall them to be in previous years. I recall the DoltishKos to be neck and neck with whichever conservative blog they were put against. Not so this year. Perhaps a disturbance in the force over at the facts-optional end of the leftarded blogosphere? Boo hoo.

notta_dhimmi on January 8, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I dislike the idea of multiple votes.

It helps if you pretend you’re a Democrat.

I know I’m not going to win in my category, but it would be nice not to come in last.

Jim Treacher on January 8, 2009 at 11:35 PM

You’ve got my vote(s), JT!

califcon on January 8, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Jim Treacher on January 8, 2009 at 11:35 PM

I’ve been voting for you Jim.

meltenn on January 9, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Vilmar-a nominee in best individual blog-is my blogdad.
He-with the late Allan Kelly-created “Barking Moonbat Early Warning System”-which is where my alias was born.
His new blog “Kicking and Screaming” is getting its butt handed to it in voting.
Please vote for my benevolent dictator or I’ll start whining.
*grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 9, 2009 at 1:02 AM

You guys have been my favorite for a few months now. Your closest competition (LGF) kicked me out.

Long live Hot Air!

gmoonster on January 9, 2009 at 1:36 AM

There are a lot of good blogs but I cannot imagine how much it would stink for Andy Sullivan to win this. GTF out of here and go over and vote for HotAir.

DaMav on January 9, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Hey Ed,

Former President George H W Bush, is commemorating the Nuclear aircraft carrier named after him today. He was on Imus in the Morning this morning.

Dr Evil on January 9, 2009 at 10:03 AM

I almost forgot–vote from work, school, or any other IP you’re on as well.

malan89 on January 8, 2009 at 7:18 PM

This captures exactly why these types of awards are a joke.

grdred944 on January 9, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Even so, this should be “top pick”ed.

MadisonConservative on January 9, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I did, in fact, cast several votes (one per day per IP addy, as restricted by rules) for Hot Air as Best Blog, and I did note that we really should do both the awards and the world a favor by kicking the truth-challenged Mr. Sullivan’s butt.

My own blog (Plumb Bob Blog) got nominated for Best Conservative Blog, I’m proud to say, and I’ve received just over 100 votes out of the first, oh, 16 thousand or so. Guess I’m not the best conservative blog. Who’da thunk? Oh, well, it was an unexpected honor to have been on the list at all.

philwynk on January 9, 2009 at 1:18 PM

notta_dhimmi on January 8, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Gotta’ respectfully disagree. AoS has the best headlines:

Two Top Al Qaeda Figures Killed By Vicious New Year’s Eve Hangovers And Hellfire Missiles But Mostly Hellfire Missiles
—DrewM.

Happy New Year b*tches.

Y-not on January 9, 2009 at 1:29 PM

AP losing to Sullivan, sweet irony.

Sultry Beauty on January 9, 2009 at 6:22 PM

It’ll also be cool if Ace wins along with Sullivan…

Sultry Beauty on January 9, 2009 at 6:26 PM