Peggy Noonan: The media wants to make Palin the face of the GOP

posted at 12:43 pm on November 26, 2008 by Allahpundit

It’s true, isn’t it? Palinmania’s always had a perverse “strange bedfellows” dynamic insofar as the base is convinced she’s the savior of conservatism while the left’s convinced she’s the ruin of it. Hence their mutual interest in raising her profile. (For a stark illustration of the point, hold your nose and watch the “Thank You” parody at HuffPo’s humor site.) It’s no mystery which camp Noonan’s in; what is a mystery is the extent to which each side’s simply reacting and overreacting to the other, goading each other into ratcheting up the praise and vilification in an endless backlash cycle. Douthat names that as a key omission from my post about the difference between Palin and Huck, in fact: While Huckabee’s always been chummy with the national media, notwithstanding the occasional Rolling Stone piece calling him a lunatic, she’s been derided since day one. Since there are few better gauges of conservative authenticity among the grassroots than press treatment — just ask Maverick — Huck will forever trail her in the great bona fides sweepstakes.

Long story short, the left’s laying a bet that she’ll be easy pickings down the line and the right’s laying a bet that she’s here to save the day. And the pot just keeps getting bigger and bigger. How lucky do you feel? Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

I noticed this during her debate with Biden. When he got emotional talking about the car accident that killed his wife and almost killed a son, Simple Sarah simply looked ahead with her face down a bit and seemingly with a slight smirk on her face!
Shelby on November 28, 2008 at 4:16 PM

As a surviving sibling (1 dead brother and 1 dead sister by the time I was 15), maybe Simple Shelby, Gov. Palin already knew Lyin’ Biden had multiple times distorted the details of his wife’s accident and that Lyin’ Biden was shamefully exploiting their deaths once again?

What do you think YTS?????!!!!!!!

Branch Rickey on November 30, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Why does Sarah hate animals so much, anyway?! The only animals ever associated with Sarah are bloody ones! The aerial hunting, bloody dead moose pics, the dead bear in her Gov. office, and turkey slaughtering! Not once have I seen a photo or interview of Sarah with a family pet! NOT ONCE! Of course, she’s busy now with 5 kids, but what about the past?!

To those of you who say “we like her cause she’s like us”, well she’s not! Most American voters are animal lovers and Sarah’s image regarding animals is BAD to say the least!

Shelby on November 27, 2008 at 5:23 AM

Shelby,

How old are you? Your comments on this thread seem pretty juvenile. I’ve seen the pictures of Palin with the family dog. She knows that animals are not people and should not be brought to the level of people. I used to have a female sheltie named Angel. She was the best dog in the world. I loved her. But she is a dog. There is no way I could sink a couple thousand bucks to keep her living to 15 years old when my family comes first, including my son.

You need to grow up. Aerial hunting (or transporting) of wolves to keep their numbers managed to preserve the caribou herds is good game mgt. due to the higher costs involved in trying to track them by foot. It is responsible.

I have two questions for you and other Americans that “love animals”:

1) What state do you live in?

2) What is the wolf population of YOUR state?

I live in Alabama, and we have NO wolves. Why, because they were killed off, AlL killed OFF years ago.

At least Alaskans have not killed off their wolves.

Stop pointing out the sliver in the eye of one, when their is a two by four in your own eye. Hypocrite!

Sapwolf on November 30, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Shelby on November 28, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Shelby, I understand that you don’t like Sarah Palin, but you need to calm down. You’re not convincing anyone.

Hunting and eating animals is a way of life not only in Alaska but in most of rural America. Here in the People’s Republic of Arlington, VA, my meat comes wrapped in cellophane and with a brand name on it. I just happen to understand that someone had to do the dirty work to deliver me my ground beef or my chicken in a safe, healthy manner instead of shrieking about it.

And the medical records nonsense?! Please. There’s a list much longer of unanswered questions about Barack Obama. Focus on that. While you’re at it, focus on his barbarism towards unborn CHILDREN and lay off the hysterics about the wolves, or whatever you were complaining about. I couldn’t read all your comments in full because they gave me a headache.

gippergal1984 on December 1, 2008 at 4:38 PM