Pawlenty to Reid: Butt out

posted at 2:05 pm on December 10, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The likelihood of Harry Reid intervening in Minnesota’s Senate race to install Al Franken via Senate fiat dimmed considerably when Saxby Chambliss routed Jim Martin in Georgia’s run-off election last week. Tim Pawlenty isn’t taking any chances, however. The governor of Minnesota offered pointed advice to Reid and DSCC chair Chuck Schumer last night on Hannity and Colmes:

HANNITY: Bring our audience — you know how I feel about Al Franken. I think he’s dishonest, I think he would be a bad senator, he’s failed at everything he’s done, at no point has he overtaken Norm Coleman in the lead. Tell us the status in terms of the final point in the recount, because I think Al Franken is going to try to drive this race into the United States Senate so his buddies Chuck Schumer, Durbin and Prince Harry Reid can help him steal the election. That’s my take. What is happening on the ground and what do you see happening in the future?

GOV. PAWLENTY: Well, in short Sean, Norm Coleman maintains his lead of 192 votes, the canvassing board reconvenes later this week. They’re going to go through the recount, certify a result, including dealing with the challenged ballots. Most of the nonpartisan experts on the ground believe that Norm Coleman has an overwhelming advantage because of the way that this will work. After that’s done the canvassing board will strive to try and certify the election and the lawsuit will begin. Norm Coleman, I believe, will win this race and deserves to win this race, but if they try to put this into the United States Senate, there are only two United States Senators who have a right to vote in Minnesota and their names aren’t Schumer and Reid, and so they should butt out. They should butt out.

ALAN COLMES: Thank you Governor, its Alan Colmes, welcome back to our show. Why do you think is Norm Coleman having such a hard time winning this race?

GOV. PAWLENTY: He won it.

COLMES: I mean, before the recount. Why has been it so close?

GOV. PAWLENTY: Keep in mind, Alan – and by the way I’m saddened to see that you’re going to be leaving the show. I know all the guests appreciate you. You’re a good sport and thank you for what you’ve done.

COLMES: That’s very kind of you to say.

HANNITY: By the way Governor, not all the guests. Some may not…

COLMES: Maybe not even all the hosts.

GOV. PAWLENTY: Yeah, well. Putting up with Sean, that’s a heavy lift. In terms of the race, remember there was a third matter candidate in the race, Alan, that got 15% of the vote so that kind of diluted the spread of the vote, and plus it’s a tough state in a tough year for a Republican, and that adds up to a close race.

After Georgia’s run-off, and especially after the shenanigans playing out in Illinois, I doubt that Reid has the stomach to try such a heavy-handed play just to still be one vote short of a filibuster-proof Senate. After a special election in Illinois, Reid may wind up with one less Democrat in the Senate anyway, if Illinois voters get disgusted enough with the Blagojevich scandal and the possible implications for other Democrats in the state.

Comments

I truly think MN will work this thing out itself.
I can’t believe they really want to look that stupid-having the Senate get involved.

Badger40 on December 10, 2008 at 2:08 PM

I did my best to watch it, but Pawlenty put me to sleep again.

lodge on December 10, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Yeah, well. Putting up with Sean, that’s a heavy lift.

Indeed.

amerpundit on December 10, 2008 at 2:11 PM

I did my best to watch it, but Pawlenty put me to sleep again.

lodge on December 10, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Nice guy, but definitely not as warm and human as Palin or as brilliant as Jindal.

Illinidiva on December 10, 2008 at 2:14 PM

COLMES: That’s very kind of you to say.
HANNITY: By the way Governor, not all the guests. Some may not…
COLMES: Maybe not even all the hosts.

That Colmes. He may be a shill, but he has a wicked sense of humor.

Vashta.Nerada on December 10, 2008 at 2:14 PM

if Illinois voters get disgusted enough with the Blagojevich scandal

Speaking as a son of an Illinois (liberal) resident, I can assure you that the Blago scandal won’t even put a dent in the Democratic party in Illinois. The Republicans are evil, evil I tell you! And, the party of Bushitler will never get a foothold in their state.

I know, it sickens me too.

Geministorm on December 10, 2008 at 2:16 PM

HANNITY: By the way Governor, not all the guests. Some may not…
COLMES: Maybe not even all the hosts.

That Colmes. He may be a shill, but he has a wicked sense of humor.

I gotta’ disagree. His humor reminds me of a 9-year old boy’s. Peevish.

I don’t think it’s accurate to say that Sean is happy to see him go, at least not based on the exchanges I’ve seen between the two of them over the years. Colmes is a whiner.

Y-not on December 10, 2008 at 2:17 PM

You guys will never learn! The Dems will do anything to keep control.

luckybogey on December 10, 2008 at 2:22 PM

I like Gov. Pawlenty. Palin can’t carry Pawlenty’s jock from a competence and intellectual horsepower point of view. I agree that Jindal has it over Pawlenty, however.

dakine on December 10, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Alan Colmes leaving requires a replacement. Well, to keep the fugly factor in place, how about Bruce Vilanch? Bill Maher? David Letterman?

savvydude on December 10, 2008 at 2:31 PM

In addition to being the official spokesman for Al Qaeda in Washington, Harry Reid is a piece of sh&t who would stop at nothing his masters tell him to do. If The Black Caesar decides it is in His best interests to put Franken in the Senate, Reid will do it.

The man has no shame whatsoever and given the state of the Republican party in Nevada at the moment, OJ could break out of jail and beat any Republican that runs for Senate in 2010.

grdred944 on December 10, 2008 at 2:32 PM

So Hannity’s new co-host is Rocky Dennis?

Oh….that’s Colmes….sorry.

Bishop on December 10, 2008 at 2:33 PM

W#ho knows, I may start watching H&C again, after Colmes is gone.

petefrt on December 10, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Does it bother anyone that the Dems are just putting this out there,”We’ll take it to a Senate Vote to steal the Seat if we have too”?

Strange times.

Selling them in IL and Stealing them in MN,

What in world is going to happen with Hil’s seat in NY?

BiasedGirl on December 10, 2008 at 2:47 PM

I know, it sickens me too.

Geministorm on December 10, 2008 at 2:16 PM

As an Illinois voter, I can tell you Illinois has a long history of electing Republican governors because, even though we are a majority Democrat state, the voters know that the Democrats are thieving scoundrels. George Ryan blew the Republicans’ image, but Blago is so horrible that even Ryan sitting in a federal pen won’t keep them from voting Republican again.

Buford Gooch on December 10, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Sen. Kennedy HyperboleGirl.

dakine on December 10, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Allan should stay on the show. He’s the weakest pale excuse for a liberal on TV. I think he’s tired of being mocked all the time.

Doug on December 10, 2008 at 2:50 PM

W#ho knows, I may start watching H&C again, after Colmes is gone.

petefrt on December 10, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Maybe you didn’t understand, but Hannity will still be on the show…

right2bright on December 10, 2008 at 3:01 PM

You guys will never learn! The Dems will do anything to keep control.

luckybogey on December 10, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Ha! you guys will never learn.
You won’t catch the dems putting secret papers in the socks, or hiding cash in the freezer, or doing drugs with prostitutes, or taking making sure you husbands companies get contracts, or special deals on real estate…and now you are trying to pin selling this senate seat on a dem?
Never…he was seeking the best qualified, the one that would resist his offer, don’t you see, it was a test of honesty…

right2bright on December 10, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Yeah, I know it would have fit better on the other post, but I was on a roll…

right2bright on December 10, 2008 at 3:06 PM

dakine on December 10, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Says you, a well known expert on competence and intellectual heavyweight. Here’s another perspective: Pawlenty is a bore and a whiner who inspires no one. We’ll see who is carrying whose jock in 2012, after the votes are counted.

james23 on December 10, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Is the whiner Governor Pawlenty rocking the mullet again?

joey24007 on December 10, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Pawlenty is a joke. Every politician from Minnesota is a joke. The state of Minnesota is a joke. Find yourself another country, Minnesota.

Percy_Peabody on December 10, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Go ahead, Harry Reid, just try it!

t.ferg on December 10, 2008 at 3:58 PM

And Palin fanboy joey makes his obligatory appearance. You must be the goofiest mfer on the web.

dakine on December 10, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Strange times.

Selling them in IL and Stealing them in MN,

What in world is going to happen with Hil’s seat in NY?

BiasedGirl on December 10, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Lottery?
Duel?
Rock-Paper-Scissors?

aw, heck, let’s just give it to someone from a well-known, rich, liberal Democratic family!

Red State State of Mind on December 10, 2008 at 4:26 PM

dakine on December 10, 2008 at 2:30 PM

james23 on December 10, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Somehow, I doubt that Sarah Palin wears a jock. While many men would enjoy touching her anatomy, that role is already taken by Todd Palin.

As for her intellectual prowess (or lack thereof), that’s the media trying to paint a false picture of her. If they had asked Obama half the questions they asked Palin, Obama would be lucky to get 40% of the vote.

Nobody asked Palin about the policy details of negotiating a $40 billion gas pipeline through Canada. All that mattered to the media were her baby, her unborn grandchild, a cop who abused her sister, and her clothes. Next time around, with McCain out of the way, and no Bush to kick around anymore, and Obama as the incumbent, Palin gets to frame the debate. We’ll see how “dumb” she is then. After all, wasn’t Reagan a dumb cowboy from Bedtime for Bonzo?

Steve Z on December 10, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Pawlenty….speaking….must….stay….awake…zzzzzzzzz

Jim62sch on December 10, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Nice guy. Too bored to click the triangle and watch him and Skeletor.

chunderroad on December 10, 2008 at 7:42 PM

I doubt that Reid will do a damn thing, and the reason will be B. Hussein Obama.

Right now, aside from Jackson Jr., Obama is the most worried guy in Washington. Why you ask? Because he is as deeply entrenched in the politics of corruption as is any/every politician in Illinois, so the last thing he needs is to get Americans more upset at his party. I’m certain that he couldn’t survive more scrutinizing than he has already gotten.

They don’t think a thing about corruption there. That is just the way things work in ChiTcago Illinois [at least] since the first Daley was mayor of ChiTcago.

DannoJyd on December 10, 2008 at 7:53 PM

…and now you are trying to pin selling this senate seat on a dem?

right2bright on December 10, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Bwahahaha!!! (How long before someone trots this out w/a staight face?)

RD on December 10, 2008 at 8:01 PM