AP: Paterson close to picking Caroline

posted at 11:45 am on January 2, 2009 by Allahpundit

Why appoint an ex-president when you can appoint a princess?

Officials say the daughter of the late President John F. Kennedy will be the governor’s choice to fill the New York Senate seat being vacated by Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Two people close to Gov. David Paterson tell The Associated Press they believe Caroline Kennedy will be his choice, but the governor cautions he’s still looking.

She’s back to 87.4 on InTrade after having flirted with 50 earlier this week. God only knows what sort of arm-twisting’s going on to make this happen despite her awful rollout, but I’m darkly impressed by the fact that they got the speaker of the state assembly to flip from sneeringly anti-Caroline to pro-Caroline in less than a week. Camelot truly is a magical place.

So much for the caretaker option, which would have cost New York seniority. All that’s left to do now is wait for the announcement, hoping against hope that it comes on the same day Stuart Smalley’s declared the winner in Minnesota and Democrats inevitably cave to Blago by admitting Burris to the Senate. No sense in spreading our national embarrassment out over a few weeks. Let’s choke it all down in one gulp.

Comments

Welcome to the Nepotistic States of America. This country has turned into an elitist sewer of incompetance, and crookedness.

rplat on January 2, 2009 at 1:14 PM

MB4 on January 2, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Hey, where’s Percy Peabody? Shouldn’t he/she be advocating the nuking of New York. I mean, if Mn is bad…. why not NY?

MNDavenotPC on January 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM

This is the story that won’t go away. Another attempt by the mainstream media to get their latest darling in office. Qualifications? Who needs qualifications? She is a Kennedy you know. Shes entitled.

kanda on January 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM

This is downright disgusting. And people complained about republican cronies. Embarrassing.

Dritanian on January 2, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I know Hillary was re-elected in 2006, which means that if appointed, wouldn’t Caroline be in office until 2012 and run for re-election then?

kcarpenter on January 2, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Whatever happened to the concept of merit in this country?

How is that those who fail (see US auto industry, financial sector, etc.) are rewarded with gov’t bailouts and someone like this woman –who’s accomplished little in her life and contributed almost nothing to the body politic– can slide into a Senate seat simply because she wants it?

It’s not about merit, and it’s not about representing the people.

It’s all about dividing up the spoils. We, the people, provide the spoils.

They, the Democrats, take it, and divide it among themselves.

I said before, if Caroline wants this, she gets to have it; the end.

Why anyone doubted that, I don’t know!

Alana on January 2, 2009 at 1:44 PM

MNDavenotPC on January 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Flash, slash!
Glisten and gash!
Sing, savour the sting
As the sound makes their empty headed ears ring
Air strike, come paradise
For the New York and Minnesota lice
Blow by blow
As they are both set aglow

PercyB on January 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM

The next 4 years is really going to be hard to deal with, or hysterically funny, I’m not sure yet.

Ann NY on January 2, 2009 at 1:52 PM

New York should now be renamed Kenya

tomas on January 2, 2009 at 1:54 PM

That and we’re not exactly the red state we used to be. We were fairly dark purple this election. I blame Austin.

Esthier on January 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

So do I, and I live in Austin.

Snowed In on January 2, 2009 at 1:55 PM

PercyB

Yep advocating my death because I live in MN….. very mature, and, I might add, impossible… I can’t be killed by pieces of excrement who don’t know a Conservative when they see one.

MNDavenotPC on January 2, 2009 at 2:02 PM

A corrupt and incompetent Democrat taking office should not be a news story, clearly this is a “Dog bites man, story”.

Now if a Democrat who was only semi-corrupt and was actually slightly competent took office, THIS would be a “Man bites dog then flaps his arms and flies to the Moon” type story.

For all you J-school types out there.

NoDonkey on January 2, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Ann NY on January 2, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Well said. I have to go with the latter in order to remain sane and entertained, otherwise, it will remain pretty dark, dim and hopeless. Especially if we have to endure media slobber over Ms. Kennedy.

sherry on January 2, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I suspect Caroline is presently undergoing intensive work with several speech pattern experts trying to eliminate the “you know” from her manner of communication. Probably the hardest work she’s ever done. It’ll be fun watching her obsess about not tripping over it in her future interviews.

a capella on January 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM

This is absolutely shocking! LOL I can’t see really how Paterson can not choose The Princess.

ddrintn on January 2, 2009 at 2:16 PM

a capella on January 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Probably also the only work she’s ever done. But the MSM assure us that “she’s just like one of us”, so relax. ;)

ddrintn on January 2, 2009 at 2:21 PM

sherry on January 2, 2009 at 2:10 PM

The media was going to slobber anyway for Obama; now they’ll have to spread it around.

Snowed In on January 2, 2009 at 2:23 PM

This wouldn’t be so bad had she ever shown the slightest interest in Politics. She doesn’t even vote regularly.

If she had held some minor elected office it wouldn’t smack of cronism and nepotism so badly.

I have to wonder WHY she wants this position.

History Chaser on January 2, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Backwater Media: Princess, what magazines do you read?

Princess: Oh…you know…like…uh…Ladies’ Home Journal, uh…Reader’s Digest…uh…Cosmo…you know…stuff like that.

whitetop on January 2, 2009 at 2:29 PM

THE ONLY WORSER PICK WOULD HAVE BEEN CHARLIE RANGEL!

I LUV IT!

FRANKEN, HER AND BURRIS!

A FREAKIN’ LIB TRIFECTA!

reliapundit on January 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM

History Chaser on January 2, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Ha…I love this from that link:

(Newser) – The New York Times will report almost anything newsworthy—except a rumored affair between its publisher and Caroline Kennedy, Gawker reports. When a reader commented on the paper’s City Room blog wondering if the Times would address the gossip surrounding the two, the comment was deleted with the explanation that “We don’t report stuff like this, regardless of people involved.”

Unless, of course, it’s John McCain, eh?

ddrintn on January 2, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Nope. Nobody would believe anything like this.

azlibertarian on January 2, 2009 at 1:04 PM

But if Christopher Buckley had written it, it would have sold millions. Heck, I may send it along to him and ask for a cut.

LastRick on January 2, 2009 at 2:40 PM

MB4,

“The worst, you know, aspects of, you know, nepotocracy and, you know, kelptocracy, like you know, combined.”

I know!! That freakin’ seaweed is going to take over the world!!

exhelodrvr on January 2, 2009 at 2:45 PM

With Caroline’s appointment, the Democrat Party confirms it does not require passing an IQ test to be a Democrat.

SeniorD on January 2, 2009 at 1:25 PM

“Does not require”? Heck, they’re forbidden. The dumber, the better, so long as the dumber consider themselves to be the smarter.

ddrintn on January 2, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Where it began, I can’t begin to know when
But then I know it’s growing strong
Oh, wasn’t the spring, whooo
And spring became the summer
Who’d believe you’d come along

Hands, touching hands, reaching out
Touching me, touching you
Oh, sweet Caroline
Good times never seem so good
I’ve been inclined to believe it never would

And now I, I look at the night, whooo
And it don’t seem so lonely
We fill it up with only two, oh
And when I hurt
Hurting runs off my shoulder
How can I hurt when holding you

Oh, one, touching one, reaching out
Touching me, touching you
Oh, sweet Caroline
Good times never seem so good
Oh I’ve been inclined to believe it never would

Ohhh, sweet Caroline, good times never seem so good

Mr. Joe on January 2, 2009 at 2:51 PM

The lyrics just work, without parody.

Actually, this pick I like. Caroline might be such an idiot that Republicans will actually have a shot in New York two years from now to take this seat.

Mr. Joe on January 2, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Caroline is right up Rieds alley- she dumb as dirt but will be a robo vote for him.
Hey anybody seen Tim Johnson speak lately?
But he’ll be there to vote Democrat and he might be a hologram at this point

jjshaka on January 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM

How’s San Antonio? Red or blue-ish? Where do the red state Texans live?

Kensington on January 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Big deal, she`ll vote yes on high taxes, no on national defense and for baby-killing.

ThePrez on January 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM

These are poster children for how badly intellectualized and oftentimes poorly educated despite the degrees many Liberals actually are.

S on January 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM

What was that quote from Bobby Seal when he was running against Obama for Congress in Illinois — something like: “Obama went to Harvard and became an educated fool.” At least Obama and Caroline have that in common.

AZCoyote on January 2, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Kensington on January 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM

SA/Bexar County is blue, as are Dallas, Houston, Austin, and most of south Texas (at least in the 2008 presidential). The red-staters live pretty much everywhere else.

Snowed In on January 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM

She was a lock from day 1.

Obamastein touched her with his scepter.

And besides, she will make a better Senator than 90% of Democrats. Could she possibly be worse than Ted, Kerry, Schummer, Durbin, Reid, etc., etc., etc.?

The IQ of the Senate will rise by 10 points when she joins…..from 65 to 75.

notagool on January 2, 2009 at 3:10 PM

The Catholic Church needs to excommunicate the Kennedy family (all of them, specifically, as to their ongoing support and more for abortion) as also John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden and more for the very same reason as the Kennedy group.

The Church keeps talking about it in one region or another but still has not taken that definitive step to remove such people from the Church (and it needs to do so).

If Obama signs that dreadful “end of life” declaration after taking office as it’s already lauded by these Democrats and more, there is just no possible remaining room to argue against booting these people out of the Church. And about Obama, may he reap what he has sown.

S on January 2, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Kensington on January 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I’m not sure about San Antonio but Dallas is as Bad as Austin if not worse. Fort Worth is just the opposite, a great little city. Still has and embraces its western heritage. It hard to believe two city so close could be so different. Liberals are moving to Texas just like Colorado and other state, but overall the state is still very Conservative. Dallas, Houston, Austin these three city’s are total liberal s*** houses!

try again later on January 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM

^^ reference:

FOCA.

S on January 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Great!!!!! 2 brain dead senators in service!

grapeknutz on January 2, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Great!!!!! 2 brain dead senators in service!

grapeknutz on January 2, 2009 at 3:42 PM

The reality of former President John Kennedy’s health situation was withheld (and also sequestered) from the public in his campaign years, including when he ran for the Senate prior to the Presidency.

Sound familiar? As in, ever seen medical records for “Barack Hussein Obama”? I haven’t and few are ever likely to at least in these current times.

Kennedy’s medical records were only made public a few years ago, and we still won’t see his full records (both in the Office and out of it) until, what, 2050.

But what has been released so far as to Kennedy’s medical records shows a man using, among other things, testosterone and methamphetamines, as also substantial injected pain medications. It was reasoned during his campaign years that if his medical status was made public, he could not win any elections. So, like the awful Democrats continue to do today, the public concerns were overlooked in preference for getting a Democrat into office (the “truth be damned” politics of the Democrats, including to fool and mislead the public if it means a Democrat can get elected by doing so).

So I wonder just what is Caroline’s problem, as also Obama’s, though I have several ideas.

S on January 2, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Camelot truly is a magical place.

Actually it’s a rather silly place, really.

canadianrepublican on January 2, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Alaska seems beautiful, but also, very, very cold. I also considered Texas but was then informed that you have spiders large enough to drag people off.
I can’t win.
Wait…what about Utah?
Bishop on January 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM

These nice folks will be able to help you out with the spiders or any other annoying critters you might run across in Texas. Come on down! We can use more rock solid conservatives.

Larry L. Sharp on January 2, 2009 at 4:54 PM

S on January 2, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Absolutely correct. Maybe it is a little selfish of me, but as a Catholic, I like to think the appointment of another heretic is actually a good thing, in that it keeps the issue first and forefront in the Church. For far too long, our Bishops have ignored the scandal they have allowed from these people, but the more prominent the problem, the more the Bishops are pushed into a corner. It will force them to take a stand, to finally draw that line in the sand. It just has to. Knowing Archbishop Burke (is he a Cardinal yet?) is prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura, aka the Church’s Supreme Court, also makes me hopeful. Let the excommunications begin…please!

pannw on January 2, 2009 at 5:31 PM

This chick makes Sarah Palin look like Margaret Thatcher. The blind, retarded, adulterous Governor of New York is apparently in some sort of state-against-state contest with the ugly, stupid, beady-eyed Governor of Illinois to see who can make the Democrats look stupider.

It’s like when they bet hot dogs and cheesecake for pizza and ribs during the Super Bowl.

Jaibones on January 2, 2009 at 6:14 PM

PercyB

MNDavenotPC on January 2, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Sink me. The pretty thing rhymed in four places. You just can’t please some people.

PercyB on January 2, 2009 at 7:50 PM

MB4,

“The worst, you know, aspects of, you know, nepotocracy and, you know, kelp kleptocracy, like you know, combined.”

I know!! That freakin’ seaweed is going to take over the world!!

exhelodrvr on January 2, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I never had much use for a man who could only spell a word one way. Shows lack of imagination!
– Mark Twain

MB4 on January 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM

The blind, retarded, adulterous Governor of New York

Get a grip.

The first two can’t be helped and the last one? Well, I reckon HA is full of people who dipped their wick in some strange. They probably number amongst the people who profess abstinece and then proceed to bone anything with a pulse.

Ad homniemns are to be avoided.

: x

Ares on January 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM

I assume she will only read from scripts written for her by someone else and vote however uncle Ted or Harry Reid tells her. So, I guess intelligence is not necessary; although it would probably be better for image purposes if she could say something spontaneously that is more than just gibberish. But OTOH, I guess in her 2010 election she will decline debates and conduct a TV ad, photo op, no serious interviews kind of campaign; so not being able to speak above a gibberish level probably isn’t necessary either. She has already learned not to give interviews to newspapers or the New York Times either.

KW64 on January 2, 2009 at 9:37 PM

kcarpenter on January 2, 2009 at 1:43 PM

kc, I think this is how it works: When a Senate seat is vacated, the Gov of that state appoints someone for 2 years or less, whatever fills the time for that particular Session of COngress. If the term had more than 2 years left (e.g., Hillary will be leaving 4 years early) then there is an election for that remaining portion of the term when the 2 year long appointment runs out; i.e., 2 years.
Then, the next election is for a full 6 year term. This keeps the terms balanced so that roughly one third of Senate terms come up for election / re-election each 2 year election cycle.

If I am wrong, will someone please post and correct me? THX

Red State State of Mind on January 2, 2009 at 10:03 PM

My cat has a better understanding of the issues than this member of the Kennedy Crime Family.

I’d love to know if she knows the price of a gallon of gas or a loaf of bread at the grocery store.

Mooseman on January 3, 2009 at 9:13 AM

It’s the DNA…..the DNA. Duh…

joeyb1955 on January 3, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Mooseman on January 3, 2009 at 9:13 AM

That would be an awesome gotcha question for her! They did that to George H.W. Bush back in ’92 when they asked him what the price of a gallon of milk was and he couldn’t answer it.

ramrocks on January 3, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Not feeling all the faux outrage from the establishment right. Political parties make political moves. This was a political move. Whether it was a smart one or not will be determined next year when Kennedy has to run in the special election. The voters of NY will decide, just like the voters of the US gave a thumbs down to the political decision made by the RNC to nominate Gov. Palin as VP. This isn’t rocket science folks. Save the manufactured outrage.

dakine on January 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM

I hope someone taped those CK appointment negotiations with Paterson. The bright side is conservative bloggers will have a field day with her in the Senate.

Done That on January 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Political parties make political moves.

This isn’t rocket science folks. Save the manufactured outrage.

dakine on January 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Save us your enlightenment. We’re talking about a Senate seat, not the DNC chairmanship. The people of NY — and the rest of us — are entitled to expect that someone with real qualifications is put in place, not a person whose main contribution was raising money for the Democrats and picking Joe Biden as VP.

Y-not on January 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM

…just like the voters of the US gave a thumbs down to the political decision made by the RNC to nominate Gov. Palin as VP. This isn’t rocket science folks. Save the manufactured outrage.

dakine on January 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Stop trying to lay McCain’s loss at Gov. Sarah Palin’s feet. You know full well the negative vote had close to nothing to do with her, unless I’m really giving you more credit for intelligence than you deserve.

But you are absolutely correct that our current political situation has nothing at all in common with rocket science. The voters are far too stupid for that, as evidenced by the millions of people who voted for Obama (not against Sarah Palin, or even John McCain) without any clue what he stood for, how he’d voted previously, etc…and who apparently think Caroline Kennedy is ‘qualified’ for anything while hypocritically claiming Governor Sarah Palin is not.

pannw on January 3, 2009 at 7:12 PM

AP: Paterson close to picking Caroline

And the perpetual democrat silver spoon gers passed onto the same old dynasty BS…Disgusting!

byteshredder on January 3, 2009 at 8:33 PM

dakine on January 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Complete bullsh*t. How quickly that “thumbs up” Palin got before the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy is conveniently forgotten. My, how the left fears “Simple Sarah”. LOL It’s really funny.

ddrintn on January 4, 2009 at 1:21 AM

dakine on January 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM

By the way, it isn’t “outrage”, faux or otherwise. I think it’s hilarious. May the Democrats keep giving us such gifts over the next 4 years!

ddrintn on January 4, 2009 at 11:57 AM

They say when chromosones split they become progressively shorter until one day there is nothing left. On that I base my hopes for the people of the East coast.

entagor on January 4, 2009 at 1:31 PM

dakine, like so many other liberal nitwits, seems not to comprehend the difference between an election and an appointment.

Jaibones on January 4, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Jailbones I voted for McCain you tool, and like so many authoritarian nitwits, you have trouble with reading comprehension. If Kennedy is indeed appointed to the vacant Senate seat, the voters of NY will have their collective say next year in the special election. You’re about 10% as smart as you think you are. BTW, I don’t think Palin cost McCain the election. In fact, I can’t think of a VP selection who would’ve made any difference in the result. IMHO, Palin was a bad choice, but was probably a wash (or minor net negative at the worst) as a VP choice.

dakine on January 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM

This whole damn situation sucks out loud. The nerve of these people living off someone else’s coat tails is astounding.

Geronimo on January 4, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Ew! Those closeups of princess caroline are really not very complimentary! But I guess that’s typical… anytime you see a dimrat up close, they are more nauseating than usual.

ErinF on January 4, 2009 at 9:32 PM

This is either a slap in the face to the voters in New York State or a keen understanding on Paterson’s part of the intellectual make-up of the voters in New York State. Why would Paterson want to slap them?

SKYFOX on January 5, 2009 at 6:27 AM

The Rubicon was crossed long ago.

Rome is falling.

Everyman for himself!

Saltysam on January 5, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Caroline Kennedy is the air headed no experienced lightweight the left would have the American people believe Sarah Palin is.

jack_in_the_box on January 5, 2009 at 3:07 PM