CNN 2012 poll: Huckabee 34, Palin 32 among Republicans and independents

posted at 4:20 pm on December 5, 2008 by Allahpundit

Tough choice. Do we go with the blue-collar populist social con who’s soft on immigration? Or do we go with Huckabee?

Relax. It’s within the margin of error.

“It might come as a surprise to some that Palin does better than Huckabee among GOP men but that Huckabee beats Palin among Republican women,” says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. “Palin’s strength is also concentrated among older Republicans, but Huckabee may have a slight edge among conservative Republicans.”

Among voters who consider themselves born again or evangelical, Huckabee draws more support than Palin, with a 9 point edge. Meanwhile, Palin holds a 7-point advantage among non-born again or evangelical voters.

Mitt pulls 28, Gingrich 27, Giuliani(!) 23, and Jindal 19. The good news? If this is the race we end up with, come 2011 there’ll be a new Kathleen Parker “oogedy boogedy” column every week. Exit question: To the extent there’s anything newsworthy about this moronic poll, which, like all the rest thus far, shows Palin atop the field, what’s more significant? The fact that Huck seems to have a base of fanatic supporters as large as hers? (The 34/32 number comes from voters who say they’re “very likely” to support their candidate. If you include “somewhat likelies,” Palin leads by two.) Or the fact that the ‘Cuda leads significantly head to head among non-religious voters? Given her strict views on abortion and the media’s demagoguery of her beliefs, I’m reading that data less as a reflection on her than as a perception that Huckabee’s a hardline theocon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

LOL!! I sometimes think it might be nice to live in a conservative stronghold too. But I love California warts and all.

ramrocks on December 6, 2008 at 1:36 AM

I was just looking through my honeymoon pics in Santa Barbara. That was only five years ago. I lived in Vegas ten years ago, but it’s changed too much for me. I love deserts, though. I definitely want to live in a red state.

meltenn on December 6, 2008 at 1:38 AM

I grew up in West Virginia, so I love college football and mountains. Frist, I’m not so sure about. Tennessee might be the ticket, though. My Canadian husband married me for my accent, I’m pretty sure. We love the South.

chunderroad on December 6, 2008 at 3:25 AM

The biggest challenge for the TC pipeline is getting it through all the territorial wrangles in Canada. I’m confident it’ll get done.

ramrocks on December 6, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Harper is big on energy and trade, and he knows the new Obama administration will be slow to come around if not down right backwards. That could be an advantage to Palin. I think the federal government will be preoccupied, but once she has her ducks in a row, they will cooperate. Of course, they’re going to put a lot into knocking her out in 2010, but if she hangs tight, I can’t see they’d be petty.

chunderroad on December 6, 2008 at 3:34 AM

Na na na na naaa… to all the Huckabee saboteurs.

apacalyps on December 6, 2008 at 3:43 AM

Huckabee is not theocon. You cannot pull the underhanded garbage that he has and stand for anything but your own success. It is simple. If the Huckster win the next nomination I am NOT voting Republican.

I held my nose and voted for Dole and regretted it.

I voted for G.W. Bush twice and I regret it.

I voted for McCain and I regret it.

If we would have held firm earlier and let the party feel the pain for abandoning its conservative principles, this would have been turned around already. By going along with the crappy candidates they have given us all we have done is embolden the “blue bloods” into thinking we will take whatever they give us. I am drawing the line here and now. Either we get a REAL conservative next presidential election or I go find a third party.

Hawthorne on December 6, 2008 at 3:50 AM

One main difference between 2012 and 2008 Sarah will be able to slant her speech any way she wants to enhance her resume. I noticed in the last half the 2008 campaign (when she went rogue) that she appeared freer and lot more committed to what she wanted to say, She was just dynamite on the trail playing to SRO audiences. In 2-4 years Sarah will be much better prepared and especially more conversant on the issues of the day and be able to talk in specifics while it appeared occasionally in 2008 that she was talking in generalities. I can’t see her slipping in the polls. She is a contender for the crown and I predict will still be in 2010.

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 3:53 AM

Listen up Republican establishment. Hawthorne is speaking for much of its grass-roots support. Get a person in the RNC chair who is a true conservative. Either you’re for conservatism or you’re against it. If the latter get out of the way-we’re coming through.

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 3:58 AM

I only voted for Bush in 2004. I skipped 2000. If the nominee is Huckabee, Romney, Pawlenty, Sanford or some moderate, I am sitting out this election. Depending on who Jindal’s campaign advisers are, I might not go for him, either. Something’s off about him with me, though I know he has a lot of support. It is Palin all the way with me.

chunderroad on December 6, 2008 at 4:05 AM

News for ya- Anyone who hangs out at CNN is a liberal or RINO. Ever look through the comment sections? Chilling.

gdonovan on December 6, 2008 at 6:54 AM

LOL The CNN poll?

Rick007 on December 6, 2008 at 7:43 AM

The lib propganda starts now. They are trying to downplay Palin because after 4 years of the great “O” Dumbo she will be your next Pres.

Have you ever seen any person in history that is more in the news than the Pres. elect???????
Shes more popular than the “O” Dumbo.

Rick007 on December 6, 2008 at 7:47 AM

but but we need mystical green energy to power our 10th century windmills and v-1 Pelosi-Scooters

joey24007 on December 5, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Hey, don’t be hatin’ on the v-1 Pelosi Scooter. I use mine when I go down the road to the Quik Mart.

It runs great…. (but on the return trip, pushing it uphill is getting tiresome)

Red State State of Mind on December 6, 2008 at 7:48 AM

Sure, I take all my republican opinions from CNN seriously.

ctmom on December 6, 2008 at 7:52 AM

These polls from the liberal media are always, ALWAYS implied as this question…

“If for some reason Obama lost the election in 2012 and it had to go to a Republican, who would you rather have as President – Huckabee or Palin? No third-party candidate either… and no option to stay home and refuse to vote. If you had to pick between Huckabee or Palin (or else your family would die) who would you choose… seriously?”

nitzsche on December 6, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Red State State of Mind on December 6, 2008 at 7:48 AM

I roll 22s chrome

joey24007 on December 6, 2008 at 9:23 AM

I’m still trying to figure out why this is money stuff is important in any way

who cares how much was spent on the Cuda … 150,000, 1 million, 2 dollars … it doesn’t matter to me

what matters to me was the awful campaign run by the RNC and McCain

McCain should have to explain all the money he “Wasted”

at least Palin proved to be a bright spot

… hey, how much money did Rick Davis earn from Fannie and Freddie?

joey24007 on December 6, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Next from the New York Times – Palin drank bottled water that was paid for by the RNC – when she could have drunk water from the bathroom sink for free!

Jim62sch on December 6, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Carl Cameron is now reporting, wait, this is break news on the Factor, … Cameron ..?

Cameron: Yeah Bill

Cameron: Yes, Bill, McCain insiders have told me that Palin had ripped the tag of a hotel mattress … the tag is clearly labeled that this is not permitted … also McCain officials have told me, although Palin insists that she has only asked for Diet Dr. Pepper, we can confirm that she asked on at least 3 occasions for Regular Dr. Pepper

joey24007 on December 6, 2008 at 10:18 AM

I haven’t seen much of old Campaign Carl lately, though admittedly I cut back on Fox News after they were infected with Hopeychanginess.

Did Cameron go on vacation after it was leaked that he had dressed up in a Wonder Woman costume?

Jim62sch on December 6, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Jim62sch on December 6, 2008 at 10:25 AM

lmao … no Cameron is now living in the federal witness protection program because he is scared of the Cuda

his code name is “weasel-boy”

joey24007 on December 6, 2008 at 10:28 AM

4 years is a long time. and even though palin looks like the frontrunner now, who knows who will launch campaigns in 2 years. i mean, look at bambi. he was (& is) a nothing. he just had tons of soros’ money.

huckabee has been too mean to other candidates. those factions will not forget.

kelley in virginia on December 6, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Dear Lord, *please*, can we not talk about 2012 candidates for a little while? Give us an f-ing break.

Midas on December 6, 2008 at 10:51 AM

This is a CNN poll….yeah that is significant because?

Dr Evil on December 6, 2008 at 11:23 AM

After this last election I’m thinking that anyone the media (especially CNN) tries to hype on us is NOT the person we need on the ticket.

They’re giving these people a lot of exposure this early and to me that’s an indication that I need to be looking elsewhere. Mark Sanford, Gary Johnson, and others have indicated they’re interested in running.

popularpeoplesfront on December 6, 2008 at 11:31 AM

It runs great…. (but on the return trip, pushing it uphill is getting tiresome)

Red State State of Mind on December 6, 2008 at 7:48 AM

I’m waiting for the new v-2 to be released with the solar windmill helmet.

ramrocks on December 6, 2008 at 12:03 PM

joey24007 on December 6, 2008 at 10:18 AM

I heard that she also, and I quote, “very specifically requested” chocolate Atkins bars. Sounds to me like she was throwing temper tantrums left and right demanding that things be purchased for her!

ramrocks on December 6, 2008 at 12:08 PM

To heck with Huck and Palin. Senator Bob Corker from Tennessee, after seeing him questioning the automakers and UAW has my vote. This guy is a winner.

la.rt.wngr on December 6, 2008 at 12:15 PM

la.rt.wngr on December 6, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Grilling the auto makers at a time when 61% of the public is dead set against a bailout of the auto industry is hardly politically courageous. It’s more like common sense.

That said, I wish Sen. Corker all the best.

ramrocks on December 6, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I will work tirelessly for Palin if she decides to run.

Firebird on December 6, 2008 at 12:46 PM

CNN 2012 poll: Huckabee 34, Palin 32 among Republicans and independents. Mitt pulls 28, Gingrich 27, Giuliani(!) 23, and Jindal 19.

The skyyyyys above are clear again. This is wonderful. Simply WONDERFUL!!!!

apacalyps on December 6, 2008 at 12:54 PM

The skyyyyys above are clear again. This is wonderful. Simply WONDERFUL!!!!

apacalyps on December 6, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Enjoy it while it lasts (maybe a week or so).

ddrintn on December 6, 2008 at 1:06 PM

What AP doesn’t record is that Sarah scores 67% if you added the most likely to the somewhat likely, while Huckabee scores 65%. So actually Sarah is ahead of those leaning to her in the poll. AP (Allahpundit), I think, didn’t want to give Sarah that must prominence: she is already in my mind the de facto leader of the party; he certaily wouldn’t want to acknowledge that, would he?

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Hate to say “I TOLD YOU SO”, but I TOLD YOU SO. Huck will win.

marklmail on December 6, 2008 at 1:10 PM

WHAT WE NEED IN THE GOP ARE CLOSED PRIMARIES IN ALL 50 STATES. 0R 57 FOR YOU OBAMA VOTERS.

WE NEED TO STOP ALLOWING DEMOCRATS AND “INDEPENDENTS” TO DECIDE OUR PARTIES CANDIDATE. THAT’S HOW WE ENDED UP WITH McCAIN. WE ALLOWED OUR POLITICAL RIVALS TO CHOOSE OUR CANDIDATE. WHERE IS THE POLL OF THOSE “INDEPENDENTS” AND DEMOCRATS WHO VOTED FOR McAIN IN AN OPEN PRIMARY STATE, WHO THEN VOTED FOR OBAMA IN THE GENERAL ELECTION?

roninacreage on December 6, 2008 at 1:19 PM

“I will work tirelessly for Palin if she decides to run.

Firebird on December 6, 2008 at 12:46 PM”

Chuck Norris will be paying you a visit.

marklmail on December 6, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Anyone who is in favor of Huckabee in 2012 is either a) woefully uninformed on his record, or b) not a true conservative. This man will tax us into the poor house while achieving virtually nothing other than further abridging individual rights.

Mike Huckabee: A Libertarian Conservative’s Worst Nightmare

NoLeftTurn on December 6, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Name me any losing VP candidate that was this popular right after losing an election since 1952: John Edwards, Al Gore, Jack Kemp, Dan Quayle, Geraldine Ferraro, Walter Mondale, Bob Dole, Sargent Shriver, Ed Muskie, William Miller, Henry Cabot Lodge, Estes Kefauver, John Sparkman-you add all these gentlemen up and they would barely match the popularity within a political party that Sarah now enjoys barely one month later. Sarah is a phenomenon, a rock-star or superstar, and according to the base not to blame for the defeat of the McCain campaign. Whatever the MSM has tried to portray Sarah as, it hasn’t taken with many people: she’s a loser, dumb, inept, polarizing, and a political lightweight is not what many see in Sarah. In Sarah they see the future of America, the rebound of the GOP to national prominence, the retaking of Congress and the White House and finally the preservation of traditional values and political, economic and community exceptionalism of America. In essence Sarah is America; now the job of the supporters of Sarah is to convince others to see her the same way.

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Excerpt from Michael Reagan’s recent column:

Before the Republican Party even begins to think about curing what ails it, members have to recognize the fact that the party is Balkanized.

We are never going to win elections if we remain broken up into separate factions, sometimes barely speaking to one another. Bizarre as it seems, each group within this Balkanization of the GOP is united in the belief that Ronald Reagan is its standard bearer.

eaglescout1998 on December 6, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Enjoy it while it lasts.

ddrintn on December 6, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Thank you. Thank you, very much. Don’t fight us join us though. We can use your help. Seriously. Why shackle yourself to the wheel of a sinking ship?

apacalyps on December 6, 2008 at 2:07 PM

I agree completely with Michael Reagan. That is why, although I am a strong supporter of Sarah, I refuse to take potshots at any of the other potential GOP candidates for 2012 but instead reserve all my denunciation and outrage for those who really deserve it: Obama and his merry men and women and the Democrats. If every GOP supporter could realize who is the true archenemy and adopt that selfsame attitude I strongly believe that under a new RNC Chairman the GOP and a renewal of commitment to political excellence all Republicans and conservatives could come together and bond much sooner under the banner of ousting from power a common adversary who is a salient threat and omnipresent danger to the American way of life that was set in place by the Founding Fathers.

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Intrade has Sarah as underpriced at $12, Jindal is at $24 and Romney is at $26 for leading contenders for the GOP nomination in 2012. Will Intrade ever learn? Sarah was barely on the board before she was nominated by McCain. For Sarah supporters this is just the beginning of the deliberate manipulation perpetrated by the Democrats and the MSM that will take place over the next 4 years in order to convince the GOP to nominate the weakest candidate to face Obama.

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM

How about we win some seats in 2010..Let’s get Steele in to the RNC and push his agenda, our agenda..I think we can and will do better than Huckabee, Romney or Rudy. Let’s move forward, not back.

Pam on December 6, 2008 at 2:31 PM

When Rush Limbaugh supports your views and candidacy wholeheartedly (as he did on the Barbara Walters’ special) it is a boon and godsend. Sarah, you’re already half way to becoming totally embraced by the conservative movement. And it’s only one month from the last election. As an ad might say: Priceless! That is the nugget that emerged from the Walters’ special that few people are talking about but which conservatives all across America probably took notice of.

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Good God, please no.

Patriot811 on December 6, 2008 at 2:46 PM

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Maybe we should see this as an opportunity to bet on Sarah now and rake in the money when she does win the nomination!

ramrocks on December 6, 2008 at 2:48 PM

What do we have to do to get rid of this Schmuckabee parasite? Do we run Gary Bauer again just to neutralize him? Dear G-d, no! is right. Not SchmuckBee, not now not ever. What a fake execrable POS he is. Get him off my radar NOW!

Still, it is just a CNN poll, about as trustworthy as 100% employment missives from Pravda back in the day.

Western_Civ on December 6, 2008 at 2:51 PM

I know that Sarah and some of you might not agree with me but Sarah must strike when the iron is hot. For example after Dan Quayle lost in the 1992 election as the VP candidate he ran for the presidency in 2000 and finished 8th in Iowa and dropped out shortly after. if Sarah forgoes 2012 for 2016, she will be taking a chance that events will intervene and that other appealing GOP candidates may crop up to claim her ‘conservative mantle’. Out of sight, out of mind. In an ideal world she will gain more experience, become more schooled in foreign affairs, and above all gain gravitas and then ‘on tap’ according to a fanciful criteria of readiness. Folks, this is not an ideal world, but Sarah is NOW an ideal candidate, not in the distant future. In an old movie with Jimmy Cagney called 13 Rue Madeleine Jimmy, playing an American OSS agent in France, is talking to a French Resistance leader who is balking at openly perpetrating mayhem against the Germans because he wants to wait for word of the Allied landing in France. Jimmy then points out to the Frenchman “Now is the time; now is the time!”

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 3:22 PM

The Huckabee resistance force is too strong. Those who oppose us cannot win. I repeat. You cannot win! If you strike us down, we shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Jump from your sinking ship. “Bailout!” “Bailout!” From the way it is going down in a spin nose, there’s not much time left for you to save yourself! Turn away from the darkside and join the Saints-Against-Hellbound-Freaks and receive your lightsaber today — your sword of truth — join us and fight the good fight! (apacalyps ignites the lightsaber and holds the humming, brilliant blade.) Take it! Take hold! Take possession of what is yours! Know the meaning of your life, and fulfill your destiny. All you have to do is receive it!!!

apacalyps on December 6, 2008 at 3:28 PM

chunderroad on December 6, 2008 at 3:25 AM

Hey, come on down! No state income tax, sales tax in my county is right at 10% (that’s across the board – includes food), but that’s about it. Property tax, and vehicle registration fees. My county has a wheel tax too. We get a lot of folks from up north that retire here (instead of Virginia or NC) because of our taxes.

Corker and Lamar Alexander both are pretty good guys. He was mayor of Chattanooga before he ran for Senate. He did some good things with downtown and riverfront development down there. Chattanooga’s a nice town by the way, it gets pretty hot and humid in the summer though.

I don’t actually know that Frist is going to be our next governor, I’ve just heard that he’s going to run in 2010 with Ron Ramsey (the current Lt. Gov) helping him out in east Tennessee (We’re a pretty Republican part of the state, but Frist’s not the most popular Republican in the area. Ramsey is from here and could help him shore that up, then be his Lt. Gov). I think that he’s setting himself up to run in 2012 when the conditions might be more favorable for Republicans. That’s just me speculating though.

meltenn on December 6, 2008 at 3:32 PM

I’m glad to see Huckabee supporters are as passionate as Sarah’s supporters. I hope one day we can join hands and unite that passion against the Messiah and his hordes of radical socialists whose aim is to destroy the America that we all know (or at least knew) and love.

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 3:34 PM

To show you how not only Obama but also his ‘friend that he palled around with’ have taken advantage of ‘political legitimacy’ made possible by the MSM Bill Ayres is now telling all who are interested that his attempts to bring down the US government and to foment violence on the ‘power structure’ were NOT acts of domestic terrorism but only episodes of ‘extreme vandalism.’ That’s like saying the coverup of Watergate by Nixon was not a criminal undertaking but only episodes of extreme political indiscretion.

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Folks, let me propose 10 fantastic things that you may shake your head at but nevertheless I think have the potential to be outlawed or severely restricted under the reign of the Messiah: 1) outdoor hunting by declaring many more species endangered; 2)if not the confiscation of guns at least outlawing the manufacture of certain calibre of bullets to prevent their usage 3)the passing of ‘hate crime’ legislation similar to Canada to prevent religious or any groups from saying anything against the gay lifestyle or disputing anything that gay groups advocate (arguing that free speech is not absolute)-would also apply to any other groups that conservatives disagree with 4)passing a law that religious preachers cannot utter any political sentiment in their church and cannot allow their church property to be used by any political party to organize GOTV efforts or to raise money (of course when leftists like Jeremiah Wright spout ‘political rhetoric’ it will be deemed by liberal judges as ‘liberation theoolgy’ and not political in nature 5)repeal of the Fairness doctrine to muzzle any dissent on the airwaves by the right-wing 6)an insane surtax on meat producers and slaughterhouses to convince people to eat less meat and become more vegetarian-conscious 7)non-union workers will be forced to pay an surtax until they produce proof that they have joined a union 8)mandate the teaching in public schools of the radical educational methods of Bill Ayres and making compulsory that every student in America take a course on the merits of Islam and multiculturalism 9)passing a law making it legal to accept political campaign contributions from overseas 10)similar to cities declare America a nuclear free zone thus outlawing America from making use of any form of atomic energy or ever using the atomic bomb again and the beginning of the dismantling of America’s arsenal. Sound like the twilight zone. Maybe, maybe not.

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 4:57 PM

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 4:57 PM

I looked at a couple of guns today. I’m thinking about getting a .410 shotgun for a house gun/varmint killer. I did like the looks of the handgun that handles both .410 shells and .45s because it would be easier to handle in the house if I had to use it (heaven forbid). But I’d never get close enough to get off a kill shot with it when the groundhogs and rabbits eat my garden. Probably should decide soon though, before the gun laws change. I’d be happy to help make groundhogs endangered by the way, especially the one that ate all my cabbage and brussel sprouts this year.

meltenn on December 6, 2008 at 5:24 PM

roninacreage on December 6, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Dude, no need for all caps in bold. If you’re always shouting, you’re never shouting.

Tzetzes on December 6, 2008 at 5:35 PM

today a staffer for Obama slammed John McCain and said that Obama will make a better president. “In this day and age, you’d thing the American people would look past race and consider the content of character. That is why Obama would make a better president than John McCain. (after being reminded that Obama won the election): “That would require Obama to make harsh decisions regarding the future of this country. Having never made a decision in his life, he would prefer to remain in the campaign mode making promises for the next 4 years then run for re-election.” (Liberal Lunacy claims they invented the story ‘but based on past actions and/or words COULD be true’

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 6:00 PM

I just finished watching All the KIng’s Men (1949) on TCM. I’m not going to rehash the movie and give the plot away but I’d like to comment on two aspects of the movie that first apply to Sarah and then to Obama. The first part deals with the establishment, elites and the press trying to put the kibosh on a ‘hick’ politician from gaining more popularity and upsetting the applecart. Willie Stark (the charismatic populist politician)’is getting too big for his britches; the hicks are getting too smart’. Then Stark in a later scene is looked upon with amazement by his handlers after he throws away his speech and speaks from the heart and says ‘only a hick helped another hick’ and goes on to tell the audience what the facts of life are for a ‘hick’ and what their reality is in terms of edcuation, health, growing crops etc (in other words going rogue); from there his popularity snowballs and he eventually gets elected governor. Then the Obama part of the story is fleshed out in the second part of the movie. Willie becomes corrupt. He starts off by saying: “I learned something-how to win.” “I’m going to soak the fat boys (appeal to redistribution of wealth). “We need a college man around-for research.” (little black book on political enemies to dish dirt); his standard MO is ‘Man is conceived in sin and born in corruption.” “You can’t make an omelette without cracking eggs.” “Out of evil comes good.” Eventually he has highways named after him and he gains control of the newspapers and radio stations (the MSM at the time, and of course no alternative media). In a movie reel the narrator asks “Is Willie Stark a Messiah or a dictator?” I will not reveal the ending of the movie but I think you can guess how the curtain may come down (at least in 1949). By the way All the King’s Men won the Best Movie of the year for 1949.

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 7:41 PM

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Great post. Thank you for sharing it. I’ve got to see that film now.

ramrocks on December 6, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Meanwhile, details on the more than $600 million raised by Team Obama are utterly irrelevant.

ddrintn on December 6, 2008 at 1:38 AM

Well at least someone besides us has noticed the hypocrisy. The New York Daily News notes that:

The flush Obama campaign also came in for very little criticism in how it spent the dough. For John McCain it was just the opposite.

It doesn’t provide a lot of details on how he spent his money, but among the Obama expenses article does note: 400,000 temporary Obama tattoos. It also says that Obama’s staff “got to keep their computers and BlackBerrys.”

meltenn on December 6, 2008 at 9:03 PM

meltenn on December 6, 2008 at 9:03 PM

They’re angry that the RNC bought suits for Palin but “temporary tattoos” get a pass?

Computers and BlackBerrys cost a heck of a lot more than a pair of Kawaski glasses for Palin.

Shameless double standard. At least the RNC money didn’t come from untraceable and fraudulent donors!

ramrocks on December 6, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Since I am on the theme of movies let me comment on the classic It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) with James Stewart and Donna Reed and how different the America of 2008 is. As the movie opens it shows George Bailey (Stewart) as a boy having fun with his younger brother, Harry and other boys sledding on a frozen lake; Harry falls in and George saves him but loses the hearing in his left ear. If it was 2008 his family would have sued the county for millions for not posting warning signs and to pay for future medical bills. Then George becomes an errand boy for a pharmacist who on learning of his son’s death in WWI, fills a prescription incorrectly substituting poison for the real concoction; George learns of this oversight caused by grief and thus prevents the pharmacist from going to jail; George does not tell a living soul. In 2008 the boy would have blabbed to his social worker or community organizer and word would have gotten to the Food and Drug Administration which would have launched a full-blown investigation into how many pharmacists are actually careless in preparing prescriptions; later George and a local girl Mary (Reed) attend a high school dance in the gymnasium which is above the school swimming pool; as a prank another student pulls a lever, the floor parts likes the Red Sea, George and Mary fall into the pool, followed by other couples and everybody laughs it off and dries off; in 2008 instead of affixing blame to the mischief-maker, parents would be calling for a public inquiry and the resignation of the school board and the principal for the public embarrassment and the increased insurance premiums caused by the incident; later George’s father, who owns a Savings and Loans business dies and on the brink of a hostile takeover the board asks George to take over his father’s business; in 2008 the Board would have probably called in an army of consultants to advise them how to proceed; during the course of the business George’s Uncle Billy loses the money he is supposed to deposit at the bank (actually found by the man who wants to take over the S & L); George is distraught; he could go to jail. He thinks of committing suicide. He prays. An angel appears that shows George what the world would be without him being born. George eventually realizes that he has had a wonderful life affecting the life of others and decides to take his medicine. Meanwhile his wife Mary has rounded up some long-time depositors and called his brother Harry, a successful businessman to ask them if they can help. At the end of the movie as you might suspect they all come through and replace the ‘lost’ money; Harry cancels his speaking engagement in Washington and nobly rushes back to help George; in 2008 a man named McCain is lambasted for suspending his campaign to help in an emergency and a Washington bureaucrat in 2008 could have told George that he didn’t have to go through all that personal aggravation and despair-George why didn’t you apply for a government bailout? George also would have consulted with his media advisor as to how to best minimize the damage in the eyes of the public. In the final scene of the movie a bell tinkles on a Christmas tree-Bailey’s little girl says “Teacher says when a bell rings an angel is getting his wings.” In 2008 there would be no Christmas tree but instead a scene of George and Mary Bailey and their guests gathered around the TV laughing uproariously at the SNL skit mocking Sarah Palin while the Bailey children are listening to the lyrics of the latest ‘rap’ hit and Madonna’s paean to the devil. The adults end the movie by saying ‘Happy Holidays’ to each other, with George Bailey and Mary Bailey, finally alone, getting stoned on grass and supplementing it with a glass of French wine while a pornographic DVD is playing on their computer and they are staring at a picture of Obama over the artificial fireplace.

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 9:36 PM

By the way Newbusters has a GOP poll going on who people favor in 2012? Guess who is number one: you guessed it-with 4411 votes cast Sarah Palin has garnered 40% of the vote; Jindal is at 20%; Romney and Gingrich at 12%, and surprisingly Huckabee is at 3%. How did CNN arrive at their poll results for Huckabee? Voodoo dolls?

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 10:11 PM

For as much as I was extremely skeptical of the pollsters during the last week of the campaign I must admit that most of the respectable pollsters, GW Battleground, IBD and Rasmussen got it right, especially when it came to the identification of Democrats increasing to 39% while the GOP sunk to 32%, a gap of 7%. Before the election this was in dispute by not only me but many others who could not believe that GOP had sunk that low.

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 10:30 PM

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 10:30 PM

same here, up til Election Day, I was still expecting a McCain Palin win. Whoops….

Red State State of Mind on December 6, 2008 at 11:14 PM

technopeasant on December 6, 2008 at 9:36 PM

ROTFLMAO! That was great.

ramrocks on December 6, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Over at the Rush Limbaugh thread: “If the citizens neglect their duty and place unprincipled men in office, the govt will soon be corrupted, laws will be made not for the public good so much as for the selfish or local purposes.” Noah Webster.

technopeasant on December 7, 2008 at 1:01 AM

So CT Whitman says that the GOP has been held hostage to SC and describes the selection of SP as a ‘cynical sop to social fundamentalists’ reinforcing the impression that they control the party, with the party’s consent. Folks, these are fighting words. The rebuilding of the GOP started with the Chambliss landslide victory, continued tonight with 2 upset GOP victories in Louisiana House races and will take on a new dimension if a conservative person is chosen as the new RNC. And Arnold opposes Proposition 8; The battle lines have been drawn. Let the games begin in 2009.

technopeasant on December 7, 2008 at 1:40 AM

The Telegraph (UK) has an article criticizing the American MSM double standard given to the supposedly ill-informed GOVERNOR Sarah Palin versus the legitimacy given to Caroline Kennedy, a woman with no direct political experience, as she is being touted as the replacement for Hillary Clinton’s Senate seat. I wonder what the GOP will say if she is indeed nominated. My prediction: zilch, nada!

technopeasant on December 7, 2008 at 1:49 AM

technopeasant on December 7, 2008 at 1:49 AM

The MSM doesn’t have a problem with liberal women who use nepotism to come to power. They have a problem with conservative women who come from truly humble beginnings and make their way to the top completely on their own initiative without the help of husbands or fathers.

ramrocks on December 7, 2008 at 3:00 AM

Many pundits comment that polls this far out are useless and no indication who will be the GOP standard-bearer in 2012. I would say that many things and events can intervene to change the dynamics of the 2012 race but as to the individuals themselves it provides them a launching pad to get the ball rolling towards being credible. As for Sarah, it affirms that the base has not abandoned her because of the 2008 election loss. On the contrary, it appears the base has embraced her wholeheartedly and thrown McCain to the curb and have made a decision not to look back but to look ahead through Sarah’s eyes. Sarah is savvy enough to recognize this and I am extremely confident, if she wants to run, she will, like an Olympic athlete, prepare herself mentally and physically for the challenge ahead and become more conversant every day with the issues through personal study and developing a ‘kitchen cabinet’ and develop in-depth policies that address these issues.

technopeasant on December 7, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Go over to the ‘Rush’ thread on page 4 and you can read Rush’s speech that he gave recently regarding the results of the past election, the future of conservatism, and his respect that he has for Sarah.

technopeasant on December 7, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Can’t we get rid of this blog and his face?

Bambi on December 7, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Bambi on December 7, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Hi Bambi. I love you.

apacalyps on December 8, 2008 at 3:05 AM

Good morning apacalyps. Good to see you’re still alive and well.

Bambi on December 8, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Yawn 142 people support Huckabee and 134 Palin – Wow! I had not idea.

Poptech on December 8, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Yawn 142 people support Huckabee and 134 Palin – Wow! I had not idea.

Poptech on December 8, 2008 at 10:23 AM

You had not brain, too.

chunderroad on December 8, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Over at newbusters.com there ia another poll showing Sarah at 40%, Jindal at 20%, Gingrich and Romney at 12% and Huckabee at 3% after 6700+ online votes

technopeasant on December 8, 2008 at 12:05 PM

And I bet McCain polled even higher in 2004.

LevStrauss on December 8, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Good morning apacalyps. Good to see you’re still alive and well.

Bambi on December 8, 2008 at 9:11 AM

*hugs*

apacalyps on December 8, 2008 at 2:21 PM

LeviStrauss on December 8, 2008 at 1:03 PM

If you were a football team would you rather be up by 2 touchdowns with only 3 minutes gone in the game or behind 2 touchdowns? I rest my case.

technopeasant on December 8, 2008 at 5:29 PM

END IT ALREADY!
See you all in another blog.

Bambi on December 8, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Let’s have a nice post: the ‘Cuda helps out Santa in rural Alaska. I always like to see politicians help out at Christmastime. I’m sure all the rest of them mentioned in this thread will do their part as well.

meltenn on December 8, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Why is this story in the headline thread on 07/08/10?

portlandon on July 8, 2010 at 6:32 PM