The obligatory “British atheist ad campaign really taking off” post

posted at 9:45 pm on January 6, 2009 by Allahpundit

The good news: They exceeded their fundraising target by 2,700 percent. The bad news: They totally wussed out by tossing “probably” in the slogan. The worst news: They couldn’t think of anything better to do with £135,000 than buy dopey ads on the side of a bus.

I’m losing faith. Or non-faith, rather.

Organisers of the four-week campaign said they had included the word “probably” because they did not want to be dogmatic in the way that so many religious leaders are…

In London they will coincide with a poster campaign on the London Underground with statements such as Emily Dickinson’s: “That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet,” and Albert Einstein’s: “I do not beieve in a personal God and have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.”

Many Christian groups and churches welcomed the campaign for putting God into such a prominent position in the public eye.

Paul Woolley, director of the religious think tank Director of Theos, said: “We think that the campaign is a great way to get people thinking about God. The posters will encourage people to consider the most important question we will ever face in our lives…

Mike Elms, a Fellow of The Marketing Society and former Chief Executive of ad agency Ogilvy and Mather, said that the campaign could play a role in the revival of Christianity.

I’ll have to remember that excuse the next time commenters start whining about atheism posts on the site. Here’s a clip of the campaign’s organizer from the Beeb last month; consider P.J. O’Rourke’s theory vindicated once again. Exit question: Bigger waste of time and mental energy — this, or the dreaded atheist symbol?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

First of many

TexasDan on January 6, 2009 at 9:51 PM

There’s probably no God

An unsure atheist. Isn’t that technically an agnostic?

Guardian on January 6, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Bwahahaha!!!

Nice Star Trek ripoff.

darclon on January 6, 2009 at 9:55 PM

There’s probably no God
An unsure atheist. Isn’t that technically an agnostic?

Guardian on January 6, 2009 at 9:52 PM

They are hedging their bets.

Johan Klaus on January 6, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Stop worrying and enjoy your life

Worrying means you have fear. If you are fearful you can’t enjoy your life.

Being a Christian means you have not fear but joy. There is no real need to worry if you believe.

So to tell someone to stop worrying and enjoy life from an atheistic standpoint is actually a paradox. It’s when you denounce God that the worrying should start.

Guardian on January 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM

When that terrorist in London blew up the bus in London……..

……….. I wonder who or what the wounded and dying were praying to or for?

“Please don’t help me non-god, please don’t look over my children, please don’t let me survive this, and what ever you do, please make sure this happens again, and my soul is sent to oblivion……?”

Seven Percent Solution on January 6, 2009 at 10:04 PM

If they had big brass ones, they would have put this on the bumper stickers,

darclon on January 6, 2009 at 10:05 PM

What makes these pinheads think I’m worried?

CurtZHP on January 6, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I don’t mind your atheist posts at all. You make great points in this post.

What I do mind is your ignorance of Christian theology.

Keep in mind how many people in the US are Christian and subscribe to your same political ideologies. I probably know as much or more about supply side economics or the electoral college process as you do but you seem to fall short in areas of Christian theology.

Study up my friend. That post on “Church to ex-congregant: End your affair or we’ll publicly humiliate you” was kind of a kick in the nuts.

The balance of grace and truth are something most Christians are familiar with and this story was not descriptive of the typical American Church goer.

fudgypup on January 6, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Let’s see how committed the atheists really are to spreading their message, put this on the side of a few London buses:

“There’s probably no Allah so quit worrying about your virgins and enjoy life.”

Bishop on January 6, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Heh. The hot chicks were always Christian or Jewish in the past, and then the Lebanese showed us some dolly girls during the Cedar Revolution, or whatever false alarm that was.

But this girl with the squeaky voice is kinda hot. PJ strikes again? Maybe, but I doubt it. There are 20 nicer looking women at my church.

Jaibones on January 6, 2009 at 10:13 PM

An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support.
- John Buchan

MB4 on January 6, 2009 at 10:14 PM

An unsure atheist. Isn’t that technically an agnostic?

Guardian on January 6, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Technically no. You have to have a basis on which to have belief in the probable nonexistence. Agnostics simply request proof one way or another, and if they receive it, they cease to be agnostic.

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Nobody can be sure if God or afterlife exists, but if God exists I wouldn’t insult him by attributing him to these primitive bloodthirsty religions. If your Jesus were around today you all would ridicule and kill him all over again. You crucify him every day with your blasphemy.

At this point in history your “Gods” are thirsty and the only way to satisfy this thirst is with blood. Jihadists are in a tizzy, bloodthirsty IDF officers are filling up the Gaza hospitals with women and children as we speak, and the Christian Zionists can’t wait for the blood to flow so the end of the world can come. You people are savages.

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Guardian on January 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM

You’re deluding yourself if you believe that. Christianity and Islam are predicated on fear to control followers. If you don’t obey the rules, or leave Christianity you’ll suffer God’s wrath and are doomed to burn in hell for eternity.

All these religions are nothing more than man-made cults. If there was a real god you think he’d condone what muslims are doing in his name?

Pat Condell sums it up very well in this video.

An unsure atheist. Isn’t that technically an agnostic?

Guardian on January 6, 2009 at 9:52 PM

They wanted to use “There is no God” but decided to be PC. I think they should’ve went for it-perhaps they’ll get bolder in the future.

thinkagain on January 6, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Even atheists scream “Oh My God” as the bus runs them over.

katy on January 6, 2009 at 10:20 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Stop worrying and enjoy your life.

TexasDan on January 6, 2009 at 10:21 PM

I’m losing faith. Or non-faith, rather.

Let your non-faith be what it would seem to be — or, if you’d like it put more simply — Never imagine your non-faith not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what it was or might have been was not otherwise than what it had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.

Cheshire Cat on January 6, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Shorter article:

Richard Dawkins, attention whore..

DaveC on January 6, 2009 at 10:24 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Time to switch to decaf, seriously.

darclon on January 6, 2009 at 10:25 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM

An example of what turns people off to faith: lunacy as the base.

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:25 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Morqal equivlentsy to the extreme.

Johan Klaus on January 6, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Even atheists scream “Oh My God” as the bus runs them over.

katy on January 6, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Even atheists? If Christians scream “Oh My God,” isn’t that blasphemy?

Tanya on January 6, 2009 at 10:26 PM

. . . or the dreaded atheist symbol?

That’s worse than the Obama Hand Gesture..

talk about A hole..

DaveC on January 6, 2009 at 10:26 PM

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:16 PM

I know. That’s where the “probably” comes into play. An Atheist would say absolutely God doesn’t exist. “Probably” infers doubt not belief or lack of it. In order to say probably you are saying there is a chance God does exist.

Guardian on January 6, 2009 at 10:27 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM

I knew you wouldn’t have to wait too long.

hillbillyjim on January 6, 2009 at 10:27 PM

You people are savages.

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Don’t talk nonsense. You know you’re blood thirsty too.

Cheshire Cat on January 6, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Even atheists scream “Oh My God” as the bus runs them over.

Even atheists? If Christians scream “Oh My God,” isn’t that blasphemy?

Tanya on January 6, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Nope. In that case it’s an exited greeting! :)

Guardian on January 6, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Guardian on January 6, 2009 at 10:27 PM

In order to deem something probable, or not probable, you need a basis. In a question of two absolutes, whether he exists or not, it’s a coin flip. You can’t say when you first flip a coin which side it will probably fall on. If you have some basis from which you lean one way or another, it is coming from faith. That faith makes you no longer agnostic.

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I’m losing faith. Or non-faith, rather.

That’s an inherent problem with atheism. Instead of putting faith in God, you put it people. And people are stupid.

Bo on January 6, 2009 at 10:30 PM

If Christians scream “Oh My God,” isn’t that blasphemy?

Tanya on January 6, 2009 at 10:26 PM

How is that blasphemy? We do call out to Him, you know.

TexasDan on January 6, 2009 at 10:31 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Your post is exactly why there is a God. This kind of confusion is only from someone who desperately needs Him. He’s there for you if you choose.

katy on January 6, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Bo on January 6, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I’m always told that even if I don’t believe in god, he believes in me.

So god can believe in people, but people can’t? Huh.

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:34 PM

How is that blasphemy? We do call out to Him, you know.

TexasDan on January 6, 2009 at 10:31 PM

You might just as well say, that “I breathe when I sleep” is the same thing as “I sleep when I breathe”!

Cheshire Cat on January 6, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Morqal equivlentsy to the extreme.

Johan Klaus on January 6, 2009 at 10:25 PM

To preach “morqal equivlentsy” you have believe that there is any morality present, my point is that religion is devoid of “morqality”.

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:34 PM

There’s probably no God….

It seems people with no faith have no convictions either. They do however, seem to have lots of money to waste.

Tommy_G on January 6, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Wait. Only one in eight people have a clear understanding of the Christmas story?

That’s scary, even to me. Do these people live under rocks, or did they specifically target people with IQs under 40?

Tanya on January 6, 2009 at 10:34 PM

I’m losing faith. Or non-faith, rather.

Some of us know better.

fudgypup on January 6, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Some of us know better.

hillbillyjim on January 6, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Tommy_G on January 6, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Yes, your “Gods” have no money to waste, they always need more.

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Tanya on January 6, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Why would it be blasphemy?

katy on January 6, 2009 at 10:36 PM

thinkagain on January 6, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Muslims love atheists for that very reason. Most Western converts to Islam were formerly atheistic. I’ve heard Imams talking about how they recruit most easily from atheists because they both agree on the first fundamental “There is no God”. But slowly the recruiter will get the atheist to add the words “but Allah”.

It’s damn near impossible to convert a true Jew or Christian to Islam. Much easier to recruit from ignorance.

Guardian on January 6, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Nope. In that case it’s an exited greeting! :)

Guardian on January 6, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Haha! Well played. :o)

Tanya on January 6, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I’m always told that even if I don’t believe in god, he believes in me.

So god can believe in people, but people can’t? Huh.

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:34 PM

A truly faithful person can believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Cheshire Cat on January 6, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Worrying means you have fear. If you are fearful you can’t enjoy your life.

Guardian on January 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM

actually it says in the bible several times to fear “God” and well Catholics? come on man you can do better than this argument…

Kaptain Amerika on January 6, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Don’t talk nonsense. You know you’re blood thirsty too.

Cheshire Cat on January 6, 2009 at 10:28 PM

No I am not bloodthirsty, and I won’t succumb to your attempts to convert me.

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:38 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:36 PM

You’re gonna hafta dumb it down for me – have no idea what your retort means.

Tommy_G on January 6, 2009 at 10:39 PM

“There’s probably no Allah so quit worrying about your virgins and enjoy life.”

Bishop on January 6, 2009 at 10:13 PM

I was thinking almost the exact same thing.

“Behead those who insult – any belief other than Islam – !!!”

BowHuntingTexas on January 6, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Cheshire Cat on January 6, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I prefer to do six impossible things in the morning, and top it off with lunch at Milliway’s.

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Yes, your “Gods” have no money to waste, they always need more.

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Let’s just clear up one thing. It’s for your sake not for people who believe in God… There’s one God. Not God’s. People may see him differently but he’s singular.

Unless you think this site is frequented by a majority of Hindus, not that there’s anything wrong with that! /

katy on January 6, 2009 at 10:41 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:34 PM

I am definitely not a preacher. I cannot even spell properly, especially after drinking a couple of Shiner Helles Lager.

Johan Klaus on January 6, 2009 at 10:41 PM

You’re gonna hafta dumb it down for me – have no idea what your retort means.

Tommy_G on January 6, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Well, if you believe in supernatural nonsense, I don’t think I can sink to your level.

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Where the beautiful women are is where the country is headed,” said my friend. “And this,” he looked around him, “isn’t it.”

Uuuuh..Allah..KP?

Speakup on January 6, 2009 at 10:41 PM

I am not against athiests. I have questioned the existence of God myself. Perhaps they are right. Perhaps not. But I am more concerned with the issues that religion try to take on and for the most part (if you get into it) it is very complex and they take it on very seriously. What I resent is the sarcasm and contention they are absolutely right. Everything they supposedly despise about Dobson and his crew, they adopt the same attitudes.

Mr. Joe on January 6, 2009 at 10:44 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:41 PM

I love the hilarity of those who scoff at the faith of others in supernatural ideas, while they exhibit their own blind faith that such ideas are impossible. Two sides of the same coin I mentioned earlier.

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Seems like anything goes with religious bigotry.

Everybody knows blacks are lazy and prone to crime, right?

All hispanics are illegal.

Police brutalize innocent people.

Politicians are liars.

See what I mean? All these statements about religious people are just as off-base and ridiculous.

I know the Catholic church has had it’s share of failings in the past two millenia and I’ve known a handful of crackpots on my block or seen a few in public, but my experience as a Christian has been nothing but positive and life-changing since I was born. These failings are simply what makes everyone human and really the point to faith in the first place.

Why don’t you just try reading Matthew some time or actually visit a local Christian church and make up your own mind.

Read “UnChristian” or “Toxic Faith.” They both deal with these subjects very well.

fudgypup on January 6, 2009 at 10:45 PM

So let me get this straight…

A cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father came to Earth to absolve man of his sins and the only way you can get into heaven is to telepathically accept him as your master and symbolically eat his body and drink his blood to remove an evil put there by a rib-woman who was convinced to eat a piece of fruit by a talking snake.

And you people have the temerity to say that atheists are the ones that will believe in anything?

Blarg the Destroyer on January 6, 2009 at 10:46 PM

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Well if God be the God of your bloodthirsty death cults, responsible for so much death and persecution throughout the years with impunity, then I want nothing to do with him.

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:45 PM

You know, though athiests and theists agree on very little, we can all hold hands and celebrate one big similarity: our mutual distaste for smug agnostics, who seem to believe that not taking a side makes you somehow above the fray. That’s besides the fact that “strong” agonsticism (the belief that God is unkowable) is a totally absurd and untenable position to start with.

justfinethanks on January 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Blarg the Destroyer on January 6, 2009 at 10:46 PM

A socialist with the middle name of “Huissein”, who attends a black supremacist church, makes up his own fake presidential seals and demands greek columns to speak in front of, hangs around with domestic terrorists, and regularly does business with money launderers, will become president of the United States along with a moron who ran numerous times and lost because he keeps making statements that dwarf Bushisms.

If there is any paragon of ignorance, it’s the refusal to believe that anything is possible.

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:51 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:41 PM

That not actually an answer. Please enlighten this lowely one.

Tommy_G on January 6, 2009 at 10:52 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Aw c’mon, Baal and his consort Astarte only demand blood sacrifices annually. To help the crops grow.

Just give it a shot…

darclon on January 6, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Of course, Albert Einstein also said:

“Being a lover of freedom, when the revolution came in Germany, I looked to the universities to defend it, knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion to the cause of truth; but, no, the universities immediately were silenced. Then I looked to the great editors of the newspapers whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; but they, like the universities, were silenced in a few short weeks. . . .

“Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler’s campaign for suppressing truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the Church alone has had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly.”

and this:

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible laws and connections, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. To that extent I am, in fact, religious.”

and, most appropriately,

“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who–in their grudge against traditional religion as the ‘opium of the masses’– cannot hear the music of the spheres.”

unclesmrgol on January 6, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Blarg the Destroyer on January 6, 2009 at 10:46 PM

So let me get this straight… A giant explosion happened in space a bazillion years ago and the earth came to be with gases and slime and a short time later you sit in your home on a computer and communicate with millions of advanced primordial slimes in real time and that is void of anything remotely resembling faith?

katy on January 6, 2009 at 10:54 PM

justfinethanks on January 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Well actually religious theologians and atheists can hold hands just by joining their right with their left, it would only take one person and no more, but I didn’t feel like going there.

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Kaptain Amerika on January 6, 2009 at 10:38 PM

In that context, what your infer as “fear” means respect and obedience. Let’s take a good look at what the horrid fear of God brings his people, shall we? After all, it’s your source I quote from.

in Proverbs 19:23 it says, “The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.” And again in Proverbs 14:27, “The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death.” And Proverbs 14:26 states, “He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge.” In these verses we see that fear of the Lord provides life, security for your children, protection from evil, confidence, and satisfaction.

So hopefully you now understand the difference between the fear of an Atheist over his life in a Godless world and the fear of God as a believer.

A person who fears God will live righteously and therefore have no fear in this life.

Cool huh?

Guardian on January 6, 2009 at 10:54 PM

justfinethanks on January 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Yes, you fundamentalist atheists and theists certainly can agree on that. You need that to stop hating each other. Meanwhile, the 89.1% of faithful who aren’t deranged zealots are neither seen by us as lesser, nor are they bothered by our position, as you are.

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM

RANDAL: This job would be great if it wasn’t for the f***ing customers. – You know who I can do without? I could do without the people in the video store.

DANTE: Which ones?

RANDAL: All of them.

wise_man on January 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM

I’d like the atheists to explain to me why they believe I’m stupid for believing.

I’d like the atheists to explain what harm my belief does them or anyone else.

I’d like the atheists to explain how those who are involved with World Vision, St Vincent De Paul, the Salvation Army, amongst the other food, housing, counselling and other charitable services are completely deluded.

I’d like the atheists to explain how the likes of Newton, Keppler, Pascal, Babbage and other men of science are complete retards because of their belief.

Over to you boys.

– Nora Charles

The Thin Man Returns on January 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Carl Sagan knows the answer now. I got my granddaughter to type this one.

Johan Klaus on January 6, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Madcon @ 10:51

Okay, that made me laugh.

Blarg the Destroyer on January 6, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Blarg the Destroyer on January 6, 2009 at 10:46 PM

So In the beginning, we were all fish, okay, swimming around in the water. And then one day a couple of fish had a retard baby. And the retard baby was different so it got to live. So retard fish goes on to make more retard babies, and then one day a retard baby fish crawled out of the ocean with its mutant fish hands, and it had butt sex with a squirrel or something, and made this retard-frog-squirrel and then that had a retard baby which was a monkey-fish-frog, and then this monkey-fish-frog had butt sex with that monkey and that monkey had a mutant retard baby that screwed another monkey and that made you. So there you go. You’re the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel. Congratulations.

darclon on January 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM

darclon on January 6, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Don’t eat pigs….oh nevermind.

Credit is an abomination…aah well that one was just f-ing stupid.

Don’t covet your neighbor’s goods…yeah this one’s the Tenth Amendment of the Ten Commandments.

Homosexuality is a sin…but the Catholics already have a priest shortage the way it is.

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM

No I am not bloodthirsty, and I won’t succumb to your attempts to convert me.

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Now, see here, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that.

Cheshire Cat on January 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM

katy,

I have no idea about how the universe came to be. I’m cool with that. I’m just not going to siphon off 10% of my income to any orginization that would consider the Gospel of Saint Thomas to be blasphemy just because they say so.

Blarg the Destroyer on January 6, 2009 at 11:01 PM

If there`s no God, can you explain human consciousness, where it came from and why it developed?

ThePrez on January 6, 2009 at 11:01 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM

So are you gonna join the club or what?

darclon on January 6, 2009 at 11:01 PM

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM

I’m bothered by timidity or perhaps even laziness posing as intellectual superiority. Frankly, the belief in God makes more logical sense than the bizarre notion that God is unknowable. If you don’t personally know whether or not there is a God, that’s fine. But if you try to actually maintain that NO ONE can know whether or not there is a God, then you cross into the world of absurdity.

justfinethanks on January 6, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Blarg the Destroyer on January 6, 2009 at 11:01 PM

But you “willingly” give much more than 10% to the government.

Johan Klaus on January 6, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Blarg the Destroyer on January 6, 2009 at 11:01 PM

That’s cool. God is not an organization or a religion. He’s God. Give, don’t give. He’s not in it for the money.

katy on January 6, 2009 at 11:06 PM

ThePrez, if by consciousness you mean the ability to observe the world around yourself, then every animal has that ability. If you mean where or did we begin to gain the ability to analyze the world around us, it probably came around 7k years ago when the first wheat grasses began to come into being where there was plentiful water sources which gave rise to non-nomadic cultures.

Most likely, this occured at the first city, Jericho. Now before you get all excited, Jericho was civilized long before Jacob came around.

Blarg the Destroyer on January 6, 2009 at 11:09 PM

ThePrez on January 6, 2009 at 11:01 PM

If there were no human consciousness, can you explain belief in God, where else it would have come from and why else it would have developed?

Tav on January 6, 2009 at 11:09 PM

It’s been my experience that most christians know less about their bibles than scientists know about evolution. If one were to engage a religious person in a debate you’ll just encounter alot of what I call “religious puke”.
btw can someone explain this verse to me?

There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. Genesis 6:4

whiskeytango on January 6, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Even atheists scream “Oh My God” as the bus runs them over.

katy on January 6, 2009 at 10:20 PM

“It takes a very special and strong-minded kind of atheist to jump up and down with their hand clasped under their other armpit and shout, ‘Oh, random-fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!’ or ‘Aaargh, primitive-and-outmoded-concept on a crutch!’” – Terry Pratchett

Love that man.

Rosmerta on January 6, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Blarg the Destroyer on January 6, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Well the reason is much better than that, because it’s sophistication insulted their intelligence, but let that bum Paul make up whatever nonsense he likes. The Infancy Gospel of Thomas is a good read as well. “How can you tell me about the Alpha if you cannot tell me about the Beta?”

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 11:18 PM

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 10:45 PM

LevStrauss on January 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Madison, if I recall correctly, has no “death cults” bloodthirsty or otherwise.

You really should pay better attention to what’s being said instead of playing Spelling Bigot and Atheist Preacherman.

hillbillyjim on January 6, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Einstein is quite an interesting read, this only part.
Sorry for the long post, but worthwhile.

Einstein’s God
Just What Did Einstein Believe About God?
Presented here for the first time are the complete texts of two letters that Einstein wrote regarding his lack of belief in a personal god.
By Michael R. Gilmore
Just over a century ago, near the beginning of his intellectual life, the young Albert Einstein became a skeptic. He states so on the first page of his Autobiographical Notes (1949, pp. 3-5): “Thus I came–despite the fact I was the son of entirely irreligious (Jewish) parents–to a deep religiosity, which, however, found an abrupt ending at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true. The consequence was a positively fanatic [orgy of] freethinking coupled with the impression that youth is intentionally being deceived…Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience, a skeptical attitude… has never left me…”
We all know Albert Einstein as the most famous scientist of the 20th century, and many know him as a great humanist. Some have also viewed him as religious. Indeed, in Einstein’s writings there is well-known reference to God and discussion of religion (1949, 1954). Although Einstein stated he was religious and that he believed in God, it was in his own specialized sense that he used these terms. Many are aware that Einstein was not religious in the conventional sense, but it will come as a surprise to some to learn that Einstein clearly identified himself as an atheist and as an agnostic. If one understands how Einstein used the terms religion, God, atheism, and agnosticism, it is clear that he was consistent in his beliefs.
Part of the popular picture of Einstein’s God and religion comes from his well-known statements, such as: “God is cunning but He is not malicious.”(Also: “God is subtle but he is not bloody-minded.” Or: “God is slick, but he ain’t mean.” (1946)
“God does not play dice.”(On many occasions.)
“I want to know how God created the world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details.”(Unknown date.)
It is easy to see how some got the idea that Einstein was expressing a close relationship with a personal god, but it is more accurate to say he was simply expressing his ideas and beliefs about the universe.
Einstein’s “belief” in Spinoza’s God is one of his most widely quoted statements. But quoted out of context, like so many of these statements, it is misleading at best. It all started when Boston’s Cardinal O’Connel attacked Einstein and the General Theory of Relativity and warned the youth that the theory “cloaked the ghastly apparition of atheism” and “befogged speculation, producing universal doubt about God and His creation”(Clark, 1971, 413-414). Einstein had already experienced heavier duty attacks against his theory in the form of anti-Semitic mass meetings in Germany, and he initially ignored the Cardinal’s attack. Shortly thereafter though, on April 24, 1929, Rabbi Herbert Goldstein of New York cabled Einstein to ask: “Do you believe in God?”(Sommerfeld, 1949, 103). Einstein’s return message is the famous statement: “I believe in Spinoza’s God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings”( 103). The Rabbi, who was intent on defending Einstein against the Cardinal, interpreted Einstein’s statement in his own way when writing: “Spinoza, who is called the God-intoxicated man, and who saw God manifest in all nature, certainly could not be called an atheist. Furthermore, Einstein points to a unity. Einstein’s theory if carried out to its logical conclusion would bring to mankind a scientific formula for monotheism. He does away with all thought of dualism or pluralism. There can be no room for any aspect of polytheism. This latter thought may have caused the Cardinal to speak out. Let us call a spade a spade”(Clark, 1971, 414). Both the Rabbi and the Cardinal would have done well to note Einstein’s remark, of 1921, to Archbishop Davidson in a similar context about science: “It makes no difference. It is purely abstract science”(413).
The American physicist Steven Weinberg (1992), in critiquing Einstein’s “Spinoza’s God” statement, noted: “But what possible difference does it make to anyone if we use the word ‘God’ in place of ‘order’ or ‘harmony,’ except perhaps to avoid the accusation of having no God?” Weinberg certainly has a valid point, but we should also forgive Einstein for being a product of his times, for his poetic sense, and for his cosmic religious view regarding such things as the order and harmony of the universe.
But what, at bottom, was Einstein’s belief? The long answer exists in Einstein’s essays on religion and science as given in his Ideas and Opinions (1954), his Autobiographical Notes (1949), and other works. What about a short answer?
In the Summer of 1945, just before the bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Einstein wrote a short letter stating his position as an atheist (Figure 1). Ensign Guy H. Raner had written Einstein from mid-Pacific requesting a clarification on the beliefs of the world famous scientist (Figure 2). Four years later Raner again wrote Einstein for further clarification and asked “Some people might interpret (your letter) to mean that to a Jesuit priest, anyone not a Roman Catholic is an atheist, and that you are in fact an orthodox Jew, or a Deist, or something else. Did you mean to leave room for such an interpretation, or are you from the viewpoint of the dictionary an atheist; i.e., ‘one who disbelieves in the existence of a God, or a Supreme Being’?” Einstein’s response is shown in Figure 3.
Combining key elements from the first and second response from Einstein there is little doubt as to his position: “From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist…. I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our being.”
Einstein continued to search, even to the last days of his 76 years, but his search was not for the God of Abraham or Moses. His search was for the order and harmony of the world.

Speakup on January 6, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Maybe so, but it’s also been my experience that most scientists know less about evolution (or specifically Origin of Species) than theologions know about their Bibles.

– Nora Charles

The Thin Man Returns on January 6, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Very Important Theological question:
What if you’re on one of those “atheist buses” and one of those wonderful non-Christian Moslems (much beloved by the atheistic British Left) plants a bomb on it and you’re blown up. Will your soul go shooting straight up to heaven or will you descend the fifth circle of hell and, like in Dante’s “Inferno”, wind up kicking Richard Dawkins’ head like a soccer ball while he lies frozen in the ice?

TexasJew on January 6, 2009 at 11:38 PM

justfinethanks on January 6, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Um, I haven’t met a single agnostic who believes the idea of supernatural beings, or the lack thereof, is unknowable. I might add that many Christians assert the belief that god is incomprehensible to humans, so chew on that.

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Madison, if I recall correctly, has no “death cults” bloodthirsty or otherwise.

hillbillyjim on January 6, 2009 at 11:22 PM

He’s a lunatic Ronulan and probably has Infowars as his homepage. Don’t bother.

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 11:44 PM

LevStrauss is completely right here.

aengus on January 6, 2009 at 11:48 PM

I find these types of atheist just as annoying as the Christians who always want to ask me if I’ve found Jesus. I just can’t understand why atheists want to spread their beliefs. I always thought one of the biggest draws of being an atheist was not having to do this sort of thing. I guess it just goes to show you that humans are genetically predisposed for religion. We even turn the active belief that their is no god into just another religion.

Ampersand on January 6, 2009 at 11:53 PM

whiskeytango on January 6, 2009 at 11:17 PM

First of all, that is a poor translation from the original Hebrew, but it is surely one of the strangest passages in Genesis. It appears that it was tacked on and is a reference to the “nephelim” – an obscure Hebrew word which appears to indirectly refer to fallen angels. It is definitely derived from somewhere else, and seems to have been stuck in here to counteract some of the polytheistic tales about mortal women being impregnated by gods.

TexasJew on January 6, 2009 at 11:53 PM

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 11:44 PM

More’s the pity. LevS often makes sound, reasoned, even well-documented posts about other subject matter here on HA.

However, when the subject can be even remotely related to religion, he descends into all hate and fury, and berates anyone with the temerity to challenge anything he preaches says on the matter.

The zealous atheists don’t even realize that they are of the same mold as the fundamental “Christianists” they love to despise so much.

hillbillyjim on January 6, 2009 at 11:58 PM

hillbillyjim on January 6, 2009 at 11:58 PM

SOOOOOO &*#$ing true!!! wrd!

Ampersand on January 7, 2009 at 12:01 AM

We even turn the active belief that their is no god into just another religion.

Ampersand on January 6, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Yes. Not to mention Gorebull Warming.

hillbillyjim on January 7, 2009 at 12:05 AM

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Oh, they exist. It’s like this, either you an agnostic in the sense that you think “God’s” existence is unknowable, in which case your belief is untenable, or you are agnostic in the sense that you personally don’t know, in which case you should simply remove yourself from the conversation (except perhaps to ask questions to further educate yourself) until you know enough to come to an actual opinion. Pointlessly conflating atheists and fundamentalists doesn’t cut it, it doesn’t mean anything, and it’s particularly silly if you admit that one side could be right, and accurately know that they are right. Not having an educated opinion is not an opinion in and of itself.

And while some theists may believe that God is inexplicable, they believe that his existence is knowable, so it doesn’t run into the problems that strong agnostcism has.

justfinethanks on January 7, 2009 at 12:06 AM

LevStrauss is completely right here.

aengus on January 6, 2009 at 11:48 PM

You may be more right than you know. If Obama doesn’t deliver on all his hopes and changes to all his freaky friends the Left will crucify him. :)

Guardian on January 7, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Worriers and the word “probably” do NOT get along. Worriers prefer to be told absolutes. This ad campaign could backfire and send a lot of anxiety prone “well what if???” types over to TEAM GOD.

herrevery on January 7, 2009 at 12:09 AM

whiskeytango on January 6, 2009 at 11:17 PM
One last thought:
The Ugaritic god El impregnating mortal women and bearing the divine entities Shahar and Shalem is one theory, as well as Robert Graves and Raphael Patai’s idea the there were tall barbarous Hebrew herdsmen in the early 2nd millenium BC who fgot upclose and personal with the Canaanite goddess-worshipping agricultural folks, known for their orgies and premarital prostitution.

Three cheers for the Canaanites!

TexasJew on January 7, 2009 at 12:10 AM