NFL Open Thread: Steelers vs Patriots

posted at 10:36 am on November 30, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

All right, let’s just get this out there. After flying 1500 miles to Southern California and watching the Fighting Irish get the slainte knocked out of them, I deserve a break — and I hope the Steelers can provide it at New England today. It should be a good game to watch, but I’ll be visiting family and friends today, so I’ll have to catch the updates as I can. Both teams need the win, especially the Steelers, whose schedule only gets tougher after this. Can the Steelers’ D force the inexperienced-but-impressive Matt Cassel into a few mistakes?

This matchup has a bit less appeal with QB Tom Brady and SS Rodney Harrison out, but it should be a hard-hitting showdown nonetheless. A few important questions: QB Matt Cassel has improved every week, but can he handle the stellar Steelers defense? Can Pittsburgh’s linebackers cover WR Wes Welker in the slot, or will SS Troy Polamalu shadow him? Is the Patriots’ defense up to stopping QB Ben Roethlisberger, and how will that group try to exploit the Steelers’ protection schemes? Expect Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels to use a lot of no-huddle to neutralize Pittsburgh’s pressure schemes and substitution packages.

The Steelers have a couple of days more rest than the Patriots after their Thursday night win. Hopefully that will give them the edge. I’ll pick Steelers over the Patriots, 21-17.

Here’s a game-day question for Giants fans: can they win without Plaxico Burress, who shot himself in the leg Friday night? They’re playing a tough Washington Redskins on the road. They’re 3-0 in the division, but the Burress distraction may give the Skins an edge. I’ll predict an upset, 24-14 Washington.

Final question: How is Baltimore only a six-point favorite over the hapless Cincinnati Bengals?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Of course, that Green Space was promptly named after the Mother of All Kennedys…

Don’t get me started. That still burns me…

loppyd on November 30, 2008 at 7:08 PM

He

Could

Go

All

The

Way

(or not!!!)

hillbillyjim on November 30, 2008 at 7:12 PM

There is going to be an extra large can of whoop a** opened up in the Pats locker room post-game.

Dinner is ready.

Have a good night.

loppyd on November 30, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Maybe Uncle Ted could get some federal dollars for Belichick a new suit?

hillbillyjim on November 30, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Ed

One break coming up.

hillbillyjim on November 30, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Butterfinger Bowl.

hillbillyjim on November 30, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Matt Cassel is gonna tear the Steelers up

eski502 on November 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Nostradomus you are not

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Del Dolemonte yeh you were pwnd

Oh and the Steelers took care of your girls

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Great game, overcoming yet another atrocious early turnover.

Drive for the sixth ring? There’s no team looking any better than the Steelers in the AFC.

NoDonkey on November 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM

What did I say? WHAT DID I SAY?

Steelers.

Five rings to rule them and in the darkness bind them.

Bishop on November 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM

NoDonkey on November 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Sometimes I think Ben sees Steeler uniforms on the defense.

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Hey can we get a Bears/Vikings thread going tonight ??

moc23 on November 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Del Dolemonte yeh you were pwnd

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Sorry, no.

You’re the one who made a false statement, claiming that the Patriots had “admitted” that they had cheated.

When I proved you wrong, you “responded” with 4 posts in less than 30 minutes, none of which actually addressed the facts which I had posted. All you did was call me names. Saul Alinsky would be proud of you.

All that proves is that you were the one “pwned”.

Thanks for playing!

PS, winning a game almost totally on turnovers doesn’t necessarily mean “greatness” in an NFL team. Especially when your quarterback had less than 200 yards passing. Look at the box score, and you’ll see that despite the score, the actual stats put up by the two teams were surprisingly close. The Steelers got lucky, in no small part due to the weather.

Del Dolemonte on November 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Yeh Pwnd

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Ok Del Dolemonte ye little man…I changed my mind earlier and I said they did not cheat…can you read? I said they broke the rules to gain an unfair advantage.

Lucky? You sound like a typical little puss.

They took care of your girls. Enjoy your tainted rings .

Have fun. Do you take excuses and BS from you kids, wife, co workers? If you are consistent and not a hypocrite you do.

Enjoy 33-10. Steelers D kicked ass. PWND

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Gotta love final scores…..

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 7:57 PM

A little off topic but, when is DNBC going to punt that douche bag Olberman off Sunday Night football? Every time I see his grill on there I have to change the channel to keep from throwing up.

Kjeil on November 30, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Kjeil …not soon enough

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Read the stats:

1) Turnover Ratio Steelers 5-1
2) Net Yards Steelers 333-267
3) Time of Possession Steelers 35 minutes/24 minutes
4) Third Down Eff. Steelers 8-16 vs. NE @ 1-13
5) Score Steelers 33 NE 10
6) Weather for each team Steelers -played in Dry and Sunny
Patriots -played in Wet,Windy
(ok number 6 is not true…I lied)

Pwnd

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Uh sorry, but turnovers happen for a reason. It looked to me like the Steelers were having a wilding party in the Patriot backfield for most of the second half. Matt Light’s middle name should be “Turnstile” the way James Harrison abused him. The Steelers clearly possess the number one defense in the NFL, and it showed today.

And nobody cares how many yards you put up. The Steelers abused the Patriot defense as well, and did it efficiently. Often, throwing for 300 or 400 yards in the NFL is the sign of a team that falls behind early and has to desperately throw the ball to get back in the game (you know, like the Pats did in their loss to the Jets).

Dreadnought on November 30, 2008 at 9:00 PM

The Super Steelers defeat the mangy Barney Frank supporters! And the party is still raging at Tuscany Square…

Zorro on November 30, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Heh! A few ???!!!

4shoes on November 30, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Wow, 5 more posts in record time. I am impressed.

Tell that to Joe Montana (35 300 yard games, 7 400+)

Or tell that to Brett Favre, or Peyton Manning, or even Kerry Collins this season.

Del Dolemonte on November 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Nice diversion…..Still Pwnd

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Nice diversion…..Still Pwnd

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Yes, dear.

Del Dolemonte on November 30, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Del Dolemonte

Counting my posts and calling me dear… are you my wife?

Exposed for the idiot that is Patriot fan. Like the guy with the Kick Me sign doesn’t know everyone is laughing at him. The stats prove you wrong. The spin from Belicheat that you buy. Living in the past and in the inability to comprehend only buttress my points. But wow you can count.

Read the stats:

1) Turnover Ratio Steelers 5-1
2) Net Yards Steelers 333-267
3) Time of Possession Steelers 35 minutes/24 minutes
4) Third Down Eff. Steelers 8-16 vs. NE @ 1-13
5) Score Steelers 33 NE 10
6) Weather for each team Steelers -played in Dry and Sunny
Patriots -played in Wet,Windy
(ok number 6 is not true…I lied)

By the way …they both played in the same crappy weather…right?

Pwnd

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Only reason I called you on the number of your posts is that you used 4 posts to accomplish less than what you could have accomplished in one post, if you were able to do so.

Your first stat is why the Pats lost.

Del Dolemonte on November 30, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Jamson64

Wow, these football open threads bring out the winners.

reaganaut on November 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM

reaganaut on November 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Wow you added so much. These threads must allow losers as well as you got past the gate keeper.

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Gotta love the simpletons …. games are normally won for several reasons. But hey if it easier for you then think that way. The Steelers did not luck into any turnovers. Harrison alone caused two fumbles with Patriots trying to hold him back…literally. Nothing Lucky about it.

Jamson64 on November 30, 2008 at 10:04 PM

“The Steelers got lucky, in no small part due to the weather.”

Dude, didn’t both teams play in the same weather? Don’t be such a sore loser. The Steelers ate you for lunch. Deal with it.

patriette on November 30, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Yes! Broncos take down Jets!

Exit question: Why do the Broncs keep beating teams they shouldn’t and lose to teams they shouldn’t?

Frustrating!

Ace ODale on November 30, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Frustrating!

Ace ODale on November 30, 2008 at 10:49 PM

As a Broncos fan from as far as four decades ago, I assure you it’s simply a DNA thing.

But what a sweet road win.

wccawa on November 30, 2008 at 11:04 PM

As a Broncos fan from as far as four decades ago

Here as well. I fondly recall the Revenge Tour, where Elway went to the SB via the Wildcard route. Each team they beat in the playoffs was a team that had beaten Denver in the regular season.

Since the West is so bad, the Broncos are a lock for a playoff position this year.

Ace ODale on November 30, 2008 at 11:17 PM

The Broncos actually have a decent team. The problems they face are;

1) injuries
2) cohesiveness

It’s hard to put a team together when the players change significantly week to week.

This is unlike any Broncos team I’ve rooted for. Ever. That could prove to be a good thing. Or not. But dang, I like that guy Hillis. He is a friggin’ stud. And Cutler? I can see these guys getting healthy and doing some serious damage in the playoffs.

I can also see them losing 44-6 in the first round. I guess we’ll see.

wccawa on November 30, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Watching Steelers and Pats fans argue is like watching bandwagoners argue over who is the least bandwagonie.

csdeven on November 30, 2008 at 11:42 PM

What, no quote of the day?

Seven Percent Solution on December 1, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Quote of the Day:

Steve Smith is the best player in the NFL.

Mr. Wednesday Night on December 1, 2008 at 2:07 AM

Congrats to the Steelers, Giants and Ravens and their fans!

It was nice to watch frozen Belichick on a stick complaining about taunting and that little twerp Welker get one of the hits he has been deserving for years. I wonder if the Steeler owner (who is clearly a helper of The One) knows that supernatural powers are helping his team?

I like the Giants all the time. I pull for the Skins since I had issues with Joe Gibbs and Coach Zorn seems a stand up guy and conservative. Skins used to be the backstab capital in the backstab capital. Honest.

The utterly talented and mean side of the Ravens appeared on Cincy. They will roll on but eventually but mess up some cerebral activity like Pelosi, Reid and Franf and Dodd do. Just look out if you catch them in their mean streak!

I was wrong all games last night…seems 2008…not my year.

IlikedAUH2O on December 1, 2008 at 7:46 AM

“Sometimes I think Ben sees Steeler uniforms on the defense.”

Sometimes I think he tries to make games exciting so he can come back and make a great play to win.

Steelers never play boring games and this one was a good example.

NoDonkey on December 1, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Or not.

Plaxico needs to go the way of of that other loud mouth idiot Jeremy Shockey. They haven’t missed him and won’t miss Plaxico either while he’s doing his mandatory 3 1/2 years in prison. The Giants are a TEAM and win because of that and the large number of weapons they have to throw at an opponent.

jnelchef on December 1, 2008 at 8:41 AM

I was glad when Plax left the Steelers. He’s an overgrown juvenile delinquent who has been lucky enough to be on two good teams.

You really think Plax will go to prison? 3 1/2 years? Ron Mexico does need a WR.

NoDonkey on December 1, 2008 at 9:42 AM

Del Dolemonte on November 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM

This has been handled already, but…

Del, I like your politics, but you seem to have a dog in the hunt here that’s messing up your analysis.

1) The Steelers have consistently, for decades, won with overwhelming defense and just-good-enough offense. What you’re calling “just lucky” has how the Steelers have been “just lucky” since the 1970s.

2) Turnovers occur in large numbers due to tough defense. This is especially true when the turnovers come from a well-coached offense like the Patriots.

3) The Steelers now have outscored opponents, what, 93-9 in the 3rd quarter of their games. This spells “superior coaching.” They adjust better than the average team during the half time break. When did the Steelers turn this game into a rout? 3rd quarter.

You’re right, Roethlisberger is not a great quarterback, he’s a good one. When have the Steelers ever needed a great quarterback? Terry Bradshaw? That’s as close as they’ve come, and frankly, that’s only a near miss. Neil O’Donnell? Bubby Brister? Todd Blackledge? Kordell Stewart? Mike Tomczak? Steeler football is bone-crunching defense, a powerful ground game with big, fast running backs, and just enough pass attack to get the job done.

philwynk on December 1, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Ace ODale on November 30, 2008 at 10:49 PM

This is the mark of a mediocre team. They could be great, but they’re not applying themselves attitudinally. Their performance in every game is determined by their view of the opponents, so they rise or fall to the level of their opponents.

philwynk on December 1, 2008 at 11:22 AM

“Roethlisberger is not a great quarterback, he’s a good one.”

He can still become great and the first step is limiting turnovers, which he has started to do.

The INT by Vrabel was because of a no-look screen pass. I’m not sure it was a bad pass, the no-look was how the play was designed.

For the past few games, Ben’s thrown the ball away rather than make a bad pass or take a sack. He’s finally protecting the ball better and if he can limit turnovers and the O-line can continue to protect him (as they’ve been able to do the last few weeks), they will make it to the Super Bowl because there is no one in the AFC who’s better.

NoDonkey on December 1, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Chiming in late to say: Go GGGGGGGGGGMEN!

Plaxico should go to jail, though. What a jerk.

gippergal1984 on December 1, 2008 at 4:51 PM

NoDonkey on December 1, 2008 at 9:42 AM

If the gun was unlicensed in NYC (a VERY hard thing to do) then it’s my understanding that the mandatory minimum sentence is 3 1/2 years. If the prosecutor goes for less, people will scream (rightly) favorable treatment.

jnelchef on December 1, 2008 at 5:17 PM