Video: The surreal, race-baiting Blagojevich press conference; Update: No seat for Burris, says Obama; Update: Blago’s General Counsel quits

posted at 4:39 pm on December 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

A transmission from Bizarroland, where Blago’s only option to make sure Illinois has two Senators in January is to appoint someone himself rather than resign now and let the lieutenant governor make the appointment. I’m giving you four and a half minutes of lowlights, but if you can’t spare the time, skip ahead to 3:25 and watch Rep. Bobby Rush — a former Black Panther and the only person to defeat Barack Obama in an election — stoop to some of the most exquisite race-baiting you’ll ever see. I don’t want to spoil the surprise, but the word lynch makes a cameo. Or rather, its first cameo; a second followed shortly thereafter.

Below that you’ll find Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn responding to Blago by tearing him to pieces.

Update: Another plot twist: The Illinois secretary of state says he won’t certify the appointment. Does he have to?

Update: I told you what it would take to give Reid racial cover on this, right down to the complimentary pat phrase that would be used to describe Burris. And now, right on cue, here it is:

“Roland Burris is a good man and a fine public servant, but the Senate Democrats made it clear weeks ago that they cannot accept an appointment made by a governor who is accused of selling this very Senate seat,” Obama said in a statement. “I agree with their decision, and it is extremely disappointing that Governor Blagojevich has chosen to ignore it. I believe the best resolution would be for the Governor to resign his office and allow a lawful and appropriate process of succession to take place. While Governor Blagojevich is entitled to his day in court, the people of Illinois are entitled to a functioning government and major decisions free of taint and controversy.”

Durbin chimed in, saying the appointment “will lead nowhere.” On to the Supreme Court!

Update: In court, the smart money’s on Blago and Burris.

Update: Tough day for Blagojevich: His General Counsel’s resigned, presumably to help the feds build a case against him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I <3 Blago.

I mean, look at that cat — he ate the canary! And the limelight crack?

This guy is gold.

I also love that he scolded the legislature over denying the people of Illinois an election.

What he did was just business as usual. He knows it, I know it, and most of us here know it. At least he’s upfront about it.

Judging from that grin of his, I’m thinking he’s got the goods on quite a few sh*theels, and if he drags 10 or so under the bus with him, then I’ll call him a hero.

Rae on December 30, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Isn’t there some rule about Presidents, and I suppose POTUS elects, commenting on criminal cases? Something about prejudicing the case?

Blago can never be convicted after all the comments Barack has made calling on him to resign. I bet Fitzpatrick is pissed – and I wouldn’t want to be Barack or Rahm with a pissed off prosecutor lookingfor a new star suspect.

kcewa on December 30, 2008 at 9:25 PM

The Illinois conservative blog has bits and pieces.

Jaibones on December 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM

pilamaye on December 30, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Geez, didn’t mean to hurt your feelings, and I guess I would be kinda upset too, expecially if I hadn’t voted for any of these goofs. You gotta admit though, with all the crap going on out there right now, Blago is sort of amusing, a little, maybe, huh??? Come on, give us a smile, we all have to endure Barry pretty soon, let’s have a little fun while we still can, before the dems tell us what is and isn’t funny. Some fun huh????

clinker46 on December 30, 2008 at 9:29 PM

“Update: No seat for Burris, says Obama

; “..Barry must think he’s God!
…BTW Barry, any comment on the battle between Israel and Hamas? You must feel trapped in the middle, more-so since the church you attended for 20+ years did some pro-hamas print outs, plus the hating Israel thing,
tough titty said the kitty, but the milks still good!

christene on December 30, 2008 at 9:40 PM

christene..completely agree. He has an opinion on the Illinois Senate seat but not Israel? WTF?

tank_killer69 on December 30, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Rae on December 30, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Although it’s a guilty pleasure, I am becoming a fan of Blago in a Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid / folk hero sort of way…. and like you, I hope he drags them all down with him.

tank_killer69 on December 30, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Hey, “we only have one President at a time ” (when it’s politically expedient to duck a reporter’s question)

Red State State of Mind on December 30, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Don’ be ha’in’.

TheSitRep on December 30, 2008 at 6:40 PM

So which is it…?
Don’t hate the playa’, hate the game?
OR
Don’t hate the game, hate the playa?
I can never remember.

Red State State of Mind on December 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Here is a nutball scenario.. Blago gets himselft appointed to Rhammies house seat, then becomes speaker of the house. After that he turns evidence on obama and gets Biden declared incompetent. Prez Blago gets sworn in before Fitz can run the trial, fires fitz and pardons himself.

First words of his in the oval office.. “Now I’ve got some really F—ing valueable stuff I can F—-Ing sell”

Yeah, that sounds crazy but who woulda thunk we’d ever have a marxist leaning president who is friends with terrorists and whose pastor yells God DAMN america?? IF I had thrown that scenario out 10 years ago I would have been called crazy…

bullseye on December 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

IF I had thrown that scenario out 10 years ago I would have been called crazy…

bullseye on December 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

If you had thrown out that scenario two years ago you would have been called crazy.

Red State State of Mind on December 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

FREE BLAGO! Brilliant Move. QUITE Rovian!

iam7545 on December 30, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Either Bobby Rush had marbles in his mouth or he was completely wasted. I could hardly understand a word he said.

Big John on December 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Big John on December 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Oh My Goodness, don’t get Eh started again.
Evidently, the racist bastard had a tumor a few years ago and had part of his jaw removed…..
I like the empty sympathy tank from earlier on this thread. I have NO SYMPATHY for racists that choose a person to succeed a senator because of skin color, not because they are the most qualified person.

HornetSting on December 30, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Yes, I know, Bobby Rush didn’t CHOOSE the new senator, but he did wander up to the microphone and mumble a threat about denying a black man from serving in the senate…..
……Black Panther Anger.

HornetSting on December 30, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Big John on December 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM

I thought it was just me. I’m not trying to be mean, but has he suffered a stroke or some sort of malady that would interfere with normal speech?

Laura in Maryland on December 30, 2008 at 11:33 PM

I think several people have mentioned he has had a tumor removed from his jaw.

INC on December 30, 2008 at 11:38 PM

That doesn’t justify his words and actions, but it does explain his speech.

INC on December 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Laura in Maryland on December 30, 2008 at 11:33 PM

He is a cancer survivor.

He had a very rare form, a tumor on one of his salivary glands lying beneath a lymph node. He was lucky he was diagnosed when he was, it’s almost as sinister as lymphoma, and lymphoma is the black sheep of them all – according to my hematologist/oncologist.

He’s really lucky to be alive.

AprilOrit on December 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM

He’s really lucky to be alive.

AprilOrit on December 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM

I guess God spares RACISTS too.

HornetSting on December 31, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Oh my. Obama just leaves a trail of trouble everywhere, now doesn’t he. He’s not even in the White House yet, and already there’s a huge scandal just to fill his Senate seat.

Birds of a feather…

Seixon on December 31, 2008 at 12:11 AM

I agree with Rove on this – The Dems look terrible.

AprilOrit on December 31, 2008 at 12:11 AM

Birds of a feather…

Seixon on December 31, 2008 at 12:11 AM

More of the same sour grapes….this is exactly what we were talking about in another thread.

I guess God spares RACISTS too.

HornetSting on December 31, 2008 at 12:01 AM

You know God works in mysterious ways.

AprilOrit on December 31, 2008 at 12:14 AM

I can’t believe that none of the reporters asked the new guy (candidate #8?) if he gave Blago money to get the appointment.

snaggletoothie on December 31, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Let’s all e-mail Harry Reid, pretending to be black, and call him a racist!

Jim62sch on December 31, 2008 at 12:33 AM

I’m totally at a loss as to what crossed Burris’ mind to cause him to appear on a stage anywhere near Blagojevich.

Of course, I (and a whole bunch of others here) am certainly in the minority who thinks this stinks like a dead fish — as we learned from the Obama campaign, the majority believe that accepting aid from bad people does not make you a bad person.

I suspect the Senate will seat him. The Dems need his vote.

unclesmrgol on December 31, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Here is a nutball scenario.. Blago gets himself appointed to Rhammies house seat,

bullseye on December 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Unlikely. Unlike the Senate seat, under Illinois law the House seat is subject to a general election. So any “appointment” would have to be in the context of Blago being elected to the House.

unclesmrgol on December 31, 2008 at 12:58 AM

I hadn’t seen the video before now, but just wow. What a friggin’ buffoon Burris is. What an illiterate, mumbling nitwit. Watching him stand next to Blagojeclown with that idiotic grin is worse than I could have imagined.

Jaibones on December 31, 2008 at 1:20 AM

Watching a guy that is so obviously corrupt as Blago play these kinds of games with the legal system (wait until some of these phone taps hit the press),it makes you wonder what kind of circus it would be if the terrorist at Gitmo would receive the same rights as American citizens,lawyer up,put in civilian courtrooms and play OJ all day.
I know the Gitmo situation has gone on to long but I can’t see them being able to play these games in our courtrooms with A.N.S.W.E.R and Move on lawyers being good for the country.

Maybe we can start getting Military Tribunals for politicians so we don’t have to watch this idiocy either.

After all,we do have some serious problems developing that are going to need focus and serious leadership to solve like
the economy,Jobs,Health care,Iran going nuclear,Iraq,Afghanistan,Israel/Hamas/Hezbollah,and:

Taliban Burning, Beheading Its Way Through Pakistani Valley
Monday , December 29, 2008

Taliban militants are beheading and burning their way through Pakistan’s picturesque Swat Valley, and residents say the insurgents now control most of the mountainous region outside the lawless tribal areas where jihadists thrive.

According to Gates,failed states are our worst national security threats right now:

Robert M. Gates on a Balanced Strategy for the Pentagon
BY Herschel Smith

The United States’ ability to deal with future threats will depend on its performance in current conflicts. To be blunt, to fail — or to be seen to fail — in either Iraq or Afghanistan would be a disastrous blow to U.S. credibility, both among friends and allies and among potential adversaries.
In Iraq, the number of U.S. combat units there will decline over time — as it was going to do no matter who was elected president in November. Still, there will continue to be some kind of U.S. advisory and counterterrorism effort in Iraq for years to come …

The recent past vividly demonstrated the consequences of failing to address adequately the dangers posed by insurgencies and failing states. Terrorist networks can find sanctuary within the borders of a weak nation and strength within the chaos of social breakdown. A nuclear-armed state could collapse into chaos and criminality. The most likely catastrophic threats to the U.S. homeland — for example, that of a U.S. city being poisoned or reduced to rubble by a terrorist attack — are more likely to emanate from failing states than from aggressor states.

We are viewed as economically weak,politically divided,and
seriously distracted which makes us very vulnerable.

We really don’t have time for this circle jerk that is happening on Capitol Hill.

Baxter Greene on December 31, 2008 at 2:00 AM

I <3 Blago.

I mean, look at that cat — he ate the canary! And the limelight crack?

This guy is gold.

I agree 100%. I am LOVING this – and I hope Blago beats the charges. I laughed at that limelight remark. That was classic.

Brilliant maneuver by Blago. Play the game as if you did nothing wrong and are performing your duty, point out the failure of the Congress to call for a special election and appoint someone they would look ridiculous trying to remove.

Yes, he is corrupt as hell – but remaining in power will be a lingering stain reminding all of Obama’s Chicago background. Obama played the same game – we all know that. His wife gets a nice big 6 figure raise and viola! there is a million dollar grant for the hospital.

For once, though the Democrats actually seem to be holding one of their own accountable for their actions. I am convinced that is an effort to sweep the matter quickly so Obama doesn’t get dragged into it.

With Blago in power and Fitz working Rezko and Blago over whatever happens will not be good for Democrats.

Mr Purple on December 31, 2008 at 2:08 AM

This is schadenfreudeliscious.

Why didn’t the dhimmicrats do this to Rev. Wright?

Mojave Mark on December 31, 2008 at 2:25 AM

By accepting Blago’s appointment Burris has demonstrated that he is unfit for any office. I guess Blago could no longer try to sell the senate seat for $$$ so now he is selling for however many racial power chits he can get.

MB4 on December 31, 2008 at 3:07 AM

If I was Blago, I wouldn’t be taking any trips on an airplane. BHO just might Ron Brown him.

elifino on December 31, 2008 at 6:21 AM

What is this supposed to mean?

If someone smoked a little dope as a teenager they can’t have morals or guidelines.

What are you,some holy white nun?

Baxter Greene on December 30, 2008 at 8:57 PM

i was being literal, not sarchastic. everybody i grew up with in that scene had jobs in high school, got married and created families at a reasonable age, etc.

eh on December 31, 2008 at 7:20 AM

Those midnight conferences via Hawaii feed would be so fun to hear! Wonder how many nights it took to come up with it all! I hope they all implode. Dear God in heaven, we deserve better than this!

Coastal Paradise on December 31, 2008 at 7:52 AM

Way to go Blago, whatever ‘Fitz’ has on Blago it likely is no where near the sh8 Blago can dump on Chicago’s political mobsters including Obama’s camp….
Shamelessly stealing a quote from President Bush:
“Yer doin a heck of a (demolition) job Blago” ;)

philly_PA on December 31, 2008 at 8:21 AM

eh on December 31, 2008 at 7:20 AM

Sorry,

Took it the wrong way.

Baxter Greene on December 31, 2008 at 8:28 AM

The Democrats always want it both ways.

Done That on December 31, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Unfortunately this is just the kind of scandal that makes the Dem’s decide military action is the only diversion left to them…maybe Biden saw it coming the whole time…God help us when Barry starts making decisions.

And what is with him, (Barry) having such a decisive opinion on Blago, but no comment on Israel? That’s like knowing whats in The Enquirer, but not the Wall Street Journal!

anniekc on December 31, 2008 at 9:05 AM

It appears that Burris has now jumped into the race baiting game himself:

In an interview Wednesday, Burris didn’t back away from Rush’s assertion. “It is a fact, there are no African-Americans in the United States Senate,” he said on NBC’s “Today.” “Is it racism that is taking place? That’s a question that someone may raise.”

I wonder who that someone would be????

kcarpenter on December 31, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Mr Purple on December 31, 2008 at 2:08 AM

I can see why the democrats elected Blago, he is just their kind of guy…clever, devious, unrepentant, bold, charismatic, corrupt, disloyal…perfect for the liberal democrats, a poster boy.

right2bright on December 31, 2008 at 10:44 AM

It’s not the senators denying numerous African-Americans a senate seat, but the people who elect the senators. To say we “need” many African-American senators is, as you know, blatant racism. It is ridiculous in a republic. We elect men and women to represent us. It is OUR CHOICE, not that of affirmative action advocates.

The goal is not to have a balanced senate, but one that represents the people as the people chose.

Aronne on December 31, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Gov Blago can’t be a good politician or experienced even, he didn’t you know, even use the phrase, you know, you know, once during that press conference. You know, you can’t be an eloquent camelotian/obamalotter, unless, you know, you speak with alot of you knows, in your press conferences (and your last name ends in Kennedy). Blago has given us top dollar value. He only has to hold on until the courts rule that what he did was lawful (suit by Burris). The repubs should bring up a resolution to seat Burris immediately, while they still have 49 seats. Let the dems then vote against seating him, so that Burris could immediately go to Court to be reinstated (or if a majority of senators vote for seating Burris, that would be egg on the face of Harry Reid. Indeed, do it now, so that if Reid tries to bring up a second unseating after the new senate takes office, it will totally undermine Reid and the dems in Court. He was good enough in December, but not in January? Good luck with that.

eaglewingz08 on December 31, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Perhaps Rod-boy MEANT that he wasn’t going to take money for the appointment. Parsing semantics is the name of the game.
I’d use the hook on this puerile toad.

Christine on December 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Baxter Greene on December 31, 2008 at 2:00 AM

For over a year, we’ve heard about Obama’s ties to Blago, Rezko, Auchi and numerous other unsavory Chicagoans. The old media ignored it, called it “guilt by association,” and crowned Obama the “post-racial candidate” and his presidency the second coming of Camelot.

The nitty-gritty reality is now oozing through the cracks, but “we” aren’t responsible for the “circle jerk” — the 52% of the country that voted for him can thank themselves for this circus.

For those who say Blago’s antics aren’t Obama’s fault, let’s be clear: he’s now the leader of the Dem party, and he was unanimously supported by Illinois Dems. A strong and swift statement urging the IL legislature to quickly pass legislation to enact a special election would have avoided all this, but neither he nor they wanted to take the chance of losing the seat. They — and him — blew a chance to at least appear to be trying to clean up their rancid politics, but they’ll keep that seat, and that’s really all that matters.

I hope Blago keeps on truckin’ — if ever a party deserved someone like him, Barry and Dems do.

Nichevo on December 31, 2008 at 1:23 PM

The Lt Gov is pissed since he already spent the money he expected to receive for making the nomination. Do hookers give rebates under these cicumstances?

David in ATL on December 31, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Identity politics is what brung us all this. We deserve it royally. Idiots, governed by greater idiots.

Blago is a public relations genius!!!

Entelechy on December 31, 2008 at 4:45 PM

O, so rich, so wisely applicable across the board are Obama’s words.

“I believe the best resolution would be for the Governor president-elect to resign his office and allow a lawful and appropriate process of succession to take place. While Governor Blagojevich P-E Obama is entitled to his day in court, the people of Illinois America are entitled to a functioning government and major decisions free of taint and controversy.”

hm

maverick muse on December 31, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Plus, lots of new witnesses are lining up.
The Blagosphere is growing!

jgapinoy on December 31, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Sorry I came late to this one. But’s here’s the summation of the article in the Sun Times by Chris Fusco:

“Quinlan has not been accused of any wrongdoing, though it is widely believed that he would be able to assist federal prosecutors in their case against Blagojevich. It is unknown whether Quinlan has agreed to cooperate in the investigation.”

Ed you aluded thus, and so my now and future reaction to this is:

1) Only tell your attorney as much as he needs to know for this current case. Priviledged info-what?
2) Have more on him than he does on you.
3) Never buy lunch, although buy him a drink if he just
a. Got you laid,
b. Got you out, or
c. Got you money.
4) Treat him like the tool he is.
5) Always double check what he tells you.

OkieDoc on December 31, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Nichevo on December 31, 2008 at 1:23 PM

I am right there with you,if you look at my earlier posts,I give the democrats no quarter for this circus.

My point is (I may not have made it clear) is that they spent the last 8 yrs. telling everybody how corrupt Republicans are,and that they were smarter and could do a better job.
Well their Messiah has not even been sworn in yet and he has gone back on many promises including the foundations that he ran on and that was ending the Iraq war and change in how things were done on capital hill.(I support the Iraq/Afghanistan war and am proud of the 50 million we have freed from tyranny,but Obama and the democrats have advocated immediate withdrawl for years.They have the control now,why have they changed their minds and taken on Bush’s policies).

Obama has taken the same approach to Iraq that Bush did and that is to bring troops home based on conditions on the ground.
Democrats from Rangel,Spitzer,Blago,to Dodd are up to their necks in corruption,lies and the democratic congress is the worst in History.

This democratic lead government is nothing but a cluster-fu#k and Obama has not even been sworn in yet.

With the serious issues we have going on,we don’t have the time economically or grace period internationally for this democratic circus.

I have listened to democrats tell the nation for 8 years how much smarter they are than everybody else.They had better start showing it because reality is going to hit the
“hope and change” crowd like a Mack truck and if they don’t have their sh!t together,we are all going to suffer.They are the ones in total control,President,Senate,House.

They have had control of Congress since 2006.
This is not a credible and confidence building start to the
“Yes we can” era.

Baxter Greene on January 1, 2009 at 2:07 AM

If bobby rush and the rest of illinois think it’s so important to have an african-American senator, let them elect one. Oh yeah, they did but he never did the job he was elected to do, he looked for a promotion they day he got the job.

peacenprosperity on January 1, 2009 at 7:23 AM

Damn racist.

drjohn on January 1, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Dear God in heaven, we deserve better than this!

Coastal Paradise on December 31, 2008 at 7:52 AM

No, we most certainly do not.

Jaibones on January 2, 2009 at 9:52 AM