Video: MS-NBC producer gets wicked tingle up his leg; Update: Hoax?

posted at 10:30 am on December 5, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Consider this the answer to the notorious Bill O’Reilly meltdown clip, courtesy of the Jawa Report.  Instead of on-air talent screaming at the producer, this time we get an MS-NBC producer screaming at his staff in language that would violate FCC standards … if they applied to a cable channel.  Needless to say, this is not safe for work, school, church — you get the drift:

Forget the kids. Did everyone make it out of the control booth alive?

It’s easy to see what prompted the eruption. The correspondent on scene wasn’t ready to start, and the producer blew a gasket when she appeared on the screen, laughing and staring off camera.  That kind of production error makes everyone look amateurish — but not nearly as amateurish as screaming so loudly on set that it drowned out the anchor, who gamely tried to remain composed while staring at the commotion.

Oh, and let’s not miss the “dumb b***h” comment about the correspondent.  For a network already heavily criticized for its allegedly sexist coverage of the Democratic primaries and Hillary Clinton, that remark will certainly add to their credibility with their female viewers.

Update: Chris Mata at 23/6 claims he faked the audio track on this.  If so, nice job coordinating it with the eye movements of the host.  Skeptical commenters appear to have been vindicated.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Tee Hee MSNBC.

Shivas Irons on December 5, 2008 at 10:35 AM

O’Reilly was funny, this was disturbing…..

JVelez on December 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM

This is certainly not the first time I’ve seen a “live, on-scene reporter” delay in responding. Perhaps someone should explain “propogation delay” to the producer. In fact, most broadcast media inject an additional delay to prevent… well, to prevent stuff like what this producer did from getting on the air.

In the words of the immortal Bugs Bunny, “What a maroon!”

Wino on December 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM

wOW! Where did this take place? Is the producer still empoyed? Maybe we should let them know how we feel.

Bambi on December 5, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Gob bless the Internet.

WisCon on December 5, 2008 at 10:38 AM

I hope the unemployment number just increased by one.

ctmom on December 5, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Now that was a palate cleanser.

MadisonConservative on December 5, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Sensitivity training…and now!

whitetop on December 5, 2008 at 10:39 AM

The Obama Network.

Firebird on December 5, 2008 at 10:41 AM

In the words of the immortal Bugs Bunny, “What a maroon!”

Wino on December 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM

That Bugs always had a way with words.

Truly a maroon.

kybowexar on December 5, 2008 at 10:41 AM

We’ll do it live!!

Zetterson on December 5, 2008 at 10:43 AM

I was amazed at how the anchor was able to keep her cool when the douche was screaming his head off..

DaveC on December 5, 2008 at 10:43 AM

DO IT LIVE!

lodge on December 5, 2008 at 10:45 AM

This jerk will probably blame his unemployment on the reporter.

Vince on December 5, 2008 at 10:45 AM

I’ve worked with a lot of, lets say, “colorful” people and I’ve never heard anything that abusive. I really, really feel for these underlings. I’d leave in a heartbeat and return only when this person got fired. He had BETTER be fired! What happened to workplace standards? Wait, is this guy even a liberal? Cause, didn’t they make up the rules?

Mommypundit on December 5, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Sounds like a fun place to work.

Spirit of 1776 on December 5, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I don’t know that anchor, but man, she did very well in spite of the moron in the control booth.

D2Boston on December 5, 2008 at 10:48 AM

It sounded like there was a live mic in the booth. I could be wrong, but it didn’t sound like it was coming over the anchor’s mic.

Maybe somebody was sick of getting harangued by that producer and “accidentally” left a mic on within earshot.

forest on December 5, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Oh my. As far as I know, O’Reilly didn’t call anyone a “dumb b*tch”.

The anchor recovered fine and few people would’ve cared that they cut in when the anchor wasn’t ready. Happens all the time, especially on local channels. What people do care about is the cursing and insults.

amerpundit on December 5, 2008 at 10:49 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but despite how badly we want this to be true, this is an obvious fake. Come on now. I’m no media genius, but the producer sounds like a 19 year old college student stuttering and mumbling and cussing. I could capture audio and overlay it onto anything and correspond it with what’s happening on the screen.

You’ve been duped, and I hope you can verify that it is a fake and update the post. This blog has more credibility than 99% of other blogs on the internet. Please stay that way.

NoStoppingUs on December 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Ahhh, professionalism.

Gothguy on December 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM

There may be a producer looking for a job. But, where do you go after MSNBC? And how come we’re never treated to such a thing on the Ed Morrisey show? That would be fun.

Paul-Cincy on December 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM

This is the perfect video to go hand in hand with their coverage of “How to raise a globe-trotter
Give your school-age kids a taste of what the world has to offer- where parents can learn to instill in their children an appreciation for languages, food, history and cultural traditions.”

MSNBC is so educational and professional. <sarc off

canditaylor68 on December 5, 2008 at 10:51 AM

I’ve been involved in such things and this goes on all the time, but it can’t be about you…they guy lost it and should get in trouble. He is support staff and if you blow it…You blew it.

tomas on December 5, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Like it or not, our culture is in decline because of the respect level practiced privately (and now publicly) by our press and media. One of the reasons I’m glued to Ed’s posts and TEMS is the profound respect he displays for guests, bloggers, friends and foes. Kudos to Captain Ed for navigating his ship Class Act through the Vulgar Sea.

Mark30339 on December 5, 2008 at 10:51 AM

This is standard fair in the world of network news and the effort it takes to produce live coverage on air.

Don’t bash it until you walk in their shoes.

Tempers ALWAYS flair in the news room.

Standard stuff everyone – just not out in the open.

jake-the-goose on December 5, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Wow. That was really bad. I’m sure live television is tense. I’ve been a few television production classes myself. However, there is no need to start demeaning people like that.

terryannonline on December 5, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Tempers ALWAYS flair in the news room.

Standard stuff everyone – just not out in the open.

jake-the-goose on December 5, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Yeah, news guys make flight traffic controllers seem like Zen masters.

I think it has something to do with all the coffee.

justfinethanks on December 5, 2008 at 10:57 AM

I know news people often cuss in these situations, but wouldn’t it be more efficient to leave all that out when trying to communicate directly and keep things running right?

That kind of panic and superfluous swearing isn’t good technique in a tense situation.

forest on December 5, 2008 at 10:59 AM

I seem to recall a notorious incident involving Imus and Contessa Brewer a couple of years ago. Imus got rid of her lickety split, but then had his comeuppance with the “nappy-headed ho’s” kerfluffle.

J.J. Sefton on December 5, 2008 at 10:59 AM

There may be a producer looking for a job. But, where do you go after MSNBC?

Paul-Cincy on December 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Channel 6 in the Quad Cities, is my guess.

I have no illusions about the news business – this is surely an almost daily sort of mini-tirade. But lest we forget: O’Reilly’s hilarious “WE’LL DO IT LIVE!” meltdown was all off the air with his producers.

This mess went out over FCC wire – he’s effed.

Jaibones on December 5, 2008 at 10:59 AM

That anchor may be 30 years old, but if I were her dad, I’d be down there in a heartbeat, and I would put my foot up that guys butt. Even if I were 80 I’d smack the crap out of him with my walker. Then I’d send that video tape to that A-hole’s mom with the label–“The son you worked so hard to raise, doing what he does best.”

smellthecoffee on December 5, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Mark30339 on December 5, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Are you actually blaming the “respect level” of the press for our moral decline? Get a grip dude.

I’ve never heard a news anchor threaten to kick a pregnant mother in the stomach. There are no news anchors named Cannibal Corpse. Also the level of gore and sexuality shown on HBO and even shows like CSI puts the news to shame every day.

There’s an enormously left tilt to most broadcast news and newspapers but to blame them for your daughters hickeys and your son giving you the finger is ridiculous.

That being said, if this is a real clip I hope he is publicly shamed — picture, name, photos, address, etc.

The Race Card on December 5, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Btw, the talent – is that Contessa Brewer? – is lovely. And her scrambling, glancing, adlib was comedy gold.

Jaibones on December 5, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Dude, you just got fired.

pt on December 5, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Oh. This so has to go viral! I’ll do my part!

kurtzz3 on December 5, 2008 at 11:03 AM

NoStoppingUs on December 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Probably , these mistakes has to happen all the time so the producers can’t yell all day. And why the open mike.

the_nile on December 5, 2008 at 11:04 AM

This (and the O’Reilly clip) are further evidence of how coarse our culture has become. What ever happened to holding professionals to professional standards.
As long as we accept that type of behavior it will continue.
Where I work, that guy would be fired.

edgehead on December 5, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Yeah, theres tenseness and anxiety in my job too but I get more people to do things for me and do a good job when I am respectful of them.

More flys with honey…….

Vince on December 5, 2008 at 11:05 AM

That is “more flies with honey….”

Vince on December 5, 2008 at 11:06 AM

If anyone finds a source outside of the Jawa Report that validates this video as real or fake, please share!

chansen9 on December 5, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Someone is gonna be sent to sensitivity camp.
There is no excuse for that kind of behavior in a professional environment. Oh yeah, it was MSNBC nevermind…

redshirt on December 5, 2008 at 11:08 AM

I call fake.

The content of this video is clearly from this past summer, and we’re only hearing of this now?!

Don’t you think this would have gone viral months and months ago? The “producer” called a reporter a “dumb b****”! That would have been huge. The MSNBC hating NY Post would have jumped all over it, as would have Drudge.

Remember balloongate ’04? That was real.

YYZ on December 5, 2008 at 11:11 AM

The Colorado tornado daycare incident happened in late May.

YYZ on December 5, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Hmmm anyone think this person is going to have a Merry Christmas pink slip soon?

upinak on December 5, 2008 at 11:14 AM

There’s no excuse for bad manners, period.

Oink on December 5, 2008 at 11:15 AM

The in-studio gal was awesome, that was tough to overcome that foolish tirade and keep on track.

right2bright on December 5, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Good to see Al Franken has found some temporary work while this whole recount thing gets resolved.

RegularJoe on December 5, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Had this occurred at my company this person would be in the hands of the security dept. That in preparation for his departure from the firm — permanently.

The stupid thing is this sounds more like its the producers problem either due to a technical glitch. The reporter looks like she is waiting for a cue.

Dr. Dog on December 5, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Look, the producer exhibits behavior that is commonplace among liberal males, and I would know, having had the misfortune of dating some of this crowd back in the day – tantrums, lack of chivalry and gallantry, and borderline misogyny.
Having said that, I don’t think he should be fired. He should apologize, that is, if he’s genuinely sorry (otherwise he should be fired) and I bet the 2 women involved would graciously accept.

CarolynM on December 5, 2008 at 11:18 AM

That is “more flies with honey….”

Vince on December 5, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Yeah… but dead squirrels get the most! (h/t Woody from Cheers)

RegularJoe on December 5, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Every single liberal male that I have ever met has been this type of boorish jackas$…it goes with the philosophy of totalitarianism.

They are simply A holes who obsess about controlling other people.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

benrand on December 5, 2008 at 11:22 AM

What makes it even better is when they finally get the ‘on scene’ reporter back up towards the end of the clip, the tag line above her head says “Fountain Hills, AZ”.
I live a few miles from Fountain Hills and I don’t recall a tornado ripping through the town in recent history.

AZ_Mike on December 5, 2008 at 11:23 AM

I’m seriously floored that so many people are buying this hook, line, and sinker. Has this been verified by ANYONE?

Sheep are bad, regardless of political affiliation. I wouldn’t be surprised if msnbc starts sending out cease and desist orders..Come on guys. This is obviously fake! Verify something like this before sticking your neck out, yeah? This post will become a hit on its own. “Look at the gullible Republicans! *shocker*!”

sigh.

NoStoppingUs on December 5, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Original at live leak.

Dont know if helps vett it or not. Anyone up for searching archives?

canditaylor68 on December 5, 2008 at 11:25 AM

“Go f**k yourself, San Diego.”

Damian P. on December 5, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Sounds to me like we’re listening to the “director track”. This is where the main production audio line, where everyone on the production team listens to the director. Lots of stations record this for training purposes as well as to hear how a director is doing with their show. The director track is recorded on the aircheck tape, but on an audio channel not normally used for broadcast.

It seems that someone at MS-NBC has or had an ax to grind with the director, not the producer. The producer is rarely recorded and wouldn’t be calling the show.

NCJeff on December 5, 2008 at 11:35 AM

“Go f**k yourself, San Diego.”

Damian P. on December 5, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Dang, you beat me to it.

Sir Corky on December 5, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Brewers just another lefty but I remember her basically refusing to do news after Imus repeatedly humiliated her for any mistake she made.
Imus was always pulling crap on people he thought wouldn’t fight back so I always admired her for that.

jjshaka on December 5, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Well, they’re consistent.

Kid from Brooklyn on December 5, 2008 at 11:40 AM

I call shenanigans. I don’t think its real.

Vincenzo on December 5, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Do you think this video is finally making the rounds because of the recent layoffs at MSNBC?

canditaylor68 on December 5, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Did the producers audio really make it onto the air? I would think that was just the studio track that we were hearing. Producers are talking to talent all the time, in a different audio channel than the one we hear on air.

Now, his rant MIGHT be being picked up by some other off-air persons’ mic (say, a camera operator), so people who shouldn’t hear it may end up hearing it.

hawksruleva on December 5, 2008 at 11:52 AM

He should be fired on the spot.

The anchor almost certainly could have handled stretching out her own introduction to the story while the booth got things under control. Anchor-desk “talent” learns to stretch or shorten their scripts almost from day one.

As to the

b****

comment. Liberals (and their networks) always are the biggest bigots/chauvinists. Too much of the mass media clearly is made up of people with the self-control of a teenager.

doufree on December 5, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Classic. Sounds like he needed another Latte’…..

DL13 on December 5, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Looks like there might be 533,001 people to lose their jobs this month.

unseen on December 5, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Didn’t look like she was laughing or fooling around at all to me. Seems like she was ready, but didn’t hear anything to indicate she was on.

In any event, since she’s a white b***h, there won’t be any mass demonstrations on her behalf.

JiangxiDad on December 5, 2008 at 12:00 PM

NCJeff, you’re right, probably director, not producer. Though at some smaller operations they combine so many functions, who knows what title…

I wonder how old their studio team is, though. It’s not uncommon for directors and producers to be in their mid-20s..

hawksruleva on December 5, 2008 at 12:00 PM

hawksruleva on December 5, 2008 at 11:52 AM

I guess it could be real audio that was not actually broadcast, but was recorded. We’ll find out sooner or later. Some MSNBC fans will probably find the original video if the producer’s rant was not actually broadcast.

forest on December 5, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Standard stuff everyone – just not out in the open.

jake-the-goose on December 5, 2008 at 10:54 AM

So that makes it OK? Calling someone a “dumb b!tch” should be grounds for firing, whether it’s caught on air or not. It really doesn’t get more sexist than that.

This is obviously fake!

NoStoppingUs on December 5, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Maybe if you could explain why it’s so obviously fake rather than stating that an adult wouldn’t talk that way (which is already contradicted by someone who claims this is common in the industry), then maybe people would take your claims more seriously.

Yes, anyone CAN dub a video over. It’s extremely easy, so much so that I’m sure I could do it if I had the right voice to use. However, that alone doesn’t constitute proof.

Esthier on December 5, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Why does MSNBC exist anymore? I demand answers!!

August Horch on December 5, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Imus would mock, Contessa Brewer constantly, she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, that said, I actually have some sympathy for her after viewing this….This is how Steve Capus runs a network? This is the same Steve Capus who said, he consulted the other people working at MSNBC because of Imus making an offensive joke..NHH, before he fired Imus. So I am supposed to believe these sensitive souls, like the one I just listened to above, were offended by Imus satire? I would bet dollar to doughnuts when Imus uttered that famous soundbite heard round the world, these folks didn’t even bat and eyelash. Steve Capus is a fraud an incompetent fraud.

Dr Evil on December 5, 2008 at 12:22 PM

This is to goog to be true. You gatta love the intenet.

KBird on December 5, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Wow. SIGN ME UP for a job there! I’m sure that goes on all the time too, and not just an isolated incident.

cabbageheat on December 5, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Whoa, hold up. Obama won and the nutjobs at msnbc are still angry? Geez what will it take to make those people happy?

angryed on December 5, 2008 at 12:32 PM

WTF! Hells ‘s Studio or what?
ha ha ha rotflmao

TheSitRep on December 5, 2008 at 12:33 PM

That ain’t no tingle! That’s rabies! Now we see how infectious it has become at MSNBC. Question is, who infected who first, Olberman or this producer?

shick on December 5, 2008 at 12:47 PM

O’Reilly was funny, this was disturbing…..

JVelez on December 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM

…because you’ve never spent an hour in a TV control room with a show going live. I have. (yawn.)

manwithblackhat on December 5, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Although Contessa Brewer may not be the sharpest knife, her job is to be the “news reader” and keep the show going. The way she kept it going there gives me a whole new respect for her. She did her job well this time.

I’m not sure I could have resisted the urge to scream, “Mic open – Shut Up!”

photom on December 5, 2008 at 1:03 PM

forest on December 5, 2008 at 10:49 AM

That’s what I was thinking. Let’s accidently leave the cell phone on record next time, too.

Mr_Magoo on December 5, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Wives, mothers and/or daughters must not be called dumb bitches on the job. No employer should allow it.

jay12 on December 5, 2008 at 1:05 PM

I’m confused a little bit on this one. Was that heard live on TV the way you hear it above? Or was it a recording of what happened in the background that was not heard on TV?

RedSoxNation on December 5, 2008 at 1:10 PM

WWMD

What Would Megyn Do
What Would Michelle Do

Mr_Magoo on December 5, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Holy crap.
Hoping his resume is updated.
Well, knowing the love of MSNBC for the One, I’d say Obama found his press secretary!

ToddonCapeCod on December 5, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Love the clip! Libtards doing what they do best, showing their uncouth double standards for all to see — and hear.

RickZ on December 5, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Someone was saying something? I didn’t notice, I was hypnotized by the brunette bombshell newsbunny.

Alden Pyle on December 5, 2008 at 1:23 PM

That guy just got himself promoted to the executive producer of the Olberdouche show!

wildweasel on December 5, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Not too surprising. MSNBC’s always been a bunch of scumbags. We just have audio confirmation now.

TrickyDick on December 5, 2008 at 1:39 PM

That Bugs always had a way with words.

Truly a maroon.

kybowexar on December 5, 2008 at 10:41 AM

One of the true crimes of Hollywood is that Bugs never, never got the credit for his acting abilities that some of those other hacks did.

Oh, MSNBC? Can you imagine the language they use when they talk about the guys over at Fox. Truly classless lot of neurotic liberal buffoons at the Obama network.

hawkdriver on December 5, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Swearing on a News Channel,er propaganda channel,

Oh My freaggin ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!haha.

canopfor on December 5, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Good to see PMSNBC keeping it classy.

pilamaye on December 5, 2008 at 2:07 PM

I have strong doubts this ever went out on broadcast, at least as it is here. You can bet it would have made headlines, at least among the “media” columnists.

And as for all the outrage: let he who is without sin…and all that. You’ve never used those words or gone into a rage? Then God bless you, you’re really someone special. Unique, even.

Am I a “troofer” for calling this bogus? That seems to be the mindset around HA these days.

MrScribbler on December 5, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Unhinged MSNBC producer? Is anyone surprised? The boob needs anger management counseling. I would consider that set an unsafe work environment.

I was hypnotized by the brunette bombshell newsbunny.
Alden Pyle on December 5, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Don’t be fooled Alden, she smirks when she mentions Governor Palin’s name. Hard core leftist reporter.

FireBlogger on December 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

NoStoppingUs on December 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM

How in the heck can’t you believe this was a true recording? Look at the gal on air, she can hardly believe her ears and didn’t know what to do with it.

Bambi on December 5, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Sorry scribler, I do not, will not and never have used that language even having 4 boys, and working in a Jr Hi.

This kind of language is the purview of a person with no command of the English language.

Bambi on December 5, 2008 at 2:27 PM

OK, I listened to it again. I never heard Palin’s name mentioned and the gal was not joking or talking she was waiting and there was something wrong with the sound, so she couldn’t hear it.
I also would like to ask who he voted for.
From the crawl on the bottom it was in Colorado.

Bambi on December 5, 2008 at 2:32 PM

CNN’s new theme song!

ronsfi on December 5, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Rode Werk on December 5, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Ooops I mean emesEEYN!..becee

ronsfi on December 5, 2008 at 2:51 PM

She gives me a tingle up my leg. :)

ThePrez on December 5, 2008 at 3:00 PM