Quote of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on November 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

“I would like to be a person remembered as a person who, first and foremost, did not sell his soul in order to accommodate the political process. I came to Washington with a set of values, and I’m leaving with the same set of values. And I darn sure wasn’t going to sacrifice those values.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Any given president is the Peter Principle in living example. The job’s too big, as are our expectations. Which is why we need limited government, to reconcile our expectations with their abilities.

That said, Bush did some good things. Bush did some crappy things.

I’m most thankful for no terror attacks since 9/11.

I’m mighty angry about the spending spree that happened with his blessing. That will hurt my kids.

I don’t believe that the situation will get any better with Obama at the helm. All great reasons for limited government.

beatcanvas on November 30, 2008 at 5:53 PM

As soon as Barack Obama’s election was announced, Russia began rattling its sabre, threatening missiles in the Baltic and claiming Alaska for its own. Al Qaeda launched a major attack in Mumbai. We’ll see more of the some, certainly; Joe Biden (incredibly) was not wrong about this.
What it demonstrates is that the world’s leaders, and especially the world’s bad guys, respect George W. Bush. They did not do these things on his watch, because they’d learned the hard way that his responses had teeth. We’ll know some measure of what we were spared during his administration by the incidents that will follow in the coming months — and if Obama responds weakly, then we’ll learn the full measure of what we were spared, the hard way.
George W. Bush did plenty that deserves criticism: spending out of control, well-intentioned but wrong-headed education policy, expanding the federal medical bureaucracy, a poor approach to immigration, and the failure to use the veto pen over such abberations as McCain-Feingold. His worst failure was his complete inability to sell his agenda to the American people; he was entirely the hockey puck of the leftist media.
However, historians will note his success at protecting the nation during a particularly dangerous era; and if my expectations about Obama turn out to be correct, we’ll get a very, very clear picture of how well Bush protected us from the negative image of how poorly Obama will.
philwynk on November 30, 2008 at 8:30 AM

Yes. And I believe your post is every bit as frightening as it is accurate. But for the sake of ourselves and our country I will of course pray that you and I are both very wrong.

tartan on November 30, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Sure I disagree with him on a few things, but nobody is perfect but W has been a great leader and man for our county. Al Qaeda has been all but destroyed in Afghanistan and is weakened throughout the world. Osama is dead, its obvious he hasn’t made a video in years. Iraq while blundered at first is now a huge success.

Bush will be known as a war time president and nobody will eveer mentioned the issue of immigration in his legacy.

if you call yourself a Republican and dont support W then get the hell out of our party.

lavell12 on December 1, 2008 at 1:35 AM

He is the most pro life President ever so that itself makes him great.

Thanks W!!!

lavell12 on December 1, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Most Presidents get too much credit and too much blame for our countries successes and failures.

Unforutnately for Bush he gets the blame but none of the credit.

lavell12 on December 1, 2008 at 1:40 AM

I respect President Bush. I expected the Democrats to go after him. If I have been disillusioned, it is with the pundits and talking heads and cry baby back stabbers who call themselves conservatives..but who have worked hand in hand and shoulder to shoulder with their own socalled political enemies just to hurt Bush. Morons. Look what it got them: Barack Hussein Obama. Way to go guys.

Terrye on December 1, 2008 at 7:02 AM

And as far as spending is concerned, I doubt very much that a lot of that spending would have happened if not for 9/11. And how many fiscal conservatives who also happened to be hardliners on immigration ever gave a passing thought to what it would actually cost to round up and deport 11 million people? I know I never saw the numbers, they just wanted what they wanted. I supported the war on Terror, but I am not going to pretend that I thought it would be free.

And when Bush did try to reform entitlements, he got practically no support from his own party. When he did veto a spending bill members of his own party crossed that line to stand with the Democrats and over ride the veto.

And when it comes to the financial meltdown, Bush did not do anything that leaders of nations all over the world were not doing and a lot of the people who are angry about it have come up with no alternatives at all..other than bring on the Great Depression 2. If people think that will help his legacy or if they think that in the long run allowing the financial sector to collapse under a Republican president would actually help the Republican party, then they need to take another look at who won the election a few weeks ago. The American people are in no mood to be taught a lesson.

Terrye on December 1, 2008 at 7:09 AM

I’ve never written any letter to a president before, but last week I wrote and sent a letter to President Bush to just say “thank you” for all the personal sacrifices he made to successfully defend our country for the past seven years. I got people I know to co-sign the letter with me. I will certainly miss W when Obama is sworn in.

OneVision on December 1, 2008 at 9:02 AM