Poll: Six in 10 active-duty service members uncertain or pessimistic about Obama

posted at 3:36 pm on December 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Not surprising — Military Times subscribers favored McCain by 45 points in October — but not good news either.

The survey overrepresents soldiers and underrepresents minorities, women and junior enlisted service members, so bear that in mind.

In follow-up interviews, respondents expressed concerns about Obama’s lack of military service and experience leading men and women in uniform.

“Being that the Marine Corps can be sent anywhere in the world with the snap of his fingers, nobody has confidence in this guy as commander in chief,” said one lance corporal who asked not to be identified…

“How are you going to safely pull combat troops out of Iraq?” said Air Force 1st Lt. Rachel Kleinpeter, an intelligence officer with the 100th Operations Support Squadron at RAF Mildenhall, England. “And if you’re pulling out combat troops, who are you leaving to help support what’s left? What happens if Iraq falls back into chaos? Are we going to be there in five years doing the same thing over again?”…

While nearly half of the respondents said they disapprove of Obama’s proposal to withdraw combat brigades from Iraq within 16 months of taking office, a slightly higher percentage said they support the Status of Forces Agreement calling for U.S. forces to leave the country by the end of 2011.

I’ve always wondered to what extent Clinton’s ongoing intervention in Somalia in 1993 (which was launched by Bush after the 1992 election in concert with the UN) was designed as a show of strength, not just to enemies who might otherwise perceive a young Democrat as “soft” but to our own troops who might harbor the same doubts. If so, it, er, ended poorly. Are there any obvious trouble spots where The One might project a little force of his own to assert command? Eight in 10 respondents surveyed by MT support a build-up in Afghanistan, as of course does Obama, so he’s bound to earn some goodwill when he follows through on that. Same goes for any predator strikes in Waziristan, of course. Exit question: If that’s not enough, how about … Somalia!

Comments

Watch Africa closely. Obama may be backed up to the wall by the UN over Mugabe.

grdred944 on December 29, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Well thats not good.

ernesto on December 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Darfur?

amerpundit on December 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Give it 6 months and those numbers should go up, all the way across America as a matter of fact. Up as in in 8 out of 10 disapprove.

Just A Grunt on December 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Afghanistan + more aggression in the tribal regions will do quite nicely.

Until he follows through with it, though, count me as uncertain.

BadgerHawk on December 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM

My son, an active duty Marine, will have the option to re-enlist in 2 more years. As of today, its wait and see.

Repubtallygirl on December 29, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Well thats not good.

ernesto on December 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM

No it’s not, but can you blame us? And I say that as someone who’s generally optimistic and wants to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

BadgerHawk on December 29, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Somalia needs immediate attention, it’s been bubbling for years. Does the One know that? Not sure.

scalleywag on December 29, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Well thats not good.

ernesto on December 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM

I was actually thinking it was. I expected it to be much worse.

Esthier on December 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Just a reminder. Could this be why?

“First, I’ll stop spending $9 billion a month in Iraq. I’m the only major candidate who opposed this war from the beginning. And as president I will end it.

Second, I will cut tens of billions of dollars in wasteful spending.

I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems.

I will not weaponize space.

I will slow our development of future combat systems.

And I will institute an independent “Defense Priorities Board” to ensure that the Quadrennial Defense Review is not used to justify unnecessary spending.

Third, I will set a goal of a world without nuclear weapons. To seek that goal, I will not develop new nuclear weapons; I will seek a global ban on the production of fissile material; and I will negotiate with Russia to take our ICBMs off hair-trigger alert, and to achieve deep cuts in our nuclear arsenals.”

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Obama will send in troops to get his cousin back in power in Kenya.

faraway on December 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM

My husband is up for reenlistment again in 2010. He’s been thinking of getting out for some time now, but with Obama in the White House, he might actually stay in. After all, it’s a pretty darn reliable paycheck – and we’re worried about all the damage the new CinC can do domestically. It does our blood pressure no good to think of foreign affairs in the near future.

I just hope my husband’s fellow service members love their country more than they hate their new CinC – Presidents come and go, but America will carry on, with the help of troops that love her.

Anna on December 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM

But, hey, he supports the troops! He visited them for a whole hour over his Christmas vacation!

dish on December 29, 2008 at 3:52 PM

In the military, we are led by men who have made it through the ranks.

You don’t get to be Captain in charge of a Company, without first being a second lieutenant or a first lieutenant.

Obama went to the recruiting station, spent a couple of years as a General, and now is the Commander in Chief.

It takes twenty years to go from E-1 to E-9 and twenty years to go from O-1 to O-6.

This guy did it all in three years.

Of course they have no respect for him. He gamed the system, he skated and everyone knows it.

NoDonkey on December 29, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Obama will send in troops to get his cousin back in power in Kenya.

faraway on December 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Ahhh. Nepotism at its global finest.

Che’nge we can believe in!

RickZ on December 29, 2008 at 3:55 PM

He attacks the military during the campaign, and now wants them to respect him?

He has to earn that.

kingsjester on December 29, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Obama needs the troops. He needs a good gym every place he goes so he can work out and show us his uber-pecs.

faraway on December 29, 2008 at 3:56 PM

I suspect that 4 in 10 would throw their shoes at Obama.

faraway on December 29, 2008 at 3:56 PM

scalleywag on December 29, 2008 at 3:50 PM

It’s been a failed state for close to 2 decades. That’s quite a bubble.

BadgerHawk on December 29, 2008 at 3:58 PM

dish on December 29, 2008 at 3:52 PM

And what a lovely time it was!

Obama Visits Marine Corps Base for Christmas

December 26, 2008 8:34 AM

FROM ABC NEWS’ SUNLEN MILLER IN HAWAII:

President-elect Obama stopped by the Marine Corps base in Hawaii Kaneche Bay where servicemen and -women were eating Christmas dinner in Kailua Thursday evening.

“Just wanted to say hi, hey guys,” Obama said as he walked into the Anderson dining hall which was decked out in Christmas decorations.

The diners represented seven military units — Marine and Navy — some of whom were joined by their families for Christmas dinner.

As Obama entered the room, it was absent of the regular fanfare of cheering and clapping. The diners were polite, staying seated at their respective tables and waited for the president-elect to come to them to stand up.

Obama, dressed casually in a blue polo shirt and dark khaki trousers, worked his way around the room — table by table — and took pictures with the service members. He slapped them on the back at times, shook hands, and signed some autographs.

“Hey guys, Merry Christmas,” The president-elect said as he walked from table to table.

The servicemen and -women were already seated at their holiday dinner when the president-elect made his impromptu visit. They were dining on salad, candied sweet potato with marshmallow topping, cream of mushroom soup, mashed potatoes, beef, ham, turkey, broccoli and corn.

The president-elect spent about an hour with the troops. Obama transition aides say that Obama did not eat with the uniformed men and women — he ate at his beach home with his family and friends Christmas night.

- Sunlen Miller

What, the military can’t afford arugula?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 29, 2008 at 3:59 PM

LOL a military coup in the works? Good god tyhe USa is turning into Zimbabwe before my very eyes.

unseen on December 29, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Anna on December 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM

So would your husband be one of the six or is he still waiting to make a judgment?

Esthier on December 29, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Just look where Barry started his political roots-Chicago.
No trail left behind.

christene on December 29, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Esthier on December 29, 2008 at 3:59 PM

He thinks very poorly of Obama, but he is a realist (the military provides for his family, after all). We don’t talk much about the President-elect anymore, it makes him twitchy. Take that how you will.

Anna on December 29, 2008 at 4:04 PM

what if he slashes military spending like clinton did, that is something we are still paying for.

jp on December 29, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Not only hasn’t Obama served in the military but over the summer he was going off at the mouth about how our troops in Iraq were slaughtering women and children indiscriminatly. So I don’t think ‘The Guys’ will be warming up to O any time soon.

sonnyspats1 on December 29, 2008 at 4:07 PM

now that he’s wearing a white sox hat backwards, perhaps all that Obama needs to do to earn more street cred is to get “Thug Life” tatooed to his abs to show off to the world.

eh, he still has to earn his bones. Sorry world.

Now what will be interesting is to see the reaction from the far-left to anything Obama does along these lines. Seeing as how Obama is a card carrying ACLU left member of longstanding and all.

jp on December 29, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Anna on December 29, 2008 at 4:04 PM

It makes anyone whom has served “twitchy”. Can you blame anyone?

You and I both remember what it was like under Clinton. Think of it on a boarder scale with B.O.

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 4:08 PM

don’t forget Burma, it was TNR advocating invading them last year.

but yes, I say something in Africa that helps his friends in Keyna will happen

jp on December 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM

We`re going to have to deal with these pirates anyway, so Somalia is a target. But I`ll bet we avoid ground troops this time.

I will not weaponize space.

We better, cause you know China will.

ThePrez on December 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM

My son is a Captain in Iraq.

Put him down in the “resigned to a rough 4 to 8 years, but willing to stick it out” column.
__________

RJGatorEsq. on December 29, 2008 at 4:10 PM

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 4:08 PM

The worst part for Tim is knowing that his mother voted for him. The last week was uber-fun, to say the least. I’ll say this too, that I’ve been planning a return to government service for a while, and I’m seriously thinking about putting it on hold. I don’t know that I want to work for Obama either.

Anna on December 29, 2008 at 4:11 PM

I am more worried about Russia than Africa at this moment in time.

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 4:11 PM

If I was still in the Military, My B*tt would be puckering each time I considered him as CIC. Don’t blame the Troops a bit.

marcboyd on December 29, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Anna on December 29, 2008 at 4:11 PM

it wasn’t the main reason I decided to not re-enlist again. My Mom was… but this was also in the back of my mind.

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 4:12 PM

upinak, please keep an eye out on Russia for us, will ya.

faraway on December 29, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Yeah, Somalia, what a great idea. That can be our next failed nation-building operation.

lodge on December 29, 2008 at 4:14 PM

it makes him twitchy.

Anna on December 29, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Heh. That made me smile.

Honestly, I do hope that Obama isn’t a disaster, but I just don’t see it. Plus, I’m convinced Biden was correct. Obama can’t be seen as all that strong to other world leaders.

Esthier on December 29, 2008 at 4:14 PM

faraway on December 29, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Hey now… did you read this part of the article?

“It would be reasonable for Russia to lay claim to Alaska; it was part of the Russian Empire for a long time.” A framed satellite image of the Bering Strait that separates Alaska from Russia like a thread hangs from his office wall. “It’s not there for no reason,” he says with a sly grin.

Hmmmm ex KGB (with other ex KGB) in Office in Russia, schemeing. What a Concept!

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Obama can’t be seen as all that strong to other world leaders.

Esthier on December 29, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Which is precisely why they like him, and why I have a nagging feeling in the back of my head. As to Biden, I don’t believe that a man can be wrong 100% of the time, and I’m really hoping this isn’t the time when he’s actually right about something.

Anna on December 29, 2008 at 4:18 PM

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 4:11 PM

ditto, me to for atleast a year now. Russia is about to make a major play, take it to the bank. Sad thing is there are many americans willing to be apologist for Russia to keep the US from doing anything.

Robert Kagan wrote about this in his book, “Return of History” last year. Things like “nationalistic pride” and power, trump the wishful thinking many of us hope for that “if we just trade with nations, we will never go to war with them”

jp on December 29, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Obama might just sell Alaska back to Russia in order to pay for the bailout.

Solves his Palin problem also.

faraway on December 29, 2008 at 4:23 PM

oh, Putin and others are most definitely going to challenge Obama.

The country as a whole, thanks to the Left mostly via MSM has broadcast a message of Weakness to the jackals the world over. They think we are a weak paper tiger and ready to pounce on us to see what they can get. They are emboldened.

My guess is Russia leads by taking Georgia, possibly Ukraine. At the same time Iran makes some sort of play by taking the head nod from Putin as a sign its on, then Venezuala will attempt to do something if they can, probably related to Oil. Wildcard here is China

jp on December 29, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Exit question: If that’s not enough, how about … Somalia!

Good Lord!

Well, if he does we can only hope that he will give commanders on the ground have what they need to accomplish the mission unlike his democrat predecessor.

Yeah, who am I kidding.

conservnut on December 29, 2008 at 4:25 PM

faraway on December 29, 2008 at 4:23 PM

seems like I predicted this, jokingly, on this blog last month.

Ironically, if Putin did try something on Alaska it would give Palin a chance to assert herself in the Foreign Policy arena. However if Obama stood up with her, it’d likely help him enough to win re-election.

jp on December 29, 2008 at 4:27 PM

jp on December 29, 2008 at 4:25 PM

But who will be our allies is the question.

And people wonder why I am making survival packs for winter. Getting lures, Buying ammo and guns. I am not brain dead and there is nothing wrong with stock piling.. to a point.

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 4:28 PM

I am not brain dead and there is nothing wrong with stock piling.. to a point.

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 4:28 PM

I keep a list in my head of all my friends who don’t have guns…I think its easier to loot than stockpile!!!

I’ll just go ‘borrow a cup a sugar’ from them when it all breaks down!!! with my ‘little friend’ (scarface lingo) ;-)

right4life on December 29, 2008 at 4:30 PM

upinak, you don’t have to stay there. You can come down to the lower 48. On 2nd thought, maybe Australia would be better.

faraway on December 29, 2008 at 4:31 PM

faraway on December 29, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Sure why not antarctica as well.

**rolls eyes** get a clue sweetie.

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 4:33 PM

our allies? India?(if so, thank you bush).

then all we have left is Europe, much of which may be at the mercy of Russia if Putin keeps seizing the Oil Pipelines. UK is rapidly detoriating.

hey, we always have Canada though! /sarc

that map showing NC, SC, Va lining up with the Northeast Liberal areas is crazy. That would cause a civil war within those states.

jp on December 29, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Which is precisely why they like him

Anna on December 29, 2008 at 4:18 PM

I think that’s exactly right. They don’t have our best interests at heart. They have their own.

They might not want to see us destroyed, but most want us knocked down a peg or two.

Esthier on December 29, 2008 at 4:36 PM

jp on December 29, 2008 at 4:34 PM

I thought it was odd what the KGB prof said about Obama.. the no hope one. LMFAO! I hope this “prediction” is a false one.

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 4:37 PM

actually if China has sane leadership, they could ally to some degree with Obama in this scenario against Russia. We are closer to China than we’ve ever been, and they are completely dependent on us for their own survival. between our Debt they’ve invested in, and more importantly the US being their Top Trade partner.

jp on December 29, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Count the Wife and me as doubters.

OscarSchneegans on December 29, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM

All that, plus, will give the asshats, the Chinese, Russians, Ahmadinejad, and Chavez & Co. more bragging rights for a ‘new world order’.

Entelechy on December 29, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Really, AP, isn’t it about time you got a job with the Kos? We should just blindly support The One for the good of…blech…the country?

I’m supporting this idiot the way you and the other Dems supported Bush.

klickink.wordpress.com on December 29, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I’m supporting this idiot the way you and the other Dems supported Bush.

klickink.wordpress.com on December 29, 2008 at 4:56 PM

That’s right. Check your patriotism at the door, folks, a Dem’s in charge now, and apparently patriotism is all about the White House, not America.

Esthier on December 29, 2008 at 4:59 PM

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Dude, none of that matters. Like Elmore Leonard wrote: “We all die. It’s just a question of when.” Hombre

But good luck with that. Hope it works out for you, better than it did Koresh, I hope.

klickink.wordpress.com on December 29, 2008 at 5:00 PM

klickink.wordpress.com on December 29, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Ahh okay. Talk to me when you live(d) up here. -35 tonight, can you deal with that?

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Seems to me ya’ll are missing the bigger point.
This
Was on the front page of hot air for days and got quite a few comments too. Seems Old Ed was wishing or dreaming that the military OOPSIE semi-snubed Obama. I think this here perty much proves that all of us Commenters were more spot on that the military thinks hes gonna be worse than a Clinton II

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on December 29, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM

The mill ate my other comment – here the recollection of it…

All those decisions will give arses like the Chinese, Russians, Ahmadinejad, Chavez et co. bragging rights about the new ‘world order’, at the cost of America’s decline. It’s exactly what the lefties here, and around the world, especially in Europe, wish to happen.

Entelechy on December 29, 2008 at 5:08 PM

WV wouldn’t go with the liberal northeast either geesh they left Va because they didn’t agree with slavery what on earth is dude thinking.

tee866 on December 29, 2008 at 5:27 PM

The survey overrepresents soldiers

I presume you mean that mostly Army members were polled.

Obama will send in troops to get his cousin back in power in Kenya.

faraway on December 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM

That cousin–Raila Odinga–has being Kenya’s PM since April. If you’re going to comment on such things, you ought to keep up.

I, too, thought that the numbers of military personnel who are wary of Obama would be higher.

baldilocks on December 29, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Obambi’s numbers that good? Must have taken that poll at a base in Hawaii…

Respect is a real thing in the military. And it’s not given easily.

Hog Wild on December 29, 2008 at 5:39 PM

So that means Hopey/Changey

has a higher rating than

“Slick Willy”!

canopfor on December 29, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Obambi’s numbers that good? Must have taken that poll at a base in Hawaii…

Hog Wild on December 29, 2008 at 5:39 PM

My thoughts exactly. But as a certified teacher, I understand the numbers. Kids the last 30 years – and the last ten are the worse – have been so poorly taught to think that it is plausible. This also explains Obama’s election, to a point. The Media is the main culprit, but our overall lack of reasoning in the US is horrendous.

klickink.wordpress.com on December 29, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Gee what a surprise.

Military people don’t trust and admire the One.

Man, that is really hard to fathom.

After all, he is the master strategist.

Isn’t that just what the military needs?

notagool on December 29, 2008 at 5:55 PM

People are surprised by this? Must be the same people who believe the military is composed of knuckle-dragging morons.

GarandFan on December 29, 2008 at 5:59 PM

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Dudette (so someone informed me – although I prefer the genderless “Dude”), did a year in Korea. High of 5 degrees for 30 days straight, lows around -40. Some days below that, of course. Rode on Korean buses with broken heaters. Went to the movies. Walked to work (Army journalist/PR).

Siiiigh.

Yeah, i could handle that – but why the fark would I want to!?!?!?!?!

Like I said, have fun with that.

klickink.wordpress.com on December 29, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Upinak. Isn’t that a town in Alaska. Seems I know that work from reading Dana Stabenow’s works.

Just wondering.

klickink.wordpress.com on December 29, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Siiiigh.

Yeah, i could handle that – but why the fark would I want to!?!?!?!?!

Like I said, have fun with that.

klickink.wordpress.com on December 29, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Umm I live in Anchorage Alaska… I make survivor packs for people who want one just in case they get stranded on the side of the raod. It will be -35 (without a complete windchill) tonight, and colder in other areas.

And if you are such a “smart” teacher… you would understand abbreviations. Might want to say my name OUT LOUD (like phonics) and maybe you might get an idea. As this “past 30 yrs old” woman had such a horrible education, I obviously am smart enough to at least call you on on being ignorant or at least stupid in this repsect. Also, I don’t like Stabenow’s books, they are boring and I don’t care for science fantacy.

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 6:13 PM

U-P-IN-AK….funny…..

Did I say I was a “smart” teacher? You presume too much!

Uh, Stabenow’s stuff, that I read, are the crime novels. Haven’t read her fluffy SF stuffy. (And I think she’s a Dem like her sister in the lower 48.)

Not saying because you “choose” to live there, that you’re stupid. I said why would “I” want to!

And I’m sure they have good schools up there…where it’s 35-below…and darker more often…and…and…and….

…don’t be so defensive! Upinak, Ipintex….Weeallpinus!!!!

klickink.wordpress.com on December 29, 2008 at 6:48 PM

how about up in ak.

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 6:55 PM

how about up in ak.

upinak on December 29, 2008 at 6:55 PM

No offense, like my interpretation better!

;-)

klickink.wordpress.com on December 29, 2008 at 7:07 PM

No, Really?/sarc

Dr Evil on December 29, 2008 at 7:21 PM

hey, we always have Canada though! /sarc
jp on December 29, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Back to snarking on Canada, I see.
I’m sure the families of the 3 soldiers that are returning home tomorrow in body bags from Afghanistan, will be very pleased to know that our boys’ service in ‘your’ war is appreciated…

pcbedamned on December 29, 2008 at 8:58 PM

maybe the dims will have to reinstate the draft after all!

grapeknutz on December 29, 2008 at 9:39 PM

My guess is Russia leads by taking Georgia, possibly Ukraine. …..

jp on December 29, 2008 at 4:25 PM

I’m expecting a similar series of events to play out in late 2009 or in 2010. Russia’s incursion into Georgia was a dry run and a chance to measure how Western Europe would react. What really concerns me is the state of politics in the Ukraine, where (I’ve read) that about 50 % of the population is pro Russia, and 20 % are actually ethnic Russians. Those are high numbers, and would make it easier for Putin to somehow justify an incursion ala how Hitler was so concerned about ethnic Germans in neighboring countries…..or am I just being paranoid??
If Russia could somehow forge an alliance or a union with the Ukraine they’d be far along in re-constructing the old Russian Empire on the European side of the map.

Red State State of Mind on December 29, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Who wrote this nonsense? The SOFA expires in 2011. Which means that we will either renew the SOFA, adopt a new SOFA, or leave, in 2011. While some idiots on the left think the Army is in Germany on squatter’s rights, we have a SOFA with them. It gets renewed every few years, just like the one in Iraq. If they ever allowed it to expire, then we would leave.

My question is: Given that a SOFA means, fundamentally, that we have made the shift from a state of war in Iraq to a position of peace and cooperation with the Iraqi government, which is the media here at home so keen on insisting that we’re leaving Iraq? Is it an attempt to make their neo Messiah look somewhat on schedule, somewhere between 16 months and 3 years?

Spc Steve on December 29, 2008 at 9:47 PM

RJGatorEsq. on December 29, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Good for your son. Thank him for his service to our nation and let him know we care and will support them no matter waht happens

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 6:34 AM

Anna on December 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM

That’s the only thing which got me through the Clinton years.

I can’t do it for the rest of the time I could stay – which is why I’m retiring.

catmman on December 30, 2008 at 8:02 AM

catmman on December 30, 2008 at 8:02 AM

I can understand how frustrating it must have been for you. My son was a Marine during the Clinton years. It wasn’t the best situation. All of you who stuck it out deserve special credit from those of us who were fortunate to serve under more service friendly presidents.

Not wanting to go through that again is a legitimate concern. As an American I can tell you you and others like you are the reason I do not dispair. I know you di it for us. All of us. You protected us and kept us safe. Since 9/11 your constant vigilance and courage has seen our nation through some very trying times. Without your being there who knows what might have happened.

I wish you the very best. You are an unsung hero. When you retire, always remember you have my thanks and admiration for having served this nation for so long. It is a rare person who would have done that under these circumstances. May your future be happy and your family safe and healthy. That is what your sacrifice gave to mine all these years. Thank you! I salute you. As a Marine I would say Semper Fi! and OOHRAH! but I don’t know if you are. It means always faithful and you certainly have been that no matter what branch of service you are in.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 8:48 AM

That number sounds a bit low.

Vashta.Nerada on December 30, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Wolverines!!!

pseudonominus on December 30, 2008 at 10:32 AM

pcbedamned on December 29, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Obviously Americans respect and appreciate the service of all those who serve in Afghanistan and especially honor those who have been lost.

But it should be noted that the fight in Afghanistan is a fight against global terrorists and their enablers. While the US is doing most of the fighting and dying, it is hardly “our” war, as Islamic inspired terrorism has touched nearly every part of the globe in one way or another. The outcome of the Afghan war has far reaching ramifications for all western liberal democratic societies and anyone for whom radical Islamists wish to target.

Most Americans are willing to bear the burden for the collective good because so few other countries in the world have the capacity or interest to look after them selves.

You’re inadvertently swerved into the crux of the problem, so few countries and people are sufficiently invested in the war and as such are capable of calling it “your” war instead of more accurately calling it “our” war.

moxie_neanderthal on December 30, 2008 at 11:00 AM

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Thank you for the kind words and for the thanks!

People like you are one of the best reasons my service has been fulfilling. It has been my honor and privilege to serve this nation and it’s citizens.

catmman on December 30, 2008 at 12:41 PM