The obligatory “British atheist ad campaign really taking off” post

posted at 9:45 pm on January 6, 2009 by Allahpundit

The good news: They exceeded their fundraising target by 2,700 percent. The bad news: They totally wussed out by tossing “probably” in the slogan. The worst news: They couldn’t think of anything better to do with £135,000 than buy dopey ads on the side of a bus.

I’m losing faith. Or non-faith, rather.

Organisers of the four-week campaign said they had included the word “probably” because they did not want to be dogmatic in the way that so many religious leaders are…

In London they will coincide with a poster campaign on the London Underground with statements such as Emily Dickinson’s: “That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet,” and Albert Einstein’s: “I do not beieve in a personal God and have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.”

Many Christian groups and churches welcomed the campaign for putting God into such a prominent position in the public eye.

Paul Woolley, director of the religious think tank Director of Theos, said: “We think that the campaign is a great way to get people thinking about God. The posters will encourage people to consider the most important question we will ever face in our lives…

Mike Elms, a Fellow of The Marketing Society and former Chief Executive of ad agency Ogilvy and Mather, said that the campaign could play a role in the revival of Christianity.

I’ll have to remember that excuse the next time commenters start whining about atheism posts on the site. Here’s a clip of the campaign’s organizer from the Beeb last month; consider P.J. O’Rourke’s theory vindicated once again. Exit question: Bigger waste of time and mental energy — this, or the dreaded atheist symbol?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Alright, but if both of you happen to respond in the thread, I’ll be back reading (likely not responding; I got a BA, not a BS).

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Atheists are clearly a group that should be pitied.

Atheists, by their own standards, are surely considered “inferior beings” by virtue of the fact that they are unaware of the invisible world.

Does this sound crazy to you atheists…

“I pity atheists because they are unaware of the existence of the invisible world and are arrogant enough as to assume that the vast majority of people on this planet who EXPERIENCE this invisible world are crazy”.

??

If you think that’s crazy, consider this:

Consider that there is a vast amount of Space between each atom and that electrons can TELEPORT or perform Quantum Leaps with out going thru such space..

Consider that there are somewhat recently discovered objects called Neutrinos that are much smaller than any other “object”… There are an estimated 50 TRILLION(with a T) Neutrinos that pass through our bodies every second!

Consider that entire galaxies can pass through each other without even being aware of it.

You see, the invisible world(The Kingdom of God) is real, it is Intelligent and it can be experienced!

The Kingdom of God is coming soon! The day will come soon when ALL of creation will visibly see the Kingdom of God!

The Orthodox Christian Church is the advance party of the Kingdom Of God.

There is much more to reality than what you atheists imagine.

Many Orthodox Saints are TO THIS DAY witnessed to LEVITATE when praying the Jesus Prayer or performing the Liturgy…they are witnessed performing Miraculous Healings, to know people’s names without ever met them or learned it…they are even witnessed RAISING THE DEAD!!

The Orthodox Church is the advance party of the Kingdom of God, our Liturgy is the Heavenly Liturgy, our Sacraments are REAL and valid…The Orthodox Church is the Only Real,Unchanged Apostolic Church of Christ.

I’m sure you atheists may have rejected Christ because of what you heard of Christianity from protestantism or roman catholicism, but forget what you have heard from them..they are not the True and historic Christianity. In fact they have it all wrong.

Consider learning about Orthodox Christianity before you form an opinion on whether there is God or not.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM

The Orthodox Christian Church is the advance party of the Kingdom Of God.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM

…and then you will wipe your enemies from the earth. The Jews, the atheists, the infidels blah blah blah…thanks for the heads up, Dinner Jacket. Go back to studying The Protocols and listening to Alex Jones so you can prepare for the NewWorldOrderIlluminatiKnightsTemplar whatever.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 12:35 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Maybe we should cut the atheists some slack here. After all, they have conceded that “There probably is no God.” I take this to mean that they have finally caught up with the theory of quantum mechanics formulated in the 1920s. Now that they are stating reality in terms of “probabilities”, they’re only about 85 years behind the rest of us.

As for the young lady in the interview, she was “probably” hot. Of course, THAT means that she has finite probabilities of existing simultaneously in both the “hot babe” and the “dogfaced bowser” states of existence.

At that juncture, it would seem to be a good place to ask collie if he has any comments on the “matter”.

My collie says:

You realize, of course, that if I try to investigate in order to determine the young woman’s actual state of existence, my tampering will irreversably alter the outcome.

I’m not sure AllahPundit wants to take that chance. I think he has “the hots” for her.

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 12:41 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM

You miss the mark. Neutrinos can be observed (with difficulty yes, but in fact predicted by quantum mechanics before being observed). There are no Biblical references to neutrinos that I’m aware of, btw.

Galaxies that pass through each other are tidally disrupted and the effects observable. It’s not an invisible phenomenon. I’ve photographed several examples myself.

While there may be an “invisible world”, there is no observed “invisible world”. You’re making some tremendous quantum leaps in your reasoning.

On the other hand, if you can come to my house and levitate before my eyes I would be impressed. I’d still be looking for a physical explanation, but I’d be impressed.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Wishes being real can have an incredibly tiny but potentially measurable effect on the state to which the probability wave collapses. If you let the dog perform the experiment she’s slightly more likely to come out looking like a dog.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 12:48 PM

You show a massive misunderstanding of the nature of electron wavefunctions. You’re not even close.

Xolom on January 7, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I for one agree, man-made global warming appears to be politically motivated bunk.

However, it’s nowhere nearly as well supported by evidence as the theory of biological evolution (off by several orders of magnitude at least). Man-made global warming also has alternative theories which don’t require invoking the supernatural or relying on literal interpretations of bronze-ages texts. Here is where your analogy breaks down.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 11:34 AM

But that’s exactly my point. While we’re in agreement that global warming is nonsense, your claim that the evidence for it isn’t nearly as strong as it is for evolution doesn’t hold up. We have claims from people, including people with advanced science degrees claiming man made global warming IS a fact, supported by mountains of evidence. “Consensus”, “the debate is over”, etc. etc. While you and I agree, that is all crap, and the evidence isn’t there… These claims by warmists mirror those put forth by evolutionists. I personally see the silliness of both, while you only see it when it comes to warming… but that’s more of a personal opinion and interpretation of evidence.

So again, your reply simply proves my point.

RightWinged on January 7, 2009 at 12:57 PM

The Orthodox Church is the Only Real,Unchanged Apostolic Church of Christ.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Saint, what about the so-called “Christians” here that aren’t followers of the Orthodox Church? If they don’t change their ways they’re going to hell with the rest of us, right?

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I’ve photographed several examples myself.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Got pictures online?

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 1:04 PM

The Orthodox Church is the Only Real,Unchanged Apostolic Church of Christ. SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Except for all the non-apostolic accretions, like the use of incense (5th century according to Schmemann).

Akzed on January 7, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Why would an atheist believe this? Hell, I’m a wishy-washy half-a**ed agnostic, and I think this is a dumb statement.

Is there a god, isn’t there a god, is there an afterlife? Is Santa real? These aren’t important questions to me. And if you’re convinced there is no God (or no Santa) then the question is in fact considerably less important isn’t it?

Lets say tomorrow you found out that 90% of the people you know think that when they die, they’ll come back as cat-men on a planet on the other side of the universe… does it matter? Does it in any way impact your life that they believe this? Heck, does it impact their lives that they’re likely incorrect? If you could prove them incorrect, would it make a difference?

… to these and many other questions; the answer is “NO”.

Being wrong about something you cannot definitively know, cannot prove or disprove, and has no effect until after you’re dead is THE most important question you will EVER face? How exactly?

Especially given the assumption that you’re an atheist; wouldn’t being wrong about God be the least important question compared to any of these?

gekkobear on January 7, 2009 at 1:08 PM

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I think he says yes on that one.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 1:08 PM

gekkobear on January 7, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Well, if God does exist, and there is an after life, then it’s considerably longer than the one we have here and thus more important at least in a practical sense. So I’d say, ultimately, no.

But I agree with everything else you wrote.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 1:11 PM

You’re not even close.

Xolom

Actually you’re wrong. I see you deny that quantum leaps exist when it’s convienent for you..

That’s all atheism is for you atheists…a philosophy of convienence.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Xolom on January 7, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Note he seems to have absolute faith in that version of quantum mechanics, but rules out evolution as utterly absurd.

Ain’t it cute? It’s like watching a mouse run in a wheel.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 1:15 PM

RightWinged on January 7, 2009 at 12:57 PM

No. I’m saying I don’t believe it (man-made global warming hypothesis) because I don’t see the balance of evidence supporting it.

I try my best to avoid an emotional response and just consider the available evidence, as well as the coherence of the theory it alleged to support. In one case I find the evidence strongly convincing (evolution), in the other I find it mostly unconvincing (man-made global warming). I don’t just believe something because my mommy or somebody with a title says so, I try to rationally evaluate the evidence presented as best I can in the time available to do so. What I find plausible I accept as possible, what I find implausible I categorize as unlikely.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Akzed on January 7, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Sorry bro you’re wrong. Try again. The use of incense is an ancient practice mentioned in the earliest books of the Bible.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 1:19 PM

…How is it more important than deciding where to work, or where to live, or what job to take, or who to date/marry?

gekkobear on January 7, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Following your line of reasoning, it would appear that the important question we are faced with is how SHOULD one live his or her life in the here and now, n’est-ce pas? What should we use for the “criteria” and what are the helpful “guideposts” for attaining “fulfillment” (pusuit of happiness, and such).

Also based on your line of reasoning, you appear to concede that we are ALL faced with CHOICES every single day of our lives — and these choices that we make either positively or negatively affect the outcome — either from our own perspective, or from the perspective of others, or from the perspective of society at large.

My collie says:

Do we misunderstand your position?

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 1:21 PM

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Not necessarily.

That’s not how Salvation works.

Salvation is a process that continues even after death.

Just because they hold some heresies does not necessarily mean they can not experience Salvation.

You could say this about dead protestants and Roman catholics..”they may have not been Orthodox before they died…but they are now”!

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Got pictures online?

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 1:04 PM

No, just in my local archives. I’ll try to post some online somewhere public and let you know if your interested though.

Astrophography is one of my passions, but unfortunately very difficult to practice here in Shanghai. I have to drive a few hours out of town for a suitable location and my equipment (which I did bring over) takes a truck to move and an hour at least for setup and tear-down, so I’ve only made the attempt a few times in the 3 years I’ve been here.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 1:25 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Hard to argue with that.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 1:26 PM

thinkagain on January 7, 2009 at 2:52 AM

I don’t know anything about you, other than you have a disdain for those of us who believe in God. I’d be interested to know if you are politically conservative or not. If you are, I’d be interested to know how you feel about Bobby Jindal.

Thinking must hurt you theists’ heads so I’m sure you do very little of it.

The superiority complex of many atheists gets very tiresome. I suppose I should feel sorry for them, having to put up with all the mindless drones they have to deal with, you know, like Joseph Ratzinger, aka Pope Benedict XVI. Have you read some of the things he’s written? Clearly the man never thinks! Just like Pope JPII, G.K. Chesterton, Max Plank, (you know him, the obviously non-thinking physicist who gave us quantum physics), Mendel, Descartes, Newton, more recently, Dr. Francis Collins who is in charge of the Human Genome project or UC Santa Cruz’s Dr. Joel Primack who has developed a theory on the origins of the universe, the cold dark matter theory… Honestly, they seem to be everywhere; it must be awful for the superior atheists to have anything to do with all these non-thinkers.

To say there’s “no proof” for these scientific theories is to argue from ignorance.

If the theory of evolution, as atheists view it, was proven by science, it would have ceased being a ‘theory’. The fact is, there are huge gaps in the theory that science can not fill, no matter how hard it tries. Further, the more they try, the more evidence convinces many of the possibility, even probability of a greater intelligence, ie God.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible laws and connections, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. To that extent I am, in fact, religious.”~ Einstein. Posted by unclesmrgol on January 6, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Or the evidence that has come from botanists studying the DNA of plants that helped convert the famed atheist Antony Flew, who I believe was a mentor of Dawkins, coincidentally, if I’m not mistaken. Flew says it “has shown, by the almost unbelievable complexity of the arrangements which are needed to produce (life), that intelligence must have been involved.” “Has Science Discovered God?”

Actually, a survey that came out in 2005 showed that some 2/3 of all scientists believe in God in some form, be it the Judeo-Christian or simply a greater intelligence. Either way, they are scientists and they are not atheists, so enough with the non-thinking, science-bashing theist crap.

Meanwhile religion hasn’t provided one shred of evidence for their superstitious beliefs and their theoretical god as well as the imaginary entities that come with it-angels, heaven, hell, demons and so on.

I disagree. There is evidence all around. It may not be conclusive (to your standard), but then again, neither is the evidence for an unaided evolution theory. For example The Shroud of Turin is still a mystery. The testing dating it at middle ages has been shown to be erroneous due to scientists taking a sample from a piece that had been repaired at some point. Regardless, science can not explain how the image came to be there. Proof? Not conclusive, but it is definitely evidence supporting a belief. Medical miracles go completely unexplained by doctors and science. Again, not scientific proof, but definitely evidence.

Regarding demons, are you aware that there has been an explosion in the exorcism business? You may scoff, but the people undergoing them and performing them have evidence supporting their belief. I have a friend who told me of a first hand account of demonic possession in his room at the school he attended. Every time he went in, the Crucifix would be turned upside down. It was a private room and he said he always locked it before he left. Curiously, he was studying to be a priest. He had the room exorcised and it never happened again.

The thing about evidence is it isn’t always as clear as that against OJ; that’s where faith comes in. But as the OJ case showed, and things like human life beginning at the moment of conception, sometimes people refuse to accept the evidence even when it is right in their face.

There are cultures who don’t share Christian values yet somehow manage to live in the same amount of peace and harmony as we do.

Well, this thread is more about the belief that there is no God at all, rather than which view of God is correct, and I would be willing to bet that the peaceful and harmonious cultures have some sort of belief in a more powerful entity, ie God. If there is a harmonious and completely atheistic society that I don’t know about, I’d be quiet interested to read about them.

Those of you who are atheists say that it doesn’t take a God to make one moral, because you see yourselves as moral (and I don’t dispute that) and you do not believe in God. The thing is, I, as a believer, see that as evidence of God. Ones conscience and the nearly universal understanding of what is right and wrong, not killing, stealing, raping, etc…I believe it was written in our very being by God. C. S. Lewis explains it much more eloquently than I ever could. If you haven’t read Mere Christianity, it might be interesting, even if not converting.

Sorry about the monster post. :*) Peace.

pannw on January 7, 2009 at 1:28 PM

That’s all atheism is for you atheists…a philosophy of convienence.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Have you ever taken a physical chemistry course?

Seven Seas on January 7, 2009 at 1:28 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I frequently lurk (and read stuff) at both Catholic and Protestant web sites (mostly for their historical value). I would be interested to know if the Orthodox church has any good web sites with historical information.

My collie says:

Can you point us to any good stuff?

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Salvation is a process that continues even after death.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 1:23 PM

That’s good to know. I guess I’ll convert after death then. Are there any absolute limits I should be aware of in the mean time?

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 1:28 PM

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Shanghai, wow. I so want to travel right now, but I’m still saving up. What are you doing over there anyway?

And yes, definitely interested. You can almost always find me in an atheist thread when you put them online. I enjoy these discussions, have since mid high school really.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Are there any absolute limits I should be aware of in the mean time?

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 1:28 PM

You can not simultaneously know both the position and the momentum of a sub-atomic particle.

As you approach the speed of light, your entire body will be converted to energy, time will stop, and the universe will appear to be two-dimensional. I happens right around 300000000 meters per second (or 186,000 miles per second, if you prefer the Old English system).

There are others. Should we continue?

My collie says:

No need to thank us. Just bein’ neighborly.

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 1:38 PM

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Wrong, stop getting your science from newsweek.

Seven Seas on January 7, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Wrong, stop getting your science from newsweek.

Seven Seas on January 7, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Okay, clue me in oh great sage of wisdom.

My collie says:

I’ve long suspected that Discover magazine was as bad as Newsweek.

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I pretend to manage a software test department for a US-based company with a few R&D groups here.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Did I forget to mention that a body becomes infinitely massive as you approach the speed of light?

How fallible of you, CC.

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 1:46 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 1:19 PM

So is animal sacrifice. His point is that it’s a non-apostolic tradition, which is true. There are only two ordinances required under apostolic Christianity: baptism and communion. All other liturgy and traditions are additions which can be adopted or not, but are not necessary conditions for orderly worship.

spmat on January 7, 2009 at 1:47 PM

You messed up the heisenberg uncertainty principle. You can know both the momentum and position of a particle, but to a limited degree (dx times dp = half of planck’s constant to be exact.) It’s not a limitation of our abilities to measure but it’s a limitation of the system itself.

Seven Seas on January 7, 2009 at 1:47 PM

As you approach the speed of light, your entire body will be converted to energy, time will stop, and the universe will appear to be two-dimensional.There are others. Should we continue?

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I’m at rest. Everything’s normal, except your clock seems to be running very quickly and you have a strong reddish tint.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Seven Seas on January 7, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Please forgive me. It’s only been 30 years since I studied that stuff. It’s not like the Bible ya’ know. I read that everyday.

Perhaps a more accurate statement would be that the more accurately that one knows the position of a particle, the less certainty that one has about the momentum, and visa -versa.

My collie says:

The only certainty that I care about is whether or not I get my dinner tonight.

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Which is to say that you cannot know them.

spmat on January 7, 2009 at 1:54 PM

How fallible of you, CC.
CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I only approach infinite mass but never actually attain it.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 1:55 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I didn’t say it was not biblical, I said that Schmemann acknowledges that it was not ecclesial until the 5th century when it was introduced to please pagan converts who liked it.

Akzed on January 7, 2009 at 1:55 PM

…it was not ecclesial until the 5th century when it was introduced to please pagan converts who liked it.

Akzed on January 7, 2009 at 1:55 PM

My collie says:

I thought that it was us dogs that insisted upon it. The olfactory sense rules, ya’ know.

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 2:05 PM

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Pagan are dogs you dumb mutt.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 2:09 PM

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I personally know some very trust worthy people who have witnessed such a phenomenom.

There is a Greek Orthodox Priest in greece who is a fool for Christ..

He is not very educated and in fact has problems even performing the Liturgy correctly sometimes, but when he performs the Liturgy He often LEVITATES several feet above the ground!

He always gets very embarassed and apologizes when it happens.

This happens TODAY and is witnessed by thousands and thousands of people.

Many of these Orthodox Saints, after years and years spent practicing the Jesus Prayer and fasting are witnessed LEVITATING, performing Miraculous Healings and RAISING THE DEAD!

Many modern Orthodox Saints are witnessed to have performed over 200,000 miracles each!!

Are all the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of witnesses lying?

That’s a pretty arrogant and unrealistic proposition.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 2:05 PM

you might find this article about the anthropic principle interesting…

If these cosmic traits were just slightly altered, life as we know it would be impossible. A few examples:

• Stars like the sun produce energy by fusing two hydrogen atoms into a single helium atom. During that reaction, 0.007 percent of the mass of the hydrogen atoms is converted into energy, via Einstein’s famous e = mc2 equation. But if that percentage were, say, 0.006 or 0.008, the universe would be far more hostile to life. The lower number would result in a universe filled only with hydrogen; the higher number would leave a universe with no hydrogen (and therefore no water) and no stars like the sun.

link

right4life on January 7, 2009 at 2:21 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM

when I think of someone levitating…I think of the exorcist….some things are not normative for christians, and thats one of them….

right4life on January 7, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Pagan are dogs you dumb mutt.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 2:09 PM

My collie says:

Barack Obama may openly admit that he’s “a mutt”, but I assure you sir that there’s nothing wrong with my pedigree.

And as for being dumb, I can assure you that collie talks all the time.

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 2:26 PM

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Sounds kinda exciting if you know what you’re doing.

I’m a few steps above data entry. My team writes descriptions for television programs. TLC actually gave me pause now and then, with programs like Half Ton Man and Harlequin Twins. Weird stuff.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Faith of a mustard seed and all… Though I believe that what we describe as miracles actually do have a scientific explanation. I believe that the Creator simply abides by the rules he created, only as the creator knows far more about the rules than we do, making it look impossible when it actually is not.

I think that’s what Jesus meant when he said that his disciples would do what he did and more.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 2:30 PM

His point is that it’s a non-apostolic tradition

Wrong. It is not a non Apostolic tradition.

The Divine Liturgy of St. James is the first liturgy and the oldest liturgy that exists.

The Liturgy of St. James was taught to St. James the Just by Christ Himself!
It is the liturgy that is mentioned being used by the Apostles in the book of acts several times and it is quoted from in the Bible.

Yes it contains incense.

This Liturgy was the original Liturgy and it was the basis for the Liturgy of St. Mark and the Liturgy of St. Peter who adapted it for their own use on their missionary endeavors.

The Divine Liturgy was in existence several hundred years before the Holy Bible was canonized by the Orthodox Church.

In fact, the Holy Bible was canonized by the Orthodox Church and the books which were used were determined by whether it agreed with the Divine Liturgy and also which books were quoted in it.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:32 PM

There is a Greek Orthodox Priest in greece who is a fool for Christ..

There are also credible Hindus who can confirm reincarnations. Believe it on hearsay? Not me.

He always gets very embarassed and apologizes when it happens.

Maybe he’s sitting on a natural gas pulse jet. That would be consistent with the embarassment.

Can they raise any dead? If so this could easily be tested and verified in a repeatable way.

Are all the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of witnesses lying?

Not necessarily. I suspect mostly self-deluded. But let’s put it to some rigorous, verifiable and repeatable testing under controlled conditions.

You have to keep in mind many branches of various religions have similar claims. If you want to be the One Truth you have to be more credible than them.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 2:33 PM

RightWinged on January 7, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Yes, we are going around in circles, because for the 3rd time you have said that if you were an Atheist, you would live a life of debauchery. It follows that only fear of retribution from God keeps you in line. I, on the other hand, am a contributing member of society with no need for God to keep me from BBQing babies and defrauding pensioners. Also, you have not addressed that the religious are neither more or less likely to be a bunch of jackasses and live lives of excess.

Look, like I said before, if your belief system (which includes divine retribution) is all that separates YOU from a life not worth living, then keep on keepin’ on.

Also, partial out of context quotes from a number of groups who think the world is around 10,000 years old aren’t worthy of a click.

Krydor on January 7, 2009 at 2:36 PM

It is a fact that is often hidden in some of the protestants terrible and false interpretations of the Bible (NIV for instance)..

The word “minister” is often used to cover up the fact of the Liturgy.

The actual word is Liturgy, and liturgist etc.

The Holy Bible mentions the Apostles performing the Liturgy numerous times and EVEN QUOTES IT!

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:37 PM

That would make for excellent TV.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 2:40 PM

right4life on January 7, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Really? Tell that to Christ.

What exactly was it that He was doing when He was levitating above the water? He told St. Peter to do it also.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:40 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Walking on water isn’t necessarily levitation.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 2:42 PM

And as for being dumb, I can assure you that collie talks all the time.

CyberCipher on January 7, 2009 at 2:26 PM

My favorite dog was a half-collie mutt with a minor speech impediment, but I know they can talk.

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Walking on water isn’t necessarily levitation.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Really?

How is it exactly that one walks in the open water in the middle of the sea? I’m sure you’re aware that water is not a hard substance..

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:45 PM

“Probably no God”
They used “probably” just in case

Bevan on January 7, 2009 at 2:46 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I’m sure you’re aware that air is not either. What makes you assume that one can walk on one and not the other?

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I’m not going to argue about whether walking on water is levitation or not…it obviously is.

Regardless..what was it that Christ was doing when He levitated and ascended to Heaven?

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:48 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I’m sure you’re aware that water freezes.

Heh, I lied. I’m not at all sure you know that.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 2:49 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Obviously. When animals and objects float on the water, that’s not floating, it’s levitation. You’re so smart, you’ll have to be carted off to a FEMA camp so you can’t enlighten us all with “da troof”.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 2:51 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I think that is his point about it being levitation.

pannw on January 7, 2009 at 2:51 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Of course. I forgot. You know all. I know nothing, and you have no need to explain yourself to a peon like me. I lost my place for a second, but it won’t happen again.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 2:52 PM

You don’t really add anything to the conversation Madison.

Why do you insist on commenting on every religion thread.

You’re just a scoffer pure and simple.

Your life must be very depressing.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:54 PM

You’re just a scoffer pure and simple.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:54 PM

At people who spout conspiracy theories and cite fraudulent books used by the likes of Hitler and Dinner Jacket? You bet I do, bub. Your conversations and your ridiculous delusions of grandeur are pure vaudeville gold, and I like to let you know that the entertainment is most appreciated.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I think that is his point about it being levitation.

pannw on January 7, 2009 at 2:51 PM

That water isn’t solid and thus cannot be walked upon but air, which offers significantly less resistance, can be walked upon?

Sorry, still not making sense to me.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 2:58 PM

You don’t really add anything to the conversation Madison.

Why do you insist on commenting on every religion thread.

You’re just a scoffer pure and simple.

Your life must be very depressing.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Surely you realize that people think the same of you. I can’t be the first one to bring this possibility to your attention.

You rail about being a part of the only one true church, claim that everyone else is a heretic and refuse to even debate at times. You don’t want to talk with people, you want to talk to us.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 3:01 PM

You don’t want to talk with people, you want at talk to us.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 3:01 PM

More precise.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Really? Tell that to Christ.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 2:40 PM

He can do anything obviously…I’m just not aware of Paul, or anyone else doing it in the Bible….

right4life on January 7, 2009 at 3:04 PM

(You must have enough info for a book by now Allah.)
As an atheist, why oh why would I care about any religion unless it affected my life adversly. Islamist extremists have affected my life adversly and are the only religion I have a problem with.
In my opinion (now PLEASE don’t take offense here) a reliion is no different than any other group or social organization. Atheism, to me, doesn’t mean seeking out and destroying religion. That is just stupid.

oakpack on January 7, 2009 at 3:05 PM

and again, my point it that is it not normative…where I would argue speaking in tongues IS normative, for example…its not a gift of the Spirit…or really ever mentioned…

right4life on January 7, 2009 at 3:07 PM

oakpack on January 7, 2009 at 3:05 PM

tell that to Dawkins…

right4life on January 7, 2009 at 3:07 PM

HOW OLD IS THE ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN CHURCH?

If you are a Lutheran, your religion was founded by Martin Luther, an ex-monk of the Catholic Church, in the year 1517.

If you belong to the Church of England, your religion was founded by King Henry VIII in the year 1534 because the Pope would not grant him a divorce with the right to remarry.

If you are a Presbyterian, your religion was founded by John Knox in Scotland in the year 1560.

If you are a Congregationalist, your religion originated with Robert Brown in Holland in 1582.

If you are a Baptist, you owe the tenets of your religion to John Smyth, who launched it in Amsterdam in 1606.

If you are of the Dutch Reformed Church, you recognize Michelis Jones as founder, because he originated your religion in New York in 1628.

If you are a Protestant Episcopalian, your religion is an offshoot of the Church of England, founded by Samuel Seabury in the American colonies in the 17th century.

If you are a Methodist, your religion was founded by John and Charles Wesley in England in 1774.

If you are a Unitarian, Theopolis Lindley founded your church in London in 1774.

If you are a Roman Catholic, your church shared the same rich apostolic and doctrinal heritage as the Orthodox Church for the first thousand years of its history; since during the first millennium they were one and the same Church. Lamentably, in 1054, the Pope of Rome broke away from the other four Apostolic Patriarchates (Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem), by unilaterally altering the original Creed of the Church and considering himself to be the universal head of the Church. Thus, your church was founded in the year 1054.

If you are a Mormon (Latter-Day Saints), Joseph Smith started your religion in Palmyra, New York in 1829.

If you are a muslim your “religion” is not really a different religion but is a Christian heresy. Islam was founded on the teachings of an excommunicated Christian monk who taught mohammed. Thus your sect was founded over 600 years after Christ.

If you are a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Movement, your history began (1844) with the Baptist preacher William Miller, followed by James and Ellen White in 1863.

If you worship with the Salvation Army, your sect began with William Booth in London in 1865.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses began with Charles Taze Russell in 1872.

If you are Christian Scientist, you look to 1879 as the year your religion was born and to Mrs. Mary Baker Eddy as its founder.

If you belong to one of the religious organizations known as “Church of the Nazarene”, “Pentecostal Gospel”, “Independent Bible Church“,”Evangelical Free Church” or “Holiness Church”, your religion is one of the hundreds of new sects founded by men within the past hundred years.

If you are an ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN, your Church was instituted by Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and His Apostles in the year 33. This was the beginning of the Christian Era. There is no time in this Era when the Orthodox Church did not exist and there has been no interruption in the life of the Church up to this present day. The Orthodox Church continues to hold its Treasury of Christian Faith and Truth, Sacred Scripture, Holy Tradition, and Liturgical Worship unchanged! The Orthodox Church is in fact the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church, and its age is the same as that of Christianity itself. Jesus Christ is the Head of His Church which is guided by the Holy Spirit unto the ages of ages. Amen!

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I’m just not aware of Paul, or anyone else doing it in the Bible….

right4life on January 7, 2009 at 3:04 PM

St Peter did it. Christ commanded him to.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM

More precise.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I think you meant “to talk at us” and, yes you’re correct, that is more precise.

Christ commanded him to.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM

He commanded him to walk on water, not float over it.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 3:07 PM

And if you’re a Jew, your religion is even older. So does that make Jews better?

All Christian churches point to Christ as their founder just as you do. Just because you claim to have the high ground, it does not make it so.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 3:12 PM

St Peter did it. Christ commanded him to.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM

once…name another time Peter did it.

right4life on January 7, 2009 at 3:12 PM

IF YOU DON’T BELONG TO MY CHURCH, YOU’RE ALL PAGAN INFIDEL SINNING FOOLS!!! JOIN BEFORE THE NEXT CRUSADE BEGINS!!!

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Paraphrased for brevity.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 3:13 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 3:07 PM

the catholics would say the same…so? a man founded my religion…His name is Jesus…

right4life on January 7, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Paraphrased for brevity.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Thanks. I didn’t feel like reading the whole thing.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 3:12 PM

D’OH!

My kingdom for an edit button.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM

and catholics would think YOUR church was founded in 1054…

right4life on January 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM

and catholics would think YOUR church was founded in 1054…

right4life on January 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM

It doesn’t matter if they think that.

It’s a historical FACT that the Roman Catholics CHANGED the creed and therefore became a different religion.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM

My kingdom for an edit button.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM

No joke. That’s the one thing missing from this site (and maybe a squelch button).

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM

You’re right, I take it back. My Suzuki for an edit button. The kingdom for an ignore feature. Or at least an easy report feature.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 3:20 PM

once…name another time Peter did it.

right4life on January 7, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Yeah,I’ll give credit where it’s due…Esthier did hit the nail on the head when she said that Christ said we would do greater works than these.

He meant what He said.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM

He meant what He said.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM

sorry, I don’t think levitating is one of those ‘works’ its kind of like the catholic apparititions of mary…kind of creepy…

right4life on January 7, 2009 at 3:23 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Hey, stopped clocks and all, right?

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Or even something as stupid as the rating system on youtube where posts with -6 or lower can just be hidden. I mean sure, sometimes you’re in the mood to go all out be called names and send them right back, but usually, I can do without being compared to a prostitute.

Then again, the geek in me wants avatars that can fight each other when the debates dissolve into insanity. Hot Air, the MMORPG.

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 3:33 PM

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I am glad that you find comfort in the tenets and liturgy of your denomination. But, to insist that it is the only true way is narrow-minded, to say the least. Jesus showed us the way by his words and actions. He said,

John 14:6 – Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.

He also said,

John 15:12 – “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.”

These things are important. Too many people get lost in the details in trying to find their way to a relationship with Him.

kingsjester on January 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Time to set up some macros and hire a few chinese post farmers.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Well if God be the God of your bloodthirsty death cults, responsible for so much death and persecution throughout the years with impunity, then I want nothing to do with him.

The core of the atheist: anger at “God”, not disbelief of God.

Just as easy to start a death cult if you have no fear of eternal punishment.

Atheists don’t lack faith, they have their own, a “faith” that God does not exist. That God does or doesn’t exist is likely not to be proven for some time, if ever. Humans spend way to much time being certain of things they can’t prove, rather than simply accepting it as a personal belief, and use it to better their own life. Worry less about turning others.

An ant likely doesn’t imagine or recognize outer space, but it is there right above them, and they can’t see it. They are too limited.

Don’t put too much faith in humanity being any better.

/Agnostic

Saltyron on January 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Even atheists? If Christians scream “Oh My God,” isn’t that blasphemy?

Tanya on January 6, 2009 at 10:26 PM

All he said was “‘That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah’”

Saltyron on January 7, 2009 at 4:09 PM

kingsjester on January 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM

One of the big differences with that kind of Christianity is…there are no instructions on actually HOW to do this within protestantism.

They talk about it vaguely but do not tell you HOW.

The Orthodox DO tell us how to overcome the Passions and reach Theosis(Deification).

The fact is, the protestants have not produced ONE SAINT..
The Orthodox produce countless Saints TO THIS DAY!

The reason why, is because the protestants do not have the HOLY TRADITION or the Sacraments, nor the lives and example of the Saints.

The Orthodox Church has the HOLY TRADITION, hagiography(lives and writings of the Saints), the Holy Scriptures and most importantly the CORRECT interpretations of the Holy Scriptures.

Without the correct interpretations, the Holy Tradition, the Sacraments and the example of the Saints…one is lost.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM

DarkCurrent on January 7, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Again, DarkCurrent you’re completely missing the point, (and I’m not even sure what your “mommy/daddy” comment is about?).

I’m not going to repeat myself, because you completely missed the point twice, and I don’t now how to make it any clearer than I did last time, so I’ll simply link to my last comment again:

RightWinged on January 7, 2009 at 4:43 PM

This guy must have missed the recent studies that show churchgoers are generally more happy and enjoying thier lives more than non-churchgoers. And they have happier marriages and better sex lives. So, I think there is a false assumption somewhere within this message.

Here’s my slogan. Believe in God and go to church; you’ll get better sex.

Now that would sell.

RedSoxNation on January 7, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Here’s my slogan. Believe in God and go to church; you’ll get better sex.

Now that would sell.

RedSoxNation on January 7, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Wow.

You might as well leave out the God and Church part and start a brothel.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 5:39 PM

CyberCipher

Edit: Deleting obvious and nearly mandatory “Yo Mama” joke out of disgust with myself.

gekkobear on January 7, 2009 at 5:51 PM

You might as well leave out the God and Church part and start a brothel.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Red, what you didn’t realize is that Saint thinks sex is sinful and only useful for procreation and even then I don’t think you’re supposed to enjoy it.

Time to set up some macros and hire a few chinese post farmers.

MadisonConservative on January 7, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Cheater. Not that I’ve any room to judge. I’m currently using one for Asheron’s Call, but that place is a ghost town these days (though that doesn’t mean we don’t have a Barack Obama who thinks mocking McCain’s POW status is cool).

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 5:56 PM

gekkobear on January 7, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Did you at least have a good one?

Esthier on January 7, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Certainly sex outside of marriage is sinful.

Marriage is a Holy SACRAMENT of the Church.

Sex is a gift of God to be fully enjoyed and experienced only within mar­riage. The marriage bed is to be kept “undefiled” (He­brews 13:4), and men and women are called to remain celibate outside of marriage.

SaintOlaf on January 7, 2009 at 6:28 PM

RightWinged

Repetition of your polarized opinion will not make it any more factual. The fact is that you totally ignore any rational explanation of why what you claim about science in general is fallacious and illustrates how you seem to view anything that might threaten either your faith or your faith-based opinion with a simplistic and polarized view.
All of the arguments you have made against evolution have, can be and are made against other theories that have stood up to testing so far. These theories include gravity, heliocentric solar systems, vaccinations, plate tectonics and viruses as the source of many deceases.
Yes, there are people who deny any or all of those theories of science for many of the same reason you reject evolution.
As a further example of why your outlook is simply polarized against that which you have a personal opinion against is your simplistic outlook about science in general. You have lumped theories together that you personally do not believe in. Contrary to your outlook, all theories stand on their own as far as their viability, verisimilitude or verifiable nature under decades of testing.
If, for some reason, a new theory of plate tectonics was replaced with a new theory or proven wrong, it would have no bearing on the theories of evolution, gravity and so on.
Global warming can be proven wrong and not affect any other theory at all. Claiming that theories are wrong for the same biased and questionable reasons you cite is a simplistic way of dismissing that which you personally do not like.
Beyond that, you seem to have just ignored the vast differences in both theories. Global warming is relatively new and lacks a large amount of substantial data (historical), hence the current and ongoing arguments. Evolution is not just a theory restricted to evolution.
Evolution has and does affect the biological sciences and has been backed up by genetic research. Take for example the proof found in the human chromosome when compared to the rest of the primate world (46 versus 48 respectively).
To try to simplistically dismiss such a large body of supportive evidence is a typical argument of xian apologists, but not one from a rational point of view.

Gene Splicer on January 7, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Gene Splicer… sorry bud, but you’re completely missing the point too, and as I told the other one, there’s not really any point in repeating myself if you didn’t get it already. You’re either being deliberately dishonest or your blind faith in evolution is causing you to miss the point. Oh well, I can’t help you.

RightWinged on January 7, 2009 at 8:29 PM