University reinstates fundraiser for cystic fibrosis even though it mostly affects white men

posted at 5:28 pm on December 2, 2008 by Allahpundit

A happy update to last week’s post, replete with scalp-taking (and, unhappily, death threats against the kid who’d sponsored the original motion). Women, minorities, punitive liberalism hardest hit:

Following vocal protests from students, the Carleton University Students Association voted unanimously Monday night to:

* Support next year’s cystic fibrosis fundraiser, called Shinerama.
* Donate at least $1,000 to the organization.
* Issue a formal apology.

In addition, the student councillor who crafted the controversial motion to drop the fundraiser resigned…

Meanwhile, a group on campus has submitted a petition signed by 1,000 students calling for the student association president, Brittany Smyth, to be impeached over the incident, which they are calling “Shinerama-gate.”

Exit question: When was the last time a group undid a mistake as forthrightly as this? I’m sad to say that I’m shocked by how well they seem to have handled it.

Breaking on Hot Air

Note from Hot Air management: This section is for comments from Hot Air's community of registered readers. Please don't assume that Hot Air management agrees with or otherwise endorses any particular comment just because we let it stand. A reminder: Anyone who fails to comply with our terms of use may lose their posting privilege.

What’s the catch?

PBoilermaker on December 2, 2008 at 5:31 PM

CHALK ONE UP FOR SANITY!

Done That on December 2, 2008 at 5:32 PM

I hope the president gets Shinerama-ed!

upinak on December 2, 2008 at 5:33 PM

To any so-called “progressives” at CU or anywhere else who find themselves scared and/or offended by death threats against the student councillors who started this, I suggest that when you put poisonous hateful ignorance into the atmosphere, you have no standing to be shocked when it comes back to you tenfold.

Mike D. on December 2, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Score one for the good guys.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 2, 2008 at 5:38 PM

What’s the catch?

Just a guess… They must have a sickle cell disease fundraiser since that mainly afflicts African-Americans.

/sarc

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 2, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Hopefully he/she has learned something. After all, that’s what college is supposed to be for.

Harpoon on December 2, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Shinerama???

Isn’t that racist?

dinobalz on December 2, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Harpoon on December 2, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Hmmm…learning, in college. Nah…that’s crazy talk.

flipflop on December 2, 2008 at 5:44 PM

What’s the catch?

If a cure is found for cystic fibrosis, they have to abort a white, male baby for every white male who’s life is saved.

Glenn Jericho on December 2, 2008 at 5:45 PM

CHALK ONE UP FOR SANITY!

+1

jimmy the notable on December 2, 2008 at 5:50 PM

I still think the school is nothing but a moron warehouse.

Exit question: When was the last time a group undid a mistake as forthrightly as this?

The bar has sunk pretty low, these days. Wow …

progressoverpeace on December 2, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Excepting those who signed the petition, of course. I feel bad for them. They should all look to transferring.

progressoverpeace on December 2, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Haven’t most of the cures for life threatening diseases been discovered and developed by white men? Oh, never mind.

MB4 on December 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM

I’m not positive about this, but, I think that if John Kerry had been elected President in 2004, people with CF would be running marathons by now.

It’s too bad for the people that had to wait from 2004 to 2009, but, come Jan 20th, everyone will be healed by the one and his magnificence.

JadeNYU on December 2, 2008 at 6:09 PM

There aren’t many African-Americans in Ottawa.

YYZ on December 2, 2008 at 6:11 PM

YYZ on December 2, 2008 at 6:11 PM

OK. Maybe they will have to have a fundraiser to find a cure for Muslim spontaneous combustion?

/sarc

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 2, 2008 at 6:16 PM

MB4 on December 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM

They were just showing off … They need to be punished for that.

progressoverpeace on December 2, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Reminds me of the time I got kicked out of diversity training for pointing out that not all cultures and cultural practices are good and that diversity training is merely an attempt to brainwash students.

Then a “diversity facilitator” decided it was worth writing an article in the school newspaper about it and convinced the people in charge to not let me be a incoming freshmen adviser again. F that b!tch.

libertytexan on December 2, 2008 at 6:30 PM

/sarc

That wouldn’t be a bad idea. Here’s one Canadian’s thoughts:

Debbie Foster, whose six-year-old daughter Vicky has cystic fibrosis, said she thinks the student council’s decision is narrow-minded.

“Who knows what will be affected next? Will it be that sickle cell anemia we shouldn’t fight against when it affects mainly African people?”

I don’t think she has an ounce of sarc in her reply, and it is certainly fitting to fund research into sickle cell anemia (and, indeed, the cure for any disease that hurts the human condition).

The CBC article indicates that two of the council have resigned — another in addition to the one who originally submitted the resolution. The article also states that there is a petition circulating amongst the student body to impeach Brittany Smyth, the president of Carleton University’s student council.

unclesmrgol on December 2, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Un-F-ing believable.

Claypigeon on December 2, 2008 at 6:40 PM

My mind has been made up on this issue:

No donations for AIDS research since it kills mostly gays.

No dontation for breast cancer since it kills mostly women.

No dontations for sickle cell research since it kills mostly blacks.

Just the same as Chocolate City had been 67% black, but the media, including Fox News, made the misery out to affect 100% of the black residents only, I could care less about what does not concern me.

If the thugs on the left want to play it that way, I can be as hateful as they, even though it contradicts my disposition.

What a shame.

madmonkphotog on December 2, 2008 at 6:57 PM

flipflop on December 2, 2008 at 5:44 PM

A college is a place where wisdom accumulates. The freshmen bring a little in, and the seniors take none out.

NeighborhoodCatLady on December 2, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Can’t have that now can we?

Make a rule, no more fund raisers for any human kind. There. Thats better.

johnnyU on December 2, 2008 at 7:23 PM

That will be my new email signature if you don’t mind.

It will replace,

“Vegetarian, an old Indian word for lousy hunter”

Jim708 on December 2, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Good result but sad that it came up in the first place. In the 1970s Marxists replaced the “proletarian” with the “white man” as the class to be discredited and replaced in order to create an equalitarian society, with much success.

aengus on December 2, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Rickets is a serious vitamin deficiency disease which results in very poor bone development primarily in black children. It is caused by a deficiency of vitamin D. In the United States it was a substantial problem for blacks in the first half of the last century, especially those living in the northern parts of the country. Most fair skinned people got enough vitamin D from sun exposure to prevent rickets. Blacks have more melanin in their skin which prevents them from forming as much vitamin D from the same amount of sun exposure as whites do. In order to solve this acute race related problem vitamin D was added to milk. It turns out that vitamin D deficiency in older people of all races can contribute to osteoporosis. This problem became important long after vitamin D was added for black children.

I wonder whether Miss Smyth would have had a problem with the race related vitamin D addition which has probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars over the years.

burt on December 2, 2008 at 8:52 PM

She is a witch! Burn her! Burn her!

paulsur on December 2, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Too big not to fail.

Gwillie on December 2, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Ahh yes the ever present death threats, funny how they always seem to hit lefties just when they need to say how wrong they were about something.

“I may have been wrong. But these Death Threats must stop! So I will step down that peace and harmony may be restored.”

Gwillie on December 2, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Damn Canadians, always doing the right thing in the end.

BL@KBIRD on December 2, 2008 at 10:36 PM

The kids are alright.

DamnCat on December 3, 2008 at 10:45 AM