Video: Mika mugged, then forced to listen to Scarborough talk about it

posted at 4:15 pm on December 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via Jossip, a bad morning turns worse as our heroine gamely endures a roundtable about how to handle things the Bernie Goetz way:

MSNBC’s Mika Brzezinski was mugged outside a well-known Washington hotel while waiting for a car to pick her up for the 6 a.m. broadcast of the show she co-hosts with Joe Scarborough, “Morning Joe.”…

Mrs. Brzezinski said she was embarrassed and didn’t want him to tell viewers about the experience, but he detailed the mugging and complained the bell desk should have been paying attention.

“A guy walks across the street straight for her,” Mr. Scarborough said, adding the hotel should “at least police five feet outside their own doors.” Mrs. Brzezinski said she gave the mugger the $6 in cash she had with her, adding that he asked her for $20 and said something along the lines of “Give me money and nothing will happen.”

Just by coincidence, their special guest this morning? D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty. Awesome.

Comments

Allah, I love your headlines so much.

MadisonConservative on December 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Joe.. take the hint. She didn’t want it brought up.

cannonball on December 18, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I have a crush on Mika.

Beautiful?…ummm, not really.

Sexy?….Hell Yes!

aquaviva on December 18, 2008 at 4:19 PM

It was Henry Paulson.

roux on December 18, 2008 at 4:19 PM

$6 dollars – who the hell travels with only $6 on them?

What the hell?

jake-the-goose on December 18, 2008 at 4:20 PM

she should have busted a cap in his a$$.
oh, I forgot it’s DC.
C C is a no-no.

nimrod on December 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM

The migger was just an Obama voter spreading the wealth — 6 bucks, that’s it? When I travel I sure have more than 6 bucks for gratuities and things. Oh wait, she is a liberal, so the pies are free.

tarpon on December 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Classic.

Exit question: Did Mika ask the mayor for a $6 reimbursement?

BuckeyeSam on December 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Well, is it me, or does Mika usually look like she can’t stand being next to him? She always looks exasperated or contemptuous.

MadisonConservative on December 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM

I have a crush on Mika.

Beautiful?…ummm, not really.

Sexy?….Hell Yes!

aquaviva on December 18, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I wonder what she looks like in a bikini? Hmmmm….

toliver on December 18, 2008 at 4:26 PM

$6 dollars – who the hell travels with only $6 on them?

It’s Bush’s fault. Rush was talking about it today.

rightwingprof on December 18, 2008 at 4:26 PM

You mean there is crime in Washington, D.C. (near Capitol Hill)? This is SHOCKING!

In some ways it is nice for people living outside of DC to learn what it is like to live in DC (i.e., no protection from the police (even if you call them) and no protection from the law (despite the Supreme Court’s decision in Heller).

Hey Mayor Fenty, thanks for continuing to make it nearly impossible to defend yourself in DC (even in your own home). The irony here is that if Mika would have defended herself she likely would have wound up being charged and picketed by the NAACP for using excessive force. That is the DC way.

sayabule1 on December 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM

I think the real point of this discussion was not that Mika had been “mugged”, or that the hotel didn’t have the prper security, but that the cities are starting to fall back into the states they were in in the 1970′s, when no one with a brain wanted to live in them and you could buy a co-op on West End Avenue for $1 (because people didn’t want to pay their maintenance any more). People forget how these things go.

progressoverpeace on December 18, 2008 at 4:30 PM

$6 dollars – who the hell travels with only $6 on them?

What the hell?

jake-the-goose on December 18, 2008 at 4:20 PM

I haven’t carried cash in my wallet in 6 months. Why bother? Debit cards.

lorien1973 on December 18, 2008 at 4:30 PM

It sounds like she did not want to talk about it because, like most crime victims in DC, she failed to officially report it.

sayabule1 on December 18, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Seeing this post next to the post about the Boss has me thinking.

Can Fox hire Mika away from MSNBC for a new show to replace Hannity & Colmes: Michelle and Mika? Now, I’d tune in for that.

Just curious, what is anyone else’s guess about the outcome if, God forbid, the Boss had likewise been held up for her lunch money?

I have a feeling a robber would have been going to the hospital.

BuckeyeSam on December 18, 2008 at 4:33 PM

It was the chairman of Chrysler, just trying to get Mika’s portion of the bailout a little early.

Bishop on December 18, 2008 at 4:35 PM

These two are ruining mornings on WABC with their radio show. I rather hear Giuliani on the radio than these two. He is absolutely more entertaining. I used to listen to Giuliani’s “Meet the Mayor” show on Friday mornings. I miss the guy as our NYC mayor.

jencab on December 18, 2008 at 4:35 PM

MadisonConservative on December 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM

When I watch those two I wonder if their producer ever sat them down and explained to them who speaks when and what the pecking order is? I have never seen a show on cable news where the hosts talk over each other as much as they do.

grdred944 on December 18, 2008 at 4:36 PM

I’ve been mugged, too.

Mika mugged my heart.

Kensington on December 18, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Mika serves no discernible purpose.

alex342 on December 18, 2008 at 4:38 PM

I think she’s covering something up.

1. A Tylenol Extra deal gone bad.

2. He wanted $20 but she only had $6. I something like this on Cops were a dude tried to stiff a working girl.

3. I forgot three.

4. She came in late and used a mugging as an excuse and now there’s an investigation.

5. It’s a ploy to get that young camera man to escort her. Then she offers him some tea. Then, “It’s kinda hot in here, mind if I unbutton my shirt a little. . .

- The Cat

MirCat on December 18, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Beautiful?…ummm, not really.

Sexy?….Hell Yes!

Sexy is much better than beautiful, although I think Mika’s both. Shame about her politics, though. Maybe if I could just change the subject when she gets going…

Kensington on December 18, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Mika serves no discernible purpose.

My loins disagree.

Kensington on December 18, 2008 at 4:40 PM

aquaviva on December 18, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I’ve been reprimanded here before for saying as much, but keepin’ it real…I think so too.

CP on December 18, 2008 at 4:42 PM

I once offered to spend the night with Mika.

She turned me down though.

Bishop on December 18, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Joe sure seems oblivious sometimes.

OneGyT on December 18, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Mika mugged, then forced to listen to Scarborough talk about it

That’s like being mugged twice, why doesn’t Joe just cut her with a knife and pour lemon juice on it!

Liberty or Death on December 18, 2008 at 4:49 PM

think the real point of this discussion was not that Mika had been “mugged”, or that the hotel didn’t have the prper security, but that the cities are starting to fall back into the states they were in in the 1970’s, when no one with a brain wanted to live in them and you could buy a co-op on West End Avenue for $1 (because people didn’t want to pay their maintenance any more). People forget how these things go.

progressoverpeace on December 18, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Some cities at least pop. In Richmond, VA, just 100 miles south of DC, we are on our way to the lowest murder rate in over 30 years. Good news. Especially after New Years Day 2007 when a family was brutally murdered in their own home by monsters. We are also seeing a boom (now slowing) in new or renovated downtown apartment space. Strangely, that city does not seem to be subject to the huge economic swings that other cities of similar size have. All the more strange since most of our industiral and service base has left.

So all hope is not yet lost.

We must continue the fight.

riverrat10k on December 18, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Let’s suspend the freaky middle-aged white guys’ lusty HotAir comments about the victim for a moment and get serious: If you were robbed on your way to work and your job just happened to be the co-host of a national TV talk show, then why wouldn’t you want to talk about your experience?

Why don’t you talk about it and help the police to find the perp before he robs another person?

What if the perp gets violent with the next victim–wouldn’t you feel somewhat responsible for the next person’s trauma for not helping to shine the light on this injustice when you knew the spotlight was on?

With that in mind, it is a woman completely devoid of compassion and self-worth to wave off talking about her own mugging when talking about it on a national stage is not only cathartic but helpful to the public.

ScottMcC on December 18, 2008 at 4:57 PM

riverrat10k on December 18, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Yes. I didn’t mean to include all cities, but just the general trend, as I perceive it. Personally, I am not looking to fight this. I look at it as just the usual cycle of population flows in and out of the cities. We’ve had over 30 years of urban inflow and I see this general cycle coming to a natural end, for many reasons, though the perception of rising crime and skyrocketing taxes are usually the main triggers. But many of the younger people, today, have no idea that people have ever done anything but move into cities.

progressoverpeace on December 18, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Phew! I think you could be a little more generous to Mika, considering that the incident was still very fresh in her mind. Lots of people won’t be thinking that clearly soon or seeing the bigger picture you sketched out. That’s just human nature.

Kensington on December 18, 2008 at 5:04 PM

I’m reporting that mugger to the union. He didn’t stab her or nuthin’

LimeyGeek on December 18, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Phew! I think you could be a little more generous to Mika,

Kensington on December 18, 2008 at 5:04 PM

I agree … but I think I agree only because I find her so darned sexy.

progressoverpeace on December 18, 2008 at 5:17 PM

If you’re not busy, be sure to click on the Washington TImes link and read the comments. Apparently Miss Mika isn’t a 2nd Amendment Sister?

angelat0763 on December 18, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Zbig girls don’t cry. Zbig girls don’t cry.
They don’t cry, yie, yie.

(Sorry)

viking01 on December 18, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Apparently Miss Mika isn’t a 2nd Amendment Sister?

angelat0763 on December 18, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Nah, she’s a spineless wonder that rents her life from her murderer.

LimeyGeek on December 18, 2008 at 5:24 PM

$6 dollars – who the hell travels with only $6 on them?

What the hell?

jake-the-goose on December 18, 2008 at 4:20 PM

I usually have $0 on me as I very rarely use cash for anything.

angryed on December 18, 2008 at 5:28 PM

I usually have $0 on me as I very rarely use cash for anything.

angryed on December 18, 2008 at 5:28 PM

I’ve got twenty bucks-worth of bullets he can have.

LimeyGeek on December 18, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Not exactly what I had in mind when the word “mugged” was mentioned. Mugged implies violence, like being hit over the head and left for dead. This was more like extortion. A one man racket.

Count to 10 on December 18, 2008 at 5:36 PM

The threat of violence can in and of itself be very stressful. I think “mugging” applies in this case.

Kensington on December 18, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Scarborough, ” I got twenty Dollars for all of you. .
Bernie Getz “

I like Joe.

Texyank on December 18, 2008 at 5:46 PM

What are Mika’s politics?

I, like most normal Americans with half and ounce of common sense, don’t watch MSNBC.

If she’s a liberal, and she got mugged in Washington DC, a wonderful progressive liberal city, then guess what? It’s another one of Sapwolf’s:

LIBERAL DILEMMAS!

LOL, but I’d love to make him apologize to Mika, then kick his ass (for his own good), then give him my pocket Bible and educate him about how he can crawl out of the sewer and actually start thinking of God and others.

Sapwolf on December 18, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Kensington on December 18, 2008 at 5:38 PM

That’s right. If she whipped out a handgun and knew how to use it, it would have been stressful for the mugger.

Sapwolf on December 18, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Man Rush was hilarious on this at the beginning of his show. Good Lord…LOL

Dritanian on December 18, 2008 at 5:59 PM

So all hope is not yet lost.

We must continue the fight.

riverrat10k on December 18, 2008 at 4:51 PM

So what you are saying is that Richmond is different.

Just like Las Vegas was different. When I lived there all I heard was how a housing crash could never happen there because…well…LV is different you see. And an economic crash could never happen either, because, well, LV is so different.

Well housing prices are about 50% from peak and Nevada is almost #1 in the nation with regards to unemployment. I’m not saying Richmond isn’t a nice city. Never been there. What I am saying is don’t fall into the same trap as thinking you’re special, since you are most likely not.

As for the condo craze downtown…look to Atlanta to see how that usually turns out.

angryed on December 18, 2008 at 6:20 PM

ScottMcC on December 18, 2008 at 4:57 PM

She still looked a little shell shocked and almost embarrassed that it had happened to her. She also seemed to be worried that she would get in trouble – she said, “Great, Joe. Now my parents are going to yell at me for not waiting inside.”

I don’t think she’s selfish as much as she’s victimized and blaming herself and just wanting to forget the whole thing ever happened.

I don’t think her response is all that uncommon for people that have had their sense of safety shattered. I imagine that she’s replaying it in her head realizing that she had no backup plan for what to do if it turned violent. Though it was rather benign for a mugging, it was only because the mugger didn’t make it worse and not because she was able to defend herself. That’s got to be messing with her head right now.

JadeNYU on December 18, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Does this make her a conservative now?

ToddonCapeCod on December 18, 2008 at 7:23 PM

It was Henry Paulson.

roux on December 18, 2008 at 4:19 PM

LOL

Livefreeordie on December 18, 2008 at 7:39 PM

I have a crush on Mika.

Beautiful?…ummm, not really.

Sexy?….Hell Yes!

aquaviva on December 18, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I concur.

She is very cute. and very….VERY saucy.

Handel on December 18, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Its my experience (and this only works for guys that are mugged), that if you get mugged, say:

“ok..just relax””

…then pretend your going for your wallet and drop your pants, Drawers and all…
Then look at him and ask him with a really saucy wink and a smile:
“Got change for a 10?”

Guarantee ya….He’ll run and you will get out of being mugged.

Qualifier: Does not work..I repeat..DOES NOT WORK IF YOU ARE MUGGED IN SAN FRANSISCO!

Handel on December 18, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Interesting. I must be the only person here that would be 100% pissed off after they got mugged.

Clint Eastwood was right: America has become full of sissies.

ScottMcC on December 18, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Clint Eastwood was right: America has become full of sissies.

ScottMcC on December 18, 2008 at 11:15 PM

naw…just 50% of the country.

Handel on December 19, 2008 at 12:59 AM

Where were the Unicorns, butterflies, and rainbows that were to sweep the nation and rid us of all the ills of society?

csdeven on December 19, 2008 at 3:14 AM

$6 dollars – who the hell travels with only $6 on them?

jake-the-goose on December 18, 2008 at 4:20 PM

stfu

Jaibones on December 19, 2008 at 3:18 AM

I have a crush on Mika.

aquaviva on December 18, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Great looking lady. But what the hell is with Joe, who obviously meant well, but absolutely refused the stfu when Mika was completely uncomfortable with the whole conversation. At one point, she is actually talking to the producer while Joe blathers on, apparently in an attempt to shut him up.

Just…wow.

Jaibones on December 19, 2008 at 3:20 AM

This would have been wonderfully funny if when he said, “give me 20 and nothing will happen” she stuck a .380 in his face and said, “if you dont move on, everything will happen.”
But that’s a bit much to hope for in DC and with a liberal to boot. Where were the cops?

abcurtis on December 19, 2008 at 12:11 PM