But she’s a princess!

posted at 11:00 am on December 19, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The normally sensible Ed Koch indulged in some revealing Kennedy gushing yesterday to support the idea that Governor David Paterson should appoint a novice to the US Senate on the basis of her last name.  He urged Paterson to “think of the DNA” as a qualifier for selecting Caroline Kennedy as a replacement for Hillary Clinton in the US Senate (via Q&O):

Former NYC Mayor Ed Koch told CBS 2 HD he was won over after she called him and asked to talk about the office.

“When you look at her, and you know what the Kennedy’s are capable of and you know the family she comes from … think of the DNA,” Koch said.

At one time, and it’s starting to seem like a long time ago, Americans eschewed the idea that certain people deserved a life of privilege because of their pedigree.  This country has never recognized a system of nobility, certainly not in the manner Koch and others have suggested over the last couple of weeks stewing over Caroline Kennedy’s quest for a sinecure.  We have always heralded the fact that our system allows people of modest origins to achieve on the basis of talent, determination, and hard work — all of which are antithetical to the kind of royalty Koch inadvertently endorses here.

After all, what basis did absolute monarchs claim credibility?  They saw themselves anointed by God as descendants of previous rulers.  Power was in their DNA, too.

Jonah Goldberg blasts the Sweet Caroline gushers:

One could say without fear of overstating things that the liberal reaction to the inexperienced Caroline has been somewhat more gracious than the reaction to the “inexperienced” Palin. Ruth Marcus of the Washington Post has devoted two columns in as many weeks to this “fairy tale” scenario in which Kennedy, our “tragic national princess,” is finally rewarded — for her years of quiet dignity, selflessly avoiding scandal and the paparazzi — with the Senate seat that once belonged to her uncle Bobby. What’s astounding about the normally sensible Marcus’s case for “the Cinderella Kennedy” (New York magazine’s phrase) is that she doesn’t really make one, at least not on the merits. Marcus doesn’t even bother. It’s all schoolgirl gushing.

The editors of the New York Times, in a more skeptical editorial, summarized her qualifications thusly: “Ms. Kennedy has much going for her. As a public figure, she carries the glamour and poignancy of her family …” The editors then went on to describe what great liberals her dad and uncles were. That’s it.

This a perfect example of the bowel-stewing self-indulgence of elite liberalism.

Kathleen Parker, fresh off of her eviscerations of Sarah Palin for her inexperience and unreadiness, denies that she’s applying a double standard — and again falls back on DNA:

In Kennedy’s case, those actors would be senators, not heads of other, potentially belligerent, nations. If appointed, she would be a single vote among 100 and otherwise a placeholder until 2010, when she would have to run for election as any other.

Palin, who one could argue was similarly anointed — cynically selected without proper vetting — was headed for much bigger business. As vice president, she would have been a heartbeat away from The Button, though she would not have been “in charge of the U.S. Senate,” as she told a child who asked what the vice president does.

Critics on the other side of the political aisle may have had other reasons to oppose Palin (such as her pro-life position), but the loyal opposition was firmly based on substantive concerns about competence, as well as wariness about her tone and temperament, which became increasingly divisive.

So the Senate isn’t important enough to demand someone qualified — or at least someone who deigns to answer press questions about it?  The WCBS report linked above reports mainly on the frustration from the media about how the political princess with all that terrific DNA won’t answer questions.  How’s that for tone, temperament, and substance?  Palin spoke with the press and actually ran something other than a typewriter for several years, serving in government for more than a decade.

And I’d suggest that Kathleen check the Constitution.  The Vice President actually does preside over the US Senate, even if that practice has fallen out of custom in the last few decades. Article I, section 3.  You can look it up.

If Caroline Kennedy wants to be a Senator, then she should run for the office and try to convince voters to support her by engaging in the political process, not demand an appointment to avoid the hoi polloi.  Paterson has a constitutional duty to appoint the most qualified person to the seat, not the person who can raise the most money for Democrats.  None of the Sweet Caroline Gushing Choir can point to a single qualification (other than DNA) that Kennedy has in greater quantity than the hundreds of New Yorkers who have already involved themselves in the political process and who could actually hit the ground running in Washington DC.

Appointing a candidate to the US Senate on the basis of their last name alone is more than just a betrayal of that duty to act in the best interest of New York.  In a significant way, it goes against everything America is supposed to represent.  Ed Koch and David Paterson should know better, and the media gushers should as well.  Will New York start issuing titles of nobility to their dynastic clans as well?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“TEST” geez …

Buckaroo on December 19, 2008 at 12:41 PM

What is it with New York’s willingness to give a US Senate seat to the wife of a former president, the brother of a former president, and now a daughter of a former president. Don’t they ever consider qualifications?!?!?

rbb on December 19, 2008 at 11:09 AM

That’s New York for you! They like electing celebrity candidates. They elected Hillary even though she’d only just moved there. I asked a friend from Brooklyn why she had voted for Hillary, and she said, “eh, I figyahed she’d be intrestin’”

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 12:41 PM

manwithblackhat on December 19, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Let’s also remember that it was DNA that ultimately exposed the Clinton administration for the liars they were.

highhopes on December 19, 2008 at 12:41 PM

The democratic party is systemic rot personified.

Vashta.Nerada on December 19, 2008 at 12:47 PM

On Caroline Kennedy (D-Camelot):

“The English House of Lords has long been derided as a collection of long-winded, bilious blowhards, the children, grandchildren and fifth cousins, once removed, of noblemen who once did something to curry favor with a long-dead King.

The House of Lords looks like the greatest assemblage of deep thinkers and philosophers the world has ever seen, when compared to the collection of feckless crapweasels who bloviate on the floor of our Senate.”

Gee, I wish I’d written that.

warbaby on December 19, 2008 at 12:10 PM

You may not have written it but thanks for sharing. Very relevant and encapsulates why this “legacy” appointment is a joke in America.

Looks like the EuroWeenie-Wannabes (also commonly known as American Professors & The wh*res in the media [a.k.a. Liberals]) are running the asylum known as the current American Political System, in my arrogant opinion.

Branch Rickey on December 19, 2008 at 12:47 PM

You forget about the dynasty currently in office as President, someone who went to Yale on a legacy.

sethstorm on December 19, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Bambi went to Harvard as a legacy admit too (not to mention an Affirmative Action admit); his Kenyan daddy was a Harvard man (who didn’t finish his Ph.D. degree — daddy started a lot of things he didn’t finish).

AZCoyote on December 19, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Branch Rickey on December 19, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Imperfect solution to a problem.

Quoting Chappaquiddick too cheap for you?

sethstorm on December 19, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Um, why did you bring up Chappaquiddick?

I was just stating a fact and to clarify why it might be in an irony spiral to mention lobotomies and Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg’s background/family connections.

Speaking of Chappaquiddick, didn’t Teddy “Splash” Kennedy walk HRH Caroline down the aisle in a “Catholic” wedding.

The Kennedys’ are about as Catholic as Christopher Hitchens. They just use it differently – them for political connections & snow jobs; and him for a source of discussion/derision.

Branch Rickey on December 19, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Wasn’t there a rumor once, that her younger brother “John” was going to run for the Senate Seat in New York before he died?

Dr Evil on December 19, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I know this is a silly question, but why is it that journalists lie in the name of partisanship? Why can’t they correct this? Don’t they have fact checkers. This is “1984″ writ large.

InCali on December 19, 2008 at 1:00 PM

To the critics and belittlers of Sarah Palin:

“It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

jerryofva on December 19, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Obama looks comepletely experienced and accomplished next to this idiot.

Maybe next he can assign some ambassadorships to the punks from the Real OC.

Chuck Schick on December 19, 2008 at 1:15 PM

AZCoyote on December 19, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Dude, I totally forgot about that. You’re right. “That One” was definitely a Harvard legacy. Harvard’s admission policy is clear — legacy’s get a “second look” if all else is equal in the candidate pool. If you ever run into a white guy from a poor background who grew up in the sticks and his parents were nobodies, and he somehow got into Harvard on his own merits — you know you’ve found a really smart guy. I’ve met a few of them. They are some of the finest entrepreneurs in this country.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Theodore Roosevelt

jerryofva on December 19, 2008 at 1:02 PM

He hunted moose, wore glasses, was a governor, and had a ton of kids too.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Obama looks comepletely experienced and accomplished next to this idiot.

Maybe next he can assign some ambassadorships to the punks from the Real OC.

Chuck Schick on December 19, 2008 at 1:15 PM

The lady makes me very nauseous, but she would have knowledge of commerce dontcha know? Afterall she can see Wall St from her house.

LevStrauss on December 19, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Afterall she can see Wall St from her house.

LevStrauss on December 19, 2008 at 1:36 PM

LOL!

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Can’t we just buy Liechtenstein, or pay them a fee or something, and move all the Kennedy’s, including that leather faced empty brat Caroline, over there to be their Royal Family?

MB4 on December 19, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Let New York have it’s cake and eat it too.

Kini on December 19, 2008 at 1:50 PM

MB4 on December 19, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Best idea of the day! We can send all the other members of political dynasties over to be their courtiers. Every state has their share of these patrician losers.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 1:51 PM

She’ll be right on board w/the Nationalized Healthcare thing, doncha know. That’s what uncle Teddy has decided to focus on solely while he still can… UGH!

JAM on December 19, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Kathleen Parker’s article is preposterous.

In the juxtaposition of a self-made sucess story like Sarah Palin and a daughter of aristocratic landed gentry, Kathleen sees Caroline as the superior talent, apparently due, in large part, to raise campaign cash from her wealthy friends and sycophants.

This is what political analysis has come to with the elite of the MSM.

This is exulting social class over genuine accomplishment.

The Kennedys go to Harvard as a matter of birthright, while middle class high school students get there (and other Ivy League venues) solely by hard work and achievement.

Since dynasty appears to be more important to Kathleen than accomplishment, I trust that she is prepared to extend the same birthright to Jenna and Barbara Bush if they decide to go into politics.

This is shameful.

molonlabe28 on December 19, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Ted Kennedy’s MySpace entry:

Hi there fellow bloggers. My name is United States Senator Edward Moore Kennedy from the Great State of Massachusetts. You can call me Ted if you want. I was born on February 22, 1932, although people tell me that I look at least 20 years younger.

I graduated from Harvard in June 1956 in the top 10% of my class. I also passed my law bar on my very first try.

I am one of the most senior members of that grand and much loved and respected institution known as the U.S. Senate. All my colleagues respect me and very often come to me for my wise council and advise. I must admit though that when John and Lindsey ask me to turn around and pull my pants down so that they can kiss my ass it does get a little much, but it’s gratifying anyway!

In fact I am so powerful now that I am, in many ways the defacto President of the United States. How’s that for a boy who had to work his way through college?

I am handsome and tall with a muscular build. The ladies just can’t get enough of me. Sometimes I think it is almost a curse.

I sometimes like to chill out after a long day of serving the American people by having a double martini. Contrary to what some of my very few enemies say I never have more than one drink at a time. Well sometimes one for each hand, but that’s it, never two glasses in each hand, except on special occasions like the arrival of 6PM.

I am a lot of fun after work. I am an excellent driver and sometimes I like to go on long drives and see how many bridges I can cross without getting wet. It’s a lot of fun! All the women tell me that I am just too much!

I would like to think that I am open minded, honest, polite, and trustworthy. And I appreciate the same qualities in others.

Who I’d like to meet:
…other progressive bloggers. People who like to rock out. Cool people who live close to Washington D.C. so that we can get together and talk about how my niece Caroline will become duchess senator from New York. That way Kennedy’s will have 2 out of 100 senate seats and as I always figure it’s a start. I figure Patrick should be number 3 and then we can really get going from there.

MB4 on December 19, 2008 at 2:04 PM

It was tougher for Palin to get into Idaho than it was for a Kennedy to get into Harvard.

Princess Schlossberg’s Harvard degree isn’t worth the paper it was etched on.

PimFortuynsGhost on December 19, 2008 at 2:05 PM

DNA??? What a joke. If anything, her DNA makes her more likely to be or someday an alcohlic become like her Uncle Teddy. It certainly doesn’t qualify her for anything other than child bearing.

TrickyDick on December 19, 2008 at 2:05 PM

End political royalty in America, Now!

flyoverland on December 19, 2008 at 2:23 PM

…wait a minute….

…Ms. Kennedy is somehow entitled to an open Senate seat by virtue of her birth? What will happen next? Will some serving senator somewhere be whacked to make an open Senate seat to accomodate a future Kennedy?

…we threw aristocrats out only to create them anew…at least, generations ago, they were faux-aristocrats of money…now, we’re seeing faux-aristocats of celebrity….

…oh!, for a tumbrell and a working guillotine!

…this little kitten has done less than many of the bloggers here for her country…and is seen by sold-out pundits like Parker as a reasonable replacement for Hilary…which, in a twisted way, is almost true…Hilary was, and remains actually, unqualified to sit in the Senate….

…maybe both of these faux-nobles — Caroline of Hyannisport and Hilary of Trailerpark — should consider acquiring some experience before engaging their ambition…perhaps as mayors of small towns….

Puritan1648 on December 19, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Palin’s demonstrated lack of basic knowledge, her intellectual incuriosity, her inability to articulate ideas or even simple thoughts all combined to create an impression of not-quite-there. [emphasis added]

She sounded articulate enough during the one and a half hour debate she had with a 35 year veteran of the Senate. It was broadcast live and was seen by a record breaking 73 million viewers — making it the most watched vice presidential debate in U.S. history and the second-most-watched political debate of any kind — including presidential — in U.S. history. It was second only to the 1980 Reagan-Carter debate, which drew nearly 81 million viewers.

One and a half hours in front of the world, and the only mistake she made was calling General McKiernan, “McClellan”. An honest mistake.

Biden, on the other hand, claimed that a joint Franco-American NATO expeditionary force drove Hezbollah out of Lebanon. He then claimed that he and Obama had the foresight to advocate the NATO occupation of Lebanon, a country which is not a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and is nowhere near the Atlantic. Sheikh Nasrallah could be heard laughing his ass off from his underground bunker in southern Lebanon.

But Biden is somehow safer to have “a heartbeat away from The Button” than Palin. How?

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:39 PM

oh!, for a tumbrel and a working guillotine!

Puritan1648 on December 19, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Is that line yours or are you quoting some great literary masterpiece? That is the best line of the decade! I love it! Please let me know to whom I must ascribe it.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Kathleen’s still jealous because her hubby has the hots for Palin.

What a catty, pathetic little btch.

thirteen28 on December 19, 2008 at 2:54 PM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:53 PM

…I think that was me….

(conferring with the voices in my head)

…yeah…me….

…I don’t know about “best line of the decade”…that’d have to be “hey, doll…wanna get a six-pack and f**k? What? Don’t’cha drink?”…although “I voted for it before I voted against it” has me beat all to Hell for sheer audacity….

Puritan1648 on December 19, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Now substitute “Kathleen Parker” for “Palin” in the above Parker quote.
Works for me.

whitetop on December 19, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Kathleen’s still jealous because her hubby has the hots for Palin.

What a catty, pathetic little btch.

thirteen28 on December 19, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Did she actually write that her husband had the hots for Palin? In her article, I thought it was the unnamed old professor who had the hots for Palin. I’m always confused by whom she was claiming had the hots for Palin. Or was she just stating that the entire male population, which in theory would include her husband, had the hots for Palin?

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:59 PM

…not to beat my own drum (any more loudly)…but the meter of that line does have legs….

…a bumpersticker:

(top line) Kennedy — Bush — Clinton — Cuomo
(line underneath) Oh!, for a tumbrel and a working guillotine!

…yeah…one of those magnetic bastards…funds go to buy, well, a tumbrell and a working guillotine….

…yeah…that’s the ticket….

Puritan1648 on December 19, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Well shes making the rounds in Upstate. That means she serious. Why else would she go to Syracurse.

kanda on December 19, 2008 at 3:03 PM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:59 PM

I’m pretty sure she did, but I really don’t feel like going through her past columns to confirm. But watching her continue to spew anti-Palin bile like a clique-ish high school girl would seem to indicate that her hatred is more of a personal nature, particularly when you see how she has completely reversed herself regarding Princess Caroline.

thirteen28 on December 19, 2008 at 3:04 PM

“hey, doll…wanna get a six-pack and f**k? What? Don’t’cha drink?”…
Puritan1648 on December 19, 2008 at 2:56 PM

ROTFLMAO! Okay, where did that come from? Movie quote or you?

And, yes, your “oh! for a tumbrel and a guillotine!” is truly brilliant. I nearly hoisted le drapeau tricolore when I read it.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 3:12 PM

…a bumpersticker:

(top line) Kennedy — Bush — Clinton — Cuomo
(line underneath) Oh!, for a tumbrel and a working guillotine!

…yeah…that’s the ticket….

Puritan1648 on December 19, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Do it! Do it! Or I’ll do it for you! We could make a mint off of those and start a new peasants revolt.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Levi Johnston’s mother in the news.

They can’t get enough.

On the other hand, Caroline’s daughter Rose has been photographed acting like a freak, but that’s…okay.

capitalist piglet on December 19, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Levi Johnston’s mother in the news.

capitalist piglet on December 19, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Just a little payback from the police union for wanting to fire Wooten, and actually firing that douchebag Monegan.

Jim62sch on December 19, 2008 at 3:46 PM

capitalist piglet on December 19, 2008 at 3:16 PM

I wonder what they caught her with? I secretly hope it was pot because I’d love to see the left express outrage over someone caught in possession of marijuana.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 3:49 PM

I am a unfavorably impressed with Caroline’s DNA, because her mother was a golddigger par excellence (actually she is the benchmark for golddiggers against whom all others are measured), her father was whore-monger who died with VD (chlamidia), and her grandfather was a bootlegger and a crook.

I am sick of American political royalty.

Let’s have some self-made people (on both sides of the aisle) make our laws.

molonlabe28 on December 19, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Jim62sch on December 19, 2008 at 3:46 PM

In his troopergate deposition, Todd Palin actually said that he feared that Wooten would try to frame one of his family members by pulling them over and tossing a bag of marijuana in their car or somehow planting it on them. He kept persisting in talking about Wooten to whomever would listen because he was afraid for his family having to live in an area patrolled by Wooten.

Not saying that this lady didn’t actually do what she’s charged with, but it does make one suspicious.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Branch Rickey on December 19, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Since the lobotomy was mentioned, there seemed to be an idea that someone else would mention Chappaquiddick.

sethstorm on December 19, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Yup, welcome to government by Us magazine.

Some here at HA should exercise a little caution snarking at the Princess, though. The remarks favoring her elsewhere sound incredibly tame compared to some of the drooling commentary here about Sarah Palin over recent months, much of which had more to do with her “hotness” than abilities….

What’s sauce for the goose is sauce for the goosee, you know.

MrScribbler on December 19, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Branch Rickey on December 19, 2008 at 12:53 PM

sethstorm on December 19, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Is that really your response? Thanks, I needed a Friday Funny.

Branch Rickey on December 19, 2008 at 4:11 PM

If Caroline Kennedy feels so suddenly called and compelled to public office, let her run for city council and earn her way up. To annoint her with an appointment to one of the most prestigious, powerful and coveted political jobs in the country would be nothing short of outrageous.

redfoxbluestate on December 19, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Can we have some House Un-American Activities hearings on the Kennedys? Or how about Organized Crime hearings?

Done That on December 19, 2008 at 4:35 PM

I kind of like the idea of a Kennedy-Cuomo grudge match.

These two clans don’t like each other a bit after the marriage of Kerry Kennedy (daughter of RFK) to Andrew Cuomo (son of Mario) ended as a result of Kerry’s sleeping around (in the finest Kennedy tradition, speaking of the family DNA).

I think that Andrew would like to open a can of whuppa$$ on Caroline Kennedy as a result of his experience with her loose cousin.

This is going to be as interesting as the unfolding of the Blago-Rahm-Rezko-Obama affair.

Let’s put the popcorn in the microwave and sit back and wait for the fun to start.

molonlabe28 on December 19, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Oh, please tell me when we will be rid of these damn Kennedy’s. I was born and raised in MA and they’ve been an embarrassment to the People’s Republic of Taxachusetts for far too long.

All I need to know about Caroline Schlossberg is that she is a limousine liberal and is clueless about what the working stiffs go through. My cat is more qualified to be a Senator than she is.

Mooseman on December 19, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Of course Caroline Kennedy(D) is unqualified… who has she drowned? Does she have a single drunken rape to her credit?

It’s a disgrace I tell ya’.

DANEgerus on December 19, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Branch Rickey on December 19, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Better to preempt anyone else from mentioning it.

sethstorm on December 19, 2008 at 5:07 PM

But she’s a princess!

So was Shrek’s girlfriend Fiona — and she turned into an ugly, smelly ogre in the pale moonlight.

My collie says:

Of course, the Kennedy family dispensed with that. They’re ugly, smelly ogres ALL THE TIME.

CyberCipher on December 19, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Good Christ! No more Kennedys please!

And thank God Hill and Bill only had one kid, hopefully she will be content to marry a rich boy and make his life miserable.

4shoes on December 19, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Tammy Bruce made a very good point yesterday: forgosh sakes , it’s NY! patterson probably would like to appoint some nasty ny political machine leftist and in an open election, the citizens are likely to elect a dirtbag. They’ve given the country schumer, haven’t they? Kennedy doesn’t appear particularly rabid, my impression in the past when I’ve seen her interviewed is that she isn’t that sharp a tack. Most likely she’ll be a sheep for the democrats but that’s better then another nasty national democrat leader from ny, isn’t it?

peacenprosperity on December 19, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Oh yeah, and cuomo is both a nasty ny political machine leftist and a dirtbag. That hvcc bill that will be passed now that Libby Dole is out of the senate came about from cuomo being bribed by first american and washington mutual. Five years after that thing gets passed we will be right back where we are now with the housing industry because it takes the corruption that caused this time around and makes it law.

peacenprosperity on December 19, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Why would we worry about Caroline Kennedy as a senator? We had the inexperienced and much more dishonest Hillary Clinton in that job already.
***
The O’Bummer victory proves that experience, knowledge, and accomplishments are not needed in political candidates–they are actually detrimental to victory. The Messiah is the prime example. Or compare Hillary Clinton and Condi Rice–case proved twice.
***
What we need is more inexperienced, untalented, dishonest, and very liberal senators and representatives. This is like a junior high school beauty contest–pick the biggest clown!
***
At least Caroline Kennedy is rich enough to not STEAL THE WHITE HOUSE SILVER SERVICE–like Hillary did!
***
John Bibb

rocketman on December 19, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Ah hell, why not. One more idiot in congress.
King will win in 2010!

HornetSting on December 19, 2008 at 7:21 PM

I wonder if Teddy ever did her. Let’s get Geraldo on this.

timwashu on December 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Wow, I thought you guys had a revolution to get rid of a heredity based ruling class.
So it is true that those who didn’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

G-man on December 19, 2008 at 9:34 PM

What b.s. Does this woman actually get paid for giving her opinions? I am tired of these whines about “divisiveness”. Isn’t that the point of political parties to begin with? To, uh, “divide”? What’s the point of elections then?

As for the continued cheap shots against Palin, pffft. Sarah’s tough and can take it just as she has since August 29 from assorted partisan hacks.

ddrintn on December 19, 2008 at 10:08 PM

By the way, let’s lay odds on Kennedy-Schlossberg being named Senator. I say it’s pretty much a done deal.

ddrintn on December 19, 2008 at 10:10 PM

I guess we’ve got enough Kennedy’s up there and cousins mouthing off to Uncle Teddy Bear on how each wants to run goverment, we don’t need more of them as enough is enough. Oldest one Is Fat slezeball and now another one that is a thin as a rail and looks like a speedfreak.

sharkman on December 19, 2008 at 11:56 PM

So it is true that those who didn’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

G-man on December 19, 2008 at 9:34 PM

First as tragedy, then as farce.

Tav on December 20, 2008 at 12:01 AM

G-man on December 19, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Yes but the Kennedy clan was still in Ireland scrounging for potatoes at the time of our revolution, and apparently they failed to get the memo.

This is what happens when we allow indiscriminate immigration.

AZCoyote on December 20, 2008 at 6:49 AM

I thought we threw off the monarchy thing about 200 years ago?

conservnut on December 20, 2008 at 8:38 AM

I actually want Caroline to get appointed to the seat. Here’s why.

Because stupid shenanigans like that are going to remind people very, VERY quickly why Democrats are horrible politicians to have running the government, and they’ll vote to remove them from power far more quicker.

Vyce on December 20, 2008 at 9:13 AM

I say we do away with the whole election thing. From now on only sons/daughters/cousins of former presidents will be president/senators. We’ll just have the Bush, Kennedy, Clinton, Carter families run everything.

Think how much money we’ll save without spending money every 2 years for elections. And besides as we are reminded by the left daily, the people are too stupid to understand what they’re voting for anyways.

It’s win-win for everyone.

angryed on December 20, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Paul Vitello, NYT: “[Caroline Kennedy Onassis] had been largely overshadowed by her brother, John Jr., who was called People magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive in 1988 and founded George, a political magazine, in 1995.”

All about George, Vitello wants to attribute political activism to Jackie’s kids who always eschewed politics at every level until now. Now Vitello discribes George as “a political magazine” though that’s not what John said it would be when launching his failed endeavor from his mom’s literary world as an editor attempting to formulate public opinion as a publicist. When asked in a press conference if George was to be a political magazine, John said not really, leaving the impression that it was to be a sophisticated version of People to appeal to The New Yorker crowd.

Caroline’s monotone voice reflects a spoiled bore who can’t be troubled to actually work to recognize life from the perspective of anyone beneath her vanity. Her choice of words are sickening; as a Kennedy-Onassis, Caroline CAN’T AFFORD to stay out of politics. Like Michelle Obama, Caroline is going to advertise the progressive neoliberal phrase, “I want to give back,” that translates into scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours, Sharpton; aka quid quo pro.

maverick muse on December 20, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Media will love her.

IlikedAUH2O on December 21, 2008 at 5:49 AM

Caroline and the media may not fare any better than Jackie and the paparazzi. If the media worms love getting snubbed, they’ll get along just fine with Caroline Kennedy Onassis. When made-for-TV “docudramas” begin, let’s note whether they all fall in line with The Party dictum; or if one varies off the party line to Caroline’s chagrin, will her voice ever fluctuate in pitch?

maverick muse on December 21, 2008 at 7:32 AM

Yeah, Mr Mayor, most of us conservatives know what the Kennedys are capable of. We are reminded by Senator-for-life Ted Kennedy everyday, that if your name is Kennedy there is no accountability for you.
Btw – according to the Constitution, Caroline is qualified to be a Senator:

Article I, Section 3: “No person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the age of thirty years, and been nine years a citizen of the United States and who shall not, when elected, be an inhabitant of that state for which he shall be chosen.”

abcurtis on December 21, 2008 at 8:08 AM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:39 PM

A few days ago, I was walking into our local Walmart. Behind me was a woman going on about how if McCain had been elected we’d have the dumbest VP in this country’s history. I bit my tongue. I wanted to tell her that on January 20 2009, her fear will come true – Slo-Joe Biden will be sworn in as, with out a doubt, the dumbest VP this country has ever had. But, discretion being the better part of valor, I shut up and moved on.

abcurtis on December 21, 2008 at 8:17 AM

But what DOES Doris Kearns Goodwin think? She is wonderful and pontificates on everything and she must be good. A conservative historian’s career would be over with allegations like those made against her.

Even Jon Stewart respects her and there was absolutely nothing phony about the two of them sitting together putting on his show Ambassador Bolton in his place. While he wasn’t there. Or was it President Bush? Or. Vice President Chency? Or…..

Hhhhhhhmmmm…will the comedy channel take on this subject? They better be nice..

IlikedAUH2O on December 21, 2008 at 10:00 AM

IlikedAUH2O on December 21, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Oh, I imagine she’s all for it. You know, even Eleanor Roosevelt and Lincoln had to fight against unjust charges that they were unprepared or had no right to a public voice. The Kennedy family has always weighed their privilege against an overpowering sense of public duty, blah blah blah.

Of course, she would have to consult the works of some other historians before giving her own opinion.

ddrintn on December 21, 2008 at 10:01 PM

I would be more surprised if the media didn’t circle the wagons around Kennedy. And this is just another example of the DEMS endorsing other DEMS who have little to no political experience. Just like most BLACKS only voted for Barack “Wayne Brady” Obama because he’s half Black, the MSM is supporting Kennedy because, well, she’s a Kennedy.

NOTE TO CAROLINE KENNEDY. PLEASE ASK YOU PLASTIC SURGEON TO SPRINKLE SOME MEAT TENDERIZER ON YOU FACE. BOTOX IS NOT WORKING FOR YA.

squasquashi on December 22, 2008 at 11:13 AM

I agree that Kennedy isn’t qualified, but if the right had a real problem with the politics of privilege, then why did it select a Presidential candidate 8 years ago who’s only relevant experience was a short stint as governor in a state where that office is largely ceremonial? Your points are largely valid, but your sincerity is suspect.

bayam on December 22, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Hmm, Yale graduate and successful businessman, major league sport franchise owner elected Governor to 2nd largest state in the union being compared to 50 yo with not a shred of experience in any private or public endeavor. Oh yeah, I see the sage of your reason.

(Please, just admit it’s a stupid Democratic Party move without qualifying it. It serves as stupid on its own merits without the BDS comparison)

Picking apart the “specific” GWB qualifications starts in 3,2,1..

hawkdriver on December 22, 2008 at 1:49 PM

dish on December 19, 2008 at 11:08 AM

You are an idiot. If you can not quote someone properly, don’t. No where have I suggested the crap you put on your asinine post.

Wade on December 23, 2008 at 12:07 PM