Palin: No pay raise for me, thanks

posted at 6:51 pm on December 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

Good politics, good sense. She was absent from the state for two months; she got a monster raise just two years ago; state revenue is down thanks to the crash in oil prices; and the polish this will put on her fiscal conservative cred is worth more than the money anyway, especially with Blago in the news.

A new state commission appointed by Palin recommends boosting the governor’s pay from $125,000 to $150,000. The State Officers Compensation Commission says the lieutenant governor, department heads and legislators need more money too.

But if the commission pushes ahead with a pay raise, Palin won’t accept the money, said spokesman Bill McAllister.

“Her view is, it’s just not appropriate to accept a pay raise in the middle of the term.”…

It’s unclear if Palin would give the money to charity — as commission chairman Rick Halford predicted Tuesday — or simply not receive the extra pay.

Pay raises should go only to politicians who have excelled above and beyond all expectations — like, say, Congress. Exit question: How is this stupid, corrupt, and/or venal? An obvious explanation eludes me but I’ll be watching Olby and Maddow tonight to find out.

Comments

Oh and I forgot to link to the kicker. This is the great smack down of the ConocoPhillips Denali plan.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 1:23 AM

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 1:21 AM

Till next time!

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 1:24 AM

I agree with you. That’s why I think she should have tried to nip it in the bud with an apology and additional firings back in July. Just cut their legs out from under them, and move on. She could have filed a personnel board complaint in July for good measure. The best way to head these things off is to just blow up the bomb yourself, put all the information out there, and take all the blame yourself. That tends to take away the critics talking points, and gets the public on your side. I think that she tried to do that, but didn’t go far enough. She made a sweeping denial the first day then had to backtrack when she found the tape of one of her staffers. Better to have taken an extra day to get all the facts then dumped everything at once. Hindsight’s 20/20 I suppose.

meltenn on December 18, 2008 at 9:37 PM

She had nothing to apologize for. Her husband got involved because as is well obvious now the union and the Dems weren’t interested in doing anything about the trooper. Todd was frustrated and motivated by protecting his family…Sarah was a little busy running the state too…

It all boils down to this … those of us who like her saw this for what it was …politically motivated …those who hate her saw the scandal and whatever else they wanted to see

I’ll be very surprised if Palin runs for President…This country has changed and for her to run is a vicious proposition for her and her family…

CCRWM on December 19, 2008 at 1:37 AM

CCRWM on December 19, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Until Palin, I still believed that any American child could grow up to be president. Now, I just don’t know. The Democrats seem determined to lock the country down in a caste system…only lawyers with the right Ivy League pedigree, and membership in the right clubs since adolescence, can have real power.

Jim62sch on December 19, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Can’t we at some point just ignore low and slow? He is a thread hijacker who ignores all the good and thorough work some of you do rebutting his assertions…he’s just being difficult and ignoring info to keep some of you responding…I vote you give it two tries then blow him and other trolls off… my 2 cents worth…

CCRWM on December 19, 2008 at 1:58 AM

Jim62sch on December 19, 2008 at 1:51 AM

I’m worried about how evil, unethical and hypocritical a lot of the Left has become… Blago is basically only being reported by a few conservatives honestly…the Left is making excuses left and right and letting the big 0 declare himself clean…but the troopergate thing was on non stop and in a dishonest way…

CCRWM on December 19, 2008 at 2:02 AM

CCRWM on December 19, 2008 at 1:58 AM

He knows when he’s beat. He never brings up Matt Blunt anymore. And you’ll notice that he completely caved after it was made obvious to him that Palin is even more fiscally conservative than Blunt.

He’ll cave on the pipeline too. That’s why we answer him. It’s a good exercise in reasoning for us and it utlimately silences the nonsense.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:03 AM

Jim62sch on December 19, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Eureka College. That was Reagan’s degree. A b-movie actor with a degree from Eureka College. Oh, and he was a small market sportscaster too (just like another Republican governor we know).

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:06 AM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:03 AM

Agreed, it’s good practice – we need to be able to refute the stereotypes. The trolls have been giving up and going away – even benny shakur just phones it in now, with snarky comments that even he knows are ridiculous.

I’ve got no problem with discussing Palin with other folks who are willing to debate on an intellectually honest level. I also know that she isn’t always perfect and has some work to do to regain ground lost to the MSM smear campaign. I may even jump to a better conservative candidate, should one happen to appear.

Jim62sch on December 19, 2008 at 2:10 AM

From the Petroleum News article about the recent AGIA license signing to TransCanada:

Both project sponsors [AGIA and Denali] have expressed a willingness to collaborate under certain conditions. But for now the two projects are proceeding independently, and they may compete for customers during their respective open seasons. TransCanada is planning to complete its initial open season by July 2010; Denali is planning to begin its open season before the end of 2010.

When asked about the prospect of competing open seasons, Kvisle expressed confidence that the major producers would commit to TransCanada’s project.

“I think they do recognize our capabilities to do a big project like this,” he said, noting his company’s collaboration with ConocoPhillips and ExxonMobil on the Keystone and Mackenzie Valley pipeline projects. “They recognize the advantages of our Northern Pipeline Act in Canada, and they recognize the advantages of connecting to our system in northern Alberta.”

“But I appreciate … that we need to deliver a commercial proposition to them,” he added. Kvisle said his company would strive to keep the pipeline tariff to $3 or less per million British thermal units from the North Slope to Alberta.

[…]

Fairbanks area lawmakers attending the event [the AGIA license signing to TransCanada] hailed it as a concrete step forward.

“I’m pumped,” said Rep. Mike Kelly, a Fairbanks Republican. “I’m happy with exactly where we are.”

Kelly, Sen. Gene Therriault, a Republican from North Pole, and Rep. David Guttenberg, a Fairbanks Democrat, all said they expect the major producers to team up with TransCanada under AGIA, despite statements from Denali officials calling AGIA’s terms unworkable.

“I believe it will become clear as the clock goes forward that this is going to be done under AGIA,” Kelly said.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:16 AM

Jim62sch on December 19, 2008 at 2:10 AM

Agreed. No one is perfect. Often leadership is tragic — making the best of an awful situation. I don’t know if Palin would be a good president, but I know that she is a damn good governor of her state. And I think she is a good person too. I’ve watched the way she interacts with with her baby and her daughters and her husband and with people with special needs to see that she is kind and sincere.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:25 AM

Jim62sch on December 19, 2008 at 2:10 AM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:28 AM

Sorry for the double post!

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:28 AM

Crazy sarah and the Wasilla hillbillies… the gift that keeps on giving.

benny shakar on December 19, 2008 at 4:34 AM

Palin will not be POTUS next time! The RNC will not allow it! Quit dreaming you RUBES! Mitt Romney is the nominee and you have nothing to say about it! Listen to your little talk shows, send your precious dole in to the Republicans but in 3 years, they will appoint Mitt! “He came in second last time and it’s now his turn” will be the line! The party bigs run things and will let you know who to vote for. Your view means NOTHING!

sabbott on December 19, 2008 at 6:06 AM

Your sh*ts weak bonner shaker. Now get your head out of your boy hole and try not acting like a douche helmet for once in your life. You are a mental trainwreck who is so damaged and perplexed by the rise of Sarah Palin that it has resulted in you contributing your insanity to every Palin topic. However, it is nice to know that mental patients are allowed some time unconstrained from the jacket and able to use a computer. Just remember bonner, next time you hear the voices in your head and Morpheus asks you which pill you want, take the red one.

V15J on December 19, 2008 at 6:17 AM

Until Palin, I still believed that any American child could grow up to be president. Now, I just don’t know. The Democrats seem determined to lock the country down in a caste system…only lawyers with the right Ivy league pedigree, and membership in the right clubs since adolescence, can have real power.

Jim62sch on December 19, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Many people don’t realize that the theme for Bedtime for Bonzo, the movie that Ronald Reagan was mocked for starring in, detailed his experiments with Bonzo, a chimpanzee, to prove that the effects of environment had a lot more to do with behavioral development than heredity, pedigree. club membership, and family name. Isn’t that ironic?

technopeasant on December 19, 2008 at 6:38 AM

sabbott

I feel your pain and agree that we were schmucks to let the media and party elites chose our candidate. I know we’re in for a rough ride whenever I have to hold my nose to vote for a “Republican” (Bush 41, Dole and McCain). If we want to change the outcome, we have to control the playing field. It will take organization, money and leadership…and we’d better be damned careful about who’s leadership we trust. I also believe we have to start now or we will just end up cursing the darkness again in 2012.
Maybe I’m just a glutton for punishment, but I don’t want to sit back and watch the Obama ugliness unfold. I want to fight back before the terrorists take over the plane. If I go down, I want to do it swinging and cursing, not cowering and whimpering. There are so many good examples we can draw from in history. What do you say, Conservatives…shall we roll or just roll over?

SKYFOX on December 19, 2008 at 6:49 AM

From my vantage point the biggest challenge that the Republican base and its representatives have to overcome to defeat Obama in 2010 and 2012 is self-inflicted: in their desire to perserve their moral integrity and live by their moral compass, they will foolishly constrain themselves or not deign themselves to stoop to getting ‘down-and-dirty’ in a political sense: to fight fire with fire to prevent voter fraud and from Democrats stealing elections, when Obama sends one of your guys to the hospital, in a defamatory sense, you send his to the morgue (The Untouchables),that you raise so much money that you become accused by ‘purist’ cynics of being corrupted by ‘filthy lucre’, that you develop a tight-knit organization worthy of the Mafia, and that you wage an old-fashioned, two-fisted barroom brawl, drag-it-out, take no prisoners campaign that never gives an inch on principal, concedes any American electoral votes, or restrains itself out of ‘white guilt’ and having as its only goal to destroy the insidious Obama machine and its radical Socialist agenda utterly and across-the-board including all its mean-spirited,sinister allies, the MSM and the nutroots. To all Republicans: prove me wrong!

technopeasant on December 19, 2008 at 7:28 AM

Speaking of Sarah, Jonah’s column today is pretty good.

Cinderella vs. the Barracuda
A perfect example of the bowel-stewing self-indulgence of elite liberalism.

Sparky on December 19, 2008 at 8:31 AM

CCRWM on December 19, 2008 at 1:58 AM

I disagree, The game has changed, we aint on defense any more they are.

philly_PA on December 19, 2008 at 8:37 AM

benny shakar on December 19, 2008 at 4:34 AM

sabbott on December 19, 2008 at 6:06 AM

Is this really the best that you guys can do? This is almost like “The Matrix” in that we (like Neo) dodge bullets much faster than the wisdom and wit fired off by guys like you two.

Benny: Trolling for news about family members of newsmakers adds nothing to the current conversation about Palin’s decision to skip the pay raise. Pathetic.

Sabott: There may be big party bosses, but their power comes from the consented, and if the grass roots really wanted to, they could pull that power back by virtue of withheld monetary contributions to the RNC, not to mention other tangible actions.

Palin is smart, and knows politics better than many would give her credit for. I expect her to do what is best for both her country and her family, just like she has always done.

itzWicks on December 19, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Great job, Sarah! Can we fast forward to 2012, please!

james23 on December 19, 2008 at 9:30 AM

I love this honorable Woman more and more every day. But even I think she might not be our choice in 2012… OK, WAIT, hold the flames guys… I do think she will be on the ticket, and I want her to be… Just not sure about the “top” spot yet… I also like what I’ve seen (so far) from Sanford. As you all know by now, I’m demanding LEADERSHIP based on core values on Conservatisiam, someone who can articulate and “sell” those to the American populace, someone who can and wants to “teach” Reagan Conservatisiam. So while I love her morals and values, I want to watch and see how she handles the comming of the Messiah and his henchmen. We have time for 2012, what we should ALL focus on is 2010 and getting a crop of hard nosed, hard fighting, core principaled Conservatives running to take back Congress.

Mark Garnett on December 19, 2008 at 9:44 AM

GO SARAH!

SARAH is the real deal–She is my candidate in 2012!

Herb on December 19, 2008 at 10:01 AM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:28 AM

If Sarah Palin runs in 2012, she will have the handicap of what the MSM did to her in 2008 (the stumbles in front of Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric), but she will also have advantages:

1) Not having to distance herself from President Bush. Obama will be the incumbent, and can be blamed for anything that goes wrong, and Palin (or the Republican nominee) will be the “Change” candidate.

2) Running in her own right, without having to stick to McCain’s message. Sure, she could learn a lot on foreign policy from McCain over these next four years, but she wouldn’t be saddled with McCain’s messages on global warming, ANWR, campaign finance, and immigration.

3) More experience. With Senator Stevens out, if Palin runs the state of Alaska well, and Alaska is perceived as a well-run state while Obama runs the rest of the country into the ground, she can be perceived as a leader (like Jindal or Romney) who can get things done right.

4) Better handling of the media. Sarah Palin stumbled in MSM interviews, because she wasn’t aware of how vicious the MSM in the Lower 48 is against Republicans in general, and she allowed them to spin her as “stupid”. If the MSM focuses attention on Palin as “the crazy Governor who lost the election for McCain” and Palin replies with cogent, well-thought-out responses (which she can do when she knows the issues), voters will start taking a second look at her, and she will make sense to them.

IMHO, The problem in 2008 was that she was thrust onto the national stage too fast before she had time to master all the issues and got caught flat-footed a few times, whereas she was very knowledgeable in issues affecting Alaska, and could debate policy details with the best of them. I’ve listened to her debates in the Alaska Governor’s race–she was sharp and articulate and clear! She now has four years to bone up on issues affecting the Lower 48 (or at least the swing states), think through a solution, and present it to the American people. She may or may not be the strongest GOP candidate for 2012, but she will be much stronger than she was in 2008.

As for the issue of the pay raise, she is right on target. She is showing by example that she’s not in it for the money, but, as she said in her RNC speech, she has a servant’s heart.

Steve Z on December 19, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Yet another reason why this magincifant woman will be POTUS one day.

I love her.

Norwegian on December 19, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Hey Palin, if you are really serious, why not dock your pay for time spent campaigning? That sound about right, AP?

Weight of Glory on December 18, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Palin campaigned for what…? two months plus a few days. The Messiah campaigned for what…? two years +. When was his US Senator’s pay docked and when did he turn down a pay raise. Gosh…I don’t know. Maybe NEVER! Does this mean he’s not really serious?

sdd on December 19, 2008 at 11:12 AM

but Congress took theirs. What a Wonderful Life. eh?

johnnyU on December 19, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Sarah is refusing the pay raise either way. It hasn’t been approved yet anyways…. so why is everyone freaking out about it?

It isn’t your Gov. Get a grip.

upinak on December 19, 2008 at 11:16 AM

At the rate the MSM is self destructing, the media climate could be completely different the next time around. {Barring the Fairness Doctrin of course.}

davo on December 19, 2008 at 11:28 AM

The Republicans have a big problem with conviction, which is why they always get creamed when it comes to hardball politics. How many important figures in the GOP behave as if they truly believe in conservative principles, or have a coherent rebuttal to Democratic socialism? John McCain certainly didn’t. His highest poll numbers came after his convention, partially because it was the only time he looked like the proud war hero that he is. He spent the rest of his campaign seeming faintly embarrassed that he was running against Obama at all, as if he needed to apologize to the voters for daring to suggest they support him instead of the Lightworker. Voters never respond well to timid politicians.

This lack of confidence is an especially big problem in today’s social environment, which is ruled by emotionalism. Much of the electorate responds solely to emotional appeals, with the use of reason actively denigrated as “unfeeling” or “out-of-touch.” I don’t know if this sad state of affairs can ever be remedied, especially while liberals control the culture and education system, but meanwhile the successful GOP candidate must be able to speak in the emotional language of the day. Too many Republican candidates are dry and dispassionate, using graphs and charts to communicate with a child-like electorate that responds to puppets and balloon animals.

Sarah Palin is good at this kind of emotional communication, and she has a lot of the right conservative ideas. She’s also part of the culturally conservative, religious wing of the Republican party, which is the only faction that has the passion to express conservatism to the electorate in moral and emotional terms. Unfortunately, the problem with an emotional politics dominated by the other party is that feelings can be chiseled into the electorate through repetition. The attacks against her ranged from irrelevant to absurd, especially given the shadowy, inexperienced figure at the top of the other ticket, but they were made with enough passion and repetition to stick, and give her a lot she needs to overcome. Her challenge is to write a new narrative for herself, and to remember that in today’s culture, the portraits of politicians are drawn in crayon.

Doctor Zero on December 19, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Allah-Would you please stop with the demeaning picture of Gov Palin? I’m tired of it and it really ticks me off!

Buckeye Babe on December 19, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Somebody suggested a HotAir convention in Vegas…

I say we all go to Alaska. Perhaps start it up with an AK tour, have a great lineup of media conservatives and bloggers, GOP current and future prospects, and close it up with Sarah and her “Palin Doctrine” followed with a meet and greet.

No problem here with a weeklong stay; will take my kids, my Great Pyrenees and leave DH with the cats at home…tee hee hee!!

ProudPalinFan on December 19, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Doctor Zero on December 19, 2008 at 11:32 AM

+10

I eagerly await her campaign memoir. I think she needs to define her western frontier conservatism.

In an old article about Palin when she was running for governor, the writer noted:

You can ask Palin almost anything and she’ll end up on Alaska’s constitution and her beliefs that the best government is small and that competition is good, and what an honor it would be to serve you. And it works.

We have the core tenets right there: Constitution, small government, free market, servant’s heart.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 12:11 PM

ProudPalinFan on December 19, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Come on up.. I will take you fishing. And bring the Pyrenees, I miss mine. He was a great dog!

upinak on December 19, 2008 at 12:16 PM

upinak on December 19, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Can I come too? I have no dog, am a hopeless city slicker, and don’t even own a fishing rod. But I would love to go fishing in Alaska!

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 12:29 PM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I’m a little nervous about the book myself. She needs to find a ghostwriter with the right take on it. I think joey originally linked to this lady. I’m in favor of her. How do we suggest her to the Guv?

Shell vs the 9th Circuit Court re: drilling in the Beaufort Sea. Check out the comments where Achance, he’s a local, explains some of the inside baseball stuff pretty clearly and concisely.

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 12:33 PM

upinak on December 19, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Well, it everybody else is going…I could bring my sister’s dog. She’s a bearded collie mix, pretty darn cute and very well behaved. She loves snow too.

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 12:38 PM

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I linked to that writer a while back. I found her through Robert Stacy McCain’s blog. She used to work for him. I think we should make a thread about her on Team Sarah — maybe that will draw attention to her ideas for the Palin memoir.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 12:45 PM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 12:29 PM
meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I have extra poles.. dogs are all invited.

Just bring a older kitten. I had to put my purr-baby kitty down yesterday… total kidney failure :(

upinak on December 19, 2008 at 12:47 PM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 12:45 PM

My bad, I didn’t go back and look up who posted the original link. A thread could work. Maybe an email to the right person on her staff? Have to keep that kind of thing off government email though since it’s not state business. Not sure how you’d figure out who to send it to. I don’t know, I just want her to stay away from people who want her to write some kind of tell-all. If she’s serious about a national run in the future she needs to make sure it’s a serious, well-written book that doesn’t burn any bridges. I’m sure there are lots of other people out there who could do a good job, but I like that lady’s ideas and she certainly seems to be a good writer.

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 12:56 PM

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Great comments from Advance.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 12:57 PM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 12:57 PM

He’s retired from state government I think. He’s not a fan of Palin, but he’s not really overboard about it like some people. And, IMHO, sometimes he makes some points worth thinking about in his criticisms (sometimes he’s a little salty, but he’s usually not nasty about it). He seems pretty sick of the constant criticism of her over ridiculous things too, and I think he’s especially annoyed that the message boards on the local newspapers have been taken over by Outsiders. If you click on his name in the comments it’ll take you to his profile.

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 1:19 PM

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 1:19 PM

He’s a Murkowski guy. That makes me skeptical right off the bat, but I’m interested in hearing what everyone has to say — especially if they are rational. I don’t think Murkowski was a crook, but I don’t think he was trustworthy. Just my sense.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 1:31 PM

upinak

Hey man if you get overloaded, I have a boat and poles of my own and I would be happy to help you share the beauty of Alaska with the HA crowd. Hell I even have my own dogs.

akoilfieldtrash on December 19, 2008 at 1:33 PM

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 1:19 PM

BTW, I find RedState so difficult to navigate. I don’t get it. It just seems like a jumble of threads with no organizing principle.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 1:34 PM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 1:31 PM

He worked under Murkowski, but he’s a career bureaucrat and worked under other guvs too. I think he’s more of a Young and Stevens guy (from which you can probably infer a lot), but I don’t think he’s mortally opposed to Murkowski either. I definitely agree that it’s something to keep in mind when you read him, but I like getting his perspective sometimes since he has some insider experience.

I agree about the navigation over there. I think they’re talking about redesigning. At least the page is fairly clean considering how many contributors they have.

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 1:51 PM

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 1:51 PM

I liked his comments about the budgeting process and the fact that the old bipartisanship is likely gone now because the Alaska Dems will try to cripple her any way they can, and the Alaska Republicans don’t like her. She’s in for tough times now. It’ll be interesting to see how she handles it. The big question is: Was it worth it? Was running with John McCain worth it? She lost her stellar approval ratings, alienated some of her constituents and legislators, and was eviscerated by the MSM and leftwing loons. She’s had her emails hacked, her family attacked, and her image shellacked by her own campaign handlers. And in the end the guy who picked her wouldn’t even come to her defense when his people spread anonymous smears about her.

Worth it? Yeah, perhaps. She was catapulted into political stardom in a way that would have been impossible for someone with no disposable income to run for president. How would she have ever been able to raise enough PAC money to get a campaign off the ground if she had remained the popular but little known governor of our Last Frontier?

But she paid a very heavy price for her future political platform. I wonder if she sometimes has buyer’s remorse.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:02 PM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Here’s his diary/blog page. This one is interesting.

I wonder if she sometimes has buyer’s remorse.

I certainly would. I think she’ll take a long, hard look at it from a personal and family perspective before she decides on running. Right now I think she’s just trying to keep her options open, but when it comes down to actually making a decision she might think twice about it given what happened with her kids this time around. That’s just my take from an outside perspective of course, it may not be the case.

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Why should she get a raise, she already gets more than the rest of the folk living in the trailer park along with her daughter and her daughter’s mom in law!

Monkei on December 19, 2008 at 2:41 PM

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 2:15 PM

I read his “Brace for the Invasion” comment. I was totally with him until the last sentence: “It’s coming; they prototyped it here in Alaska already.”

Well, there was real and serious corruption in Alaska. The FBI did need to clean it out. You’re right about him being a Stevens/Young kind of guy. I’m beginning to suspect that Alaska has it’s own genus for Republicans and Democrats. They don’t quite reflect the same classifications the rest of us use (i.e., Rockefeller Republicans, “compassionate conservatives”, fiscal cons, blue dogs, San Fran Dems, blue collar, etc.). They’re just different up there. How else do you describe a Republican like Stevens and Young and a Democrat like Begich?

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Cinderella vs. the Barracuda
A perfect example of the bowel-stewing self-indulgence of elite liberalism.

I might have said “Horse face vs. Hockey Mom”, but hey, that’s just me.

thirteen28 on December 19, 2008 at 4:11 PM

I love Palin. She just rattles all the liberal cave dwellers into total derangement. Of course Neanderthals always fear someone more evolved than they are … stay classy!

Done That on December 19, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Monkei on December 19, 2008 at 2:41 PM

You have something against trailer parks and the people who live in them? Are you an elitist? It fits the Demo profile, for sure.

ddrintn on December 19, 2008 at 5:25 PM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 3:43 PM

You’ve got me. *shrugs* And you definitely have to read the guy with a critical eye, but he does bring up some good points sometimes.

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 5:37 PM

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 5:37 PM

He sure does. I enjoyed reading about the problems of implementing federal regulations from the perspective of a state government worker. I think he might be onto something about the problems Palin would face if the feds got into AK’s education NCLB stuff. NCLB is a disaster for a state like Alaska. If those remote rural schools fail to past the federally mandated tests, where else can the kids go? It’s not like they can shut them down. The challenges facing her state are very unique. We can envy Alaska its resources and wealth, but I don’t envy them the challenges inherent in settling a frontier.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Crazy sarah and the Wasilla hillbillies… the gift that keeps on giving.

benny shakar on December 19, 2008 at 4:34 AM

What’s wrong with hillbillies? I thought the Democrats were consumed with love for us little guys. I’m a hillbilly, benny. Are you saying you’re better than I am?

ddrintn on December 19, 2008 at 5:53 PM

ddrintn on December 19, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Got another hillbilly right here. Where are you?

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 6:04 PM

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 6:04 PM
ddrintn on December 19, 2008 at 5:53 PM

“Someone called me a redneck woman once. You know what my answer was? ‘Why thank you!'”
–Sarah Palin

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 7:41 PM

ddrintn on December 19, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Got another hillbilly right here. Where are you?

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Near Chattanooga, meltenn.

ddrintn on December 19, 2008 at 7:49 PM

ddrintn on December 19, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Cool. Got a couple of friends down your way. I’m in the northeast part of the state.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Nice, and she’s damn right too. I’m proud of where I’m from. I would like to state for the record that my immediate family does not actually fit with this song, but in the spirit of the season…

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 7:57 PM

ddrintn on December 19, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Not all that far away then. I’m proud of my state as well. It looks as though I’ll be heading for sky-blue NY for a while though, for work reasons.

ddrintn on December 19, 2008 at 10:02 PM

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 7:57 PM
ddrintn on December 19, 2008 at 7:49 PM

You two need to move to either North Carolina or Virgina before the next election. We’ve got to make ’em red again.

Or better yet, have lots of children, raise them to vote conservative, and send them out here to California. We need to repopulate the California GOP.

That was hilarious! My family would be more like “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” — though substitute Lebanese for Greek. I was trying to come up with a YouTube family tribute comparable to yours, but I couldn’t find anything. So I’ll link to this because it makes me laugh.

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 10:12 PM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 10:12 PM

I’ll try to remember those compliments from the end. :) I should probably mention that some of my extended family does fit with the song I linked…

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 10:28 PM

I’ll try to remember those compliments from the end. :)

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Just remember “you’re so exotic…like kiwi…”

My favorite is the compliment for inventing coffee. I betcha didn’t know that one? ;)

Hell, some of my extended family fits with the song. Just change the bean dip references to hummus…

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 11:13 PM

ramrocks on December 19, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Definitely didn’t know the coffee thing. Are you telling me that it wasn’t Juan Valdez? I feel so confused…

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 11:20 PM

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 7:57 PM

By the way, I assumed that you had seen video of the redneck woman quote, but in case you haven’t here it is.

ramrocks on December 20, 2008 at 2:34 AM

Before McCain introduced Sarah. I was going to write someone in for Pres. When Sarah was introduced as his VP pick. Then, I was elated! What a Woman! She has intellect, and morals. She is down to earth like most of us. She is not rich, and she doesn’t talk in big words. Simple words that hit the heart and soul. I love her and hope she runs soon! We need someone in office like her. She fought against her own people. That takes courage, honesty. She takes care of her State. May the Cuda come forward and kick some Liberal butt!

sheebe on December 20, 2008 at 12:21 PM

I wish Palin was becoming President, this nation needs someone
who actually ran a business and knows when to cut spending.
Oh well…..

dec5 on December 20, 2008 at 8:36 PM

meltenn on December 19, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Achance has known Sarah Palin almost her entire career, and he sits in on meetings with her sometimes. He is critical of her, but very fair. He posts on Redstate.

chunderroad on December 20, 2008 at 10:55 PM

I didn’t see ramrocks and meltenn’s links on that. achance has more of an agenda than I’d thought.

chunderroad on December 21, 2008 at 2:09 PM

chunderroad on December 21, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Yep.

ramrocks on December 21, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Monkei on December 19, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Man come round evey 4 yers or so say I vote for him he get a better trayla. He say Repbulcanns evil folk and we get rid of them then he can helkp me out. He say he love the poor folk like me.

yeah, he come bout evey 4 yer or so.

hawkdriver on December 22, 2008 at 8:07 AM

chunderroad on December 20, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Achance is also a very liberal man, who is critical of everyone whom is not a Democrat.

I post on redstate, every once in a while, and I don;’t trust him as far as i could throw him.

Besides the fact he lives in Juneau, so I am not sure as how he sits in on the Gov. Meetings unless he is working the Legislature again.

Sorry …. truth hurts and that man is nothing but a black spot in Alaska.

upinak on December 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM

upinak on December 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Once again, upinak sets us straight. I had the same impression. Glad to hear that I was correct. Do you have a link to your blog on Red State? I’d love to read more of your posts.

ramrocks on December 22, 2008 at 1:54 PM

ramrocks on December 22, 2008 at 1:54 PM

I do not blog on redstate or townhall, even though I have them. But if you know who I am here, you have a idea of who I might be over there. I have thought about starting a blog… but on Townhall more then redstate.

upinak on December 22, 2008 at 2:37 PM

He sounds to me like a sexist/bitter man….. The Governor kicked out all his republican cronies for the better of the state, sure it helped her politically but she still did helped the state in the process

An Era of Hate on December 22, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Gotta love Gov. Palin. “Pallin’ around with drug traffickers” and all. You betchta!

dakine on December 22, 2008 at 4:05 PM