Quote of the day

posted at 9:30 pm on December 26, 2008 by Allahpundit

“But I’ve come to believe conservatives are right. They do love America more. Sure, we liberals claim that our love is deeper because we seek to improve the United States by pointing out its flaws. But calling your wife fat isn’t love. True love is the blind belief that your child is the smartest, cutest, most charming person in the world, one you would gladly die for. I’m more in ‘like’ with my country

I asked Beck why Democrats rarely share his overwhelming sense of American exceptionalism and Francophobia. ‘I think it’s because in the late 1800s up until the 1930s, the progressive movement started to think the European ideals are pretty good, that it’s one big world,’ he said. ‘Well, it’s not. If you look at all the countries like people, there are differences between people. And I happen to like this person the best.’ When I look at the countries like people, I love Sweden the best.”

Comments

Feel free, Joel, GTFO. We’ll spring for the one way ticket.

john1schn on December 26, 2008 at 9:35 PM

At least he’s honest.

jgapinoy on December 26, 2008 at 9:40 PM

One of the surest signs of love is it makes you talk stupid.

Then this Stien moron loves America. Almost needed a stiff drink to finish his drivel.

Tommy_G on December 26, 2008 at 9:40 PM

…Rare for a lib.

jgapinoy on December 26, 2008 at 9:41 PM

There are more admissions between the lines than within.

stonemeister on December 26, 2008 at 9:43 PM

I didn’t read the piece, I just recognize the head-shot as the jerk who authored the “No, I do not support our troops” column of times past.

Marcus on December 26, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Dumbass thing to say for a Jew. If he’d been in one of the other paradises,he’d be a lampshade. Come to think of it, I’m fairly certain some of his Euro-relatives are.

JiangxiDad on December 26, 2008 at 9:44 PM

JiangxiDad on December 26, 2008 at 9:44 PM

He’s got the intelligence of a lampshade, that’s saying something…

john1schn on December 26, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Sweden? Really?

flipflop on December 26, 2008 at 9:46 PM

This doesn’t mean I’m not fascinated by American history, impressed by our Constitution or don’t appreciate our optimism and entrepreneurial spirit. – Joel Stein

Ummmmmmm…………. yes it does, as#-clown, just read to the end of your own article……….

“I’ll never experience the joy of Hannity-level patriotism. I’m the type who always wonders if some other idea or place or system is better and I’m missing out.”

In this article, Joel, you’ve admitted to ignorance on a number of things, the most important, you don’t know the true history of the United States of America………..

……………. the second, you’ve never been camping in your life.

There’s the door…………….. don’t let it hit you in the A#s on the way out.

Seven Percent Solution on December 26, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Francophobia??? WTF!!! I was born in France.

What Joel is lusting for is the European elitism that makes Francophobia real and why elitist Europeans have disdain for American exceptionalism.

And she’s still fat too, I’ll bet.

Kini on December 26, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Sweden? Really?

flipflop on December 26, 2008 at 9:46 PM

He meant liberal-lie/msm Sweden, not real Sweden, which is likely to be the first Islamic country west of Kosovo. Dumbasses do that :)

JiangxiDad on December 26, 2008 at 9:49 PM

And another thing lefties say is that we are a democracy. We ain’t no stinking democracy, well not yet.

Alex Martinez on December 26, 2008 at 9:49 PM

JiangxiDad on December 26, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Out here in La-la Land, wealthy, “liberal” Jews are usually among the first to defend, support or raise money for their would-be killers, so Stein is merely prattling on in a fashionable vein.

The last copy of the LAT will be bought on the Westside, probably by some some socially-conscious Jew heading off to an Osama Obama fundraiser.

MrScribbler on December 26, 2008 at 9:50 PM

From Wikipedia:

Cold War
Sweden publicly claimed to be a neutral country and the image was forcefully maintained, but unofficially Sweden’s leadership had strong ties with the United States. In the early 1960s Sweden and the United States agreed to deploy nuclear submarines off the Swedish west coast. In the same year Sweden made a defense pact with the United States. Knowledge of this alliance was kept secret from the Swedish public until 1994.

Sweden sounds like a sneaky bastard that hides things from his own

And this:

WWIISweden remained officially neutral during World War I and World War II, although its neutrality during World War II has been vigorously debated.[26][27] Sweden was under German influence for most of the war, as ties to the rest of the world were cut off through blockades.[26] The Swedish government felt that it was in no position to openly contest Germany,[28] and therefore collaborated with Hitler.[29] Swedish volunteers in Nazi SS units were among the first to invade the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa.

Yeah, Sweden sounds like a real stand-up guy.

What a moron.

jimmy the notable on December 26, 2008 at 9:51 PM

The last copy of the LAT NT Times will be bought on the Westside, probably by some some socially-conscious Jew heading off to an Osama Obama fundraiser.

Mirror image.

JiangxiDad on December 26, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Should be NY Times

JiangxiDad on December 26, 2008 at 9:52 PM

When I look at the countries like people, I love Sweden the best.

Telling.
Where I to try to discribe the kind of person Sweden would be…
…I would probably get in trouble.

Count to 10 on December 26, 2008 at 9:54 PM

So he loves Sweden best, eh?

From Gates of Vienna:

Their Swedish correspondent emailed them yesterday:

New riots in Tensta, Stockholm tonight 24-25 — lots of fires and explosives, burning tires and cars. Police say the age of rioters is 13 to 16. Two outbursts — then nothing at 1:00 a.m. — then the police went home; new riots started at 6:00 this morning.

Earlier this year:

In June a former UN officer formulated the whole horror scenario in a very unusual article: Sweden on the road to disaster.

INC on December 26, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Where I to try to discribe the kind of person Sweden would be…
…I would probably get in trouble.

If you do, both burka and burqua are correct.

JiangxiDad on December 26, 2008 at 9:56 PM

If he’d been in one of the other paradises,he’d be a lampshade.

JiangxiDad on December 26, 2008 at 9:44 PM

How awful to compare him to a lampshade.
I would use Gefilte Fish as a better comparison.

Kini on December 26, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Google muslim rape wave Sweden

JiangxiDad on December 26, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I accused Beck of loving America just out of birthplace convenience, which is kind of like loving the girl who happens to sit in front of you in homeroom.

So, how does Stein explain my love for America? I’m an immigrant from Nicaragua. My family moved to the US in 1987. I enlisted in the US Army when I was a legal resident, not a citizen, of the US. I then applied for citizenship, went to college, became an officer and served in Iraq and Afghanistan. I love my country so much I volunteer to risk my life for her sake, and I agree with most conservatives that it is the greatest nation in history, and that we need to keep it that way.

I give Stein credit for finally admitting the obvious – that liberals don’t love America. But he needs to go further and stop making excuses for his lack of patriotic love. Then he needs to do what my parents did and move to the country which he believes best fits his ideals.

OscarSchneegans on December 26, 2008 at 9:58 PM

OscarSchneegans on December 26, 2008 at 9:58 PM

He’s busy helping to make that new country right here.

(And thank you!)

JiangxiDad on December 26, 2008 at 10:00 PM

If you do, both burka and burqua are correct.

JiangxiDad on December 26, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Actually, I wasn’t aware of that problem when I wrote that. I was thinking more the 80% tax bracket, and what we think of those who are frivolous with other people’s money.
The Nobel Peace Prize being given to gangsters and tyrants doesn’t help, either.

Count to 10 on December 26, 2008 at 10:03 PM

What a tool.

RightOFLeft on December 26, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Stein reminds me of the those liberals that want everyone to like them. That they would gladly give up their own freedoms and lifestyles in order to better assimilate into an immigrants multicultural attitudes.

Try that with Shira law.

Kini on December 26, 2008 at 10:06 PM

OscarSchneegans on December 26, 2008 at 9:58 PM

OS, you have more love for your country than many of the people that were born here, and needless to say, more guts. Thank you for your love of country and service to it!

john1schn on December 26, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Count to 10 on December 26, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Those issues will be looked upon as the good old days.

As immigrants pour in, native Swedes pour out. How long before Sweden becomes a Sharia state?

JiangxiDad on December 26, 2008 at 10:09 PM

OscarSchneegans on December 26, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Yes, thank you!

INC on December 26, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Gates of Vienna has a translation of a Swedish Op-Ed up (it looks like the emphasis is from the op-ed). The Swede who translated it says,

“It is, I suppose, just on the border of what officially can be printed, without the author being symbolically decapitated — probably you must be an old fox in the publishing world like Ulf Nilsson to get away with partially telling the truth like this.”

As you read the op-ed, you can tell that Nilsson is obviously trying to avoid coming right out and saying the Muslim immigrants are rioting.

INC on December 26, 2008 at 10:11 PM

JiangxiDad on December 26, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Okay, other people’s money, being weakened by foreign bodies, yah, there is a type of person that describes.
Or, maybe I should say an old profession.

Count to 10 on December 26, 2008 at 10:16 PM

There seems to often be a big difference between “Loving America” as a concept, as in say loving America’s Constitution and nationhood and “Loving America”, as in “Loving Americans”, as in just in general and “Loving America/Americans depending on how the majority of Americans voted last time around. The three are not the same.

Down the road from me is a house where they have a lot of American flags. They also have a lot of keep out signs and a couple of big dogs. Do they love America? Do the love Americans?

MB4 on December 26, 2008 at 10:17 PM

MB4 on December 26, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Maybe they have a reason to have big dogs and keep out signs. Having them does not necessarily diminish or enhance their love of country.

john1schn on December 26, 2008 at 10:23 PM

OT: at the bottom of this page Yahoo has the link to the Johnston lady’s arrest labeled as: “Bristol Palin Drug Arrest: Trooper Says Election Delayed Case.” Yahoo still hasn’t gotten the memo that BRISTOL wasn’t remotely involved. How do they get away with this stuff???

hoosiermama on December 26, 2008 at 10:24 PM

. Do they love America? Do the love Americans?

MB4 on December 26, 2008 at 10:17 PM

I would say they love American and love select Americans.

Yes, the three are not the same, but I believe the term love is in a broader context as in the Life, Liberty and pursuit of Happiness. I know people that loath the United States, but continue to invite their American friends to parties.

Kini on December 26, 2008 at 10:26 PM

john1schn on December 26, 2008 at 10:23 PM

You might be right. They might be wanting to keep out Russians. No wait, they had all the keep out signs and the big dogs before Russia invaded Georgia. I dunno, maybe they love America but hate Americans.

MB4 on December 26, 2008 at 10:27 PM

MB4 on December 26, 2008 at 10:17 PM

john1schn on December 26, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Well thats the great thing about being an American. You can live as you please.

Alex Martinez on December 26, 2008 at 10:27 PM

MB4 on December 26, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Maybe they just don’t like you…

john1schn on December 26, 2008 at 10:28 PM

I love the freedom from fear, affluence and history of this nation, so that is now a hard right position. On the bright side the victory of the Democrats is allowing the left to show its true colors even more then usual, it will aid in our victory down the road.

rob verdi on December 26, 2008 at 10:29 PM

That really burns me. You’re not willing to die for your child because s/he is the cutest, most charming, etc. You’re willing because the child is yours, your responsibility, your obligation.

Anwyn on December 26, 2008 at 10:29 PM

I wish I felt such certainty. Sure, it makes life less interesting and nuanced, and absolute conviction can lead to dangerous extremism, but I suspect it makes people happier. I’ll never experience the joy of Hannity-level patriotism. I’m the type who always wonders if some other idea or place or system is better and I’m missing out. And, as I figured out shortly after meeting my wife, that is no way to love.

I appreciate this guys honesty and through that we see what’s at the heart of the liberal. Uncertainty and a lack of conviction on what it means to be American which leads to unhappiness in being grounded in nothing more than a longing for an ideal.

What is pathetic is in his last line he concludes that his whole premise is flawed. WOW! And in 3 weeks these people will take the US on a magical mystery tour into the abyss of Joel Stein’s cognitive dissonance on a grand scale

katy on December 26, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Kini on December 26, 2008 at 10:26 PM

As for myself I love America’s constitution and nationhood and most of it’s history.

American’s in general? After the choice that Republican Americans made for the Republican nominee and the choice that Americans made in the general election and all manor of various and assorted scalawags that they have elected/selected to the Senate, well not so much.

MB4 on December 26, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Libs are wrong even when they try to compliment conservatives.

The truth is we don’t blindly love anything, we only love the best, most exceptional and right Constitution, on earth.

The man who prefers his country before any other duty shows the same spirit as the man who surrenders every right to the state. They both deny that right is superior to authority.
Lord Acton

We’re not in love with a nation, we love liberty and and refuse to surrender it to socialism.

Speakup on December 26, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Maybe they just don’t like you…

john1schn on December 26, 2008 at 10:28 PM

I live quite a ways up the road from them so I don’t think that’s it.

MB4 on December 26, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Lord Acton

Speakup on December 26, 2008 at 10:35 PM

My kind of loyalty was to one’s country, not to its institutions or its officeholders. The country is the real thing, the substantial thing, the eternal thing; it is the thing to watch over, and care for, and be loyal to. Institutions are extraneous, they are its mere clothing, and clothing can wear out, become ragged, cease to be comfortable, cease to protect the body from winter, disease, and death.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on December 26, 2008 at 10:44 PM

They do love America more.

I’d rather love her, yes, MB4, the concept and what she’s stood for, so far, or her idealism, than love a narcissistic cipher, based on absolutely nothing, a socialistic Europe, with a big mouth, and not more than Utopian idealistic one-world bull Sierra, PC, a worthless U.N., our cojoneless media and ‘leaders’. She goes the way of Rome and it’s sad to watch.

MB4 on December 26, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Sadly, I have to concur, though I never thought that I would. 2008 provided me with overwhelming and undeniable proof.

Entelechy on December 26, 2008 at 10:48 PM

OscarSchneegans

Not for the first time does a HA comment restore my faith.

CarolynM on December 26, 2008 at 10:48 PM

What Stein didn’t really get into his moronic article is that liberals not only don’t love America, liberals are embarrassed by America (as Michelle Obama so nicely pointed out) and think that most of what America does is wrong – the same attitude that the hippies had about their parents, not at all rational and always biased towards the negative. Liberals think that what we have in America just came into being, all by itself.

Well, at least I can thank Stein for admitting the obvious truth that liberals don’t love America. It’s about time that one of them had the guts to admit what we all know to be true (one of many such things). That’s something he can speak with his fellow travelers about, on his emigration flight to Sweden. I wish him good travels, as long as he leaves pretty soon.

progressoverpeace on December 26, 2008 at 10:49 PM

I live quite a ways up the road from them so I don’t think that’s it.

MB4 on December 26, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Well, then, maybe they just like dogs and hate salesmen.

Or maybe, they are trying out for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Next Generation!

john1schn on December 26, 2008 at 10:51 PM

I commend Stein on his honesty, while at the same time I cringe because this comes from a member of the Tribe – a**holes like Stein help to justify the ravings of idiots like C4.

holdfast on December 26, 2008 at 11:00 PM

progressoverpeace on December 26, 2008 at 10:49 PM

So you are saying that the brats are afflicted with immature child/parent syndrome. They have never really grown up and furthermore they get mad at their substitute government parent for not doing enough for them. No mater how much, it’s never enough. Yes, you are probably right in your diagnosis. I will have to see if their is some kind of drug to treat their malady otherwise electroshock therapy will have to do.

Sigmund on December 26, 2008 at 11:07 PM

There is only one phrase that comes to mind (and it’s not meant in a homophobic way, but in the Louis CK way:) Stein is a little f*ggot, in the sense of being as unmanly and as puerile as possible. This column is a sequel to his infamous “I don’t support the troops” screed and was written for the same reason: for effect, and to get attention. I don’t think he really believes what he writes here (this is a common affliction for liberals, for whom words are just words and have no real consequences.) If there were, God forbid, another terrorist attack and little Joel actually felt threatened, he would be reciting the Pledge of Allegiance faster than anyone else.

WasatchMan on December 26, 2008 at 11:20 PM

WasatchMan on December 26, 2008 at 11:20 PM

I don’t know if he’s coordinated enough to recite the Pledge of Allegiance AND crap his diaper at the same time.

john1schn on December 26, 2008 at 11:23 PM

MrScribbler

Spot on…and not just wealthy west coast Jews. My NY Jewish friends have blinders on also; falling all over themselves trying to blame anyone but the Muslim terrorists in Mumbai for the rampage.

Kini

I disagree. Liberals wouldn’t give up a nonfat latte never mind one single concession to their privileged lifestyles.

CarolynM on December 26, 2008 at 11:30 PM

OOOoooooooooooooooooooooh,now I get it!

That was very tricky I must say,everbody
knows that Sweden is one of Obama’s other
7 States!

And,on a clear night,I can see Sweden from
my kitchen window in Canada!!(Snark!)A Hem:)

canopfor on December 26, 2008 at 11:34 PM

When I look at the countries like people, I love Sweden the best.”

Please may I recommend Malmo as a good city to move to.

Caper29 on December 26, 2008 at 11:40 PM

When I look at the countries like people, I love Sweden the best.”

Well, Sweden has one really important export. I couldn’t blame him for that.

john1schn on December 26, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Please may I recommend Malmo as a good city to move to.

Caper29 on December 26, 2008 at 11:40 PM

Excellent idea. And for Mrs. Stein, might I suggest wearing your hair loose and flowing and a low v-cut. The locals in Malmo love a woman with a flair for free and easy fashion.
Especially those “Swedish” youth.

CarolynM on December 26, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Especially those “Swedish” youth.

CarolynM on December 26, 2008 at 11:48 PM

…and, Mrs. Stein? Make sure you travel through Malmo with men, especially if your husband is not accompanying you.

john1schn on December 26, 2008 at 11:54 PM

CarolynM on December 26, 2008 at 11:30 PM

There has to be limits, of course. ~_^
But what can one do about a Walt Disney view of how the world works.

Kini on December 27, 2008 at 12:03 AM

What a moron.

jimmy the notable on December 26, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Not to mention, a Quisling. Of course Norway is close to Sweden.

Johan Klaus on December 27, 2008 at 12:11 AM

I knew it was Stein just by reading the excerpt. His stuff reads like a 14 year-old girl’s diary confessional.

I still can’t believe he actually gets paid for this passive aggressive pap. Creepy, insecure man-child gonna remake this nation, folks! Whatever, Joel. You just keep telling yourself that it’s brave and noble work you’re doing. Tool.

Kadnine on December 27, 2008 at 12:12 AM

john1schn on December 26, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Right..right..good advice. Um, Mrs. Stein? Are you getting this all down? It would probably be best if your father, uncle or son accompanied you should Mr. Stein be busy making love to Sweden, but hey, it’s Sweden, man. Land of the most beautiful tall turtlenecked sweater wearing laid backed hippies…should family members be unavailable, just go down to the local falafel stand and hang with the Swedes. They may be a little swarthier than you remember and they may call you an infidel whore and beat you with sticks but remember, this is the country your husband loves.

CarolynM on December 27, 2008 at 12:19 AM

MB4 on December 26, 2008 at 10:17 PM

They probably love the freedom to do what they want to do and they want to keep their belongings.

Johan Klaus on December 27, 2008 at 12:20 AM

I love Texas. I have got my dogs and my guns.

Johan Klaus on December 27, 2008 at 12:22 AM

MB4 on December 26, 2008 at 10:17 PM

The dogs are secertly dating their cats. Thus the keep out signs.

Seriously, I just learned my neighbors house was broken into tonight. When we first moved here, people gave us advice, put up a fence and get dogs, big dogs.

I don’t blame your neighbors for being protective of their stuff. I would do the same thing.

Kini on December 27, 2008 at 12:27 AM

And how much of an idiot do you have to be to want some other kind of person raising that child? or running this country?

Ronnie on December 27, 2008 at 12:27 AM

I, on the other hand, just feel lucky to have grown up in a wealthy democracy. If it had been Australia, Britain, Ireland, Canada, Italy, Spain, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Japan, Israel or one of those Scandinavian countries…..that would have been fine with me too.

And to whom do so many of these other “wealthy democrac(ies)” owe their very existence? Three guesses, and the first two don’t count.

cinnabar on December 27, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Fox News’ Sean Hannity loves this country so much, he did an entire episode of “Hannity’s America” titled “The Greatest Nation on Earth.” In that one hour he said, several times, “the U.S. is the greatest, best country God has ever given man on the face of the Earth.” One of the surest signs of love is it makes you talk stupid.

So asslick! Can you name another country better?

conservnut on December 27, 2008 at 12:40 AM

cinnabar on December 27, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Well, there is, uh and uh………

Johan Klaus on December 27, 2008 at 12:42 AM

So asslick! Can you name another country better?

conservnut on December 27, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Well, there apparently is another country just like America but with 7 more states, so it must be 14% better by my math.

Cheshire Cat on December 27, 2008 at 1:11 AM

Sounds like this shallow fellow has never lived in any of his “other” countries long enough to grasp the essential difference between a land built on the Constitutional realization that we Americans are endowed with inborn, inalienable rights and freedoms, while the situtation everywhere else is:

~their “liberties” are not inherent, but are dangerously contingent on the current ruling elite’s latest proclamations.

He needs to get out more.

How can you not love America and the genius of its founders… and all of the defenders of their brilliance, ever since… profoundly?

profitsbeard on December 27, 2008 at 1:19 AM

People who never been outside our borders aside from tourists resorts have absolutely NO CLUE as to how good they have it here. Our homeless have a better standard of living than those in some of the countries I have been in. I’ve been over the fence, and the grass is definately greener here. Anyone who argues we (United States) should be more like another country, is a complete and total moron.

I always loved America, but that love grew when I saw more of the rest of the world. There are some real armpits out there, you can barely turn around without sticking your face into one.

Hog Wild on December 27, 2008 at 1:22 AM

Sigmund on December 26, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Actually, cigarettes would be very effective in smoothing out their daily behavior (due to, both, the psychoactive effects of nicotine and the liberal’s need to never feel “left out” of any group) so they would be much less annoying in public.

But … since they have set out to kill cigarettes (because their parents were cigarette smokers and anything that would take away some of daddy’s pleasures must be a good thing) that only leaves the electroshock. Liberals are always their own worst enemy. Juice ‘em up, and let me know if you get any positive results.

progressoverpeace on December 27, 2008 at 2:02 AM

katy on December 26, 2008 at 10:30 PM

+10.

This is Hall of Fame material. How about it, Allah? Got room on the server for a virtual museum of top quality comments?

platypus on December 27, 2008 at 2:41 AM

Joel Stein
“I, on the other hand, just feel lucky to have grown up in a wealthy democracy. If it had been Australia, Britain, Ireland, Canada, Italy, Spain, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Japan, Israel or one of those Scandinavian countries with more relaxed attitudes toward sex, that would have been fine with me too”

So what “wealthy democracy” did you grow up in?

Certainly not the USA as we are a Republic not a Democracy.

You did know that right?

DSchoen on December 27, 2008 at 2:49 AM

Joel Stein
“I love that the Pilgrims didn’t want to come here, but they came here because they felt prompted to by God. There’s always been a spirit of adventure and awe in this land. And I don’t think any other country has that.” Beck, it seemed, loves America the same way little boys love camping”

Then again when ya think about it, all those Europeans at that time looked around their own European countries, with their European cities, cultures, homes with 4 walls and a roof, infrastructure and said “dang I’d rather sail thousands of miles across an ocean, set up camp with nothing! than hang around these Europeans”

Strange, even today more folks want to get into the USA than want out of the USA.

Guess those early settlers weren’t “liberals or progressives”

DSchoen on December 27, 2008 at 2:50 AM

Joel Stein
“These are the people who are sure Christianity is the only right religion, that America is the best country, that the Republicans have the only good candidates, that gays have cooties”

Is this an example of your own “intellectual laziness”?
Or have you actually talked to say 50 million folks, face to face, so you know everyone of them thinks exactly the same?

Joel Stein
“absolute conviction can lead to dangerous extremism”

Yes it does, and that’s true on the left or the right, strange you don’t see that.

DSchoen on December 27, 2008 at 2:52 AM

Joel Stein
“I’m the type who always wonders if some other idea or place or system is better and I’m missing out”

What’s stopping ya?

Seriously, what’s stopping you?

DSchoen on December 27, 2008 at 2:53 AM

Certainly not the USA as we are a Republic not a Democracy.

You did know that right?

DSchoen on December 27, 2008 at 2:49 AM

They really don’t know. The party names tell the whole story, in a nutshell. We are for the Republic that was built and they are for a Democracy, instead. I have to say that George Bush was no help, at all, in this respect – and neither was McCain with his “League of Democracies” … sheesh.

progressoverpeace on December 27, 2008 at 3:03 AM

Joel Stein – Glass half empty people

Kini on December 27, 2008 at 3:09 AM

cinnabar on December 27, 2008 at 12:28 AM

If it were not for the USA not a single one of them would exist as democracies today, let alone wealthy democracies.

Like most “progressives” Joel Stein is clearly a myopic moron.

DarkCurrent on December 27, 2008 at 5:46 AM

God Bless America! Those three words really get to the Libs.

Done That on December 27, 2008 at 6:35 AM

Tripe alert! Don’t spend the time! You can’t retrieve this part of your life and don’t need it reading this moron!

sabbott on December 27, 2008 at 7:52 AM

Joel – conservatives dont cut and run when their guy loses an election. We prefer to stand and fight. Contrary to the liberal worldview, there are things worth fighting for. Liberals on the other hand, the very concept of fighting is anathema to them. It’s better to run away. But I never see you leaving, Joel. Oh, I hear the threats, but when are you actually going to pack up and leave? You and your ilk are cowards, Joel. Can I can that loud enough? COWARDS! You only stand for your beliefs if there is no danger or inconvenience to you. You all are sissies, Joel. There are planes leaving for Sweden every day, Joel. Why dont you be a man and get on one? Just remember this – America has never had a wholesale round up and slaughter of the Jews. The countries you mentioned as “maybe being better” than America have. Just keep that in mind.
As for me, I’ll make my stand where I always have – right at my front door.

abcurtis on December 27, 2008 at 8:13 AM

Liberals only survive when they destroy the male role model….

God (through moral relativism)….fathers (through nanny state welfare)….husbands (through feminism)….male procreation (through sexual relativism in the form of gay activism)….the protector of the family (accusing men of being war mongers)…..

They encourage behavior and ideals that work toward castrating the role of men.

csdeven on December 27, 2008 at 8:25 AM

…countries with more relaxed attitudes toward sex, that would have been fine with me too”

Why is it with liberals everything comes down to sex? And they talk about us conservatives being obsessed with it.

abcurtis on December 27, 2008 at 8:27 AM

In love with the ideas of freedom, responsibility and hope expressed by the original founders. Disgusted with current corrupted America as it’s corrupted leaders, and it’s gimme gimme populous take away more and more of my freedoms and hope each passing day.

Socmodfiscon on December 27, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Just an aside if those PoS’s go after my retirement account I will seriously consider denouncing my citizenship. Costa Rica perhaps.

Socmodfiscon on December 27, 2008 at 8:33 AM

This was the same Sweden that had a “understanding” with Hitler and to stay neutral during the war

rob verdi on December 27, 2008 at 8:43 AM

People like Joel Stein do not appreciate how good they have it. If he lived in a lot of other nations, he would not have the freedom to criticize that nation and look down condescendingly at people that love their homeland.

Please leave, Joel. I hear there’s an opening in Time’s Tehran Bureau. People are dying to share their opinions there. And don’t let the screen door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya.

kingsjester on December 27, 2008 at 9:26 AM

There’s the door…………….. don’t let it hit you in the A#s on the way out.

Seven Percent Solution on December 26, 2008 at 9:48 PM

AZCoyote on December 27, 2008 at 10:07 AM

That may be a good thing long term for America.

As Sweden, Holland, Denmark, France and of course the UK become majority Muslim, millions of native Europeans will flee to the US. And just like ex-E. Europe Americans would rather eat glass than go back to communism, so will these new refugees be loathe to let the same thing happen here. So assuming we can get through the next 8 years with BHO – a big, big assumption – the 2020s and beyond might have a bright spot.

angryed on December 27, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Joel Stein is ShamWow. (I mean that in a functional sense – not to discredit the TV ad product that sucks up tripe.) Check his bio; he grew up in Edison, NJ but his heart belongs to, you L.A. Times reader? His heart obviously belongs to himself but he wants to offer us glimpses of the puny organ for longer than 15 minutes and many times more than once. How can you write stuff like this without looking down your nose at all of us for approval?

ericdijon on December 27, 2008 at 10:56 AM

profitsbeard on December 27, 2008 at 1:19 AM

Because liberalism is an incurable Utopian derangement.

Entelechy on December 27, 2008 at 3:39 PM

His understanding of love is at least half the problem. Cf. Chesterton’s discourse on Pimlico (an ugly London neighborhood) in Orthodoxy:

It is not enough for a man to disapprove of Pimlico: in that case he will merely cut his throat or move to Chelsea. Nor, certainly, is it enough for a man to approve of Pimlico: for then it will remain Pimlico, which would be awful. The only way out of it seems to be for somebody to love Pimlico: to love it with a transcendental tie and without any earthly reason. If there arose a man who loved Pimlico, then Pimlico would rise into ivory towers and golden pinnacles; Pimlico would attire herself as a woman does when she is loved. For decoration is not given to hide horrible things: but to decorate things already adorable. A mother does not give her child a blue bow because he is so ugly without it. A lover does not give a girl a necklace to hide her neck. If men loved Pimlico as mothers love children, arbitrarily, because it is theirs, Pimlico in a year or two might be fairer than Florence. Some readers will say that this is a mere fantasy. I answer that this is the actual history of mankind. This, as a fact, is how cities did grow great. Go back to the darkest roots of civilization and you will find them knotted round some sacred stone or encircling some sacred well. People first paid honour to a spot and afterwards gained glory for it. Men did not love Rome because she was great. She was great because they had loved her.

automatthew on December 29, 2008 at 1:09 PM