The most ironic Christmas gift evah

posted at 6:09 pm on December 27, 2008 by Allahpundit

Newly arrived from Malkin manor, a copy of “God Is Not Great” — inscribed.

Good lord. It’s like getting a Bible autographed by the Pope.

I won’t bother asking you who has the best boss in the world; we already know. Instead, let’s ponder that oh so cryptic beginning…

For “Allahpundit,” in the devout hope that he is working himself out of a job.

With “the compliments of the season” — which is as far as Mr. Jefferson would go at this distraught season.

Two possibilities:

2. He’s read the site and thinks it reeks, or at least my contribution to it.

My head says 1 — how likely is it that he’s ever read HA, after all? — but my beta-male heart says 2. Reassure me.

Update: From the comments, a third option focusing on the “pundit” part: “May you so successfully state your case that all are convinced and your labors are no longer needed.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Third option via the update.

No question.

And yes, I’m sure he’s read Hot Air.

Purple Fury on December 27, 2008 at 9:38 PM

I haven’t studied a whole lot of Jefferson…

Neither hane I…but I do know that he signed legislation putting missionaries to Pennyslvania Indians on federal payroll.
And he worshipped in a church that met in the Capitol building.

jgapinoy on December 27, 2008 at 9:39 PM

hane have

jgapinoy on December 27, 2008 at 9:39 PM

jgapinoy on December 27, 2008 at 9:35 PMjgapinoy on December 27, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Good one, Isaac!

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 9:43 PM

I can’t believe I didn’t think of this…but then, neither did any of you.
Here is Hitch’s evil scheme:
Send “gift” to Michelle, saying it’s for AP.
Michelle forwards “gift” to AP.
AP recieves it, unaware of the satellite feed embedded in the tome. Now Hitch knows AP’s location, & soon his identity.

jgapinoy on December 27, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Imagine the fortune Hitch will make blackmailing AP.
Heeheehee.

eea on December 27, 2008 at 9:43 PM

If he knew you were making this big of a fuss over something he scribbled in a book cover to a fellow pundit, he would blow out a kidney laughing at you. Just saying.

Tanya on December 27, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Yeah, it really is side-splittingly hilarious when historical evidence contradicts the Topher. It’s even funnier that AP has an entire thread on Topher’s “scribbling”, so perhaps he is blowing a kidney by laughing at Allahpundit for making such a “fuss”.

As for what Hitch means by his cryptic inscription, perhaps he hopes that He is working Himself out of a job and will soon be fired by mankind, and Hitch assumes that Allah agrees with the sentiment?

Buy Danish on December 27, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Comparisons (liking some things more than other things) are by their very nature judgment. I’m not trying rude but you seem to be talking about concepts without thinking them through to their logical conclusions.

As I said, if you WISH to discuss judgment, then we can.

But I WASN’T discussing that, just making a simple observation about the futility in making a big deal about hypocrisy.

I used my words very carefully when responding. I said that ‘A’ defining characteristic of hypocrisy is fence-sitting, not that such ‘The’ defining characteristic of same. There are others.

baldilocks on December 27, 2008 at 9:36 PM

You can be as careful as you like, but fence sitting is NOT a defining characteristic of hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy is stating that you are something then living a completely different life.

Fence sitting is kinda, sorta saying something, but neither really living FOR it or AGAINST it.

Thus, the DEFINING characteristic of hypocrisy is living one’s life in direct contradiction of what one publicly espouses.

Religious_Zealot on December 27, 2008 at 9:50 PM

For “Allahpundit,” in the devout hope that he is working himself out of a job.

This job? Perhaps he wants you to be a syndicated independent writer, or go back to having your own blog. Make no mistake about it – he reads some of your writings and knows exactly who you are, what you created, and likes you for it.

All those using this thread to prove their ‘superior’ believing are really off topic and once again making a ‘nice’ effort to convince all others of something…just not something good, or not in a good way. Just think about it, more deeply.

hillbillyjim, thanks for being so tolerant.

Entelechy on December 27, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Well in that case I would say that “God” has done a better job of that “himself”.

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 10:03 PM

“1. He’s making an atheist joke on my alias, i.e. it’s high time the world rid itself of Allah.”

But…but…some people a stone’s throw from loin cloths produced a book about him. He must be real.

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 10:06 PM

All those using this thread to prove their ’superior’ believing are really off topic and once again making a ‘nice’ effort to convince all others of something…just not something good, or not in a good way. Just think about it, more deeply.

Entelechy,

A belated Merry Christmas and a premature Happy New Year.

I don’t think that anti-theism is compatible with conservatism.

We can believe what we like but anyone who spends their time openly disdaining Christian belief is not conserving our civillisation but effectively tearing down the bits they don’t care for while trying to hold onto the bits they like (low taxes for example).

A conservative atheist should recognise that Christian civillisation is indeed superior to the alternatives even if they do not hold the belief or disagree with this or that doctrine.

aengus on December 27, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Religious_Zealot on December 27, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Your yelling indicates that you have other issues that would have me just as soon find someone else to banter with. I hope you had a Merry Christmas.

baldilocks on December 27, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Heart or head?

In sailing o’er life’s ocean wide
No doubt the heart should be your guide;
But it is awkward when you find
A heart, a heart that does not know its mind!

Maybe he wants you to work for him.

Aronne on December 27, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Entelechy on December 27, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Hi, Miss E!

baldilocks on December 27, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Entelechy on December 27, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I’m not sure how tolerant I am, but thanks.

Good to see you back in the trenches!

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 10:16 PM

aengus on December 27, 2008 at 10:10 PM

I’d like to think that a belief in the tooth fairy is superior to other alternatives because nobody has killed, burned, tortured, etc. anyone else because they believe in the tooth fairy.

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 10:36 PM

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 10:36 PM

You’ve got to do better than that. Belief in the tooth fairy has not, as far as I can tell from here, produced the longest lasting institution humanity has seen, or influenced the ebb and flow of history. Puh leeeeeeez.

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 10:40 PM

nor influenced….

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 10:42 PM

baldilocks on December 27, 2008 at 10:14 PM

1) In online discussions it’s hard to emphasize a word. I use CAPS to emphasize the particular point. It’s not yelling.

2) As far as banter goes, to be honest, I have no idea what your issue is with what I originally said. You seem to think I was saying something I wasn’t and you want to redefine the word hypocrite to describe something it was never meant to define.

If that’s ‘banter’, then by all means, continue but I’ve got better things to do than to defend what you think I meant.

Religious_Zealot on December 27, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Religious_Zealot on December 27, 2008 at 10:47 PM

I always use the emphasis button…but hey, what do I know?

James on December 27, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Option 4: Mr. Hitchens drank the bulk of his Christmas presents before scrawling the dedication. Expect a lengthier follow-up dedication – predictably outrageous and laugh-out-loud funny – in an upcoming SLATE column.

Hey, it’s a theory….

sulla on December 27, 2008 at 11:01 PM

16 years of Jesuit education down the drain. I hope your parents sue you.

Blake on December 27, 2008 at 11:02 PM

I always use the emphasis button…but hey, what do I know?

James on December 27, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Italics?

Raaaaacist!!!

/grin

sulla on December 27, 2008 at 11:02 PM

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Frankly this utilitarian argument for religion (the Medved argument) seems similar to arguments in favor of the Gulf of Tonkin lies, since they were successful they should be given some credibility, not because of their factual merits.

I happen to think that it is rather immoral to lie to society regardless of the opportunity cost, especially if you are in the “morality” business. And most people who give the utilitarian argument for religion are usually closeted atheists based on the “fitly spoken words” that they use and since that argument is basically acknowledgment that the dogma is BS used to keep the rabble in line. There are other ways to do that, just because it one of the only methods used doesn’t make it the best possible choice. Also since history is usually erased for other methods once a new method takes over it is hard to find out how successful other methods were and for how long. Fear of the unknown is not a good reason. Lying to people in the manner that organized religions do has severe psychological repercussions.

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Italics?

Raaaaacist!!!

/grin

sulla on December 27, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Dangit, I guess my words just weren’t strong enough.

James on December 27, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Religious_Zealot on December 27, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Using all-caps indeed indicates yelling. However, I do get that sometimes people don’t know how to use the html features provided above each comment window here at HA.

I have no idea what your issue is with what I originally said.

You’re imbuing definitions to words that are other that those conventionally assigned to them.

Religious_Zealot on December 27, 2008 at 10:47 PM

We all have better things to do than talk to/argue with persons we really don’t know. (That’s why I assign the word ‘banter’ to such communications.) But that we have other more important things to do is neither here nor there.

My original point still stands, however: that God loves us all, but likes some things we do better than others. “Without faith, it is impossible to please God…” That statement implies that God likes faith and does not like lack of faith and it implies that God exercises judgment.

Therefore, any assertion about God’s preferences of one thing over another versus the assertion that God loves everyone equally do not cancel each other out.

I’m less wedded to my assertion about the nature and characteristics of hypocrites, so I leave your last assertion un-argued with.

baldilocks on December 27, 2008 at 11:11 PM

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Prostitution? :)

FloatingRock on December 27, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Haven’t read the comments, so apologies to any other optimistic capitalists out there.

But it could be that he hopes you are doing so well financially in your entrepreneurial venture that you will soon need not to work at all. Could be.

Jaibones on December 27, 2008 at 11:12 PM

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 11:03 PM

In which case the entire history of Western civillisation, including the founding of America, is really and always has been a history of severe psychological repercussions.

Good luck in creating a radical libertarian society of perfect, psychologically sound free thinkers.

aengus on December 27, 2008 at 11:13 PM

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 11:03 PM

What has all of that to do with the price of tea in Indonesia?

You were comparing belief in a deity to belief in the tooth fairy, which is sophistic bullshit.

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Collie, didn’t I tell you to quit forging celebrity handwriting?

My collie says:

Does this mean that I have to give the money back for all that fake baseball paraphernalia that I’ve been peddling?

Just don’t be selling any autographed Dwight Gooden or Darryl Strawberry baseballs to AllahPundit, okay?

CyberCipher on December 27, 2008 at 11:19 PM

FloatingRock on December 27, 2008 at 11:12 PM

I stand corrected.

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 11:20 PM

aengus on December 27, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Yes outsourcing some of the most important questions an individual can seek to nonsensical fable books has been regressive on society. We are adults, we need to be treated like adults. We have outgrown the “tooth fairy”.

It doesn’t have to be libertarian, that is why things such as federalism and decentralization are such good ideas, it gives people a better opportunity at self determination.

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 11:20 PM

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 11:20 PM

You’ll love the QOTD thread.

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Bad form, man. The man like to drink but I’d guess he writes drunk a thousand times better than you will ever write sober.

Dr. Manhattan on December 27, 2008 at 6:27 PM

I’ll have you know my handwriting is extremely legible.

You people are way too thin skinned if you think saying the guys handwriting looks like he was drunk is some sort of moral outrage. It’s sloppy as hell.

Ampersand on December 27, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Of course he’s read this site. He traffics in the written word, and plenty of written words have been spilt over him here on HA. The joke is on the moniker.

Spirit of 1776 on December 27, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Allah,

We love Hitch because he writes so well, and is a courageous fellow, but we love you more because you think so clearly, and are equally if not more courageous (unless, of course, your real name is not Allahpundit).

There, feel better?

JudetheFossil on December 28, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Good lord. It’s like getting a Bible autographed by the Pope.

Yeah, because the Pope wrote the Bible.

/eyeroll

fossten on December 28, 2008 at 12:34 AM

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 11:03 PM

It’s interesting that you appeal to morality, yet deny the permanent. On what is morality based? On what is culture based?

The word culture itself is derived from the Latin cultus, “care, cultivation, worship.” No religion, no culture. The defining aspects of our Western heritage are derived from our Christian religion: law, art, music, philosophy, history.

To set that all aside in order to retain pride and disobedience to any authority outside of yourself is an awfully high price to pay. Why bother with anything at all?

Fallen Sparrow on December 28, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Ampersand on December 27, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Maybe he is secretly an M.D..

Johan Klaus on December 28, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Allah, does anyone know your real name? Does MM just pay you by dropping off a suitcase of money at a specific location once a month?

amerpundit on December 27, 2008 at 6:15 PM

I was thinking something like this too.

Sapwolf on December 28, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Religious_Zealot on December 27, 2008 at 9:50 PM

If you had a picture dictionary there would be a picture of Al Gore.

MB4 on December 28, 2008 at 12:58 AM

Number 1 of course.

BTW when you’re finished reading G.I.N.G. you should read this article, a response by a Catholic writer.

aengus on December 27, 2008 at 6:22 PM

It’s amazing that a guy who thinks he is so educated could be so ignorant of facts and truth as Hitchens. The Catholic Church did more to save Jews during Hitler’s years in power than any other institution. It is estimated as many as 700,000 to 900,000 Jews in Europe were assisted to escape death at the hands of the Nazis.

Also, most people know nothing of the attacks on Catholicism in Germany during Bismarck’s time which in a way paved the way for Hitler later.

Every murderous regime in the 20th century is secular, communist, fascist, etc.

I just cannot understand Hitchens. He needs to get over the fact that Christians for the most part are good people, who can sin like anybody else, but who have a better understanding of ‘fallen’ man.

He is so lost and blind it is embarrasing.

Sapwolf on December 28, 2008 at 1:05 AM

I’ll have you know my handwriting is extremely legible.

Ampersand on December 27, 2008 at 11:47 PM

You are correct. It is very sloppy. He probably is like me in that he may type a lot and combined with his aging can produce this effect. I notice on my handwriting too.

Sapwolf on December 28, 2008 at 1:08 AM

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Well, the Mock Turtle did get pretty hot under the shell when he didn’t get any money for his lost tooth but we managed to restrain him.

Cheshire Cat on December 28, 2008 at 1:09 AM

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 10:40 PM

The Tooth Fairy invented reeling and writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic: Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.

Cheshire Cat on December 28, 2008 at 1:11 AM

A belated Merry Christmas and a premature Happy New Year.

I don’t think that anti-theism is compatible with conservatism…

aengus on December 27, 2008 at 10:10 PM

And a belated Merry Christmas to you too, dear aengus, and all the best for a glorious 2009.

On the rest of your comment to me, first thank you. Then, I’m not an anti-theist – just an anti-zealot of all kinds. I’d rather spend eternity in hell with Hitchens than the same span in heaven with the zealots who take over some of the threads here.

The main reason for that is not so much philosophical or spiritual but rather that I can’t be bored for too long. Perfect example – I don’t always agree with you but I find your comments highly interesting. You try to share what you know and what you believe in, or what you’d like to find out, without damning the rest of us to hell.

This thread was meant to be about a special gift AP received, a year late, due to inability to have it inscribed last year. Instead the holier-than-thous came out of their hiding and the beating began…It seems that most all threads have 2-3 who will ruin them. No wonder so many old time commenters went into hiding. To be sure it’s not only this topic.

hillbillyjim, I meant that you are tolerant of Hitchens’ writings, in spite of your perhaps divergent beliefs. I admire that. baldilocks has that same grand capacity.

Those of you who can’t stay away from diminishing Hitchens’ writing due to his preference for spirits must all be lacrima cristi dry in all aspects of your lives. I applaud you.

Those who condemn him for his handwriting – here’s a bit of news – we all have one, good or bad, and can’t control how it is. Look into it.

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 1:11 AM

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

MB4 on December 28, 2008 at 1:17 AM

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 11:20 PM

The rise of the West had much less to do with democracy than with the rise of secularism. The West’s advance was chiefly related to the decline in the influence of religion that sought the truth by “looking in” to see what God had to say, and its replacement by looking out, deriving authority from observation, experimentation and exploration.

The original figures to draw attention to this were Bishop Robert Grosseteste, early in the 13th century, the first person to imagine the experiment, and his contemporary, St Thomas Aquinas, the first man to imagine a secular world, a world without God directing everything. Secularism is not the same as atheism, of course, both Grosseteste and Aquinas were priests. But they helped us to escape from the overbearing medieval view that the world has meaning and pattern only in relation to God [or Allah].

MB4 on December 28, 2008 at 1:22 AM

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 1:11 AM

I agree. Some religious hoes up in here just get all nasty and currazy.

I don’t understand the claim that you can’t be atheist/agnostic and be conservative. I am!

I’m so sick of the religious conservatives thinking they own the movement; thinking they own the damned party.

NEWSFLASH:
You don’t!

You can be for limited government, low taxes, strong defense, respect of tradition, and for individual freedom AND be either atheist or agnostic.

There is no mutual exclusivity.

blatantblue on December 28, 2008 at 1:25 AM

blatantblue on December 28, 2008 at 1:25 AM

Indeed – to each’s own. I liked Ronald Reagan a lot. He believed in a big tent and wasn’t so particular on beliefs, non-beliefs – especially he was more tolerant. More tolerance is sought from the believers, and from the non-believers. It’s surprising to see so much militancy from the ones who’re trying to convince others to join them.

- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

MB4 on December 28, 2008 at 1:17 AM

There are also many wise ones who believe and many common ones who don’t. I absolutely believe that rulers find it useful, and did so over all times. It was also good to see Seneca’s full name.

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 1:46 AM

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 1:46 AM

What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth. The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind to filch wealth and power to themselves. They, in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ.
- Thomas Jefferson

MB4 on December 28, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Al Gore converted simple changes in the weather into an engine for enslaving mankind to filch wealth and power to himself. He, in fact, constitutes the real Anti-Scientist.

Same show, just under a different tent.

MB4 on December 28, 2008 at 1:54 AM

AP it seems inconceivable to me that in the great sweep of human endeavor Hitch has never once stopped into H/A.

Whether he thinks your skills are mad epic or nonexistent nobody but Hitch can say, but I’d venture a guess that he is more of a fan than less.

Mike D. on December 28, 2008 at 2:11 AM

Looking again at Hitch’s rambly (likkered-up?) chicken scratch, does evidence of a Mancrush emerge?

Mike D. on December 28, 2008 at 2:18 AM

Of course he reads Hot Air. Who doesn’t?

And about his intent, I also give a vote to option 3. But truly, his gift is giving us a nice thread in which to debate it.

Security Mom on December 28, 2008 at 2:27 AM

You can be atheist/agnostic and conservative at the same time, no problem. But you cannot be an anti-theist and a conservative simultaneously. Western civillisation was not created by Voltaire or his legions of clever intellectual imitators.

aengus on December 28, 2008 at 2:31 AM

It was also good to see Seneca’s full name.

Seneca has no relevance to any serious debate concerning religion. He was probably the greatest hypocrite in human history, certainly in recorded history.

aengus on December 28, 2008 at 2:36 AM

Seneca Al Gore has no relevance to any serious debate concerning religion climate. He was is probably the greatest hypocrite in human history, certainly in recorded history.

aengus on December 28, 2008 at 2:36 AM

MB4 on December 28, 2008 at 2:57 AM

AP, you have some serious self-esteem issues to work out: those are high compliments and pretty obvious ones too.

I’ve wondered myself how, in the midst of what is MM’s site, your atheist tauntings would affect HA’s traffic given that so many R’s are religious (not including myself). He is making the same point: may you do your job so well MM will fire you.

You’ve got to get over the beta male stuff — or you’ll never land KP…

Just sayin’….

wordwarp on December 28, 2008 at 3:34 AM

Sad

Connie on December 28, 2008 at 4:17 AM

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 1:11 AM

I meant no offense, and if Hitchens or AP took any I offer apology without reservation.

This Christmas gift is a great one, of personal meaning to AP and yet another demonstration of the Boss’s graciousness, and a lovely gesture from Mr. Hitchens.

But if anyone – ANYONE – can appreciate the skewering of sacred cows, it’s Hitchens. The man’s made his living at it, for … Dawkin’s sake. It would insult the man to deify him, and if he could be deified he would strike you down in godlike wrath for your obnoxious piety.

sulla on December 28, 2008 at 4:21 AM

Allah paṇḍitá

I hope you enjoy your Christmas present in Hell.

:P

Ugly on December 28, 2008 at 4:49 AM

hitchens again proving to be ignorant

jp on December 28, 2008 at 4:59 AM

Who writes the date like that? He really is an elitist snob who thinks himself above the stupid minions of the world. No wonder AP worships him like Catholics do the Pope. Ridiculous.

Sultry Beauty on December 28, 2008 at 5:46 AM

Sigh…we Christians are an easy target 365! We won’t cut your head off or blow ourselves or you up along with your families. All we do is express our frustrations on a silly blog and then we go about our daily business trusting our Lord that all is actually ok with the world. And He reminds us that it is…

sabbott on December 28, 2008 at 6:33 AM

LevStrauss on December 27, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Rational thinking adults have no problem seperating lying humans from ‘organized religions.’

If I try to explain some sort of doctrine to you while someone else offers a different explanation, do you reflexively conclude said doctrine is lying? That’s very strange deduction, to say the least. Severe psychological repercussions, indeed.

anuts on December 28, 2008 at 6:57 AM

Who writes the date like that?

Yeah, had a laugh at that myself.

JiangxiDad on December 28, 2008 at 9:10 AM

I read somewhere that Hitchens had a wax job to remove all of his pubic hairs, but did not find any reference to who did the wax job. Perhaps he hopes AP does not have to repeat the procedure for him.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

Right_of_Attila on December 28, 2008 at 9:35 AM

AP,

And so what if he was implying you sucked? So What?

Why do you care what he thinks…is it just because he’s the premiere atheist that you give a sh!t about his opinion, but if he was just some schlump then who gives a flyin’ flip?

Dude, you really are fulfilling your beta status…I suggest you go find your spine.

Miss_Anthrope on December 28, 2008 at 9:44 AM

So, there’s a chance that Hitchen’s has not only read my comments but maybe even clicked through to my blog? Awesome.

Then again, he probably never reads the comments.

Almost as cool a gift as Lego Indiana Jones, almost.

Krydor on December 28, 2008 at 9:46 AM

You can be atheist/agnostic and conservative at the same time, no problem. But you cannot be an anti-theist and a conservative simultaneously. Western civilisation was not created by Voltaire or his legions of clever intellectual imitators.

aengus on December 28, 2008 at 2:31 AM

aengus is absolutely right on this. Those who are anti-theist or anti-religion cannot be conservative at the same time. That’s because, in my view, they view religion as their enemy.

Let me explain, as someone is who is a Conservative non-theist:

Those who are trying to gather people together for other issues: environmentalism, worker’s rights, etc., tend to utilize many of the same concepts to keep their flock together, but use the state not God to worship. Religion interferes with their issues, so anti-theists will aggressively pursue efforts to diminish or eliminate Religion altogether.

That’s why Conservatives will tend to be quiet non-theists, while Liberals will tend to be loud, aggressive, militant anti-theists.

Miss_Anthrope on December 28, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Good lord. It’s like getting a Bible autographed by the Pope.

So I guess we know what Michelle got Ed for Christmas. But what did MM get in return? My guess is that Ed sent frozen samples of climate change, and Allah sent some of his lithium prescription.

Mark30339 on December 28, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Yes, after having been a major fan of the Hitch, (until a couple of years ago when his toxicity level made it painful for me to read his columns; then there is his deep, (anti-Palin) mysogyny), I can make a good guess that he’s complimenting you, AP. However, there is the underlying message that you’re just plain silly to work at a conservative blog–if you’re a good atheist. The reference to your alias is a an obvious, superficial reason to toss you off as ironic in a puerile kind of way.
I don’t think that he would trouble himself to read Hotair, even if there was a fellow God hater here. Hitch dosen’t condescend well, as his handwriting implies.
My bet is that he’s too hideous to be on TV, that’s why we have seen little of him ‘gifting’ us with his ‘presence’.

Christine on December 28, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Well, Miss_Anthrope, in the current war, religion is certainly the enemy. Passive religions and practitioners of same aren’t an issue. It’s the in-your-face-save-you-from-satan ones that are the problem.

I’m anti-fundamentalist. Muslim, Hindu, Jew and Christian fundamentalist are all dangerous in their own way (as are some of the new pseudo scientific religions). I’m unquestionably anti ignorance which goes hand in hand with being anti religious fundamentalist.

Krydor on December 28, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Good lord. It’s like getting a Bible autographed by the Pope.

No, it’s more like getting an autographed copy of the satanists bible signed by anton la vey.

SaintOlaf on December 28, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Congratulations Allah. Very thoughtful gift from Michelle. Nice.

That said, all due respect, can you stop saying “good lord” now? :)

Just sayin’…

inviolet on December 28, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Well, that is the most negative possible way of construing the issue. Here’s a more positive way: in the schema of humanity’s priorities, exploring ultimate and unanswerable questions, being a bit of a luxury, takes a distant back seat to the important of forming functioning communities. Shared stories and mythology is an extraordinarily powerful tool, perhaps even essential, for creating communities and propagating their shared values.

The modern belief seems to be that hypocrisy and mendacity are the worst of all possible sins, and the follow-on belief that this trumps any possible value that a shared story may have for community formation. I call shenanigans. I just don’t think that this modern set of priorities is right; in fact, I think it’s insidiously destructive. Columbus and the Pilgrims didn’t regard indigenous people with the same respect that we now do? Then let’s trash the heroic stories that have helped form America’s culture! Think God doesn’t exist? Then let’s just call Christians bigots because they have no ultimate reason to disapprove of homosexual behavior! Did Jefferson own slaves? Then down with those shared cultural myths that would lead one to admire him!

Hogwash. The shared mythology of a community is its binding and its strength, and we would do well to send our valuable analytical talents in some other direction than picking our mythology apart.

Now, if you want to look at the effect of a shared story on the values and behavior of a community, and judge both the story and the community thereby, I’d agree.

Splunge on December 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Oh, and my reading of the inscription is essentially AP’s #1, but perhaps subtly different:

“May you do your job so well that it will seem ludicrious that punditry on the subject of Allah is necessary.”

So I don’t really see it as a joke, but as a serious well-wish. That reading gives no definitive answer as to whether Mr. Hitchens has read you, but it hints that he has not, since, as I’m reading it, it’s purely a response to the name.

Splunge on December 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM

aengus on December 28, 2008 at 2:36 AM

To be sure, no claim made to the contrary.

On the way he wrote the date – I noticed it yesterday and forgot to comment – I like it, just in format, and that it is truly him.

Aside – on a more serious note, only the Asian way of writing dates is logical, especially in a computer age – it’s yymmdd. The American and European versions need to be converted to subtact one date from another. Sometimes it w/b good if all the world would adopt something meaningful, no matter the source.

Then, Mr. Hitchens would have written 08-XII-23 – with no relationship to logic, or necessity, of course :)

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Hitchens is hoping that he will tick off enough Christians to be fired.

hashman on December 28, 2008 at 9:03 PM

It’s a War On Terror joke with “devout” underscoring the Islamofascist reference. I’m still annoyed by the “w/” like Hitch ever waited a table in his life. “86 the atheism. TX!”

chunderroad on December 28, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Hitch isn’t really as smart as he he would have us believe.
In fact being an “intellectual” is often a sign that one is simply too lazy to actually work for a living.

esblowfeld on December 28, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Dude,

It’s a gift.

Don’t psychoanalyze yourself and everyone else so much. God, you sound like my mother. “Does this gift make my ass look fat?”

Subsunk

Subsunk on December 29, 2008 at 6:38 AM

Entelechy on December 28, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Or he may have been inspired by the French Republican Calendar, which got rid of the dastardly Gregorian Calendar (damn those Christians!), and used Roman Numerals to designate years.

Buy Danish on December 29, 2008 at 7:03 AM

Hitchens is a petty, petulant Trotskyite who relishes spreading his misery around. How could any self-respecting Conservative, atheist or not, get excited by praises from such a schlub?

AP, you should know better than to care about this unrepentent, pseudo-couth drunk.

Bizarro No. 1 on December 29, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Could it be his snide way of saying that your atheistic writings will one day so miff the Boss that she’ll fire you?

max1 on December 29, 2008 at 10:38 AM

sabbott

Silly, don’t you know that to liberals and atheists, that amounts to hate speech and emotional terrorism?! And to them that is worse than getting your head chopped off.(especially since maybe if they rage against the Christians, the “religion of peace’ers” might leave them alone.Heh, heh, good luck with that);)

Sterling Holobyte on December 29, 2008 at 1:37 PM

That’s my vote.

I mean it is Hitchens, and the only time he and the Right agree is when it comes to radical Islam (so it might not even be a joke). I wouldn’t be surprised if he knows who you are even if he doesn’t read Hot Air.

And people with common sense know you’re a brilliant writer, so it could never be number 2.

Esthier on December 29, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Why would you care if Christopher Hitchens reads this blog… New Years resolution- Allah aim higher..I’m smart enough, I’m good enough, and darn it people like me “Stuart Smalley”

Dr Evil on December 31, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Should atheists even get Christmas presents?

You should give back your present just on principle.

jjjen on January 1, 2009 at 1:33 PM