Credit where it’s due

posted at 10:55 am on December 27, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama took an hour out of his Christmas in Hawaii to visit Marines at Kaneche Bay.  ABC’s Sunlen Miller makes it sound as though Obama got an unenthusiastic reception:

As Obama entered the room it was absent of the regular fanfare of cheering and clapping. The diners were polite; staying seated at their respective tables and waited for the President-elect to come to them to stand up.

Obama, dressed casually in a blue polo shirt and dark khaki trousers, worked his way around the room – table by table – and took pictures with the service members. He slapped them on the back at times, shook hands, and signed some autographs.

“Hey guys, Merry Christmas,” The President-elect said as he walked from table to table.

In fairness, he walked it while the Marines had already begun eating their holiday meal.  That may have accounted for the lack of applause and cheers on entering the room.  Obama probably surprised them as well with his visit.

I’m sure some will make hay out of the supposedly lukewarm reception Obama received, but I won’t be one of them.  Obama took the time to visit our men and women serving their country on the holiday, something he could have easily skipped since he’s not yet their Commander in Chief and technically no longer a member of the Senate, either.  He didn’t make a big deal out of it, either.  Obama will give us plenty to criticize in the next few years, and hopefully a few things to cheer as well.  Visiting the troops is cause for the latter.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

What, in contrast, do you think would have happened if Colonel Oliver North (ret.) would have walked into the room?

Phil Byler on December 29, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008
“*But I suppose you think that, “well he started it!” is a reasonable way for grownups to act.”

In a way you are right I do think Obama started it with his “Hope&Change” I’m just going to keep remining folks that they voted for a promise not a strategy…. a promise from a man who has only ever promoted himself and so far seems to be flipping on his promises (even to his daughters ..the new puppy that will be going to the White House with them)… I’m “hoping” President Obama will “Change” and keep some of his election promises at least to his kids, but maybe when it comes to promises his kids know him better than we do.

philly_PA on December 29, 2008 at 9:23 AM

You know what? Plain old American is good enough for most of us but not all of us…we still have some flaming a**holes walking around judging people on the color of their skin – unfortunately.

Amazing isn’t it – in 2008?

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 12:22 AM

You are talking about the 90+% of people who voted based on skin color, aren’t you?

dish on December 29, 2008 at 10:25 AM

dish on December 29, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Do not confuse her with logic.

kingsjester on December 29, 2008 at 10:32 AM

If Col North Entered the room, you would see the room come to attention accompanied by many cheers HOO AHs and crisp salutes.

Military people know a skunk when they smell one.

dogsoldier on December 29, 2008 at 11:13 AM

dish on December 29, 2008 at 10:25 AM

No, I was referencing the Stromfront types actually.

I do really buy into the arguement that those who voted for him hate white people. My brother and sister, many of my neigbors voted for him and didn’t because of the color of his skin or because they dislike white people.

There are many more sinister characters out there who dislike the idea of a black person running the show than vice versa.

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 11:24 AM

This reminds me of a similar incident that occurred in Newburgh, NY when John F. Kerry was running for President.

diogenes on December 29, 2008 at 11:34 AM

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Really?? I understand why AoAD (American’s of African Descent–my own little acronym–puts America first) were proud to vote for Sen.Obama and I don’t think it has anything to do with hating white people…

I think it’s people with a chip on their shoulder, or a victimhood mentality, that causes the majority of racial problems in our little world. That includes both the Stromfront AND the racial hate baiters like Sharpton. I certainly DIDN’T not vote for Sen.Obama based on the color of his skin…

dish on December 29, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Obama misses church on Sunday.

He goes to the military gym and runs into some Marines.

faraway on December 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM

From Power Line-’nuff said

A reader writes from Hawaii regarding President-elect Obama’s visit with the Marines:

Aloha.

I’m an active duty naval officer stationed in Pearl Harbor. I was there for the president-elect’s appearance. The crowd was respectful, as you might expect from today’s professional Marines.

The reception was a short photo-op kind of thing. Couple of quick turns around the tables and he was gone.

What was of more interest, at least to me, were the conversations after he left. Many Marines expressed concern that they will be out of Iraq before it’s prudent. These are 3rd Regiment Marines, who have been in heavy rotation in Iraq for the past 3-4 years; many are returning from their 3rd tour and will be heading out on their 4th presently.

Being Marines, they want the Army to hold Iraq so they can go to Afghanistan and work on solving that problem. What they don’t want is a retreat or a hollow residual force that masks a retreat. They know Iraq is on weak legs now and it will need a strong US presence for at least a decade.

Hope the P-E knows that too.

Del Dolemonte on December 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM

He’s renting several multi-million dollar homes, but he doesn’t have access to gym equipment there?

Weird.

Y-not on December 28, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Yes, according to the rental people handling this property, the house comes with a fully equipped weight room.

Del Dolemonte on December 29, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Sorry, don’t think I made my point well enough. Preview is my friend!!

AprilOrit, I wish that the first black President was voted into office by the majority because he was the BETTER candidate, not because it was a cool thing to vote for him. I don’t think he’s a Muslim, I don’t think he isn’t qualified by his citizenship (although it does LOOK like he has something to hide–poor management I think), but I certainly question his Democratic policies of throwing more good money after bad without questioning why the original money wasn’t doing what it was meant to do; and I really, really, really question his foreign policy ideas. The whole ‘I’d like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony’ should have gone out with his neighbor’s radical ideology of killing the man. Socialism doesn’t work. Never, ever has, never, ever will.

dish on December 29, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Here’s the rental agent link to the estate Barry is renting. And yes, it mentions that the property has a weight room.

Del Dolemonte on December 29, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Gosh, I wonder if his appearance at the gym was just another photo op?

Nice to know there are some things we can always rely on concerning the POTUS-Elect.

kingsjester on December 29, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Confirmation just now from Allahpundit:

The president-elect, looking uber-cool with his White Sox baseball cap on backwards, flipped the shaka to a crowd of about 30 people as he left a gym on a Marine Corps base on the Hawaiian island of Oahu, where he is vacationing.

Thank you, Reuters.

kingsjester on December 29, 2008 at 12:32 PM

dish on December 29, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I didn’t vote for him.

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 1:04 PM

dish on December 29, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Again, I didn’t vote for him at all.

And like I said those who voted for him – like my brother and sister, my neighbors, the 62 year old president of my coop board who is far from cool – firmly believe he is/was the better candidate, as did many others.

They disagree with your viewpoint – it’s called democracy.

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 1:09 PM

From the blurb on the vacation rental, it goes for $2500-$3500 a night. I assume PEBO is spending at least part of his time there worrying about those of us who have lost our jobs, homes, health insurance, life savings, etc. Because he definitely would, he’s just that kind of a caring person.

califcon on December 29, 2008 at 1:32 PM

They disagree with your viewpoint – it’s called democracy.

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Technically, we have a ‘representative republic’.

From your posts just after midnight and this morning around 11 am (blog time) it sounded like most of the people you knew voted for Sen.Obama based on the color of his skin, or the fact that they ‘hated whites’. Sounded like policy didn’t have much to do with their votes.

dish on December 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM

dish on December 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Gaaah, I’m not good at this at all. Need more coffee!

I meant to add that if I misunderstood your post, I apologize.

dish on December 29, 2008 at 2:04 PM

dish on December 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM

If you assumed that – you are mistaken.

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Kanda

“The president-elect didn’t speak to reporters but made small talk with folks who gathered by the road inside the secure base.

Marines and others on the secure base gathered on a traffic island waiting for a glimpse of Obama.

Afterwards, Obama asked the visitors how they were doing and offered a drawn out “al-ohhh-ha.” The group applauded”

Seriously, after the chow hall debacle I’m sure these Marines were “ordered to be there”

Most likely the “duty sections” for that day sent their troops that didn’t have a watch that day to man the line.

Sorry, been there done that.

This is an attempt at damage control by the base command.

First impressions count, after that it’s a staged show, AKA a Dog and Pony show.

DSchoen on December 29, 2008 at 2:49 PM

DSchoen on December 29, 2008 at 2:49 PM

You’re a real piece of work I’d say. I guess when your “truth” dosn’t fit reality you resort to speculation and out and out lies. I see through you.

kanda on December 29, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Proven beyond a shadow of doubt by Del Dolemonte above with admission of realty that multi million dollar vacation home came complete with a weight room…

dish on December 29, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Just for grins, here’s the realtor listing:

“Weight Room with TV/DVD, Wireless Internet”

dish on December 29, 2008 at 3:07 PM

The One will fail despite the media.

IlikedAUH2O on December 29, 2008 at 3:19 PM

The One will fail despite the media.

IlikedAUH2O on December 29, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Focus on solutions, not negative attacks.

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 3:28 PM

I don’t care what McCain did or said or any other politican. The bottom line is the military can recognize a politican who is for them and one who is against them. Apparently BO didn’t excite the Marines that much on that day.

garydt on December 29, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Don’t go visit the troops and you’re anti-military; go and visit the troops and you’re doing it for personal gain.
alex342 on December 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM
Bingo alex…. you got it exactly right.
katy

Let me help ya out here, K!

Don’t go visit the troops (because you can’t take cameras and reporters along) and you’re anti-military;

go and visit the troops (when you can take the cameras and reporters along) and you’re doing it for personal gain.

Does that help?

DSchoen on December 29, 2008 at 4:07 PM

DSchoen on December 29, 2008 at 4:07 PM

You guys just think you know it all now, dontcha….

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Castle Point

Located on fabulous Castle Point at Kailua Beach. This 5 bedroom, 5 1/2 bath private estate is located at the end of a private road. An enclosed yard protected on one side by the ocean and the other by the beach add to the magical seclusion of this home.

This estate is an original historic Castle family home that was completely remodeled in 2005 with everything from the basics to quality furnishings, gourmet kitchen, granite, and more.

The uniquely wonderful appeal of this estate is everything is done in an open air design for the ultimate island paradise.

Weight Room with TV/DVD, Wireless Internet”

That’s not surprising considering he is blood descendant of the Hawaiian Missionaries, Alexander, Baldwin, Cook, Castle, Hitchcock etc.

DSchoen on December 29, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Perhaps the Marines remember that when Obama was asked in an interview what he thought about Murtha’s accusations that the Marines in Haditha committed “cold blooded murder”, his (Obama’s) response was that he thought Murtha was “someone who knows of which he speaks.” This was in June 2006! Way before the campaign and reflected Obama’s partisan self.

How very pitiful this man whose partisan support for the disgrace that is John Murtha was more important to him than, not only giving benefit of the doubt to our brave warriors, but as an attorney .. constitutional law none the less, didn’t even extend to them their constitutional rights of innocent until proven guilty, which btw 7 of them have been so far with 1 still awaiting trial.

Obama as CinC of our fine brave band of warriors reminds me of a little boy playing soldier with a toy make believe gun.

Texas Gal on December 29, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Man, take some long breaths here people. I don’t care for the man myself but I think his visit was appropriate.

With some of the bozos giving him advice he could have easily gone over the top, kudos to him that he had enough sense to avoid that.

Wait till he does something really egregious before you go all postal.

Give him a chance to walk the talk….then go nuts :-)

E9RET on December 29, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Exactly at the rate you guys are going you are going to make yourselves sick over this guy.

He’s not worth it…

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Ed, you’re not in the military, so I could care less whether or not you “make hay.” I’m in the military, and I do “make hay,” because I, like most in the military, believe Obama will destroy us and don’t trust him.

I also believe that the American people gave us in the military a big middle finger on November the 4th.

Go take your “can’t we all just get along” silliness some place else.

TTheoLogan on December 29, 2008 at 6:30 PM

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM

The nuts will not quit until the Republican Party goes the way of the Whigs.

Squid Shark on December 29, 2008 at 6:30 PM

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM
The nuts will not quit until the Republican Party goes the way of the Whigs.

Squid Shark on December 29, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Well I hope you are wrong becuase I love this Party and while reading these hate America first comments you have to wonder if they aren’t all agent provocateurs.

They make the Party look crazier by the minute.

It’s amazing that these same people attacked The Left and called them sick with Bush Derangement Syndrome and they are now acting like they are the infected ones – over Obama. And they are acting just like the Dems back in 2000 and 2004 with the sour grapes all around syndrome as well. Funny how all the Conservative bloggers wrote about this back then and are now witnessing it on our side.

Funny how people forget.

First it was leaping on the loon bandwagon with Phillip Berg over the birth certificate, then it was that he stole the election, now it’s that the whole military hates him because they – the commenters ahte him – therefore it just has to be the case.

And this is raw hate, I have never encountered such a group of hateful people on The Right like you are finding here.

It’s really childish and ridiculous, Obama won so we all have to be depicted as the only bitter loons.

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Go take your “can’t we all just get along” silliness some place else.

TTheoLogan on December 29, 2008 at 6:30 PM

This is what I am talking about – he thinks – therefore it’s rational fact.

What’s even craziner is – he is telling Ed in so many words to get lost on his own blog.

Jeez.

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 7:00 PM

You guys just think you know it all now, dontcha….

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Which part is wrong, April?

baldilocks on December 29, 2008 at 7:37 PM

He’s not worth it…

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM

How would anyone make themselves sick by expressing dislike for Obama?

baldilocks on December 29, 2008 at 7:38 PM

The nuts will not quit until the Republican Party goes the way of the Whigs.

Squid Shark on December 29, 2008 at 6:30 PM

If the Republican Party disappears, then it deserves to do so. Why do you care?

baldilocks on December 29, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Jeez.

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 7:00 PM

I’ll agree here. That is crazy.

baldilocks on December 29, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Go take your “can’t we all just get along” silliness some place else.

TTheoLogan on December 29, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Believe that April. A lot of us in the military feel exactly that way.

hawkdriver on December 29, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Which part is wrong, April?

baldilocks on December 29, 2008 at 7:37 PM

If the Republican Party disappears, then it deserves to do so. Why do you care?

baldilocks on December 29, 2008 at 7:39 PM

I care I love the Republican Party – see that’s the difference – I care about the Party – you guys don’t. It’s merely a vehicle for you when you need it, you can basically take it or leave it.

That’s unfair, you have no right doing that to The GOP.

Believe that April. A lot of us in the military feel exactly that way.

hawkdriver on December 29, 2008 at 8:37 PM

And all the more power to ya, but this is Ed’s blog and he rules the roost here, not you.

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 9:01 PM

TTheoLogan on December 29, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Well I am in the military too, and you dont speak for all of us or even most of us, so quit intimating that you do.

Squid Shark on December 29, 2008 at 9:21 PM

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Er, what in Gods name did I do to Ed?

April, in general I have had to listen to Democrats and liberals deride our efforts since the damn war began. There is nothing worse that hearing campaign rhetoric to make political points while your units getting shot at daily.

Squid Shark on December 29, 2008 at 9:21 PM

If my unit and Ft. Bragg are any indicator, TTheoLogan surely does speak for the majority of the military. I will not serve with him as my Commander in Chief and am currently seeing what can be done to ensure his signiture is not the one that ends up on my retirement paperwork.

He’s just another damn say anything liberal democrat who sold us down the river to get elected.

hawkdriver on December 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM

hawkdriver on December 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM

And just what are you planning on doing?

AprilOrit on December 30, 2008 at 1:09 AM

Jeez.

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 7:00 PM

but this is Ed’s blog and he rules the roost here, not you.

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 9:01 PM

This is Michelle Malkin’s blog, to be exact. Ed works here and can write whatever he pleases. You, I, and anyone else may like it, love, or leave it. You have sucked up to Ed to the point of embarrassing him, and yourself. Look in the mirror – you are dark brown by now.

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2008 at 2:26 AM

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 6:57 PM

You and Squid Shark are pretty rational and see how some the the others are doing things that harm the GOP in the long run. They don’t seem to realize it because they did this to Clintoon then the Dems did it or tried to do it to Bush. Now they are starting all over again doing it to Obama. I hate to say it but they are making good progress destroying the values of the GOP with this irrational behavior. Those who do taint all of us with their dirt.

The good news is it is only a few diehards doing it. They are very vocal and post frequently their deranged view of reality. IMHO we should reply to them once then let them go on showing how foolish and immature they are. Anyone who reads the blogs learns who they are after a short while. It is easy to spot their irrational ranting. Keep the faith. The GOP will recover and people like you, Squid Shark and I among others will help the GOP back to our roots.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 5:00 AM

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2008 at 2:26 AM

Ed is a damn fine fella, a great writer and is going to be part of the group of bloggers (along with the good AllahP) who shows us the way out of this mess, unlike the pack of half baked nutbags that I am sure you think are “on point”.

Squid Shark on December 30, 2008 at 5:04 AM

Go take your “can’t we all just get along” silliness some place else.

TTheoLogan on December 29, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Its ok how you feel about Obama and what it means to the miltary. Thats your right as an American. Heck you can even leave the military if you feel that strongly about it.

What you don’t have a right to do is call someone else out for not having served in the military. Doing that cuts against all that the military stands for in this country. You may not have figured it out but the military is a minority. The majority of Americans have never served. The military is made up of wonderful, dedicated, Americans who lay their lives on the line daily for the rest of us. When you tell even one of those who never served what you told Ed you dishonor those others of us who are or did serve. You should be ashamed of yourself. You should beg forgivness of those who never served and you should resign the Army or leave when your enlistment is up. You are not worthy to serve in our military. You don’t display a good understanding of even the most rudimentary knowledge of why we have a volunteer military. It’s an honor to serve and you squander it on petty BS.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 5:34 AM

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2008 at 2:26 AM

Too funny I can’t believe you stayed up that late to write this. You might want to check that mirror yourself.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 5:37 AM

Del Dolemonte on December 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Yep you’re right everybody is concerned about what Obama will do in Iraq. I personally expect him to “reassess” the situation and do the right thing. Our Marines will get their wish. Afganistan is next. Maybe they’ll get Bin Laden if he is still alive. You can bet one thing. There will change for the better soon. Obama is no fool. He already is cozing up to the military. Wait until the leftys figure out he took them for the big ride to get elected. ha ha.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 5:45 AM

Obama must like our Marines. He visited again. I have to say he is really starting to come across as a regular guy who likes the military. Thats going to blow some minds here ha ha……

Obama a regular at Marine gym on his vacation

The Associated Press
Posted : Monday Dec 29, 2008 19:12:49 EST

KAILUA, Hawaii — President-elect Barack Obama returned Monday to a military gym where he has spent all but one morning since beginning a 12-day vacation in his native Hawaii.

Obama, his wife, Michelle, and family friend Martin Nesbitt visited Marine Corps Base Hawaii’s Semper Fit Center. He did not speak with reporters but greeted about two dozen visitors after his workout.

The president-elect, who skipped the gym on Christmas, also posed for pictures.

Obama has sought to stay out of the public eye while here, opting for private meals at his $9 million rented vacation home or at a friend’s house.

On Sunday, the family took a two-hour scenic drive north up Oahu’s windward coast to the Mokuleia residence of Bobby Titcomb, a high school buddy, where they spent nearly seven hours.

Obama has no public schedule during his stay. Aides say he has been receiving national security briefings and speaking with transition officials.

Obama, his wife and daughters left Chicago on Dec. 20. They are due to return on Jan. 1. He takes office on Jan. 20

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 6:44 AM

Recent post election military poll on Obama indicates cautious optimism. Read the article. Those here who claim to speak for the military are proven wrong by reality. Military is wary about his Iraq positon but not irrational about the next CinC.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 6:56 AM

The arrogance of “kanda” shown in the recent posts is not what the Republican Party needs. Nor does the Republican Party need kanda’s badly misplaced faith in Obama. Talking to Marines who really don’t want to talk with him is just something that Obama will do for show. Obama will attempt to govern from as far left as he can.

Meanwhile, the Middle East is blowing up, and the President-elect simply does not have knowledge or experience in foreign affairs, military matters and national security. Obama was elected because of domestic economic concerns that dominated the electorate’s mind, because of Soros money and because of media bias. Now we are back to being faced with dealing with a very dangerous world, and we are about to have a young, inexperienced President. No one should think that we as a country won’t suffer. We will. The Republicans will then need to be ready with solid conservative solutions for foreign and domestic problems. It is instead a time for the Republicans to go back to basics and retool intellectually.

Phil Byler on December 30, 2008 at 7:57 AM

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 11:24 AM

When that black person plays up skin color politics, associates with terrorists and crooks….and is married to a militant whitey hating wife, I’d say those people have a legitimate concerns. Whereas those same folks would be enthusiastic supporters of a candidate who espoused the concept of MLK’s “I have a dream” speech.

Racism as a threat to an entire race is dead in America. Fat people, ugly people, and others experience as much bigotry as blacks do.

csdeven on December 30, 2008 at 8:08 AM

Phil Byler on December 30, 2008 at 7:57 AM

Thank you Phil. You seem a bit irritated this morning. I’m sorry if what I wrote upset you. Of course Obama will try to govern from as far left as he can. He is a left leaning politician. That is my entire point. How far left do you think the country will let him govern from with the state of affairs as is bad as it is. The economy is hurting. Evil enemies are reappearing. The Mideast is doing its usual post election broil. We’ve always been faced with a very dangerous world. We as a nation may be coming back to that reality finally. That I can agree with you on. You seem to have little faith in the American people to overcome the trauma of having a new president during a time of international crisis. Well I’ve been seeing us do it since Truman was in office and I can tell you it’ll work out fine. There may be a few mistakes early but Obama will learn from them. Trust the American people to keep him center left during this trying time. We will do that. Rather than faith in Obama I’m an optimist for the USA. I hope your day turns out better than it began.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Phil Byler on December 30, 2008 at 7:57 AM

You’re right Republicans need to do this. After getting our butts kicked the last two electioncycles because of arrogant Republican Politicians like Mark Sanford Governor of South Carolina plays politics with the unemployed. This guy has certainly got the right idea. Those things should be done. Its the timing and method he is using that will turn off the voters to the republican party. Tommorrow SC can’t pay unemployment because he is holding the request to the feds hostage. It is dumb. It is stupid. It is wrong! I bet he will not be re-elected. Guess what he did. He just made another Democrat Govenor. This is just one example of the stupid way republicans have governed over the past 14 years. It took us over 40 long years to get republican control of the congress. In 14 short years those WE elected did some pretty stupid things and we let them get away with it. They squandered all our hard work in only 14 years. Even many republicans like myself are disgusted with it. I will stay a Republican much you your chagrin Phil. I’ll attempt to rebuild conservative values. I hope we succeed. The monster we created in 94 sure disappointed us. I hope we learn from it and demand conservative candidates who are actually conservatives to represent us. Hurting people who are already hurting is not the way to do it.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 9:46 AM

In fairness, he walked it while the Marines had already begun eating their holiday meal. That may have accounted for the lack of applause and cheers on entering the room.

Yeah, that’s the ticket….

Vashta.Nerada on December 30, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Ed is a damn fine fella, a great writer

Squid Shark on December 30, 2008 at 5:04 AM

+100

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2008 at 12:10 PM

And just what are you planning on doing?

AprilOrit on December 30, 2008 at 1:09 AM

Er, seeking to request another appropriate official to put their signature on it. What were you thinking?

Why didn’t you answer my question? What did I do to Ed. Ed, did I do something to you?

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 5:34 AM

Where did I do that? You’re inventing a comment or at least the intent of my comment. Maybe you have me confused with a different poster. If you find where I called someone out in this thread for not serving, cut and paste it here, otherwise don’t make stuff up.

Defend him all you want, but you can’t take back his or other liberals comments against us and the prosecution of this war they’ve made since the war began.

Recent post election military poll on Obama indicates cautious optimism.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 6:56 AM

How you could take this stories title and initial content and spin it as “cautious optimism” is quite curious. You would seem to be very much stretching the truth in Mr. Obamas favor for someone who acts like they’re trying to save the Republican Party.

08 Military Times poll: Wary feelings about Obama

When asked how they feel about President-elect Barack Obama as commander in chief, six out of 10 active-duty service members say they are uncertain or pessimistic, according to a Military Times survey.
In follow-up interviews, respondents expressed concerns about Obama’s lack of military service and experience leading men and women in uniform.

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Th

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2008 at 2:26 AM

I am fully aware of whose blog it is and your assumption about Ed is more craziness. Because you think that I have – again done something I haven’t – it just has to be – because you think so.

Again I’m naturally brown – well on the olive side – I look fabulous with a tan and actually still have fairly dark one from my honeymoon. Brown is all good with me.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 5:00 AM

Thank you, I love this Party and these so-called Conservatives (they are really Far Right Loons) have tried hard to destroy it, not even realizing what they are doing. They have been asked nicely to stop, but they continue to do more damage than good.

But you know what – you are right about the diehards – they are the Far Right smear merchants who are never happy, just like their counterparts on The Left. At least Obama is not listening to their loons on their side, he is not really giving into their crazy demands.

Bush gave into The Far Right too much, that’s why we have the problems we have today. This Party is going to break apart, it cannot go on the way it is, just confined to a small part of the country – and expect to be a winning stragedy again.

AprilOrit on December 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM

AprilOrit on December 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM

It might. But if a movement to the center, away from social conservative ideas means abandoning the unborn just to win elections; then this party would hold no more attraction to me. If laying down and letting liberals convince the general public that there is a more “fair” way to mete out free speech, then all who have died in the defense of it will have died for nothing. If we as a party say concede 2nd Amendment rights to reach across the aisle in the spirit of cooperation with those who would seek to control us; then let that acquiescence be the monument to the Republican Parties grave.

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 12:46 PM

I have to ask, Liquid Shark, April Orbit and kanda, what planks to our Conservative Platform do you consider Right-Wing Loonery?

List them and see if we can’t see eye to eye on something.

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Recent post election military poll on Obama indicates cautious optimism.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 6:56 AM

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Unlike you I actually read the article in my Marine Corps Times this morning. Had you done the same you may have missed two sections

Nearly one-third of respondents — including eight out of 10 black service members — said they are optimistic about their incoming boss.

Even some service members who voted against Obama — only 1 in 4 supported him over Sen. John McCain in a pre-election survey of Military Times subscribers —now express goodwill toward him as their new commander in chief.

Second
Peter Feaver, a political science professor at Duke University who has written extensively about civil-military relations, said a degree of uncertainty among service members toward Obama is appropriate, given their questions about how he will govern as commander in chief.

“Those numbers don’t convince me he has got a big problem on his hands because what he is seeing is not military hostility, but rather military caution, and caution that is reasonable because he has never been in the position of this office,” Feaver said. “It’s sensible and understandable that they have doubts about him.

“They respect the office of the commander in chief,” Feaver said. “As long as he wields that office responsibly, then these numbers need not morph into a problem.”

David Segal, a military sociologist at the University of Maryland, said respondents’ optimism toward Obama can be partially attributed to confidence in his military advisers, including Richard Danzig, former secretary of the Navy, and retired Gen. James Jones Jr., former commandant of the Marine Corps and NATO’s Supreme Allied Commander Europe.

Thats something you must have missed. I’m sure you wouldn’t call my comments about this article into question since they were accurate

Perhaps a bit more attention to detail on your part would prevent you from making this type of oversite in the future. I don’t like having to call you on it but since you questioned my integrity I figure you were fair game for exposure as a person who assumes too much without any facts.
I’m sure you won’t repeat that mistake in the future.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM

I can’t believe you stayed up that late to write this.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 5:37 AM

I didn’t. No idea where you are, nor should we know, but I could be 6-9 hours away from you. Not all here are Americans, nor in America. I don’t think that is forbidden.

April, you missed the entire “brown” point because you’re too focused on the actual color of your skin, which is of zero interest to me. Also, a few days ago you said that you celebrated your 14th anniversary, sober. To watch your rants is hilarious, which is a good thing. It would otherwise be boring. To be sure you’re entitled to them, even if you repeat them over, and over, and over.

kanda, you had one real good piece of advice for all; your point, and the ones of the others should be made once, and then move on. I liked that, fwiw. Be well out there, you and all the others. The world needs you. Not all of us are anti-American.

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM

I agree with you about the time comment. That was not a good thing for me to have written. I apologize.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

I’m sure you won’t repeat that mistake in the future.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM

You really do like to insult people don’t you? I did read the whole article. I stand by everything I wrote. The predominant tenor of the piece described a majority of the military that is uncertain about the new President.

I admit I have stronger feelings. The majority of the people in my unit have the same feelings as I do. I can’t wait to retire because I don’t want to serve under him.

But as a fellow Republican who is trying to save the party, why are you so confrontational to other Republicans? I asked above what positions do you consider Far-Right? Why don’t you take some time to answer that so you and I can see what we at least agree on as Republicans, rather than what we’re at odds about?

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

No worries. Nothing to apologize for. Now, hawkdriver is stretching his hand out to you. Meet him so we can be hopeful.

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM

List them and see if we can’t see eye to eye on something.

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 1:14 PM

I read the platform long ago. I have no issues with it really. I think you are probably not as familiar with it as you should be so here is the GOP Platform for 2008. I linked to the values section. Once you get there you should click index to get the whole platform.

The party platform contains what you refer to as planks.

It is made up of these sections:
Chairmen’s Preamble

National Security

Government Reform

Economy

Energy

Environment

Health Care

Education

Crime

Values

The Platform Committee

Committee Members

Committee Staff

Each or the major sections contains the GOP planks pertaining to that section. When the party is in power we expect them to follow this philosophy. The Democrats do essentially the same.

First of all I’m going to tell you what went wrong with our party IMHO.

Here is an exercise for you if you want to educate yourself a bit. Research the party platform starting in 1994. Once you know the platform look in the congressional record and see how well the Republicans did in following our platforms. You may be surprised to learn they didn’t do well. I would say somehow they followed the democrat platform except for national defense where they did do well. Because the of actions of our elected federal Republicans the Democrats really achieved stunning victories. The thing the Republican Congresspersons and Senators missed was that the republican base was horrified by there actions. Sure we tired to pretend otherwise but in the last two elections we wanted new blood. It’s an excercise in futility to try to change the party when it is in power. The leadership won’t listen and they won’t change. The RNC and the leadersip is to blame for what happened. If we had followed Newts direction we would be fine now and still in power. To rescue the GOP now is going to require a huge effort at the grass roots. We can complain all we want but they won’t listen. What will get their attention is what has happened. We threw the bums out. It’s up to the leadership to learn from this.

Some people think John McCain was a good candidate. I love the guy as a Vietnam vet. I know he is honorable and true…but he is not a real conservative. Our party has to stop selecting these libs for office. Its a joke. I know many vote the party line. More of us vote our hearts and in our heart we must believe the candidate represents us and our republican values.

Anyway read those platforms and see if those we elected did the right thing or if they got caught up in power. I think they did our nation a disservice in our name. What we as voter can do is prevent it from happening again starting now.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Happy to oblige.

AprilOrit on December 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Thats a fair question. Its time to get some dialog flowing to better understand our differences. I see so many posts that make little of no rational sense. People just belittiling one another without any facts or an at least semi-intelligent argument. I’m game if you are.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Okay, I’ll ask again, what is your problem and why are you so insulting?

You said far right loons were going to ruin the party. What part of our beliefs do you consider far-right?

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 4:16 PM

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Game on. What’s far right?

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Should we be pro-abortion?

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Okay, I’ll start. I believe in my heart abortion on demand with no limits is far-”left” loonery. Does that make me a right-wing loon?

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 4:24 PM

I guess it’s easier to insult people.

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 5:31 PM

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 4:24 PM

No that belief does not make you a right wing loon. An example of a loon is someone who took the action of murdering abortion doctors or bombing abortion clinics. That would indicate a certain lunacy yes. No the Republicans should not be pro abortion. It is a core value for us to respect the life of the unborn.

As a side note….interestingly enough the courts are begining to charge people who murder pregnent women with double murder. Thats the 5th column against the pro abortion forces. Sooner or later that will make it to the supreme court.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 5:52 PM

I guess it’s easier to insult people.

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Is that really how you feel? I’m hoping you will try having a dialog with me. I personally wish you would but I can work with you on your terms either way.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Okay, I’ll ask again, what is your problem and why are you so insulting?

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Okay thats much better now I see what you have in your craw. You think I meant all republicans are right wing loons or maybe you took it personally and thought I meant you. Fear not if I meant you I would have used your name.

First of all far right loons do damage our party just like the loons on the left damage theirs. When people espouse extreme irrational views it turns other people off perhaps even offends them. Do you think having extreme unbending positions on anything is more than a childish temper tantrum? Thats how it looks to me when people take the attitude of “its my way or the highway”.

I see my comment offended you. That was not my intent. I had not considered you to be a right wing loon. Do you consider yourself to be one? I hope not. I’d rather beat my head against a brick wall than argue with a loon of either extreme.

From your recent posts I see that you feel my writing style is shocking. If it got your attention it achieved the intended purpose. Now that I have your undivided attention maybe we can determine some possible resolutions to issues. For example Obama isn’t going away for at least 4 years like it or not we have that fact to live with. Our Obvious opportunity is what can WE do to get republicans elected in the next two elections.. Crying about obama isn’t going to help. It only wastes valuable time and resources arguing amongst ourselves while the Dems solidify their position.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Thank you as a courtesy to you I’ll do my best to reach back.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 6:19 PM

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 5:55 PM

I didn’t think you were going to answer. I was waiting at work for a while then left and still didn’t see a response when I got home either. Look, I’ll be candid and maybe here is where we got off on the wrong foot. I get the impression that you have more distain for fellow Republicans than you do for Liberals. Especially, the “loons”.

BTW, I’m glad you did answer.

And I’m just wondering what specifically we Social Conservatives do that put us squarely in the loon category? What specifically makes me Far-Right? I guess my abortion stance is okay. But what would put me over the top as far as a core political belief in your book? What do I believe, that will ruin The Party?

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 6:28 PM

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Absolutely not. I was commenting on the people here who believe Obama was not born here, or stole the election, or they believe he is a Muslim. Or they just want to cast stones before the guy even has a chance, i.e. the whole Blago thing.

It’s so negative, but they don’t see that at all.

That’s Far Right loonery – smear merchant doings. Kind of the same as how The Left Wing smear merchants believed all kinds of craziness about Bush and put it out there like the 9/11 Truth Movement etc.

I wasn’t talking about abortion or gun rights at all. I am referring to tin foil hat issues that are based on conspiracies and conjecture, and just that real partisan nastiness that we endured from The Left for the last 8 years. There are many on The Right who want to get even and do the same.

Now personally I am not a social Conservative so there we may have some differences. In other words if you want to read or watch porno – I could care less. Or if you do or don’t want to say Merry Christmas – who cares. The whole evolution/creationism should be a choice – not forced on anyone. I believe govt should be so small that social issues should not even be legislated at all.

These Far Right types seem to be very stubborn and are not neccesarily looking out for the good of the GOP as a whole. They are more interested in getting even with those they feel are obstructing their ability to do certain things that border on free speech vs hate speech.

In other words they could care less if the Party looks bad in the eyes of the general Moderate population, and this is a Moderate country – I mean we are fighting crazy Fundie types abroad and pleading with Moderate Muslims to step up to the plate to help us. Why foster that same behavior here in our own country from either side – Far Left or Far Right.

Bottom-line this kind of know-it-all attitude doesn’t work, it didn’t work – we lost.

It’s time to realign and try something more positive the way we used to be. Back in 2000 and 2004 the GOP made some excellent points about the Dems – all the Dems did was attack us or Bush, they never had a positive voice or a plan.

Now it seems we have allowed ourselves to assume this position and that’s not good. Newt Gingrinch is right – we need to find our voice again, somehow we lost it.

AprilOrit on December 30, 2008 at 6:39 PM

lol, You know, I’m happy to see that we have similar political beliefs. I think I’ve solved the riddle though of what was the friction point between our posts early on. You don’t see yourself as a little condescending, do you? We all kid and jab a little here, but I’m not your student and you certainly won’t have my undivided attention while you’re trying to talk down to me. If you’re truly desiring dialog with a fellow Conservative Republican who is worried about the party. Let’s go. But if you’re just taking some misguided pleasure out of exchanging comments to folks you consider your lesser, then count me out. I’ll look forward to your posts in the future. I hope we can be more civil.

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 6:40 PM

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 6:28 PM

I understand and appreciate your candor. I don’t think your belief will ruin our party. Far from it. You opinions on some issues may be different than mine but I like understanding and considering them. If I thought you were going extreme I’d let you know at that time how I felt and discuss it. There is a lot of gray in politics. Thats why its called politics. Not all things are black and white. It’s a serious game and we all have to learn how to play within its rules.

I am sorry to say I never considered you far right to begin with. I don’t know enough about your positions to be able to make a determination. I can tell you how I personally perceive your positions when they become known to me.

Right now I feel you are just as disillusioned as we all seem to be by the Democrats winning the Presidency and both houses of Congress. That is a danger to our value system. The weak economy could be our saviour in the sense they can’t afford to do the extreme damage they thought they would. It has moved Obama straight to the center already and Pelosi and Reed don’t matter as long as he is there. That’s only good thru his first term if he gets reelected he’ll do what he wants.

I can’t express how disappointed I am that we did not nominate a real conservative for the top of the ticket. It firms up my resolve to make sure starting in 2010 our candidate are conservative. Believe me that will take alot of work on our part. We had better start now to make our voices heard.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 6:52 PM

AprilOrit on December 30, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Geez, I don’t know how we get so far off track with each other, but that’s a good post AprilOrbit. You’re beliefs are not much different from mine.

I still admit to strong feelings about what the man said while my unit was actually deployed, but I’m not out calling for every soldier I know to mutiny. I simply choose to retire and not serve under him. The topic comes up from young soldiers and NCOs in my unit about what I think and I hold back. That does not insulate you from the opinion of others that you work with though. My comments above were observations in general about what the majority of peple here think about him.

All that aside, I am seriously looking for “sames” not “differences” from those of us that think the country is headed in the wrong direction now. I’m a Conservative Republican but I’m working with Libertarians and Independents in some small projects to iron stuff out. I will talk and work with anyone to build those alliances.

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 6:55 PM

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Er, I agree.

I am just going to close by saying it ended up being a pleasure with you both AprilOrbit and kanda, and I’ll just remind myself that blogs are not the best forum trying to divine intent about what someone is saying.

I really do look forward to reading what you guys believe we can do.

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Good deal!

AprilOrit on December 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM

To Kanda re 8:19 AM and 9:46 AM 12/30 posts: Perhaps I was cranky this morning. I had to go to work, taking a trrain into Manhattan. A ski slope would have been vastly preferable. But no such luck. So I launched a missive reflecting my distaste for Obama and belief that in the political wilderness, the GOP must use this time productively.

Phil Byler on December 30, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Phil Byler on December 30, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Gosh Phil I tookthe subway so many times from Penn station to WTC I love that place. I used to work at 1 Liberty and 2 Penn Plaza. I know what happened and I forgive you for being a little cranky. I’ve been known to feel like that way from time to time myself. Great knowing things are better tonight.
I agree we need to work on restoring our party to greatness.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 7:09 PM

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Great! remember what I told you before about how I feel about you and the others protecting America. You folks are the best we ever had and we are proud of all of you.

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 7:17 PM

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Ditto for me.

AprilOrit on December 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM

kanda on December 30, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Ditto for me.

AprilOrit on December 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM

And thanks for paying your taxes. It’s not a bad living.

(wink)

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 8:21 PM

hawkdriver on December 30, 2008 at 6:55 PM

I am a cancer survivor, believe me a near-death experience will snap you out of the sour grapes – blame everybody – nasty pettiness real fast.

Once it happens – you get it – you see things quite differently. That’s been my personal experience and that makes me react the way I do.

AprilOrit on December 31, 2008 at 12:21 AM