Credit where it’s due

posted at 10:55 am on December 27, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama took an hour out of his Christmas in Hawaii to visit Marines at Kaneche Bay.  ABC’s Sunlen Miller makes it sound as though Obama got an unenthusiastic reception:

As Obama entered the room it was absent of the regular fanfare of cheering and clapping. The diners were polite; staying seated at their respective tables and waited for the President-elect to come to them to stand up.

Obama, dressed casually in a blue polo shirt and dark khaki trousers, worked his way around the room – table by table – and took pictures with the service members. He slapped them on the back at times, shook hands, and signed some autographs.

“Hey guys, Merry Christmas,” The President-elect said as he walked from table to table.

In fairness, he walked it while the Marines had already begun eating their holiday meal.  That may have accounted for the lack of applause and cheers on entering the room.  Obama probably surprised them as well with his visit.

I’m sure some will make hay out of the supposedly lukewarm reception Obama received, but I won’t be one of them.  Obama took the time to visit our men and women serving their country on the holiday, something he could have easily skipped since he’s not yet their Commander in Chief and technically no longer a member of the Senate, either.  He didn’t make a big deal out of it, either.  Obama will give us plenty to criticize in the next few years, and hopefully a few things to cheer as well.  Visiting the troops is cause for the latter.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I’m done with you, I have no desire to get into a name calling fight with faux-conservatives tonite. Go have a talk with april about how superior you are.

peacenprosperity on December 28, 2008 at 12:08 AM

I thikn we’re all drunk.

DarkCurrent on December 28, 2008 at 12:20 AM

long_cat on December 28, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Thank you for that This was posted earlier but I thought I would repost as a reminder for comparison.

canditaylor68 on December 28, 2008 at 12:27 AM

I thikn we’re all drunk.

DarkCurrent on December 28, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Not me, I just celebrated my anniversary clean and sober – 14 years.

AprilOrit on December 28, 2008 at 12:41 AM

canditaylor68 on December 28, 2008 at 12:27 AM

I’m in China and innocently clicked your damn link.

Not only did I click your link, I look just like the bald head guy at the beginning. Thanks to you I could be dead tomorrow if I don’t lock my door and sleep face into the pillow.

That said: USA! USA! USA!

DarkCurrent on December 28, 2008 at 12:44 AM

I seem to remember our current president traveling in secret to a war zone to serve the troops their Thanksgiving dinner. He got a standing ovation.

My sentiments exactly. You salute the office, but the man however cool he is proclaimed to be by the MSM has yet to get that in the military mess halls. I am not sure the cool one gets it yet or more likely, he will just say f’em to them for not understanding his cooolness. He needs to go off camera and share a pack of Cools with the Marines to get that respect, base by base.

Sergei on December 28, 2008 at 1:49 AM

This is the article about that sneak out visit…never found vid of it, though I recall it seeing it on TV, picking up my jaw for that bold move, and a month or so later, the interview with Laura Bush about it.

ProudPalinFan on December 28, 2008 at 2:18 AM

I’d like to agree with you, Ed, but after the crappy treatment and horrendous disregard our brave warriors have received from him, I’ll wait for some one of the other thing to cheer before I get all excited over him visiting troops for photo ops.

fireweednectar on December 28, 2008 at 4:22 AM

Tom_Shipley
“As Ed correctly points out, we don’t know the exact circumstances of how he entered”

Do we know that he did in fact enter the room?

If yes, then how he entered the room is moot.

The 1st person who saw or recognized the PEOB should have called out

“Attention on Deck”

All persons would then need to pop tall, at attention.

DSchoen on December 28, 2008 at 5:18 AM

Dumb us down Ed, dumb us down.

Jed1899 on December 28, 2008 at 6:00 AM

Our members of the military have sworn an oath to Protect and Defend all enemies foreign and domestic. And they do so on a daily basis by putting their lives on the line. I think this gives them the right to do as they damn well please when it comes to reacting to the Commander in Chief to be! He ain’t the King who shall order the lopping off of heads if proper deferance isn’t shown and these kids know a loser when they see one!

sabbott on December 28, 2008 at 6:25 AM

Dschoen I would love to know what post The Affirmative Action Hero now holds. Despite what the media says, PEOTUS does NOT have a rank.

The one, two, three, four or five stars involved are in the eyes of his cult followers and the media.

I think he deserves the reception suitable for similar warriors, like, say, Captain Kirk or Piccard. A lot of his backers would agree to that, too!

IlikedAUH2O on December 28, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Obama is a man who wants to make up to the troops now that he is about to become CinC. The troops will cheer him when they get to know him better if he earns their respect. I think he will. Marines are not easily taken in by politicians. The politicians must prove themselves wothy first. My girl Hillary says Obama is a-okay with her. Thats good enough for me. Lets give Barack a chance to prove he is worthy before kicking him for trying.

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 7:33 AM

The title of this offering by Ed is “Credit where it’s due.” Ed’s argument is that Obama deserves credit for visiting the Marines, who did give Obama a chilly reception. Sorry, Ed, but I don’t think “credit is due” Obama on this one. “Credit where it’s due” belongs to the Marines. They are the ones whose lives reflect honor and courage. They are the ones whose values reflect character and country first. Obama’s life and values do not reflect those virtues.

Let me put this in a personal way. My older son is a U.S. Army Captain (on second tour in Iraq), and my younger son is a U.S. Marines Lieutenant. They are part of America’s finest that I know deserve the credit and deserve all the respect and honor the country can bestow on them. I am sure my sons would be polite to Obama. But don’t tell me that wuss, pretty boy Obama deserves credit ever for walking up and saying hi to any of our nation’s best. Big deal. The credit always belongs to our military men and women.

Phil Byler on December 28, 2008 at 7:34 AM

Don’t be so easily mislead by this bit of role-playing. He’s a ruthless politico and will do whatever is necessary to pacify and subdue the masses. I laud your sense of fairness but this incident changes nothing.

rplat on December 28, 2008 at 7:43 AM

(had to stretch a bit there).

Jaibones on December 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM

I’d say you broke the plane. Tip of the ball, but it counts.

soundingboard on December 28, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM

One. McCain’s clearly talking about Clinton, not the troops.
Two. Unlike Obama’s flippancy about “air raiding villages”, McCain’s statement happened to be true.

soundingboard on December 28, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Two sentences jumped out from this article:
Reporting from Kailua, Hawaii:

“OK, guys,” Obama said, recognizing the photographers snapping pictures. “Come on. . . . How many shots do you need?”

Their Christmas did not include attending church. “The president-elect didn’t want to disrupt a church community on Christmas with the burdens that come with a presidential visit,”

Visiting the troops …how many visits do you think ‘President Obmabi’ will make to the troops after he cuts the Pentagon budget ?
Chosing a church to attend …What’s Obama waiting for one that promises photo ops during services or one that promises campaign volunteers and donations ?

philly_PA on December 28, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Not me, I just celebrated my anniversary clean and sober – 14 years.

AprilOrit on December 28, 2008 at 12:41 AM

fraud

JiangxiDad on December 28, 2008 at 9:13 AM

philly_PA on December 28, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Obama will likely visit the troops often, like most CinC liberal or conservative do in a time of war.

As for the church, many people do not attend church at Christmas time. Assuming the worst of Obama is exactly the same thing we complained about people doing to President Bush for the last 8 years.

But I suppose you think that, “well he started it!” is a reasonable way for grownups to act.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 9:18 AM

One most surely admire the One for taking an hour out of his “family time” to visit the troops. Such devotion to the fine men and women who serve this great nation.

If you want to know what one does who really cares about the troops one must look only as far as Bob Hope.

From WWII to Desert Shield/Storm, Bob Hope spent his Christmas entertaining the troops in combat zones.

That’s devotion to the troops. Placing ones self in harm’s way trying to bring a little cheer to the troops.

Thanks for the memories Bob.

Spiff sends regards

MSG, USA(RET)
1978 – 2001

SPIFF1669 on December 28, 2008 at 9:18 AM

SPIFF1669 on December 28, 2008 at 9:18 AM

That is true, he will be missed.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 9:23 AM

I imagine Nancy, Reid, BO will cut the military significantly and this will probably be a diaster. It always seems when we are weakened we make great targets. We were not prepared in WWl and for that matter WW2. Some people think if you are the only ones that disarm that will create world peace. I don’t rememeber a time in world history except back in the days of Romana Pax that there was anything close to world peace. Most in the military see Obama as cutting back our forces when we should not.

garydt on December 28, 2008 at 9:54 AM

garydt on December 28, 2008 at 9:54 AM

The pentagon needs an audit like noone else. Both McCain and BO were going to do it. A responsible president should do it.

They are not going to cut the operational budget in a time of war.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Obama might want to work on backing out of some statements he made for starters. He had a golden opportunity to do that. It was a cheap shot in the stuff he said when our men and women are over there taking every precaution to NOT kill civilians in some cases getting themselves killed in the process or having an enemy hide among civilians knowing we won’t engage that.

johnnyU on December 28, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Obama is profoundly ignorant of all things military, so I view his comment as leftist political rhetoric, not a military tactics critique.

At least your honest, and you seem to get that Obama and McCain are making the same point. You just don’t like Obama, so you believe he’s slamming the troops, not talking about military strategy. That’s your right, I guess. It’s much more fun acknowledge reality… you’re this close too!

Tom_Shipley on December 28, 2008 at 10:06 AM

They are constantly audited by the Service audit agencies and the GAO. Their programs are now and always have been totally transparent to the congress — and for the most part, to the public.

rplat on December 28, 2008 at 10:20 AM

rplat on December 28, 2008 at 10:20 AM

And the GAO is not effective. I can tell you right now there are hundreds of programs that need a thorough scrubbing, it is wasteful and wholly against conservative principles.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Ditto, ive known a few academy types who I would like to throw back.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 12:05 AM

Ringknockers?

soundingboard on December 28, 2008 at 10:40 AM

If Obama wanted to honor the troops who have given their all for him and really protected him for the last few years, he should have stopped by the NYT Christmas Party.

There at least he would be greeted the way the real CIC is greeted when he visits those who protect real Americans.

drunyan8315 on December 28, 2008 at 10:56 AM

My youngest was talking to Army recruiters until a few days ago.

I told them that when America elects a real Commander in Chief, we’ll reconsider whether she should enlist or not.

I do not want my daughter in danger anywhere because we have such a country-hater as Obama in office.

And Ed, you are just plain wrong. The troops never hesitated to stand up and cheer for Mr. Bush. You can say whatever you want about him and his policies, but he loved the troops, they knew it, and they loved him back. This from my son who is now almost completely discharged from the army and two tours in Iraq.

Mommynator on December 28, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Sorry but I just can’t work up that much enthusiasm for the PEBO’s big effort to visit the troops who risk their lives to keep his backside safe. La-ti-dah, he was on vacation and an hour or so interferred with nothing but another visit to the gym. BFD.

katiejane on December 28, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Jailbones responded saying that he thinks your point meets his criteria. His point to give. If you read my past posts, I know full well what Sen.Obama ‘meant’ with his statement, but it was said so poorly that those who wish to, can take it as an example of his feelings towards the military. You would have to make a willful attempt to do the same with Sen.McCain’s statement since he mentions the Presidential tactics in his quote. Sen.Obama does not. His statement had some truth to it (as the MSM stepped on itself to report breathlessly following this comment), but take his message for what he actually ‘meant’. Google coalition forces actions in Afghanistan during the latter part of 2007 into 2008. There was plenty of action besides ‘just air raiding villages and bombing civilians’. Sen.Obama’s statement does show his lack of understanding of the situation at that time in Afghanistan. Maybe if he had called his Senate committee to a meeting or visited the Senate floor instead of campaigning, he might have had a little clue about how insipid his statement was. Not that he would ever admit it….

dish on December 28, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Dish, give it up, dude….

Tom_Shipley on December 28, 2008 at 11:19 AM

….Ummm, ah, well, umm, like, then, ummm, ahhh, totally if you ahhh say so dude…

dish on December 28, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Everyone else, Tom_Shipley has spoken. Any further debate regarding this quote is now officially closed.

dish on December 28, 2008 at 11:30 AM

It was closed when Jaibones kind of acknowledged I was right. And it was over when you say you know what he “meant” (which presumedly is that same thing that McCain “meant”), then go on to attack Obama for what he actually “meant” — which is that the US is ONLY conducting airstrikes in Afghanastan. Any reasonable person knows Obama doesn’t think that. Yet, you twist his words to make yourself believe he does.

I don’t debate people who contradict themselves within the space of a few sentences ad I don’t debate people who are willfully ignorant.

Tom_Shipley on December 28, 2008 at 11:38 AM

But, but, (or is it butt, butt)

“give it up, dude.”
Tom_Shipley on December 28, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Well? Which is it so I can let everyone else know?

dish on December 28, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Not me, I just celebrated my anniversary clean and sober – 14 years.

AprilOrit on December 28, 2008 at 12:41 AM
fraud

JiangxiDad on December 28, 2008 at 9:13 AM

And again who says I am a fraud – you??

Most of these commenters buried in these threads could stand a good Big Book read or perhaps a Steps Meeting between them, or maybe just Beginners – lots of drunks here obviously.

F A I L U R E =
Fearful, Arrogant, Insecure, Lonely, Uncertain, Resentful, Empty.

G O D = Good Orderly Direction

E G O = Easing God Out

A C T I O N = Any Change Toward Improving One’s Nature.

S O B E R = Spiritually On Beam; Everything’s Right

H A L T = Hope, Acceptance, Love, Tolerance

C A R E = Comforting And Reassuring Each other

AprilOrit on December 28, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Obama tries to gain some reflected glory from his betters.

Meh.

profitsbeard on December 28, 2008 at 12:01 PM

In the Age of Obama, my cynicism won’t allow warm and fuzzies for a guy who addresses our brave soldiers by saying: “Hey guys…Merry Christmas”. He was thinking: ‘Hey you moronic thugs trapped in the military, you took time from your racist thoughts, Bible thumping and gun toting to get some grub? I am impressed.’
The only thing that Barry’s done and said that’s impressed me so far was that he bought the mutts at the shelter and then admitted that he’s a mutt. Somebody better read him the memo.

Christine on December 28, 2008 at 12:28 PM

That is how I would like to be addressed, like a regular person because that is what all servicemen are and to give them a simple greeting on Christmas is good. Your inference shows that you have the same disease (in reverse of course) that the left has had for the last 8 years. ODS.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 12:35 PM

So, April, has AA started a recruiting arm and put you in charge of it? And rescinded the traditional distaste for taking other people’s inventories?

But, hey, thanks for sharing . . .

califcon on December 28, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Good post Ed.

Could use more positive posts in the new year.

Thanks.

getalife on December 28, 2008 at 1:00 PM

EGO is Edging God Out. Remember, your needs go ahead God’s.

ProudPalinFan on December 28, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Good post Ed.Could use more positive posts in the new year.
Thanks. getalife on December 28, 2008 at 1:00 PM

He didn’t do it for you, Democrat. hE DID IT FOR HIMSELF

A few more posts

Basilsbest on December 28, 2008 at 1:24 PM

…as I was saying before my keyboard got a mind of its own.

A few more posts like this and I will safely announce that Morrissey has Obama Arrangement Syndrome.

Basilsbest on December 28, 2008 at 1:27 PM

He spent a WHOLE HOUR with the Marines! WOW. Yes indeed let’s give him credit Ed.

angryed on December 28, 2008 at 1:51 PM

My youngest was talking to Army recruiters until a few days ago.

Mommynator on December 28, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I have two thoughts on what you wrote. First, if your daughter is mature enough to consider joining the military it should be her decion period. I find it sad that YOU found it necessary to tell off the recruiters because you don’t like the election results. Is it the recruiters fault? Why diss them for it? People who take their frustration out on the military for things like election results need to rethink their motives. Do you feel better making those recruiters feel bad? What if your son was a recruiter. Would you want others to do that to him? Like it or not we all must live with this election result. Remember those poor unfortunate Marines who served under Clintoon (not mispelled)? He treated the Marines at the Whitehouse very poorly. At least Obama is trying to show them some respect. The least we can do is give him a fair chance to do it without making unjust comparisons.

Second point I want to make is that I’m sure the Marines, who are very mature did not intend to slight the president-elect like you make it out to be. They simply did not want to offend him. Lets agree to disagree if necessary that an unannounced visit to the Marine dinner probably caught them by surprise. To start cheering wildly could have been embarassing to their commanders or may have looked unprofessional to their new CinC. To read more into it than that is pure conjecture.

Finally, Thank your son for his service to our nation. It is men like him who are the real patriots.

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 1:52 PM

That’s “Precedent-Elect”. We need to call him what he is.

progressoverpeace on December 28, 2008 at 2:09 PM

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 1:52 PM

My son was itching to be able to talk to them about it, having lived with the contract and the commitment.

We had discussed this before. Our daughter is 18. She decided she didn’t want to go. She told the recruiters in no uncertain terms, but because she’s 18, they thought they could intimidate her into it. Yes, there are recruiters out there like that.

Our daughter is part of us whether people like to think of that or not. We’re still her parents, here to advise her because we’ve had more life experience. If, in four years after she’s finished with whatever schooling she wants to have, she decides to join and there is a different CinC (hopefully Palin or Jindal or one of their type), then we will have nothing to say except our prayers.

Part of the reason for advising against enlistment was that having a weak CinC in charge of our military is putting all our men and women more in danger, no matter which service. We had enough of a knot in our hearts for FIVE YEARS with our son, and Bush was a good CinC.

And obviously, maybe you don’t know enough about the military mind to understand the “dis”, but dis it was within the limits of what they could do. Just because they didn’t collectively pick up their plates and throw them doesn’t mean that an opinion was not stated.

Mommynator on December 28, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Mommynator on December 28, 2008 at 2:15 PM

When I was in the Marines from 64 to 73 we hated President Johnson for tying our hands to fight in Vietnam after he sent us there. We did however respect him when he visited us. We didn’t cheer by the way. Not for him. Not ever. We loved President Nixon because he was going to end the war. Well Nixon finaly did after 6 more years of American deaths. I think I have a good perspective on the military mind. It is cautious and reserved. It never does stupid things. You can use common sense to understand…what if you had your new boss visit your work facility. Would you diss him in public? I didn’t think so.

I don’t fault you for trying to run your daughters life and make decisions for her. Its hard to give up being a parent and becoming a trusted friend and advisor. I understand that. What will you do if in 4 years Obama is re-elected and she wants to join Anyway? You gonna tell the recruiter off again?

The issue I see is you involving yourself with the recruiter directly as you wrote in your previous post. If your daughter can’t handle them without you intervening it says maybe she is too immature for the military at this time. Thats fine. Maybe she’ll be better prepared if she talks to them in the future. That is for her to decide IMHO.

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Obee Wan is getting ticked at the media. LOL. They are half the wau he got in office. Whats he think he’s gonna run around and no one will know whats he’s doing? HAR!

johnnyU on December 28, 2008 at 2:46 PM

I remain singularly unimpressed.

Alana on December 28, 2008 at 2:52 PM

But, hey, thanks for sharing . . .

califcon on December 28, 2008 at 12:35 PM

There is a difference between taking people’s inventories and defending one’s self against a bunch of stormy tonys who cannot accept that fact that Obama will be our next CIC.

I am allowed to defend myself, it’s called gaining self-esteem from emotional sobriety.

AprilOrit on December 28, 2008 at 3:08 PM

emotional sobriety

AprilOrit on December 28, 2008 at 3:08 PM
Isn’t that what the MSM (ex: Chris Matthews) showed throughout the entire campaign?

Just askin’.

/sarc off

kingsjester on December 28, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Not me, I just celebrated my anniversary clean and sober – 14 years.

AprilOrit on December 28, 2008 at 12:41 AM

That is Outstanding!! Keep it up for another 14 and beyond.

Congratulations for setting such a fine example for others!

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 3:16 PM

That is Outstanding!! Keep it up for another 14 and beyond.

Congratulations for setting such a fine example for others!

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Thank you.

AprilOrit on December 28, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Just askin’.

/sarc off

kingsjester on December 28, 2008 at 3:15 PM

So now we have gone from dissing BO to Bill W?

Sad.

AprilOrit on December 28, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Shipley:

You need to go back and read my post at the top of page 3.

q2600 on December 28, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Particularly when the incoming administration is filled with domestic enemies starting with the bastard who is about to take over the Presidency. The filthy traitor’s position are just this side of working against all those troops have sworn to protect.

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 5:11 PM

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Ummmm….Look at the bitterness you display. I can’t help but wonder if you aren’t a secret Obama supporter. ;)

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM

He spent an hour of his what… 1o day or so vacation visiting the troops. I sure hope he supports them more than that once he is in office.

Kingbee on December 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 12:35 PM

So are you suggesting that those non-deployed Marines were thrilled to death that a poser like Obama showed up during their holiday meal after years of suggesting that they kill the innocent and are no better than terrorists?

Sorry, it is a tough sell to equate criticism of this clear PR stunt with BODS (let’s not use ODS since that confuses a military-hating traitor like Obama with Gulf War military operations). We both know this was nothing more than a bunch of liberals, who know the military isn’t supportive of the filthy bastard about to take office, attempting to give the impression that the military LOVES Obama with the same zeal they supported GWB. This is more akin to the POW look whenever the troops were forced to line up behind Clinton as he announced yet another national security “initative” that made the world less safe.

Put simply, those “stateside” Marines were entitled to eat their meal in peace without a filthy military-hating bastard like Obama dropping in with the press in tow. The bastard could come alone or he could have taken the time to go over to Iraq or Afghanistan and show some real support to the military.

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM

You think this is bitterness? Just wait until after Jan 20th! And for the record, this isn’t some sort of love-hate thing with the filthy Chicago bastard about to take office. It’s a desire to see America remain that “shining light” while fearing that we are about to see a reprise of the Carter administration with enough Clinton-era appointees to ensure that at least another 3,000 Americans will be incinerated due to bad stewardship and a complete incomprehension about the threat posed by Islamic radicals.

If you wnat to call that bitterness, so be it. I consider myself the vocal opposition to all the evil that is about to be ushered into power.

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 5:29 PM

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 5:29 PM

The real evil…

snark on your logg on… :)

AprilOrit on December 28, 2008 at 5:35 PM

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Ahha! I notice you never denied being a secret Obama supporter.

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 12:35 PM

I have a feeling you ain’t seen NOTHING yet, this is a whole new ball game. More then half of America has legitimate claims against Barry, possible more then half (thx 2 acorn)Barry has family ties to radical muslims,lied about his parents,his past,his association with Rezko, at last count Barry has over 100 lies. Can they find (1) from President Bush?
As I said a WHOLE NEW GAME!

christene on December 28, 2008 at 5:46 PM

As I said a WHOLE NEW GAME!

christene on December 28, 2008 at 5:46 PM

I just popped in on this one. Christene is on the mark. We have never had such a flawed man become POTUS.

My son has five years in the USMC with four more to go. The thought that he is at the mercy of a Chicago thug and marxist makes me want to puke.

JonRoss on December 28, 2008 at 5:58 PM

For

Mommynator on December 28, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Does this look like a diss to you?

December 28 2008
HONOLULU (AP) – President-elect Barack Obama has again made the trip to a Marine Corps base near his vacation home for an hourlong morning workout.

Obama and his friends from Chicago – Eric Whitaker and Martin Nesbitt – went to the Semper Fit gym on Marine Corps Base Hawaii’s compound Sunday morning. The president-elect didn’t speak to reporters but made small talk with folks who gathered by the road inside the secure base.

Marines and others on the secure base gathered on a traffic island waiting for a glimpse of Obama.
Afterwards, Obama asked the visitors how they were doing and offered a drawn out “al-ohhh-ha.” The group applauded.

Obama and his family are spending 12 days in Obama’s native state. The Obamas are trying to keep a low profile on the trip but Obama is receiving national security briefings. He has no public schedule through the New Year.

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Ahha! I notice you never denied being a secret Obama supporter.

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM

LOL! My views about the filthy Chicago politician about to become POTUS are well documented and less than complimentary. The only individuals I hold in higher contempt these days are the bastards who (before the primaries were over) screamed that we had to support John McCain because he was the only electable candidate.

To be more specific. Everybody likes the idea of an Obama. A non-white male taking office. As such they ignore some important points like the fact that Obama isn’t black- he’s multi-racial. His background, including all those Muslim ties, is still a mystery. The atrocity set to take place on Jan 20th is NOT a fulfillment of MLK’s “I have a Dream” speech. None of that matters in the current narrative but it will very soon.

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 6:20 PM

As I said a WHOLE NEW GAME!

christene on December 28, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Last time I checked, most elections lead to about half or close to it of americans with “legitimate” claims against Obama.

Please provide real evidence of massive voter fraud in the 2008 election (notice I said voter fraud not registration fraud). We got our butts whupped, it would not have been better if Palin was “unleashed” it would have not been better if we had a “real” conservative. Step into the real world and understand that and then we can figure otu how to win in 2012.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 6:22 PM

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Than he wont even be the first bi-racial candidate, we got to have that first too, Warren G. Harding.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 6:24 PM

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Thank you for posting this, Obama has been working out on the military gyms the entire time he has been there, a friend of mine called me at work and told me that he saw Obama working out in the non=peak hours. He was given a polite and enthusiastic reception considering the time of day and the holiday hours.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Most elections end with half the people involved with legitimate claims against Obama? I don’t like the guy at all, but even I can’t buy into that!

As for voter fraud–whom do you suppose were being registered? The idea that fraudulent registration is unrelated to fraudulent voting is nonsense.

q2600 on December 28, 2008 at 6:30 PM

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Ha Ha thats twice today I agree with you about something. I love John McCain. He is a genuine war hero. He never was a good candidate but that only shows how bad the Republican pickings were this year. Those who rushed to support him were only fooling themselves. The Dems could have run…..ummmm Caroline Kennedy and won.

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 6:35 PM

q2600 on December 28, 2008 at 6:30 PM

My point was that most elections end with a big hunk of the population not voting for the guy that one. By that reasoning, more than half the country had a “lgitimate” claim against Bush in 2000.

As for voter fraud, many of the fraudulent registrations were by the same person registering multiple times, with no proof that he actually voted,it is just a fantasy to make people feel better about getting our ass kicked in an election.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Ed — are you kidding me? The muted response to Obama was because they were eating? Can you imagine if W walked into the room?

You’re delusional — too much eggnog.

D2Boston on December 28, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 6:22 PM

This evidence has been requested – along with the proof that he wasn’t born in the US, no evidence has ever come forth and it won’t because there is none.

We got our asses kicked, deal with it and move on to winning in 2012.

AprilOrit on December 28, 2008 at 6:46 PM

My niece is in the Navy. She said almost everyone voted for McCain. So I can see where combat troops view Obama with caution. I am worried about my niece because she is shipping out to Iraq or Afghanistan in Feb.

Sweetness0726 on December 28, 2008 at 6:50 PM

I luv ya Ed, you’re a great, great American, but I just ain’t feelin’ warm and fuzzy in the least about this Obama visit after what he’s said about the military, the Iraq War, and his plans for the military.

NO SALE!

BobUSMC on December 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 6:28 PM

You are very welcome. It is indeed refreshing to see that our Marines actually respect the incoming CinC. I expect nothing less from them. It is part of their honor code. His politics don’t matter to them. Marines are on the tip of the spear and he’s the boss. When Obama calls, they will answer willingly and with enthusiasm. Maybe they are old fashioned but principles and values matter to the Marines. Others may whine and complain but then they are not Marines. These young men and women Marines make me most proud.

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM

True PEOTUS does not “currently” have rank, however for the troops, the rule of thumb is “don’t be stupid” “use your commonsense”

From “The Blue Jackets Manual”

Courtesies

Why?

Military Courtesy is a traditional form of politeness in the profession of arms.
By its very nature, the life and discipline of the service is formal, so too is its form of courtesy.

The Salute

Whom, All commissioned/warrant officers of US Services and foreign services
General Order number 10
MIDN Officers at designated training commands
Anyone who salutes you
When in doubt

“When in doubt” as in “oh $hit now what do I do”. Like when the PEOTUS enters the room.

Greetings
Who, Everyone

When, In or out of uniform
When, they are less than 6-10 paces away from you
While saluting

Use common sense!
That is proper military courtesy and due respect

When a senior officer enters a room: (same with civilians VIPs like POTUS, VPOTUS. True PEOTUS does not currently have rank however there is no doubt PEOTUS will be POTUS in a few days. The election is over)

First person to see the senior officer (O-5 plus) calls “Attention on Deck”.

Entire room comes to position of attention.

Conclusion

You represent us and the Navy. Don’t be an embarrassment.

Now for the BS of this story.

There is no frigging way in hell Obama was “just wandering about the base”.

The SS would have arrived in the room long before Obama did.

The base, even if they don’t know who the VIP on board is there is no doubt a VIP is on board.

Base operations change, PMO will have streets blocked off. Areas will be “off limits”. It will be obvious to all that “something” is going on.

The Dinner. Considering some of the troops had their families with them, children and all, Having Obama show up un-announced would/could be a disaster.

Picture this, A Marine and their families are having dinner, lets say one of the kids is 4-5 years old,

Obama walks in, “Attention on Deck” is call out, The Marine stops whatever they are doing pops tall at attention and is suddenly silent.

This seen could possibly freak out a 4-5 year old child wouldn’t know what the flock is going on.

That would be a bad thing.

DSchoen on December 28, 2008 at 6:58 PM

DSchoen on December 28, 2008 at 6:58 PM

What’s a blue jackets manual? I know some of the Navy sailors are called blue jackets. Is it their manual? I can tell you that Marines don’t call out “attention on deck” in the mess hall. If they did you would have a real mess to clean up. I don’t recall ever seeing it happen on a Navy base either but maybe they would. The Navy can be petty (officer) sometimes you know. ;)

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 7:08 PM

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Mealtimes are specifically when attention on deck is not called. For obvious reasons.

The BJM is the basic guide for any enlisted sailor. Its compliment is the Naval Officers Guide (the NOG) edited by ADM Stavrides, one of the smartest officers I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 7:17 PM

He’s renting several multi-million dollar homes, but he doesn’t have access to gym equipment there?

Weird.

Y-not on December 28, 2008 at 7:25 PM

We got our asses kicked, deal with it and move on to winning in 2012.

AprilOrit on December 28, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Barry is fighting to keep his birth certificate under lock and key for a reason. I’m sure one day we will find out why and it wont be pretty.
As for the voter fraud, we all know plenty was going on, my bigger question is why no recount? No request from either side.

christene on December 28, 2008 at 7:30 PM

As Ed correctly points out, we don’t know the exact circumstances of how he entered. He may have just entered inconspicuously and started talking to people, not really creating an opportunity for soldiers to rise and cheer upon his entrance.

Regardless, you’re speaking for the troops there for political gain or purpose. That’s called using the troops. You don’t know what their opinion of Obama any more than you know any other group of strangers’ opinion of Obama.

What gives you the right to speak for these soldiers?

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Tom, I take it you have never been in the service. Unless things have changed dramatically, you have to show a “Chow Card” to enter the premises. After this check, you pass before a semi review board that inspects your uniform, (uniform of the day), are properly shaved, boots meet the standards, etc. Your not going to get into a mess hall in a non combat area without this. These are ranks or NCO’s,in charge of this and they will make sure that a room is called to attention for all dignitaries and Senior grade officers. The room is not called to attention for civilians. So since he is not a senator, and has yet to be sworn in, he is just a plain civilian. On the other hand, I have been at mess when family members of personnel were formally announced to the mess, but not requiring official response by the grunts. So if he got no recognition from the troops, they apparently didn’t give a damn who he was.

N4646W on December 28, 2008 at 7:35 PM

christene on December 28, 2008 at 7:30 PM

What would we recount? How would we know which ones to throw out?

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Recounts are more to verify tallies than to throw anything out.

q2600 on December 28, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Why would any military person be happy for a visit from the Fool?

He hate them.

That’s why he wants to develop his own Brownshirt militia.

Didn’t somebody else not as famous as he is do something similar?

Maybe Obama’s brownshirsts will turn out better.

notagool on December 28, 2008 at 7:57 PM

notagool on December 28, 2008 at 7:57 PM

I know plenty of military folks who voted for him and even some who didn’t that would be more than happy if he visited them. Obviously more so if he did it when he was CinC.

If the military is as ideological as you would like to think they are, than they would be a “Brownshirt militia” for the Right. But they are night, the military has alot of republicans, yes, but it is not ideologically monolithic and should not be. Teddy Roosevelt said the military is the great Democratizer, acting like a microcosm of the citizenry. The minute it ceases to be that, we fail.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Thats correct the military is typically non-political. How could they realistically be otherwise with the American people voting in different political parties periodically. Some people are either naive or foolish when thinking about our armed forces political views. Unlike China and the former USSR, military support does not put you in power the voters do.

kanda on December 28, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Obama used the troops and called them out negatively (“air raiding villages and killing civilians”) for his own political well-being. That is a grave insult and something unforgettable. Sure Obama went to visit, but he thought this would be a great photo-op. However the soldiers gave him a chilly reception and deservedly so.
Bush always held high regards for our service men and women when he first started running for president and ever since. I will never forget how he skipped visiting Landstuhl, Germany’s hospital for our American troops injured in war because the press could not enter. So he went to workout and go shopping. That showed me what kind of jerk we have as our next commander. Despicable.

jencab on December 28, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Ed,

You are very charitable to Obama. Having lived recently on MCBH for 2 1/2 years and being a life-long military family member (father, sister, cousins, and my husband), I can offer some inside perspective. A couple of things….

First, it’s KaneOhe Bay. Please correct the spelling error.

Second, the Marines are trained to honor rank. They will salute an officer’s CAR because of the Officer sticker on the windshield (blue as opposed to red), whether the active duty member or someone else is in the car. While Obama is not officially the CinC, he is still the next in line. You can’t get any higher than him. The Marines were told how to address him and did so respectfully when he approached their table. Having eaten in that dining hall (they allow family members to come in once a year on the MC Bday, otherwise it’s only for active duty members), they knew he was there and knew he was coming. It’s foolish to think they didn’t know. Dignitaries visit the base and EVERYONE knows when someone like that is coming and has arrived. The roads are closed off and it’s a pain in the butt to get anywhere, because you can’t until they leave.

To think that their eating has anything to do with their actions (or lack of) is naive and ill-informed. This is a chow hall. It’s not like everyone waits for all to be served to start eating. They get their food, find a table, and start eating.

Like most in the military, I am deeply skeptical of Obama. I base this on his foreign policy positions, statements regarding the military, and votes. I do not speak for all, obviously, but many in the military community have these reservations about Obama. And yes, those of us serving IN the military or having served have a different perspective than those that aren’t.

Finally, you have to know a little about the Hawaiian culture and the lay of the land on Oahu. To be sure, Obama is staying in THE most expensive area on the Windward side (Honolulu is on the other side of the island, the Ko’olau mountains separate the two). His “compound” is literally 5 minutes from the back gate of the Base. The enlisted housing is on the same bay as Obama’s, and they could probably see each other’s backyard with some binoculars.

I am surprised to hear that he’s working out at Semper Fit, the gym on MCBH. If he’s been working out there since his arrival, it’s interesting that we are only finding out about this today, especially after his cool reception on Christmas Day. Call me skeptical, but why is the media “reporting” that he had a warmer welcome after his workout?

Anyway, those are facts. While people will criticize us for criticizing Obama, let’s call a spade a spade. He got a cool reception from the Marines for a reason. One he earned himself.

conservative pilgrim on December 28, 2008 at 8:41 PM

highhopes on December 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Yes, that is exactly what he is and it is exactly why he doesn’t want his BC shown.

What is he, exactly? A bastard – a good solid legal term that still has value in certain situations. Such as when heritage and citizenship are conditions of qualification for holding office.

This all will fall on Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Roberts. He is the one who will administer the oath of office for POTUS. He should not administer the oath to anyone he does not know to be qualified to swear an oath.

In my constitutional mind, that means it is up to Roberts to vet this guy (who certainly acts like he has something to hide).

Burden of proof is on Obambi to demonstrate that he has the qualifications to take the oath.

Let’s see what happens on January 20. Let’s see who assumes facts not ever proved.

Or maybe we’ll see Roberts refuse on national TV. Could I keep from spraying coffee on my keyboard and monitor if he did that?

Not likely.

OT – how can someone use a fake name on a ballot for US Senator? I refer to that Democrap in Minnesota.

platypus on December 28, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Hey,

I didn’t know Condi Rice believed in a Hyphenated America. That explains a lot. Obama is a symbol or something….You know what plain old American is good enough for me…NO qualifiers.

Dr Evil on December 28, 2008 at 8:53 PM

platypus on December 28, 2008 at 8:43 PM

You ought to bottle those sour grapes….make some good Truther Juice. You are hilarious. You guys are so desparate for this man not to be sworn in.

Dr Evil on December 28, 2008 at 8:53 PM

You know what? Plain old American is good enough for most of us but not all of us…we still have some flaming a**holes walking around judging people on the color of their skin – unfortunately.

Amazing isn’t it – in 2008?

AprilOrit on December 29, 2008 at 12:22 AM

…he walked it while the Marines had already begun eating their holiday meal. That may have accounted for the lack of applause and cheers on entering the room.

Um…okay.

labrat on December 29, 2008 at 4:25 AM

Community organizers excite every room they enter.

IlikedAUH2O on December 29, 2008 at 7:25 AM