Obama: I never talked to Blagojevich about the Senate seat; Axelrod: Yes, he did; Update: Axelrod misspoke, says Obama camp

posted at 4:18 pm on December 9, 2008 by Allahpundit

Sweet catch by Tapper, showing why he got that promotion. Obama today

“I had no contact with the governor or his office and so I was not aware of what was happening, ” Obama told reporters today in Chicago. “It’s a sad day for Illinois. Beyond that, I don’t think it’s appropriate to comment.”

…versus Axelrod on November 23, as seen below. Be sure to read Tapper’s post, as he has plenty more on The One’s long history as a friend of — and advisor to — Blago. Axelrod himself begged off Blagojevich’s first gubernatorial campaign because “I was concerned about whether he was ready for … governing.” Not so Obama and Emanuel; they both served as advisors, and they and Blago went on endorsing each other to the bitter end.

Update: Awesome. Let’s just drag this out as long as possible. Either we get the spectacle of the Illinois legislature impeaching him or we get the spectacle of Blago appointing The One’s successor while in jail. And based on the charges, he’s just stupid/nutty enough to do it.

“He didn’t do anything wrong,” attorney Sheldon Sorosky told reporters after Blagojevich was arraigned. “A lot of this is just politics.”

Blagojevich should be in the office Wednesday, Sorosky added.

So, reporters asked, he does not intend to resign?

“Not that I know of, no,” said Sorosky, who added that the governor was “surprised” by the day’s events.

Update: Wouldn’t you know it, turns out Axe spoke … inartfully. When did they last speak, then, wonders Ben Smith.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Are you (and Axelrod) questioning the veracity of Obama?

There are penalties for that, you know.

kybowexar on December 9, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Uh oh. Another one going under the bus.

BacaDog on December 9, 2008 at 4:20 PM

You mean the Messiah is a patholigical liar?

Shocking.

BKennedy on December 9, 2008 at 4:20 PM

On the grounds it might incriminate him.

Oink on December 9, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Under the bus you go.

Oh wait, Obama might need him for re-election bid.

Sir Napsalot on December 9, 2008 at 4:22 PM

On the grounds it might incriminate him.

Oink on December 9, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Heh…yeah, on the advice of his attorney, no doubt.

ddrintn on December 9, 2008 at 4:23 PM

ha, ha, ha. So who is the liar? What did Obama know and when did he know it? Were they privy to a bribe demand? Is Axelrod ignorant of his bosses discussions? All this and more on the Hope and Change express.

rob verdi on December 9, 2008 at 4:23 PM

You know Obama was mighty happy to comment on the workers breaking the law with their sit-in.

rob verdi on December 9, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Heh.

lodge on December 9, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Hey David,

Don’t take too many trips to Fort Mercy Park. Just throwin’ a little advice there, pal.

Does the name Ron Brown ring a bell?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 9, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Can B.O. actually run over himself in his own bus?

upinak on December 9, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Well the gospel accounts didn’t line up either… did he clear out the money changers before or after he cursed the fig tree?

ninjapirate on December 9, 2008 at 4:25 PM

This won’t mean anything nor will anyone make a big deal over this. Barack Obama, hell almost any democrat, can say and do ANYTHING he wants to do without so much as a mention in the MSM. When things get so bad that they have no other choice but to arrest you, then it will become news. This is just how it is and it should be no surprise to anyone here.

King of the Britons on December 9, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Um, does this mean the President will need to issue a pre-emptive pardon to the President-Elect?
If so, is OK to toss a bone to Scooter, too?
Hey KOS, we’re watching…

Bruno Strozek on December 9, 2008 at 4:25 PM

wait! are you telling me that a politician has lied to us? WTF?

custer on December 9, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Can B.O. actually run over himself in his own bus?

upinak on December 9, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Probably. “I am not the man I thought I knew”, and the media would go into another collective orgasm.

ddrintn on December 9, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Oh, man.

This should make for good entertainment.

MadisonConservative on December 9, 2008 at 4:26 PM

“That’s not the Rod Blagojevich that I knew.”
B.H. Obama

TugboatPhil on December 9, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Was this what would have prevented Obama’s win, if only it had been know before the election?

To me, the voters clearly said “we don’t care what he did or didn’t do.”

Again, I don’t see Obama and his antics as the main problem. It’s the media and the voters who we need to be careful about. Obama is a lefty bum, and will do what lefty bums do.

JiangxiDad on December 9, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Yeah know,

Watergate started as a third-rate burglary.

Jussayin’………..

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 9, 2008 at 4:27 PM

bho talks, lies come out. I would not believe one single word this man says on anything.
L

letget on December 9, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Axelrod is a racist!

malclave on December 9, 2008 at 4:28 PM

MadisonConservative on December 9, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Let the satire begin!

upinak on December 9, 2008 at 4:28 PM

JiangxiDad on December 9, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Take a little advice from the departed George Carlin.

“The public sucks. F*ck hope. F*ck

hope

.”

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 9, 2008 at 4:29 PM

This is really sad.

Firebird on December 9, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Couldn’t Obama meant that he had no RECENT contact with the Illinois governor and didn’t know about the shakedown?

jim m on December 9, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Countdown to “I misspoke” in 3…2…1…

Pasalubong on December 9, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Was todays sudden arrests done to protect Obama from himself or the actions of his transition staff.

meci on December 9, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Where the heck is Treacher when you need him most?

upinak on December 9, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Tap Tap is the man.

V15J on December 9, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Anyone else groovin’ to “Cult of Personality” by Living Colour right now?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 9, 2008 at 4:30 PM

amazing how many felons obama has dealt with.

lorien1973 on December 9, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Russian proverb
“The mightiest thunderstorm starts with a spark.”

rob verdi on December 9, 2008 at 4:31 PM

I think Tapper’s one of the best. He always tries to keep it fair and as objective as possible, and questions both sides. If he hits you, it’s probably a fair hit.

Can’t wait to see the spin on this.

meltenn on December 9, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Kind of funny how Runny ShankRoid and the rest on the resident Toilet Bugs are strangely absent from these threads.

BigWyo on December 9, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Just what you get with godless politicians. Morals? Yeah, if you throw money, I’ll pretend.

kirkill on December 9, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Lets see, Ayers, Rezko, Blago, the Dally Machine, Pastor Wright, Yup quite a crew to provide career advice.

rob verdi on December 9, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Jim m: Not likely–November wasn’t that long ago, you know. Blago fully expected Obama to be willing to do a quid pro quo. And he was ticked that Obama wouldn’t.

Why did Blago expect Obama to play ball? Prior experience? Obama was on Blago’s reelection campaign, after all!

Vanceone on December 9, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Pre-Inaugural scandal eruption, top that BJ. Going to be fun.

Can we impeaching him yet?

tarpon on December 9, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Anyone else groovin’ to “Cult of Personality” by Living Colour right now?

Been groovin’ to it since it came out! But yeah, it’s quite appropos in the Age of Obama.

Pasalubong on December 9, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Christmas comes early.

I love it.

MadisonConservative on December 9, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Leading up to this clip, I was noticing how this story was being reported “on the tens” on a couple of different talk radio progams………

………….. all lead with the arrest of the Governor, no mention of the Democrat Party, and all finished with the firm declaration that Mr. Obama, President Elect, the Office of knew nothing about the matter, as a matter of fact.

Now this………………………… Opps!

Seven Percent Solution on December 9, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen,

There’s been a change in Obama’s team.

Please welcome to the Department of Justice: Stevie Wonder, zombie Ray Charles and Sandy Duncan. Which one will take Fitzgerald’s place?

/sarc

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 9, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Wait a minute…the coincidence is just too much…you are saying both the Governor of Illinois and an Ex-Senator are both liars, what are the odds of that?

right2bright on December 9, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Sweet! Who wants to take bets on how ticked off Obama’s guys are right now?

meltenn on December 9, 2008 at 4:34 PM

SURPRISE, you were caught red handed.. via a fellow Dem of all things. Goodness Knows you “didn’t do the deed”, now it is time that we all seek!

upinak on December 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM

jim m on December 9, 2008 at 4:29 PM

It was after the election, and the shakedown was happening prior.
Sorry jim m, Obama may get off the hook, but he is implemented.

right2bright on December 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Why should Blago resign?

His only mistake is that he got caught.

That has never bothered the Fool.

Ooops, check that. On second thought, Blago is white, isn’t he……

notagool on December 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM

I think Tapper’s one of the best.

Modern-day Murrow.

I can see the spin being: “Obama hasnt talked to Blago recently”

lodge on December 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Obama was drunk before today!

Like the rest of the people of Illinois I am saddened and sobered by the news that came out of the U.S.. Attorneys office today.

faraway on December 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM

I’m reading AP’s update… um, seriously, is Blago that stupid? He doesn’t see what he did wrong? This is… weirder than the Dharma Initiative.

Pasalubong on December 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM

amazing how many felons obama has dealt with.

lorien1973 on December 9, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Amazing? No. Suspicious? Yes.
Will anything be done about it? No.
Will the media later bring up this quote?
Probably-you know how they love bringing up pesky quotes from the past.

Badger40 on December 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM

As Rush says the MSM has made him to big to fail, expect full coverage of illegal dumped tanning beds in Alaska.

the_nile on December 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Shur.

It’s not appropriate for you to talk about who might replace you in your senate seat, that would be your senate seat that’s been put up for the highest bidder by your good friend, the governor you endorsed.

Nah, not appropriate.

(snicker)

fogw on December 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM

LOL,..does anyone REALLY believe hussein didn’t talk with the man?
Well,..besides those blinded by the obama strobe light politics?

christene on December 9, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Check out Dave Weigel’s piece today at AmSpec

Blago vs. Barack

Money quote:

But I guess we now know why Obama is choosing Clintonites for his cabinet instead of allies from Chicago. By comparison, the Clintonites look like monks.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 9, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Pasalubong on December 9, 2008 at 4:32 PM

A black guy with dreads, built, wearing spadex and playing in a rock and roll band… to back shots of war, poverty and other oddities.

Hmmmmm let me get the lyrics for all!

Look into my eyes, what do you see?
Cult of personality
I know your anger, I know your dreams
Ive been everything you want to be
Like mussolini and kennedy
Cult of personality
Cult of personality

Neon lights, a nobel prize
The mirror speaks, the reflection lies
You dont have to follow me
Only you can set me free
I sell the things you need to be
Im the smiling face on your t.v.
I exploit you still you love me

I tell you one and one makes three
Like joseph stalin and gandi
Cult of personality
Cult of personality

Neon lights a nobel prize
A leader speaks, that leader dies
You dont have to follow me
Only you can set you free

You gave me fortune
You gave me fame
You me power in your gods name
Im every person you need to be
Im the cult of personality
Look into my eyes, what do you see?
Cult of personality
I know your anger, I know your dreams
Ive been everything you want to be
Like mussolini and kennedy
Cult of personality
Cult of personality

Neon lights, a nobel prize
The mirror speaks, the reflection lies
You dont have to follow me
Only you can set me free
I sell the things you need to be
Im the smiling face on your t.v.
I exploit you still you love me

You gave me fame
You me power in your gods name
Im every person you need to be

upinak on December 9, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Bring in Da Coach!

V15J on December 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM

All of Obama’s friends are either dead, in jail, or working as professors.

faraway on December 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM

At least the part about him “not aware of what was happening” is a generally true statement. Obambi at least is consistent: sitting in front of Wright for 20 yrs and not aware of what Wright preaches; making deals with Rezko and not aware of his criminal acts; and on and on. Yap, we have a president-elect who is not aware of what’s happening, pretty much the same as those who voted for him not knowing which party is the majority in the congress. Sad facts indeed. :(

poxoma on December 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Joe Biden is contagious!

Christien on December 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Hannity has been on this for the last 1/2 hour!

Somebody isn’t telling the truth!

Its either Hopey or Axelrod!

canopfor on December 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM

it was just politics? My god I get it.

Fitzgerad was actually part of the conspiracy against Valerie Plame. In collusion with Rove he faked his aggressive attitude to provide cover. Libby was a sacrificial lamb who played his part to a tea. having gained left wing street cred from his actions he now shoes his true colors and goes after Democrats. That Rove is diabolical!

How long before that becomes the Nutroots perspective?

rob verdi on December 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Blagojevich should be in the office Wednesday, Sorosky added.

So, reporters asked, he does not intend to resign?

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure. Isn’t that what Spitzer said when it was released that he was Client #9?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Sadly, this is not the Blago Obama has known.

At this point, Obama doesn’t need to throw anyone under the bus. That bus has flipped over and is rolling end over end, pummeling all around the Messiah.

Sugar Land on December 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Shows his true colors, bad typo!

rob verdi on December 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Sweet.

Fire up the special prosecutor’s office and lets see who we can take down on perjury charges!

I say if we keep the spectacle under $200 million it’s worth it for the entertainment value alone.

JadeNYU on December 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Pasalubong on December 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM

LOST fan are we?

Even LOST can’t compare to this right now.

upinak on December 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM

To me, the voters clearly said “we don’t care what he did or didn’t do.”

JiangxiDad on December 9, 2008 at 4:27 PM

There were rumors about a nuclear bomb in the hands of Hillery , maybe this is a message to Obama to do as Clinton says.

the_nile on December 9, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Is it too early to ask what did the president know and when did he know it? Haven’t I heard that question before?

Sefton on December 9, 2008 at 4:41 PM

While insisting that the President-elect had not expressed a favorite to replace him, and his inclination was to avoid being a “kingmaker,” Axelrod said, “I know he’s talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them.”

Axelrod seems to be talking boilerpoint, but it makes absolutely no sense for Obama not to have been in contact with Rod…

President-elect Obama today said “I had no contact with the governor or his office and so we were not, I was not aware of what was happening.”

ninjapirate on December 9, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Hannity better be quiet about this.

This is not a balanced approach. Liberal talk radio does not have an opportunity to rebut his silly claims.

faraway on December 9, 2008 at 4:41 PM

rob verdi on December 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM

That’s what my colleague was saying this morning what the sh!t started to hit the fan. He figures that PEBO’s crew (including Grand Astroturfer David “Flash” Axelrod) will try to spin it as a partisan attack by the evil George W. Bush.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

LOST fan are we?

Even LOST can’t compare to this right now.

Maybe there’s a frozen donkey wheel under Blago’s desk!
(Sorry, non-Losties.)

Pasalubong on December 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Axelrod’s comments were clear and presented in full context not just the money sound bite. It will be interesting to hear the forthcoming spin.

diogenes on December 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

What is a prosecutor’s dream? To take down the most powerful person.

Obama in handcuffs soon!

I have no doubt Obama is involved in corrupt activities with the Gov. of Illinois and Rezko.

jencab on December 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

The first of many corruption eruptions. That didn’t take long.

Done That on December 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Look in to my eyes…

upinak on Dec 9,2008 at 4:38PM.

upinak: Excellent choice of music for this thread!!haha:)

canopfor on December 9, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Sweet! Who wants to take bets on how ticked off Obama’s guys are with Axelrod right now?

meltenn on December 9, 2008 at 4:34 PM

FIFY

BacaDog on December 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Blago will resign.
Someone will make him an offer he can’t refuse.

Sefton on December 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM

The media wagon’s are circling around the Fool.

The world will know the Annointed One’s hands are clean.

It isn’t the Blago the Fool had known.

notagool on December 9, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Have the spinmiesters noted yet that the last Illinois governor to go to jail was a REPUBLICAN!!! So just move along, nothing unusual to see here, move along.

The NRA keeps hollering about the One’s job application asking about gun ownership, but maybe it isn’t meant to be an exclusion at all; they may be looking for qualified hit men to handle problems like this.

FalseProfit on December 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM

I dunno. It was pretty clear starting in late September that Obama was going to be elected Pres. Still strikes me that the replacement discussions could have been held before the election.

jim m on December 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM

I’m going to go eat me some pancakes…handle this.

tomas on December 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Sadly, this is not the Blago Obama has known.

Sugar Land on December 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Only so many people can fit under a bus before the wheels no longer touch the ground.

saiga on December 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Let’s all chip in and send Rahm a nice set of steak knives.

Christien on December 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Maybe there’s a frozen donkey wheel under Blago’s desk!
(Sorry, non-Losties.)

Pasalubong on December 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

I wish his island would vanish!

upinak on December 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Done That on December 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

So…….we’ve gone from bimbo eruptions with Bubba to corruption eruptions with O.

Great.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Has there yet been ONE SINGLE person who’s had long-term contact with The One who wasn’t some form of weasel? Can even ONE reputable person say “I’ve known Barack since college and he’s just a great, great guy”??

innominatus on December 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Obama is a product of Chicago politics. Amazing how he was able to navigate through there with no knowledge or experience with Chicago political corruption….NOT

saiga on December 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM

or we get the spectacle of Blago appointing The One’s successor while in jail.

can you IMAGINE!?

ROTFL that would make my day

TR-808 on December 9, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Let’s all chip in and send Rahm a nice set of steak knives.

Christien on December 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Actually, Rahmbo is sending Tony Montana to visit Blago with a little message: “Say hello to my little friend.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 9, 2008 at 4:52 PM

saiga on December 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

The bodies are stacked like a pyramid. The Bus as a whole is a teeter-tooter. Who will get crush by the wheels and when does the bus fall down is what I wanna know.

upinak on December 9, 2008 at 4:52 PM

saiga on December 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Just have to make sure the tires are properly inflated.

malclave on December 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM