Video: IDF humanitarian shipments to Gaza

posted at 12:00 pm on December 29, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The IDF has begun to get the hang of the Intertubes.  It has established a North American liaison to media and bloggers and started pushing out video to ensure that the Israelis can work around established media when necessary.  Today, as the IDF continues its assault on Hamas positions in Gaza, they want to make sure that people see that they have not stopped humanitarian deliveries to Gazans:

The Red Cross complained that Israel had slowed transit of their aid and medical supplies during an interview with the BBC. Their spokesperson claims that the IDF allowed as much through the Kerem Shalom crossing as the Red Cross requested, and would have allowed more if the Red Cross had asked for more. The IDF obviously has a heightened sense of media play and wants to head off any suggestion that they are attacking Gazans in general rather than Hamas specifically. The videos are intended to underscore that message.

Perhaps they shouldn’t have worried. The BBC report seems balanced, noting prominently Israel’s stated objectives against Hamas and taking care to differentiate the targets of Israel’s air raids:

Israeli air raids have pounded the Gaza Strip for a third day, hitting key sites linked to militant group Hamas.

Gaza’s interior ministry and Islamic University were the latest targets.

Hamas says 312 Palestinians have died since Saturday, of which the UN says 57 were civilians. In Israel, a second person was killed by a militant rocket.

Defence Minister Ehud Barak said Israel was not fighting the people of Gaza but was in “a war to the bitter end” with Hamas, which has ruled Gaza since 2007.

The BBC also reported on Israel’s call-up of reservists without hysteria, noting that the 6500 mobilized would not be enough to reoccupy Gaza. So far, the IDF seems to have something it rarely receives: a decent shake from the global media. Perhaps even journalists have tired of Hamas and their terrorist activities on behalf of Iran and the mullahcracy.

Comments

Good report. Sorry to be nitpicky, but… “It have established…?”

cs89 on December 29, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Wait a minute – what about all the hysterical comments about the “anti-Semitic media” that have been posted here in the last three days?

corona on December 29, 2008 at 12:08 PM

I’ve noticed this too, and I have to admit it feels really strange! After years and years of conditioning the other way, I find this non-hyperventilating coverage of Israeli action a little twilight zone-ish.

Weight of Glory on December 29, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Nope, just the rapidly expanding disease known as Change. If Obama is going to stand with Israel, then there must be something worth standing with. The media is just setting up their narrative.

jimmy the notable on December 29, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Also nitpicky, but shouldn’t they get the ‘hang’ of the internet?

BadgerHawk on December 29, 2008 at 12:12 PM

The BBC and other news organizations will be walking on eggshells waiting for The Black Caesar’s reaction to all of this. If they could simply tie it into the “Bush war machine,” they could go about their typical Israel bashing. But they don’t want to be out-of-step with the new administration.

If (and when) Obama parrots the Bush line of encouraging restraint, the Left can decide just how hard to hit Israel over the head on this. The problem for the left media and tha Arab world, is that Hamas clearly asked for this and brought it on at a level not seen in the past.

grdred944 on December 29, 2008 at 12:13 PM

I wouldn’t count on it.

GT on December 29, 2008 at 12:14 PM

corona on December 29, 2008 at 12:08 PM

The comments about the media are consistent with past media coverage — this BBC report is, in fact, out of character for them. Maybe they are starting to pay attention to the Iranian connection, and Iran is starting to make them nervous, given that they’ll be within its range.

And much of the current media coverage is slanted against Israel, albeit not as drastically as has been the case for much of the last 9 years.

ProfessorMiao on December 29, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Maybe if Israel didn’t give the Palestinians food and medicine, they would have to go get paying jobs instead of firing rockets at Israel biting the hand that feeds them.

Kafir on December 29, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Early on in this Israeli offensive I saw reporters trying to attack Israel but their search for Gazans who would bad mouth Israel seemed to only turn up people who blamed Hamas for the problem. So the dinosaur media have retrenched and mainly attacked the Israelis for screwing up Obama’s putative peace plan.

snaggletoothie on December 29, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Well, I’m sure that even if the MSM doesn’t cover the IDF bringing in humanitarian supplies, they’ll cover uber moonbat Cynthia McKinney doing the same.

flipflop on December 29, 2008 at 12:22 PM

If Obama is going to stand with Israel….

jimmy the notable on December 29, 2008 at 12:11 PM

When did Osama Obama definitively state that he was “standing with Israel?”

I’ve heard a few vague lies promises from him, but like all his other pronouncements, none that I’d take to the bank.

MrScribbler on December 29, 2008 at 12:29 PM

“The IDF obviously has a heightened sense of media play and wants to head off any suggestion that they are attacking Gazans in general rather than Hamas specifically.”

OK so the humanitarian aid which has been held up by the IDF until last Friday is getting through. Good. The fact of the matter, however, is that water, emergency rations, and medical supplies have been blockaded for months from reaching all the people of Gaza. I understand that the current strikes are targeted at Hamas and the paramilitary infrastructure and I understand that they want to place economic restrictions on the enclave… those are understandable policies. If they don’t intend to harm the population at large then why is it that they have blocked medical and emergency relief supplies at all?

lexhamfox on December 29, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Send them jack-in-the-boxes, that would be a real hoot.

NoDonkey on December 29, 2008 at 12:35 PM

“OK so the humanitarian aid which has been held up by the IDF until last Friday is getting through.”

Boo-hoo for the terror state and the people who voted them in.

What humanitarian did the residents of Hiroshima and Dresden receive?

Hand brooms and little dust pans?

That’s what the Palestinians should get.

They begged for this war, they all are aching to see Allah, carpet bomb Gaza and be done with it.

NoDonkey on December 29, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Not nitpicky at all — I write for a living and am supposed to catch those. They’re artifacts from some rewrites on that first paragraph. Sorry!

Ed Morrissey on December 29, 2008 at 12:38 PM

IRAN claims to be sending some aid. I wonder in what form? More ammo?

johnnyU on December 29, 2008 at 12:50 PM

This is from Ed’s earlier thread today from reader angelat0763

And Israel blocked food and medicine into Gaza, essentially turning it into 1 big concentration camp. (Ah, the irony.)

I hope they nuke each other into oblivion so the rest of us can go on with out lives.

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 12:29 PM

That’s right angelat0763. Those evil Jooooos are starving the helpless Palis to death. Man, don’t you just hate facts. They just get in the way of your racist opinions.

Lance Murdock on December 29, 2008 at 12:57 PM

The rest of the world should piss off. This is not the war to end all wars but one of a series of armed conflicts that the Israelis are forced into.

Obama and the leftards, including the pro-Israel leftards think the peace plan where Israel withdraws to the 1967 borders, splits Jerusalem, and offers the right of return or compensation to arabs is just. They’re nuts. The Israelis gave back Gaza and it has been nothing but a launching pad for rockets ever since.

Blake on December 29, 2008 at 1:05 PM

IRAN claims to be sending some aid. I wonder in what form? More ammo?

johnnyU on December 29, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Wouldn’t surprise me at all!
send it back.

christene on December 29, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Where in the BBC link is the interview with the Red Cross official re delivery of humanitarian supplies?

charlesbird on December 29, 2008 at 1:11 PM

corona on December 29, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Just wait a couple of days. In ’06, the media was doing great reports about the offensives in Gaza and Lebanon for a few days, then suddenly it became “THE ISRAELIS ARE WORSE THAN HITLER”!!!!

It’ll happen again. Trust me.

mjk on December 29, 2008 at 1:20 PM

I’d like to think that blogs from around the world have helped the current generation of journalists realise that their audience can cope with far more complexity and subtlety than they might previously have expected and that, as a consequence, those journalists have upped their game and started to pay more attention to the facts and the reasons.

This is one reason I am grateful that Hotairians generally keep the debate clean and pithy. A polite and articulate debate is, I think, more influential than a vulgar one. We argue amongst ourselves for our own amusement and education but our debates might also influence the opinions of people who have, or will one day have, lots more influence or power than most of us will ever have.

YiZhangZhe on December 29, 2008 at 1:34 PM

The msm is overwhelmed by leftards and therefore very anti-semitic. That the BBC took a very brief respite from bashing the jews is meaningless.

Blake on December 29, 2008 at 1:36 PM

I’d like to point out with all the semi-relief about the lack of media blood libels against Israel as of yet in this military action, we also saw the exact same thing two and a half years ago in Lebanon. It was only after a few days of bombing that the MSM started turning all out against Israel. At first, they had few critical things to say.

My guess is that it will happen exactly the same way again.

Summer on December 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM

For those surprised by the MSM coverage of Israel’s offensive thus far, just remember how enthusiasticly they rode along with our troops at the beginning of the Iraq War. We all know where the coverage went from there.

mtbunji on December 29, 2008 at 1:42 PM

My guess is that it will happen exactly the same way again.

Summer on December 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Bingo. And the end will come much sooner if one of Israel’s smart bombs gets stupid.

ProfessorMiao on December 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Gaza also has a border with Egypt. So how could Israel alone stop humanitarian aid? I have seen for decades now that Israel alone seems to be blamed for the plight of the Palestinians especially by Muslim countries. But these seemingly humanitarian and sensitive Muslim countries will give little to the Palestinians besides military aid.

snaggletoothie on December 29, 2008 at 2:15 PM

They just get in the way of your racist opinions.

Lance Murdock on December 29, 2008 at 12:57 PM

I would like to think that you’re joking, but sadly I know you’re not. Israel is, by it’s very nature the most racist country on earth. In case you didn’t notice, they wanted to own that land only because their genetics somehow makes them holier than everybody else on the face of the planet or something. But because I don’t give a crap if they survive or not, and I don’t like supporting them with my hard earned tax money, I am racist? Go back to the left where you came from, neocon.

I believe rights belong to individuals, not groups.

These people (the entire Middle East, not just Israel) drain far too much time, energy and money from us than they’re worth.

I still stand by my statement. The reports that Israel was depriving food and medicine to Gaza have been out there from multiple sources for months.

Earlier comments indicated tat Israel needed to start managing their media to do some damage control, and that’s all this is.

They let one boat in, and all is forgiven. Whatever. Like I said, the entire Middle East can all die in one big explosion and the world should consider it a favor.

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM

a

ngelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Racist, no. Anti-semitic whackjob, definitely.

Blake on December 29, 2008 at 2:24 PM

“Gaza also has a border with Egypt. So how could Israel alone stop humanitarian aid?”

Because Egypt doesn’t want these people either, nor does any other Middle Eastern country, all of which could have absorbed the “palestinians” years ago if they felt so sorry for them.

They know that the “palestinians” are all lazy criminals and Middle Eastern countries are well stocked when it comes to that commodity, so in “palestine” they’ve sat for five plus decades.

NoDonkey on December 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM

I gather that you have some difficulty with complex concepts, but your second sentence in the part I’ve quoted is what signals you as an antisemite. Unless you didn’t really intend to imply that Jews have no historic connection to the land of Israel and were just trying to be cute?

ProfessorMiao on December 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM

ProfessorMiao on December 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM

I have no interest in their historic connection. The fact that there are important Muslim religious sites there indicates that there are shared connections to the land, but I personally have no connection to them.

Land changes hands as the spoil of war, Israel has it now, but I don’t think they have any god given right to stay there. If they can hold it, fine. If they can’t, too bad. I don’t care either way. I just don’t want to financially support either side, and I won’t send my kids over to fight for their “rights,” either.

And as for my other point, Google “Israel Food Embargo” to see article after article about the fact that Gaza has indeed has been shut off from food and medicine. Just because HotAir.com didn’t write about it and the future hostility that might result doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:36 PM

And stop with the “antisemite” crap. That’s just juevenile.

I don’t hate Jews, I just don’t respect them any more than I respect anybody else. I don’t care about people’s heritage, skin color, religious affiliation….nothing. Again, and here’s a complex concept for you – I believe that rights belong to individuals, not groups.

If you think that Jews have special rights based on their lineage, that makes you the racist, doesn’t it?

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:39 PM

They didn’t. Egypt’s borders were already closed, though.

And because there seems to be some soccer-field mentality about war around here today, you will all be very happy to know that reports indicate that Egypt is shooting refugees trying to to leave.

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:44 PM

ProfessorMiao on December 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Then I trust you would never agree that your country should ever ask for any other’s support when you are attacked.

No, I agree with you – the UN isn’t God, and it was the UN that granted them the right to nationhood there.

Maybe you’ll think differently when the next serious Islamic attack on the US hits. Israel has shared intelligence about various US interests in the Middle East (remember the nuclear reactor in Syria?). Or do you think that Islamists target the US only because it supports Israel? BTW, do you have a problem with all US alliances, or just this one?

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I go much farther afield than HotAir for news, and am aware that Israel has on occasion placed embargos on Gaza, just as other countries have embargoed those they have seen as threats (i.e., the world vs Iraq after 1991). I’m also well aware that Egypt has similarly refused to allow shipments through its border with Gaza, but notice you don’t seem to have your knickers in a knot about that.

ProfessorMiao on December 29, 2008 at 2:48 PM

And stop with the “antisemite” crap. That’s just juevenile.

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:39 PM

What about the rights of the individuals of Sderot to live without a constant rain of kassam rockets?

ProfessorMiao on December 29, 2008 at 2:50 PM

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:39 PM

So according your twisted logic, its okay for Egypt to fire upon “helpless” Palestinians trying to escape “the mother of all genocides the world has ever seen” because Arabs trying to kill other Arabs is okay, but Jews trying to protect their own citizens are is the most evil thing on the face of the earth. Gotcha.

BTW here are some inconvenient facts for you. Not that it matters though, your “logic” is not based on facts only your Mother Sheehan view of the world.

Facts they burn my eyes!!!!

Lance Murdock on December 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM

And stop with the “antisemite” crap. That’s just juevenile.

The only juvenile is you, my jew hating child.

Right. Next you will tell us that some of your best friends are Jews, or, that you don’t hate Jews, only Israelis. Heard it all before, Irma G.

The 3 Ds always give your type away: You demonize or delegitimize Israel and then apply double standards to it.

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Here’s a complex concept for you: I believe, like the majority of people here, that Israel has the right to exist in peace. Statements like yours above just make you another anti-semite.

Blake on December 29, 2008 at 3:00 PM

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Hey smart guy, let me tell you the real reason why the Israel-Palestinian is the world’s number one issue. Arabs are a bunch of racist, inferiority-complex people. They believe they are best race out there and no one can be better than them. So here comes so Jews, reclaim their homeland but willing to share half of it with the Arabs anyway. What do the the Arabs do, whine and try to kill all the Jews anyway. Also the reason why the UN is obsessive with Israel is because Islamic countries make up 50% percent of the UN body. Go figure. But not according to you the Arabs can do no wrong and only the evil Joooos are at fault.

But here a few minor details for your simple mind. Not that it matters though. A scumbag like yourself will never want to know the real facts, otherwise you might have to change your preordained position.

Here are multiple reports on how those “evil” Zionist are starving the Palestinians to death:

No not facts! It burns my eyes!!!!

Lance Murdock on December 29, 2008 at 3:02 PM

I love angelat0763′s statement saying I don’t hate Jews, I just hate Zionists. So I guess you hate Americans who love their country, or Mexicans who are proud to be Mexicans or Iraqis proud to be Iraqis, et al. I could go on but I made my point.

Lance Murdock on December 29, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Oh, nos!! Angela-what’s-her-name doesn’t hate Jews, but basically admits to hating Zionists!!!

What is a Zionist like myself going to do??? Am I going to lose sleep over some little wimp who probably can’t be bothered to, oh say, GO to Israel and see what it’s really like thinks of me????

Oh, wait.

Truth be told, I couldn’t give a rat’s patootie if the Palestinians have a state. They technically have one in Gaza, Bethlehem, Bethany, Jericho, Ramallah and any other rat’s nest neighbouring Israel and wow, has that ever turned out well!! The fact is they have no interest in a state, they sure do have an interest in “Itbach Al-Yahud!” though.

Oh, well, I’m sure I’m wrong and Angie and all her types are right……

(but I don’t give a rat’s a** though)

mjk on December 29, 2008 at 3:37 PM

The International Red Cross is very left, liberal and anti Israel. As far as the humanitarian aid goes, Israel should heed what the UN, left and all are saying about the disproportional military action and say ok we will stop the disproportional aid since we haven’t got any from these malcreants yet!

wepeople on December 29, 2008 at 9:46 PM

jimmy the notable on December 29, 2008 at

You got that right!

Herb on December 30, 2008 at 11:29 AM

the Israel-Palestinian is the world’s number one issue.

Says who? How does this effect the price of tea in China?

corona on December 30, 2008 at 12:23 PM