Coleman’s lead over Franken now down to … two votes

posted at 8:31 pm on December 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

So says the AP; the Strib puts it at five. Either way, the distinguished gentleman from Saturday Night Live is within single digits of the Senate. Between this and the fait accompli of Caroline Kennedy’s appointment, we’re on the brink of a perfect ending to an utterly wretched year. Let’s get on with it. All we’re doing is delaying a court battle anyway.

Sen. Norm Coleman saw his lead over Al Franken in Minnesota’s U.S. Senate race dwindle to just two votes Thursday. Meanwhile, a key court ruling put hundreds of improperly rejected ballots in play and promised the recount would drag into the new year…

Coleman’s lead eroded all day Thursday as the Canvassing Board considered a pile of challenges brought entirely by the Coleman campaign. The pile included a big chunk of withdrawn challenges, many of which went quickly to Franken’s column.

The “key court ruling” is the Minnesota Supreme Court’s decision to count 1,600 absentee ballots that had been rejected. Who knows? By the time this is done, Stuart Smalley might lead by four digits. Exit question: What will Franken’s lead be by the end of business tomorrow? There’s no doubt he’ll be ahead. All we’re talking is margin.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Exit question: What will Franken’s lead be by the end of business tomorrow?

FloatingRock on December 18, 2008 at 10:49 PM

How angering this is. Fraud, anyone? It is certainly a distinct possibility.

Aronne on December 18, 2008 at 10:55 PM

The American free election system has been compromised. With organizations such as ACORN destroying the integrity of our system, and this embarrassing display taking place in Minnesota, it simply destroys what faith I had left.

Keemo on December 18, 2008 at 10:55 PM

I don’t know why the Dems even let him run to begin with. Is there any doubt that any other Dem besides Franken would have won this Senate seat with a large margin? Why did they even take a chance? terry ann

Because Progressives now dominate the Democratic Party and they are ruthless power-lusters devoid of even the metal shavings of a conscience, therefore willing to risk everything to remake the country in the image of their beliefs.

JDPerren on December 18, 2008 at 10:56 PM

The moment Franken leads by one vote Harry Reid will have him sworn into office no matter what Coleman does in Court. This whole process was a sham.

eaglewingz08 on December 18, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Hey, I may live in MN but I won’t let people blame me, or insult me. I did what any strong hearted conservative would do, I did vote the way I had to…. republican. But, I’m not on welfare, I’m not an illegal alien, and I’m not from Somalia, Mexico or any Islamic country either. What fricken chance did I have?…. WOLVERINES!

MNDavenotPC on December 18, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Washington governor’s race 2004… All. Over. Again.

Minnesota: Washington w/o “Marummy”, “Governor Dean” Logan, Rossifarians and Dinocrats.

I’ve been there, done that people. Would prefer not to see this happen again to us. Free advice:

#1. Find a good communicator, do it now. We had Mary Lane (now Mary Strow) and quickly branded her as “Marummy, Secretary of Defense for the State of Washington” because every time SecDef Marummy spoke… it was the truth to defend our vote.

#2. Keep Senator Coleman personable. Trust me on this. Let the new SecDef Minnesota do her/his job.

#3. Never back down on election law. Never. If need be, escalate.

#4. Do all you can to get this to Chief Justice Roberts. He’s whip-smart, very fair and feared by lefty loony-tunes because he’s both of those things.

#5. Prepare to lose. Too many times I remember in my studies the left wins (mostly) because of “count every vote”. We on the right need to immediately demand “count every legal vote”.

That’s all folks.

HotAirJosef on December 18, 2008 at 10:59 PM

MB4 on December 18, 2008 at 10:27 PM

You have a point. Perhaps, I shouldn’t be shocked but I still am.

terryannonline on December 18, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Coleman’s lead over Franken now down to … two votes

Al Franken didn’t win. Years ago the DemoOcrooks mastered the art of vote counting, and ply their skill very well to steal elections. The Pubs don’t get it, and apparently never will.

byteshredder on December 18, 2008 at 11:01 PM

mycowardice on December 18, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Aren’t liberals always talking about how divisive us conservatives are? Al Franken is divisive. Shouldn’t you equally be upset at the partisans on the left side of the aisle as you are with the divisive partisans on the right side.

terryannonline on December 18, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Keemo on December 18, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Okay then – don’t let it get close again.

HotAirJosef on December 18, 2008 at 11:04 PM

terryannonline on December 18, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Indeed. But Obama just picked Rick Warren, so I got my fair share of divisiveness in the last day.

mycowardice on December 18, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Stop making allegations of fraud!

This has to be the most transparent recount ever. All the canvasing board meetings have been on video, all the challenged ballots have been posted on the Sec’y of State’s website, and BOTH Franken and Coleman seem to want to have those absentee ballots counted (publicly at least).

Just because the wrong person wins, that doesn’t make it fraudulent.

YYZ on December 18, 2008 at 11:14 PM

I am now prepared for the rapture.

I have failed to obtain one of those bumper stickers that inform other drivers that in the event of the rapture my car will no longer be under human control. My car will, in fact, become an unmanned heathen killing machine.

Watch out heathens!

I’ll have to look at the Bible again to see if Franken is specially mentioned, but no matter…the end is nigh!

Dorvillian on December 18, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Im amazed so many Christians believe in that “rapture” tripe. I’ll state this unequivocally, Christ will not be returning in a rocketship with your name on it so that you all can blast off to Mars, put on some binoculars, grab some popcorn, and watch uncle jim and aunt betty on earth screaming in pain from the flamethrower that Nikolai the antichrist will be blasting against humanity. Aint gonna happen.

Your supposed to be working the field not hiding in some colony on the moon laughing at the rest of us here on earth having to deal with Nikolai.

True_King on December 18, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Off the fuc*er.

Coronagold on December 18, 2008 at 11:20 PM

True_King on December 18, 2008 at 11:15 PM

could there be a more simplistic, wrong representation of the rapture than you just provided? I think not.

MFn G I M P on December 18, 2008 at 11:22 PM

IMHO, Ann Coulter has the best take on this latest democrat theft.

Be as outraged by the Blago scandal as you like, but it doesn’t hold a candle to the democrats history of stealing elections.

DannoJyd on December 18, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Stop making allegations of fraud!

Just because the wrong person wins, that doesn’t make it fraudulent.

YYZ on December 18, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Sorry, but when votes in blocks of 100 here and there are being pulled out of someone’s ass after the fact, and they’re all for the same candidate, it sounds fraudulent to me.

ddrintn on December 18, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Would love to be a reporter in the first Franken news conference after his “win”.

“So, sir, how does it feel to have won such a hotly contested election through fraud, deceit and ballot-box stuffing?” … and follow-up question, “Do you think that your narrow margin of fraudulent victory and its taint on the electoral process will affect your ability to be taken seriously as a US Senator?”

AZfederalist on December 18, 2008 at 11:30 PM

As angering as this is, you know what? The Republicans will do nothing, as usual. We, the people, will do nothing, as usual.

If anything called for violence in the streets, it’s this.

But ‘we’ won’t, will we.

/end rhetorical question

Again, our founding fathers would be disgusted by our lack of balls.

Midas on December 18, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Oh dear. .. .. They’re doing it, again.

argos on December 18, 2008 at 11:32 PM

The state of MN is full of star struck rubes. Case in point: One of the members of the Supreme Court (Alan Page) was elected due to his pass rushing skills. The former member of the Minnesota Vikings is an arrogant jerk who spent about 3 weeks as a lawyer before running for the court. Of course the dim-witted squareheads up here elected him.

Rayhummel on December 18, 2008 at 11:33 PM

To cop a semi-famous quote, you have to get to know Norm Coleman before you can really dislike him. I’m no fan of Franken, but losing Norm is no great loss.

starfleet_dude on December 18, 2008 at 11:34 PM

We’re just going to recount until we get it right.

Mojave Mark on December 18, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Gosh, I’d like to think that Ed Morrissey would defend the integrity of his home state’s election process. But I suppose I shouldn’t hold my breath.

starfleet_dude on December 18, 2008 at 11:37 PM

starfleet_dude on December 18, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Remember that in future when the Senate has a filibuster majority of Dems and you see a flurry of things happen that make your stomach turn. Hell, they don’t need 60 Dems, they already have a pocketful of asshat RINO’s to work with – but every additional one makes it easier. Coleman may be lackluster in your opinion, but there’s a big difference; stop pissing on it.

Midas on December 18, 2008 at 11:37 PM

FWIW, Al Franken is pretty darn smart as well as gosh darn good enough. I still hate celebrity politicians though.

starfleet_dude on December 18, 2008 at 11:38 PM

starfleet_dude on December 18, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Every additional Dem vote is a *big* freakin’ deal.

Midas on December 18, 2008 at 11:39 PM

mycowardice on December 18, 2008 at 11:08 PM

I’m sorry Rick Warren may be a whole lot of things but he is not divisive. The man is meek and never struck me as a partisan. What are you talking about?

terryannonline on December 18, 2008 at 11:40 PM

terryannonline on December 18, 2008 at 11:40 PM

Wasn’t he one of the public faces surrounding Yes to Prop 8?

mycowardice on December 18, 2008 at 11:42 PM

A cheater never wins and a winner never cheats. I guess Al’s Mom forgot to tell him that.
Unless he’s just following in the steps of hussein.

christene on December 18, 2008 at 11:48 PM

mycowardice on December 18, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Yes he endorsed Prop 8 but that doesn’t make him a partisan hack. I consider a partisan someone who is out humiliate and denigrate someone on the other side of the political spectrum. Do you have any examples of Warren trying to do that?

terryannonline on December 18, 2008 at 11:48 PM

All this BS about voter fraud, Florida 2000, etc. is getting a bit annoying. The supposed big ruling from the Minnesota Supreme Court saying that they’d count the improperly rejected absentee ballots was telegraphed 2 weeks ago.

What the Strib didn’t highlight was the real heart of Sen. Coleman’s lawsuit. The Minnesota Supreme Court ruled that there would be uniformity from county to county in determining which which ballots go into the infamous “fifth pile.”

Anyone pretending to know this recount’s outcome is kidding themselves. That’s why Minnesota’s coservative bloggers are ignoring what the outsiders are saying about the race.

LFRGary on December 18, 2008 at 11:52 PM

If nothing else, I’d love to hear Bill O’Reilly have to say:

“Senator. Al. Franken.”

And watch his head explode.

starfleet_dude on December 18, 2008 at 11:54 PM

We’re just going to recount until we get it right left.

Mojave Mark on December 18, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Bishop on December 18, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Of course the dim-witted squareheads up here elected him.
Rayhummel on December 18, 2008 at 11:33 PM

That’s why we built the Northstar metro choo choo train, so self-absorbed Lake Calhoun liberals could feel just like big-city New Yorkers.

Bishop on December 18, 2008 at 11:59 PM

True_King on December 18, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Very odd post of yours, but I still have to ask, how do you know all this?

Please present evidence of your findings.

Bishop on December 19, 2008 at 12:01 AM

terryannonline on December 18, 2008 at 11:48 PM

I believe the discussion centered around divisive figures.

I’m tempted to ask you about cases where Al Franken has tried to humiliate and denigrate someone on the other side of the spectrum. Should I?

mycowardice on December 19, 2008 at 12:09 AM

If nothing else, I’d love to hear Bill O’Reilly have to say:

“Senator. Al. Franken.”

And watch his head explode.

starfleet_dude on December 18, 2008 at 11:54 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bill avoids that at all costs, or only talks about Al about some terrible story.

mycowardice on December 19, 2008 at 12:11 AM

The thought of Franken in the Senate is disgusting.

CP on December 19, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Of course the dim-witted squareheads up here elected him.

Rayhummel on December 18, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Well, in spite of my Northern-Southern snark earlier, that’s going a tad too far. I’m from Tennessee, and hey, we sent Al Gore to the Senate. What’s that tell you? Every state can sometimes have an overabundance of idiots.

ddrintn on December 19, 2008 at 12:18 AM

mycowardice on December 19, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Alright. How about this or this.

terryannonline on December 19, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Um, no. You seem to be confusing the Hiawatha light rail line with the Northstar commuter rail for starters. Considering that Lake Calhoun is nowhere near either, I can only conclude that your geographic knowledge of the Twin Cities is limited to you own ass. Assuming you can find it with both hands and a flashlight, that is.

starfleet_dude on December 19, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Alright. How about this or this.

terryannonline on December 19, 2008 at 12:18 AM

That first link was so funny! I guess no comedian would ever qualify for office if this is your standard.

mycowardice on December 19, 2008 at 12:34 AM

starfleet_dude on December 18, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Approval, sir, in my opinion, demands the attainment of perfection. And in that sense, you rather overrate the charms of that state’s election process. I’faith, for one thing, it does seem monstrous slow and ill at counting for any society, even a backward one.

PercyB on December 19, 2008 at 12:36 AM

I consider a partisan someone who is out humiliate and denigrate someone on the other side of the political spectrum….
terryannonline on December 18, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Gosh, that leaves even me as a nonpartisan and I wave the GOP colors :-).
That said, Pastor Warren deserves better than the smears. Obama is more and more becoming Bush, Term III (or we’re being fooled).

HotAirJosef on December 19, 2008 at 12:42 AM

starfleet_dude on December 18, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Nice try Moby.

Dreadnought on December 19, 2008 at 12:50 AM

You get the government you deserve.

If Minnesotans want the man who jokes about rape to represent them in the Senate, then by all means.

Bring on Stuart Smalley from Minnesota.

Hey, what a year it’s been for people securing political office with absolutely no qualifications.

Hawkins1701 on December 19, 2008 at 1:36 AM

infidel…..looks like its time to pickle the load, hug the ground and try to make it to Switzerland.

dmann on December 18, 2008 at 9:52 PM

The Swiss gov. is trying to take away the population’s guns, so, it isn’t going to be much better there for long. Sad. But, the Alps might be worth it…
;o)

Mommypundit on December 19, 2008 at 7:10 AM

JDPerren on December 18, 2008 at 10:56 PM

What a great quote!!

Mommypundit on December 19, 2008 at 7:14 AM

The GOP should just pack it up and go home. I mean come on people, if it can’t beat Al Franken, why even bother playing?

angryed on December 19, 2008 at 7:15 AM

LFRGary on December 18, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Y’all should listen to Gary. He’s been all over this from the beginning and he is one of the very best conservative bloggers in Minnesota. Click on the link on his post here and read his blog and see for yourself.

Mr. D on December 19, 2008 at 7:16 AM

True_King on December 18, 2008 at 11:15 PM

…and Bishop…

While I don’t think the original poster about the rapture intended it to be taken literally, I do agree that the “rapture” thing is hard to swallow.

I am, well, I’d like to think I am, a serious student of the bible. I try. I love the Lord. But, it is important for believers to not merely listen to the findings and interpretations of biblical texts which have only been recently (within church history) “revealed.” It is sure comforting to think that the church will be raptured before the tribulation of the saints, but, from what I’ve read and the vast majority of church fathers and teachers have consistently believed, is that the church will not be exempt from the tribulation and, although we will not suffer from the distinct bowls of God’s wrath, we will be persecuted. Any purveyor of history can see that Christians have been martyred. Now, more than ever before, Christians are killed or marginalized for their faith (mostly by Islam.) The history of the rapture theory is very, very young and was orignally from a Scottish woman (I believe) named Margaret Macdonald. It was privately recorded and then snuck its way into our current understanding of eschatology in the (wealthy) west. It is SO IMPORTANT for us to have a sober understanding of church history. This pretty much excludes Tim LaHaye and his “Left Behind” series. While there are serious scholars now who subscribe to the Rapture theory, many do not and MOST thoughout the ages of church history only saw ONE coming of Christ at the end, not two. This convolution of comings and goings is, in my opinion, borderline “extrabiblical” and all of us need to be prepared to “work the fields” and tell the good news in season and out.

Whether we go up then or now, brothers and sisters in Christ ARE enduring the tribulation in their lives…beheadings, burnings, underground churches. It just hasn’t touched us yet…pray and help them.

Mommypundit on December 19, 2008 at 7:30 AM

Might as well jsut give it to Franken. Give the New York seat to Caroline, give Uncle Teddie’s seat to his wife, give Obama’s seat to whatever corrupt Chicago pol that wants it.

Just hand them over to the dems and be done with it. They’re gonna steal or buy them anyway, so what damn difference does it make.

Let’s just all vote in a new amendment that says any pols progeny which comes along gets their seat.

Better yet, let’s just adopt a parlimentary system, our senate is turning into the House of Lords anyway, just get it over with.

Sorry to sound so cynical, but this stuff has just run me down…

catmman on December 19, 2008 at 7:30 AM

OT……and I am soooo sorry, but, let me add this:

There was a cultural mandate given in Genesis which occured even after the fall. It was to go out and reproduce, to make cultures, to subdue the land, to build infrastructure and government…and, ultimately, to worship God our Maker and, with the coming of Christ, to declare the good news. None of this has changed. We have work to do here and speculating on when and how He will come is not only NOT detailed in the bible, but, it is counter productive.

This, all coming from someone uber freaked out about all things apocalyptic, so, take it as you will.

Mommypundit on December 19, 2008 at 7:32 AM

Hee hee ha ha an obnoxious dork ex-snl’er is going to prevail. That must sting real bad.

Dave Rywall on December 19, 2008 at 8:10 AM

Dave Rywall on December 19, 2008 at 8:10 AM

If you call winning by hook or by crook, I guess he prevailed.

Personally, I call him a hideously ugly, depraved and lonely clown who happens to have equally ugly and depraved, albeit rich, people funding him and this piracy of an electoral process.

The people cry out for a King. Well, they now have their rulers. Enjoy your victory. One day, every action will be laid bare and one will wish they had been honorable in life. It is a good thing to have hope in one who will repay those who do such things…one day.

Mommypundit on December 19, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Enough for Obama to think about which Maine Sister he wants to pick off for a filibuster-proof Senate.

steveegg on December 19, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Mommypundit on December 19, 2008 at 9:01 AM
————
You really need to take a happy pill.

Dave Rywall on December 19, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Mommypundit

Well stated.It is the only solace that we have here in MN that, just as was done when Ventura was Governor, the idiocy of those who voted for said charlatan were found to be chagrined. It will happen this time should Franken prevail, which is still not assured. The arrogance and elitist comments already being spouted by those happy with this scenario so far will be met with a punch in the mouth. Take your Minnesota nice… Canuck!

MNDavenotPC on December 19, 2008 at 9:51 AM

I crack up every time I see that photo of Franken. Not an attractive guy, but that photo is hideous. Good job!

jcheney on December 19, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Chalk another victory up for the Democrats. They deserve it. They are bold, outgoing, and loquacious characters. Contrast them with the whiney, fearmongering, butt-kissing “leaders” coming out of the GOP. Bush Administration officials literally genuflecting in front of a sarcasting, smirking Nancy Pelosi. That’s all you need to know.

jay12 on December 19, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Funny,

how I get severely chastised and roundly criticized, whenever I tell someone I blindly pull the lever on a straight Republican ticket,

isn’t it.

franksalterego on December 19, 2008 at 12:02 PM

So Ed, remind us about how MN is renowned for honest elections.

If the RNC can’t even defend an election they actually won, then why should I give them any money for future elections?

jnelchef on December 19, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Damn, at this rate the best shot against Franken is him being arrested for tax fraud and corruption. (Yeah like that’s going to happen.) So who wants to update wikipedia to correctly point out Minnesota is no longer a state? (Since it doesn’t deserve it.)

Dave_d on December 19, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Dave_d on December 19, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Arrest? Looks like Coleman will beat Franken in that department!

mycowardice on December 19, 2008 at 12:20 PM

rrest? Looks like Coleman will beat Franken in that department!

Give him a year or two. I mean he’s already had scandals involving tax cheating and stealing from kids. Imagine how many he’ll rob after he gets in. (Admittedly he already has the lying part of the business down. He’s got at least 2 books proving he can BS with the best of them.)

Dave_d on December 19, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Our good Bishop is pretty defensive about the idiocies in Minnesota. Yes, we have them in California, see yesterday’s tax hike, wait, it was just (unconstitutional) fees, Illinois, New Jersey, Massachusetts – but why excuse any in Minnesota? You get the ‘leaders’ you deserve – we all do.

Fools……………… all.

Seven Percent Solution on December 18, 2008 at 9:56 PM

The fools are us. Not one was thrown out in the recent election in Calif. and they’re raping the voters. Must be masochists, most of them. Enjoy.

Entelechy on December 19, 2008 at 1:09 PM

This is insane!

This is quite the model of the lack of personal character and personal ethics. Doesn’t anyone care about integrity, honesty, and truthfulness anymore?

Sxyrzrbck on December 19, 2008 at 1:41 PM

You really need to take a happy pill.

Dave Rywall on December 19, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Nah. It’s Christmas and I have a handsome husband, two gorgeous kids, a Savior in heaven, money, food, parties to attend and plan, and plenty of friends. I come here for even more kicks. But, thanks for the concern, friend. Merry Christmas!

Mommypundit on December 19, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Didn’t mean to put God in the mix with money kids and food. He is first and foremost.

Mommypundit on December 19, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Mommypundit on December 18, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Soros has been Franken’s sugar daddy for years now, and I agree he’s likely bankrolling Franken still.

petefrt on December 20, 2008 at 8:43 AM