NFL Open Thread: Can Detroit win?

posted at 12:30 pm on November 27, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Uh, no.  The Tennessee Titans (10-1) will be coming off their first loss of the season, and they’re not likely to lose another to the hapless Detroit Lions (0-11).  Detroit plays its sixth home game of the season, but that didn’t help them against powerhouses like Green Bay and Washington.  The best entertainment in the traditional Lions game will be picking the spread.  I’m going to go with 24 points and predict the Titans will win 38-14.

The better games come later.  Seattle goes to Dallas, which should result in a Cowboys victory, but will be more competitive than the Titans-Lions affair.  The best game will be Arizona at Philadelphia, and I’ll pick Arizona by three points.

However, just to give Lions fans a break, I’ll use their widget in today’s post:

Comments

Can Detroit win?

HA!

not unless they start playing like MY JETSSSSS WHAAAAT!

ernesto on November 27, 2008 at 12:32 PM

even the widget is broken.

lorien1973 on November 27, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Wait, Detroit still has a football team?!

Go Cowboys!

smfoushee on November 27, 2008 at 12:39 PM

As a former Detroiter, and a Lions fan, it pains me to say: No Way. The same guy who owns the Detroit Lions is the same one who ran the Ford Motor Company into the ground. (In fact, Im surprised Bill Ford didnt ask for some of the TARP funds to bail out his football team.)

Detroit will go winless this season, Im afraid.

political_animal_2008 on November 27, 2008 at 12:41 PM

I beg to differ. I have it 38-13.

JammieWearingFool on November 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Weight of Glory on November 27, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Two plays…Tenn. touchdown. Gobble gobble

Weight of Glory on November 27, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Hey, they play the Vikings next week. I see a real opportunity there.

BigWyo on November 27, 2008 at 12:45 PM

They better not win. I don’t want another dream of a 0-16 season shattered. I came so freaking close last year with Miami before they had to go and ruin it with an overtime miracle win.

Doughboy on November 27, 2008 at 12:51 PM

And certainly not against the Titans.

Sapwolf on November 27, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Ah, thank God for hockey and the Redwings.

Sapwolf on November 27, 2008 at 12:58 PM

As a long suffering Lions fan (nearly 30 years!!), I hope the Lions lose by 50 points today. I hate this team & 0-16 is LESS than they deserve.

Firing Millen was my lone request for this year. Now, I think they will finally hit bottom & maybe build a football team going forward.

Happy Thanksgiving,

sdm

stvdog on November 27, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Pathetic.

Get these clowns off of turkey day.

Chubbs65 on November 27, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Detroit will go winless this season, Im afraid.

political_animal_2008 on November 27, 2008 at 12:41 PM

If you’re talking about Bill Ford Jr., he doesn’t own the team, his daddy William Clay Ford Sr. does, and Sr. has never had anything to do with FoMoCo. Jr. appears to be taking a larger role in the Lions, though, and probably had a big role in Millen getting fired, so I don’t see what’s so bad about that. I’ll give Jr. a few years before I pass judgment on him.

The Lions are finding out what “rock bottom” means right now. At least we’ll get the no. 1 pick, although knowing the Lions, they’ll probably do something stupid like waste it on a skill position instead of fixing their O and D-lines.

holygoat on November 27, 2008 at 1:22 PM

21-3 and with a shanked punt. Awesome.

But I still think they have a shot.

I still thought McCain had a shot too though.

forest on November 27, 2008 at 1:26 PM

snort. 28-3. not even halftime yet. May I giggle at the presumptuousness of the question ?? :)

grasshopper68 on November 27, 2008 at 1:36 PM

I agree, what a waste of a day-off football game, watching a perennial loser every single year.

I believe Matt Millen is now working at Cinnabon©, and even there he manages to burn everything and order the wrong supplies.

Bishop on November 27, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Can Detroit win? Yes, but not this season. Holy Moley, they are inept.

Krydor on November 27, 2008 at 1:38 PM

The announcers just said Detroit has 3 of the top 33 picks in the draft. I don’t think Ryan Leaf or Brain Bosworth will be available, but I’m sure they will find a way to screw it up.

forest on November 27, 2008 at 1:41 PM

The second game should be a real shocker too, with 2-9 Seattle burning it up.

Perhaps I’ll just go to the range instead.

Bishop on November 27, 2008 at 1:46 PM

It is obvious that the Lions need a bailout. With the money they could rent a real football team to play in their place.

rockdalian on November 27, 2008 at 1:47 PM

The question isn’t “will the Titans win?,” but “Will the Titans score 60 points?”

I say in the 50s but not 60.

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 1:52 PM

The second game should be a real shocker too, with 2-9 Seattle burning it up.

Perhaps I’ll just go to the range instead.

Bishop on November 27, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I don’t have a lot of hope for my Hawks. Now that Hasselbeck is back, they are playing better. Unfortunately, it’s as if they are going through pre-season again in the 12th week of the season. All I can hope for is a “good game.”

I bet you could get through 18 holes in 3 hrs. today. My wife tolerates the football today. If I were to hit the links, I’d be eating Thanksgiving dinner on the back porch.

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Gawd…TN has more touchdowns than Detroit has first downs.

Ugh, what a disaster.

Bishop on November 27, 2008 at 1:59 PM

I think both Duke’s football team and their female soccer team could beat detroit.

Chubbs65 on November 27, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Last week The Titans couldn’t rush or catch the freakin’ ball. It was miserable! The Lions look pathetic and their uniforms look like they were ordered from a middle school sports catalogue.

Kerry Collins has done one helluva job this season. Vince Young is where he belongs–on the sidelines.

robblefarian on November 27, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Hopefully the seahawks can beat those vile cowboys but i wouldn’t even bet Ed’s money on them getting within the spread. One good thing about seattle sucking is that there’s more room up in the stands, plus people seem to be leaving earlier so it gets even roomier come the 4th quarter. I’m a skins fan from maryland, so i dont really care much about the hawks winning, i’d rather be comfortable. just dont tell my wife i said that!

these football games are just time wasters for the true main event: the maryland terrapins vs michigan st in bball! i fear that may turn ugly, but at least it’ll help lions fans feel a bit better about themselves

hump1201 on November 27, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Seriously, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell needs to do what Pete Rozelle did 30 years ago with the dysfunctional organization that was the New York Football Giants. Stuck with feuding sides of the family and in Year 15 of a 17-year playoff drought, Rozelle pried George Young away from Don Shula in Miami and made him the team’s general manager. The playoff drought ended two years later and they won the Super Bowl five years after that.

That’s not a lightning-speed turnaround, but as bad as the Lions have been, any signs of improvement will at least give the fans a little sign of hope. But if you rely on William Clay Ford to do the smart thing on his own, you’re probably also buying Ford stock right now.

And even though the Lions stink, I’m against taking the Thanksgiving game away from them, in favor of “better” games as determined by the NFL in March and April. If they had done that this year, CBS could have gotten what looked like a possible Super Bowl preview eight months ago of San Diego at Cleveland as today’s early game. So the networks should be careful what they wish for (also, a bad early game is also good for getting the Thanksgiving dinner eating done, without having to worry about missing anything important. I’d have bigger problems if they moved the Cowboys’ late afternoon game to the 11:30 a.m. CST start).

jon1979 on November 27, 2008 at 2:40 PM

I’m rooting for the 2008 Lions to become immortal — the first team to go defeated for a whole season. The antithesis of the ’72 Dolphins.

EconomicNeocon on November 27, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Go Lions!

I just watched them today to help keep my thanks humble.

OneGyT on November 27, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I laughed. I cried. I got rickrolled!

(wish I’d watched the parade today, The Lions/Titans game was a complete waste of time!)

Vntnrse on November 27, 2008 at 3:57 PM

My favorite part of the lions game was when Jeff Fisher challeneged a Calvin Johnson catch while winning 44-10 with about 4 mins to go. NO MERCY

hump1201 on November 27, 2008 at 4:23 PM

They had a Sandra Bullock movie on Max. With that Dennis Miller in a serious role.

I buy Lions merchandise. Like Super Bowl XL mugs. Even though the winners of that contest are owned by a Obama 08 supporter.

IlikedAUH2O on November 27, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Cowboys drive for an opening TD. that was too easy. I hope Hasselbeck is on today.

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 4:35 PM

I bet 400 on TEN. Good call. =)

msipes on November 27, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Julius Jones isn’t going to impress the Cowboys with a fumble on his second carry. Snuffed out a good drive by the Seahawks. *sigh*

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Uh-oh. Cowboys have had the ball twice, and they have two touchdowns. So far in the game, they only have one play that has not gained positive yardage: an incomplete pass early in the first drive. The Seahawks D is little more than a speed bump.

I hope I can make it through the game.

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Detroit can win…if they’ve got a game against Purdue on their schedule. Short of that, the answer is GET SERIOUS!!!

LFRGary on November 27, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Hey! The Hawks are on the board. That’s something. 14-3

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 5:03 PM

End of 1st quarter 14-3 with Dallas on the move again. The Hawks really miss Patrick Kearney, or anyone that could pressure Romo.

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Oy! Cowboys are three for three. 21-3. That drive was a moral victory for Seattle: they held the Cowboys to no gain on one of the plays! Dallas now has more TDs than plays of no gain in yardage.

What time is dinner ready?

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 5:15 PM

The best site going about the Lions is the Curse of Bobby Layne. It’s just a cornucopia of schadenfreude concerning the Motor City Kitties. Highly recommended!

Mr. D on November 27, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Is anyone else tired of the player dances when a receiver gains a 1st down or a lineman makes a tackle? That’s their jobs. Let’s all celebrate when we do what we are supposed to do.

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Ahhh. The defense finally stopped the Cowboys and limited them to only 3 points. 24-3. And what do we have to look forward to at half time? The jonas brothers. It just keeps getting worse….

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Go Lions!!!! And take the Tigers with you!!!

righteouschops on November 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Hahahaha. The Cowboys had to punt. the D has made two stops in a row. Now the Offense has to get in the end zone.

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Another Seahawk field goal. I think I’ll go kiss my sister. FGs aren’t going to do it. 24-6.

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 5:47 PM

0-12. Nice since I’m hoping for them to go 0-16. If you’re going to stink, go all the way. I was listening to the game while running errands and was really pulling for Detroit to lose by 40.

Canadian Infidel on November 27, 2008 at 5:56 PM

End of the half. 24-6. the Hawks defenses ended the half with three straight stops. They found a way to put some pressure on Romo, which has disrupted the Dallas offensive flow.

Now, the Seahawks offensive line needs to get it together, so that Hasselbeck can keep hitting receivers. Matt has played well — when he has had chances.

It looks bleak, but let’s hold dinner for just a little while longer.

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 5:59 PM

I have watched the Lions for 45 years now and I only hope that my 2 year old grandson will live long enough to see the Lions actually win a play-off game, let alone a Super Bowl. Hopefully, they won’t screw things up by winning a game this year and without Matt Millan, be able to actually make a decent 1st round pick. Oh and also fire Marinelli, who has never been a head coach of any team, high school, college or the pros and it shows it. Who in their right mind would hire him to start with. Maybe now that William Clay Ford doesn’t have money to throw away and use the Lions for a tax right-off, he might actually spend enough to get a decent coach, quarterback and running back. I’m not holding my breathe.

flytier on November 27, 2008 at 6:11 PM

The Seahawks matched the Cowboys first three scores, 3 TDs, with 3 FGs. there is something wrong with this picture. Still, Hawks are only down 2 scores. Of course that means they have to be able to score a TD. 24-9.

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Looks like Detroit lost! Yay!!!! Sorry, they aren’t such a good team this year.

sheebe on November 27, 2008 at 6:57 PM

That’s not very accurate.

While the Ford family owns the class of stock that controls the company, for the most part the company is run by professional executives and managers.

William Clay Ford (Henry’s grandson, Edsel’s son) owns the Lions. His son Billy was CEO of Ford Motor Co. and is on the board of directors with his cousin Edsel II. Ford Sr. retired from the board three years ago, but really hasn’t had an active role in the company since the early 1960s. Billy actually initiated the turnaround process at Ford and was smart enough to step down in favor of Alan Mullaly, current Ford CEO who turned Boeing around. Most analysts believe FoMoCo to be in the best shape of the Detroit 3 and much less likely to fail than GM or Chrysler. Recognizing the need for cash to make it through a very rough patch, Ford used company assets as collateral to borrow billions before the current credit crunch. Whether Mullaly et al were prescient or just lucky remains to be seen.

You can say what you will about W.C. Ford Sr., but he’s not responsible for FoMoCo’s situation, or at least not nearly as responsible as Jaques Nasser.

rokemronnie on November 27, 2008 at 7:28 PM

William Clay Ford Sr. does, and Sr. has never had anything to do with FoMoCo.

Not completely accurate. As I said, WCF Sr. has been on the board since the 1950s when he was in charge of the short lived Continental division of FoMoCo. For some time he was chairman of the BOD. He’s said to have had a role in the development of the 50s era Continental Mark II. For the most part, though, his involvement in the company since the 1960s has been sitting on the BOD and cashing dividend checks.

Billy has a passion for cars but was in over his head as CEO, and smart enough to recognize that.

rokemronnie on November 27, 2008 at 7:34 PM

I kind of admire Rod Marinelli. He may not be a very good head coach (though with talent as poor as the Lions have it’s really hard to judge) but I kinda like the way he won’t quit. Gotta give him credit for that.

OTOH, I can’t see Jim Leyland, mgr of the Tigers, not ripping his own players publicly if they played this badly.

rokemronnie on November 27, 2008 at 7:38 PM

jon1979,

I don’t think the NFL cares how bad the Lions play. They do, however, care about their image and a near empty Ford Field in the second half of a nationally televised game was not the image they want to project and wasn’t, I’m sure, making a lot of happy faces in the NFL offices in NY.

rokemronnie on November 27, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Those aren’t their regular duds. They’re throwback uniforms from the 50s and 60s.

rokemronnie on November 27, 2008 at 7:42 PM

The Hawks dug a hole, or were rolled over into a hole, at the beginning of the game and never got out. Whatever their defensive game plan was, they didn’t alter it until after the Cowboys scored 3 straight TDs. After that, the Hawks D was much more effective, holding Dallas to 13 points.

Of course, it didn’t matter how deep the hole was. With the offensive line giving up 7 sacks, Hasselbeck didn’t have much of a chance to keep moving the Hawks. Although, they did have opportunities.

Hawks are 2-10 and may only win one more game the remainder of the year. To put a positive spin on this, they will have a relatively low draft number. Since most of their problems this year have been injury related, not talent related, they could be looking good for next year. A healthy team with a good draft pick. It’s something to look forward to…….

Mallard T. Drake on November 27, 2008 at 8:03 PM

The mighty mighty Maryland Terrapins are up 15 on the 6th ranked Spartans of Michigan State with 9 mins to go. Pretty good kick right in the nuts for the people of Michigan today if this lead holds. Go Terps!

hump1201 on November 27, 2008 at 8:44 PM

rokemronnie on November 27, 2008 at 7:40 PM

They’re lucky anyone is in the stands. As a lifetime Detroiter they aren’t even embarassing anymore, mentally you just need to “check out.” They’ve ruined my last Sunday afternoon. I’ve been watching since 1960 and they have been consistently pathetic. Even the radio guys were making fun of them today, how couldn’t they and not be honest. If you do watch them you have to view the game like it’s an episode of Gilligan’s Island, no matter how promising the situation looks during the show you know something is going to happen to not get off the island, or in this case off the schnide. I also feel for Marinelli, he strikes me as a stand up guy and his career shows he’s a good coach, obvisously not a good head coach. Matt Millen has dug the team a hole it could take a long time (one playoff win in 51 years!)to dig out of. Ford Sr. is a nice man but is clueless when it comes to how to run thhe organization. I’s love to see him sell the team, but I’m not holding my breath.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

freebird on November 27, 2008 at 9:39 PM

From someone who lives in the outer suburbs of Detroit. I wish Ford would sell the team, even if it meant them leaving town. They are awful and the entire organization is imbued with a culture of losing.

echosyst on November 28, 2008 at 12:14 AM