Video: The more you know about Caroline…

posted at 1:15 pm on December 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

Silly fun from Cuffy Meigs. The audio’s no outlier, either: Try counting how many times “you know” appears in the transcript of her chat with NY1 on Friday. My favorite soundbite featured no fewer than three utterances in the span of 20 words.

There is a serious point here, actually. Slowly but surely, right down to her verbal tic, she’s proving she’s not ready for primetime as a national politician. (Cf. the left and SNL goofing on Palin’s tortured syntax.) With all the money and cronyism behind her, the only way she could blow this appointment is by making herself seem ridiculous — and darned if she’s not doing it. I’m amazed at how much skepticism, if not outright disdain, crept into the tone of the new NYT story on their interview with Caroline, culminating in Princess getting irritated and asking the reporters whether they’ve ever thought of writing for a women’s magazine. That was last night; this morning brings Michael Goodwin, Pulitzer-winner from the Daily News, finally acknowledging that the empress has no clothes. And not being real polite about it:

That truth is that Kennedy is not ready for the job and doesn’t deserve it. Somebody who loves her should tell her.

Her quest is becoming a cringe-inducing experience, as painful to watch as it must be to endure. Because she is the only survivor of that dreamy time nearly 50 years ago, she remains an iconic figure. But in the last few days, her mini-campaign has proved she has little to offer New Yorkers except her name…

Even the one job she had in public life has come into question. Apparently on the basis of a chance meeting with New York’s schools chancellor at a party on Martha’s Vineyard, she signed on as a part-time fund-raiser. How much she raised and how much she worked have been challenged, but no matter. The point is that this self-described advocate for the public schools did not send her children to them.

Enough.

Limousine liberals are a dime a dozen, and carpetbaggers are nothing new in New York. And with the social scene constantly churning out the old for the next new thing, there’s no reason middle-aged dilettantes can’t also try their hand at politics.

They just can’t start in the Senate.

Likelihood of her appointment 10 days ago, per InTrade: 85 percent. Today: 53.5, down four points from yesterday.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Illinidiva on December 28, 2008 at 8:57 PM

That’s not the impression that I got but, hey, not the first time I’ve been wrong and an utterly moot point since RFK was killed.

Nevertheless, it’s interesting to ponder RFK instead of Nixon. Which, of course, means no Watergate. Do you think that RFK would have stopped the war his stupid brother started?

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 11:17 PM

I do feel compelled to comment against the double standard implied here since Al Franken’s close to being final win in MN doesn’t spawn comments about the fact that my dog’s shaved rear end is more attractive than the incoming junior Senator.

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 5:42 PM

I always comment on how fugly Franken is, but thank you for noticing also. lol

baldilocks on December 28, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Pelayo on December 28, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Kennedy apologist! ;0

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 11:19 PM

I always comment on how fugly Franken is, but thank you for noticing also. lol

baldilocks on December 28, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Hey if politics were a beauty contest, most politicians would be shown the door. Gay or not, I can’t imagine a single human being looking at the lisping Barney Frank and saying that they want “some of that.” More likely they want to take steps to ensure that their kids don’t grow up to physically resemble the bastard Congresman from MA who killed this nation’s economy by his corrupt tenure in Congress.

As to Franken, hard to take a state seriously who elected Jesse Ventura as their governor. I’d suggest Coleman was tbe analomy and freaks like Franken or Wellstone are what revs up the idiots who vote in that particular state.

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Last I heard Franken was not ahead. Couple days ago I think. I’ve missed it I guess. Wha happened?

jeanie on December 28, 2008 at 11:30 PM

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 11:26 PM

There are perversions to cover almost every physical oddity, including crushing ugliness. Barney Frank is so comically ugly, and a parody of a person, that he probably has a set of groupies.

progressoverpeace on December 28, 2008 at 11:30 PM

There seems to be a sense of entitlement on her part. If she is appointed, then I don’t want to hear another word about Palin’s qualifications. I would like to see the two of them in a debate.

gstrickler on December 28, 2008 at 11:44 PM

MA(my neighboring State)for whatever reason, keeps sending Frank and Kerry back again and again. And….personally, I think that however bad Frank is, Kerry is worse. At least Frank seems to have some intelligence, Kerry is a prize winning idiot. Paranoia I suppose, but I often wonder if there is something suspicious about Kerry’s winning again and again.

jeanie on December 28, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Famed New England talk show host, and recent inductee into the Radio Hall of Fame, Howie Carr often has a game on his radio show called “Wizard of Uh’s… ironically only played with members of the Kennedy clan.
He plays clips of Kennedys, tells listeners how long they will be, then has people call in to guess how many times they said, “Uh or Umm” or something to that effect, in the clip!

ToddonCapeCod on December 29, 2008 at 1:09 AM

jeanie on December 28, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Ha ha John Forbes Kerry the original commie useful idiot who became Senator from Massachusetts. Thanks for the memories.

kanda on December 29, 2008 at 5:29 AM

“I’m not as shy as everybody makes me out to be.”

So it really is snobbery.

“It’s really, you know, it’s not about just the Kennedy name. It’s about my own work and what I’ve done with those values.” “I just hope everybody understands that…I have a lifelong devotion to public service.” “I’ve raised my family.”

It takes a neo-liberal to claim that raising a family is a lifelong devotion to public service.

“This is a time when nobody can afford to sit it out…” “I’m starving.”

Sheesh, Caroline Kennedy Onassis, crawl back into your camelot myth to live happily ever after. Grow up at your own expense! You want to lead the Socialist movement in America; no wonder you’re hiding your fortune, unwilling to spread even a little wealth. You can’t afford the luxury of starving. You don’t have what it takes. When the chips fall, you’ll run for cover using all of us as your shield.

Where is Caroline’s Profile In Courage?

Caroline’s single PUBLIC service was eliminating Hillary Clinton’s name from the 2008 DNC POTUS ticket. Um, you know, would the Clinton supporters rebuff Caroline K. Onassis for that? Have the Clintons already performed their cloak and dagger routine, or do they want to bother, or do they need to in order to facilitate Chelsea’s future? As Caroline alluded in her bluff, this is ALL about dynasty. Teddy’s going to pass on; why doesn’t Caroline prep for his seat from Boston? Not a big enough apple to satiate the starving Caroline?

maverick muse on December 29, 2008 at 6:50 AM

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 11:17 PM

RFK was the one who convinced JFK to remove US air support from the Bay of Pigs invasion at the last minute.
What do you think?

abcurtis on December 29, 2008 at 7:10 AM

JFK was a wonderful public speaker & a horrible President even for a Democrat who left America both Castro’s Cuba & the US Vietnam War which makes his daughter’s lust for power the American equivalent of Hitler’s daughter wanting to be Chancellor of Germany.

Max47 on December 29, 2008 at 7:28 AM

Max47

…lest we forget that Kennedy gifted Turkey to the USSR, relinquishing our missile bases in Turkey, forfeiting our position of strength in the Middle East and forfeiting our mutual alliance with the non-Islamic pro-secular Turkey government.

The Kennedy brothers were doomed against the Russians. They chickened out during their own Cuban intervention and tried to save face by diverting all national attention to taking over where France retreated from IndoChina.

Losers.

maverick muse on December 29, 2008 at 8:09 AM

Definitely.

We need Senators with the Gift of Gab, like Joe Biden and Mel Martinez (to name just two).

SlimyBill on December 29, 2008 at 8:45 AM

I wonder if Caroline’s calculation is “if Obama can be President, surely I can be Senator”.

Paul-Cincy on December 29, 2008 at 8:55 AM

This woman is an absolute airhead . . . but, she fits in quite nicely with the rest of those left wing, liberal Democrats.

rplat on December 29, 2008 at 9:03 AM

onlineanalyst on December 28, 2008 at 6:31 PM

You nailed CK’s background! She epitomizes the limousine liberal.

You mention how much of Governor Palin’s interview with Gibson ended up on the cutting room floor. Just yesterday I was watching some YouTube clips of the Biography episode that was done on Palin. (It was a dreadful — full of one outright lie and misleading statement after another. I know I shouldn’t be shocked, but I really am disgusted to see “journalists” fabricate the truth in such a brazen fashion.) They included little snatches of never-before-seen footage from the Gibson interview. From what I could tell this missing footage was charming stuff that would have made improved Palin’s image and likability. Of course, the folks at ABC made certain that wasn’t included. I wouldn’t mind so much if Gibson had done the same with the other side.

ramrocks on December 29, 2008 at 12:36 PM

What I find disappointing in this whole mess is how the GOP has done nothing to support this woman’s appointment. They should be all over it. Patterson should be encouraged to appoint the Princess.

If he doesn’t appoint her it will be someone like Cuomo who will wind up getting reelected like clockwork every six years with no real opposition. Cuomo is on the wrong side but he does have an agenda and knows how to push his agenda through. That is the kind of guy we don’t want in.

Princess Caroline is an idiot. A complete inexperienced idiot who was fortunate enough to be a Kennedy. Her media tour shows just how much of a twit she really is. I would much rather have her in the Senate and take our chances on beating her in 2010 then have a guy like Cuomo (who knows how to get elected) rubber-stamped by the voters of New York. New Yorkers have shown that they will go for competent Republicans. Two years of her embarassing the State will hopefully be enough.

grdred944 on December 29, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Obama:

“You know, this is not the … you know, Caroline Kennedy, you know… I used to …know, you know”.

Dang this verbal tic is catchy… you know, I have it now, you know.. I need a smoke, you know, who has one?

Sergei on December 29, 2008 at 1:24 PM

maverick muse on December 29, 2008 at 8:09 AM

Ha ha I love how you rewrite History. Both the Bay of Pigs and the Vietnam involvement were passed on by the Eisenhower Administration. For the Bay of Pigs Kennedy should have stopped it dead in its track. He waited too long before doing the right thing. I think he would have pulled out of Vietnam if he had lived. We expected war is Laos instead but LBJ decided otherwise.

As for the Russians he had their number from day one and would have destroyed Cuba and the USSR before he let those nukes into Cuba. Truly a great president for the time he saved the world from nuclear war by blockading Cuba and turning the Ruskie ships back. He spoke softly and carried a big stick. Old Niki K. in Moscow was shaking in his boots by the time he realized it was not a joke. The USA was armed to the teeth and ready to kick some serious butt over Cuba. Remember “do you feel lucky punk…do ya”. was Clint Eastwood but JFK in essence told old Niki the same thing.

You know the missles in Turkey were not needed anymore because we had some really neat new ICBMs. It was a ruse to allow the Soviets to save face. We were going to pull those missles out of Turkey anyway. You see our ICBMs using over the pole shots into the USSR from the American midwest could hit almost without warning. The russians realised by the time they could launce theirs ours would have decimated their launch sites and military.

kanda on December 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM