Credit where it’s due

posted at 10:55 am on December 27, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama took an hour out of his Christmas in Hawaii to visit Marines at Kaneche Bay.  ABC’s Sunlen Miller makes it sound as though Obama got an unenthusiastic reception:

As Obama entered the room it was absent of the regular fanfare of cheering and clapping. The diners were polite; staying seated at their respective tables and waited for the President-elect to come to them to stand up.

Obama, dressed casually in a blue polo shirt and dark khaki trousers, worked his way around the room – table by table – and took pictures with the service members. He slapped them on the back at times, shook hands, and signed some autographs.

“Hey guys, Merry Christmas,” The President-elect said as he walked from table to table.

In fairness, he walked it while the Marines had already begun eating their holiday meal.  That may have accounted for the lack of applause and cheers on entering the room.  Obama probably surprised them as well with his visit.

I’m sure some will make hay out of the supposedly lukewarm reception Obama received, but I won’t be one of them.  Obama took the time to visit our men and women serving their country on the holiday, something he could have easily skipped since he’s not yet their Commander in Chief and technically no longer a member of the Senate, either.  He didn’t make a big deal out of it, either.  Obama will give us plenty to criticize in the next few years, and hopefully a few things to cheer as well.  Visiting the troops is cause for the latter.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

He’s accused out troops of atrocities. He has demonized them again and again for political gain. He has no honor amongst the honorable and the soldiers know it.

Guardian on December 27, 2008 at 10:59 AM

I have the same reaction as our fighting men and women. Why are you paying attention to us Now? Was this just a photo-op?

kingsjester on December 27, 2008 at 11:00 AM

I’d be more impressed if he left the press behind. The fact that he dragged them along shows that he’s posturing. How many visits by Bush and Cheney went unannounced and unheralded.

And I can tell you that the Marines sure as hell would have been standing and cheering if it had been Bush.

Jim62sch on December 27, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Wow!! What a guy, no wonder he is so loved. I sm ao sure he went out of his way, interrupted his vacation to say hey to our military. Geez, on Christmas day too, how thoughtful.

clinker46 on December 27, 2008 at 11:01 AM

You’re probably right. I have no doubt on HuffPo they are probably indeed posting about the cretins, slobs, and drop-outs that are our troops.

Marcus on December 27, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Perhaps they remember when he was in Berlin he chose to take a morning workout instead of visiting wounded warriors at a military hospital.

I guarantee if Pres Bush walked into the room there would be a respectful hush followed by a reverant cheer.

FireBlogger on December 27, 2008 at 11:02 AM

I didn’t hear an apology in his remarks.

sheriff246 on December 27, 2008 at 11:02 AM

I normally would agree with your post on this Ed…Sure, Obama took the time to visit, but would he have done so without the cameras for the photo op? I can still remember how he skipped the troops a few months back, because he couldn’t have pics taken by his press entourage.

JetBoy on December 27, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Sorry but Obarfy hasn’t exactly shown himself to be a friend of the military, this was him doing a gladhand before spending his own holiday at his beachfront hideaway.

Bishop on December 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM

“In fairness, he walked it while the Marines had already begun eating their holiday meal. That may have accounted for the lack of applause and cheers on entering the room.”

Come on!

B/C they were eating?

They

don’t

respect

him.

Rightfully so.

artist on December 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Yeah, I know, give him credit right? In a pigs eye, he already has the vote, just happen to have a few bored press people around, no way he would have done it if he hadn’t been followed by his devoted msm. Just another case of the one trying to make himself look good, not a care for anyone but himself. Gee, think he would have done it if it hadn’t been a kodak moment. Fat chance. It’s all about him. potus to be sucks.

clinker46 on December 27, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Meh. Just shows he has some staff now with some sense who no doubt ordered him to make this visit. Pardon me for not congratulating him. He is going to find the same reception Bill Clinton did among our military. We’ll see if he handles it any better.

rockmom on December 27, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I suspect the Marine’s lack of response was mainly due to Obama’s being, officially, neither fish nor fowl at this point. They didn’t know what to make of him so they made… not much.

PersonFromPorlock on December 27, 2008 at 11:06 AM

“Good thing he managed to make it to Iraq a whole two times in the last five years, then again in Hawaii you don’t have to worry too much about your personal safety.”

Yup.

And both were when he was running as a Pres candidate, right?

This was a photo op, nothing more.

artist on December 27, 2008 at 11:06 AM

During the campaign he talked of them air raiding villages, killing civilians, and couldn’t succeed in Iraq. It seems they haven’t forgotten that, they must not have gotten the memo decree from Mount Transparency yet.

Hog Wild on December 27, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Bishop on December 27, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Why was Obama silent when his far-left supporters were terrorizing the Marine Recruiting ofc in SF?

artist on December 27, 2008 at 11:08 AM

In fairness, he walked it while the Marines had already begun eating their holiday meal. That may have accounted for the lack of applause and cheers on entering the room. Obama probably surprised them as well with his visit.

Ed made a funny.

JiangxiDad on December 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM

case in point

The troops are aware of stuff like this.

Guardian on December 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Service members are doing the same thing as the rest of us that aren’t part of the Obama Cult. They are taking a wait and see attitude like the rest of us.
But when he sends Hillary to speak with our enemies, he will not show up to eat with the troops in Afghanistan.

JeffinOrlando on December 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM

This is the third time I have seen this and not one reporter has bothered to get the name of the base right.

It’s Kaneohe Bay. I was stationed there in the 80′s. We had politians come through all the time, guess it was a good way to take a vaction on the public’s dime and pretend like you were actually doing something for the troops.

Kahuna on December 27, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Ed made a funny.

JiangxiDad on December 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM

:-D

JetBoy on December 27, 2008 at 11:16 AM

artist on December 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM

As Ed correctly points out, we don’t know the exact circumstances of how he entered. He may have just entered inconspiculously and started talking to people, not really creating an opportunity for soldiers to rise and cheer upon his entrance.

Regardless, you’re speaking for the troops there for political gain or purpose. That’s called using the troops. You don’t know what their opinion of Obama any more than you know any other group of strangers’ opinion of Obama.

What gives you the right to speak for these soldiers?

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:17 AM

0bama finds it easy enough to duck the media when he wants to go to a water park.

Quisp on December 27, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Wow! So the One goes and visits a Military Base. What for? Why now? He isn’t even in office yet. He accused our Military of murdering civilians. And raping them also. He said he would cut back our Military. First we get these stupid You Tube Video’s of his bull crap views and promises. Then he expects our Military to bow down to him. They were enjoying a dinner, and was interrupted. I hate when I get interrupted during dinner. When I am hungry, I am hungry. This should be interesting to see what he will do. We need our Military more than ever.

sheebe on December 27, 2008 at 11:18 AM

As a veteran, I can tell you that men that are honored and respected will always get a personal response from military personnell. Obama couldn’t give a lusty crap about our military and this photo-op stinks on ice. “Give credit where credit is due” my ass. If he had showed up sans the press and was sincerely contrite about his former negative comments and actions regarding our military he would have at least started in-roads to making ammends. As it stands now, the services will salute the office, but not the man. Methinks it would suck mightily to be CinC only by law and not by earned respect.

paulsmos on December 27, 2008 at 11:20 AM

What gives you the right to speak for these soldiers?

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:17 AM

I know a lot who went to Iraq. My Nephew also. They do not like The One. Of course he is your super flake hero. Sorry to break it to you. A lot of Military despise him. He made it clear about his views on our Military. War is war. It is not a time to make nice. Some civilians do get killed in war. That is a fact of life. It hurts your feelers that there are many that cannot stand your stupid hero.

sheebe on December 27, 2008 at 11:21 AM

PDF poll/graphs HERE

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:17 AM

That’s funny!

JetBoy on December 27, 2008 at 11:23 AM

He visited now that he has the press with him. I’m not impressed.

aikidoka on December 27, 2008 at 11:24 AM

I just can’t stand to read any story about BHO. I can’t stand videos of him either. I don’t care what he says to our military. They are restricted from saying what they think of him while he is free to call them murderers. I served under Clinton and it sucked to have him as CINC. I feel sorry for our wonderful military people who now have to serve under something far worse. God speed our military.

I’m thinking that the next four years will be good spiritually for me. I can channel all my former political energy to pursue a better relationship with God. I’m sick of leftists and liberals who are destroying our country and I’m sick of the Republicans who enable them.

Mojave Mark on December 27, 2008 at 11:24 AM

But would the reception have been different if he were a CIC-in-waiting who had previously said things like, “I believe in you. I believe in your mission. You have my support, 100 percent. I love you all and I will give you everything you need to succeed. We will see this job through, and then I will bring you home and we will celebrate your victory.”
???

whitetop on December 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM

sheebe on December 27, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Wonderful, and there are military personnel who like Obama. Again, myself, you or most anyone else does not know the opinion of the soldiers at that base in regard to Obama. Some probably like him, some probably don’t. I’m not going to be as presumptuous to claim to know the opinion of those troops.

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM

The two best meals a GI can get in a chow hall (politically correct term is dinning facility, but I’m old school) are the ones served on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. The hubris of the “one” to interrupt the feast of our brave Marines for a photo op continues to irritate this old veteran. Working at an Air Force Base as a simple servant I can tell you the average Airman is not very impressed with our incoming CINC either.

Retired USAF on December 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM

You are far to gracious Ed. The troops knew exactly what they were doing. Showing respect. That’s the kind of military we have and I love them for it.

The troops lack of enthusiasm spoke volumes!

Obama’s anti-American values are well know and deserve no room whatsoever. We will only survive his Presidency if we hold his feet to the fire on ever move based on what we know.

We know through his own writings (biography) videos, interviews, and associations that he cares not for this country as it was intended or for its founding principles.

The troops serve the nation and its Constitution and as painful a reality it is, their Commander in Cheif (which is painful to write). They will give him the due respect but you insult them by assuming they were simply engaged in their meal not to stand with enthusiasm. We all know how Bush was received time and time again. Do not insult our intelligence on this one Ed.

katy on December 27, 2008 at 11:27 AM

I seem to remember our current president traveling in secret to a war zone to serve the troops their Thanksgiving dinner. He got a standing ovation.

Tommy_G on December 27, 2008 at 11:29 AM

hey, shipley, my brother served in baghdad. he is worried that obambi will ruin our military & our country. so i can speak for him, ok?

shipley, you aren’t a vet or from a military family, are you?

kelley in virginia on December 27, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Tommy_G on December 27, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Hey, Tom! Here is the difference. One goes in secret and serves dinner to our troops. The One goes for a photo op and serves himself.

kingsjester on December 27, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Nothing better than getting a pat on the back just before the knife goes in between the shoulder blades.

You might be fooled by this ChiTcago political thug. I am not.

DannoJyd on December 27, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Obama rose in power on the left, by demonizing our Troops and in many cases lying about them. Hopefully he doesn’t really believe in his rhetoric, ironically thats what we are left with here. hope

Now of course we have to make the best of a bad situation with him as CinC, scary thing is that if Obama cuts any of the Federal Budget it will likely be in the Military, the last place it should come from.

jp on December 27, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Fair enough. Almost all generations of my family are Military. There are more that don’t like him then ones that do like him. I would be surprised if you knew any Military frankly.

sheebe on December 27, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Obama does NOTHING… NOTHING inconspiculously ! How foolish to think otherwise. Mr. Shiply, somehow you have managed to lose all sense over the years and I run dry of patience with your idiocy!
Just a thought…

katy on December 27, 2008 at 11:34 AM

so i can speak for him, ok?

If you feel comfortable doing so, sure.

shipley, you aren’t a vet or from a military family, are you?

No, and no. But my grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge.

kingsjester on December 27, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Don’t forget that he blows off troops waiting to shake his hand!

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:35 AM

I would like to add that while I was in the service, I’ve been at meals such as this where popular dignitaries make a visit. I never saw a POTUS but if the person making the rounds was popular, it wouldn’t matter if the troops were eating, they would stand and clap or cheer.Bishop on December 27, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Bishop takes the pawn. Do we really need Ed Morrissey on this site shilling for Obama?

Basilsbest on December 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM

What gives you the right to speak for these soldiers?

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:17 AM

“…just air-raiding villages and killing civilians…”

Obama, New Hampshire political rhetoric

Tom, the reason that Democrats are so widely viewed as having contempt for our military is quotes like this. Take your time, do a thorough search, and find me a quote like this from McCain, Palin, Cheney or Bush. Just one.

The reality is the same as the perception – Democrats have contempt for both our soldiers and our military leaders, despite the Democrats willingness, even desperation, to use military leaders as props during campaigns.

Jaibones on December 27, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Yeah. And he’d rather work out at a German gym than see wounded troops in a hospital without cameras.

kingsjester on December 27, 2008 at 11:38 AM

btw, I won’t forget THIS ONE either…

JetBoy on December 27, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Basilsbest on December 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Jaibones on December 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM

What gives you the right to speak for these soldiers?

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:17 AM

The reports I’ve read indicate that active U.S. military members voted for John McCain over Obama by a rather substantial margin. I’d say that statistic speaks for itself as to how most of our soldiers feel about Obama.

AZCoyote on December 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Jaibones,

Guess who this quote is from.

In the most obscene chapter in recent American history is the conduct of the Kosovo conflict when the president of the United States refused to prepare for ground operations, refused to have air power used effectively because he wanted them flying — he had them flying at 15,000 feet where they killed innocent civilians because they were dropping bombs from such — in high altitude.

It’s from John McCain. The party not in power is often more apt to criticize military operations. As it should be. Would you rather pols just blindly support any military operations or tactics the president decides on? Are you going to do so while Obama is in the White House?

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM

The ABC reporter was high — or just a typical left-liberal “journalist.” The military is very big on proper protocol and courtesy, and Obama is neither CiC yet nor still a senator — he’s just a VIP civilian. I doubt this was a surprise visit; the diners were probably briefed on the correct way to behave. They would never disrespect themselves by disrespecting the man about to become their Commander in Chief.

irishspy on December 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Guardian on December 27, 2008 at 10:59 AM

My initial reaction was to agree with Ed’s assessment, but you’re right — Obama owes the troops an apology, and until he offers it, everything is just a photo-op.

holygoat on December 27, 2008 at 11:46 AM

I appreciate your fairness Ed and am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, but history tells me this is probably a photo op and the troops are indeed lukewarm to him.

demigogue on December 27, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Everytime Tom Shipley comes on here and gives us his twisted carp, we all jump including me… Did he sneek into the nurses station at Bellevue hospital while they went out for bed check and he loves the attention we give him?

The nurses can’t stand him nor do the patients. We are his audience for an afternoon. Alas, poor Tom…

katy on December 27, 2008 at 11:47 AM

kingsjester on December 27, 2008 at 11:38 AM

That story was BS too. Press was never to accompany Obama on that visit.

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:47 AM

As often as not, someone is accusing Ed of being too partisan,

Jaibones on December 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM

When Ed said the Marines were too busy chewing to notice the new boy President, I suspect his tongue was planted firmly in cheek. If not, he had a few too many eggnogs. :)

JiangxiDad on December 27, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Well I guess you can’t really win. Don’t go visit the troops and you’re anti-military; go and visit the troops and you’re doing it for personal gain.

alex342 on December 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM

AZCoyote on December 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Tru dat. The average amongst all branches of the military, McCain got roughly 3 out of 4 votes over Obama. That also covers the spread by race…but on the flip side, Obama got 3 of 4 amongst black servicemen and women in the military.

JetBoy on December 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM

I don’t know about now, but during my tenure in the service, there was always one NCO or rank in the mess that kept his eye out to call the room to attention. Most visitors would have the room called to “as you were”. Since his majesty is just a citizen as Ed so subtly pointed out (Barack Obama took an hour out of his Christmas in Hawaii to visit Marines at Kaneche Bay. ABC’s Sunlen Miller makes it sound as though Obama got an unenthusiastic reception), I guess he didn’t rate.

N4646W on December 27, 2008 at 11:51 AM

alex342 on December 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Bingo alex…. you got it exactly right.

katy on December 27, 2008 at 11:53 AM

alex342 on December 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Third option: visit the troops and apologize for your comments about them simply air-raiding villages and killing civilians.

holygoat on December 27, 2008 at 11:57 AM

This makes the decision track very clear. Obama and his team set up the visits to military installations before going overseas. After seeing how the media got excluded in Iraq and Afghanistan, they decided it wasn’t worth traveling to Ramstein and Landstuhl to visit the severely wounded troops because they couldn’t bring the campaign and get the photo ops they wanted. Instead, Obama went shopping in Berlin.

Ed Morrissey on HotAir 7/25/08

So, Tom, was Ed’s Story just B.S.?

kingsjester on December 27, 2008 at 11:58 AM

JetBoy on December 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM

If true, enormous implications for those who say the military is a red state institution, and for our futures.

JiangxiDad on December 27, 2008 at 11:59 AM

holygoat on December 27, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Why apologize? It worked.

JiangxiDad on December 27, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Bingo alex…. you got it exactly right.

katy on December 27, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Humm, what has the great one done to deserve the respect and trust of the guys in the trenches?

N4646W on December 27, 2008 at 12:02 PM

“This is the third time I have seen this and not one reporter has bothered to get the name of the base right
It’s Kaneohe Bay.”
Kahuna hit the nail on the head The Messiah’s own bought and paid for media can’t even spend the time to find out the name of the base, they are on alert in case he does something really important like take his shirt off.
Kahuna, semper fi, I was in and out of Kaneohe in the 70′s

Dadzilla on December 27, 2008 at 12:03 PM

alex342 on December 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM

But he is anti military, has been during the whole campaign. This is the bed he made for himself with his own words and Congressional votes.

Hog Wild on December 27, 2008 at 12:05 PM

kingsjester on December 27, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Yes, complete BS.

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Basilsbest on December 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM
Point to Bishop, but -1 point to Basilsbest for unsportsmanlike conduct. Commenters do not get to call for staff changes at the Blog level, and Ed is certainly not “shilling for Obama”. As often as not, someone is accusing Ed of being too partisan, unlike Allah’s more nuanced maverickyness (had to stretch a bit there).
Jaibones on December 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM

An F for reading comprehension jailbones. I did not call for Ed to be removed, just to stop shilling for Obama and yes he was. I like Ed but I find it annoying when he goes out of his way to imitate liberals, like he did here. As Bishop pointed out … eating or not … a room that admired the unannounced guest would have burst into applause. We are overwhelmed with liberals grasping at straws to cover for Obama. We hardly need one of our few conservative voices doing the same. The troops don’t like Obama because he maligned them and didn’t support their mission. He’s done nothing to earn their respect.

Basilsbest on December 27, 2008 at 12:06 PM

While I appreciate the sentiment behind those folks who, like Ed, try to ascribe to Obama some sense of “noblesse oblige”, it is a misdirected notion. Obama’s past scurrilous comments towards our soldiers is all the evidence one needs to properly evaluate his disposition as regards the military. Obama has only ever shown a sense of responsibility to the furtherance of his own interests. Contrary to Ed’s view, it was rather an opportunity too easy to miss.

He didn’t make a big deal out of it, either.

He doesn’t have to. The MSM will do it for him.

Obama will give us plenty to criticize in the next few years, and hopefully a few things to cheer as well. Visiting the troops is cause for the latter.

Most definitely to the first, highly doubtful to the second. And frankly, cheering for a no-brainer troop visit is really just giving creedance and legitimacy to a typical phony, self-serving, political photo-op.

Puddleglum on December 27, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Oh, who the heck cares. Obviously the troops get bored with this stuff because every politician uses them as political fodder. I’m sure they are a lot happier interacting with their own family and the interruptions by so very important people is a downer.

Vince on December 27, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Bingo alex…. you got it exactly right.

katy on December 27, 2008 at 11:53 AM

N4646W on December 27, 2008 at 12:02 PM

My comment was sarc// meaning, alex’s sarc was in fact… a fact. Don’t go visit the troops and you’re anti-military; go and visit the troops and you’re doing it for personal gain.
Obama is anti-military for not visiting the troops-fact. and when he does, he does it for personal gain-fact. Hence, alex unknowingly made a factual statment

katy on December 27, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Why apologize? It worked.

JiangxiDad on December 27, 2008 at 12:00 PM

I know what you’re getting at, but I was referring specifically to alex’s “Damned if he did, damned if he didn’t” theory.

holygoat on December 27, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Obama has done many visits with wounded troops without cameras. Factcheck.org has totally debunked the smear that Obama didn’t visit troops in Germany in order to “work out.” Indeed, the footage of him playing basketball in that commercial is from when he played ball with troops in Kuwait. Oy the ignorance.

DeathToMediaHacks on December 27, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Credit where it’s due???

Ed, are you serious? That’s the very thing that got America into such a financial crisis. Easy credit.

keep the change on December 27, 2008 at 12:10 PM

katy on December 27, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Thanks for the clarification!

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 12:10 PM

You did a survey? You took a poll? You saw the election returns? People are making all these claims about how the troops feel about Obama. How do you know?

DeathToMediaHacks on December 27, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Shipley, very few care about what you claim to know, or don’t know. Few trust your intentions.

Likewise, the troops do not trust many. They know who has their back. Their survival depends on that. They have the perception that PE-BHO does not have their back. His past actions, campaign speeches and promises underline the fact that they are correct.

“Obama lied, the Republic died”. ( The new mantra, to replace the last six years of “Bush lied, people died”. Backlash for the left. Live with it.)

Yoop on December 27, 2008 at 12:16 PM

katy on December 27, 2008 at 12:08 PM

My apology!

N4646W on December 27, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Tom_Shipley on December 27, 2008 at 12:10 PM

I figured you would need it!

katy on December 27, 2008 at 12:17 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on December 27, 2008 at 12:11 PM

OK. Have it your way. He loves the troops and the troops love him.

JiangxiDad on December 27, 2008 at 12:19 PM

OK. Have it your way. He loves the troops and the troops love him.

JiangxiDad on December 27, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Or, more likely, each individual soldier has their own opinion about Obama and their opinions will change as they watch and see what he does.

DeathToMediaHacks on December 27, 2008 at 12:22 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on December 27, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Like with Bush, right?

JiangxiDad on December 27, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Sorry Ed, his track record on the troops speaks louder than taking an hour out of his busy vacation schedule to drop in on the Marines. No kudos from me Ed, he’s got a long, long way to go to makeup for the Landstuhl snub.

He’s president and I will give him all the respect and admiration that was accorded to George Bush for the past eight years.

johnsteele on December 27, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Obama is another long line of liberal putzes thinking there can make friends of the military that they despise. To bad he is the commander in chief chimp

grapeknutz on December 27, 2008 at 12:27 PM

DeathToMediaHacks

I’ll take a stab at that. Having served 10 years in the USAF, I happen to know that the overwhelming majority of people who serve happen to love America. They believe that God doesn’t damn America, but blesses her, instead. They don’t take kindly to individuals who show contempt and disdain for them and for their mission. You see, being in the position to contemplate really actually putting your own life at risk to save the lives and way of life of your countrymen (especially those who hate you for what you do) has a way of clarifying your views on the larger questions of life.

I know these people. I was one of these people. I was fortunate to serve under Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush. I was in the draw-down soon after Clinton took office. Believe me when I tell you I knew the difference, and those currently serving do too.

Puddleglum on December 27, 2008 at 12:29 PM

I would be willing to bet that they are probably watching to see whether or not he cuts military spending or increases it. They are probably waiting to see if they are going to get the supplies and ammo they need to protect themselves or are treated to political commentary that represents a distaste for them. They are probably observing the intentions or lack thereof of support for themselves and the job they’ve been tasked to perform. As a former Navy emlisted man I know that I would be. I was enlisted during the Carter/Reagan years. We were watching the elections closely to observe whether or not we would have fuel and ammo and other supplies or whether we would continue to need to pirate spare parts from other aircraft as we had been doing in order to keep just half of the squadron combat ready. Of course this is all just the humble opinion of someone that helped evacuate Saigon.

Vntnrse on December 27, 2008 at 12:30 PM

In the “credit where credit is due” department, credit to Ed for trying to say something positive about Obama. Of course, the reception here was rather… err… mixed. ;-)

Jazz Shaw on December 27, 2008 at 12:30 PM

from Marines greet Obama respectfully, but silently

No hopeychangey adulation from the Marines. GP has a link at the top of that post to a send-off troops in Iraq gave to Bush last week. Quite a contrast.
INC on December 26, 2008 at 8:14 PM

That comment and link is a good reply to this event. And an excellent video on that link to watch.

paulsmos on December 27, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Exactly. And again, excellent reply.

Why you need to bend over backwards to ‘give credit’ to Obama is really beyond words. Not too long ago, there was a linked story here (couldn’t find it, maybe it was a headlines page) that mentioned how Bush had visited the troops, no cameras, no press releases at all. And now, I can understand not wanting to snipe at Obama for everything, but again, there’s no need to bend over backwards to preemptively admonish your readers that we shouldn’t think bad of him, and stand up like good conservatives to give credit where it’s due when Obama does not deserve any.

wise_man on December 27, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Hear, hear. There’s always the danger of unthinking, Barack-is-Satan ODS. I don’t want to be a party to that.

One of the biggest reasons our country has been so stable over the past 220 years is the subordination of the military to civilian authority. Obama is the President-elect. Respect the office and the institutions it represents. As long as he follows the Constitution, he’s due respect for that if for absolutely nothing else.

ddrintn on December 27, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Like with Bush, right?

Exactly. I know you’re being sarcastic though. When, oh when, will you guys get over the fact that Bush took sky high approval ratings post 9/11 and made himself an incredibly unpopular President. The media didn’t do it. Americans assessed the situation and decided accordingly. It’s amazing the circular logic that’s employed by you folks. Democrats are “elitist” when they say people vote for social values issues over their economic interests. But it’s not “elitist” to claim that Americans are mindless sheep, brainwashed by the media and only conservatives understand the “real truth” about the President or the issues in general? Whatever.

You’re kidding me. When you risk your life you buy into a certain kind of ideology that justifies both the risk and the violence you are duty bound to perform? Well knock me over with a feather.

I am sure that some folks in the military, maybe even more than the average Americans, were willing to believe the lies that Obama smeared the troops in Afghanistan. As a headline, and out of context, his comments are the kind of locker room material that would get alot of people fired up. But I’m also sure that a huge percentage of the military heard all of Obama’s speech that day. A speech informed by military brass who happened to disagree with our tactics in Afghanistan circa 2007, and a speech that attacked a strategy, not the troops executing it. However you’re personal experience and politics doesn’t really speak to everyone and I think it’s a silly game to figure out who “the troops” like or don’t like. As they are individuals.

DeathToMediaHacks on December 27, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Barry took an hour out of his Christmas in Hawaii

They don’t do “Christmas”. As for the credit due,..LOL..I would love to see Barry get the real “credit” he’s due. The man has never once stepped outside his uppity world to do a dayem thing for America.Out Military owes him NOTHING! He can take this photo-opt and stick up his arse!
The members in my family dread the day they might have to actually salute this fraud.

christene on December 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM

His sky high approval went down because the libs didn’t like him fighting back, and conservatives didn’t like his free-spending. But how you think any of that effects the military’s dislike for Obama is beyond me.

JiangxiDad on December 27, 2008 at 12:47 PM

christene on December 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM

That’s a really slippery slope, though. People cringed when leftists blathered on with “Not MY President!” If we keep that sort of attitude, the end result could be juntas and coups and show trials and presidents being chosen by rioters in the streets.

ddrintn on December 27, 2008 at 12:48 PM

re: DeathToMediaHacks on December 27, 2008 at 12:41 PM
“the media didn’t do it”

HA HAAAAAAAAA
Yeah, they have no hand in it. That’s why I’ve been having to bring to my family’s attention, over and over, actual true, or positive stories about GWBush….They’re difficult to find. My family, on the other hand…watches CNN, JimLehrer,FOx News..reads the papers…but never have a clue of any good done by GW.
But the media has NOTHING to do with their outlook on GW.
Get real.

bridgetown on December 27, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Oh My! I’m sooooo impressed with the O’s extravagant show of patriotism. Foregoing Christmas services at church, Zero drove a whole 4 or 5 miles (with the press in tow), to show support for the troops…in Hawaii? Whatta guy, eh? Too bad he couldn’t be bothered to sit down and share a meal with the them. Hmm…maybe they were serving pork.

I understand he goes to the “Semper Fit” center on the Kaneohe base everyday for his workout. Gotta keep those pecs perky, ya know.

Barb Dwyer on December 27, 2008 at 12:51 PM

wise_man on December 27, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Not sure, but maybe this is what you are referring to:

califcon on December 27, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Jazz Shaw on December 27, 2008 at 12:30 PM

I’d give Ed credit if he actually found something Osama Obama did/does that is genuinely deserving of praise, and this ain’t it, no matter what The Messiah’s pet trolls say.

Now, an Obama resignation: that would be something to cheer!

MrScribbler on December 27, 2008 at 1:06 PM

He “took the time to visit our men?

He took an hour. One hour. In the middle of his Hawaiian vacation.

Wow. I’m so touched.

Meanwhile, the current office holder routinely makes surprise (read: no media around) visits to combat zones. He’s sent (with zero publicity) thousands of personal letters to soldiers’ families. And gotten zero credit.

But Obama “took the time,” huh?

Right.

Newsflash: the military adores Dubya; the military loathes Obama. And the military is right.

Soldiers and Marines are like dogs and children: they have an uncanny ability to detect sincerity. They recognize the truth.

In my own command, the anti-Obama sentiment is, as far as I can tell, universal. Every member of my platoon, and every officer above us has voiced distaste for this phony, empty suit. I’ve been shocked at some of it – they shouldn’t be sharing those opinions in a training environment.

But they have. Because their loathing overrides their military training.

Thanks for stopping by for an hour, Barrack. Now back to the beach with you. Make sure to give “People” and “US” a call so the photogs can catch you shirtless.

You chump.

Professor Blather on December 27, 2008 at 1:09 PM

It’s Kaneohe Bay. I was stationed there in the 80’s. We had politians come through all the time, guess it was a good way to take a vaction on the public’s dime and pretend like you were actually doing something for the troops.

Kahuna on December 27, 2008 at 11:10 AM

I’m a former Kailua resident and was a regular on-base at Kaneohe in the 1960s. At the time, there were still bullet holes in some of the base’s buildings from the 12/7 attacks.

O’bama’s vacation estate is only a few blocks from Kaneohe’s back gate. Even on a bad traffic day in Kailua, at the most he would take 10 minutes to get there. So it’s not as if he were going out of his way to visit the troops.

Now if he’d taken the time to drive to the other side of the island and visit our military folks at Schofield Barracks or Pearl, it might garner him some respect from me.

Del Dolemonte on December 27, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Reaching across the aisle, Ed? I don’t really think we need anymore Mavericks.

Eating had nothing to do with it. Had it been Bush they would have stood, cheered, whistled, clapped and jumped up and down.

Only their excellent training kept Obama from getting the boos and harrassment he so richly deserves.

Lynn2008 on December 27, 2008 at 1:13 PM