Warning on New York transit from DHS

posted at 11:22 am on November 26, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Out of an “abundance of caution,” the Department of Homeland Security made public a warning about a potential terrorist threat to New York City transit systems.  Calling the information “plausible but unsubstantiated,” DHS sent what’s being characterized as a “blunt” warning to law-enforcement agencies:

Federal authorities are warning law enforcement personnel of a possible terror plot against the New York City subway system during the holiday season.

An internal memo obtained by The Associated Press says the FBI has received a “plausible but unsubstantiated” report that al-Qaida terrorists in late September may have discussed attacking the subway system.

FBI spokesman Richard Kolko confirmed only that his agency and the Department of Homeland Security issued a bulletin last night to state and local authorities, and the information is being reviewed.

Department of Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said the warning was issued as a routine matter, but added that there may be an increased police presence in New York and other large metropolitan areas.

The Big Apple has found itself the subject of similar warnings in the past.  They’ve passed without incident, thankfully, which has led to some complacency on the part of Americans.  Some accused the Bush administration of politicizing such warnings, coming near elections, but al-Qaeda’s MO in their attacks on the West have mostly been connected to elections.

Will people make the same accusations against Barack Obama?  Hopefully it won’t be an issue, and hopefully the threat announced today will go unrealized.

Comments

and hopefully the threat announced today will go unrealized.

If something were to Happen… who would be blamed?

Bush (more then likely) or Obama (who could be blamed as well due to lack of experience).

upinak on November 26, 2008 at 11:25 AM

May God Bless and protect the USA.

Zorro on November 26, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Let us pray it is not going to happen or that our Department of Homeland Security (how I hate that term) stops it in time.

kanda on November 26, 2008 at 11:26 AM

I sure hope nothing happens in the Sub ways. If it does, then what?

sheebe on November 26, 2008 at 11:29 AM

I sure hope President Bush can close out his tenure with a perfect record of foiling attacks within the USA. It’s a great legacy, and a signal accomplishment of the War Against Global Islamic Terror.

MrLynn on November 26, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Let’s all pray for AllahPundit.

BadgerHawk on November 26, 2008 at 11:31 AM

As I said earlier, can’t let these freaks get the better of us. I will take the subway as and when I please. That said, I will pay full attention to anything that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

Paraphrasing Petula Clark “Don’t sleep in the subway– you’ll miss your own mugging.

J.J. Sefton on November 26, 2008 at 11:33 AM

sheebe on November 26, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Then we pray for the souls lost and we continue the war with renewed resolve to send all the terrorists to hell…..

kanda on November 26, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Praying for our country ALL the time.
ANOTHER reason not to live in a big city.

I sure hope nothing happens in the Sub ways. If it does, then what?

sheebe on November 26, 2008 at 11:29 AM

People will moan & cry, see psychiatrists for a while, then on to business as usual.

Badger40 on November 26, 2008 at 11:33 AM

By the way, when was that picture taken, 1982???

J.J. Sefton on November 26, 2008 at 11:34 AM

or Obama (who could be blamed as well due to lack of experience).

Obarfy has experience with this sort of thing, he ran for POTUS and has terrorist buddies.

Bishop on November 26, 2008 at 11:35 AM

I’ve taken many transit systems around North America and in the UK. I have to say that New York City has THE BEST I have ever seen. They’re punctual, polite and efficient. I could not ask for more. Anyone agree?

KillerKane on November 26, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Sleigh rides in the snow, presents under the tree and plausible but unsubstantiated threats.

RedWinged Blackbird on November 26, 2008 at 11:40 AM

… al-Qaida terrorists in late September may have discussed attacking the subway system.

Huh? They probably talk about it EVERYDAY! But that’s all it is, TALK, because the U.S. military and our Allies are killing these pricks by the truckload in Afghanistan and Waziristan! Thank you Troops for keeping us free and safe!

Tony737 on November 26, 2008 at 11:41 AM

They’re punctual, polite and efficient. I could not ask for more. Anyone agree?

For the most part (try the Prague, Czech Republic system for a truly hair-raising experience) except the last time I was in NYC and needed a little help finding the proper platform. The booth attendant I queried gave me essentially the “What is you, an idjit?”

Bishop on November 26, 2008 at 11:43 AM

“Dashing through the sand,
with a bomb strapped to my back,
I’ve got some no-good plans,
for Christmas in Iraq.

I got past check point A,
but not past check point B,
that’s when I got shot in the azz,
by the U.S. military.”

- Achmed the dead terrorist

Tony737 on November 26, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Tony737 on November 26, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Yep and I would add that perpetual vigilance at home keeps us safe as well. Our PD, FD, emergency workers and our ever present Homeland Security folks …thank you all

kanda on November 26, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Tony737 on November 26, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Ohhhhh Jingle Bombs… Jingle Bombs…

I love achmed.

upinak on November 26, 2008 at 11:46 AM

They’re punctual, polite and efficient. I could not ask for more. Anyone agree?

UHmn… I ride the subway everyday. And that is awfully nice of you to say. While it is certainly better than it was in the 70′s and 80′s, it is still a pain in the @ss. That photo is definitely from the 80′s when graffitti covered surface and you couldn’t even see out of the windows to tell where you were.

I just wish people would pay more attention in these times of terror. Every where I look riders are doused in iPod wires and staring mindlessly into electronic gadgets. I hate to think of my life depending on any one them.

Urban Infidel on November 26, 2008 at 11:49 AM

I lived in NYC for three years, and could count all the significant difficulties on one hand. While the process does involve patience, they generally work as advertised. It was very easy to take it for granted.

I then had the misfortune to experience Toronto’s pathetic excuse for transit, which cost me several jobs because they often didn’t show up. I lost my cool several times with them, especially after one tried to run me over.

After that, I apologized to the first NYC transit supervisor I could find and apologized for not appreciating how good the service was. He was grateful. Now, I am unflinchingly polite to bus operators anywhere, except Ontario where I will never set foot again. On the whole, they do a good job.

KillerKane on November 26, 2008 at 11:56 AM

I half expect the Beastie Boys to hop out of that picture and yell, NO. SLEEP. TILLBROOKLYN!!!!!!

Alden Pyle on November 26, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Urban Infidel on November 26, 2008 at 11:49 AM

I just looked at the Veterans Day pictures at your website. It is sure great to see the Firemen, Korean and Vietnam war vets marching with the more recent troops. I really like the picture of the two Marines on the sidewalk Marching. God I love these new Marines and the other services. They make me very proud. Their sacrifice is why we stay free.

kanda on November 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM

They’re punctual, polite and efficient. I could not ask for more. Anyone agree?

KillerKane on November 26, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Eh. I have no complaints. Then again, I’ve only used them on one short trip and have very little experience with public transit. It’s not so big anywhere in Texas.

Esthier on November 26, 2008 at 12:02 PM

KillerKane on November 26, 2008 at 11:37 AM

I live outside of NYC, and I use their transit system every few months. I’ve generally had good experiences. The Long Island Rail Road is generally awesome and on time. I use that a lot more. Generally people are very helpful. The LIRR is really clean when I ride it as well.

blatantblue on November 26, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Kanda: Thank you very much. The Veterans Day Parade is ALWAYS my favorite. Love our fighing men and women!

Urban Infidel on November 26, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Kanda, I agree, Urban’s photo-essays kick azz!

Tony737 on November 26, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Urban Infidel on November 26, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I saw quite a few great pics in your blog.

VNVMC, DAV, PGR, VFW… it was great.

upinak on November 26, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Urban Infidel on November 26, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I saw your photos a few weeks ago and saw you had a few of Dan Maloney! I’ve met him a few times out in Suffolk at a weekly rally. He’s a great guy

blatantblue on November 26, 2008 at 12:15 PM

KillerKane on November 26, 2008 at 11:37 AM

I couldn’t agree more. People are generally pretty nice if you ask for help as well.

crr6 on November 26, 2008 at 12:16 PM

SIGN THE PETITION TO FORCE BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA TO PRESENT HIS QUALIFICATIONS.

PETITION FOR PUBLIC RELEASE OF
BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA’S BIRTH CERTIFICATE

To: Electoral College, Congress of the United States, Federal Elections Commission, U.S. Supreme Court, President of the United States, other controlling legal authorities

Whereas, by requirement of the United States Constitution, Article 2, Section 1, no one can be sworn into office as president of the United States without being a natural born citizen;

Whereas, there is sufficient controversy within the citizenry of the United States as to whether presidential election winner Barack Obama was actually born in Hawaii as he claims;

Whereas, Barack Obama has refused repeated calls to release publicly his entire Hawaiian birth certificate, which would include the actual hospital that performed the delivery;

Whereas, lawsuits filed in several states seeking only proof of the basic minimal standard of eligibility have been rebuffed;

Whereas, Hawaii at the time of Obama’s birth allowed births that took place in foreign countries to be registered in Hawaii;

Whereas, concerns that our government is not taking this constitutional question seriously will result in diminished confidence in our system of free and fair elections;

The above article appears on WorldNetDaily.

AdrianS on November 26, 2008 at 12:18 PM

New Yorkers are the best. I remember my amazement the first time I went there and they seemed….friendly…gosh I never expected that. Over the years I learned they are for real and I just fell in love with the place. Very special people and a part of America that the world knows.

kanda on November 26, 2008 at 12:19 PM

AdrianS on November 26, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Must you post this stupid petition so much? It is becoming very boring and time wasting to see it. You gotta get a life. Obama is with us for 4 years and if you keep posting this maybe 8 years. Happy Thanksgiving and have a nice day!

kanda on November 26, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Quick, somebody change the color of the lightbulb, lives are at stake.

LimeyGeek on November 26, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Federal authorities are warning law enforcement personnel of a possible terror plot against the New York City subway system during the holiday season………

Thank GOD that the New York Times has posted every which way our intelligence agencies have tried to track suspected terrorist, and police departments can not profile………….. whew!

…………….. That could have been one hell of a “violated my civil rights” law suit.

Seven Percent Solution on November 26, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Quick, somebody change the color of the lightbulb, lives are at stake.

LimeyGeek on November 26, 2008 at 12:24 PM

To what? That interesting blue so they don’t shoot up and it is harder to see your viens?

upinak on November 26, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Just to keep you all completely aware, the press releases covering heightened alerts in NYC rarely line up to when the average NYC subway rider [that's me] sees the extra security on the trains. I can tell you that there certainly are threats and responses that do NOT get announced / covered in the news. I would say 2 or 3 times a month there is a (unannounced) larger-than-normal police presence. I ride every day, so I know. The changes take the form of add’l officers, random bag check setups, SWAT patrols, and the like. Personally, I prefer heightened security measures to go on in that way – that is, unannounced. One is typically very aware of the subway environment to begin with. There is no sense, as a rider, in obsessing over what can go bad, as I don’t see that ultimately aiding your survival in the God-forbidden event of an emergency. It’s hard enough already!

LibertyBoyNYC on November 26, 2008 at 12:40 PM

12:40 PM

And to add, I am less concerned with the well-deserved reputation of security the NYPD and DHS provides, and I am more concerned, and hear me out, with a subway strike which effectively throws a monkeywrench in every security model that involves the city’s mass transit. The last Holiday season strike was quite chaotic and, I’m sure, severely exacerbated some security issues and created surprises.

LibertyBoyNYC on November 26, 2008 at 12:45 PM

This Texan takes his liberties poking fun at the NuYawkers, and the NuYawkers take their liberties poking fun at Texans but I’ll say this…

God help the jihadi-dog if a bunch of New Yorkers get onto him before he has a chance to act. They’ll need CSI Miami, NY, Las Vegas and NCIS to put the son-of-a-bitch back together.

Limerick on November 26, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Were any of you paying attention during the recent election?

According to the pundits, Al-Queda was desperately afraid of the election of President of the World Obama. Why? Considering his planet-wide popularity, any attacks against the US risks a unified response that will include all-out military support from all of our friends in Europe, Russia, the Middle East, Asia, and South America.

Now don’t you think that knowledge has ol’ bin Laden quaking in his boots? And since that has to be true…I mean, our impartial media told us it is!…there’s no way they’d even think about trying to pull off more attacks.

So relax :)

rvastar on November 26, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Tony737, upinak, Kanda and blatantblue thanks so much. I really appreciate your kind words.

blatantblue, I’ve worked with Dan Maloney many times. He is a super guy. I’m going to see him again next month at the Christmas party over at the Soldiers and Sailors Club in Manhattan.

Urban Infidel on November 26, 2008 at 12:56 PM

AQ alert right on schedule. Complicated this year by the missing Minnesota Somali splodies.
Geez, I hate those guys.

sandspur on November 26, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Tony737 on November 26, 2008 at 11:45 AM
Ohhhhh Jingle Bombs… Jingle Bombs…

I love achmed.

upinak on November 26, 2008 at 11:46 AM

“I KILL YOU!”

I love him too, especially those eyebrows.

Laura in Maryland on November 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Once the terrorists focus on some location, they tend to be a little … fanatical … about carrying out an attack there. The Sept. 11 attack came after they failed to bring down the WTC in 1993 with the van bomb. In 1996 they tried to blow up the major subway transfer complex in downtown Brooklyn and were caught before they could carry that out, so chances are that plan hasn’t been forgotten (the Brooklyn complex borders an Arab-American neighborhood, which made it easier to try and carry out the attack from a local safe house. This one sounds like they want to try and do it at a station closer to the main shopping areas in Manhattan, though there are places in Brooklyn and Queens near subway stops that would also qualify.

jon1979 on November 26, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Let’s all pray for AllahPundit.
BadgerHawk on November 26, 2008 at 11:31 AM

I wouldn’t worry too much. There is no known evidence that AP ever leaves his apartment.

eeyore on November 26, 2008 at 1:10 PM

jon1979 on November 26, 2008 at 1:08 PM

The Roosevelt Avenue station in Queens is a prime target, I’m sure. I agree with all of your assertions. I fear attacks in Queens and Brooklyn more than I fear attacks in Manhattan.

LibertyBoyNYC on November 26, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Urban Infidel on November 26, 2008 at 12:56 PM

I’ve met him only 2 or 3 times in Suffolk county where some of us hold a weekly pro-soldier rally. We’ve been doing it every saturday for 3 years and Dan comes when he can. If not, sometimes his friends come and set up after us when we have to leave, so they can continue the rally. They’ve been real nice. I hope to see him soon

blatantblue on November 26, 2008 at 1:17 PM

About a decade ago riding the 7 Train from Flushing to Manhattan, I saw a guy wearing Arab clothing mouthing to himself. I guess he was praying. The thought emerged that something was up.

Of course on that same train, titled the International Express, I saw Peruvian Indians, Mexican deaf-mute kids (who later ended up on the news for being exploited) and all kinds of other things. All time favorite: two NYPD officers banging their night sticks on a dumpster where a homeless guy was sleeping.

NYPD are THE BEST cops. I had to call 911 once in NYC – they came out within 15 minutes. While they weren’t optimistic that they could find my bike, I wish I had given them commendations for their courtesy, professionalism and respect. Awesome. Years later I had to call 911 in Toronto – they told me it wasn’t their department. Never called them again. Elsewhere in Canada they were far more helpful.

Don’t get me started on the FDNY – professional heroes.

KillerKane on November 26, 2008 at 1:20 PM

for a system that big it runs remarkably well.

every night I take a trip on the R from downtown Manhattan to Brooklyn. I noticed an substantial police presence in the Whitehall station last night, and now it makes sense.

jus have to keep your eyes open and pray for the best.

thebrokenchair on November 26, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Limerick on November 26, 2008 at 12:46 PM

IMO, it depends on the neighborhood. Up by Columbia U they might restrain the suicide bomber just long enough to transport him to a podium and an open mic.

LibertyBoyNYC on November 26, 2008 at 1:45 PM

KillerKane on November 26, 2008 at 1:20 PM

That Muslim guy is still on the 7 train, by the way, still riding, still mumbling. In the 10 years since you rode it, it’s become 75% Chinese. I can’t get a seat most mornings.

LibertyBoyNYC on November 26, 2008 at 1:49 PM

My initial reaction to the prisoners terrorists captured in Afghanistan was that if they didn’t like Guantanamo Bay, we can always hand them over to the NYPD, FDNY, and PAPD. After what those working class guys from the NYC area would do to them, Gitmo would seem like paradise.

KillerKane on November 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM

The terrorist attacks underway in India are very vivid. Fox has live reporting from the scene. In what was formerly called Bombay India. seems like multiple attacks are underway

kanda on November 26, 2008 at 2:54 PM

From The People’s Cube:

Twelfth Imam is Coming to Town

by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
(translated from the Farsi by Laika the Space Dog)

You have no clout
You better not spy
You better watch out, I’m telling you why.
Twelfth Imam is coming to town

H-Bomb is on list
I’ll use more than twice
Good Muslims who die
Will go to paradise
Twelfth Imam is coming to town

He knows if you’re a Christian
He knows if you’re a Jew
He knows if you’re an in-fi-del
He’s told me what to do

So….You have no clout
You better not spy
You better watch out, I’m telling you why.
Twelfth Imam is coming to town
Twelfth Imam is coming to town

chunderroad on November 26, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Really? That picture dude. As for the terror attack, New York Target during Holiday Season!!!!! And what’s new about that?

ac1 on November 26, 2008 at 6:15 PM

You do realize that it is unconstitutional to appoint Hillary to a cabinet post, right?

corona on November 26, 2008 at 6:54 PM

I think the tough new yorkers you speak of, are not the pansy metro-riding ones. The ones that take the subway are the Obamabots with backpacks and bottled water, white collar office workers, or ACORN volunteers.

keep the change on November 27, 2008 at 12:56 AM

keep the change on November 27, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Bro, everyone takes a train or a bus in NYC. The professional, the poor, the immigrant, the hipster d-bag, and everything in-between. It’s a matter of physics – small space, many people. Traffic. You can’t walk across a river. Only the top 1% can pay for parking every day, and even those people fall back to the trains when it gets tight. And there ain’t no “metro”. I don’t know which Hollywood representation you get your images from, but I suggest you pack up and move in for a few years!

LibertyBoyNYC on November 27, 2008 at 9:23 AM