CNN 2012 poll: Huckabee 34, Palin 32 among Republicans and independents

posted at 4:20 pm on December 5, 2008 by Allahpundit

Tough choice. Do we go with the blue-collar populist social con who’s soft on immigration? Or do we go with Huckabee?

Relax. It’s within the margin of error.

“It might come as a surprise to some that Palin does better than Huckabee among GOP men but that Huckabee beats Palin among Republican women,” says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. “Palin’s strength is also concentrated among older Republicans, but Huckabee may have a slight edge among conservative Republicans.”

Among voters who consider themselves born again or evangelical, Huckabee draws more support than Palin, with a 9 point edge. Meanwhile, Palin holds a 7-point advantage among non-born again or evangelical voters.

Mitt pulls 28, Gingrich 27, Giuliani(!) 23, and Jindal 19. The good news? If this is the race we end up with, come 2011 there’ll be a new Kathleen Parker “oogedy boogedy” column every week. Exit question: To the extent there’s anything newsworthy about this moronic poll, which, like all the rest thus far, shows Palin atop the field, what’s more significant? The fact that Huck seems to have a base of fanatic supporters as large as hers? (The 34/32 number comes from voters who say they’re “very likely” to support their candidate. If you include “somewhat likelies,” Palin leads by two.) Or the fact that the ‘Cuda leads significantly head to head among non-religious voters? Given her strict views on abortion and the media’s demagoguery of her beliefs, I’m reading that data less as a reflection on her than as a perception that Huckabee’s a hardline theocon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Well he is… Ugh! I hate CHuckles. Please don’t vote him in. But it is very interesting that Jindal is polling at 19%; not bad for someone with no name recognition.

Illinidiva on December 5, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Huckabee 34, Palin 32 ….Mitt pulls 28, Gingrich 27, Giuliani(!) 23, and Jindal 19.

that equals 163 ???? what am I missing here?

jp on December 5, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Palin is far FAR preferable to the evangelical fiscal liberal.

wildcat84 on December 5, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Huckatrolls to invade this thread in 5…4…3…2…1…

Welcome, Al-Ozarka, Saint Olaf, et. al.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 5, 2008 at 4:26 PM

I will be happy not to see another item about the 2012 election until at least 2011.

MayBee on December 5, 2008 at 4:26 PM

See how many other Republican office-holders over the next three years want Palin around to help them with their fundraising and/or re-election efforts, the way Chambliss did. Then see how many want the same from Huckabee, who should have a higher overall profile for a while, due to his Fox News show. That’s a lot easier test to see which one the base is more enthused about, and who would be their second choice if their prefer somebody like Mitt or Jindal over either Mike or Sarah.

jon1979 on December 5, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Who ARE these people who would give 34% of the vote to someone lacking a brain stem?

SimplyKimberly on December 5, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Palin is the strongest among the 3 branches of conservatism, combined together. her weakest point is Foreign Policy due to no experience there.

jp on December 5, 2008 at 4:27 PM

2012 election posts….

Can I begin drinking yet?

amerpundit on December 5, 2008 at 4:27 PM

I blame Chuck Norris.

Pasalubong on December 5, 2008 at 4:27 PM

McCain/Dole 2012!

Akzed on December 5, 2008 at 4:27 PM

As much as I like Palin, she has just been poisoned by the media. All of my relatives conservatives relatives that I talked to over Thanksgiving break think she is a yahoo, a bible thumper, a book burner, etc etc etc.

Look at Ziegler’s poll, as much as people were generally uninformed about things, they all knew every nasty detail the MSM wanted to pitch about Palin.

Clark1 on December 5, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Go with the one that looks better in stiletto heals.

My collie says:

CC, you may be surprised by the answer that you get. This is the HotAir readership, remember?

CyberCipher on December 5, 2008 at 4:28 PM

The Republican Party needs to come up with a schedule of primaries that ends the choke hold Iowa and New Hampshire have. We need candidates who can win in blue states, and we’ll never get them with Iowa and New Hampshire coming first in the process.

Sheerq on December 5, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 5, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Yep. And the fact that it is a CNN poll of (probably) the five counties that voted most heavily for Shuck in the primaries.

Limerick on December 5, 2008 at 4:29 PM

CNN? The same people who are wiping out their science and technology reporting? That CNN?

I’d be curious to hear just how honest and scientific (read unbiased) their poll truly is.

Sure Huckabee rates high among their viewers – they’d rather have someone actual conservatives don’t want.

The name McCain ring a bell?

kybowexar on December 5, 2008 at 4:29 PM

You must be out of stuff to post this lazy Dec afternoon.

roux on December 5, 2008 at 4:29 PM

No trusty CNN poll,margin of error,piff I say!

canopfor on December 5, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Huckabee is horrible…..he is another McCain defeat waiting to happen….an Obama – Huckabee 2012 election would be uglier than this years debacle—

In a big way he cost us this election too— if not for his back room deal with McCain to gang up on Romney we may have been saved from NObama….ill never forgive him for that—

He is everything i hate about politicians…..

alecj on December 5, 2008 at 4:30 PM

With independents in the poll, McCain would garner over 50%. What a joke.

Valiant on December 5, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Oh, Good God. Can we stop with this stuff? Give us a break and start talking about 2012 in year or so. Enough already!

Grantman on December 5, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Who ARE these people who would give 34% 53% of the vote to someone lacking a brain stem?

SimplyKimberly on December 5, 2008 at 4:26 PM

I know how you feel.

BKennedy on December 5, 2008 at 4:31 PM

CNN……….yeah sure

patrick neid on December 5, 2008 at 4:31 PM

If this is the race we end up with, come 2011 there’ll be a new Kathleen Parker “oogedy boogedy” column mumbo jumbo every week.

My collie says:

According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary:

Mumbo Jumbo is a noun and is the name of a grotesque idol said to have been worshipped by some tribes. In its figurative sense, Mumbo Jumbo is an object of senseless veneration or a meaningless ritual.

CyberCipher on December 5, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Jeb Bush will probably be the next Repub president whenever that is.

patrick neid on December 5, 2008 at 4:32 PM

No, no, no, no, no, no Huckabee. Seriously, I’d eat broken glass and vote for a Lincoln Chaffee-tyoe before I would cast a vote for Huckabee.

myrenovations on December 5, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Any poll listing a half-dozen contestants is going to be stupid and worthless. Hell, even Ron Paul will show up as more than a blip if all you’re doing is measuring whose supporters are the most fanatic.

The liberal media were successful in their divide-and-conquer strategy in the last primary. Let’s not let it happen again.

logis on December 5, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Where is Mark Sanford?

lodge on December 5, 2008 at 4:32 PM

This poll isn’t right,where is the other 7 states?

canopfor on December 5, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Clark1 on December 5, 2008 at 4:27 PM

But that’s assuming that the Sarah Palin of some prospective presidential run is going to be the same Sarah Palin we saw during the McCain run. I don’t think that’s a safe assumption. And poisoning or not, she still connects with voters. She still has charisma and core beliefs. I don’t ask for much more.

ddrintn on December 5, 2008 at 4:33 PM

jp on December 5, 2008 at 4:27 PM

A weakness which can easily be fixed.

ramrocks on December 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM

omg there’s only 3 years and 11 months until the next election hurry hurry hurry

Dave Rywall on December 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM

I wonder whether allahpundit rubs his hands with glee when he posts something about Palin, or if he cackles maniacally?

jacrews on December 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Expect the MSM to push Huck for the next four years. He is the next most worthless candidate, behind McCain, that the Republicans could choose and the McCain gambit worked out pretty well for them this time.

TBinSTL on December 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM

By the time 2012 rolls around I don’t think either of them will be the nominee. We’re going to go with a proven candidate who is solidly conservative and who has a strong resume, in order to reassure voters worried about all the destructive change an Obama/Pelosi/Rein triumverate could have wreaked by then.

Sign of the Dollar on December 5, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Dang, AP. You truly know where the gold is hidden. I’ll jump in first,.. Prediction: A 300 post thread. Not the best, but passable for a slow Friday. I’ll double down if St Olaf rides to the rescue.

a capella on December 5, 2008 at 4:37 PM

we’ll want someone whose a strong leader with FP cred, a hawk, etc. to stand up to all the bullies electing Obama has emboldened.

Palin has to figure out how to create a strong, muscular image. I think she should do several photo-ops of herself fishing, meeting troops in Iraq and firing AR-15′s some more.

jp on December 5, 2008 at 4:37 PM

I like Palin, I really do but there is no way she will ever be President. The media will destroy her. The best she can hope for is Senator from Alaska and she should pursue that and fight the good fight.

Huckabee is so wrapped up in himself and appeasing the MSM that he will be their darling. Their last darling was John McCain and you see how they turned on him. I for one, will be so done with the GOP if he is the nominee in 2012.

grdred944 on December 5, 2008 at 4:37 PM

No to Huckabee. I’ll consider all the other candidates.

terryannonline on December 5, 2008 at 4:38 PM

jacrews on December 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Mentos and Coke.

Limerick on December 5, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Shrug it off folks. CNN wants you to believe that.

One thing I know FOR SURE… the next GOP presidential candidate better be a stinking economist and be prepared to kick butt and name names.

Wasn’t there some sort of misery index during the Carter years? We’re going to be in misery alright. Obama has a chance to make it worse or make it less bad. That’s about as good as it’s going to get.

Oink on December 5, 2008 at 4:38 PM

ddrintn on December 5, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Excellent point. Never underestimate the ability of the American public to forget. Think of how Hillary Clinton is now regarded by many conservatives to be a decent pick for SecState.

And Palin is an inherently likable personality. I think with distance from this election people will see that again. She had to play the attack dog role as a vp candidate and that’s what brought on a lot of the broad negativity to her. (The fringe leftist always hated her).

If she runs again, she’ll run a “positive” campaign and will be able to run as the “change” candidate — assuming that Obama turns out to be Carter and not Clinton.

ramrocks on December 5, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Palin is a good person, but she is not right for the position of President. I know that opinion is hard to hear for some of you but some of us cons think this way. And it has nothing to do with anything but her qualifications.

Dr. Manhattan on December 5, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Support the candidate who is toughest on immigration and this CO2 scam. That ain’t Palin. I see her as basically a religious PC liberal who wants to love everybody. Ugggh.

keep the change on December 5, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Palin is a political super-star if we let her, nobody else on that list can galvanize the country the way she can. People who aren’t that itnerested in politics will tune in to see what she does. This is huge, potentially

jp on December 5, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Seriously, this is the most meaningless poll and even more meaningless article. We’re a friggin two years away until we see something congeal on who will run for 2012.

AP, no more poll reporting until 2010. Doesn’t make one iota sense at this point in time.

Kokonut on December 5, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Jeb Bush will probably be the next Repub president whenever that is.

patrick neid on December 5, 2008 at 4:32 PM

I will never vote for another Bush ever again. This family is finished in American politics. Feel free to elect them in Florida and Texas, but don’t thrust them on the rest of the country. NEVER AGAIN. Enough with this family.

ramrocks on December 5, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Wouldn’t Huckabee and Palin fight for the same voting block? I think this would be and advantage for Mitt. How popular is the populist message going to be in 2012, after a long long recession. Who do you pit the masses against? All the bankrupt companies? I’d vote for the businessman.

Theworldisnotenough on December 5, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Palin v Huckabee and its Palin. The anti-huck vote is divided.

rob verdi on December 5, 2008 at 4:43 PM

No more polls… !!

An Era of Hate on December 5, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Doesn’t surprise me because from what I’ve seen, Huckabee support is like a virulent fever. Once they catch it, they never get well.

Lori on December 5, 2008 at 4:44 PM

The God you don’t believe in does not believe in this poll, AllahPagan

Yes, it is ‘moronic’

No, it is not ‘newsworthy’

exit question: Why is it here? What can be said here?

The media have very little to do other than lie, malinger, distort, disguise, divert, and whack off, but what’s your excuse?

Janos Hunyadi on December 5, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Republicans + CNN ???

Does not compute.

The Ugly American on December 5, 2008 at 4:46 PM

I still believe Sarah is now the de facto leader of the GOP; whether she remains that has yet to be seen; but I will state to all those with PDS that she is in the ‘mix” and will remain in the ‘mix’ as long as she wants to run in 2012. Huckabee, Romney, Gingrich, Jindal, and Giuliani are all worthy candidates if they decide to run. I will not diminish them to promote Sarah, but I will say that Sarah’s presence on the Internet is already impressive and I predict will grow even more impressive as we approach 2010 and the run up to the primaries and 2012.

technopeasant on December 5, 2008 at 4:46 PM

CNN is still engaging in Operation Republican Infighting,
can’t wait for the Mormon or Christian angle to get mixed
in to this,

Oh great CNN,which way should the Republican Party go!

If its Huckerbee,a flattering hit piece!

If its Governor Sarah Palin,aka,SarahCuda,then it’ll
be a mean spirited destoying hit piece!

Oh great CNN,show the Conservatives,which way you want
them to go!! Ugh! (Snark!).

canopfor on December 5, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Palin Rocks!

Firebird on December 5, 2008 at 4:47 PM

I won’t vote for Huckabee, I don’t think.

hawkdriver on December 5, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Geez. Can’t we get a break of even, say, a month before we start polling for 2012??? Who knows what things will look like in two years!

herrevery on December 5, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Palin has to figure out how to create a strong, muscular image. I think she should do several photo-ops of herself fishing, meeting troops in Iraq and firing AR-15’s some more.

Palin fishing.

An Era of Hate on December 5, 2008 at 4:49 PM

I don’t mean to be rude about CNN, but I never quite trust their polling data. I’m sure that they conduct them professionally, but their ‘focus groups’ and their snap polls combined with their ‘poll of polls’ makes me a little leery of their data. It’s not really that they were far off in their polling during the election (because they weren’t). It’s just having a very small amount of personal experience with the use of surveys and focus groups, I felt that the ones that they ran (at least the focus groups that they ran on the air) tended to be very poorly conducted. Perhaps I’m wrong about that.

All that said, I like Palin, but it seems to me that name recognition and current public perception plays a large role in these 2012 polls (as it does in all polls). Which is to say, they really have very little bearing on what the primary season will produce four years from now. A day is a long time in politics now, much less four years. An awful lot can and will change.

meltenn on December 5, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Don’t assume that Mitt will run in 2012. He may not want to be the next John Kerry or Bob Dole given that it is very unlikely that anyone is going to beat Obama. So, let Huckabee and Palin knock each other out.

RedSoxNation on December 5, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Relax. Polls don’t mean squat 3.5 years out.

t.ferg on December 5, 2008 at 4:49 PM

I know it’s going to piss a lot of people off, but it needs to be said: There is a significant number of people out there who will vote for whomever professes their love of Jesus most loudly and justify any other positions or actions that candidate takes by whatever means are necessary. Traditionally, these people tend to lean GOP but it’s not because they’re conservative; it’s because they hate the godless liberals. Huck soaks these up but is pretty much unacceptable in every other respect, so he drives a nice neat wedge into the voting base and he knows it. So he’s going to have to be bought off or run out with a scandal. Maybe Slublog can come up with some good photoshops or something. Between Rathergate and fauxtography, we should be able to get something to stick in the press.

ErikTheRed on December 5, 2008 at 4:50 PM

As opposed to who else’s qualifications as a comparison? Obama? I laugh in your face over that quote and opinion of yours Dr. Manhattan. I think it may be that wee-bit of sexism in you bubbling over the top over Palin.

Palin has just as much as a shot for presidency in 2012 as did Obama for 2008.The advantage will be hers due to early recognizance as a political star and another 2 more years as Governor of Alaska under her belt to add to her resume’ and experience. Anything that’s been routed out against her in 2008 looking for dirt would not be repeated to such a degree for the 2012 race.

Yeah, knock her down while you still can. Pretty obvious. Go Steele! Go Jindal! Go Palin! Go Romney! Go Huckabee..(?).

As AP would famously say over Palin …

“Eh…”

Kokonut on December 5, 2008 at 4:50 PM

This poll must have been taken at a homeless shelter.

Percy_Peabody on December 5, 2008 at 4:50 PM

It shows that Palin and Huckabee are not fighting over the same voters ( as some have suggested) and that each has their own support from different areas. Huckabee has the support of the populist theocrats. Palin has broader appeal, at least within the party as of now. I don’t think poll is all that relevant mainly because it’s still 2008. In addition, I would be surprised if Palin doesn’t hold off until 2016. I think that would be her best move.

Huckabee is an annoying tool.

V15J on December 5, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Do you mean the same Huckabee as this one?

Huckabee heaped criticism upon immigration legislation in the Arkansas Legislature, describing it as “inflammatory, race-baiting and demagoguery.” He also challenged the Christian values of its main sponsor. Huckabee said the bill, seeking to forbid public assistance and voting rights to undocumented immigrants, “inflames those who are racist and bigots and makes them think there’s a real problem. But there’s not.” He singled out Holt, who often talks of his strong Christian beliefs, saying, “I drink a different kind of Jesus juice. My faith says don’t make false accusations against somebody.” Gov. Mike Huckabee Thursday denounced a bill by Sen. Jim Holt that would deny state benefits to illegal immigrants as “un-Christian, un-American, irresponsible and anti-life.”

MB4 on December 5, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Huckabee pulled 500 people for his Saxby rally.

Firebird on December 5, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Don’t be so surprised. There are still a few moderate Republicans out there who are more interested in economic and defense issues than social policy. In all of the VP selection commotion and throughout the Palin circus, people forgot that they were/are an important part of the Republican coalition. The people who want Giuliani to run for President are the kind of people who are a little scared of Palin and Huckabee types, and who (like me) stayed home on Election Day. For all the grief Kathleen Parker (and David Brooks, Charles Krauthammer, Peggy Noonan, etc.) gets from the conservative wing of the GOP, there are a lot of people who identify with her anti-oogedy-boogedyism.

Big S on December 5, 2008 at 4:51 PM

She gives a killer speech, she does great in debates, and she’s beautiful. That’s all you need to win “low information” swing voters.

We all like to think that the Reagan Democrats voted for him in 1980 because they suddenly saw the light and became conservative, but in reality it was because Reagan gave an awesome debate performance against Carter and convinced everyone that he was the change they needed.

This year we pitted a bald grumpy looking old guy who looked like Don Rickles against a handsome kind looking young man who looked like Sidney Poiters. Gee, who do you think “low information” swing voters would vote for?

Depending on how the economy does, it might be a clear win to pit a spunky optimistic Sally Fields against a now dejected and defensive Sidney Poiters in 2012.

ramrocks on December 5, 2008 at 4:52 PM

that equals 163 ???? what am I missing here?

jp on December 5, 2008 at 4:24 PM

I dunno. Maybe they polled all 57 states or maybe Al Franken did the counting.

MB4 on December 5, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Huckabee?

NE – VER

D2Boston on December 5, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Hucksterbee is awful; has no shot.

james23 on December 5, 2008 at 4:55 PM

I love polls that add up to 200%

Clearly they allowed people to “vote” for more than one person. I think Huck will share his % of the pie with Palin letting Romney win the nomination.

hanzblinx on December 5, 2008 at 4:56 PM

canopfor at 4:47 PM: Exactly: CNN wants to orchestrate Republican infighting; that is the reason I will not indulge in bashing other candidates. That’s exactly what Obama and his merry men and women and their allies in the MSM and elitist pundits want to foment. I, for one, am on to your my leftist friends; united we stand, divided we fall. But as I have constantly harped on-the base must settle on 1 candidate as soon as possible; if it is Sarah-great; if it is another candidates that emerges so be it-but decide on one candidate-don’t allow to happen what happened in 2008 where McCain came up the middle when the base couldn’t decide.

technopeasant on December 5, 2008 at 4:56 PM

This poll isn’t right,where is the other 7 states?

canopfor on December 5, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Seceded to Mexico? I know that Putin took over Georgia, maybe he got some other states too? Maybe Al Gores Global Warming Flooding got some of them?

MB4 on December 5, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Another meaningless posting by Palin-hater Allahpundit.

All you need to know is this:

1. Who did Saxby go out if his way to credit for his huge Senate win on Tuesday?
2. Who has a mediocre show on Fox News each weekend?

Answer: One will be the GOP nominee in 2012, the other will be frying possums in some backwater town in Arkansas in 2012.

Norwegian on December 5, 2008 at 4:58 PM

WaPo, Politico and now CNN with a release minimizing the Gov.. We should start a pool to see who comes out with the next article or poll.

thomasaur on December 5, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Huckabee says:

that’s what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it’s in God’s standards rather than try to change God’s standards

V15J on December 5, 2008 at 4:59 PM

I’m boycotting this thread. Allah is making a blantant ploy for traffic by mixing Huckabigot and Palin – a proven formula for arguments

lodge on December 5, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Hmm, anyone want to compare a similar poll on 12/5/2004 taken of the 2008 prospects for Democrats and Republicans and compare to what we ended up with?

Polls are irrelevant now.

Stop looking at polls and start focusing on message and policies. Leaders lead people, not follow flavor of the week whims of the masses.

Michael in MI on December 5, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Big S on December 5, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Thanks for staying how and giving us Obama and a Dem Congress. Learn this: the ‘conservative wing’ of the Republican Party is the Heart & Soul; you and other…..whatevers are hangers-on.

Janos Hunyadi on December 5, 2008 at 5:01 PM

…staying HOME

Janos Hunyadi on December 5, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Never underestimate the ability of the American public to forget…And Palin is an inherently likable personality. I think with distance from this election people will see that again.
ramrocks on December 5, 2008 at 4:40 PM

+1. I’m holding out hope for 2012, but I think 2016 is more likely to be her year if she decides to run. The media is so in love with Obama that his administration would have to be completely fubar for any Republican to have a chance. And, 2016 gives her more time to prepare, her kids will be older and more settled (which will make things easier for her), it gives more distance from all the stuff from this year, more time to build her credentials, etc. We’ll see where things stand in 2010 though.

meltenn on December 5, 2008 at 5:03 PM

lodge on December 5, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Hah, make me laugh.

hawkdriver on December 5, 2008 at 5:03 PM

CNN is still engaging in Operation Republican Infighting,
can’t wait for the Mormon or Christian angle to get mixed
in to this,

canopfor on December 5, 2008 at 4:47 PM

hmm. more of that “we of the christian right never mormon-baited romney” revisionism.

i suppose that since the election’s over, it doesn’t matter that you lie about this.

here’s the above website referenced by a member of the commenting community here:

and i could start a list of people from this very commenting community just from that one article:

right2bright
Ryan Gandy
NRA4Freedom
Freelancer
James
Warner Todd Huston
packsoldier

but if the whole matter is an msm smear against christians anyway, why are you posting to a blog run by a member of the liberal media?

eh on December 5, 2008 at 5:04 PM

that equals 163 ???? what am I missing here?

jp on December 5, 2008 at 4:24 PM

I dunno. Maybe they polled all 57 states or maybe Al Franken did the counting.

MB4 on December 5, 2008 at 4:53 PM

The question must have been “Would you support the following candidates?” not “Which of the following candidates would you support?” so that multiple candidates could get your “I would support…”

Count to 10 on December 5, 2008 at 5:04 PM

The one part of Sarah’s conservative philosophy that I believe Sarah can use to expand her popularity is her affection for libertarian principles; of all the mistakes the McCain campaign made it did not allow Sarah to demonstrate her support for libertarianism but instead allowed the MSM portray her as a right-wing religious bigot, which her own Alaskans know she isn’t and which the Lower 48 will find out hopefully over the next 4 years.

technopeasant on December 5, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Another meaningless posting by Palin-hater Allahpundit.

I don’t think Allahpundit is a Palin-hater. (Although, I can’t speak for him.) Allahpundit is not a social con, therefore, he doesn’t agree with her. There’s a difference between not agreeing and hating.

terryannonline on December 5, 2008 at 5:05 PM

ramrocks on December 5, 2008 at 4:40 PM

meltenn on December 5, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Geez , it doesn’t seem like the media is letting the Palin-bashing slow down at all though. I saw a clip of Olbey on Martha “Cell 17″ Stewart and there was such a contrived q and a whos only purpose seemed to be a lead-in for Olbey to make fun of her turkey “THE HORROR” story.

hawkdriver on December 5, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Palin=Reagan……game over..she wins.

dec5 on December 5, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Dave Rywall on December 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Heh. Sheetrock and I agree – first time evah! Awesome.

Fallen Sparrow on December 5, 2008 at 5:07 PM

who gives a flying piece of turd what people say today about events 3 YEARS away?

We have real issues to discuss like Obama’s birth certificate and whether or not the hang up on Obama was intentional or not.

Come on people, get back on the program!

gatorboy on December 5, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Palin is a dead-end for the GOP, as she can’t reach out beyond the base she already appeals to. In case you hadn’t noticed, Obama did reach out by being a more centrist Democrat and it paid off for him in states like Indiana, Ohio and Virginia – states that the Republicans need to win in 2012 or 2016.

starfleet_dude on December 5, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Who freaking cares about polls this far out? If they meant anything at all the last election would have been between Giuliani and Clinton. What a waster of web.

angelat0763 on December 5, 2008 at 5:09 PM

If she pushes the FairTax too, all things equal, she has my vote.

Dadvocate on December 5, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Anyone who believes this poll, also will believe Obama is a new kind of politician! ITS CNN people, they have proven that they are in the business of steering public opinion, not reporting it.

We need to start writing to the GOP, and get them to change things before 2012. They cannot use the same Primary system that was used in 2008. The dems, and media have figured out how to manipulate that system. Unless obama does everything he has promised, and really destroys the economy, he will not be contested in the dem primaries. That means all the dems will be free to go sabotage the GOP Primaries! So unless you want another McShame as the GOP candidate, contact the GOP ASAP, and demand reform!

I would recommend scrapping the whole primary system. Then just have elected GOP politicians( Gov.’s, Senators, Rep.’s), former elected office holders, and other top GOP contributors(proven GOP members) meet at a pre-convention convention to select a candidate. That would save a lot of money for the election, and eliminate a lot of soundbites that can be used against the candidate later. The average GOP supporter could still have influence by contacting their local GOP politicians, and campaining for their choice. Better than letting CNN choose!

Salukidog on December 5, 2008 at 5:10 PM

There’s a difference between not agreeing and hating.

terryannonline on December 5, 2008 at 5:05 PM

not amongst “real” conservatives.

eh on December 5, 2008 at 5:10 PM

But that strategy didn’t work nearly as well for McCain, now did it?

angelat0763 on December 5, 2008 at 5:10 PM