Obama: I’ll “gather the facts” about what my team knew about Blago

posted at 2:25 pm on December 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

He never spoke to Blagojevich personally, he insists, and is “absolutely certain” there was no dealmaking by anyone on his team, which is quite an assertion when the facts haven’t been gathered yet. Isn’t Jesse Jackson Jr’s whole defense that you can never be sure what your cronies are up to, since occasionally they’ll go rogue and try to make deals on your behalf unbeknownst to you (Jackson Sr insists it wasn’t him)? Assuming The One’s right that his own aides would never act so recklessly, the contrast tells you a lot about Junior’s management discipline.

As for the fact-gathering, there’s an easy place to start.

The presser was called ostensibly to talk about the economy and introduce Daschle, his new health-care quarterback, but the number of questions about the scandal shows that the media’s got Blago on the brain. Skip ahead to 1:45 for his initial statement about it and then to 13:00 or so for Q&A, including him calling on Blagojevich again to quit. (84 percent of Illinoisans agree.) Highlights come at 15:30, when he tries to contain his glee at being cursed out in the transcripts for refusing to play ball, and then again a minute later when a reporter asks him the question on everyone’s mind. The One, for once, has no easy answers.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Remember………Watergate was a third-rate burglary.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 11, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Yep. And then the Ohio government showed people what a joke the Watergate break-in was.

progressoverpeace on December 11, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Obama “I will” gather information…..

Doesn’t the President Elect have better things to do than doing the grunt work for Fitzgerald?

Like giving daily press conferences in front of the Office of the President Elect (OotPE)?

Sir Napsalot on December 11, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Like giving daily press conferences in front of the Office Orifice of the President Elect (OotPE)?

Sir Napsalot on December 11, 2008 at 3:36 PM

FIFY

progressoverpeace on December 11, 2008 at 3:37 PM

The One, for once, has no easy answers

Good Lord Allah but when has the One ever seem to have answers (or ones that are believable)?

Dritanian on December 11, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I suspect that eventually Axel will be tied to this (probably by governor 1) and it might even nab Emanuel. The latter is less likely as he would have been pretty busy trying to herd the cats that BO chose for his cabinet.
But Emanuel is tied in with the Chicago machine so governor 1 might have made the offers through him also.

Corsair on December 11, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Actually, since all the libs (and other idiots) are so excited by BHO being the “first”, I think I am going to call him the “Precedent Elect” from now on. Yay for affirmative action!

progressoverpeace on December 11, 2008 at 3:41 PM

He’s going to vet himself?

artist on December 11, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Silly post alert: this got the attention of my inner-ten-year-old. As in “I vaz zo scared I vet my-zelf!!”

Sorry, back to the serious business at hand….

RegularJoe on December 11, 2008 at 3:42 PM

How does he get from ‘no comment on the ongoing investigation’ to ‘I’ll gather the facts’ without interferring with a Federal investigation?

News2Use on December 11, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Hmmm. Rahm Emanuel is very testy today, so Barry may have to wait a bit to ask him what he knows or he might get a waffle thrown at him or something.

A Sun-Times reporter pressed him to comment about whether he was the emissary named in the criminal complaint.

“You’re wasting your time,” Emanuel said. “I’m not going to say a word to you. I’m going to do this with my children. Dont do that. I’m a father. I have two kids. I’m not going to do it.”

Asked, “Can’t you do both?” Emanuel replied, “I’m not as capable as you. I’m going to be a father. I’m allowed to be a father,” and he pushed the reporter’s digital recorder away.

Buy Danish on December 11, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Wow- I guess the Democrats really want to make up for lost time. Blago, Spitzer, Rangel- and just wait till Hillary starts charging China for having coffee with her.

Chuck Schick on December 11, 2008 at 3:50 PM

BTW- Hot Air Obama Drinking Game addition:

**if “blue ribbon panel” is mentioned- down a pitcher of PBR***

Chuck Schick on December 11, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Buy Danish on December 11, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Awesome. That’s a tell. Rhambo is rattled.

His children must be a handful. Probably bigger than him.

fogw on December 11, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Awesome. That’s a tell. Rhambo is rattled.

His children must be a handful. Probably bigger than him.

fogw on December 11, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Isnt Rahm 5′ tall?

Chuck Schick on December 11, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Isnt Rahm 5′ tall?

Chuck Schick on December 11, 2008 at 4:00 PM

In his 5″ stilettos.

fogw on December 11, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Alla,

The issue isn’t whether Obama will gather the facts. The issue is will he release them? Its always the coverup that gets ya.

Dr. Dog on December 11, 2008 at 4:06 PM

If Emanuel spoke with Blago I would assume he thought the phones were tapped, after all everyone knew Blago was being investigated. Knowing that, anyone who talked to Blago would make sure their conversation was “clean.”

Done That on December 11, 2008 at 4:10 PM

this is fun. i was able to watch the news all day because of the chicago scandals. then geraldo declared that he was certain that the body found in the brush in orlando was kaylee anthony. he knew this immediately. just watching this brilliance…..

anyway, blago has brightened up the news for me. i might just be one of the 16% that don’t want him to resign! ha

kelley in virginia on December 11, 2008 at 4:11 PM

This isn’t helping Rahm’s children.

David Wilhelm was quoted today saying “This is not the Rod Blagojovich I knew” as well. Awesome.

Tabris on December 11, 2008 at 4:15 PM

I wasn’t paying attention to the terrorist befriending socialist liar during his press conference earlier, because he never says anything worth listening to… but it was on in the background, and all I was hearing (as is the case whenever he’s not reading a prepared speech) is stammering and “uh-uh-uh”, and “let me be clear” and “I’ll say it again”. I’m sorry if it’s just me, but I’m really annoyed by how horrible this guy is without a prepared speech, when the only thing he ever had going for him is his eloquence. We endured 8 years of “Bush is dumb”, but do you think any of the late shows will piece together a montage of his stammering and “uh-uh-uh”ing, which I’d say easily rivals Bush?

RightWinged on December 11, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Done That on December 11, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Crooks don’t talk to crooks when they know that phones are being tapped. EVER

thomasaur on December 11, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Can we get a list going of Obama-isms?

1. Uh uh uh uh

2. Look…

3. Let me be clear

4. I’ll say it again

5. Let me stop you right there

6. Unwelcome distraction

7. This is not the…. that I knew.

Tabris on December 11, 2008 at 4:23 PM

just started the video, had to stop to comment.

- what the hell are they standing up for, and then he says you may be seated. he not the prez yet, give me a break.

kara26 on December 11, 2008 at 4:25 PM

kara26 on December 11, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Have they played “Hail to the Chief” for him yet?

cs89 on December 11, 2008 at 4:32 PM

The question on my mind is; if the Obama team knew that Blago was selling the seat, why didn’t they blow the whistle or assist the FBI in bringing him down?

landshark on December 11, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Can we get a list going of Obama-isms?

1. Uh uh uh uh

2. Look…

3. Let me be clear

4. I’ll say it again

5. Let me stop you right there

6. Unwelcome distraction

7. This is not the…. that I knew.

Tabris on December 11, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Seriously, someone really does need to get a list going, cuz the media and comedy shows never will. I’m just glad I’m not the only one who sees this crap, and is annoyed by it. This guy is every bit as stupid as Bush, if not stupider.

RightWinged on December 11, 2008 at 4:36 PM

I’m not bothered by his ums and uhs. I’m troubled by his manipulative bs. I couldn’t refrain from shouting at my computer screen when he denounced politicians who are not complete crooks themselves who behave “within the lines of legality, but still don’t fulfill the spirit of service” because they seek “narrow political calculations” instead.

Gee, sort of like you, Mr. President Elect! You mean “narrow political calculations” like those $1 million earmarks to your wife’s employer which resulted in a 100% pay raise for wife though her job responsibilities did not change?

This man has been running for president ever since his Harvard Law Review days. Everything he’s done since then was based on “narrow political calculations”.

ramrocks on December 11, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Just send Rahm up to the Hill to answer a few question, it won’t take long…and then we can move along with our business.

right2bright on December 11, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Crooks do talk to crooks if they know the phones are tapped and they want to say something specific on the record to the Feds. Like giving refusing to give anything except “appreciation” in return for an appointment to a Senate seat.

Done That on December 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM

I tried, really did, but was only able to listen to 15 seconds before I had to cut it off. I have not listened to BO’s voice since the election and apparently, still can’t. I’ll just have to read transcripts for the next four years.

SoldiersMom on December 11, 2008 at 4:45 PM

landshark on December 11, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Why indeed? Either it was because they didn’t want to be rats (because who knows what Blago has on them). Or because they wanted to have it both ways — i.e., they played it safe by removing their candidate (and thereby avoided directly tainting themselves) while at the same time they didn’t prevent another candidate of whom they approved (Jackson Jr.) from buying the seat. It’s the sort of “play along but play aloof” game that Obama has always played in Chicago politics.

ramrocks on December 11, 2008 at 4:47 PM

SoldiersMom on December 11, 2008 at 4:45 PM

I told the Mrs. the same thing this a.m.. I can’t stick with all of the ums and uhs without screaming at the tube and asking him to string together one coherent sentence while ‘making one thing clear’.

thomasaur on December 11, 2008 at 5:00 PM

BHO pretty much sounds like he’s saying: “uhhh… I did not have uhhh… contactual relations with uhhh… that man.” I suppose it depends on your definition of “contact”.

bmac727 on December 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM

I’m sure he’s going to be really busy working on this later this month when he’s on his vacation… er… trip to honor his dead grandmother… er… vacation in Hawaii.

President-elect Barack Obama, returning to his home state of Hawaii for the holidays, plans a beachside vacation at one of Oahu’s most exclusive properties, according to one insider.

Arrangements are being finalized for the Obamas and the families of two or three friends to stay at a Kailua beachfront location with three modern, multimillion-dollar homes, the Associated Press reported yesterday, citing an island resident involved in the planning. Each home wraps around a lagoon-style swimming pool, with palm trees, grassy lawns and retractable glass walls.

Obama and his friends plan to rent the privately owned homes for several days including Christmas, according to the AP’s source, a Democratic activist who spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to reveal the details.

Some Realtors and area residents said the Paul Mitchell estate in Lanikai is one property that matches the AP’s description of the oceanfront compound. The 1.3-acre beachside estate is a walled compound of seven modern Polynesian style buildings around a pool with a waterfall. The property, with seven bedrooms and 13,000 square feet under roof, rents for $8,250 a day in peak season.

That’s a lot of square footage, even for a Messiah.

Y-not on December 11, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Dear Progressoverpeace—

You are overestimating Harvard, Columbia or most Ivy League students or alumni if you think they notice how stupid this Tool is. You are giving way too much credit to a bunch with a belief system that is as congruent with his as twenty years of forming and shaping can make it. They also think He came out of that cesspool in Chicago unstained and chaste. They watched too many movies where the cool guy always beat out the evil nerd. And, for recent information, the media have mounted such a gross JFK redux that lifetime Democrats I bump into don’t trust them anymore!

One question: Why should anyone turn on The One when a pardon could be hanging out there? And don’t you say his buddies think he wouldn’t pardon them…

IlikedAUH2O on December 11, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Obama: “I..uum…oh…never…uh..spoke..ahh….to… Blagojevich…ahhh….ehh….personally”.
Can this guy utter a single sentence without sounding like a complete moron?
Norwegian on December 11, 2008 at 2:53 PM

The Black Caesar and I are about the same age and both grew up on the Cosby Kids and Fat Albert. I think he took the Mushmouth impersonation too far.

grdred944 on December 11, 2008 at 5:12 PM

y-not actually 13K in sf is not that big. Check Al Gore’s box.

P. S. I am a birther so somewhat suspect..but my time in Hawaii recently (2008) convinced me that he had no use for grandma or most (rich) white people. And if Mrs. Savior is similar to some downtrodden victims from Princeton and Harvard, she feels the same way and the US is basically an extension of that. I don’t know how the media misses this stuff….

Announce it here or call me if any evidence appears to challenge this.

IlikedAUH2O on December 11, 2008 at 5:16 PM

The cat’s out of the bag.

The cards on on the table.

Game over.

He’s been caught. Now he’s going to be shown for what he really is… a criminal who hangs out (present tense, not past) with crooks, liars, and cheats.

madmonkphotog on December 11, 2008 at 5:17 PM

y-not actually 13K in sf is not that big. Check Al Gore’s box.

IlikedAUH2O on December 11, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Well, it is his birthday, after all!
/sarc

I think that the square footage is an underestimate. They’re not even sure that’s the property, just that he’s rented three multi-million dollar homes to “honor his grandmother” in this month.

Y-not on December 11, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Maybe he should let Fitz gather the facts.

Fast facts from Fitz in forty days.

Steve Z on December 11, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Wolf watchin’the henhouse….

CynicalOptimist on December 11, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Can we get a list going of Obama-isms?

1. Uh uh uh uh

2. Look…

3. Let me be clear

4. I’ll say it again

5. Let me stop you right there

6. Unwelcome distraction

7. This is not the…. that I knew.

Tabris on December 11, 2008 at 4:23 PM

8. As I have always said…(followed by something he never said before)

9. Let’s talk about the issues facing the American people.

10. I will change the failed policies of the past.

11. (advisor’s name) spoke inartfully.

12. (crook’s name) is a respected member of the community.

As for your #4, doesn’t that resemble “Let me make one thing perfectly clear” of a President who resigned in disgrace in 1974? Does Oblabla want to follow in his footsteps?

Steve Z on December 11, 2008 at 6:34 PM

The question is is whether he can be pressured into assigning some deep federal investigative assets to Chicago to clean up this “shocking” matter. No matter how deep it goes…

joeindc44 on December 11, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Where’s that tranny flucker when you need it?

Leeeeeeeeave Baaraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhgggggggggggggggck aloooooooooooooooooooooooone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sob sniff boo hoo)

hillbillyjim on December 11, 2008 at 7:12 PM

“Blago? Uh…Never spoke to him. No sir-ee. Heck, technically I don’t even know him. Uh…In fact, uh…I’m not sure I ever even heard of him. What state is he governor of? Illinois? Boy…uh…I’m not familiar with that one. I…er…probably couldn’t even find it on a map.”

whitetop on December 11, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Let me be clear:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hillbillyjim on December 11, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Present.

hillbillyjim on December 11, 2008 at 7:25 PM

I’ll see your “Let me be clear.” and raise you one “As I have always said.”

You see, re-writing history is really not that hard, after all.

(Exit Question: How is: “Let me be clear.” any different than Nixon’s “Let me be perfectly clear?’)

It must be fun and amayyyyyyyzzzing at the same time to be so wrong and so stupid at the same time.

* hint———— It’s all about the liar words.

hillbillyjim on December 11, 2008 at 8:02 PM

AOL’s put up a poll about whether you believe the One or his staff had no involvement:

EconomicNeocon on December 11, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Done That on December 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Who was the idiot politician a while back who was screwing around and challenged the press to follow him if they thought he was dirty.. Then they got pics of him in flagrante delicto.

Don’t forget, there is a lot of post election confusion coupled with the fact that many politicians, especially democraps have had a complete ethicsectomy. When you are as dirty as the chicago polls you start to lose sight of the fact that you are dirty. It’s like when we used to go hunting and they had an outhouse. After a couple of days you get used to the cold and the stink.

So, maybe someone was dumb enough to discuss it and get into the 300 minute hall of shame. If you see a transcript with Uhm er ahm uh Let me be clear uhm, you know they got the big enchilada.

bullseye on December 11, 2008 at 9:28 PM

You know what, Obamanutball? I think the U.S. Attorney will gather the facts, but thanks for the offer.

Delusions of Messiah. What a frackin’ clown.

Jaibones on December 12, 2008 at 12:18 AM

IlikedAUH2O on December 11, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Hmmmm. Very good question. However, given the way the Precedent-Elect has been throwing people under the bus, left and right, their confidence in any future actions might be a little thin. But your point must be taken into consideration.

As to the Harvard/Ivy scum, I agree with you. But there are still a few older faculty there who have some sense left in their heads. Not too many, but a few. The younger ones and the students are mostly wastes and are probably more proud that the Precedent-Elect has been getting away with all this sh!t.

progressoverpeace on December 12, 2008 at 12:28 AM

I love the cra* sandwich he delivered yesterday: first the verdict that the economy is bad, then the ‘I’m appalled about Blago’ BS, then the long blah blah blah about the Big 3.
I should be losing weight soon, I can’t hear his voice without hurling the cra* sandwiches he shoves down my throat.

Christine on December 12, 2008 at 1:06 PM