Tee hee: Palin’s sort of “palling around” with drug dealers now, notes Olby

posted at 4:03 pm on December 20, 2008 by Allahpundit

An important lesson on guilt by association from a man who surely never would have objected if John McCain had once worked with, say, an unrepentant abortion clinic bomber. I can’t decide which part is my favorite: Is it Kayo comparing The One’s knowing, voluntarily association with a terrorist to Palin being saddled months ago with an in-law who was busted just this week? Or is it him using Palin’s own supposed lack of empathy to declare open season on this story, replete with nasty drug jokes from an actual comedian about what Bristol Palin’s baby should be named? It gets tiresome pointing out Olbypocrisy, but try to imagine his reaction if one of Joe Biden’s in-laws was arrested for possession and O’Reilly spent a segment overtly goofing on it.

Oh, and this being “Countdown,” there’s at least one key detail that’s hugely misleading. Turns out Sherry Johnston apparently wasn’t busted for meth but for oxycontin. Olby could have waited to find that out instead of speculating, but why bother when meth jokes are so much more fun? That’s the Murrow way, after all.

Update: In case it’s not clear, I believe this aired on Thursday night’s show, not last night’s.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

That’s better than hanging out with old Drunks from Chappaquidick. At least nobody was killed in this incident.

Herb on December 21, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Anyone able to count the number of Kennedys who are/were alcoholics/drug addicts/men who cheated with their namnnies/ strangeled their neighbors/etc? Palin’s circle is nothing compared to the dysfunctional Kennedy one.

katiejane on December 21, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Don’t forget rapists! There was William Kennedy Smith.

And to top it all off, their patriarch was a Nazi sympathizer.

ramrocks on December 21, 2008 at 12:08 PM

He is last in the Ratings.
That’s all that matters.

Firebird on December 21, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Yeah, even Maddow beats him. That must really annoy him. Heh.

ramrocks on December 21, 2008 at 12:14 PM

“countdown to no ratings”

- Mark Levin

joey24007 on December 21, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Olbermann is a characature, a fraud, a liar – a joke.

marklmail on December 21, 2008 at 12:27 PM

MSNBC’s ratings are going to tank even more. Without President Bush whom do they spit upon? As one writer here observed, they are fully invested in the invading Democrats, so they can’t attack The One. Or the other ones.

Unless our beloved new leaders start messing with the law or the ratings system(s) the CNN and MSNBC people are going to change. A political intervention is their only hope.

I was a Nielson house for years. I think they wanted Fox News to look bad. But I am paranoid.

IlikedAUH2O on December 21, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Um yeah, all one has to do is look into Biden’s neice….funny you brought that up…..

Butters on December 21, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Guilt by association? Ad hominem attacks?.. No journalistic standards here.

epb on December 21, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Yeah, no one ever seems to mention Mr. Biden’s brother, Frank, who supposedly killed someone in a hit and run some years ago in CA and never served time or paid off the lawsuit from the family of the victim I really could care less about this since Joe Biden is not responsible for his bothers actions, but I do get tired about the attacks against Republicans/conservatives when a similar incident crops up with their relatives.

amr on December 21, 2008 at 1:22 PM

I wonder if George will pardon Laura for her murder of Michael Douglas on a Texas highway?

Vernon Hardapple on December 21, 2008 at 1:24 PM

People still watch that fool and nbc or msnbc.I don’t even watch FOX unless it’s something really important.

Necromancer on December 21, 2008 at 1:48 PM

And to top it all off, their patriarch was a Nazi sympathizer.

ramrocks on December 21, 2008 at 12:08 PM

And a bootlegger to boot. I.e. a 1930′s drug dealer.

Squiggy on December 21, 2008 at 2:14 PM

ramrocks on December 21, 2008 at 1:46 AM

I was born in Monroe, Michigan. I have a friend in L.A. he is a photographer. Was the first Photographer allowed to shoot the Shroud. He also was with National Geographic. He lives in Scientology town also. He stays clear.

sheebe on December 21, 2008 at 2:00 AM

Saw the Shroud documentary on NatGeo. I betcha I saw him. Very interesting piece indeed.

I will go off to Team Sarah see if Bristol had her baby yet…brb.

ProudPalinFan on December 21, 2008 at 3:07 PM

olbermann = visual syrup of ipecac

lexa on December 21, 2008 at 3:28 PM

I will go off to Team Sarah see if Bristol had her baby yet…brb.

ProudPalinFan on December 21, 2008 at 3:07 PM

His name is Barry Schwartz. He has been on O Reilly factor before. His name is no secret. He is Jewish. But when he got to shoot and investigate the Shroud. He turned into a Christian. He said he experienced feelings he had never had before. He does conferences on The Shroud. He also is still doing research to this day on it. He is a wonderful man and friend.

sheebe on December 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Didn’t read the comments- don’t care. This isn’t even a real in-law situation since (as far as I know) the marriage hasn’t even happened.

Just this one parting shot as “families” gather this week for Christmas. How many families are so pure that there is absolutely no embarassment? That isn’t the way families work. Granted, it doesn’t always involve pending criminal charges for a potential in-law but please point me to the perfect family without sin. Jesus/Joseph/Mary notwithstanding.

highhopes on December 21, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Vernon Hardapple on December 21, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Oh for God’s sake! The Bushes are about to leave office and you are still cranking out this kind of crap?

Far better to speculate if Obama- a filthy mobbed up politician will start office pardoning all the terrorists, anarchists, and other fifth columnists that are part of his past.

highhopes on December 21, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Keith Olberwoman is a pathological liar and needs to be jacked in the jaw.

nelsonknows on December 21, 2008 at 6:06 PM

OLBY is ILL

Jamson64 on December 21, 2008 at 8:03 PM

I thought drug users were victims of an oppressive society and that they are heroes and role models to good little liberals.

I am so confused now…

Grafted on December 21, 2008 at 8:06 PM

I love that Finnegan thinks Alaska is somewhere in western Ireland.

Tanya on December 21, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Grafted on December 21, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Only if they kill a cop while resisting arrest. Or if they are Hollywood celebrities.

ramrocks on December 21, 2008 at 8:22 PM

I would make a comment here, but it would be censored by the moderators. I have no kind words for Olberdouche.

MsUnderestimated on December 21, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Someone needs to investigate this asshat clown and his sidekick Matthews I bet they both have a trunk load of little boys underwear and old Playgirls stashed somewhere.
Two such insignificant fools this mentally disadvantaged surely are sexually repressed deviants.

dhunter on December 21, 2008 at 9:27 PM

olbermann = visual syrup of ipecac

lexa on December 21, 2008 at 3:28 PM

I couldn’t stand Olbermann even when he was just rattling off scores on ESPN. Could. Not. Stand. Him.

ddrintn on December 21, 2008 at 9:30 PM

MsUnderestimated on December 21, 2008 at 8:56 PM

I tried it was censured. Hows’ come these leftwing nutcases can spew whatever filth they want and when we respond we are censored. It wasn’t really anything bad just the idea that Olberidiot must prefer little boys to fullgrown girls.

dhunter on December 21, 2008 at 9:30 PM

Vernon Hardapple on December 21, 2008 at 1:24 PM

I wonder if Presidents can pardon for lethal stupidity? You might want to ask.

Noelie on December 21, 2008 at 10:08 PM

I’ll say something nice about Olbermann, he is a whiz at baseball facts and history. I used to listen to the Dan Patrick Show (I think I’m the only gal that listens to sports radio) when Patrick had his show on ESPN radio. When Olbermann was on his show for an hour, I would listen just for the latest news on baseball and his opinions.
But he ruined the show for me when he started mixing politics in the conversation and slamming republicans/conservatives and the NY Post, since it is the only paper that actually attacks Overbite for the scum he is.
I remember Luis Gonzalez (when he was in the Arizona Diamondbacks) was on Patrick’s radio show and was asked whether he would want to meet President Bush or someone else I forget. Gonzalez said President Bush automatically because he loves the guy, is a big supporter, and admires him. Olbermann must have been having a heart attack listening to that response. He was weirdly silent throughout the interview.
LOL, it takes a baseball player to shut him up.

jencab on December 21, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Ta daaa!! That’s why Olberdoodoo is still ranting about non stories of Sarah Palin.

I wish oh how I wish Olby would get caught doing something truly heinous. That would make my year!

4shoes on December 21, 2008 at 11:18 PM

jencab on December 21, 2008 at 10:49 PM

If only he had stayed in sportscasting instead of trying to be the Edward R. Murrow of his generation. His Murrow fixation is utterly pathetic. Enough with the damn pinstriped suits and the faux 50s news set look.

ramrocks on December 21, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Every time I’m watching Sunday Night Football (like tonight for instance) I’m so careful to quickly change the channel when they go to studio just so I don’t have to see Olby whine. Ew. He disgusts me.

hockey2k5 on December 22, 2008 at 12:58 AM

But racists, terrorists, anti-Semites, and now corrupt governors aren’t any big deal – and this was Obama associating himself with these people before, during, and sometimes after their true natures were shown.

YoungAmerican on December 22, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Democrat President for Life FDR was a GREAT politician & a HORRIBLE President. FDR attacked democracy in America by running for President 4 times with the obvious intention to remain in Office for Life just like Hitler was Chancellor for Life in Germany. FDR’s “New Deal” began the Marxist infection that is destroying America today. FDR made the Great Depression WORSE & mismanaged WW II into the Cold War. He refused to deal with the German Resistance to Hitler which was the only way to save millions of innocents by ending both the War & the Holocaust. FDR was about personal power which made him a full fledged monster in action as opposed to a backstabbing subhuman RAT like Olbermann.

Max47 on December 22, 2008 at 7:17 AM

And to top it all off, their patriarch was a Nazi sympathizer.

ramrocks on December 21, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Wrong family -
That would be Prescott Bush, grandfather of G.W. Bush

LODGE4 on December 22, 2008 at 7:52 AM

It would be interesting to compare this coverage with coverage in the 90s of Bill Clinton’s brother Roger.

Amphipolis on December 22, 2008 at 9:20 AM

Keith who?

hawksruleva on December 22, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Palin’s circle is nothing compared to the dysfunctional in-bred Kennedy one.

katiejane on December 21, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Just my opinion. They all look alike.

abcurtis on December 22, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Does Olby have any viewers who have NOT recently ingested copious amounts of mind altering substances? Coke? Heroin? Paint? Gasoline?

Seems to me, palling around with drug dealers should elevate Palin in Olby’s drug addled world.

NoDonkey on December 22, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Olbermann is a characature, a fraud, a liar – a joke.

marklmail on December 21, 2008 at 12:27 PM

I agree. The man is a Warner Bros cartoon character with a Mel Blank voice. But he must get ratings or MSNBC wouldnt keep him around. Would they?

abcurtis on December 22, 2008 at 9:29 AM

It’s funny when the politics of guilt by association comes back to bite you in the ass. Conservatives claim your associations matter. Except when they don’t. Excuse me, I’ve got to prevent my eyes from falling out do to constant rolling.

DeathToMediaHacks on December 22, 2008 at 9:31 AM

And to top it all off, their patriarch was a Nazi sympathizer.

ramrocks on December 21, 2008 at 12:08 PM

And a bootlegger to boot. I.e. a 1930’s drug dealer.

Squiggy on December 21, 2008 at 2:14 PM

He was an anti-Semite too – that’s why he liked Hitler and the Nazis.

abcurtis on December 22, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Sarah Palin Related Ann Coulter “Sarah Palin” Conservative of the Year.

You can find a compilation of “50s” Christmas Music here put together by Janet Crain, Blogs Sarah Palin 2012. Janet Crain “History Chasers” Fellow Researcher, Genealogist and Family Historian.

Dr Evil on December 22, 2008 at 9:48 AM

I guess you must be quite upset about all those stories connecting Cheney and Halliburton? You’re outraged over those smears, right?

Associations matter – potentially – when they are freely chosen. Not when they are forced upon one by marriage.

If one can’t see the difference between an in-law doing something wrong and a business/working/political associate engaged in wrong-doing, then one needs to spend less time on blog and more time contemplating why they failed to develop their minds.

SteveMG on December 22, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Has Keith talked about where Barry might have gotten his drugs, the ones he admitted to doing?

Or has it slipped his little brain…

Maybe he could talk about Barry’s relative living in a mud hut in Kenya or wherever he is, living on 10 bucks a year…

But that would be beyond the pale…of course.

benrand on December 22, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Halliburton, Halliburton, Halliburton.

There. If I read one more leftwinger denouncing “guilt by association” I want everyone to simply type in respone:

Halliburton.

That should end their nonsense.

SteveMG on December 22, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Seriously? I mean…SERIOUSLY? Your response is “nah nah, now you can’t talk about the blatant conflict of interest between Cheney and Halliburton’s reconstruction contracts because you boohoo’d the Ayers-Obama connection?” There’s a whole lot there.
1. Conservatives (and Cheney it seems) are finally admitting all the things lefties accused them of as Bush-Cheney leave office. Which means that you didn’t really disbelieve charges that Cheney hooked up his old company with millions of dollars of YOUR tax money on an Iraqi reconstruction project that didn’t succeed. You just don’t care? Amazing.

2. I agree that Palin should not be smeared due to her daughters bad choice of in-laws. I think that Obama’s association with Ayers is more relevant than Palin’s with Bristol’s baby’s daddies momma. I also think that Obama’s associatoin with Ayers is less relevant to his ability to govern than Cheney ACTUALLY engaging in war profiteering, and ACTUALLY throwing out the U.S. constitution when it’s convenient and ACTUALLY not raising a finger to prevent cuts in veterans benefits for a war he almost unilaterally pushed through the Administration.

3. Seriously?

DeathToMediaHacks on December 22, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Hey, DeathToMediaHacks, before bellyaching about how your own eyes are rolling, why not ponder how much eye-rolling you are inducing by choosing “DeathToMediaHacks” as your moniker and then leaping to the defense of Keith Olbermann, the capo de tutti capi of media hacks. For heaven’s sake, even Ben Affleck knows Olbermann is a hack. Come on, man, justify your moniker throw a little hate Keith’s way.

shazbat on December 22, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Vernon Hardapple on December 21, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Dear Mr. Assapple,
You’re way out of your league here moron….
go home and have your mommy make you some hot cocoa or something….

max1 on December 22, 2008 at 10:55 AM

You originally snarked that reporting on Palin’s inlaws was payback for the conservatives’ examination of the relationship between Obama and Ayers and Obama and Wright.

Then you backtracked and admitted they’re not the same.

The two matters are, of course, completely different and Olbermann is simply smearing Palin with this report.

Second, it is entirely proper – and necessary - for the press to look into any public official’s chosen associations – not inlaws - to determine whether anything illegal or improper was done. And for the public to get a better understanding of the views and type of person they are electing to the Presidency.

Full stop.

But those who said it was illegitimate to examine Obama’s associations have no ground to stand on when they were demanding scrutiny of Cheney’s associations.

Public official’s associations are fair game for us to examine when those associations may affect public policy.

And that is true whether the official is Cheney or Obama or anyone else.

SteveMG on December 22, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Let us remember that those people were demanding investigations (media not criminal) into Cheney’s work with Halliburton when he was a candidate. Not just after his election.

And they were right to do so.

But for many it was simply illegitimate to examine Obama’s associations.

Again, it’s fair to look at both men’s associations.

SteveMG on December 22, 2008 at 11:09 AM

I couldn’t agree more, SteveMG. I disagree with the assertion though that Obama’s association with Ayers is that important. I think he’s doing a lot of what the Bush administration did–trying to “cover something up” when it’s not even that bad. This, in my opinion, is what happened with the Scooter Libby thing and the Pat Tillman thing. They didn’t want to look bad, when in fact what went on was simply accidental. Obama didn’t want anyone to know that he had met with a domestic terrorist several times in his life, so he wouldn’t even discuss it at all. All he has to do is explain his association with Ayers fully and there would be no problem.
Oh, and the whole Cheney-Haliburton connnection is bullshit. Haliburton has been getting no-bid contracts at least since the 1970s. They even got one from Clinton; I may be wrong, but I seem to remember reading that. This “sinister” Cheney Haliburton connection thing is just another way to beat Cheney over the head. I’m tired of it. I’m also tired of people beating Obama over the head with every association he’s ever had. That’s how we get politicians like the one that Obama is going to pick for Secretary of Labor, Hilda Solis. She’s another one of these “investigate Bush/Cheney” loons, and it’s sickening. We don’t need anymore hacks on both sides running our government.

NathanG on December 22, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Cheney ACTUALLY engaging in war profiteering

Cheney’s tax returns as VP have been published.

Can you cite in his returns where he has engaged in “war profiteering”?

As most of us know, he no longer works for Halliburton and all of his investments were placed in a blind trust when he became VP.

SteveMG on December 22, 2008 at 12:26 PM

This clears up most of the smears about Cheney and Halliburton (FactCheck).

More important, when Cheney sold the stock options that he received from Halliburton after resigning as CEO, he donated all – all – of the proceeds to charity.

SteveMG on December 22, 2008 at 12:40 PM

If KO has any friends, they are palling around with a hose bag.

Akzed on December 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM

This whole topic is a ridiculous thing to be talking about. There is no comparison between Obama’s crooked sponsors and any of Palin’s associations. Pretending that there is is the whole point of this Socialist Talking Point.

Alter reality, control the conversation. Don’t buy it. Some things are not debatable and they should be dismissed as such.

Agents of Change, indeed.

Venusian Visitor on December 22, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Vernon Hardapple on December 21, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Murder implies intent. You, sir, have an overactive imagination.

unclesmrgol on December 29, 2008 at 8:22 PM