University cancels cystic fibrosis fundraiser because disease only affects white men

posted at 5:35 pm on November 25, 2008 by Allahpundit

It only kills people like Dean Barnett. Not nearly progressive enough.

Cystic fibrosis “has been recently revealed to only affect white people, and primarily men” said the motion read to student councillors, who voted almost unanimously in favour of it…

Carleton students have fanned out across the city near the beginning of the school year to raise money to fight the illness for years. But according to the motion read Monday night to student councillors, “all orientees and volunteers should feel like their fundraising efforts will serve the their (sic) diverse communities.”…

“I think they see this, in their own twisted way, as a win for diversity,” said Mr. Bergamini. “I see it as a loss for people with cystic fibrosis.”…

Carleton University Students’ Association president Brittany Smyth said student council has been considering rotating the beneficiary of Shinearama instead of always giving the money to one charity.

The counterargument to this insanity? Noting that CF affects non-white people, too, which means it can be safely fought.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m sure those pathetic brainwashed students don’t even understand why this is so offensive.

PattyJ on November 25, 2008 at 11:34 PM

I defy you to find a more bigoted group than “liberals.” They don’t have anything BUT preconceptions.

Merovign on November 25, 2008 at 11:36 PM

This guy’s wife is white, but she sure isn’t male: http://cfhusband.blogspot.com/

What a horrible reason for this decision.

darcee on November 25, 2008 at 11:42 PM

So Sickle cell anemia is the only WORTHY disease to donate for a cure to huh?

John The Baptist on November 26, 2008 at 12:56 AM

I had a female cousin pass away years ago from CF when she was 18.

I find this offensive and shallow.

cryptojunkie on November 26, 2008 at 2:08 AM

Do we need to bring up sickle cell anemia?

Brian1972 on November 25, 2008 at 5:39 PM

So should we stop helping those with sickle cell animia because that disease is not inclusive enough?

Mr. Joe on November 25, 2008 at 5:43 PM

My first thought too.

Tzetzes on November 26, 2008 at 2:23 AM

Carleton U. Still putting the “K” in Kwality Education.

Gaunilon on November 26, 2008 at 4:05 AM

I live with a mild form of CF. Luckily I live a fairly normal life, but there are tens of thousands that can’t. These administrators must be called out as the hateful bigots that they are.

The fact that they can be racist while patting themselves on their backs as they celebrate their progressive thought makes me want to vomit.

When I emailed this story to my wife, she cried. We are expecting our first son, and there is a small chance that he may be born with CF as I am a carrier.

Our child will be born 1/4 Mexican. Is that diverse enough for these clowns?

badpenguin on November 26, 2008 at 7:16 AM

Others wondered if the student association decision would affect alumni donations to the university.

This is the money quote. The very thing that University administrations understand, and live in fear of upsetting. Cut the donated funds that support students and someone will get the message real quick.

Yoop on November 26, 2008 at 7:56 AM

Well then they won’t be raising funds for Sickle Cell Anemia either if they stick to their guns. What a shame.

Oh and Carleton we tossed that recruitment letter you sent my kid.

FireBlogger on November 26, 2008 at 9:13 AM

We have entered the era of politically correct diseases. This one is now officially on the OK-to-die-from list over at Carleton U.

Hopefully the cockroaches over there are scurrying about trying to figure out what they did wrong. Maybe they’ll actually stumble upon the answer. I doubt it, however — because liberalism is a debilitating disease, and it takes years to cure it.

unclesmrgol on November 26, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Where is Carleton U.? Is it a primarily black school? I want to know because if I ever hear of anyone who wants to go there, I will try to talk them out of attending a place whose outlook on the world is not only narrow, it’s stupid.

jeanie on November 26, 2008 at 9:42 AM

So does this mean that we can now stop forking over millions of dollars for AIDS research? While we’re at it, we need to get rid of all government funding for all STD research. Why? Because these diseases do not affect people who practice responsible behavior. How about giving that money to research cures for things like breast cancer, Lou Gehrig’s, and Alzheimer’s, diseases that aren’t affected by the choices of the individual? If the idea is to only give money to “equal opportunity” diseases, then I’m all for it.

Send_Me on November 26, 2008 at 9:48 AM

What if a school decided to stop supporting Sickle Cell Anemia because it primarily affects black men?

Sir Corky on November 26, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Casually work the word “eskimo” into a conversation with a PC Canadian, in an entirely non-offensive way, and they will cringe in horror.

Greek Fire on November 26, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Imagine if the US government allowed millions of native Frenchmen to immigrate to America and proclaimed it was insensitive that they be asked to speak English and that they had the right to not only go on speaking French but to parade around insulting Yankee culture within America’s borders.

Then imagine all your tax dollars had to go towards subsiding the French immigrant community so they could spend all their time promoting ’superior’ French culture and lounging around in art galleries. Would that seem fair?

aengus on November 25, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Make this easy and replace “French” with “Spanish”, then no imagination is required.
Tangential anecdote: Two weeks ago I was back in the States, specifically a certain suburb of Seattle, with a group of coworkers from my office in a certain Asian country. The group decided to go to a pan-Asian buffet place that used to be pretty good. The kitchen area is mostly visible from the dining area, and I noticed there were about 15 Mexicans preparing the food, with not a single Asian, white or black. Does the US grant visas to Mexican sushi chefs now? Unsurprisingly the quality sucked.

DarkCurrent on November 26, 2008 at 10:43 AM

How is it the first people to yell racism are the first to discriminate? I guess they know what they’re talking about.

catholic_cowgirl on November 26, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Just when I thought I had seen all the PC they could muster, they throw a new one out there.

Done That on November 26, 2008 at 11:46 AM

And Tay Sachs only affects Jews. And sickle cell only affects blacks. Can a university be more asinine than this? Who cares about the color of the person being served as long as the disease is eliminated?

I’d betcha that they’re still raising money for sickle cell.

SilentWatcher on November 26, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Of all the people I know who have, or currently do attend Carleton, none of them agrees with pretty much any of the policies of the CUSA. I’m pretty sure these people keep getting elected because everyone with any common sense has written off the CUSA so the PC police wannabes are the only ones running.

The good news is that outside of the CUSA meetings, the response to this decision has been almost universal disgust.

This is the same group of ‘student representatives’ who passed a motion banning any group that held a view that was not pro-abortion from receiving any CUSA funding or being able to use any CUSA facilities (which are suppose to be open to all students).

Bic667 on November 26, 2008 at 2:15 PM