Viacom offers a galaxy of weeping stars to battle Time Warner

posted at 2:55 pm on December 31, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The battle between Viacom and Time Warner has begun to look like a messy divorce.  Viacom wants a significant hike in its fees for cable companies to carry its channels, but Time Warner says they won’t pay — and have threatened to shut off Viacom’s cable channels by midnight tonight.  In response, Viacom has decided to use its children-show characters as weapons in this fight:

Tapping emotional images such as a weeping Dora the Explorer and a distraught SpongeBob, Viacom Inc. is launching a marketing blitz Wednesday aimed at demonizing Time Warner Cable over a television-programming contract dispute.

Barring a last-minute settlement on fees, Viacom’s cable channels — including Nickelodeon, MTV and Comedy Central — will disappear from Time Warner Cable at midnight Wednesday. While programmers and operators often battle fiercely over contract renewals, Viacom’s campaign is notable in its willingness to pull children into the debate.

One ad shows the cartoon Dora in tears with the words, “Why is Dora crying?” The ad goes on to explain: “Time Warner Cable has taken 19 of your favorite channels off the air!” and suggests viewers call a Time Warner Cable number to demand that the cable operator restore Nickelodeon and its siblings. That ad is paired with another suggesting that viewers can get Dora back by signing up to one of Time Warner Cable’s rivals such as DirecTV or Verizon Communications. In another, the cartoon character SpongeBob is said to be “freaking out.”

Like most divorces, both sides have legitimate points.  Viacom says it only receives 8% of all licensing fees paid by Time Warner, even though its channels get 20% of all viewership, and it deserves a raise.  Time Warner says Viacom must be smoking the drapes if it expects families in a recession to pay more for cable television service.  The fight has gone down to the wire, and now Viacom wants to frighten the kids to make Time Warner pay up.

Viacom’s argument really doesn’t add up, though.  They make money off of licensing and advertising.  If they get better viewership than A&E, then they should be able to charge more money for it.  Time Warner should pay market value for the right to broadcast the channels, but won’t Viacom lose a hell of a lot more money by antagonizing Time Warner and its subscribers, especially through a heavy-handed ad campaign?  After all, their advertisers will lose millions of potential viewers at midnight tonight — and that makes Viacom’s channels much less lucrative for spending advertising revenue, especially in this economy.  They’re cutting off their nose to spite their face.

They’re not going to get much sympathy from parents by exploiting these cartoon characters, either.  Families in a tough economy are not going to make the expensive investment in satellite dishes just to get Nickelodeon back.  Instead, they’ll find other outlets for entertainment for their children, perhaps permanently.  One parent, my friend Chad the Elder at Fraters Libertas, notes the hard sell currently under way:

This morning, Nikelodeon has been running a continuous scroll warning of the channel’s imminent disappearance for Time Warner customers and urging them to call their cable operator to avoid this horrible fate. It’s a clever ploy by Nik to go after one of parent’s critical pain points: the shows their children love to watch. All I have to say is thank God we have Comcast. Don’t get a chance to say that too often.

Settle your own problems, and keep the kids out of it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So this will get the kids away from the TV and maybe they can go outside or just do something other than stare at the TV? OK.

perroviejo on December 31, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Anyone dumb enough to pay to watch TV …

corona on December 31, 2008 at 3:01 PM

The whole cable companies paying networks is backwards. They should be paying cable (and satellite) companies to carry their programs and advertising, since the real reason for the programming is to expose viewers to the advertising.

sadatoni on December 31, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Yay for DirecTV!
————-
Why can’t TWC just step up and pay the fair fee? If the Viacom stations are pulling in the most viewers, it’s only fair they get the most fee $$$. But, given the disgusting monopoly TWC has in some markets (because of gov’t regs) and the unavailability of sat tv for some folks, TWC thinks they can hold out because, hey, where else are the customers gonna go? Cable monopolies suck.

malan89 on December 31, 2008 at 3:02 PM

I saw the scrolling plea and went “What?”
The allusion to a messy divorce is right on-I have friends going through one right now, and it ain’t pretty.
read a book.

Doug on December 31, 2008 at 3:03 PM

You mean I don’t have get to watch Dora and Diego any more. Oh, the humanity!

Laura in Maryland on December 31, 2008 at 3:03 PM

perroviejo on December 31, 2008 at 3:01 PM

It’s about 5 degrees Fahrenheit outside where I am today. A little TV never killed anyone.

malan89 on December 31, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Laura in Maryland on December 31, 2008 at 3:03 PM

LOL

malan89 on December 31, 2008 at 3:04 PM

All I have to say is thank God we have Comcast

While you are on the good side of Viacom, you’re on the bad side of about everything else Comcast does. From overzealous bandwidth capping to blocking competition, they’re doing a good job of staying at the bottom of customer service.

Time Warner doesn’t play those kind of games that Comcast has for ages. The only drawback is they won’t serve your area even if you ask.

sethstorm on December 31, 2008 at 3:05 PM

I could do without most of the crap on TV. The ads for “the unborn” are creeping out the kids.

But, he lives in a pineapple under the sea, and is oblivious to squidward’s condescension.

kirkill on December 31, 2008 at 3:06 PM

The thing is… you have to 18 to call that number. They had a scrolling marquee on some channel (VH1 I think?) this morning while I was at the gym screeching about how the man was gonna shut down “my” favorite channels. Annoying as hell is what it was.

Lehosh on December 31, 2008 at 3:06 PM

If this further delays the “Samurai Jack” movie, or messes up Cartoon Network reruns, I’ll be pissed off.

By the way, is the rumor that Sarah Palin was made an honorary PowerPuff Girl true?

Sapwolf on December 31, 2008 at 3:10 PM

I think Viacom has more to lose here than Time Warner. After all, there are 200 other cable channels out there. Is anyone going to miss not watching MTV, MTV2, MTV3, MTV392 (where they still don’t play music), or VH1, VH2, VHGooglePlex? Essentially the biggest market is with the kids channels, and there are alternatives, such as Sprout and Disney.

Or, ultimately, the parents will just turn off the TV and read to their kids.

Nethicus on December 31, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Some of you “who cares” people must not watch South Park on Comedy Central…

Lehosh on December 31, 2008 at 3:12 PM

perroviejo on December 31, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Substitute ‘me’ for ‘the kids’ and I think you are onto something. The problem is I have a cold and have to stay indoors. Guess I’ll log into Middle-Earth and thump some Trolls with my dwarf champion.

Sapwolf on December 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM

TV crapped out ’bout a week ago and I have no intention of replacing it – EVER!!!My parent were right, it’ll rot your brain. Why pay good money for crap programing?

Ciannaky on December 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM

My brother’s DVR has every episode of Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! saved, so my nephs will be okay.

I’ve always felt ripped off for paying for cable and still having to watch commercials. Thanks TIVO and all you other fine commercial-destroying technologies.

TMK on December 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

So, MTV, Nick and Com Central would be gone? Three of the main liberal indoctrinators of youth? And that’s supposed to be the down side?

Am I missing something?

Disclaimer: I already rid myself of cable, wife and I aren’t home enough to make it worth the cost anyway and the only thing I was watching anyway were FNC and Stargate anyway…

TWC is the dominant (though not only) providor in my area, (KC, Kansas) and I use one on their competitors, Everest for my ISP.

Oh, and I have no kids

Rogue on December 31, 2008 at 3:15 PM

WON’T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

lodge on December 31, 2008 at 3:15 PM

sigh, parent(s) – see told you it rots your brain!

Ciannaky on December 31, 2008 at 3:16 PM

I guess they are waiting for their bailout money!

grapeknutz on December 31, 2008 at 3:16 PM

quoted for truth.

trailortrash on December 31, 2008 at 3:19 PM

What kind of nightmare is this becoming,
Hopey/Changey was elected on ‘Hope’and
‘Change’!

And now,the cartoons are getting slashed,
da horror!

Its about time,that the children rise up,
and march,and demand their share of the
bailout!

The cartoons must be bailed out,or according
Liberals,it will lead to a catastrophic destruction
of the Liberal family!(Sarc!) haha.

canopfor on December 31, 2008 at 3:20 PM

WON’T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

lodge on December 31, 2008 at 3:15 PM

That’s right. They won’t be able to watch The Daily Show either.

Laura in Maryland on December 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

I was going to beat up on Viacom and tell them to just die but then I remembered that Time Warner gave Democrats 82% of their political donations in 2008 so I guess they both can just die.

grdred944 on December 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM

WON’T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

lodge on Dec 31,2008 at 3:15PM.

lodge:I agree,and where the h#ll is Hillary,and where
the h#ll is ‘The Village’when you need it!haha:)

canopfor on December 31, 2008 at 3:25 PM

This is good news for Hulu, Fancast, Joost, Netflix, …

pedestrian on December 31, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Some of you “who cares” people must not watch South Park on Comedy Central…

Lehosh on December 31, 2008 at 3:12 PM

I’m pretty sure South Park episodes are available online. And for the record, screw Viacom. I pay more for cable than I do for gas/electric/telephone combined. Cable TV is getting to the edge of affordability for many, and Viacom’s viewership may just drop when people drop cable.

trubble on December 31, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Actually, my DirecTV service is cheaper than anything that Comcast or Time Warner offers. New subscribers typically get all the necessary equipment for free as well.

Though, if I could stream just a couple of channels like Tru and A&E for my wife, I’d cancel my DirecTV service.

Queasy on December 31, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Meh, switch to a satellite if you have to have it. Internet TV wins this round.

Static on December 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Some of you “who cares” people must not watch South Park on Comedy Central…

Lehosh on December 31, 2008 at 3:12 PM

I haven’t watched South Park on TV for years. I watch it on the interwebs. And Comedy Central sucks doggy doo.

Coronagold on December 31, 2008 at 3:34 PM

We don’t have cable, and my kids love to read. My diabolical plan is working. And my 5-year-old knows the meaning of diabolical! Ha ha!

theotherKate on December 31, 2008 at 3:37 PM

From Time Warner’s press release:

We sympathize with the fact that Viacom’s advertising business is suffering and that their networks’ ratings have largely been declining. However, we can’t abide their attempt to make up their lost revenue on the backs of Time Warner Cable customers. We’ve negotiated in good faith and made several concessions to help reach a fair and reasonable deal.

LOL!

terryannonline on December 31, 2008 at 3:38 PM

so does my cable bill go down now?

equanimous on December 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM

I got At&T phone line digital cable and DSL service. No problems whatsoever.

I have a hard time remembering what life was like before my DVR, too.

Mazztek on December 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM

I have all of Spongebob on DVD, TV Land is a shadow OF A SHADOW of its former self, and I own all of Trek as well (Spike TV’s only good show) and really…all of the rest of these stations have long since jumped the shark, or were really nothing to begin with. I have a rural cable service, so I’m immune, but I can understand why some people would be upset if nearly 20 channels are lost.

American_Pride1701 on December 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM

*shrugs* Until the cable/sat TV companies offer “a la carte” service, I have no use for them.

Send_Me on December 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Seriously, all South Park episodes are available for free on the South Park web site. Just to make it easy it’s

Dave_d on December 31, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Coronagold on December 31, 2008 at 3:34 PM

What! No love for the Sarah Silverman Program and John Stewart?

Laura in Maryland on December 31, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Lets try that again
Southpark link

Dave_d on December 31, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Some of you “who cares” people must not watch South Park on Comedy Central…

Lehosh on December 31, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Cost/benefit analysis showed that, when $45 in gold was placed on one pan of the Scale of Desirability, and a month of South Park episodes on the other, the gold was worth more.

Besides, all the really good South Park stuff is on YouTube.

unclesmrgol on December 31, 2008 at 3:43 PM

I hope Time Warner doesn’t give in and curse my luck. Wouldn’t you know it I have Comcast.

Just A Grunt on December 31, 2008 at 3:43 PM

What! No love for the Sarah Silverman Program and John Stewart?

Nah, I haven’t watched him in years. I mean he went way too over the top with the Dem cheerleading. (Well that and constantly with the clown nose on/off thing.) I mean if he’d do more stuff like that gay penguin thing I’d watch him more. (Yes, they really had a report about gay penguins, it was hilarious.)

Dave_d on December 31, 2008 at 3:45 PM

I could care less about any of the other carp, but I do like South Park. OTOH, I could save the cable fees and just rent/buy the next season on DVD–and probably still save money.

Screw ‘em both.

urbancenturion on December 31, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Dave_d on December 31, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Yeah, I know. Even Mr. Hanky couldn’t tolerate those turds.

Laura in Maryland on December 31, 2008 at 3:47 PM

“I want my M T Veeee”, NOT. Good riddance.

And during prime time, Spike had a Jame Bond-a-thon, but the commercials were about how you should want your girlfriends boobs to be bigger. I mean, who are these TV people?

kirkill on December 31, 2008 at 3:52 PM

I might have cared a few years ago when TVLand was still semi-decent. Now I just see it as a beautiful holiday away from Dora, Diego, and The Fairly Odd Parents.

herrevery on December 31, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Rarrrr…. CSI and CSI:NY reruns on SpikeTV are the only TV I ever watch. Might as well cancel our TWC TV service, and, since we’re not using the phone much anyway either, get out of that bundling as well.

pookysgirl on December 31, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Bing Crosby started Viacom and produced programs like Hogan’s Heroes. Der Bingle would absolutely freak out about a lot of the programming on these networks, not to mention their business practices.

kingsjester on December 31, 2008 at 3:58 PM

TWC is being disingenuous with the idea that this increase is significant. It’s a mere 23 centes per customer. $0.23 x 13.3 million subscribers x 12 months = $36,708,000 a year
So sure, it sounds like a lot but it won’t even be noticeable on my bill which includes internet. TWC are being babies here. And they will lose a customer at midnight if these channels go dark.

cadams on December 31, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Anyone dumb enough to pay to watch TV …

corona on December 31, 2008 at 3:01 PM

not me… that’s one big failing of PajamasTV I believe. you should be able to advertise enough to a free audience to pay for broadcast costs. you miss a massive market by charging. use myspace.com as a reference, dating sites were all the rage @ 19.95 per month until facebook and myspace came out for free, now they are husks of what they were. myspace has 300 million users and signs up over 230k new users everyday. what kind of money could you get directly advertising to each of those people everyday by precise demographic? it’s huge… cable companies should be giving out service for free.

Kaptain Amerika on December 31, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Time-Warner had this same battle with the NFL network last year. The NFL urged their fans to call Time-Warner and complain. I don’t have Time-Warner, but I called anyway to urge them to not give in to the NFL. As far as I know, the NFL channel is still not part of T-Ws basic packages.

I congratulate T-W for standing up to these content turds. Viacom is especially odious. Time-Warner sucks, but it doesn’t suck as much as Viacom.

jaime on December 31, 2008 at 4:08 PM

I live in a Bright House Networks city. At the moment I’ve got six weeks of 18 free Showtime/TMC channels, including 2 on-demand channels, because digital cable went down for just one afternoon and evening (regular cable was unaffected). Even if you don’t appreciate what they have to offer on those channels, that’s customer service.

I’m moving back to a Mediacom town next week. If I remember correctly they’re all right, but who knows what’s happened in the 8 years since I’ve been away?

James on December 31, 2008 at 4:09 PM

You mean MTV will be off the air?

KICK-&#CK&NG-@SS!!!!!!

DethMetalCookieMonst on December 31, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Some of you “who cares” people must not watch South Park on Comedy Central

I watch South Park, but not on Comedy Central. I watch it on SoutParkStudios.com. It’s the official site and perfectly legal.

DethMetalCookieMonst on December 31, 2008 at 4:24 PM

cadams on December 31, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Do you really think this is just about a 23 cent per customer increase? I’m sure it’s significantly more than that. Please site the source of your information.

RMCS_USN on December 31, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Civilization took a step backward when Dora and SpongeBob went on the air; maybe now it can stumble forward again if they go off. That goes triple for MTV.

I don’t see what Time-Warner’s problem is. Anyone who pays >$50 a month for crap like MTV will pay another twenty-three cents. They’re like frogs in boiling water… if I were T-W, I’d increase rates on MTV viewers by $.23/mo EVERY month. They’ll pay it.

greggriffith on December 31, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I agree with Viacom based on this, but I hate spongebob, comedy central, spike and mtv so I dunno which side to take.

Darth Executor on December 31, 2008 at 4:53 PM

I LOVE NOGGIN, especially when I have ALL FOUR little OP’s running around.

It looks like I won’t be switching to Time Warner…

originalpechanga on December 31, 2008 at 5:12 PM

You also can go to the websites and get many of these shows…no cable..

originalpechanga on December 31, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Who cares?

D2Boston on December 31, 2008 at 5:15 PM

My kid frantically called me into the living room when she read the crawl. I told her not to worry since we had AT&T U-Verse instead of TWC. TWC can suck an egg for all I care. When I switched away from them a year ago, I doubled my Internet speed, picked up two pay channels, and saved $30 per month.

Kafir on December 31, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Somehow, thinking of the possibility of there being no Spongebob, I find that my Give A Damn is just not kicking in.

pilamaye on December 31, 2008 at 5:30 PM

I wish Cox cable would dump them too.

thekingtut on December 31, 2008 at 5:30 PM

I guess they are waiting for their bailout money!

grapeknutz on December 31, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Yeah… too big to fail indeed. We’ve rewarded GM and the other automakers for blackmailing the American people. Why wouldn’t Viacom or some other scuzzy corporate entity be more tempted to try the same thing after it was just shown to *work*?

At this point, Viacom isn’t even a trailblazer anymore, they’re just another “me-too” play. Even less stigma and outrage for them to absorb than if they had started the phenomenon themselves…

IMHO it’s not likely to be the last time we see this tried during the unwinding of the current economic bubble. I seriously hope it doesn’t become a full-fledged, raging trend, but I suspect it might, if we let it.

Neal Boortz’s “you get more of what you reward, and less of what you punish” appears to be right on the money, AFAICT.

RD on December 31, 2008 at 5:31 PM

This is good news for Hulu, Fancast, Joost, Netflix, …

pedestrian on December 31, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Well, actually that’s another part of the feud. Viacom also puts it’s content up for free online and makes ad revenue which competes with TWC.

Remember online broadcasting was also a major part of the writer’s strike earlier this year and potentially part of an actor’s strike this next year.

This is a dynamic which is happening with all the content providers and all the broadcasters, not just TWC and Viacom. You’re going to see this scenario played out with Warner Bros, Disney, Fox, Comcast, ATT, Dish and everyone else. So all you non-TWC subscribers are not immune. It just hasn’t come to you yet.

The emerging online viewing is disrupting the established markets. The content providers, broadcasters, actors, et al are only beginning to figure out how to deal with it.

Sebastian on December 31, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Anyone dumb enough to pay to watch TV …

corona on December 31, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Ditto.

This Viacom ploy is pathetic.

Dorvillian on December 31, 2008 at 5:46 PM

I was really ticked off when they started scrolling their message across the Dora movie my kids were watching this morning… my daughter, with her newly-acquired reading skills, freaked out about Dora and SpongeBob going away. Our cable company is not involved, and I’m still trying to explain this to my unhappy kids.

I don’t know enough to take sides, but I think it was a bit irresponsible to put that crawl on the channels, regardless of cable providers. The idiot responsible for that decision can be stuck in a room with all the ticked-off kids as far as I’m concerned.

Anna on December 31, 2008 at 5:46 PM

No more softcore porn (straight AND gay) on MTV and VH1 piped into my house anymore?? *breaks out the celebratory beer

Wine_N_Dine on December 31, 2008 at 5:47 PM

perroviejo on December 31, 2008 at 3:01 PM

malan89 on December 31, 2008 at 3:04 PM

It’s not that cold out here, but the wind is strong enough to make me stumble today. I’d rather have my kids watching tv right now than to make their colds worse by kicking them outside.

Anna on December 31, 2008 at 5:49 PM

We need to break this Time Warner monopoly in this town, we need to bring in some competition.

DirecTv and Dish TV are not enough – we need more. I hate Time Warner, the only thing keeping me with them is the high speed internet and the package I have is older, they do not offer it anymore – it’s a good deal.

AprilOrit on December 31, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Global warming has made it so that the rug rats can stop watching the Rug Rats and go outside :)

Hey, I say Time Warner shuts them off and lowers my bill. I watch VH1 Classic now and then. The rest of the channels do not even appear in my favorites.

William Teach on December 31, 2008 at 6:02 PM

I was going to get Direct TV, but no one spoke English…

Time Warner doesn’t have the NFL Network either.

Hate em

deedtrader on December 31, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Let ‘em go.

I still have my antenna on my roof. Anything worth watching is available on DVD anyway.

Cable is another one of those government-private partnerships that promised the moon and gave us bupkus. Sorta like our mortgage industry nowadays!

PattyJ on December 31, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Check out ATT Uverse if it is in your area.

William Teach on December 31, 2008 at 6:09 PM

The only 2 stattions I am concerned about losing is TVLand and VH1 Classics.

AprilOrit on December 31, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Check out ATT Uverse if it is in your area.

William Teach on December 31, 2008 at 6:09

It’s not available here unfortunately. Mayor Bloomberg needs to do something to open it up.

I have considered getting the Standard Road Runner @ $45.99/mth and then maybe one of the Satelitte companies, whichever has the better deal. The Basic RR is $24.99, but it is slower. Right now I have the Standard RR at the Basic price because it is bundled into my package.

I just spoke with TW and they say they will reach an agtreement, if not tonight in the next day or two or we will be given a price break, we shall see.

AprilOrit on December 31, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Yawn.

ss396 on December 31, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Tarantino explains why Top Gun is the gayest movie ever.

H/T: The Corner

Mr. Joe on December 31, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Have you guys seen Nickelodeon lately? I haven’t seen a network be more liberal than they are. Which is scary because they try to program our children with this garbage.

scrubbiedude on December 31, 2008 at 7:07 PM

So long as Time Warner keeps showing FNC, TNT, Discovery and History Channel(s), I do not care about the rest. Please tell me none of them are Viacom channels!

HawaiiLwyr on December 31, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Oh and good riddance since I don’t watch any of those networks.

scrubbiedude on December 31, 2008 at 7:08 PM

HawaiiLwyr on December 31, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Going with this.

scrubbiedude on December 31, 2008 at 7:09 PM

I have direct tv.

Dr Evil on December 31, 2008 at 7:16 PM

All this has done is make me investigate new sources for TV and internet. I really don’t care too much about the channel availability but I would like to pay less than I’m paying now.

NTropy on December 31, 2008 at 7:21 PM

MAN I don’t care.

fossten on December 31, 2008 at 7:40 PM

There’s a scroll going across the bottom of my screen right now about this. I’m watching Spike. USA will go, too. I watch both frequently. The CSIs, L&O, The Closer, etc.

Connie on December 31, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Anyone dumb enough to pay to watch TV …

We didn’t even have a TV from 1980 to about 1998. No regrets.
I remember when cable had been around for a while, & I learned that it has commercials. I thought, “People pay for it, AND they watch the ads???”

jgapinoy on December 31, 2008 at 7:41 PM

The original promise of cable was no commercials. Sorta like no tax increases…

Is ATT Universe good? I just wonder about having one provider for TV, internet and phone.

PattyJ on December 31, 2008 at 7:54 PM

My best friend (mother of two) loathes Dora the Explorer. A weeping Dora will get no sympathy from her. In fact, she’ll probably burst out laughing.

Gina on December 31, 2008 at 7:55 PM

TWC here in Raleigh just went up on rates for no reason at all. To hear them boo-hoo about Viacom is ridiculous at best, and nauseating at worst!

SouthernGent on December 31, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Gina on December 31, 2008 at 7:55 PM

How tragic to hate a cartoon character….

AprilOrit on December 31, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Wait, New Yorkers won’t be able to watch Jon Stewart!?!

Where will the Moonbats get their marching orders?

Kensington on December 31, 2008 at 9:00 PM

AT&T Uverse is a beautiful thing. No ugly dish, no weather outages, no worthless cable disservice and unreliability.

paulsur on December 31, 2008 at 9:16 PM

They are also cutting Spike – no one here cares??

AprilOrit on December 31, 2008 at 9:17 PM

PattyJ on December 31, 2008

Yeah. We just launched it in Raleigh, and it is freakin’ sweet, except no sports packages yet, like the NHL or MLB ones. One of my coworkers has it, gets to test, awesome resolution. I can’t get till 3rd quarter.

SouthernGent, call TWC and tell them you are switching to ATT, they will hook you up in a heartbeat, and say “NO!” to a contract. The deal won’t be as great, but, you won’t be locked in. I live in Raleigh, and I know they are concerned about switchers.

William Teach on December 31, 2008 at 9:17 PM

The original promise of cable was no commercials. Sorta like no tax increases…

I have had it a year now, with whole house DVR and HD. I could never go back to the dark ages of cable or sattelite.

paulsur on December 31, 2008 at 9:18 PM

PS: much of the rate hike goes to the launch of about 10 new HD channels.

William Teach on December 31, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Time Warner doesn’t have the NFL Network either.

Both ATT Uverse and Verizon fios do.

paulsur on December 31, 2008 at 9:22 PM

for those who like to do their own due dilligence:

paulsur on December 31, 2008 at 9:26 PM