Quotes of the day

posted at 9:09 pm on December 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

“And I am quite certain that when the final chapters are written and it’s clear that Saddam Hussein’s Iraq is gone in favor of an Iraq that is favorable to the future of the Middle East; when the history is written of a U.S.-China relationship that is better than it’s ever been; an India relationship that is deeper and better than it’s ever been; a relationship with Brazil and other countries of the left of Latin America, better than it’s ever been …

“When one looks at what we’ve been able to do in terms of changing the conversation in the Middle East about democracy and values, this administration will be judged well, and I’ll wait for history’s judgment and not today’s headlines.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Raise your hand if you would like Michelle Obama’s life.

Illinidiva on December 28, 2008 at 10:44 PM

There’s no price that could buy me for that. I feel spanked by our beloved baldi :)

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 10:55 PM

First Lady Bush is all class, and has tackled real issues as First Lady. She will leave some large high heels to fill.

Hog Wild on December 28, 2008 at 10:56 PM

I’m 4′11. I would love also love be tall, although, I’m not sure if I would like to be Michelle Obama tall. I’m not sure what her height is.

terryannonline on December 28, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Her height is 1.25 times her rear end circumference.

Cheshire Cat on December 28, 2008 at 10:56 PM

I would love this lady’s life. Let’s review the facts.. She has two beautiful daughters and a husband who’s a good provider; she has two Ivy League degrees that she likely got due to affirmative action and grade inflation; she has a 350K job which doesn’t seem that taxing and probably allows her flexible hours to require any work, and she has her mom providing live-in daycare. Raise your hand if you would like Michelle Obama’s life.

Illinidiva on December 28, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Layers of editors and fact-checkers, Darlin’. Doncha know.

Jaibones on December 28, 2008 at 10:57 PM

…and I don’t believe you do either!

Cheshire Cat on December 28, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Cats don’t know much, sophisticated as they are. baldi knows, and you can bet that I do too.

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Compared to Laura’s teacher and librarian salaries, which were earned, Michelle didn’t do much for the hospitals to earn that exorbitant salary, aside from how she got such a pricey job. Yes, I work in hospitals and know about that case, more than I care to know.

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 11:00 PM

I don’t know about wanting Madam O’s life but I wouldn’t mind some of the chill pills that the DNC has had her on since the Democratic National Convention. Those things must be Horse tranquilisers or something.

Dreadnought223 on December 28, 2008 at 11:00 PM

ME!ME!
FeralCat on Dec 28,2008 at 10:51PM.

FeralCat: Dude or Dudette Kat,you need to be tomcatting,
so to speak,and prowl around a good restaurant,
maybe like Ruth’s Steak House!!:)

PS,try’n to help you out!!!!!:):):)Ha ha.

canopfor on December 28, 2008 at 11:01 PM

I love Laura. There’s no B.S. coming from her. She knows more about the reality of Bush’s presidency than the idiots in the media, yet they distorted the truth.

jediwebdude on December 28, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Sorry Jai. You lose, like everyone else did.

JiangxiDad on December 28, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Dang, Dad. I was really close on that one. Really close.

Jaibones on December 28, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Well, I never heard it before, but it sounds uncommon nonsense.

Cheshire Cat on December 28, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Her height is 1.25 times her rear end circumference.

Cheshire Cat on December 28, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Ow. Hey, that hurt.

Jaibones on December 28, 2008 at 11:02 PM

I’ve always admired Mrs.Bush.

Kini on Dec 10:54PM.

Kini: +1,:):):) Aloha:)Kini!

canopfor on December 28, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Ow. Hey, that hurt.

Jaibones on December 28, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Not nearly as much as if she sits on you.

Cheshire Cat on December 28, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Not for all the money (left) in the world! Michelle Obama’s life comes with enough bitterness to fill an ocean; She’s a mean spirited, arrogant, “victim” who will never appreciate all she’s been given by America.

anniekc on December 28, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Point is that I’m sure that if you had Ivy League degrees, made 200K per year, and lived in a mansion in Hyde Park, you wouldn’t be that bitter. I’m sure that you’d be extremely grateful for all your blessings.

Illinidiva on December 28, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 11:00 PM

It will be interesting to see how Mrs. Obama will fill the role of First Lady like that of Mrs Bush. With all that Mrs. Bush did for women and children in Africa, cancer and barely reported by the MSM.

And yes, I did see your message Entelechy. Did you get mine?

Kini on December 28, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Illinidiva on December 28, 2008 at 11:07 PM

I know I would.

terryannonline on December 28, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Layers of editors and fact-checkers, Darlin’. Doncha know.

Jaibones on December 28, 2008 at 10:57 PM

LOL!!

Illinidiva on December 28, 2008 at 11:10 PM

Cats don’t know much,

Entelechy on Dec 28,2008 at 10:57PM.

Entelechy:Ain’t that the truth,however we’ve got
3 kittens,2 males and a female!

And they’re on a tear,from midnight till
about 6:00AM,absolute CHAOS!!Hehe:)

canopfor on December 28, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Laura Bush- Classy woman who performed her responsibilities as First Lady with grace and elegance.

Michelle Obama- Raised upper class and Ivy League educated but so rough around the edges and coarse that you expect her pimp to show up at the inaguration. Wondering when she’ll be proud to be an American. Wondering when somebody from her crowd of Chicago thugs will muster the nerve to set the b*tch down and teach her how to be a lady.

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 11:00 PM

She’s nothing but a pack of cards!

Cheshire Cat on December 28, 2008 at 11:11 PM

prowl around a good restaurant,
maybe like Ruth’s Steak House!!

canopfor on December 28, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Aloha canopfor,

I like they way you think and your choice in restaurants!

Kini on December 28, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Illinidiva on December 28, 2008 at 11:07 PM

No, I’d be angry I only made 200K per year.

Kini on December 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM

And yes, I did see your message Entelechy. Did you get mine?

Kini on December 28, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Yes, I did. Thank you. I will convey details :)

canopfor, aren’t they the cutest, though? I love cats and dogs, and animals in general, very much. Best to you up there in Canada. You’re a good friend of the U.S.

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Since it seems as if everyone commenting here tonight is in a bad mood — except for one or two, who I always suspect of having had a few pops (or more) before logging in — I might as well join in, since I, too, am feeling grouchy.

We can take Laura Bush’s rating as a “class act” as a given. She is, and I doubt her successor will manage to come close. She defends her husband, as she should since she loves him, just as Ms Rice defends him because her name will be linked with his when the history books are written.

But that doesn’t mean what they say is pure gospel truth. I for one am tired of hearing that Bush “kept us safe from further attacks” line as if he was sitting, 24/7/365, in the operator’s seat of some cosmic antiaircraft battery. Our military, sometimes under his direction and sometimes operating under the handicap of indecisive and wimpy orders from the top, did that.

Likewise, I suspect the adventure in Iraq (not Afghanistan) was based more on gettin’ the guy who tried to take a pot-shot at Daddy than bringing democracy to the Middle East. Besides, nowhere does the Constitution show “spreading democracy throughout the world” as a Presidential duty.

That’s especially true when you consider the cost, in terms of lives and money, of our little adventures, which after all have left plenty of terrorists, as well as their suppliers and supporters, standing. Some of the latter are GWB’s “friends.”

History can’t blame Bush entirely for the economic meltdown, though his Democrat-style spending and apparent unwillingness to go head-to-head with Congress won’t give him bonus points. Nor will “Brownie, you’re doin’ a heckuva job!” or Harriet Meiers, or Alberto Gonzales.

He did provide leadership to the open-borders/amnesty crowd, though. He deserves big demerits for that.

To me, the defining moment of his Presidency was his disgusting treatment of Ramos and Compean. It said things about the man that one does not want to see in a President.

So hats off to Laura Bush for putting the best light on her husband’s years in office. But I still rate him a poor President, and saying he was “better than Clinton, Gore and Kerry” or that he will be looked at more favorably after Osama Obama has been in office for a while is praising him with faint damns.

He could have been better. He should have been better. He wasn’t.

MrScribbler on December 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM

MrScribbler on December 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Bush’s actions and orders that were carried out have resulted in our being safe. The next president may rescind orders, give new ones and direct people as to what they may and may not do, what they can and can not search for, who they may or may not be prohibited from stopping. Yes, he has kept us safe and it is all up to him.

May God keep the next president from issuing orders that will reduce our safety.

Sorry to disagree with you on this one, but you are dead wrong here.

wise_man on December 28, 2008 at 11:20 PM

I like the way you think and your choice in restaurants!

Kini on Dec 28,2008 at 11:13PM.

Kini: Indocturnated by those evil commericals on the Rush
and Hannity radio spots!!

There deeply burned into my memory banks,like the
slight burns on kitty paws,like a cat on a hot tin
roof!!Haha:)

canopfor on December 28, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Right on, Laura. :)

DL13 on December 28, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Best to you up there in Canada….

Entelechy on Dec 28,2008 at 11:16PM.

Entelechy: And the best,to you as well Miss E!

Always on guard,north of the border!

In case we don’t communicate,from now,
till then,

Have a Very,HAPPY NEW YEAR!!:):):):):):):)

canopfor on December 28, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Illinidiva on December 28, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Hey if you had all that and moved into such an exclusive neighborhood only to discover that your next door neighbor was a smelly hippie with a penchant for playing with explosives and violating the fragile minds of young children with discredited radical ideologies then you would be bitter to.

Dreadnought223 on December 28, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Laura Bush has been a class act as our first lady and we should all honor that.

Some believe History will judge George Bush in a better light than today. That may be true but everyone the Historians are Liberals and judge all Republicans as bad compared to Democrats. We will see what the next 10 to 20 years bring and if the press ever becomes objective again. I sadly do not see this happening. The Hope, through, as more and more people use the internet they will look for alternatives. I know I did.

Gracelynn on December 28, 2008 at 11:30 PM

THIS IS A SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE U.S.S HOT AIR!

All H/A crew members:A standing order has been issued!

All crew members,are to stop being in a bad mood,and if
you are in a bad mood,then it has been ordered to be in
a good mood!

And like it!!

That is all!!:)

canopfor on December 28, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Gracelynn on December 28, 2008 at 11:30 PM

A few months ago I was watching on BookTV or CSPAN and they discussion among historians about American presidencies and they agreed that peace time presidents should be rated better. So if that is the way historians are going then maybe none of our war time presidents will be considered “good.”

FDR= Bad
Lincoln=Bad
Truman=Bad

terryannonline on December 28, 2008 at 11:36 PM

MrScribbler on December 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM

You are mixing things up. Are you honestly suggesting that the defense by Laura Bush of her husband is the same as the Secretary of State defending public policy? It’s more than a concern of legacy- it’s a difference in roles. If confirmed (and I’m hoping against reality that the GOP will take a stand here) it should be real fun watching Hillary Clinton being forced to defend Obama’s policies.

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Wise_man on December 28, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Should have thought about that before you demanded we STFU and support your guy- McCain- in the name of electability. I probably hate you more than Obama supporters tonight because we knew that his election would result in the incineration of thousands of additional Americans. Your moronic support of an unelectable candidate ensured Obama’s victory so any terrorist attack is equally your fault. You are a traitor to all that made this nation great.

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 11:44 PM

you ignorant MFer, if you and the other one issue voters didn’t do all you could to derail the republican nominee, then maybe Obama wouldn’t be the next president, moron.

wise_man on December 28, 2008 at 11:52 PM

moronic support of an unelectable candidate

I voted for Mitt Romney when the republican primary came to my state, you degenerate mouth breather.

wise_man on December 28, 2008 at 11:54 PM

You are a traitor to all that made this nation great.

so you are attempting to transfer your guilt of your own actions to me. Drop dead.

wise_man on December 28, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Those here who have confused Issues of Immigration with Issues of Terrorism, and they ARE separate issues

The Fort Dix plotters also confused issues of immigration and terrorism. No one told them that issues of immigration and terrorism ARE separate which might explain why they slipped through the Southern border with the intention of murdering several American servicemen by terrorist means.

Also, they had extensive links to the Kosovo Liberation Army. Didn’t anyone think to tell the Fort Dix plotters that Kosovars are pro-American? The plotters must have been confused somehow. Funny how that happens.

aengus on December 29, 2008 at 12:00 AM

wise_man on December 28, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Hey traitor,

You don’t know a thing about me. I’ve never been a single issue voter and ultimately voted for McCain after bastards like you left me no choice but to vote for the cranky old liberal or the inexperienced socialist. Mitt was my guy from the beginning and I am pissed off that people like you didn’t make this into a values fight instead of superficial strategies.

Again, any terrorist attacks on American soil are directly a result of your unflagging support of McCain. You OWN that. Sorry if that offends but it is true becuase you were unwilling to fight the fight for a real Republican.

highhopes on December 29, 2008 at 12:09 AM

wise_man on December 28, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Why the f**k does it take you three posts to respond to one? No wonder you are such a pathetic loser and McCain apologist.

highhopes on December 29, 2008 at 12:12 AM

aengus on December 29, 2008 at 12:00 AM

All I know is that it’s damned hard to find a place to eat outside of Fort Dix/McGuire AFB. At least these terrorists were filling a need within the local community!

highhopes on December 29, 2008 at 12:14 AM

“highhopes on December 29, 2008 at 12:09 AM”

why don’t you take yer mds, and all your hatred of your fellow americans, and jam it far down your throat — it sounds like that might be the only thing that would put you into something other than your current miserable state …

Buckaroo on December 29, 2008 at 12:16 AM

I’m gonna miss Laura. Her hubby too.

hockey2k5 on December 29, 2008 at 12:27 AM

baldi, I explained already that my last line was addressed to eh, not to terry :(

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Got it. Love ya, Miss E. :)

baldilocks on December 29, 2008 at 12:39 AM

MrScribbler on December 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM

I’m not as think you drunk I am.

baldilocks on December 29, 2008 at 12:43 AM

“baldilocks on December 29, 2008 at 12:43 AM”

[rimshot]

Buckaroo on December 29, 2008 at 12:46 AM

Michelle Obama will pale in comparison to Laura Bush. Mrs. Bush is the best first lady we’ve had in decades.

SouthernGent on December 29, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Gracelynn on December 28, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Hey just look at Nixon. Despite doing a lot of great things while he was President, like thawing relations with Russia and China as well as ending the Vietnam War and abolishing the draft. He will be forever remembered for the Watergate scandal and be reviled by the left as the archetype Republican villain.

Dreadnought223 on December 29, 2008 at 12:49 AM

Michelle Obama’s been out of the media spotlight for a while. I thought whatever grudge would have passed by now. Apparently, I was wrong.

terryannonline on December 28, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Mrs. Obama is the one with the grudge. You must be playing a game of devil’s advocate. You can’t possibly believe what you’re typing.

SouthernGent on December 29, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Officially, the pact is titled “Agreement between the United States and the Republic of Iraq on the Withdrawal of United States Forces from Iraq and the Organization of Their Activities During Their Temporary Presence in Iraq,” but I guess AUSRIWUSFIOTATTPI is a hard sell.

Actually, the whole thing is a hard sell, or surely would be if Americans really knew that in the interest of a treaty, the Bush administration has gone so far as to trade away, among other things, some of our troops’ constitutional rights.

Has such a “duty” ever been written into a U.S. treaty with another country? Is it even constitutional? I doubt it. After all, the “duty” of United States Forces anywhere is to the U.S. Constitution alone, not to the laws of another country. Given that Iraq’s constitution above all enshrines Sharia (Islamic law), this would also seem to mean that it is now “the duty” of U.S. troops and other Americans in Iraq to “respect” Sharia as well.

Or, even more significantly, in Article 27, Paragraph 3, that “Iraqi land, sea and air shall not be used as a launching or transit point for attacks against other countries.” After all, U.S. bases in Iraq for just such potential actions against Iran or Syria were once ballyhooed as a strategic rationale for our prolonged presence in Iraq. But what about this new “duty” of American troops to “respect” the laws of Iraq, and even, in some circumstances, to be subject to them?

It all starts New Year’s Day.

MB4 on December 28, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Iraq takes over air traffic control on 1 January too. So our troops will be basically under foreign command, and flying under ridiculously incompetent ATC.

not cool

funky chicken on December 29, 2008 at 1:01 AM

“Dreadnought223 on December 29, 2008 at 12:49 AM”

my beefs with nixon, off the top of my head:
watergate and all its associated stupidity
having agnew as his no. 2
clean air act/clean water act/epa

sooooo, ya can only blame the historians so much on that one …

Buckaroo on December 29, 2008 at 1:02 AM

I’m not as think you drunk I am.

baldilocks on December 29, 2008 at 12:43 AM

{hic}

Kini on December 29, 2008 at 1:05 AM

I’ve always admired Laura Bush’s ability to show such grace under pressure. Can you imagine Michelle showing similar ease under pressure? She’s not comfortable in any situation unless it is structured in such a way that only praise is heaped on her or her husband & no tough questions are asked of her. (like on Oprah or the View) I knew enough about Michelle when she “slipped” and made her remark about not being proud of her country until her husband got nominated. Ugh…

Conservalicious on December 29, 2008 at 1:16 AM

I still think all we should allow Mrs. Obama the luxury of making her own legacy as the First Lady.

She has a higher standard to follow and she will be judged, more or less, harshly than she judged America.

As for Laura Bush, she has set the benchmark as one of the greatest First Ladies ever.

I can only say…. top that Mrs. O

Kini on December 29, 2008 at 1:41 AM

my beefs with nixon, off the top of my head:
watergate and all its associated stupidity
having agnew as his no. 2
clean air act/clean water act/epa

sooooo, ya can only blame the historians so much on that one …

Buckaroo on December 29, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Hey I’m not saying that the guy should be sainted or anything. I’m just saying that most of the good stuff he did while he was President will forever be overshadowed by a relative handful of really dumb decisions he made and the lefts insistence that he was some sort of Arch Republican villain.

I think the only other Republican that has been reviled by the left to the same extent as Nixon would be Dick Cheney. And the difference between Cheney and Nixon is that Cheney wasn’t dumb enough to get caught doing anything wrong and the fact that unlike Nixon he really couldnt give a crap what people think of him (especially those on the left)and is unapoligetic about it.

Dreadnought223 on December 29, 2008 at 1:48 AM

Have a Very,HAPPY NEW YEAR!!:):):):):):):)

canopfor on December 28, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Eh, not so happy, considering our self-inflicted tragedy. However, thank you for your wishes good canopfor.

baldi, as RushBaby would do {{{{{baldilocks}}}}}

I miss RushBaby very much :(((((

Entelechy on December 29, 2008 at 1:48 AM

What happened to Limerick? I miss you too, Lim.

Entelechy on December 29, 2008 at 1:49 AM

Kini on December 29, 2008 at 1:05 AM

Haha! That was indeed the sainted Mr. Brooks’ line.

I heard that he didn’t drink at all. Hey, is Dean Martin smoking a…:::intake of breath::: cigarette? OMG! /

baldilocks on December 29, 2008 at 2:19 AM

baldilocks on December 29, 2008 at 2:19 AM

You know….. and being an ex-smoker myslf, I just wanna run up to any smoker and give them a big open mouth kiss and suck all the smoke outta them.

…. ahhhh, better….

Kini on December 29, 2008 at 2:26 AM

That quote totally ignored the economic devastation of her own country. I guess she’s hoping that we can be more like those third world countries she is so keen on being friends with.

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:31 AM

Mrs. First Lady Laura Bush……….

……….. “Thank You” for standing by your husband, and in doing so, standing by all of us.

May God Bless and Keep You……….. and your family.

……………………… again, Thank You!

Seven Percent Solution on December 29, 2008 at 2:32 AM

My favorite from Foster Brooks:

Brooks – I … I … saw a …a car .. axe… axe… accident… and asked the driver… r..r …are you ok?

Driver – I am OK, I am traveling with Jesus.

Brooks – Well, you better let him drive, cause you’re drunk!!!

Paraphrasing of course…. {hic}

Kini on December 29, 2008 at 2:34 AM

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:31 AM

You really want to go there………? Really?

Here is one word for you…………

D-E-M-O-C-R-A-T-S

You can not change history no matter how you try, or you just don’t know what you are talking about….. which one is it?

Seven Percent Solution on December 29, 2008 at 2:36 AM

That quote totally ignored the economic devastation of her own country

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:31 AM

Is there another country you’d rather live in?
Please do tell…. inquiring minds wanna know?

Lifting middle finger

Kini on December 29, 2008 at 2:46 AM

Sorry, but I don’t think she’s much compared with Michelle Obama.

Michelle is a very angry (c.f. her speeches) left wing (again c.f. her speeches) black supremacist (c.f. 20 years with Jeremiah Wright) bureaucrat (c.f. her resume).

She’s going to bring the pain!

God Damn Amerikkka and then some.

Ares on December 29, 2008 at 3:19 AM

Grace, class and dignity. Thanks Texas for Laura and Lady Bird, two of the best.

Done That on December 29, 2008 at 5:20 AM

Laura Bush has been an excellent First Lady and would have probably been a better President than her husband. She seemed to have more much more sense. She managed to overlook what a disaster her husband’s leadership has been to our economy and stature in the world but someone has to love him.

lexhamfox on December 29, 2008 at 5:49 AM

So that’s what you call selling out to China while not making sure there’s a reciprocation?

angelat0763 on December 29, 2008 at 2:31 AM

Nothing like bowing to third world countries to make one too busy for saving our own.

Is there another country you’d rather live in?

If that was aimed at me as a question, here would be my answer:
“A country that does not bow to third-world nations as practiced by Bush et al; its composition being of the sovereign land known as the United States of America”

In other words, I’m not going to move.

sethstorm on December 29, 2008 at 6:15 AM

When Obama won the DNC campaign ticket, Michelle announced that she would NOT live in the White House, but would stay “working” in Chicago with her girls.

maverick muse on December 29, 2008 at 6:22 AM

God DAMN Amerikka, God DAMN Amerikka!

Reverend Wright’s curse worked. We got Barry and Michelle.

IlikedAUH2O on December 29, 2008 at 7:23 AM

Politics in a DEMOCRACY are about WORDS & actions. Greatest President ever Republican Lincoln left magnificent speeches & heroic action while Republican Bush foolishly thought that he could rely on actions alone. Bush only recognized foreign enemy in Muslim Terrorists but TOTALLY FAILED to recognize internal enemy of Democrat New Deal Marxists willing to perform TREASON to create a one party Soviet Amerika.

Max47 on December 29, 2008 at 7:24 AM

Max47 on December 29, 2008 at 7:24 AM

Big difference between ‘failing to recognize’ and pretty much creating those things single handedly. Kind of ridiculous to blame the opposition when seven trillion is wiped out after eight years of opposition.

lexhamfox on December 29, 2008 at 7:59 AM

Laura Bush is a classy and intelligent woman. Michelle Obama may have an Ivy League education, but she has no class. Her comment about America showed that. Also, there is a hint of scandal in how she got her job and the large pay raise…was it given to her by her hubby?

Another thing…I saw a video of Obama walking in his workout pants, white tee-shirt AND a ball hat that was worn backwards!! He looked like some homeboy. What was up with that?

becki51758 on December 29, 2008 at 8:13 AM

MB4 on December 28, 2008 at 9:36 PM

So, I suppose that our troops stationed in Germany and Japan are free to go on criminal rampages at will in those countries when they’re off duty, right?

Oh, and remember when Turkey said they would not allow us to use their country as a base for invading Iraq, but we did it anyway?

If those are the only complaints you have about the SOFA, you have none.

Kafir on December 29, 2008 at 8:38 AM

I see that ODS is deeply entrenched already.
I had such high hopes for the ‘right’

bridgetown on December 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM

eh on December 28, 2008 at 10:46 PM

You still don’t get it. I’m asking you to make a moral judgment. To say who’s right, not to say how similar we are because we’re both passionate.

You insist on your holier-than-thou, above it all, pox on both your houses approach. Sorry, you’re at least a decade too late. If you can’t choose sides, in an argument that’s clearly drawn, and one you seem to wish to take part in, then you’re a mushy lib, not a venal one, but still dangerous.

As for the “southern border” comment, it still refers to terrorists crossing it, not Mexicans in search of work. You see what you want to see because you have your victim antenna up.

JiangxiDad on December 29, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Dreadnought223 on December 28, 2008 at 11:27 PM

I’d think that the Co-op board would just deny most smelly hippies the right to buy property there, but I guess that in Hyde Park, the smelly hippies are part of the atmosphere.

Illinidiva on December 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Assuming we aren’t destroyed by terrorists that just waltzed in over a wide open southern border, then history might judge him well.

Wino on December 28, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Yes, this is one of the major failings of the current Congressional body AND the administration. The borders should have been locked down on 9/11/01 to all foreigners for at least 6 months and to all muslims forever. Their “religion” is incompatible with western culture and values.

As much as I agree with Bush on the war on islamic faciscm, I disagree with him on illegal immigration, Medicare giveaways, bailouts for companies that run themselves into the ground and various liberal attitudes he has. Bush is no conservative. That’s what we need…a TRUE conservative.

Jarhead68 on December 29, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Im sorry, but with the exception of Columbia, thats just not true.

ernesto on December 29, 2008 at 10:27 AM

You’re more likely to find something akin to what you would find at DU or Kos these days than what you would have found after only the first or second waves of open registration here.

DaveS on December 28, 2008 at 10:01 PM

I disagree. I can count the number of unhinged conservative posters on two hands. For a site with HA’s readership that’s pretty good. And the fact that our liberal commenters get to snark and spar whenever they like is something you’d never find over at dkos or DU.

BadgerHawk on December 29, 2008 at 11:04 AM

becki51758 on December 29, 2008 at 8:13 AM

He’s “uber cool”, don’t you know. As for Laura Bush, she’s smart enough to know what’s important and what isn’t. Having allies is important, and especially in the Middle and Far East. A lot of journalists don’t get that, they’d rather focus on shoe throwers.

scalleywag on December 29, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Im sorry, but with the exception of Columbia, thats just not true.

ernesto on December 29, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Of course, you’ve got a much better vantage point than she.

hillbillyjim on December 29, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Dreadnought223 on December 28, 2008 at 11:00 PM

If you ever want to get her out of her coma just walk near her and say, “Where’s my money? Where’s my money? You better give me my money!”

grdred944 on December 29, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Her height is 1.25 times her rear end circumference.

Cheshire Cat on December 28, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Who’s the poor SOB who had to measure that?

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on December 29, 2008 at 2:15 PM

I’ve never been a big GW Bush fan, he’s definitely NOT a fiscal conservative and has made a lot of blunders along the way. But he was definitely better than the alternatives – Al Gore?!?!

I’ve always loved Laura Bush, she’s a wonderful woman and a credit to George, just like her mother-in-law was a credit to HW Bush.

Common Sense on December 29, 2008 at 2:59 PM

We should at least treat the Obama’s a little better than the left treated the Bush’s. We do have a higher standard as conservatives.
….
Kini on December 28, 2008 at 10:54 PM

I don’t think there’s any real worry about that. Much as we might like to retaliate in kind, I doubt conservatives will be undermining national security and leaking secret information just to accuse Obama of being another Hitler. I also seriously doubt we’ll pull the kind of treacheries done by Joseph Wilson and Sandy Berger, or try to dig up false scandals to taint his record. We’ll just stick to the real ones, like Rezko, Blago, Acorn, Ayers, etc.

tom on December 29, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Too bad your husband’s LIBERAL tendencies screwed up this country for a generation. He got elected to be Conservative, not compassionate. If we wanted compassion, we would have elected dr phil. Also, Iraq was a bullshit move to off the guy who tried to knock off daddy bush. Thanks for giving us the empty suit Obama, mrs bush, that’s your legacy.

texaninfidel on December 29, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Iraq was a bullshit move to off the guy who tried to knock off daddy bush.

you are just like the rest of the idiot moonbats. sod off.

wise_man on December 29, 2008 at 11:23 PM

L.Bush stunk as a first wife. She chided Bush on getting binladen “Dead or Alive”….she undermined him constantly. She covered her head in awe and respect to a religion that killed thousands of her countrymen. She told a tasteless joke at press affair, that made me cringe and wish she would sit down.

She did not do one thing to straighten out our Islam and Cair driven libraries and textbooks…..I’ll take Lynn Cheney any day. Her patriotic books rocked.

nondhimmie on December 30, 2008 at 9:56 AM