Obama: I’m inviting Warren in the spirit of diversity

posted at 3:42 pm on December 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

Right, but diversity’s always been circumscribed to exclude extremist elements. There won’t be any Klan representation at the inaugural in the interests of “outreach,” for instance, nor should there be. The whole point of the left’s hysterically outsized outrage here is to compress the diversity circle so that Prop 8 supporters fall outside the circumference as “extreme” and unfit for civic participation. Framing this issue in those terms is a pretty stark way for The One to say he won’t go along, which means he’s mainstreaming them by implication. I wonder why. Is it because it’s just too politically risky to dump one of the world’s most influential Christians, or is he worried that if supporting Prop 8 qualifies as “extreme,” opposing gay marriage in principle — as he himself does, at least nominally — will be next? Cynical blogger says: The former, of course.

Jim Geraghty, feeling the spirit of the season, pities the fools. Exit question: If Obama believes gay marriage should be left to the states but doesn’t support the practice himself, why’d he oppose Prop 8? I had a long chat about this recently with an evangelical friend who distinguished her duty to oppose same-sex unions in Christian contexts (i.e. no church weddings for gays) from the state’s right to legislate how it sees fit, in an evenhanded manner. Ultimately, she explained, laws in a civil society have to be justifiable on non-religious grounds — a point The One himself has famously made in the past — and while it’s easy to do that for, say, anti-abortion laws, it’s not so easy for laws banning marriage between gays. Which was her way of hinting that the divine injunction against homosexuality and gay unions is inscrutable in a way that other moral commandments aren’t. Does Obama agree? My withered atheist heart longs to know which core values the Messiah thinks are dumb but holds anyway purely on the Lord’s ipse dixit. Click the image to watch.

Comments

So, Obama’s Diversity Chickens are coming home to Roost…

Janos Hunyadi on December 18, 2008 at 3:45 PM

52% of Democrat voting California is extreme.

BadgerHawk on December 18, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Despite its claims of tolerance, the one kind of diversity the left does not tolerate is diversity of opinion.

I doubt this was Obama’s original motive (I’d suspect that was a clumsy triangulation to the center), but at least he is providing comic relief. Of course when he starts appointing judges, the lefties may get the last laugh.

Wethal on December 18, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Here’s the definition of Change.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 18, 2008 at 3:50 PM

By Obama’s standards, this is him extending an olive branch AND making (he hopes) political points with the American middle. So be it.

I bet McCain would not have had the guts to bring in Warren.

doufree on December 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Well Bambi was at least honest that he would not nominate Justice Roberts or Scalia types, let alone Alito and the idiots of the Republic voted for him despite his think Ruth Bader G is the G-spot of justice….

to each their own I guess.

sven10077 on December 18, 2008 at 3:53 PM

There are legitimate secular reasons for banning gay marriage, just as there are legitimate secular reasons for banning me from marrying my horse.

As for Warren, I still don’t see why folks are killing the guy. Obama is the one that asked him to attend, so why aren’t people interrogating HIM about this? If I’m Warren, I accept his invitation in the interest of unity and good sportsmanship–who wouldn’t? Those who are lambasting Warren, though they will never admit it, are the divisive ones.

GoodSamaritan on December 18, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Ah um er um ah, I didn’t get you anything for Christmas Mr President Elect…um ah er ah, Thanks Merry Christmas.

Dr Evil on December 18, 2008 at 3:57 PM

“uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh”

ChePibe on December 18, 2008 at 3:58 PM

So I’m curious where it stops. What if my sister and I end up spending our declining years together and I have health insurance and she doesn’t. Is it incumbent on my current employer–through whom I pay into a trust to provide for my health (and any spouse should I acquire one) insurance until death–and the health care provider (Kaiser) to provide her health insurance as well because we are living together and financially dependent on each other?

Bob's Kid on December 18, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Does this guy have any core beliefs?

Gotta wonder.

Not that I’m complaining right now; it’s fun to see so many of The One’s True Believers being casually tossed under the bus.

Best case, Obama really is a Chicago politician who knows and appreciates the value of making a deal…

Bruno Strozek on December 18, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Every child deserves a father and a mother.

Find a religious message above.

corona on December 18, 2008 at 4:05 PM

The Left’s definition of diversity includes everything from mainstream Democrats to far left moonbats. That’s why Che and Castro and Mao are o.k., but Rick Warren isn’t.

rbj on December 18, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Only Nixon could open up a China… or something along those lines.

mankai on December 18, 2008 at 4:07 PM

I think his opinions on this are purely political. I don’t think he’s personally religious at all, but understands the political realities that at the presidential level you have to at least pretend. Maybe he struggles with religion on a personal level, but he strikes me as very calculated and detached about matters of faith. Joining Trinity was a calculated political decision in my opinion (it also probably appeased his wife). It helped give him a base of support for his state senate runs, and a tie to the community.

I also think he likes to see evidence of things. Believing without seeing is one of the central tenants of modern day Christianity (‘Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” [John 20:29]).

While I am personally religious, I don’t have a problem with it if he’s not. Others likely would.

meltenn on December 18, 2008 at 4:09 PM

I bet McCain would not have had the guts to bring in Warren

McCain who

ToddonCapeCod on December 18, 2008 at 4:11 PM

McCain who

ToddonCapeCod on December 18, 2008 at 4:11 PM

some Democrat ran for some office somewhere half-heartedly….

John or Juan or something….

sven10077 on December 18, 2008 at 4:12 PM

I think Warren’s a good choice. He can’t call up Wright, Billy Graham is no longer making many public/taxing appearances, and there is a tradition of having a prominent religious representative.

Who else is he gonna ask to do the invocation that will be acceptable to most Americans, have the necessary public experience to deliver a message with effectiveness and grace, and be well known enough so people won’t be asking “who’s that & what’s he doing on the stage?”

cs89 on December 18, 2008 at 4:13 PM

I belive there was an former gay activist (renounced activism, and in fact homosexuality) who summed it up this way:

Gay activist events are like the village people: You can wear any silly costume you want as long as you all sing the same stupid song.

BKennedy on December 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM

I bet McCain would not have had the guts to bring in Warren.

doufree on December 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM

McCain would have invited Wright…and Pfleger.

BuckeyeSam on December 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM

McCain who
ToddonCapeCod on December 18, 2008 at 4:11 PM

some Democrat ran for some office somewhere half-heartedly….
John or Juan or something….
sven10077 on December 18, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Isn’t that the guy who has an abysmal record of voting with conservative like – only seven percent of the time or something like that? YEAH! That’s one one. Unlike Obama, who in 2007 voted with us 80% of the time. That’s right! You have a good memory sven of the ‘some democrat’ guy Juan. Mazel Tov sven!!!!!!!!

wise_man on December 18, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Oh I see, diversity . . . so I guess we can also expect to hear from atheists, devil worshipers, anti-America Muslims and all other Christian hating religions and sects. This poor Republic is sick, sick, sick.

rplat on December 18, 2008 at 4:19 PM

JiangxiDad, on the “atheist” thread said that Obama is an atheist. Anyone who had any doubt is a fool. Obama has the Machiavellian capacity to fool anyone. He can lie to all the people, all of the time – why? because the media are in an inseparable dog-like coitus with him. They’ll wake up spent, in a bout two years.

Obama robbed the LGBT’s banks during the election and now gives them a big finger. When he eliminates the “dont’ask, don’t tell” in the Military he’ll say to the evangelicals “I had Warren give my inauguration invocation”. He is ointed with all kinds of no good lotions. Deserve him, all of you who wanted him.

Entelechy on December 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM

BuckeyeSam on December 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Oh, don’t be so coy buck eyed sam!!! McCain would have brought along his life long spiritual coach and co-author of his many books – you know, that guy from the texas church who endorsed McCain and baptized his entire family, that white racist best friend of his. whats his name, big, fat texas preacher … I can’t recall his name. Anyway, that is McCains best friend and spiritual mentor. Wright and Pffllaagggerfffferrerer mean nothing to McCain, you little scamp, you!

wise_man on December 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Silly Obama. Liberals don’t want diversity – they want everyone to be made to agree with them.

DamnCat on December 18, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Warren should have not agreed to this .Remember this Rick Warren when you hang around libs you get fleas.

thmcbb on December 18, 2008 at 4:30 PM

wise_man on December 18, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Why do you defend McCain so strongly?

I definitely understand defending him during the election when it’s an either/or sort of thing. McCain (to me) was certainly better than Obama.

But, now that the election is over, what is it about McCain that causes you to defend him so staunchly every time something is said about him?

If you were that quick to defend any Republican that were insulted on HotAir, I’d understand, but this seems to be a support that you have for McCain. I was wondering if you know him or have dealt with him at some point in your life in a way that left you with a strong sense of support for him.

JadeNYU on December 18, 2008 at 4:31 PM

For many of us, Warren is essentially a theological liberal anyway (considering the starting point).

mankai on December 18, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Isn’t that the guy who has an abysmal record of voting with conservative like – only seven percent of the time or something like that? YEAH! That’s one one. Unlike Obama, who in 2007 voted with us 80% of the time. That’s right! You have a good memory sven of the ’some democrat’ guy Juan. Mazel Tov sven!!!!!!!!

wise_man on December 18, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Take the timeline long enough and Lenin voted with us some when he installed the NEP.

Next election I’ll take the Republican choice for the Republican nomination since allowing the moderates, donks, and RiNOs to pick Juan gave us Bambi.

sven10077 on December 18, 2008 at 4:38 PM

He only picked Warren because Reverend Wright had a previous engagement & Rev. Jesse Jackson threatened to cut his balls off.

Obama should have picked Franklin Graham, Billy Grahams son. That would have continued with tradition.

portlandon on December 18, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Obama’s finding out what the radical gay movement’s idea of “tolerance” is.

Brand your opponent a bigot, a monster, a homophobe, and eliminate their right to speak or be involved in the political process through coercion.

Tolerance remains, as it’s always been to the left, a one-way street.

Credit where it’s due to Obama for tapping Warren, and for not backing down. (For the moment anyway.)

Hawkins1701 on December 18, 2008 at 4:40 PM

My guess is Barack Obama personally is much more a supporter of gay rights but many in the Democratic base (Hispanics and African-Americans) aren’t therefore he’ll say he’s against redefining gay marriage during a debate but when it comes to actually supporting Prop 8, he leans to cultural left side and is against Prop 8. That’s just might opinion. Just like with any politician his words aren’t going line up with his actions.

terryannonline on December 18, 2008 at 4:41 PM

I don’t know Jade N Y U … why do others attack McCain so strongly?

Thats a question I’d like to see answered.

wise_man on December 18, 2008 at 4:44 PM

I’m glad he picked Warren.

CP on December 18, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Because hussein is nothing more/nothing less then smoke and mirrors, his ticket was about “change” not truth.

christene on December 18, 2008 at 4:50 PM

I don’t know Jade N Y U … why do others attack McCain so strongly?

Thats a question I’d like to see answered.

wise_man on December 18, 2008 at 4:44 PM

I attack the backstabber because he stabs backs. I backed the backstabber because the democrats managed to find someone more loathsome, and the Backstabber maintained his standards and refused to stab Bambi’s back. John McCain has to be timed defending Republicans and Republican beliefs using a sun dial but he can be timed defending donks and the me$$iah using an atomic stopwatch.

I gave a nice sum of money to a man I politically loathe to defeat someone I morally hate. He did not perform up to even my shallow expectations. Had he not chosen Palin I would be donating money to his likely primary opponent.

Muck FcCain the Vietnam war was um like when Barack was 5…..

so many openings to hit Me$$iah the lightworker that Juan couldn’t bring himself to go through….

sven10077 on December 18, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Muck FcCain

Hey, that’s funny. As much of teh funneh as when the liberals put bumperstickers on their cars with “Buck Fush.” I hope you are proud. You are a great example of what the anti-McCain crowd here epitomizes.

wise_man on December 18, 2008 at 4:55 PM

wise_man on December 18, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Set the wayback machine I was castigated at CQ for “not being fair to Juan” and I said then that when he got the nomination I would put aside my distaste for him and campaign for him. I did with enthusiasm, I gave time to the GOP and money I held up *my* end of the bargain. Juan Queeg forgot that not wanting any other Republican to have the nomination is not in itself a good reason to run.

There were no less than a half dozen other Republicans I’d have rather seen tank the race with the aplomb that “Mr. Suspension” did.

He should do commercials for Dayquil about “you can’t let every event knock you out of the race”….

yeah the newsies weren’t fair, but to be fair we all knew that:

1) they got him the nomination but would drop him for the prom queen

2) that Juan couldn’t be bothered to profess Republican values loudly when he spent the last eight years crapping on them.

The GOP got what they paid for this race, I hope we have learned our lesson and never run Colin Powell’s top choice for “also ran” again…

sven10077 on December 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Short version: I guess Jonathan Cruchley gave to the right candidate after all.

Long version here.

petertheslow on December 18, 2008 at 5:04 PM

In the spirit of diversity? Meaning in his mind the straight Christian pastor is outside the mainstream?

I’m dead serious when I ask what has become of the value system of this Country? Are we really through?

FireBlogger on December 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM

FireBlogger on December 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM

the newsies control perception and perception is often mistaken for reality….

boycott the M$M and their network overlords.

sven10077 on December 18, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Such a value doesn’t exist.

Aronne on December 18, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Ha!

“Not YOUR monkey, moonbats!”

mojo on December 18, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Two in one day? Wow!

Liberal progressive hatemongers upset at Sal Alinsky Marxist reaching out to social club Christians.

Another of Sapwolf’s:

LIBERAL DILEMMAS!

Oh Joy! :)

Sapwolf on December 18, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Does it bother anyone else how much Obama stutters and stammers when he speaks. Without his teleprompter, the main form of speaking that he does is say err, uhh, emmm, urrr

It is very hard to listen to him answer any type of question. And people said Bush was bad…

texasconserv on December 18, 2008 at 6:44 PM

But I thought Rev.Wright would have those honours!

canopfor on December 18, 2008 at 6:46 PM

wise_man on December 18, 2008 at 4:44 PM

I don’t know. I suppose you would have to ask them.

I was never too excited about him as a candidate but I also don’t feel any great anger towards him now.

It’s more common to dislike/attack someone you haven’t met than it is to staunchly defend someone that you don’t know personally. I suppose it’s peaked my curiosity that you’re so vocal in your defense of McCain….as I said, I was just wondering if you knew him personally.

I don’t mean that in any sort of insulting way either (i.e. “You’re just defending him because you’re his cousin”). I think you make valid points in your defense of him, I was just curious as to whether there was a more personal story there.

JadeNYU on December 18, 2008 at 6:52 PM

I, for one, will actually congratulate Obama on a good choice here. Well for a change.

scrubbiedude on December 18, 2008 at 7:21 PM

I am SHOCKED… SHOCKED I tell ya that Gay and Lesbian types are pissed off about something.

SHEESH! that’s the first time THAT’s ever happened……

/sarc

44Magnum on December 18, 2008 at 8:05 PM

Obama has the Machiavellian capacity to fool anyone.

Entelechy on December 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Perhaps more like Sun Tzu.

All warfare is based on deception.

Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent’s fate.

Hence that general is skillful in attack whose opponent does not know what to defend; and he is skillful in defense whose opponent does not know what to attack.

MB4 on December 18, 2008 at 10:11 PM

RUSH IS RIGHT: Ten minutes after he speaks and for four years henceforth, Rick Warren will never hear one word from this President Obama or anyone in his administration. Don’t even try to phone or e-mail, Rev. Warren.

Marcus on December 18, 2008 at 10:31 PM

meltenn on December 18, 2008 at 4:09 PM

As an evangelical Christian, I have no problem with Obama’s not being religious, or even believing for that matter. It’s the pretense that I hate. If Obama is happy believing there is more than one way to Heaven, then fine. But, if he really believes the basic Christian dogma that Christ is the only way, then he should say so and not equivocate. I have the same issue with Bush.

abcurtis on December 19, 2008 at 12:35 PM

McCain would have invited Wright…and Pfleger.

BuckeyeSam on December 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM

In the spirit of reaching out of course.

abcurtis on December 19, 2008 at 12:37 PM

wise_man on December 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM

You’re thinking of John Hagee. I dont know if Hagee baptized McCain or his family or not but he did endorse McCain.
And while I might (and do) disagree with Hagee’s theology and homiletics(that’s sermons for all you Obama voters) I dont believe he is racist.
And I’m a big fat Virginia preacher, literally. I make Hagee look anorexic.

abcurtis on December 19, 2008 at 12:42 PM

I really think Obama’s selection of Warren is a pander or reach out to evangelicals like myself. He believes we are easily led and fooled so having a very popular evangelical pastor on the platform with him will maybe pull some evangelicals in behind him. The homosexual vote is small, something like 2%. So if Warren gets all palsy-walsy with Obama, then we will too – I really think that is Obama’s thinking.
Not bloody likely.

abcurtis on December 19, 2008 at 12:46 PM

JiangxiDad, on the “atheist” thread said that Obama is an atheist.
Entelechy on December 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM

I’m not convinced Obama is an atheist, but then all I have is his word to go on. How much is the word of a Chicago politician worth?
I am however, convinced he believes in a different Jesus than I do.

abcurtis on December 19, 2008 at 12:49 PM