Credit where it’s due

posted at 10:55 am on December 27, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama took an hour out of his Christmas in Hawaii to visit Marines at Kaneche Bay.  ABC’s Sunlen Miller makes it sound as though Obama got an unenthusiastic reception:

As Obama entered the room it was absent of the regular fanfare of cheering and clapping. The diners were polite; staying seated at their respective tables and waited for the President-elect to come to them to stand up.

Obama, dressed casually in a blue polo shirt and dark khaki trousers, worked his way around the room – table by table – and took pictures with the service members. He slapped them on the back at times, shook hands, and signed some autographs.

“Hey guys, Merry Christmas,” The President-elect said as he walked from table to table.

In fairness, he walked it while the Marines had already begun eating their holiday meal.  That may have accounted for the lack of applause and cheers on entering the room.  Obama probably surprised them as well with his visit.

I’m sure some will make hay out of the supposedly lukewarm reception Obama received, but I won’t be one of them.  Obama took the time to visit our men and women serving their country on the holiday, something he could have easily skipped since he’s not yet their Commander in Chief and technically no longer a member of the Senate, either.  He didn’t make a big deal out of it, either.  Obama will give us plenty to criticize in the next few years, and hopefully a few things to cheer as well.  Visiting the troops is cause for the latter.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I disagree Ed.
The soldiers know a hero when they see one. AND when they don’t.
This is one case where they didn’t. Your being very sweet to our affirmative action prez. But I don’t think you should abandon truth for sweetness.
They know what his policies would do to their mission. They know that he (and all dems) don’t hold them in any high regard.
They know that he is a coward and a dangerously naive one at that.
He strolls in in his lil blue polo shirt. This small little weasle who hasn’t done a damn thing in his entire life, but cuddle up to the very filth that the men and women in service cant stand. And in some cases fight against.

Save your sweetness for moments when its more appropriate.
Obama is a nothing. A small little man who walked into a room where everyone was sitting and STILL towered above him.
In CHARACTER.
As well as in spirit.

The room was full of people that are the essence of what this country IS.
Except for one child (in a blue polo shirt), who is the essence of those who stand opposed to them.
He should apologize to them for soiling their Christmas dinner.

Handel on December 27, 2008 at 5:25 PM

As a Veteran I agree with those who say, if the Marines had respected him, wouldn’t matter that they were chowin’ down; they would have stood up and cheered. They didn’t.

Shows they absolutely despise him.

ericdondero on December 27, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Here’s a problem I have with that way of thinking. A person in the military shouldn’t “despise” or “adore” any duly elected President of the US. The oath I took was to support and defend the Constitution, and that I would bear true faith and allegiance to the same. Not to any President of whatever party.

ddrintn on December 27, 2008 at 5:25 PM

You don’t know what their opinion of Obama any more than you know any other group of strangers’ opinion of Obama.
PDF poll/graphs HERE

He may have just entered inconspiculously and started talking to people, not really creating an opportunity for soldiers to rise and cheer upon his entrance.

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:17 AM
That’s funny!

JetBoy on December 27, 2008 at 11:23 AM

BWHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAAAAA!!!!!

ProudPalinFan on December 27, 2008 at 5:32 PM

I shall not harp on Obama’s shortcomings in that regard, but will wait to see what happens when he actually takes over the Oval Office.

That’s about right. I was in Somalia for Christmas 92 along with several hundred other Airman, Marines and Soldiers (Navy guys were always rare on the beach) when Bush visited us before Christmas Day. I don’t recall anyone demonstrating anything other than respect and a desire to shake his hand – I missed my chance when some Marine called his name just before he walked by. And I was a 40+ y.o. E9 and I was still disappointed I didn’t get to shake his hand.

I joined the military when Johnson was president and retired when Clinton was in office. I can truthfully say that most G.I.s appreciated Republican presidents a little more than Democrat ones mainly because Democrats administrations – usually apart from the president – treated the military rather shabbily and disrespectfully.

Regardless, this wasn’t any biggie; he did the appropriate thing.

How his administration treat the troops after 01/20 will be the real test; will he walk the talk??

E9RET on December 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM

What Sen.Obama said or meant wasn’t the point of my comment. The quote you used from Sen.McCain had NOTHING to do with disparaging the troops.

Obama was not disparaging the troops with his quote. Neither was McCain. They were both criticizing the fact that there were not enough troops in the region, which made us rely upon air strikes that undoubtedly kill civilians.

You’re being willfully ignorant if you think he was or if you think there’s any difference between what he and McCain said. They both criticized air strikes that killed civilians.

Now, I’d be curious to see it Jaibones checks back in here to see if he thinks the quote I provided fit the criteria he was looking for. Considering he never responded to it, I’m guessing it does.

Sorry, man. Not gonna play your game.

Tom, the “good” per Ed one, and I did believe that, until I saw your Grinch comment on the “Merry Christmas” thread – you were down right mean that day and it will take a long time to get back to that old collegial “just the opposition” state. I don’t mind you lefties at all. You are my raison d’être now. You’ll need 1000 years to convince me that what you believe in is good – I lived it for way too long, and unless you have, you can ‘dream’ and ‘wish’ all you want, along with your misguided coaches and ‘leaders’.

Boy, to quote another poster in that thread and Warren Oates… lighten up, Francis.

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM

What gives you the right to speak for these soldiers?

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:17 AM
The reports I’ve read indicate that active U.S. military members voted for John McCain over Obama by a rather substantial margin. I’d say that statistic speaks for itself as to how most of our soldiers feel about Obama.

AZCoyote on December 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Were those votes EVER counted?

ProudPalinFan on December 27, 2008 at 5:42 PM

“We’ve got to get the job done there and that requires us to have enough troops so that we’re not just air-raiding villages and killing civilians, which is causing enormous problems there,” Obama said.

Okay, here’s a “factcheck” for you: “just air-raiding villages and killing civilians” is a WAR CRIME. Particularly for those of us who are “troops” but not combat pilots; that leaves us with only “just… killing civilians.”
It doesn’t matter if Obama was voicing a disagreement with presidential policy; despite the liberal fantasy that the military wants unthinking robots, the Uniform Code of Military Justice not only adjures military personnel to obey all lawful orders–it also holds them legally responsible for follwing unlawful orders. So, in the quote above, Obama has definitively called the U. S. military presence in Afghanistan a bunch of murderers–whether he did so through malice, ignorance, or both.

Also, if you don’t know enough not to refer to U. S. Marines as “soldiers,” kindly exercise your right to free speech somewhere that Marines aren’t likely to show up. I’ve been in the National Guard for six years now, and I still don’t let people get away with calling me “soldier.”

Finally–and I certainly can’t give an official position on this–people in the military overwhelmingly dislike Obama. I have friends in the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines, stationed all over the world. Only one of them voted for Obama, and not because he agreed with Obama on any issues. In the final analysis, though, we dislike Obama for only three reasons: his foreign policy, his domestic policy, and his personality. Other than that, we think he’s just fine.

q2600 on December 27, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Thank you Ed for being one of the good guys, your type is hard to find these days.

It appears the GOP has been taken over by a bunch of old complaining bitter queens – yes, even the men – who are just so unhappy with everything pertaining to Obama and losing the election; thus the grasping at straws for a fake birth certificate or wishful thinkings that have never happened in the Blago mess.

It’s pathetic.

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 6:00 PM

My post above makes it sound as if I am currently serving in Afghanistan: to clarify, I am not.

q2600 on December 27, 2008 at 6:05 PM

This is one article about the big surprise visit he did to Iraq-the one I believe some are talking about here:

Still looking for video of that visit, as soon as I get it will post here.

ProudPalinFan on December 27, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Professor Blather on December 27, 2008 at 1:13 PM
No actually, you didn’t. You earned the right to speak for yourself. And you didn’t really “earn” that. It’s a birthright all Americans have. You chose to enter the military and you should be commended for that choice. You actually don’t have the right to speak for all soldiers everywhere because you are one. This should be obvious but you’re so busy looking for people to pat you on the back you make grandiose and over the top statements like that. Get it together.

DeathToMediaHacks on December 27, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Ruuuule #1: NEVER, I mean NEVER, talk, address or write like that to a man or a woman in uniform. Especially being a John or a Jane Doe.

ProudPalinFan on December 27, 2008 at 6:39 PM

This man who is about to step into the most powerful seat in the world is a virtual unknown. This man who we know nothing about…
I’m so very sorry. Perhaps if you read one of the fifty-odd biographies on Barack Obama listed on Amazon you might feel better informed?

Or perhpas if you had had a subscription to Time or Newsweek during the election? He was pretty much on the cover ever week. The library still has the copies, I suspect…

How can you possibly say “we hardly know anything about him”? There’s been more written about him than any candidate in the last two years; I dare say there are more books about him in print right now than Hillary or George Bush, let alone John McCain or Sarah Palin. Which college did she finally get her degree from, by the way? And what were her college transcripts like? There’s so much we don’t know about her…

Mal Carne on December 27, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Why oh why am I not surprised that an Obama thread to a HI visit turns suddenly into SPDS?

ProudPalinFan on December 27, 2008 at 6:47 PM

*Yawn* Because it’s always in the script?

Venusian Visitor on December 27, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Mal Carne..allow me to pop this balloon of yours..we know all those things about Sarah. If your research matched even the very low level of the idiot comments you write you would know that. You and your fellow worshippers of our pathetic affirmative action hero ought to try a fact review. Just one.

And where are his transcripts? I know he got a B in high school history. Anyone could crack Harvard Law School on a track record like that. With enough neo-American favoritism! Democrats hate merit.

IlikedAUH2O on December 27, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Ed, you never cease to amaze. What would have happened if Bush had walked in? You think they would have sat there because they were already eating? Either you overestimate your place in the media pecking order or the potential for going anywhere other then where you are. You certainly aren’t going to get anywhere kissing the butts of liberals. They have all the members of their propaganda club that they need, they already have kathleen parker and christopher buckley and see how much attention they pay to them now that the election is over. If that’s the case my original suspician that you aren’t at heart a conservative is true. Conservatives don’t take conservative positions only if they fit their own circumstances, they mold their lives to live by their conservative principles.

peacenprosperity on December 27, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Ed, you never cease to amaze … Either you overestimate your place in the media pecking order or the potential for going anywhere other then where you are… my original suspician that you aren’t at heart a conservative is true…
peacenprosperity on December 27, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Copy that, P&P. Target exposed & engaged. Missle lock on. Ready to fire… 3… 2… THEN, PLEASE BRING BACK BRYAN!!</strong>

NightmareOnKStreet on December 27, 2008 at 7:24 PM

If he ever came to my table I would get up and leave. If he ever tried to shake my hand I would spit on him. He is a traitor to this country.

Sorry but that’s how I feel

Mercy4Me on December 27, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Some brave guy, visiting troops in Hawaii.

faraway on December 27, 2008 at 7:32 PM

ProudPalinFan on December 27, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Because she’s the one the moonbats have nightmares about?

It’s pathetic.

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 6:00 PM

It’s still a little too early to say with certainty what did or didn’t happen in the Blago situation.

ddrintn on December 27, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Proof that Obie has had no desire to win in Iraq. All the umms and no,no,no,nos aside. This is very simple; the surge worked, either in and of it’s own merit, or as part of other things that were happening on the ground, but it worked. This Zero in Chief would have rather had what happen? Something other than what worked.

I stuck has because he may actually hope for a win now that he can try to steal credit.

Example of him stealing the truth about the troops… Go to 2:35

RalphyBoy on December 27, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Some brave guy, visiting troops in Hawaii.

faraway on December 27, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Hey, Hawaii’s been under attack. I’d bet there’s probably some unexploded ordanance still around too.

DarkCurrent on December 27, 2008 at 7:42 PM

It has occurred to the Mistake Messiah that a working relationship with his troops might be a useful thing.

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 7:45 PM

ddrintn on December 27, 2008 at 5:25 PM

A person in the military is an American and can perfectly well despise or adore an elected leader. This is doubly important when the elected leader is a filthy Chicago politician who has shown nothing but contempt for the military from day one. The military will obey orders as stipulated by their oath but that doesn’t mean they can’t have an opinion about the filthy bastard about to become their CINC.

I’ll add one other point. Obama took an hour out of his vacation to show up in the middle of mealtime at a Marine base. Had the filthy bastard really wanted to make a statement he would have put his vacation on hold for a day and flown to Iraq or Afghanistan and shown some respect for the troops in combat. GWB and others of his administration have made several such trips. Filthy bastard Obama didn’t even see fit to visit Iraq and Afghanistan when he was in the Senate.

Character is what happens when nobody is watching taking an hour out to disrupt non-deployed troops during the holiday is hardly the same thing as showing the military the respect they deserve. He was back with his bratty little kids and Ghetto-chic wife before they even knew he was away.

highhopes on December 27, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Wow, Ed! Minnesota seems to be rubbing off you and not in a good way. Our military are smart people. The know a doofus when they see one. Good for them for not being all out giddy.

SouthernGent on December 27, 2008 at 7:51 PM

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 7:45 PM

So what???? He takes an hour away from the beach and all is forgiven for all the contempt he and his people have shown the military for the past six years? It won’t play. Obama is nothing but a filthy Chicago bastard who doesn’t deserve anything more from the military than the bare respect accorded by the office.

highhopes on December 27, 2008 at 7:52 PM

q2600 on December 27, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Thank you.

baldilocks on December 27, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Who says?

ddrintn on December 27, 2008 at 5:25 PM

I don’t know about you, but most mature individual members of the military are able to uphold that oath while adoring/despising the individual. Many of us who had William J. Clinton as our CinC know this by experience.

baldilocks on December 27, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Credit for what? Saying “hi?”
OK, give him 0.00000002 points for doing it with his shirt on.

Ronnie on December 27, 2008 at 8:05 PM

OK, give him 0.00000002 points for doing it with his shirt on.

Ronnie on December 27, 2008 at 8:05 PM

I’m sure that the Marines appreciate the last part.

baldilocks on December 27, 2008 at 8:07 PM

I can assure you “The One” is despised by the Marines and his presence was not welcomed. He most likely would have received a warmer reception at Schofield Barracks, but insists on affiliating himself with the beloved Corps.

Marines have sworn to uphold and defend the Constitution, not any particular individual.

Just because he successfully stole an election, corrupted the process, thumbed his nose at the constitution and made a mockery of democracy does NOT mean he is entitled to anything more than polite acknowledgement.

My sympathies to the devil dogs at K-Bay who were subjected to this “visit”.

YTZGal on December 27, 2008 at 8:11 PM

My sympathies to the devil dogs at K-Bay who were subjected to this “visit”.

YTZGal on December 27, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Filthy Chicago bastard Obama is definitely a Jack Murtha Marine.

highhopes on December 27, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Sorry but that’s how I feel

Mercy4Me on December 27, 2008 at 7:28 PM

W-o-o-o-o-o, Can you say b-i-t-t-e-r…..you are so unhappy, you sound like the nut who spit tobacco in Jane Fonda’s face a few years back…how old are you people??

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 8:17 PM

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 7:45 PM

So what????

highhopes on December 27, 2008 at 7:52 PM

You miss my point, which is that this is nothing but a purely self-serving calculation by the Mistake Messiah, and the troops know that.

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 8:19 PM

My sympathies to the devil dogs at K-Bay who were subjected to this “visit”.

YTZGal on December 27, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Oh please, would you care to back up that statement with some facts? What election did he steal?

Wait a second, I think I am deep in the commetns at DU and it’s 2000….

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 8:21 PM

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 8:17 PM

You strike me as one of the many military-hating ingrates that put Obama in office. Always taking and assuming freedoms that were hard-earned and hard defended. There will be a special hell for traitors like you.

As to making a scene when a filthy politician like Obama shows up to use the troops as a photo-op to “prove” he isn’t despised by a good portion of the military— I personally think that’s the wrong approach because uniformed troops need to show respect for the office even when it is about to be taken over by a filthy bastard like Obama who probably has cousins on the other side of the GWOT. That’s just the way it works. To do otherwise gives America-hating traitors like you fodder to justify your hatred of the military.

highhopes on December 27, 2008 at 8:27 PM

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 8:19 PM

I guess I did because I agree with the above point completely.

highhopes on December 27, 2008 at 8:29 PM

AprilOrit,
When you have CNN laughing and reporting on blacks from Philly who state on camera that they voted twice, the voter fraud from ACORN, et al…. the list is too depressingly long.

And don’t forget dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

Or so we’ve been told for the past 8 years.

Can’t wait until Code Pink, ANSWER and the rest protest and march in the streets against his proposed “surge” in Afghanistan. BTW, are ALL the troops home yet, and is the planet healed? ‘Coz that’s what “The One” promised.

Still waiting.

YTZGal on December 27, 2008 at 8:34 PM

NO… entitled to anything more than polite acknowledgement.

My sympathies to the devil dogs at K-Bay who were subjected to this “visit”.

YTZGal on December 27, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Got that right! They might have to salute him, but they don’t have to shake his hand.

Ed, the kind of attitude you have, that’s why Liberty is dead. The communists (people you call Democrats) are more committed/fanatical than most christians, and that’s why they’ve won. Give them credit from nothing.

The end is nigh…can’t wait for 2012. (Some caller tried to inform Gush Limbaugh about 2012, and he goes, “2012, predicted by the Mayans, right, the Mayans that are extinct, now, right?” Hilarious!!!)

klickink.wordpress.com on December 27, 2008 at 8:34 PM

highhopes on December 27, 2008 at 8:27 PM

highhopes: thank you.

YTZGal on December 27, 2008 at 8:36 PM

There will be a special hell for traitors like you.

Way to let that Christian Spirit shine. Thinking before typing is highly recommended.

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Thank you.

baldilocks on December 27, 2008 at 7:57 PM

No prob!

q2600 on December 27, 2008 at 8:39 PM

highhopes on December 27, 2008 at 8:27 PM

You please spare me with what you think I am or what you think I did.

And spare me with your filthy name calling. Yeah right, some Christian you are.

First off I didn’t vote for Obama – and anyone who is rational and posts here knows that. And when I say rational – I mean those not suffering from Obama Derangement Syndrome.

Get on your knees and ask God for some guidance and to release you from the burden of your damn senseless self.

How dare you call me an America hating traitor and suggest that I hate the military, who the hell are you anyway? Someone important? You are just another unhappy loon who has usurped the GOP from the people. You’re a cliche’ and a pathetic one as well.

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 8:46 PM

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 8:38 PM

These are not Christians, they are extremeists who belong in The Constitution Party and not in the GOP.

They have the market cornered on God and Country and the military – MY ASS.

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 8:50 PM

highhopes on December 27, 2008 at 8:27 PM

highhopes: thank you.

+1 and a bit of a reminder….

What comes around goes around…..

canditaylor68 on December 27, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Hey when was Qwanza? I didn’t hear much about it this year.

johnnyU on December 27, 2008 at 9:08 PM

April,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,How many cliches did we hear the last eight years???. I am willing to bet the ranch that Obama did not get a majority of the military vote especially the Marines. Ive read all the posts here and can see some points the left has made. I don’t think any of the extreme lefties, democrats, pinkies, have any love for the military who protects their right to speak out. If we were under Muslim law there would be no debate at all or would there be? Yes, I agree with you the last eight years of folks hating Bush was pathetic.

garydt on December 27, 2008 at 9:10 PM

YTZGal on December 27, 2008 at 8:11 PM

YTZGal, why would Schofield be any different than Kaneohe?

DarkCurrent on December 27, 2008 at 9:20 PM

What is wrong with you Ed? Did you forget that Obama accused them of air raiding villages etc?

csdeven on December 27, 2008 at 9:21 PM

garydt on December 27, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Listen, I was defending myself. He/she automatically assumes I voted for Obama, or that I am some Leftie. No I am just a reasonable person who deals in reality and not Truther-Philip-Berg-Filthy-PUMA conspiracy theories.

And who really knows how those soldiers felt about Obama, these loons don’t know, they have no idea what goes on outside of their own little small box they neatly live in.

The probnlem is that these posters here are so much like the posters at DU and Koss and Huffp, it’s amazing.

No actually it’s not amazing, it’s tragic.

And they are just so knee jerk quick to assume they have all the answers. They have nothing, they are a bunch of bitter old small minded trolls suffering from the same disease The Left had over Bush, plain and simple.

I suggest you steer clear of them or you will be infected.

Remember, there is no cure and as we have seen – the infection lasts for years.

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Well Ed, one thing I will say, I know in my heart you are a true Christian.

Thanks for that, you are the real deal.

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 9:28 PM

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 8:38 PM

That Christian “turn-the-other-cheek” crap is why America is in this mess. You want Liberty – FREEEEEEDOM – you gotta’ quit turning the cheeks, baby. You gotta’ believe in whatever your “right” is – the commies do, they believe it is RIGHT for the masses to be the same, controlled by an all-powerful tyrant.

Thas’ alright, bro – 2012 is coming. Liberty is no mas!

klickink.wordpress.com on December 27, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Hey when was Qwanza? I didn’t hear much about it this year.

johnnyU on December 27, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Kwanza just began yesterday (12/26) but I don’t see the connection to this thread (?)

No actually it’s not amazing, it’s tragic.

I suggest you steer clear of them or you will be infected.

Remember, there is no cure and as we have seen – the infection lasts for years.

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 9:26 PM

April, I agree with you to a degree. The responses to you and the comment meant for Ed are disappointing. I think Conservatives, all things being equal, are generally more thoughtful and more logical than liberals, so many of the comments I’ve read tonight are surprising.

Red State State of Mind on December 27, 2008 at 9:31 PM

If Ed needs any further proof that he messed up with this one — what next, congratulations for Al Franken? — all he needs to do is note who he has pleased with his little hymn of praise to Osama Obama: Tom Shipley, AprilOrit and DeathtoMediaHacks.

Three strikes…this thread’s out.

MrScribbler on December 27, 2008 at 9:32 PM

I’ve never served in the military, but I guess my question to our active servicemen and vets would be, how meaningful is a visit from the POTUS-elect when you are stationed in the U.S.?

I mean, I can see how it would be heartening to have a visit from the POTUS-elect (or anyone from “home,” frankly) if you are stationed overseas or if you’re recuperating in the hospital, but if you find yourself stationed in Hawaii, isn’t that pretty nice? How home sick are those servicemen and servicewomen?

Y-not on December 27, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Three strikes…this thread’s out.

MrScribbler on December 27, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Hey, I hear they are allowing disgruntled bitter trolls who call themselves Republicans and Christians to register over at DU, I suggest you round up your crew and go….

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 9:37 PM

The office (“POTUS-elect”) doesn’t even necessitate a salute. As for how nice the visit is–it depends on whether I like the person.

q2600 on December 27, 2008 at 9:38 PM

How home sick are those servicemen and servicewomen?

Y-not on December 27, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Kaneohe’s rough. I know, my grandpa retired there and I visited a few times.

DarkCurrent on December 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Thas’ alright, bro – 2012 is coming. Liberty is no mas!

klickink.wordpress.com on December 27, 2008 at 9:29 PM

This doesn’t mean that you need to be an asshole to make your points.

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Who says?

I do. It’s my opinion. But actually it’s also been the opinion, historically, of lots of general officers from Sherman to Marshall to Patton.

ddrintn on December 27, 2008 at 5:25 PM

baldilocks on December 27, 2008 at 8:01 PM

It just seems that feeling that the Commander in Chief is a filthy bastard who has no right to the office might color one’s perception of duty.

Hey, I don’t like Obama either. It just seems we should be concentrating on our own message rather than be consumed with hatred for Obama. It was counterproductive to have those same feelings for Clinton.

ddrintn on December 27, 2008 at 9:53 PM

ddrintn on December 27, 2008 at 9:53 PM

This is exactly my point.

That is exactly what the Democrats were told – when they were/are consumed with their hate for W.

They had no ideas of their own, everything and anything was W’s fault.

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 9:58 PM

ddrintn on December 27, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Don’t know, but I suppose it would, if the Commander in Chief was who they thought to serve. That didn’t seem the focus of the ones I’ve known though.

DarkCurrent on December 27, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Kaneohe’s rough. I know, my grandpa retired there and I visited a few times.

DarkCurrent on December 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Are you being facetious?

At the risk of offending a Marine… I checked the base web site and it does look bad… the golf course does look like a mess.

Anyway, I guess the point of my original post is that Lightworker could have done more real good visiting some wounded soldiers than he seems to have accomplished by interrupting these Marines’ holiday dinner.

Y-not on December 27, 2008 at 10:07 PM

ddrintn on December 27, 2008 at 9:53 PM

It didn’t make me defect to Russia.

baldilocks on December 27, 2008 at 10:07 PM

It’s from John McCain. The party not in power is often more apt to criticize military operations. As it should be. Would you rather pols just blindly support any military operations or tactics the president decides on? Are you going to do so while Obama is in the White House?

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Good quote in response to the challenge. Your point.

My fallback position is that McCain actually knows what he is talking about, as a Naval Aviator with combat flight experience. Obama is profoundly ignorant of all things military, so I view his comment as leftist political rhetoric, not a military tactics critique.

Jaibones on December 27, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM

(Sorry – I was away).

Jaibones on December 27, 2008 at 10:11 PM

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 9:37 PM

That’s right, no freedom of speech here – like I tell ya’, Liberty is dead!

Seig Hiel, mien Murther!!!

klickink.wordpress.com on December 27, 2008 at 10:16 PM

ddrintn on December 27, 2008 at 9:53 PM

This is exactly my point.

They had no ideas of their own, everything and anything was W’s fault.

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Uh, gee, and how did that work for them commie-dems again.

Oh, yeah, right…they won. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm…….

klickink.wordpress.com on December 27, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Uh, gee, and how did that work for them commie-dems again.

Oh, yeah, right…they won. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm…….

klickink.wordpress.com on December 27, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Ahem, they lost in 2004.

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Are you being facetious?

Y-not on December 27, 2008 at 10:07 PM

I was.

As above, my grandfather was bombed there in ’41, but went back to live when he retired from the Navy in the mid-60′s. I visited occasionally and he seemed to be living in paradise. He even had a banana tree in his back yard (that impressed me the most as a kid from Seattle). He passed away there in 2001, without ever going golfing as far as I know.

DarkCurrent on December 27, 2008 at 10:43 PM

They know their rules and etiquette better than any of us. They don’t have to do anything now, and after Jan. 20th he’ll be their CiC, for me Cipher in Chief. They will respect the office and do what will be necessary, as they always do.

Entelechy on December 27, 2008 at 5:21 PM

There’s nothing in military rules and etiquette about cheering or applauding for a politician when one visits. It either happens or doesn’t happen entirely on its own, regardless of the office he holds (or doesn’t yet hold). Frankly, I’d be afraid of the implications if there were such a thing. Showing up for mandatory fun and being respectful is one thing…forced cheering to create a certain impression is entirely another.

I should note, however, that even Bill Clinton received golf claps.

James on December 27, 2008 at 10:44 PM

I should note, however, that even Bill Clinton received golf claps.

James on December 27, 2008 at 10:44 PM

It should be noted that the mention of Bill Clinton and any form of the word clap is just downright funny.

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Ahem…I should also note that I know several military people who are huge fans of Obama. They’re young, impressionable, and although highly intelligent, utterly naiive about the way the world works. They haven’t known anyone who’s been killed or had their careers derailed by a Clinton policy or funding decision.

They’ll learn.

James on December 27, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Ahem, they lost in 2004.

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 10:27 PM

It ain’t 2004 any more, Dorothy.

klickink.wordpress.com on December 27, 2008 at 10:54 PM

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 8:46 PM

How dare I? Who the hell am I?

I am an American you traitor-loving b*tch. Obama hasn’t taken over yet honey so you political wh*re’s really need to keep minding the business of the Dem party a bit longer before you start spouting all this moralistic outrage.

highhopes on December 27, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Geeze Ed, you’re happy our American Marines got “Scraps” A photo op with the President Elect. Sounds like they got a better bead on the new Boss, then the chattering class. Oh let’s give Obama a pass, okay under many different circumstances…using our American Military as a Christmas Prop…No I don’t think so. I can think for myself so you give him a pass if you want. I am going to with hold judgment, and hope he was being sincere, and not drawing heat away from himself, and the Blago fiasco…remember how that works Ed “Distraction” changing the narrative in the 24/7 news cycle.

Dr Evil on December 27, 2008 at 11:02 PM

James on December 27, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Is it really possible for adults to be truly intelligent and yet that naive about how the world works?

(I only question their intelligence, not their adulthood)

DarkCurrent on December 27, 2008 at 11:04 PM

It ain’t 2004 any more, Dorothy.

klickink.wordpress.com on December 27, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Thanks Mister Sister – this I know…..

AprilOrit on December 27, 2008 at 11:05 PM

(I only question their intelligence, not their adulthood)

DarkCurrent on December 27, 2008 at 11:04 PM

They’re recent Academy grads…that covers both parts.

James on December 27, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Darkcurrent,
Schofield Barracks has a totally different demographic.

I am puzzled as to why Ed would be “surprised” that The One received the reception that he did, and would make the lede
“Give Credit”…..completely shocking.

Go back to pre-election polls and look at the stats on those members of the military that reported, esp. the USMC out of all the branches of the service. It wasn’t just support “for” McCain but a deep and visceral distrust of Obama. That hasn’t changed, and won’t change.

In spite of that, Marines are professionals and will continue to act as professionals. There isn’t a military member out there, I am sure, at some point in their career, has had to work for/report to someone they didn’t respect.

Some of the Marines had their family members with them in the chow hall during dinner, and other news reports that Obama “backslapped” a number of the attendees. Quite frankly, had he visited “our” chow hall and laid an unwanted hand on me, I would have filed an assault charge.
It is one thing to be subjected to an unpleasant and unwanted “visit” but quite another to be subjected to unwanted touching. Even kindergartners know enough to keep their hands to themselves.

As for the suggestions that he should have visited troops deployed, they have enough to deal with in a combat zone away from loved ones, why dump on them even more? That’s simply unfair.

YTZGal on December 27, 2008 at 11:21 PM

AprilOrit,
(1) They’re Marines, not soldiers. Try and keep up.
(2) Love the ad hominem attacks, and how everyone who doesn’t agree w/ your pt of view/belief system is a loon. How “tolerant”.
(3) I can say I do know how “those soldiers felt” because I’m married to one.

YTZGal on December 27, 2008 at 11:26 PM

AprilOrit,
(1) They’re Marines, not soldiers. Try and keep up.
(3) I can say I do know how “those soldiers felt” (Marines) because I’m married to one. Obama has made his contempt of the military well known for years — why should he be surprised that the feeling is mutual?

YTZGal on December 27, 2008 at 11:29 PM

They’re recent Academy grads…that covers both parts.

James on December 27, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Which two (both)?

DarkCurrent on December 27, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Obama probably figured if Hillary could ask to have junior Officers act as waiters at White House receptions. He could go over and try to get a couple Marines to pedal the bamboo generator bike to run the tv and ac while the power went out. You know Aunt Ester isn’t nice to be around when the ac goes out.

Caper29 on December 27, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Darkcurrent,
Schofield Barracks has a totally different demographic.

YTZGal on December 27, 2008 at 11:21 PM

I’ve been to both. I didn’t notice any difference in the ‘demographic’. Is there one?

DarkCurrent on December 27, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Which two (both)?

DarkCurrent on December 27, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Naiive: recent…intelligent: Academy grad (most cases).

They haven’t been out of their enforced isolation from society long enough to figure out how the world works…they’re even less aware than recent civilian college grads.

James on December 27, 2008 at 11:38 PM

highhopes on December 27, 2008 at 11:00 PM

YTZGal on December 27, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Well.
I guess highhopes really proves your point to a T, huh?
Not everyone on HA is taking crazy pills Aprilorit.
The Cap’t or Ap should ban these people forthwith.

billy on December 27, 2008 at 11:38 PM

YTZGal on December 27, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Please check yourself. Good for you, you are married to one, does that give you the right to speak for them? The answer is no.

April has been called a traitor and a military-hater on this board, I think she has the right to be a smidge indignant.

Not everyone gets the distinction, but people who continually correct them in the snooty manner you just did are probably the reason that the other services find Marines so damn annoying.

Squid Shark on December 27, 2008 at 11:43 PM

highhopes on December 27, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Ironic comedy gold.

hillbillyjim on December 27, 2008 at 11:46 PM

You people shouldn’t waste your time getting worked up over aprilorbit. She’s a holier then thou rich manhattan liberal. She thinks she is so smart she can come in here and call herself a consevative while espousing silly, closed minded, liberal, post modern-moral relativism and somehow she’ll win over us stupid conservatives. Her debating style is pure knee jerk liberal. She will make snotty, condescending remarks and then when she comes under attack she quickly switches to the role of victim. The best she has ever done is annoy people here. She looks down on anyone not in her social circle and believes her and her ilk need to “help” the poor, uneducated and pathetic proletariat, most of whom are actually the base of her true party, the democrats. My guess would be she is an active member of acorn.

peacenprosperity on December 27, 2008 at 11:48 PM

peacenprosperity on December 27, 2008 at 11:48 PM

If you want people to stop coming in and calling you ineducated rubes I would sugest you stop sounding like one.

Squid Shark on December 27, 2008 at 11:50 PM

ineducated uneducated rubes I would sugest suggest

pot kettle black I suppose

Squid Shark on December 27, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Squid Shark on December 27, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Hey, charlie crists “intern” is here, or as charlie affectionately called him,”sweetcheeks”.

peacenprosperity on December 27, 2008 at 11:55 PM

peacenprosperity on December 27, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Oh, a gay joke, that reinforces you point like only a rube can

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Geez I cant type tonight.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Naiive: recent…intelligent: Academy grad (most cases).

James on December 27, 2008 at 11:38 PM

I was off. I thought you meant simply because they’d been to ‘Academy’ they were automatically intelligent, sane adults. Having a raving lunatic uncle who went to Annapolis I was going to differ.

DarkCurrent on December 28, 2008 at 12:02 AM

long_cat on December 28, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Thank you.

RalphyBoy on December 28, 2008 at 12:05 AM

DarkCurrent on December 28, 2008 at 12:02 AM

Ditto, ive known a few academy types who I would like to throw back.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 12:05 AM

Oh, a gay joke, that reinforces you point like only a rube can

Are you drunk again, squid? Don’t they teach you not to drink and comment in the Navy?

Do you think people like you, charlie, lindsey and mccain will really have a place at the table if they left gets total control? The ideologues on the left will have no need to throw a bone to you squishy, middle of the road appeasers. They will see you as the weak principle deprived beings that you are.

I’m done with you, I have no desire to get into a name calling fight with faux-conservatives tonite. Go have a talk with april about how superior you are.

peacenprosperity on December 28, 2008 at 12:08 AM

peacenprosperity on December 28, 2008 at 12:08 AM

No I am tired, it was a long day today. I have no illusions about who gets a “seat at the table”.

Do you think the American People are ever going to throw you a bone again. Watch and wait.

Squid Shark on December 28, 2008 at 12:12 AM